Forum Settings
Forums
New
Hey guys I'm just curious to know that how do you address the name of an anime? From my point of view it depends on the name of the anime so I kinda address from their Japanese as well as English
Aug 3, 2020 5:15 AM

Jul 2020
How do you address the name of an anime?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 3, 2020 5:19 AM

Jun 2020
Appreciated Japanese names only until someone asked me if I'd seen the latest episode of Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou. Never again.
This anime shit is addictive
Aug 3, 2020 5:21 AM

Apr 2013
Depends on the name really. I say both "Attack on Titan" and "Shingeki no Kyojin", depending on who I talk to. I can never remember the Japanese name for "Fullmetal Alchemist", so I use only the English word for that. Most of the time I probably simply use the Japanese name, I would never say "Stray god" instead of "Noragami".
Aug 3, 2020 5:22 AM
Oct 2018
Usually just call it by its English name.
--
Aug 3, 2020 5:25 AM

Oct 2018
i say it depends on wether the english name or the japanese is easier to pronounce
or if a anime has a long name than i just use the short name of it like konosuba for example
Aug 3, 2020 5:26 AM

Dec 2018
Whatever is most commonly used, easiest to pronounce, and shortest.
Aug 3, 2020 5:34 AM

Oct 2018
Two: Which is more identifiable regardless of meaning and which version is shorter. I'm not gonna call erased by its japanese name even though the meanings are not directly the same. I will refer to anohana as that because it's original name is pretty long
~Spiritual Healing~

Aug 3, 2020 5:50 AM

Sep 2016
If the japanese name is short and easy to remember, then I'll go with that. Or not, I just use the english name
Aug 3, 2020 5:57 AM
Feb 2014
Mostly i use the japanese name, but some anime i only refer to by the english name such as Fullmetal Alchemist.

Then it also depends who i'm talking to, like, if i'm recommending it to someone on the net than i'll always use the Japanese name.

If it's someone i know then it depends, like i would be more likely to say i watched Sunday without God instead of Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, but i'd also tell that same person i watched Enen no Shouboutai lol! So it varies even then.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Aug 3, 2020 6:03 AM

Sep 2017
Depends on the anime

I'll always say Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but on the other hand I'll never say "Welcome to demon school, Iruma-kun", I'll stick with "Mairimashita! Iruma-kun"

And sometimes, it's both (like LOTGH, Yakusoku no Neverland or SNK)
Aug 3, 2020 6:03 AM

Jul 2020
spectrojan said:
Appreciated Japanese names only until someone asked me if I'd seen the latest episode of Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou. Never again.

Lol your comment was so funny it made my day.

P.S I'm exaggerating my comment so as to exceed its character limit.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 3, 2020 6:04 AM

Oct 2010
I always use the romanian name I invented especially for that certain anime. But on mal I use the shortest version be it english or japanese.
Aug 3, 2020 6:07 AM

Aug 2018
I use the Japanese name.Unless it's a light novel adaptation with a long ass name like Shuumatsu nani Shitemasu ka?Isogashi desu ka?blah blah.I just use the short form for such series.
Aug 3, 2020 6:13 AM
Apr 2014
If I'm talking with Japanese friends, I use Japanese names. If not, I use whichever is more convenient.
Aug 3, 2020 6:18 AM

Mar 2013
I always go with the Japanese name out of habit (or whichever I'm more used to)

And then my friends come up to me and start talking about a certain anime and say the name of it in English /German and I'm just standing there like... What are you talking about are you sure it exists shsjskwk
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Aug 3, 2020 6:21 AM

Jun 2020
Since Japanese is the superior language, Japanese always. Who even uses English these days? Maybe normies. True anime fans always use Japanese. If someone asks me what anime I'm currently watching, I'll always say "I'm watching Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru OVA". Japan forever.

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 3, 2020 6:32 AM

May 2019
Fullmetal Alchemist
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Run with the Wind
Noragami
Shingeki no Kyojin
Sakamichi no Apollon
Fugou Keiji
Sangatsu no Lion
Both Food Wars and Shokugeki no Souma

In short, like most people here, I use both but I mainly use the Japanese. I often use English titles in long af names unless they have an easy and distinctive Japanese abbreviation like Oregairu, Hamefura, Konosuba etc.
bluninjaAug 3, 2020 6:35 AM
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Aug 3, 2020 6:36 AM

Dec 2017
Normally i use both depends on the anime if its really long and complicated japanese name i will probably say it in english
Don't fuck up the present, it's connected to your future!
Aug 3, 2020 6:37 AM

Mar 2019
I speak English. I can pronounce and remember the English name. So the English name.

