Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are you proud to be an anime fan?
Nov 8, 2020 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
People say that a lot of things are cringe nowadays but what about watching anime and labelling yourself as a fan or an Otaku or a weeb or a person of culture?

Anime fans are some of the most diverse, educated, creative, passionate and woke people out there. But we also have furries, lolicons, etc and we are looked at and look at each other as uncouth derelicts and delinquents who are overweight, lazy, smelly, horny virgins and oddballs and are of little use or benefit to society.

So how do you feel about your place in the anime community? Are you proud to be one of us or do you hate yourself for it?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 8, 2020 10:53 PM

Dec 2014
Lmao yeah! I know anime has its weird side to it, but honestly, I feel like there are non-anime things that are weirder out there. So if anyone really has a "problem" with me liking anime, then that's on them. It's a hobby I enjoy for myself anyway. Although I do have to say, as long as a person isn't being too extreme, then there's no reason to be ashamed for liking anime.
Nov 8, 2020 10:58 PM

Jul 2020
It is cringe only when fans start to make Jojo stance and Weaboes start to talk Japanese in front of normal people.Its only because of these fans that normal people think that every anime fan is a creep.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 8, 2020 11:24 PM

Jun 2014
It's not cringe to simply like anime, there's nothing shameful about anime as a medium itself - what is more likely to be cringey is labeling yourself a weeb or otaku, because the reality is those labels come with a lot of negative stereotypes, and welcoming said prejudices with an open, prideful stance can be off-putting.

Sorta similar to feminists and vegans. Absolutely nothing wrong with advocating equal rights for all sexes or choosing not to eat animal-based products, it's just that some labels come with a lot of negative connotations and many avoid labeling themselves as part of such groups, even when their views align.
Nov 8, 2020 11:39 PM

Jul 2020
I simply don't care lmao. You shouldn't either.

バンの一味
Nov 9, 2020 12:08 AM

Mar 2019
I am immensely proud to be an anime fan. I wholeheartedly consider myself to be both a weeb and an otaku. I don't care about stereotypes, what outsiders think, or about the opinions of poseurs within the anime community who are desperately trying to change the culture of the community so that they won't be negatively stereotyped anymore.

The fact is, anime is a community for outsiders, outcasts, and weirdos. Its for people who never quite felt like they fit in anywhere else. The fact that this is an accurate stereotype, and the fact that outsiders may look down upon us for adhering to this stereotype, is not something to be ashamed of. It is something to embrace with pride.

As far as your life circumstances go, you could be a NEET, or you could be a doctor. Doesn't matter. Its all about mindset. The people I look down upon, and the people I don't want in this community are people who want to change the community so that they won't be negatively stereotyped anymore. Quite frankly, I could not care less if some random person thinks I'm a loser or a weirdo. I'm not gonna try to do anything to change their perception. The only person's standards and expectations I care for adhering to is my own, and the people who are close to me.
Ryuk9428Nov 9, 2020 12:12 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2020 12:12 AM

Apr 2020
I don't really care at all, i do what i like. I'm used to being ignorant of what people said
Nov 9, 2020 12:16 AM

Jun 2017
imagine unironically liking anime, i mean, you're all in with the joke right?
Nov 9, 2020 12:17 AM

Sep 2008
it's not cringe to like anime. I'm not proud to be an anime fan. there's nothing to be proud of, it's just a hobby. I'm not calling myself a weeb, I don't consider myself an outaku. I simply watch anime and like it.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 9, 2020 12:19 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Absolutely proud to be an Avid Anime Fan! Some call me "Weeb" and/or "Otaku" and honestly I don't find myself too insulted by such remarks.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 9, 2020 12:19 AM

May 2020
Absolutely not. It might be a little cringe (for some people) to behave like an anime character but it's not cringe to be anime fan.
My MALoween✟Mansion 2022 Candies :
Nov 9, 2020 12:25 AM

Sep 2020
honestly i find "cringe" just a bad term in general. i think there are ppl that go "over the top" especially in that rough middle school age time, but ppl shouldn't feel ashamed for what they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i think there are a lot more mature anime fans and then fans that are more expressive and/or childish, and both are very valid options.
Nov 9, 2020 12:31 AM

Aug 2019
When someone's just getting into anime in their early teens and they start spamming Jojo references everywhere while drawing the Konoha symbol on their forehead, yeah, that's kinda cringe, but all or most of us outgrow that honeymoon phase, so I think the cringe anime fans are just a minority.
Nov 9, 2020 12:35 AM

Mar 2012
Dude, cringe if only someone like Borat would wear a loli dress and say to you "oniisan, daisuki" in front of crowd.
Nov 9, 2020 12:55 AM

Oct 2010
In an era where everybody can binge Evangelion on Netflix, why are people still talking about otaku and normal people?
Nov 9, 2020 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
Depends on one's behavior. Also, calling yourself a weeb is already pretty cringe cuz it's usually just as incorrectly overused as the word "simp" or whatever. "A person of culture" is normally used by avid hentai watchers, virgin coomers and other shitlords.
Nov 9, 2020 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
The question is do you give a shit if others say if its cringe or not for me personally i couldn't care less about others opinion
Nov 9, 2020 1:47 AM

Aug 2018
Nope

It is awesome if it's something you truly enjoy :)
Nov 9, 2020 1:49 AM

Oct 2020
nah not really, but if you have the balls to watch hentai in a crowded place then might as well consider yourself as one.
Nov 9, 2020 2:19 AM

May 2018
"Is it cringe to be an anime fan?"

