Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 3, 2020 1:14 PM
Oct 2018
Who has caught up on there plan to watch list? Does it feel great knowing you can leave old anime behind and just watch New Seasonal Anime and re-watch old favorites?

For those who are still catching up are you looking forward to the day you catch up or are you glad you have so much to watch? Does your PTW get you discouraged?

My MAL account is a mess so the numbers are off but I am 17 anime away from being fully caught up and it feels great. After watching about 15ish shows that I felt like were a waste of time I decided to only watch stuff I actually want to watch due to a busy life which helped a ton. I am excited just to focus on current anime instead of old stuff. I usually only have about 6 anime each season I am interested in so it will be awesome to just focus on those and re-watch some old favorites here and there. Hopefully this will free up more time for my other hobbies. Just wanted to share where I am at in my journey.
Fridge24Jan 3, 2020 1:18 PM
Jan 3, 2020 1:37 PM

Sep 2017
[looks at my plan to watch list]
cannot relate...
I was a casual anime fan until like 2 years ago so most classics I haven't watched (but thankfully im very picky! I only watch like 3-6 shows a season!)
Jan 3, 2020 1:37 PM
Apr 2016
[Looks at his own plan to watch list]
Caught up alright.
Re:formed
Jan 3, 2020 2:01 PM

Aug 2019
I still have like over 100 animes to watch...

Jan 3, 2020 2:03 PM

Apr 2019
I have like 150 anime in my plan to watch list and I rarely watch seasonal anime, so...
Jan 3, 2020 2:08 PM

Dec 2012
There is no catching up to my plan to watch list. It's always having things added to it like an endless assembly line, new anime I've discovered that sound interesting, movies I'm waiting to see, sequels to stuff I've watched, the next season's worth of stuff I'm going to watch, etc. Right now it's sitting at 366 titles.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 3, 2020 2:10 PM

Aug 2016
feels good. i was initially at 600 when I first made an account

now all my plan to watch are not yet aired.

i do keep a separate list of possible ones that I could be interested but by no means are they a guarantee to watch . once I pick something off that list, that means I'm going to watch it immediately. this is necessary for my cool down period of not watching seasonals for first 6 weeks so i can mini binge
Jan 3, 2020 2:13 PM

Sep 2012
i stopped watching airing and on-going anime (except OP)
i am just trying to finish my PTW,,,
and to finish it i am also using Challenges to do them randomly,

my plan is to complete all my PTW, than gonna take it easy i guess and watch randomly as well while doing Anime Challenges
Jan 3, 2020 2:16 PM

Oct 2018
I don't see the plan to watch list as a duty or must do thing, imo it's just a way to keep track of stuff like "Ah, this anime seems interesting, maybe I'll watch it."

Most of my ptw are not yet aired anyway
- ratings literally don't matter. (especially the top 10 or whatever)
- anime characters aren't real people.
- why do you have signatures on. lol
Jan 3, 2020 2:18 PM

Feb 2010
I don't intend to ever finish my PTW. It's just a way to collect everything that interests me even a little bit, but for the most part I don't pick what I watch from my PTW anyway. It's more like a last resort, if I don't have anything else I want to watch I go to my PTW and see what I find. But usually there's always something else that I want to prioritize.

Fridge24 said:
Who has caught up on there plan to watch list? Does it feel great knowing you can leave old anime behind and just watch New Seasonal Anime?

That seems kinda depressing. Only ever having the current season to pick from severely limits the options. Why would you ever voluntarily decide to never watch older/already finished anime again? The previous 5 decades of anime have so much to offer, I don't get treating them like some kind of burden that you need to 'leave behind'...

I decided to only watch stuff I actually want to watch

Oh well, that explains it. Why would you ever watch something that you actually don't want to watch? Why did it take you this long to start watching stuff you want to watch instead of stuff you don't want to watch? And why do you seem to blame older anime for that decision? Why not just apply that newfound philosophy of watching stuff you want to watch to older anime as well? That seems like a much better solution than never touching any non-seasonal again.

