Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else hate when series blow up and become mainstream?

New
Sep 29, 2019 4:51 AM

Feb 2019
I know, I know. "It's good for the author, studio, series etc" but it always annoys me when a series I find when it's niche becomes something huge and mainstream, like KNY. I remember writing on the Gurenge music video back in Feb that it would be AOTY and everyone laughed it off "bro, what about Mob psycho!" "SNK pt 2!" etc etc, then episode 19 hits, subreddit blows up to 45k, MAL discussion posts have hundreds of posts about it and it's all over twitter.

I could be the only one who finds issue with it, just seeing if there's others out there.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2019 5:11 AM
Jul 2018
That's quite common hipster mentality. I've been guilty of it a time or two.
Sep 29, 2019 5:16 AM

Mar 2019
I can understand where you are coming from but it's not a good mentality, I personally get a little happy when it happens, but I used to hate it (at least with stuff like video games, I've never experienced it with anime/manga)
Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!
Sep 29, 2019 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Mainstream in new anime terms is niche in overall entertainment terms, so I don't mind
Sep 29, 2019 5:18 AM

Aug 2010
Yeah, that fake feeling of achivement when something you like becomes popular so at first you are happy, but after that you realize you only felt happy about it because you were part of a minority, and that your special right is now gone, so you come to hate the whole thing.

That's human nature for you, but good thing is, you can get used to it.
Sep 29, 2019 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
No, because i identify myself as a common person who likes something i like.
Sep 30, 2019 12:01 AM

Jan 2010
Superns18 said:
I know, I know. "It's good for the author, studio, series etc" but it always annoys me when a series I find when it's niche becomes something huge and mainstream, like KNY. I remember writing on the Gurenge music video back in Feb that it would be AOTY and everyone laughed it off "bro, what about Mob psycho!" "SNK pt 2!" etc etc, then episode 19 hits, subreddit blows up to 45k, MAL discussion posts have hundreds of posts about it and it's all over twitter.

I could be the only one who finds issue with it, just seeing if there's others out there.

That's very stupid imo.

In opposite, I'm very very grateful if my favorite show become so popular. Not only it will make it more likely that the studio will make more contents be it movies, OVA, spin-off, it will also bring upon official merchandise to feast on, not to mention an active, productive and lively fandom. A ton of fanworks.

The benefit is amazing dude. Idk why you have an issue with it tbh.

EDIT:
Real recent example I experienced myself,

Kanata no Astra
I just recently finished it and thought it was great. But anyone barely watched it, no fanarts, no fanfics, nothing. THIS is sad man. As much as I like it, it'd soon be forgotten.
If only it's more mainstream, I would have enjoyed it much longer. More people to talk to, etc.
CrimsonMidnightSep 30, 2019 2:29 AM
Sep 30, 2019 12:06 AM
Sep 2018
i thought this was only me that thought this and not other people, yes i do but recently with demon slayer i did hate it at 1st but i like kinda don't now and i still haven't watched it
Sep 30, 2019 12:10 AM

Mar 2018
people should like what they like without people yelling at them about how "you can't like this because i've liked it longer!!". never understood it. you should be excited when other people find a thing you like. means more seasons, more merch, more insightful discussion.
Sep 30, 2019 12:15 AM

May 2009
I don't like to base my opinion on whether something is popular, but if something is popular it can become hard to avoid spoilers and annoying memes about it, so I sometimes end up ignoring stuff when it's popular.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 30, 2019 12:34 AM

Aug 2015
Nah. To be completely honest I don't give a flying fuck about it.

If something that I like becomes popular, I will have way more people to talk about it, and I can make friends as well. I will never understand that hipster mentality that "I hate it because everyone love it". I really like to talk about One Piece, or Berserk, or how crazy Jojo can get, and so on.

(Not really an anime example) but a good case will be when Monster Hunter World became popular. I played a lot of hours on 3ds, and now I can play 5 hours straight with my best friend while talking, and that's really cool in my opinion.
Sep 30, 2019 12:45 AM

Jan 2018
I didn't even know that the anime was actually demon slayer that everyone's been hyping about until I started watching Kimetsu no Yaiba and really enjoyed it. So no, if it's popular then it must be because of how easy or fun to watch it for most people. I think it's better than what dragon ball aims to be but I've already grown out of it so I didn't watch dragonball super to compare.

