Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2020 5:08 AM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Thread made in advance to reduce the competition for the first post and reduce spoilers.
The thread will be unlocked at 23:00 (JST)
The thread is now unlocked.

I guess I need to do this again since light novel/web novel readers are still doing this:
Concerning spoilers: Just another reminder since this series is getting spoiled to death. Please do not confirm a theory someone has or give hints about something that happens later on. Not everyone wants their theories confirmed or denied. If you want to do so, add a spoiler to your post and I mean the entire part where you confirm or deny a theory. If you bring arguments from past episodes, you don't have to add spoiler tags. Continuously spoiling future events in an anime can be seen as trolling and can result in a warning or a ban.

A reminder of some rules:
  • Do not ask where to watch or post links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
  • If you absolutely need to make a reference to the LN, manga, WN or something that might happen in future episodes, use spoiler tags.
    [spoiler]your text here[/spoiler]

• Do not only post something like "good episode". Simple phrases posts are removed without notice.
  • Only use one screenshot. If you use more than one, your other pictures will be either put in spoilers or removed.
  • Do not resort to abuse or trolling.

You can find the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules here.
DeadlyRavenSep 30, 2020 7:00 AM
Sep 30, 2020 7:00 AM

Mar 2016
This ep is simply mystical...

This ep marks the first time that Satella and Subaru had a somewhat proper chat together, much more so compared to their previous chat when Satella had just swallowed the Sanctuary along with its residents. Well, I figure Satella came there to talk to Subaru, after all, she should know that the other witches don't welcome her (although that's only really true for Echidna and not so much for the other 5 witches). Despite knowing this, I actually didn't think that Satella would be here to 'cheer Subaru on' telling him to love himself and save himself.

Damn, I hate how Subaru is pretty much up against all the witches in some way. Especially when they talk down on him and try to patronize him.

Roswaal was the guy who sent the assassin to the mansion all of this to make Subaru grow his resolve to choose one over the other. And Roswaal said that he know Echidna? Psssh... Bitch please, a person who knows Echidna knows her greed and in return should be as greedy as she is. Just like how Subaru wanted to save everyone and everything. Once insane, always insane.

Well, this has been great fun to watch, unfortunately, it's been split into 2 separate parts even though it's still the same season (S2).
Still, a phenomenal watch.

Man this final ep is the biggest blue balls of the year

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
Koito91Sep 30, 2020 12:50 PM
Sep 30, 2020 7:00 AM

Jan 2017
Alright episode. They again cut many scenes. Welp time to wait for cour 2. Some screenshots:-

Mod Edit: Only one screenshot allowed.
Koito91Sep 30, 2020 12:51 PM

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Sep 30, 2020 7:02 AM

Aug 2017
As I expected Roswaal was behind the mansion incident.

Overall, this season is an improvement to the already very good first season. I will most likely rewatch the first season and this part before the next part. One of the best anime of this season and of the year in general! 9/10 for the anime.
NurguburuSep 30, 2020 11:09 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 30, 2020 7:05 AM

Nov 2011
Very fitting the episode ends with "Natsuki Subaru!"

On the other hand, it serves as another buildup for the next part of the season 2. Subaru and Satella's character interaction is a pretty important part of the finale with that revelation. Either way, she's a character to keep an eye on just like the other witches.

Next season begins in Winter 2021 so let the waiting game begin.
Sep 30, 2020 7:06 AM

May 2014
Nice ending. I'm highly anticipating the release of part 2. Stupid split cour lol.

Really enjoyed this sequel. It's definitely my anime of the year and was a great watch!
Sep 30, 2020 7:06 AM

Oct 2017
What an episode to end this cour with, specially that last conversation with Roswaal was nothing but true despair.

Wow so Satella wants to die by Subaru's hand and I wonder why is she so concerned with Subaru's well being and for that matter why does she love him so much to begin with. Is Satella's true identity Emillia from the future? Considering how she gave Subaru a power that makes him go back in time I wouldn't be surprised if she really was Emilia from future.