MAL should also make this an option. Right now it's a mix of both based on [factors] but it should be something you can toggle.
Aug 3, 2020 6:43 AM
Apr 2017
Japanese unless the japanese name itself is basically english (i.e. I'm not going to say "angerubiitsu", I'll just say angel beats, obviously).
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 3, 2020 6:47 AM

Nov 2018
well,which is easy to remember like One Piece and Oregairu.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Aug 3, 2020 6:54 AM

Jul 2016
Whichever one rolls off the tongue easier I guess. Kekkai Sensen is a lot easier to say than Blood Blockade Battlefront, but on the flip side, Attack on Titan is a lot easier to say than Shingeki no Kyojin. So I just take it on a case-by-case basis.
Aug 3, 2020 6:58 AM

Oct 2018
I just say whatever rolls off of the tongue better most of the time. The long light novel names I always so in English though

Aug 3, 2020 7:14 AM

Jun 2016
Usually the japanese name because it's easier for me to say although I use the english name whenever I feel like it's the more popular and recognizable.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 3, 2020 7:19 AM
Jul 2018
English name is easiest to remember.
Aug 3, 2020 7:27 AM

Jan 2020
It depends on the title's length. If the Japanese title for an anime is too long, I just use its shortened Japanese title and/or its English title.
Aug 3, 2020 7:29 AM

Apr 2018
When typing, mostly Japanese. If the title is too long, mostly switch to an alternative title whether it's English or Japanese.

For example, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru to Oregairu.

When talking to a friend, face-to-face, mostly I'll be using the shortest one, even sometimes alias.

For example, Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e to Anos.
ใ€€
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
โ€• Mark Twain
ใ€€
Aug 3, 2020 7:38 AM
May 2015
Since I speak English, I'll call it by its English name, most of the time. Sometimes, I'll call it in Japanese. It all depends though..

For example, I say "Blue Exorcist" instead of "Ao No Exorcist" because it's so much easier to say. Another example is "Attack on Titan" instead of "Shingeki No Kyojin". I remember one person coming in my profile and recommended me to watch AoT but the mf typed it in Japanese. "Yo, have you watched Shingeki no Kyojin?". I was like "What the fuck is Shingeki no Kyojin ๐Ÿ˜‚"? At the time, I didn't know that was the Japanese name for Attack on Titan so please, if y'all are going to recommend me an anime, call it by their English name because that's what I'm used to.

In the case of long-ass LN titles, I don't care whether it's in English or Japanese, I'll say both as long as it's short. For example, "Oregairu" instead of "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU".
jc9622Aug 3, 2020 7:45 AM

Aug 3, 2020 7:38 AM

Dec 2016
English name, the japanese names are too complicated to remember
ํ•œ ๋ฒˆ๋งŒ ์‚ด์ง€๋งŒ ์ œ๋Œ€๋กœ ํ•˜๋ฉด ํ•œ ๋ฒˆ์ด๋ฉด ์ถฉ๋ถ„ํ•ด์š”
Aug 3, 2020 7:41 AM
Aug 2018
Whichever is the easiest to say like I'd always say Shirobako than say White Box or even use abbreviations like FMAB or HxH.
Aug 3, 2020 7:57 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Whichever is easier to remember or more generally used.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Aug 3, 2020 8:01 AM
Oct 2017
It depends on how catchy the Japanese name is. Kakushigoto is catchy and easy. Futsutsukamono no Ani desu ga is not.
Aug 3, 2020 8:03 AM
ๆ—ฅ้‡Žๆฃฎ้›ซ

Apr 2019
Depends on if the japanese is short and easy to remember (ex. Kimi ni Todoke) if the title is long, then i usually address it in english.