Hate is quite a strong word though. Animation to create cool anime fights and to add a good heartwarming story that's not boring. Just wow.
Sep 30, 2019 12:48 AM
Jan 2019
Don’t worry there’s still plenty of people who will say it’s not AOTY. Myself included. If anything the popularity will bring more people saying negative things. I still feel the same sometimes though. If houseki no kuni and beck were as popular as demon slayer I’d probably have the same reaction as you
Sep 30, 2019 12:49 AM
Jul 2019
ass long as it doesn't affect the quality itself, it's fine. just ignore how "main stream" it is and you'll be fine.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 30, 2019 1:00 AM

May 2018
I will self quote myself because this is a really frequent occasion lately.
alshu said:
Oh no, yet another "Lets try to rise the hype for Kimetsu no Yaiba with meaningless topics!" topic.

On topic.
In those rare cases when something that I liked beforehand suddenly becomes popular I am not bummed because "mainstream is bad by default" or something.
I hate this situation just because people are liking it for all the wrong reasons.
alshuSep 30, 2019 1:13 AM
Sep 30, 2019 1:11 AM
Jul 2019
Superns18 said:

Popularity has never been an issue for me. It's what happens once they hit mainstream that bothers me. They end up surrounded by toxicity, bad fandoms and lose the niche status. Once they do series have a tendency to become watered down or worse just so they can stay in the mainstream.

And trying to stay mainstream is almost never a good idea.
Sep 30, 2019 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
Not with anime, but more with manga (anime adaptations). I get salty for about 10 minutes, but then I don't care anymore. This actually happened with KnY for me.
Sep 30, 2019 1:28 AM

Oct 2018
To be honest, I actually like when it happens.
Sep 30, 2019 1:31 AM

Nov 2018
Yeah! It's kinda bothers me.Anime those I like, I start somewhat dislike them so I decided to ignore them.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 30, 2019 1:31 AM

Oct 2010
I just don't care. In fact, I would be happy if stuff like blue gender or noein became popular over night, those anime are very good, way better than kimetsu no edgy.
Sep 30, 2019 1:38 AM

Mar 2014
Catalano said:
I just don't care. In fact, I would be happy if stuff like blue gender or noein became popular over night, those anime are very good, way better than kimetsu no edgy.

Calm down there, this isn't a thread made to bash or talk about the quality of KnY but how animes (like KnY) go from being niche to mainstream.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Sep 30, 2019 1:40 AM

Apr 2013
No because I don't want to be one of those, "I liked it before it was cool" people. In fact, there's some positives that come from a series blowing up:

It supports the author(s)
It supports the longevity of the series
It supports more fanart, doujinshi, etc.

Sure, it's no longer going to be some elitist/hipster series anymore, but who honestly cares that someone liked something before it was cool. The more people you can talk to about something you like is better in my opinion.
Sep 30, 2019 1:41 AM

Jul 2019
Not really. I like some mainstream anime and also not so mainstream anime. As long as the anime is good I will enjoy.
Sep 30, 2019 1:56 AM

Apr 2017
I don't think that I have ever experienced that. In general I find it better when stuff I like is popular since then there is plenty of content related to the series available and I can get merchandise or just enjoy the series for a longer time because of more seasons, spin-offs, etc. If anything I always find it sad if people don't appreciate series that I think is great and deserves more recognition.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 30, 2019 3:06 AM

Jul 2019
I'm new to the anime and manga community (in fact, my account on MAL is my only connection to the community) so I haven't experienced it in regards to anime/manga. BUT, I do get annoyed with main streaming things mainly because of the attitude in the new fans. For instance, Game of Thrones. Before GoT a lot of people around me were a bit condescending of me liking fantasy. After GoT the same people talked a lot about it and almost ecstaticly explained to me why I should watch it and how great it is with fantasy. I don't want it to bother me, but it does.
Sep 30, 2019 3:07 AM

Feb 2019
operationvalkyri said:
That's quite common hipster mentality. I've been guilty of it a time or two.

At least I'm not alone.

GlowingAura said:
No, honestly I'd love if anime I enjoyed was popular since I'd have more people to talk to about it. It really depends on the fanbase, like I wouldn't want to be surrounded by BnHA fanbase 2.0 if you know what I mean

yea, that's probably what it is more than anything. I just don't want it memes to death

MrZawa said:
I don't think that I have ever experienced that. In general I find it better when stuff I like is popular since then there is plenty of content related to the series available and I can get merchandise or just enjoy the series for a longer time because of more seasons, spin-offs, etc. If anything I always find it sad if people don't appreciate series that I think is great and deserves more recognition.