Lots of new characters were introduced and we finally saw all the witches. Echidna was off the charts, I love her character so much. I'm really intrigued with all the witches as they were far from what I imagined them to be. So I hope we get to see more of their characters in the upcoming cour or in future arcs.
MegamiRemMay 9, 2021 1:26 AM
Sep 30, 2020 7:08 AM

May 2013
It had some boring parts but I still really loved it
Sep 30, 2020 7:09 AM

Apr 2020
Otto is a good friend, he helps subaru when subaru is in trouble
and closed with a punch from Otto

overall 8/10 and i'm waiting for part 2

KaisekiSep 30, 2020 3:04 PM
Sep 30, 2020 7:14 AM

Jun 2020
Man, Satella's revelation before Subaru's eyes is superb. It really hits the conclusion of Season 1 Part 2 very well, and right now, the waiting game is finally come to seek for more answers.

Overall, decent 10/10 for me. My review will be submitted later after I'll edit it properly.

Bruhhh... Otto is my man!
HanashiD4Sep 30, 2020 8:34 AM

"You don't get it, a million sorry's is not equal to one thank you." — Emilia
Sep 30, 2020 7:50 AM

May 2019
That's it, Anime-Onlies, we've reach the end of this half.

But i have a strong advice.

DO NOT

spoil it to yourself
by reading the novels

Checking threads about novel ranking, 9 in 10 readers put the arc 4 as being the BEST arc so far.

We are watching what for most is the best moment of the series (not saying that the rest is bad), and the climax is right there starting in Jan/2021.

So don't spoil it.
Sep 30, 2020 7:58 AM
Sep 2020
I cant wait for part 2 ! It will be so awesome i can tell it right now. EMT
Sep 30, 2020 7:58 AM
Pen

Mar 2018
The episode starts with Subaru breaking into a million pieces again as usual at this point.

My question is how did he actually kill himself here their nothing that he did before to prepare to do it and it suddenly happens. I am assuming he did something in the LN but here he literally falls to the ground dead and IDK why.

We got Roswall being Roswall and stating he cannot save both because he must choose.
Kind of wonder if that's true but most likely not he can prob save both just has to do a longer path.

The heavy foreshadowing is real. The question is does it really mean Emilia or just Satella.

Otto punching Subaru back into reality at the end was the icing on the cake for this episode and a good way to end this first half.

Overall I liked this first half I know we haven't advanced the actual story since like ep 1 but we continue to learn more about this world slowly and all the elements that are in it.
Maybe in the second half, we can get out of the Sanctuary...

Maybe I don't want to leave maybe I like it here

Edit. I now know thanks to the many people that apparently you can die from biting your tongue off. Id never seen it before in any media I have watched.
Maybe it's my western disconnect from it all IDK.

Mod Edit: Only one screenshot allowed.
PendragonX1Dec 7, 2020 10:51 PM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 30, 2020 8:00 AM

Feb 2020
So this cour is over!

And with a really mysthical episode, with a huge revelation by Satella, now we have to wait to see what´s netx.

Really good season overall, with a main name: Echidna, she just broke the series!!!

8/10
Sep 30, 2020 8:04 AM

Feb 2019
White Fox really blessed us man, what an amazing episode. They got it about 95 percent right, the only complaint I have is that they left out the the WoE/Satella distinction which is a pretty important part of Volume 12 and for anime onlies. They adapted a little more than I thought they would, going into volume 13 a little, but after starting the tea party last week, I suppose they had to.

Quality wise, everything top notch as we’ve come to expect. This first cour was absolutely peak, and the scariest thing is we haven’t even got to the best stuff yet. Can’t wait for January. It’s Re:Zero szn boys.
Marinate1016Sep 30, 2020 8:10 AM
Sep 30, 2020 8:05 AM

Apr 2020
It was a good ride overall nice season
Episode was alright just have to wait for till part2 in the winter season.
Definitely more refined since 2016

8/10
but could definitely be more next season.
Sep 30, 2020 8:06 AM

Feb 2019
Rob7 said:

DO NOT

spoil it to yourself
by reading the novels

Checking threads about novel ranking, 9 in 10 readers put the arc 4 as being the BEST arc so far.

We are watching what for most is the best moment of the series (not saying that the rest is bad), and the climax is right there starting in Jan/2021.

So don't spoil it.

Bro what? No. Definitely read the novels if you can. LN’s are always superior to anime and if you like the series, are how you get the full story.
Sep 30, 2020 8:10 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This last episode felt a little tonally inconsistent. The episode was all over the place. Still decent though. I wasn't surprised about Roswaal sending the assassins, as there weren't really any other suspects. Subaru had a lot of development this episode. The last scene with Roswaal felt a little out of place in the narrative. It might have worked better earlier in the season...I don't know, it just felt off.

