Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2020 2:04 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
not gonna lie, that last shot of Edamura handing Laurent the wallet put a big smile on my face. i find it quite beautiful how this whole thing is just them continuing that last big case from years ago. can't wait to see how the finale turns out
Sep 23, 2020 9:49 AM

Oct 2017
That was emotional, Dorothy was such a lovely character. I'm hoping that she's alive. I hope the guy who shot her was bought by them and that was a act. Please let her be alive. She's too great a woman to die like that.

Damnnnn this was proly the best episode yet. What a massive plot twist. So everything they've been doing so far was part of a big and massive plan to take down the shanghai gang.
Sep 23, 2020 1:33 PM

Oct 2017
Just when I think I've seen the best of them, it surprises me again. I haven't seen a show of this genre and of this quality since Bacanno!
Sep 24, 2020 10:01 AM
Aug 2020
That was one hell of a circle, really made me smile.
Sep 24, 2020 8:37 PM

Jan 2009
wtf it all connects to make the revenge for Dorothy eh

Dorothy know the rules very well though "make one mistake and youre gone" and her mistake is insisting that plot of empress on some African country be added to the plan of Oz
Sep 25, 2020 3:42 AM

Apr 2020
Two episodes worth of backstory was worth it. And if you look at the ED animation, the last part has completed the puzzle, which is Dorothy along with her ring. It all makes sense now.
Sep 26, 2020 7:47 AM

Dec 2015
Tragic. But - as expected - everything had just been set in motion to get revenge on that mafia group. Though it seemed a bit like the thing with Edamura was by change - since he suddenly turned out to be interested in conning others as well.

Wow, even Abbie and Cynthia had been recruited with this purpose. (At the beginning of the anime it seemed like Cynthia was more experience and might have recruited Laurent.)

With this they can end it and it will feel - though the previous arcs felt without connection - like a wholesome end where it would be hard to make sequels. (And sequels not really needed.) Since everything was planned with this last arc in mind.
Sep 27, 2020 11:48 AM

Sep 2019
the ending credits song now makes more sense, and i feel really sad about it
Sep 28, 2020 12:35 AM

Oct 2016
That was a really good episode, it's satisfying to see everything connect. It was all for these one big plan.

And from that surprised face of Laurent I am guessing recruiting Makoto was not originally part of the plan.
Sep 28, 2020 3:33 AM
Jun 2017
love this episode... as Laurent has shown us the original gang they have... and Dorothy's character is great, but well even though they are a great con artist, there will be a time where they will face a tough enemy...

and to present, that will be also their mission... the mafia that cause the original con artist to be gone...
Oct 4, 2020 5:02 AM

Jun 2013
I'm going to be honest. I don't know what to believe in anymore lol. I know that Dorothy is dead but at the same time, I feel like she'll pop out of nowhere like everyone else who "died" in this show.

I want some real deaths in this show and not just Dorothy. I'm bad for saying that but it feels more realistic if it had more people dying.
臭い-
Oct 4, 2020 11:57 AM

Apr 2020
Well god damn it all comes full circle. "Had them checked mate from the very start" kind of deal, didn't come without consequences though.
Man this was a great episode and they really did good job tying it in neat and tidy bow for us, and the last shot of Edamura Laurent meeting damn did that feel really good to see.
Three episodes left ladies and gents lets se how they finish the story

Great episode today
Oct 6, 2020 6:53 AM
Aug 2020
One full circle DAMN! I didn't expect Edamura's father to be involved from the beginning! and he's innocent after all wow....

I hope Dorothy is still alive somehow cuz Laurent deserves better :(

a solid ep!
Oct 6, 2020 7:14 AM

May 2015
Wow the ending feels completely different now, and it was right in front of us the whole time.
Oct 12, 2020 2:19 PM
Nov 2018
The one thing that killed Dorothy was not shutting up, how ironic lol. Everything came in full circle and it was glorious. Laurent is a mad man for getting oz’s son involved in this lol
Oct 13, 2020 11:46 AM

Jul 2017
After so long, this has come ONE FULL CIRCLE.

