Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 9, 2020 7:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad for an episode.

Richard has an intellect that I'm keen on knowing more. First episode involves the hidden mysteries of a red gem with a certain level of mystique. I'm guessing this show's format will follow storytelling in a similar suit with different mysteries each time.

Has potential.
Jan 9, 2020 8:10 AM

Oct 2010
Is this Shounen Ai?
Jan 9, 2020 9:09 AM

Aug 2008
Kougeru said:
Is this Shounen Ai?

mystery, shoujo from what i know
The spider is watching
Jan 9, 2020 9:12 AM

Feb 2019
This anime surely has potential to be awesome. I mean the concept itself is very interesting.

Also 'Ratnapura' where Richard's granny is from means 'city of gems' in sanskrit.

Kougeru said:
Is this Shounen Ai?
There is no such a hint in the episode. It might turn out to be one, who knows?
Jan 9, 2020 10:05 AM
Sep 2016
I feel like it has an interesting story to tell, but on the technical side, it's pretty boring. I was mostly disinterested until we got to the ending backstory and I found it pretty interesting (though it does make me question how the fuck you can survive a train hit that's maybe why she's in the wheelchair), though pretty boring at points.

It just doesn't do anything to make Richerd's job seem particularly interesting. Plus, while I know no matter what inviting the other guy into his business would be contrived, the way they did it here felt almost comically contrived.

That doesn't mean that the animation is bad and the VA work wasn't bad but it overall wasn't a solid premier.
It really do be like that though.

Jan 9, 2020 10:10 AM
Jan 2018
Please tell me this isn’t going to turn Gay
Jan 9, 2020 10:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
OGAnime said:

Why would that be a problem?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2020 10:35 AM

Mar 2013
For those who are wondering about the BL thing on this anime: just by watching episode 1 I can tell that this has some fujobait vibes but it's not shounen-ai on it's essence.
Jan 9, 2020 10:35 AM
Apr 2016
Ahhh I've been waiting for this. I really like the OP.

Didn't really feel much for this episode. Not bad but I'm kind of disappointed. The backstory felt more emotional in the novel... And they've cut out some scenes as well
Jan 9, 2020 10:45 AM

Nov 2009
OGAnime said:

Why do people watch anime aimed at fujoshi then complain about the fujoshi pandering? Are people that dumb that they can't tell that an anime featuring two sparky bishies on the cover may not pander to you?
Jan 9, 2020 10:49 AM
Sep 2015
The appraiser reminds me of Kyōto Teramachi Sanjō no Holmes with a scent of Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori.
Jan 9, 2020 10:52 AM

May 2016
Since no one said it yet, I guess I will. Looks like this is the... hidden gem.. of the season.
Jan 9, 2020 10:55 AM
Jan 2018
Bernrika said:
OGAnime said:

Why do people watch anime aimed at fujoshi then complain about the fujoshi pandering? Are people that dumb that they can't tell that an anime featuring two sparky bishies on the cover may not pander to you?

I’m not weeb enough to know. I just saw the synopsis, felt like detective stuff. Want to give it a try unless it’s gay.
Jan 9, 2020 10:56 AM
May 2017
This was decent. 6/10 Nothing special and kind of boring. but the mysteries of the gems keep me intrigued.
Jan 9, 2020 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
Richard personality is good calm , smart
Jan 9, 2020 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
So much better than i expected. Excellent.
Jan 9, 2020 11:07 AM

Oct 2018
what lovely episode !!!! I always fall in love with mystery anime ^_^
btw how many episode is gonna be there?

some people don't wanna watch this bcz it could be yaoi.. I want to ask them whats the problem??

Mod Edit: Double Post merged
Fleeting_DreamJan 10, 2020 8:28 AM
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 9, 2020 11:10 AM
May 2016
OGAnime said:
Bernrika said:

I’m not weeb enough to know. I just saw the synopsis, felt like detective stuff. Want to give it a try unless it’s gay.

don't worry, it won't turn gay, and idk your beliefs or standing on homosexuality but even if it appeared in an anime you might watch in the future, it shouldn't really matter that much, it's just an anime, who they fall in love with should be secondary unless you're watching it just for romance
Jan 9, 2020 11:15 AM

Apr 2009
Wow, this was dull. Also uh, Studio Shuka is not a bad studio, but between the dull colors and the giant chins, it also kinda looks like shit. I foresee QUALITY.

The gay panic in this thread is p.funny though.