The scene with the witches though was perfect.

As a whole, I still feel that this season could have been trimmed down, but I understand the decision to make this the stopping point. I definitely preferred the first season more, but this season was still pretty good. I will definitely binge this again before the next cour starts.

Oct 2014
Time to wait till January. Thats when shit really kicks into High gear for this arc.
RevengeCountdown

Mar 2019
Rob7 said:

DO NOT

spoil it to yourself
by reading the novels

So don't spoil it.
the novels are a better experience tho
EMT

Sep 30, 2020 8:12 AM

Oct 2014
anime-prime said:
This last episode felt a little tonally inconsistent. The episode was all over the place. Still decent though. I wasn't surprised about Roswaal sending the assassins, as there weren't really any other suspects. Subaru had a lot of development this episode. The last scene with Roswaal felt a little out of place in the narrative. It might have worked better earlier in the season...I don't know, it just felt off.

The scene with the witches though was perfect.

As a whole, I still feel that this season could have been trimmed down, but I understand the decision to make this the stopping point. I definitely preferred the first season more, but this season was still pretty good. I will definitely binge this again before the next cour starts.

Binge watch the whole thing again like with the first season, and you might change your tune. Just saying.
Sep 30, 2020 8:17 AM
Dec 2018
I was considering dropping the score to an 8 when the episode kinda felt like it forced Subaru to cry in the first couple minutes of the episode (i.e. didn't feel natural).

However, Roswaal' shock factor and Otto's sucker punch made me rethink it, and it retained the score of 9.

Moral ending of this episode: If you're in a bind, ask for help from a friend. Don't try to do everything yourself, leverage your resources.
I know now that I know nothing.

Sep 30, 2020 8:18 AM
Dec 2013
anime-prime said:
The last scene with Roswaal felt a little out of place in the narrative.

That's Re:Zero for ya.

do you think after some pretty words, things will go smoothly fine now? I love it personally.

yea, the difficulty didn't got down after that scene, don't get cocky Natsuki Subaru >:3

The lesson is: don't try to do all alone
Sep 30, 2020 8:18 AM

Aug 2013
What an episode. I really like the scenes with the witches, them interacting with each other was nice. Satella wasn't as terrifying as I thought she would be.

Roswaal is insane, sending the assassins to attack the mansion.

I personally enjoyed this one more than the first season for obvious reasons. So this gets a 9/10 from me. Now we'll just have to wait for the next part.
LeoSep 30, 2020 8:22 AM

Sep 30, 2020 8:19 AM

Jan 2014
Having conflicting thoughts on who Stella is honestly. Not a reader of any media, so wouldn't know how far the story is in. But with how it looks in the anime, it's giving me thoughts.

Good stuff all round though, cannot wait for Jan now! Hopefully it won't get delayed.
Sep 30, 2020 8:20 AM
Aug 2020
I did not like the last Otto scene, it could have ended with Roswaal instead.
That being said, this first part is a solid 9/10 for me.
Sep 30, 2020 8:23 AM

Nov 2013
It was decent a final episode not gonna lie. The first half was kinda boring but I like the conversation between Roswall and Subaru and the scene with Otto at the end. But overall I found the anime is as terrible as the first season.
After all, it isn’t really the type of show that appeals to me. Likewise, Subaru isn’t the kind of protagonist that I like to root for so it failed to wow me.

I'll still watch part 2 as long as my motivation on anime is still on and I did take a sneak peek at the LN. I guess next season there will be more Emilia which is kinda nice, so let's wait till next year.
DannyTheDonkeySep 30, 2020 8:30 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 30, 2020 8:23 AM

Mar 2012
OH MY GOD

This was as close as to perfect as it can probably get, White Fox you are a god tier studio in adapting this, fuck anyone who says otherwise, was there a bit skipped or cut? people is an adaptation not everything can be 100% truly adapted but this is close as you can get and it was done well in spades. Even more impressive when the crew behind this did it at home due to Covid.

BUT now i feel empty cause we have to wait another 3 months and that is when it truly gets into god tier level of story telling. Fuck i wonder if this how people on rehab feel cause i dying knowing there is no more re:zero fix for another 3 months.