None of this makes any sense tbh.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 3, 2020 2:19 PM

Jun 2017
My PTW is basically things I would forget about them but want to watch them someday
Pullman said:
I don't intend to ever finish my PTW. It's just a way to collect everything that interests me even a little bit, but for the most part I don't pick what I watch from my PTW anyway. It's more like a last resort, if I don't have anything else I want to watch I go to my PTW and see what I find. But usually there's always something else that I want to prioritize.

Ah pullman said the better version
Jan 3, 2020 2:20 PM

Jan 2018
Im never going to finish my plan to watch, there is alot of shows and its not like im going to like alot of them, it just means im more likely to watch those shows
Jan 3, 2020 2:26 PM

Dec 2015
Sometimes I plan to catch up to my PTW list but.... I just keep watching new shows that aren't there
But someday I will catch up for sure since I stopped adding things there
Jan 3, 2020 2:39 PM

Jul 2016
A couple of months ago I deleted straight up everything on my PTW except the seven-ish things I was definitely gonna see. Since then I've watched one to completion (Penguin Highway) and added one (SSSS.Dynazenon) and I'm not planning to add anything else in the foreseeable future. There's technically my On Hold list as well, which I've also reduced down to three shows. Everything else I've just moved to Dropped. I'm also not watching seasonal anime any more, period.

Life is a lot better when I'm not watching anime every day, I've realised. I feel like I'm a more attractive person because of it.
Jan 3, 2020 3:00 PM

May 2014
I have no intention of watching everything on my PTW list anyway. If i see something mildly interesting i add it. Just so when i'm looking for an anime to watch i can have everything in one place.
Jan 3, 2020 3:12 PM

Jun 2019
Kruszer said:
There is no catching up to my plan to watch list. It's always having things added to it like an endless assembly line, new anime I've discovered that sound interesting, movies I'm waiting to see, sequels to stuff I've watched, the next season's worth of stuff I'm going to watch, etc. Right now it's sitting at 366 titles.

Ditto, this is almost word for word what I typed out before reading your post, weird. My ptw list started at about 50 when I joined mal in June & it's now climbed to 218!
Jan 3, 2020 3:54 PM

Oct 2008
I actually am slightly annoyed at how my plan to watch list keeps growing. Not that
having to many is a bad thing. Just that the number is growing faster than I can keep up.
Just recently I finished:

Dr. Stone
No guns life
Beastars
Ascendance of a Bookworm

And behold, they all will have sequels. That would be fine if I didn't already have:

Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara
Fruits basket
Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld 2nd season
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
Utawarerumono
Muv-Luv
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei s2

So yeah, I don't like falling behind to much and currently that's what's happening.
Jan 3, 2020 4:02 PM

Nov 2015
Fridge24 said:
Who has caught up on there plan to watch list? Does it feel great knowing you can leave old anime behind and just watch New Seasonal Anime and re-watch old favorites?

For those who are still catching up are you looking forward to the day you catch up or are you glad you have so much to watch? Does your PTW get you discouraged?

There is no such thing as catching up on your PTW (for me anyways XD).
For real though, I add to that list faster than I deplete it. It is extremely unlikely that I will ever get close to finishing it.

I'm not actually sure whether I would be happy or sad if I ended up finishing everything on there. I've never really treated my PTW like a To-do list or anything like that. It's just been the place where I put all the anime that look vaguely interesting to me.

That being said I don't think I use my PTW list the same way that everyone else does. I'll add to it like everybody else, but I'll also clean it out once a year - cutting down the hundreds of entries to just a few dozen. But even with the reduced amount I'm still not able to finish much before I start adding things again.
Jan 3, 2020 4:02 PM

Jun 2016
I don't use that feature. Every time I feel like watching something new I'll browse forums and message/image boards to see if they're talking about anything interesting or hit refresh on the recommendation engine on mal a couple of times.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 3, 2020 4:04 PM

Jan 2018
I acquired the feeling by never having a long PTW list. Picking what to watch on a whim is far better.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 3, 2020 4:08 PM

Oct 2014
I have some PTW goals, but I'd never put a rewatch ahead of them, except for when I get to 3k completed and will be rewatching a bunch of anime, which is really still a part of my ptw.
Jan 3, 2020 4:10 PM

May 2018
Yeah, @Jus1294 , this is it - having no Plan To Watch list is the absolute freedom.
Jan 3, 2020 4:11 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't know this feeling because I don't keep one.