Jan 9, 2020 11:17 AM

Sep 2017
Cdynamo said:
I feel like it has an interesting story to tell, but on the technical side, it's pretty boring. I was mostly disinterested until we got to the ending backstory and I found it pretty interesting (though it does make me question how the fuck you can survive a train hit that's maybe why she's in the wheelchair), though pretty boring at points.

It just doesn't do anything to make Richerd's job seem particularly interesting. Plus, while I know no matter what inviting the other guy into his business would be contrived, the way they did it here felt almost comically contrived.

That doesn't mean that the animation is bad and the VA work wasn't bad but it overall wasn't a solid premier.

Quite exactly what I thought. It feels like one of those "it-may-as-well-be-a-live-action-J-drama-but-we-don't-have-the-money-so-we've-made-a-low-budget-anime" show. Nothing in it utilises the medium as animation. The story is fine (better than I expected) but it could've been presented in a much better way if only the whole thing was not handled so matter-of-fact-ish.
Jan 9, 2020 11:21 AM

Jan 2017
the whole thing with hero of justice is pretty dumb, well at least richard is an eyecandy
Jan 9, 2020 11:21 AM
Apr 2016
Is this the "cute boys doing stupid things" kind of series? Where is my "not-so cute boys with endless development potential doing complicated and meaningful things to make a point"?! YOU COULD NOT HAVE GIVEN IT TO SOMEONE FROM THE CROWD!!
Re:formed
Jan 9, 2020 11:29 AM

Oct 2013
emraanash said:
some people don't wanna watch this bcz it could be yaoi.. I want to ask them whats the problem??

Well, some ppl also dont like yuri stuff, and some ppl dont like yaoi stuff
Jan 9, 2020 11:35 AM

May 2018
I hope this would be more like that of Sherlock and Watson kind of relationship.
Jan 9, 2020 11:39 AM

Mar 2016
This was actually good.

The art and animation are so beautiful.

I love the character designs!

Seeing two attractive men together, I wish this would be slightly gay, but not to the point of becoming a fujobait.

I liked the story. It knew what it wanted to be, and I hope it stays this way till the end.
Jan 9, 2020 11:40 AM

Sep 2015
emraanash said:

A lot of people also just watch garbage stuff because of the fan service, they probably would not keep with just the garbage/boring plot if there was none fan service.

So, Since the material don't seems to be much good here it's easy to assume they could just don't have the interest to even start it. They already know there will be nothing to compensate for the boring stuff.
Jan 9, 2020 11:42 AM

Oct 2017
Heartwarming start, this has piqued my interest. I like both Richard and Seigi. The artwork and character designs are quite beautiful. Really excited to see what type of mystery anime this will turn out to be.
Jan 9, 2020 12:29 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Pretty bland and generic presentation but otherwise it was a nice episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 9, 2020 12:41 PM
Jun 2015
This show is almost exactly like Holmes of Kyoto that aired either spring or summer 2018. But instead of appraising antiques it’s jewelry. If this show is anything like that one it should be pleasant but otherwise unremarkable.

And when MC blushed at the girl in the crosswalk that was their subtle way of telling you that while this might have yaoi bait, it’s not shounen ai.
SailorJenny95Jan 9, 2020 12:46 PM
Jan 9, 2020 12:50 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Fine first episode, it seems to be kinda ok/good I hope it will improve
Jan 9, 2020 12:50 PM

Jul 2017
Interesting show by the looks of it. First ep was pretty slow-paced but I'm guessing that's how it's gonna be for the rest of it.

idk from where the BL vibes are coming from lmao. If anything the only slight romantic hint was with that encounter with the girl who almost got tricked by the old dude
Jan 9, 2020 12:53 PM

Aug 2008
for the love of god this is not gay or anything o.0
The spider is watching
Jan 9, 2020 1:03 PM

Oct 2018
shiro_kai said:
emraanash said:

A lot of people also just watch garbage stuff because of the fan service, they probably would not keep with just the garbage/boring plot if there was none fan service.

So, Since the material don't seems to be much good here it's easy to assume they could just don't have the interest to even start it. They already know there will be nothing to compensate for the boring stuff.

so they should watch hentai :)

Jan 9, 2020 1:07 PM

Sep 2015
emraanash said:
shiro_kai said:

Sometimes you don't want to fap, just get entertained. Cheap fan service works better for that
Jan 9, 2020 1:08 PM

Jul 2015
Sausagefest. Skipping this one.

Jan 9, 2020 1:09 PM

Oct 2018
shiro_kai said:
emraanash said:

Sometimes you don't want to fap, just get entertained. Cheap fan service works better for that

I am all for fanservice but if there is a good story it doesn't matter what kind of fanservice I am getting.