I often find myself feeling both, I kinda like it to stay in the middle of not too popular but not too obscure

TheHentaiKing said:
No because I don't want to be one of those, "I liked it before it was cool" people. In fact, there's some positives that come from a series blowing up:

It supports the author(s)
It supports the longevity of the series
It supports more fanart, doujinshi, etc.

Sure, it's no longer going to be some elitist/hipster series anymore, but who honestly cares that someone liked something before it was cool. The more people you can talk to about something you like is better in my opinion.

glad that you enjoy it

HueyLion said:
Catalano said:

Calm down there, this isn't a thread made to bash or talk about the quality of KnY but how animes (like KnY) go from being niche to mainstream.

thank you for that.

-Aincrad- said:
To be honest, I actually like when it happens.

profile pic checks out lol, jk

Gythia said:
Not with anime, but more with manga (anime adaptations). I get salty for about 10 minutes, but then I don't care anymore. This actually happened with KnY for me.

I also agree with this for the LN's, but none of my LN interests tend to blow up when they get adapted

GatesOfOblivion said:
Superns18 said:

Popularity has never been an issue for me. It's what happens once they hit mainstream that bothers me. They end up surrounded by toxicity, bad fandoms and lose the niche status. Once they do series have a tendency to become watered down or worse just so they can stay in the mainstream.

And trying to stay mainstream is almost never a good idea.

I just hate when a series gets memed to death you know

Thanjh said:
Don’t worry there’s still plenty of people who will say it’s not AOTY. Myself included. If anything the popularity will bring more people saying negative things. I still feel the same sometimes though. If houseki no kuni and beck were as popular as demon slayer I’d probably have the same reaction as you

What's your AOTY? Also cool, It seems I'm not crazy then lol

beargolfer said:
people should like what they like without people yelling at them about how "you can't like this because i've liked it longer!!". never understood it. you should be excited when other people find a thing you like. means more seasons, more merch, more insightful discussion.

not me. I don't want a ton of posts about it or memes, low effort screenshots etc. It's cool for Merch tho, I want some T Shirts.

Shicchi said:
Superns18 said:

That's very stupid imo.

In opposite, I'm very very grateful if my favorite show become so popular. Not only it will make it more likely that the studio will make more contents be it movies, OVA, spin-off, it will also bring upon official merchandise to feast on, not to mention an active, productive and lively fandom. A ton of fanworks.

EDIT:

Kanata no Astra
I just recently finished it and thought it was great. But anyone barely watched it, no fanarts, no fanfics, nothing. THIS is sad man. As much as I like it, it'd soon be forgotten.
If only it's more mainstream, I would have enjoyed it much longer. More people to talk to, etc.

Your reply was stupid IMO.

oryouohagi said:
Yeah, that fake feeling of achivement when something you like becomes popular so at first you are happy, but after that you realize you only felt happy about it because you were part of a minority, and that your special right is now gone, so you come to hate the whole thing.

That's human nature for you, but good thing is, you can get used to it.

that's literally it, hit the nail
Sep 30, 2019 7:32 AM

Feb 2010
No, I'm not petty like that. When I enjoy something I enjoy it because of what it is, not because it makes me feel like a hipster. If anything I'm happy because popularity makes it more likely to see more seasons, to see more of something I love.

I mean it's not like I don't know the feeling tho. I was a huge The Walking Dead fan years before the TV Series was conceived and I had an Attack on Titan shirt before it was adapted into an anime and it can be slightly annoying when everyone thinks you're just another part of the hype train when in fact you knew how good something was years before the rest of the world found out about it. Not to mention that it can be frustrating when you want to talk about the comic and everyone just knows the shitty TV series which is written completely differently.

So yeah, it can be a bit annoying for your ego if you know that other people's perception of your being a fan will change because something got popular and now you're not the 'cool guy with the relatively obscure favorites' but just another random guy on the current hypetrain to them, even if you know better and it doesn't really make any difference. But I will never be any less enthusiastic about the actual show just because of that. And I'm intelligent and reflected enough to know that it's an irrational, stupid and borderline toxic feeling to have in the first place, so I suppress it and don't pay it too much attention. I would certainly not make a whole thread dedicated to it because that's kinda cringey.

In any case, it happens basically all the time so I'm used to it by now and don't get hung up on it at all. Until recently nobody knew Dororo which was one of my favorite manga for years which anyone I recommended it to would ignore. Or Banana Fish or Vinland Saga, two more of my favorite manga that suddenly everyone knows and loves. Even in live-action recent years saw adaptions of Dirk Gently, Good Omens, American Gods, Preacher and so on, all based on books or comics I've been a fan of for years which now have stopped being niche or semi-obscure. Even goddamn Umbrella Academy got turned into a TV Series.

