Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any languages that you want to learn or that you're fascinated by?

New
Feb 18, 2020 8:40 PM

Oct 2018
If so, which ones?

I'm learning French currently, and I want to learn German next. Languages such as Amharic or Arabic always fascinated me, because how different they are compared to the Latin Alphabet and the many rules associated with many Romance or Germanic languages.
Feb 18, 2020 8:59 PM
Jul 2018
My mother should have taught me her native language - Yoruba. Her excuses for not doing so are pathetic. The main one she cites is that my father is Jamaican and it would be disrespectful to speak it when he can’t understand. Well now my whole line won’t understand either. I may as well have been born to a former slave line or been adopted then.

I learned a bit of French in school but I think Spanish sounds coolest of all languages. German and some of the Arab languages sound least appealing to my ears.
Feb 18, 2020 8:59 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Other than Japanese? XD
I'd like to learn more Latin if possible, I'm already starting to forget the Latin class I had a couple of years ago... Spanish too, I can safely say I'm intermediate in Spanish but I'm willing to learn more.
I definitely need to actually learn my parents' native language though, I'm seriously so shit at it.

Also tried to learn some German once... it's not as easy as the other languages I've learned...
Feb 18, 2020 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
Japanese obviously.

However, thanks to anime as well as taking Japanese classes for one and a half years, I already know the basics (even though I have forgotten some already).

French, German, Russian and Latin are my top choices.
Feb 18, 2020 9:34 PM

Feb 2015
Armenian

It forms its own branch in the Indo-European language family. Sounds like an amalgamation of Albanian and Indo-Iranian languages.

Feb 18, 2020 9:36 PM

Jul 2019
Japanese and French. Of course, Japanese because I'm a weeb and French. I thought about going to college in France and right now in school, I'm taking IB French but we basically failing and I want to drop it.
Feb 18, 2020 11:06 PM
takodachi

Jan 2020
I really want to learn mandarin so badly. Not only does the language itself fascinate me but also I would have plenty of career opportunities if I was fluent in the language

𝒫𝑜𝓅 𝒶 𝓅𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑔𝑒𝓉 𝒾𝓂𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶𝓁𝒾𝓏𝑒𝒹
𝒯𝒽𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝓅𝓇𝑜𝒸𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓇𝒾𝒹𝑒
𝒫𝓊𝓇𝒾𝒻𝓎 𝓂𝓎 𝓅𝑜𝒾𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑒𝒹 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹

Feb 18, 2020 11:09 PM

Apr 2013
I always wanted to learn a third language after German and English, but since I never need Spanish or Italian in everyday life it seemed kinda pointless. Thanks to anime I at least get in contact with Japanese almost on a daily basis, so I started learning Japanese a few years ago.
Feb 18, 2020 11:35 PM

Mar 2018
Japanese, German, and Russian. Maybe Czech.
Feb 18, 2020 11:37 PM

Jul 2016
anixt4n said:
I really want to learn mandarin so badly. Not only does the language itself fascinate me but also I would have plenty of career opportunities if I was fluent in the language.

Good luck learning Chinese,i'm sure it must be pretty hard learning it as a newbie to the language.祝你成功!
SummerynFeb 18, 2020 11:40 PM
Feb 19, 2020 12:13 AM

Feb 2019
Sanskrit is the only language that I'm fascinated by.
Feb 19, 2020 3:13 AM

Mar 2019
latin, I want to tell someone that I learnt a dead language just to flex on them
Feb 19, 2020 3:45 AM

Mar 2008
Too many...can't get myself to learn properly because I am so busy with other things and when I do try to learn I just keep pilling on more languages. I attempted to learn French, German, and Norwegian. I also attempted a little Irish but I would prefer Scottish Gaelic, also tried Welsh, Romanian, Hungarian, Esperanto (terribly stupid language), Greek, Japanese, Turkish (didn't like how blended the language is with Arabic), Estonian, and Russian. I have memorized a few sanskrit mantras and their meaning at one point. Unfortunately I forgot a lot of what I did learn because I didn't get proficient enough I could use these languages daily. I also would like to know how to read ancient Egyptian, and speak Old Norse (but i could settle for Icelandic which is clsoest living to it )
Feb 19, 2020 3:50 AM

Jan 2020
My mom taught French and Spanish, so you'd think I'd take either one of those to have easy help for my homework when I was in school, right?