โœง forum set by the amazing, yashika-chwan <3 โœง
Aug 3, 2020 8:07 AM

Aug 2013
I always tend to name foreign media with its original title. I don't like using translated English into my language too because they are usually moronic. Same goes to Japanese->English/Other Languages. Not to mention that English is not my primary language and I couldn't care less about titles translated to English.
When the title is long, I'm using original shortened version (hamefura, oregairu, sukasuka etc).

jc9622 said:

For example, I say "Blue Exorcist" instead of "Ao No Exorcist" because it's so much easier to say. Another example is "Attack on Titan" instead of "Shingeki No Kyojin". I remember one person coming in my profile and recommended me to watch AoT but the mf typed it in Japanese. "Yo, have you watched Shingeki no Kyojin?". I was like "What the fuck is Shingeki no Kyojin ๐Ÿ˜‚"? At the time, I didn't know that was the Japanese name for Attack on Titan so please, if y'all are going to recommend me an anime, call it by their English name because that's what I'm used to.

This is international site. Most people that aren't from English speaking countries are using original Japanese titles.
rsc-plAug 3, 2020 8:14 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 3, 2020 8:57 AM

Feb 2015
Whatever that's not a mouthful is what I abide at :P
Aug 3, 2020 8:59 AM

Jul 2019
For Assassination Classroom I'll just use the english one. The Japanese name for it, is just harder to say. I'll just usually say the easier one to say.
Aug 3, 2020 9:01 AM
็ฉ‚ไนƒๆžœใฏ็ฅž

Oct 2015
whatever I feel like

sometimes I say boku no hero, others I say my hero

sometimes, when I'm in the mood, like right now, I will do a slash. "Boku no Hero/My Hero Academia"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2020 10:06 AM

Oct 2018
Depends on the anime.

For example I call Mirai Nikki and Kuzu no Honkai by there Japanese title.

I call The Promised Neverland and Attack on Titan by there English title.

Then there are some were I alternate between the two. Like Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voice, Kimi no Na Wa/Your Name, or Boku no Hero Academia/My Hero Academia.
Aug 3, 2020 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
Whichever name seems more convenient to me - that's usually the one which is shorter and easier to remember.
Aug 3, 2020 11:03 PM
Mar 2017
Most of (like 97% of watched) - use japanese name (sometimes shortened like konosuba or tensura), but for few mainstream anime (like FMA, GitS) use english because people don't really know their japanese titles so there is really no choice here.
Aug 3, 2020 11:15 PM

Feb 2019
The name or acronym which is most popular so that most people get what anime I am talking about.
Aug 3, 2020 11:44 PM

Jul 2012
It depends on the anime and the moment. Sometimes I'll say Kuroshitsuji / Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun / Mahoutsukai no Yome, some other time I'll say Black Butler / My Little Monster / Ancient Magus Bride.

If the japanese name has a short name (Anohana, Oregairu, Danmachi, RikeKoi), I use those most of the time.

With my best friend when talking about anime we usually use one or few words: (Mahouka, A Place, Shingeki, Bungou, Richard, Cavalry, Miira, Ao) or sometimes even half of a word lol (Assassi, Inu, Nora, Quali, Nise, Bake)
Aug 4, 2020 2:22 PM

Apr 2007
I go with whichever is easiest. Usually that means english since some shows have ridiculously long names.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 4, 2020 2:30 PM

Apr 2012
A few years ago I would have said the japanese names but now it's mostly the english names. In some cases I use the japanese shortened names like Oregairu or Oreimo.
Aug 4, 2020 2:33 PM

Jan 2009
whichever is easy to say and remember
Aug 4, 2020 3:19 PM

Jan 2017
I tend to use the Japanese name. Because I tend to learn it 1st.
Aug 4, 2020 3:31 PM

Jan 2020
It depends on the length and what most people call it, But most of the time I'll say the Japanese name to sound cool and informed.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Aug 4, 2020 3:36 PM
Jul 2020
I pretty much use the name that is dominant in English speaking countries. For example I would always say Attack on Titan instead of Shingeki no Kyojin. However I still call Noragami by its Japanese name because it's referred to by that in English speaking countries anyway.
The criteria I use when rating shows is on my profile.
Aug 4, 2020 3:37 PM

Sep 2008
japanese, unless the title sucks. I'll come up with my own version then. see: slimeshit.
it refers to slime isekai.
้ฆฌ้นฟใ’ใŸๅ€ซ็†ใ€€ๅ…จ้ƒจใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใง
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Shouldn't Streaming Service be charging for Subtitles to keep up with cost?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

12 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» J. Michael Tatum Appreciation Thread

APolygons2 - 6 hours ago

3 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 7 hours ago

17 by MeguSae38 »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime you would watch if it never ended

ST63LTH - 11 hours ago

20 by Zimmu »»
13 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.