It doesn't feel cringe.
Maybe other people see me as cringe but I don't really care.
alshuNov 9, 2020 3:57 AM
Nov 9, 2020 2:25 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
To me it's like you're asking if it's cringe to be a human being

It essentially boils down to who's talking imo. I don't consider myself or anybody I'm close with cringe, no matter the difference in our tastes. I do admit that some "outdated" things are quite cringy such as certain fads then and some manner of speech (as in how someone composes sentences here) but, I mean a lot of us goes through that phase right? So I try not to judge or be a hypocrite tbh
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Nov 9, 2020 2:30 AM

Feb 2020
Yes im the biggest cringe everrrrrrrr
Nov 9, 2020 2:38 AM

Oct 2017
I hate the word cringe and the whole cringe culture. The thinking boils down to thinking what other people see as 'normal'. In reality no one is 'normal' and everyone has weird quirks and sides in their character. I don't think liking anything is cringe, as it is such a limiting way of thinking.

One example is music. Some people cringe when they hear Lil Pump, Eminem etc. However Lil Pump fans don't care a bit about what many people think is shitty music. Why would anime fans be any different? Maybe because liking 'girly' or 'childish' things is apparently bad thing. However many rap-artists spit hateful stuff about gangbanging and shooting people. I think this is way more immature, but it isn't seen like that for some reason. And I don't see rap as bad music, many of my favourite artists are these 'gangbangers', as they like to call themselves.

Nov 9, 2020 2:38 AM

Aug 2017
I'd say anime is not cringe but a lot of anime fans are so it gives a general cringe image of the whole fanbase
Nov 9, 2020 2:41 AM

Jan 2020
I don't think being an anime fan is cringey at all. In the end, it's just a source of harmless entertainment.

nyugvo6 said:
it's not cringe to like anime. I'm not proud to be an anime fan. there's nothing to be proud of, it's just a hobby. I'm not calling myself a weeb, I don't consider myself an outaku. I simply watch anime and like it.

I don't think anyone genuinely thinks that being an anime fan is a thing to be proud of.
Nov 9, 2020 2:51 AM

Nov 2016
I'm proud in a sense that I'm satisfied and happy with being a fan of anime, but I wouldn't label myself as an Otaku or Weeb and build my personality around my hobby. That's cringe and screams identity crisis.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 9, 2020 3:02 AM

Jul 2007
It is cringe to even be alive in this world of contradictions. At least in the void there was no pain.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 9, 2020 3:08 AM

Aug 2017
FMmatron said:
I'm proud in a sense that I'm satisfied and happy with being a fan of anime, but I wouldn't label myself as an Otaku or Weeb and build my personality around my hobby. That's cringe and screams identity crisis.

Exactly.
Please don't just introduce yourselves as someone who loves "japanese culture".
Nov 9, 2020 3:10 AM

Oct 2020
i am not a anime fan
i just like watching good anime
OBAMOS
Nov 9, 2020 3:24 AM

Nov 2020
I guess it would depend on the type of anime fan. Watching and enjoying anime is definitely not cringe, but if you enjoy naruto running around your city with a fake katana then you are undoubtedly cringe. However, I do respect the people who embrace the cringe and not really care if they are cringy or not. If it's not hurting anyone then I don't think it matters if someone is "cringy" and I would also most likely be put into the category of "cringe" but it really doesn't bother me because anime is something I enjoy and I like expressing that.
btw cringe culture fkn sucks...
XtremeMaxNov 9, 2020 3:29 AM
Nov 9, 2020 3:24 AM

Sep 2008
IrrelevantGuy said:
I don't think being an anime fan is cringey at all. In the end, it's just a source of harmless entertainment.

nyugvo6 said:

I don't think anyone genuinely thinks that being an anime fan is a thing to be proud of.

ah, I just mentioned it because of the poll. seen so many people wearing their interests like a flag these days.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 9, 2020 3:28 AM

Jun 2016
As long as you know the boundary its fine
Nov 9, 2020 3:47 AM

Mar 2019
not if you just like watching shows. but when you start speaking japanese to people then you know you might be overdoing it a bit.
potato
Nov 9, 2020 5:55 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
No. Not proud at all, I don't even want to identify with any area of this fandom except ecchi fans. The rest of you can fuck off.