Nope. I took Latin, and considering just how much Spanish is in Florida, I really do wish that I took Spanish to understand things a bit better. So, I wanna learn that, French, Italian, German, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean (I've heard that out of the Asian languages, this might be the easiest one to start off with, but I can always be wrong), Japanese and Russian.

"No letter that could be sent deserves to go undelivered." - Violet Evergarden
signature and forum avatar made by Memor!
Feb 19, 2020 4:20 AM
Feb 2015
Well, I speak Dutch & English fluently due my family being from the US, I grew up with Dutch as first language though and English as my second.

I would love to learn Spanish, Korean & Japanese.
Feb 19, 2020 4:40 AM

Jun 2019
Something that has way different grammar rules than the ones I have already learned so it could be my segway to similar languages of that kind.
I'd prefer something easy ;'(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2020 5:15 AM

Oct 2017
I speak French and English as my mother tongue, my dad was Irish-American and my mother is French-Canadian so that helped a lot. We speak French only when no family member or friend from the U.S is around. I could speak English decently from the age of 8, and by the age of 10, I was fluent. In addition, I speak German decently.

I have an interest in learning Russian, however, my time is short now to learn other languages, I know the Cyrillic script but it only saved me from getting lost on the metro system.

I have a fascination with the Finnish language, but I think I'll never learn this language.

Also, I know all Texan slang words.

My Spanish estas bueno and my Portuguese está mais ou menos, digamos talvez 70%. I can read and write in all romance Sorry Romania languages but I can't properly speak Spanish and Portuguese for some reason I feel insecure when trying to pronounce these difficult words.

OT: I know Latin.

''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Feb 19, 2020 5:29 AM

Jul 2015
spanish because it's phonetically consistent, very expressive with all its conjugations, and logically structured
japanese because I consume so much japanese media.
Feb 19, 2020 5:31 AM

May 2018
Im currently learning British Sign Language and even though ive been practicing it almost daily since I was 14 I am no where near fluent yet.

A cool language would be Japanese obviously (I am a weeb after all) but another language is Malay. I used to live in Malaysia and at least 70% of my friends live there, including my best friend. While they all speak fluent English it'd be cool to also know Malay, because they speak Malay as well as English.
Feb 19, 2020 5:32 AM

Oct 2017
Well, if you ask me about a language that I want to learn I will say Japanese of course so I won't find any problems if I don't find a subbed anime. Also, I want to learn English more since my first language is Arabic and I studied French as a second language, but French is just gorgeous so it's not my type.
Feb 19, 2020 5:35 AM

Jul 2016
I'm quite fascinated to learn how Chinese works, or any language more based on tone and pronunciation than most European languages
Feb 19, 2020 6:35 AM

Oct 2019
Right now I'm learning Russian, but for languages to learn? Too many to count. I'd love to learn living languages, made-up languages, extinct languages...I think I have a language issue.
Feb 19, 2020 7:12 AM

Aug 2012
Arabic and English. I used to learn French before I quit because of laziness. Should've just gotten along with it since I was half way through. I regret that, atleast.
Feb 19, 2020 1:08 PM

Apr 2015
Imo every language can have something interesting going on. I had no passion to learn English, and didn't even really try tbh reason why grammar is a bitch special fuck you to articles, but I do find it fascinating how many different dialects there are in English language.

I think Church Slavonic language has very interesting history. Read some about Somali too and I could try to learn in future some really basic things about it just for fun. But I'm mostly interested in Uralic languages, I read dictionaries in internet from time to time. As for actual learning I'm self studying Estonian and Russian atm (I can as of now understand some very basic sentences), and started to learn basic grammar of Latvian. And well I always learn something new about English and Swedish. Honestly I didn't know that pluck has another meaning before reading Anna Karenina.
Feb 19, 2020 1:13 PM

Nov 2017
I'm currently majoring in Japanese; I plan on taking Korean classes for summer school too. Chinese Mandarin is another language I would love to eventually learn.
Feb 19, 2020 1:17 PM

Jan 2016
Japanese and Korean are the only other languages I'm currently interested in learning

Cuz they'd be actually useful for me to learn xdddd
Feb 19, 2020 1:53 PM

May 2019
Not really. I kind of just want everyone to speak the same language to make life easier for me. I suggest American as the universal language.
Feb 19, 2020 1:56 PM

May 2013
There are so many untranslated JRPGs and esoteric fetish Doujinshi it kills me.