I get the reason why and its understandable but it still does not make it less unbearable. >....<

PLS support this as much as you can, buy the books, buy the anime, buy the merch, we got to show our love for it.

Infinity/10 bring it :D
Sep 30, 2020 8:24 AM

Jul 2012
Finally, he realizes to value his own life. Roswaal seems evil, but I don't think he actually is. Guess we'll have to wait to see his true intentions. I really like Echidna though, I hope we'll see more of her and the other witches in the next part. Looking forward to it.
Sep 30, 2020 8:24 AM

Nov 2014
It was cool and all... but I felt a bit lost when they stared talking about Subaru not loving himself. He has simple problem: save people in mansion and in village. How did that turn into him having some breakdown an feeling unloved?
Same with the lizard liking him scene after he woke up. Cmon, he knows Rem loves him, Otto likes him, he can suspect Emilia cares for him.
He finally stared using RBD as powerful tool it is, and now, in imo forced way, they try to limit it?
Still good episde, but Im not sure I like this direction.
Sep 30, 2020 8:26 AM

Sep 2014
Carmilla is just adorable and Minerva doesn't even seem bad at all, then there's Subaru calling them all monsters smh.

Satella still a mystery but at least she doesn't seem all bad, still wonder what's her relation to Emilia, maybe they'll explain more in the 2nd half.

Not surprising Roswaal is behind all that shit but still wasn't expecting Subaru to break like that, thankfully best bro Otto to give him a wake up call.

Was really enjoyable so far but man it's going to suck waiting for that 2nd part.
Sep 30, 2020 8:28 AM

Jul 2014
Does CR have a different version? Or something was not in the subs? @ShadowkillZ_ @Shirase-san

mozgowSep 30, 2020 9:39 AM
Sep 30, 2020 8:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I feel like this season was even better than the first one, and I already loved the first one xD I just can't wait until 2021.
10/10 definitely my favorite anime of the season and probably of the year.
Sep 30, 2020 8:33 AM

May 2015
Satella showed a lot more kindness in this episode, even though she was still one-track-minded with the I love you's.

Echidna was very sneaky taking away his authority to enter the sanctuary, I guess if he wants to use that route he's going to have to rely on someone else. Which further circulates into the core theme of this episode I believe. If Subaru wants to stop suffering and doesn't want anyone else to grieve for him, he has to start relying on other people and letting them assist him.

I mean at this rate return by death is going to leave him a shell of a person if he continues trying to hold the burden of everyone's future by himself.
Sep 30, 2020 8:34 AM

May 2016
We need more of best boy Otto in the next part
Sep 30, 2020 8:35 AM

Feb 2016
Such a nice end to this cour.
The main focus this time was Subaru's chara development. This is the most he has looped so far each time facing a new challenge.

Once againa great season. Now onto wait for 2021
Sep 30, 2020 8:37 AM

Apr 2014
It was a very good episode. We got to see more of the witches and that Satella really cares about Subaru. Otto is best girl again, though. XD
Sep 30, 2020 8:37 AM

May 2015
While I liked this season overall, I feel like Subaru's character is stuck in a neverending loop...
Get in a despairful situation -> Someone or something gives him a bit of confidence -> Something even more despairful happens and throws said confidence to the trash -> Repeat

I still like his character, but his mood bounced down and up like four times this episode alone and it's getting a little tiresome.
That's the only problem I got with this series though, everything else is been fantastic. Called that Roswaal was the employer thanks to the Rezero aftertime special from two weeks ago lol, can't wait for the second cour and to see Emilia finally take some action this season.
Sep 30, 2020 8:38 AM

Feb 2015
Re:Zero is absolute levels above all other Isseki anime. Its sor well written and constructed. This season has been just as compelling as the first and ive enjoyed every minute of it.