Jan 9, 2020 1:23 PM
Jan 2019
Charming show,intrigued by all the stories we'll hopefully hear about the gems. The message of the episode was also really sweet. Nothing special and to some boringly slow-paced,but worth a watch for relaxation in my book.

(also what's with all the "gay vibes" people are getting?? I like my BL,but it's just two pretty guys hunting for gems and making other people's lives better. If anything he blushed after he met that girl student)
Jan 9, 2020 1:24 PM

Sep 2017
It was fine but nothing special. This kinda slow drama could really be enhanced by great directing and animation, but so far it's just pretty average. I felt like I was having a stoke when the old lady went from "feeling so free and not sad" when her ring was stolen to being "so sad she wanted to die" because her parents were mad the ring was stolen. Like, are you dumb? Of course they were mad. Ahhh old ass times. Approval from family means more than your life.
Jan 9, 2020 1:52 PM

Nov 2016
I honestly thought that this was going to be a yaoi when they met, like, "that's the first time I met Richardo"

Richardo.
Jan 9, 2020 2:00 PM

Nov 2016
I agree that the presentation is a bit bland, which is a shame, but not dealbreaker for me, conceptwise it's interesting and I enjoyed the episode for that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 9, 2020 2:00 PM

Mar 2019
a lot of fragile minds here, LOL
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jan 9, 2020 2:07 PM

Mar 2017
Not a very eventful episode but the end hinted at what could be a really great anime! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes and to be honest, I already really love Seigi and Richard. I like learning about the jewels and gemstones too!

I found it quite funny that Richard wants Seigi to be informal with him yet he's so formal himself haha

Also, Yuuma Uchida, Kana Hanazawa AND Takahiro Sakurai?! Now that it the cast that dreams are made of 😍
Jan 9, 2020 2:12 PM
Dec 2019
The visuals, OST and the anime in general feels relaxing, i enjoyed watching it. Idk really how will this story continue.

86/100
Jan 9, 2020 2:30 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty bad. If the "mystery" is why they would call explaining what happened a mystery, then this could be the worst show of the cour.
Jan 9, 2020 2:35 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I really enjoyed it! This seems more like a slice of life series so far, the sort or mellow tone and soft bgm. Remind me of some of my other favorite episodic slice of life such as Bartender and Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori (except without the comedy). The presentation seems more grounded, which works for the story in this episode, most likely the rest of the series. I'd rather it not turn out like Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes which is like fake mystery, but I feel like Shuuka has a good staff for this, especially with the same scriptwriter/series composition as Honzuki no Gekokujou from last season. If the source material is good, then this show is in good hands.
Jan 9, 2020 3:06 PM

Sep 2011
I was looking forward to this one, and I totally loved this first episode. Seigi and Richard are cool, and I love how that ring ended up connecting them after their first meeting. The story behind it, with Seigi's grandmother and that lady, was also good and kind of moving. He couldn't give the ring back, but I believe Seigi got the closure he needed. Can't wait for more. The OP and ED were also good, I especially liked the ED.
Jan 9, 2020 3:12 PM

Apr 2015
Omg they are on a first name basis already that escalated quickly ;u;

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Jan 9, 2020 5:19 PM
Nov 2019
Shuka never disappoints. Great episode
Jan 9, 2020 5:26 PM

Nov 2019
So to summarise..

1. Seigi happened to stumble upon Richard getting assaulted.
  2. Richard happened to have a very specific skillset that Seigi needed.
  3. Richard happened to know the owner of the ring personally and she told him all about it in a past event. Keep in mind that the ring was stolen ~50 years ago.
  4. Richard's grandmother happened to be from the same country where the gemstone of that ring was mined.

I know they're going with the whole serendipity angle, but..

Jan 9, 2020 5:41 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
This doesn't feel like a Shounen Ai to me, but rather a mystery/ slice of life series that revolves around the partnership between Ricard and Seigi. This is one of those animes you would want to watch at night while having a glass of wine.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2020

70 by Destroyer31 »»
Aug 31, 2023 10:56 AM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

73 by BlaizeV »»
Jun 14, 2023 1:04 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

46 by removed-user »»
Jan 23, 2023 1:35 PM

» Official English release of the novel is out now

hirahira - Jun 30, 2022

2 by demision »»
Jun 30, 2022 3:44 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

33 by Kitty-Kate »»
Apr 14, 2022 9:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.