So I guess Weeb.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Feb 19, 2020 2:05 PM

Feb 2019
Besides the ones I'm already learning, I'm interested in mandarin and Arabic, but honestly I don't have the same ease to learn new tough languages I had before, so I guess it's just going to stay in the realm of interest.
Feb 19, 2020 2:40 PM

Jan 2017
I want to learn Japanese. I watch many Japanese anime and movies and I would rather not have to worry about the subtitles. I would also light to read Japanese light novels, because i hate waiting for translations.
Feb 23, 2020 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
Currently learning Japanese, I wanna learn polish it off first.
Aside from that, my own paternal tongue, Cymraeg, which I know none of.
Feb 23, 2020 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
German, because Rammstein, and my dark sense of humor.

Feb 23, 2020 11:44 PM

Feb 2017
I'm currently learning Swedish (mandatory) and German as I find it pleasant-sounding.
I'd also like to learn Russian but I doubt that'll happen.
Feb 24, 2020 12:32 AM

Mar 2015
Japanese because you know, weeb. And Russian. I took some classes in school on it but those were a disaster so currently my Russian skills are limited to being able to read Cyrillic but not understand it lol But it's still an interesting language so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up again in the future.
Feb 24, 2020 12:42 AM

Oct 2019
russian sounds pretty cool. I'd also like to learn German so I can communicate with my sister better
Feb 24, 2020 12:48 AM

Oct 2010
Hungarian because I wanna communicate with the locals here better. And Spanish, my current level is horrible
Feb 24, 2020 5:08 AM

May 2013
yeah, i always wanted to learn spanish, i love the accents so much

Feb 24, 2020 5:11 AM

Sep 2019
I wanna learn korean... there are a lot of k popers here...

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 24, 2020 6:01 AM

Dec 2019
I've wanted to learn Finnish since I was a teenager so a few months ago I finally signed up for a class! Now I'm ~three months in and I love it, even though it's hard because there are zero similarities to any other languages I speak. ^-^

I also want to learn Chinese but doubt I will ever start because I hate memorizing things. (I refuse to memorize vocabulary, let alone those Five Thousand Most Common Chinese Symbols books.)

I assume my next language after Finnish will be Japanese, mostly because I speak Korean so learning Japanese will be quite easy, and it's very convenient for work reasons. Only after I'm confident in Finnish, though. Gotta concentrate on one language at a time. :)
♥️
Feb 24, 2020 7:46 AM

Jun 2014
I used to want to learn languages, but I no longer have the motivation to try. When I was in my mid-20s, I could study a language every day for 2 months before I'd quit, but if I try to learn a language now, I end up quitting after 2 or 3 days. I just can't do it anymore. I've also never been able to practice speaking other languages, as only English speakers exist where I live.

Several weeks ago, I attempted to learn French, as I have French ancestry, and I learned a little bit of French in school from grade 1 up to grade 9, but I can't even introduce myself in the language, because they hardly taught us anything in school. They waited until grade 9 to teach verb conjugation, and by that point, I wasn't even giving an effort in school anymore. I quit French, because I cannot stand the sound of the language, as it has the dreaded "guttural R," and a bunch of nasal sounds. When it comes to romance languages, I prefer Italian.

I'd of course, like to learn Japanese, but the word order is too complex for me to figure out, so I don't think I'll make another attempt to learn it again.

Feb 24, 2020 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
I'm interested in high German and Slavic languages like Russian, Czech, Serbian etc.

Maybe also a bit of Hebrew.

The more I indulge in Japanese culture, the less interested I become in the language...
Feb 24, 2020 8:05 AM

Dec 2018
German. Man is that a cool ass language. Plus it would be helpful, I have many family friends that I’ve basically grown up with who know German.
Feb 24, 2020 8:16 AM

Nov 2017
Since I can speak Japanese, I'm most likely going to start learning Korean this year.

The other languages I'm gonna be fluent in one day are German and Greek
Feb 24, 2020 8:58 AM

Feb 2015
I'm also fascinated by Ancient Greek. It had pitch accent which makes it a melodic language.

Feb 24, 2020 9:35 PM

May 2018
Japanese been pretty fun to learn, learning about its history and modern sociocultural situation help a lot too. I mean you really start to learn to appreciate a culture when you see all of it's faces.

Next will probably be Chinese and if I have time Spanish would be great.
A Signature Is Supposed To Be Here.
Feb 24, 2020 10:54 PM

Feb 2019
Well, yea, but I’m not really interested in going through the long and grueling process of learning a language.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

35 by MalchikRepaid »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 4 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
49 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.