Cant wait for the second part. 10/10
Sep 30, 2020 8:38 AM

Jan 2019
An amazing way to end this first cour. Can't wait to see you guys again in 3 months. That was a pleasure ^-^
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Sep 30, 2020 8:39 AM
May 2016
Oof still just as confused as ever but enjoyed the heck out of this season, it's going to be a long 3 months.
Sep 30, 2020 8:40 AM

Aug 2013
mozgow said:
Does CR have a different version? Or something was not in the subs? @ShadowkillZ_ @Shirase-san

The subs were as accurate as they only could be.
I think that they read th LN and it's nothing but spoiler.
Just checked reddit thread (it's rather rare that I'm browsing reddit) and many people said that they skipped it in adaptation.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags.
Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:00 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 30, 2020 8:43 AM

Mar 2014
This season has been a BLAST! Sure some skip scenes here and there...but I'm please!

Can't wait for the final cour of the season where things get even more HEATED than they are already!

Also of course for all of us Emilia lovers..

"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Sep 30, 2020 8:48 AM
May 2020
Rob7 said:

DO NOT

spoil it to yourself
by reading the novels

So don't spoil it.

I'm sorry but I'm too impatient. I've already started spoiling myself.
Sep 30, 2020 8:51 AM

Jul 2017
Holy jesus. This season, was madness, was insanity, was Re:Zero at its peak perfection. It just didnt catch a break, the events kept happening back to back and i barely have any nails left here. My man Subaru, this guy, got fucked hard in the ass countless times, way more than the 1st season, and he still persists on changing the course of all these events. He deserves my respect. Even if he has to seek help from the witches (mainly the witch who caused him pain over and over again, Satella), he will move forward with it. I just cant wait to see what will happen next! These 13 episodes were just pure adrenaline!

10/10 dont even need to think 2 times about this score

PS: Echidna was best girl
WaterLordSep 30, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2015
I get that feeling that the narrative was a bit off in this episode was because it wasnt meant to be a split cour.

It was meant to be an entire 25ep season, but COVID happened. That would explain some of the complaint y'all had
Sep 2018
rsc-pl said:
mozgow said:

The subs were as accurate as they only could be.
I think that they read th LN and just spoiled it.
Just checked reddit thread (it's rather rare that I'm browsing reddit) and many people said that they skipped it in adaptation.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags.
Very slight spoiler

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:01 PM
Sep 30, 2020 8:54 AM

Jul 2017
The Witch of Envy Satella MAKES HER ENTRANCE...and the "I love you" flashbacks ensue, whilst the cascade of the Witches only add to Subaru's chagrin.

Furthermore, Satella's appeal to Subaru to "love himself" certainly didn''t bring doubts (since he is pretty much dead to the thought of death again and again), and was quite the outlier that caused him to breakdown both physically and mentallly, HARD. All while the Witches were on the former or latter side of things...THAT I find it very inconsistent on a narrative level for the 1st half, just to force Subaru into a corner and make him confess his misforgivings of "not being loved".

Is Natsuki Subaru trying to change fate through Return by Death, or are the Witches of Sin being decision makers for him, it was a message that didn't translate well into the anime.

If that's it from the Witches of Sin for the 1st Cour, I'd say it was an experience all within itself of interesting and explosive influences.

Retunrning back to the time where Subaru has come back to the Promised future with Otto and Patrasche, and interrogating Roswaal with the aforementioned knowledge from Return by Death...to think that he would be YET ANOTHER Echidna in the flesh and mind by releasing assassins (Elsa and Maylie) to attack the mansion and at the same time, strengthen Subaru's resolve, even with the Book of the Gospel, THIS IS JUST ASKING TOO MUCH for our boy.

To coerce Subaru into a forced situation...THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING and preparation of a long, arduous journey. Otto...what are your true intentions about Subaru???

Terrific episode, waiting upon the 2nd Cour in Winter 2021.
Sep 30, 2020 8:54 AM
May 2020
I did not like that they deleted so many scenes. For example,
This is an important dialogue, I do not understand why they deleted it. And Emilia's scenes are mostly deleted. I think the studio is in Reem team

Mod Edit: A spoiler as it was not adapted.
Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:08 PM
Sep 30, 2020 8:55 AM

May 2020
Red said:
Finally, he realizes to value his own life. Roswaal seems evil, but I don't think he actually is. Guess we'll have to wait to see his true intentions. I really like Echidna though, I hope we'll see more of her and the other witches in the next part. Looking forward to it.

nah he is one messed up being u will ever encounter lol thats insane for someone like subaru to handle arghh
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 25, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 2, 2020

516 by titty »»
Apr 11, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 29, 2020

672 by chiwila »»
Apr 9, 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.