The conmens' last gig to sham the Shanghai mafia with Dorothy, Shi Onn, Laurent and Oz, the way to appease the Japanese mafia with Abby, to the deaths itself, everything was uncanny, but one and all the same. And conmen orking against each other, yeah that's saying a lot.

But Oz playing the figure of scapegoat to save both Shi Onn and Laurent having to find Dorothy once again but to no avail (not like the last), HOT DAMN for the trials of fate for both him and Edamura.

Laurent's revenge for Dorothy and Edamura's revenge for his justice, and the eventual scouting of Laurent's "conmen" gang all the way from Episode 1, this was Checkmate to the finest.

The finest episode so far, really just wanna head for the finale right now.
Oct 16, 2020 9:50 AM
Apr 2016
Holy shit everything has connected! Everything now makes sense!
Oct 18, 2020 3:53 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Dorothy: -kisses necklace- Protect me.
Me: Ohp. There's our death flag. Bye, Dorothy. It was nice knowing you.;;
Bwuh. Okay but it's okay to swim back up now, Dorothy. ;o;;; Plz.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 22, 2020 5:37 PM

Mar 2019
1 word

Masterpiece
Oct 27, 2020 12:37 PM

Aug 2018
This, this is the kind of backstory I want, it's so fucking rewarding to see it comes in full circle, Laurent is so fucking endearing to watch I love him and it was worth waiting 3 arcs for his development.
The implication of all the plan with Makoto becoming a conman, him being recruted then trained by the crew and being part of the Big Heist, failing once, then recovering, then failing once again just for everything to come together to make a parallel of his life and Laurent's life but this time with the girls saved DAMN this show is good even with all the clichés.

Shoutout to Suwabe, never stopping being the ultimate GAR voice actor, all of his roles are God Tier and this one can join Archer, Aomine and Abbachio on the throne.
Nov 30, 2020 1:18 PM
Sep 2007
So Dorothy is dead or lost because she was overconfident. Too bad that press just happend to report about real Etiopian royality visiting.

Now the cats and the ring in the ending make more sense now.
Dec 5, 2020 12:19 AM

May 2015
The world is a small place
Dec 7, 2020 10:34 AM

Apr 2020
HOLY SHIT
Seeing everything connect together was insane.
Nice to know who started the group.
Dec 7, 2020 3:03 PM

Jul 2017
Great episode, and it connects everything that happened in the past really well as well as the present when it comes to Makoto's life as a con-man as a whole really. My only problem with this arc is the amount of repeated cliches that have been present throughout the show, and I feel like Dorothy being shot doesn't mean she's necessarily dead by any means like I should believe just because of the amount of times a similar gag like that was pulled for a ton of other characters in the show so far. Still, one fuck-up due to coincidence and it cost them big time. Excited to get back to the present now and get this case rolling again!

Speaking of connecting really well, the ending too connected more dots with the whole ring and the lady at the end holding the cat. It was spelled out right from the start but now we get the whole context behind the ending (other than the tribute portion to the original music video for Great Pretender with the curtain, three singing cats and the fact that they're cats since Freddie Mercury had tons and tons of cats when he was alive).
Dec 10, 2020 5:44 AM

Apr 2020
So Edamura's father's plan failed, and Dorothy died, Laurent must be sad
Dec 13, 2020 10:59 AM
Nov 2020
seeing laurent's backstory was incredibly sad but seeing them all join the crew one at a time was so exciting
Dec 16, 2020 8:56 AM

Mar 2014
Oh man Dorothy's death was sad. Laurent mourning her was heartbreaking. It's awesome how this whole thing is part of a bigger plan. Abby disguising as a princess is also a callback to the original case, with Dorothy playing that part. Except this time, things won't go wrong, I hope.
Jan 12, 2021 1:28 PM
Oct 2019
The very first arc was great, but this one might be even better. Just wow.