It's amazing being liberated from pointless self-imposed obligations in your hobbies and watching whatever you feel like at that very moment all the time.

Jus1294 said:
I acquired the feeling by never having a long PTW list. Picking what to watch on a whim is far better.
alshu said:
Yeah, @Jus1294 , this is it - having no Plan To Watch list is the absolute freedom.

No PTW = best PTW squad assemble

Jan 3, 2020 4:31 PM
Sep 2019
I have almost as many on my PTW list than I do on my completed list. :/. Guess that makes me a noobie
Jan 3, 2020 4:36 PM

May 2015
Yes, I deleted my PTW long ago and only add next seasonals now to get notified when they air.

For everything else, I already know what anime I want to watch and I don't need the reminder to find it. If I forget, then I didn't really want to watch it, no big deal. This way I don't feel overwhelmed anymore and there's also more freedom to search for something new depending on the mood at the moment rather than adding something for later when I possibly probably might have the mood for it.
Jan 3, 2020 4:39 PM

Nov 2016
In the first couple years I watched anime, I added anything and everything that grabbed my attention, so I ended up with a PTW list around... 500-700 anime long? Then I took some time to delete all extras/sequels/things that didn't look my type and ended up with a couple hundred less. And now, a few years after that, I've gradually started adding mostly stuff that seems interesting, rather than absolutely everything, plus seasonals I'm interested in, and it's reached nearly 700 again welp. Key difference is in those first couple years I refused to drop anything, but now that I do, I know that as soon as I start something I don't like I'm free to drop whenever I want, which feels good. Might go thru the list now to see if there's anything I can remove but I'm pretty comfortable with the amount it's at now.
currently: doing my best!

Jan 3, 2020 6:30 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah I've already completed my plan to-wait, no. There's still 340 entries, so I guess I'm far from finishing this
Jan 3, 2020 6:40 PM

Jan 2018
Kruszer said:

Same here, I don't think I'll ever finish it, for every anime I finish, I add at least 4 more.
Jan 3, 2020 6:43 PM

Oct 2015
I don't think I can ever catch up to my plan to watch list... -.-

- Monthly Anime Club
- Youtube
Jan 3, 2020 7:10 PM

Nov 2018
A lot of people are so caught up with watching what's coming out every season that they either don't have time to go back and watch older anime, or that there isn't any desire because the quality of anime that's coming out is gradually getting better over time; 2019 was one of the best years for anime recently IMO.

On the other hand, I have over 1500 items that I've put on my plan to watch list. Although half of them are specials, movies and OVAs and whatnot, I've got enough content to watch anime for the next couple of years, and I've only got a dozen or so of the big, lengthy shows left to watch

If there's something good currently airing, I'll watch it, otherwise I'm binging older shows. There isn't any need for me to be up to date with 20-30 shows, or even everything.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 3, 2020 7:30 PM

Feb 2017
i'd like to finish my ptw list but there's always new stuff coming out every season that i get interested in so idk if i ever will.
Jan 3, 2020 7:48 PM
Feb 2014
*Looks at Plan to Watch List* Nope, far, far, far awaaay from it! I still keep telling myself that i'll reduce it someday, but that's just not happening, not with the slow pace i watch anime at, and especially not since new anime keep coming out that i'm interested in! My PTW does get me discouraged, i mean it's already at 416 and i'm at least interested seriously in half of it!!!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 3, 2020 7:53 PM

Oct 2015
I accepted a long time ago that I'm never even going to get close to watching everything on my PTW list.
Jan 3, 2020 7:56 PM

May 2013
I don't think that will ever happen because it keeps growing. 299 and counting lol.
I'm always finding new anime to add to the list.
Jan 3, 2020 8:59 PM

Aug 2015
The one I have on MAL sure I could finish that in a year if I really tried. The actual one that I use which is my crunchyroll queue, every recommendation on anigraph, and movies I want to watch that I haven't is a strong no. I'm just too lazy to add 1000 anime to my plan to watch list.
Jan 3, 2020 9:02 PM