Nothing to be proud of. We're not one unitary fandom, we're an amalgamation of a bunch of different fandoms all being forced to exist under the same umbrella. It's not at all unlikely I end up having my interests align more with someone who doesn't watch anime over someone who uses this board. It's why people tend to say shit like "anime community" instead of "anime fandom." It's implicit acknowledgement of just how dissimilar a lot of us are. And if I'm from a sect that most people snub their noses at and treat like shit, then no, go fuck yourselves. I'm only still here to wait for people like that so I can shove their nose into shit in front of everyone.
ManabanNov 9, 2020 6:02 AM

Nov 9, 2020 5:57 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
I wouldn't say I'm "proud" but it certainly isn't "cringy" either. Being anime fan isn't cringy but there are some cringy anime fans.
Nov 9, 2020 6:03 AM

Sep 2018
it really depends on you act and stuff, there's nothing wrong with liking animes a lot, or being a fan or whatever
what is cringe however is when you start fangirling so to speak, when you center everything around that one or two animes you love and take any opportunity to bring it up, and other stuff like that
I've seen way too many people acting like that toward extremely popular animes (that I don't even think are that good but whatever) and honestly it makes me want to run away from them and to have nothing in common with them, so yes when I see people like that I find it cringe and would just want these people not to like animes so I can enjoy one of my passions in peace

Karinara said:
I wouldn't say I'm "proud" but it certainly isn't "cringy" either. Being anime fan isn't cringy but there are some cringy anime fans.

that's exactly what I mean
Nov 9, 2020 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
Well no, but maybe some people are.
Nov 9, 2020 6:24 AM
Jul 2020
Lol. People here are proud of watching cartoons.

OT: It's more cringy to hate on it for vague or superficial reasons.
Nov 9, 2020 6:30 AM

Mar 2019
The only thing that is cringe are the children who take it too seriously, like their favorite action shounen is more important than anything, and if anyone has a negative stance on it, they're a traitor to humanity and need to be executed.
Nov 9, 2020 6:35 AM

Nov 2018
i dont think so

it is cringe to geek out about something though
--> it's rrly easy to geek out about anime though
Nov 9, 2020 6:39 AM

Dec 2019
Nowadays no but when I first started watching anime ppl thought it was weird calling it Chinese cartoon but they dont pay much attention unless you yourself are weirdo like Naruto running down a hall or trying to speak Japanese
@#$%^&*()#$%^&*(
Nov 9, 2020 6:42 AM

Aug 2018
No, it isn't cringe to be an anime fan, but just don't go overboard.
Nov 9, 2020 6:48 AM

Nov 2018
It is not cringe as long as you don't make it cringe. It is a hobby like the others. Just don't be a fucking weirdo.

ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏ ᴡᴏʀꜱᴇ ɪɢɴᴏʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ
ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏꜱᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ
ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴᴀʟ ᴄᴏɴꜱɪᴅᴇʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀꜱᴀʟ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜꜱ.
Nov 9, 2020 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
I personally like being part of the anime community. I enjoy being able to talk with people who share my interest in anime since it can sometimes be hard to find fans outside of the internet who watch it. But of course, the only downside is that not all anime fans are pleasant.
Nov 9, 2020 7:03 AM

Nov 2020
Not really, I'm actually proud to be one but the non japanese people who say "desu" and "chan" and other honorifics irl and online make me cringe so much it makes mad. I also hate the shippers who ship non cannon gay relationships, and the ones who make gay fantart. (I do NOT hate gays or anything but the non cannon relationships make me really mad)
Nov 9, 2020 7:03 AM

Sep 2020
Okay, lets be honest here, why do we even care about what others think, plus if we really do have quite a bit of ego then we could always say - "Well I watch anime sometimes when I am bored although I don't prefer watching it." or you could come straight out and lie "NO!".
All those who truly understand the beauty of anime will all agree on the fact that anime did help us in some part of our lives. For example - It increased my sense of humor, gave me a better understandings of several things even though I haven't experienced them and most importantly I learnt a few new words. Bottom line - Theres no cringe in being an anime fan as long as you are not some kind of shut-in NEET.
Okay, whats wrong with being a weeb, I mean come on its not necessary that everyone will like their own cultures, Japan is also on Earth and we are all Earthlings so there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking Japanese culture

Bottom line - Who cares about those worthless idiots who think that whatever they don't do is trash, I mean frankly they are like the biggest motile and overflowing trash cans that litter everywhere they go. Most of the cringers are all such trash cans(I said MOST not ALL).
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Nov 9, 2020 7:06 AM

Jan 2009
everything is cringe anyway so whatever

no i do not care actually
Nov 9, 2020 7:08 AM

Aug 2012
Yeah, but i want to be lazy and horny.
Nov 9, 2020 8:13 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
People say that a lot of things are cringe nowadays

Those are probably the same people who recorded themselves eating cinnamon and tide pods, who cares what they think? This is some Gigguk nonsense.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» This has been the worst 6 weeks of anime I have seen in a long time. ( 1 2 )

StateofOhayo - May 14

76 by StateofOhayo »»
18 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 9

67 by JaniSIr »»
20 minutes ago

» Why is there a stigma in the anime community towards people who enjoy children anime? Like YuGiOh, Pokemon, PreCure etc.

removed-user - May 10

40 by alexw1020 »»
34 minutes ago

» Different scores to the anime’s seasons

Yonahim_Zz - 3 hours ago

14 by Ratris_Decision »»
48 minutes ago

» Why did Cardcaptor Sakura failed in the US while Sailor Moon succeeded?

funtime43_tr - 12 hours ago

9 by MasterTasuke »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.