This isn't even a "long con". It's an infinity con. And the motive...
Jan 14, 2021 8:50 PM

Mar 2015
Wow looks like we've gone full circle, and most of the loose ends have been tied up. Loving it!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 23, 2021 8:38 AM

Nov 2016
Dorothy's death and the soundtrack gave me Titanic vibes

The flashback and how it came full circle, very nice

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 27, 2021 10:03 PM

Aug 2015
Aww the gangs all here.

I'm glad they got a Mandarin VA for Makoto's dad.
Feb 20, 2021 10:42 AM

Aug 2017
OMG another 5/5. Everything was Laurent's plan to get revenge on that mafia group and Edamura's dad is not a bad person after all -apparently he talked to his wife before she died-.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 13, 2021 12:42 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, it's like being naïve and generic wasn't enough for anime so was added inadequate level of amorality and inhumanity. How about destroying social status of your family in one of the most strict countries in the world and later set up your own son by making his life a hell so he would be filthy enough to be involved in extremely dangerous plan? Is it a revenge or just another scum scheme but against Edamura this time for the plot twist purpose solely? Awful, and everyone just smiles here.
Mar 14, 2021 1:16 PM

Mar 2010
RIP Dorothy She should have quite while she was ahead. THe look on laurents face was priceless though. True despair takes me back.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 28, 2021 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
Okay you know what? This anime is just..... AAAH!!!
THIS IS A MASTERPIECE! I'm giving a 10/10! I'm so deeply connected to the characters it's so beautiful!
Jun 26, 2021 7:22 AM

Sep 2017
Really love how they connected everything full circle. Bringing it back to the moment where Edamura tried to scam Laurent was a nice way to end the ep.
Jul 7, 2021 6:44 PM

Apr 2018
Okay this was an amazing backstory, excellent episode.

Rest in peace Dorothy, she was such a funny and amazing girl but sadly the time was wrong.. Well, Laurent became a con artist again.
And yeah, Makoto's dad wasn't that bad. It was just his plan afterall..

And then in the second half they show us how Laurent met Cynthia and Abbie, that was pretty fun. And in the end, Edumame.

Back to the main plot!
SideCharacterKalJul 7, 2021 6:47 PM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 8, 2021 1:24 AM

Jul 2015
Sad there for Laurent with Dorothy's death but I gotta say its kinda stupid she bad mouthed the guy in chinese where she perhaps would still be alive if she acted being just a random person uninvolved in the scam. Good to see everything coming full circle and showing Oz being 'innocent' where he went as far as losing his son's trust so he can complete the scam (I'm glad he visited the mom)

Feb 27, 2022 9:51 AM

Jul 2014
"Pretend that you are still around..."
Oct 10, 2022 7:01 PM
Aug 2020
We finally got to know the whole story of Laurent and what led him to do what he does now. What a sad story by the way. But this robbery promises to be the best one 'till now.
Nov 20, 2022 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
This is so heart-wrenching.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 1, 2023 8:07 AM
Feb 2021
10/10 really good backstory.
Jun 29, 2023 10:05 AM

Jul 2016
The ED's visuals were cute without context but now they hit like a truck.

Watching Makoto's first scam attempt on Laurent was adorable after all the stuff they've pulled lmao
Dec 4, 2023 7:42 AM

Nov 2023
Damn, what a very emotional episode this one was
May 23, 7:55 PM

Mar 2013
I'm glad Makoto's dad visited his mother before she died. Otherwise it'd had way too sad.
I'm wondering if the group's plan accounted for Makoto to join. Didn't look like that to me lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Jun 1, 2020

114 by notDelta »»
Jul 1, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

60 by ANIk_003 »»
Jul 1, 11:31 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 18 Discussion

43 by xspookydarknessx »»
Jun 26, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 17 Discussion

39 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 12, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 16 Discussion

31 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 8, 6:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.