Jul 2007
I actually caught up on my plan to watch list completely a couple years ago, but now it has become repopulated with more titles.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 3, 2020 9:08 PM

Oct 2013
I'm not even close to catching up on my plan to watch list.....especially since I keep adding things to it simi-regularly.
Jan 3, 2020 9:09 PM

Apr 2016
The plan to watch list is endless. Every time you finish one title, two more grow back in its place. Your plan to watch list will follow you to your grave forever taunting you about how you watched One Piece instead of the 75 other shows you could have finished in that time.
Jan 3, 2020 10:02 PM
Jan 2020
Why would you ever watch something that you actually don't want to watch? Why did it take you this long to start watching stuff you want to watch instead of stuff you don't want to watch? And why do you seem to blame older anime for that decision? Why not just apply that newfound philosophy myprepaidcenter.com
MarchannJan 6, 2020 1:51 AM
Jan 4, 2020 12:33 AM

May 2009
I don't have this sort of attachment to my PTW list's contents. Rather, it's just a way for me to make a note to myself to the effect of "this looked interesting".

Technically it contains two lists mixed together: "would like to check it out sometime" and "actually seriously plan to watch".

As such I basically add whatever I find interesting/intruiging/nice-looking/nice-sounding to it.

It's now big enough for me to use it as a place to browse for stuff to watch.

Also I don't watch seasonals so there is no point in being "caught up". Nor am I in a hurry to warch "classics".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 4, 2020 1:17 AM

Oct 2017
Haha I'm trying to knock off my On-Hold list right now, we're not even at the Plan to Watch list yet :)
Jan 4, 2020 1:27 AM

Sep 2008
I'm the opposite way. I'm worried that I'll run out of plan to watch stuff. I'm glad when I can leave behind seasonals just for a while for a few weeks before the new season starts and consumes my time.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 4, 2020 1:35 AM

Jan 2018
I don't think I've ever once genuinely thought about my PTW list. It's just kind of... there. It's mainly just a list of things I show a decent amount of interest in, but I'm in no rush to watch them all, nor do I have any kind of goal to clear it out. I'm quite regularly adding/removing titles.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 4, 2020 1:42 AM

Sep 2016
After experiencing less than 1% of the medium you want to ignore everything other than the new shows coming out because you're sure you've seen all that is worth seeing? I doubt there is any catching up for me. There will probably be older shows that I am interested in that are unsubbed when I die.
Jan 4, 2020 2:14 AM

Oct 2018
I honestly somewhat doubt I will catch up to my PTW list, but I would be surprised if I managed to
Yorokobe Shounen~!

Jan 4, 2020 2:19 AM

Nov 2014
Back at 87 PTW though lots of those are movies from seasonal stuff
I have loved but just can’t get around to and lots of not yet released stuff.

A while ago I went on a cull from my on hold and PTW list and dropped anything below an 8 here on MAL.
Jan 4, 2020 2:24 AM
Nov 2016
I am glad that my PTW is ever growing. If I had no anime to watch I would feel sad, coincidentaly it's how it is with my manga list. For some time I didn't know what to read.
Jan 4, 2020 2:39 AM
Jul 2015
More than a thousand to watch. Oh yeah :D
And those are the ones I have on disk. Oh well... I will never be free of PTW. since I watch 10 or more per season and only 2 or 3 per month (that are not seasonable...)
perkunos.blogspot.com
Jan 4, 2020 10:35 AM

Aug 2011
Like a lot of people have said, I use my "Plan to Watch" list more as a place for anime I just want to keep in mind, rather than to list anime I seriously intend to watch in the foreseeable future, so it'll never be empty. There are a lot of anime on the list that I will probably never watch, and other anime that aren't on the list that I definitely intend to watch. It's a really informal thing for me. I don't see it as a chore to be finished ASAP.

How can you already be almost done with all of the older anime you want to watch? There are hundreds of great anime from the past that it would be a real shame to miss out on.

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

110 by Kiryotsu »»
2 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

81 by girltokyo »»
43 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
19 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
27 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.