My taste is just so impeccable that sooner or later everything I love will blow up because the rest of the world, despite lagging behind a bit, will eventually recognize its greatness. And I guess I try to see the positive about it instead of being irrationally salty like OP. Maybe I should work as an editor or something along those lines to turn my skill of finding hugely popular stuff when its still relatively obscure into money :>.

Also in what world was Kimetsu no Yaiba ever a niche anime? It's a freaking battle shounen WSJ adaption, those are always big, huge even. I knew it would be one of the biggest shows of the year it aired before they even announced it would get an adaption, that's how predictable it was. It was only a question of time. If you want to be protective about some hipster manga you love, I recommend not picking extremely mainstream and successful WSJ titles because I promise you those will always blow up eventually. They are literally the biggest thing in the industry.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 30, 2019 7:34 AM

Jan 2015
who says this mass produces generic shounen is aoty LOL? not even close to AOT, and never will be
Sep 30, 2019 7:39 AM
Feb 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba is AOTY!
Have you watched Kimetsu no Yaiba yet? It’s so good!
Stop hating on Kimetsu no Yaiba!
How high will the score get for Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Best shounen ever?!? Kimetsu no Yaiba!
Kimetsu no Yaiba Kimetsu no Yaiba!

This is why I start hating shows. It’s fine if the show is popular and good, but if it starts to be shoved down everyone’s throats it becomes a nuisance and it starts to just be downright annoying. Ex: every series discussion thread in the past week.

And no, it’s not AOTY. I don’t even have to finish it to know that. It’s still good though.
Sep 30, 2019 7:45 AM

Oct 2010
It can be exhausting. But hating it? Heck, I wish a lot of my favourites blew up in popularity like some others do. More visibility, more content, more discussion. This is always good regardless of a few toxic individuals being obnoxious in every fandom.
Sep 30, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
My taste is just so impeccable that sooner or later everything I love will blow up because the rest of the world, despite lagging behind a bit, will eventually recognize its greatness.

I don't know if you're being serious or if this is tongue-in-cheek, but it made me smile.

OP: After reading everyone's thesis, I feel like I should do some introspection on why I find it annoying, too. It likely stems from my being a geek, which means that when I like something, I will go deep into it. I will know its history; why it was developed, how, and by whom; what are its themes and messages; its flaws: etc. When a fandom is small, most other fans of that thing are likely geeks also. It's a joy arguing about discussing that thing with fellow fans.

When something becomes mainstream, most fans are casual. When I want to discuss it, the geek in me will dissect all aspects, which is almost impossible to do with a casual. This happens to me almost every time I discuss marvel movies with "normal" people. I'm telling them why act 3 of endgame doesn't work and they're looking at me like I'm crazy. In that environment, it's difficult to look through the haystack to find another geeky needle.THAT is what frustrates me.

I don't mind other people liking what I like as long as I have people to geek out with. Being surrounded by casual fans and not being able to express myself leads to resentment. That resentment is silly and as long as I realise the silliness of my feelings, it's OK.
Sep 30, 2019 8:25 AM

Jun 2016
I've seen how annoying the more "mainstream" anime communities like instagram or reddit can be so I just avoid them and stick with my close friends and 4chan's /a/ and so my rare and obscure anime remains as niche as ever for me.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 30, 2019 8:32 AM

Aug 2011
I love when an anime gets really popular and becomes mainstream. Especially when it's an anime I really like, I want as many people to see it and enjoy it as possible, rather than keeping it to myself. I'm also happy for the staff/studio/creator that something they worked so hard on has achieved success. And every time a new series becomes really popular and mainstream, there's a good chance it will bring in a lot of new fans to anime as a whole, which I see as a good thing. I can't really think of any downsides.

Most importantly, I'm free to keep enjoying the anime in question the same way I always have. Its new popularity doesn't negatively affect me, and it positively affects others, so there's no reason to be upset about it.
Sep 30, 2019 8:40 AM

May 2009
In the rare cases wherein I like something before it becomes super-popular, it's just a fun feeling to know that I was one of the early adopters.

That said I can sometimes disagree with how other people enjoy a thing, and so I may opine that they're enjoying it wrong. But that usually depends on how they're enjoying/hyping/memeing/etc. the thing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 30, 2019 8:45 AM

Nov 2008
Only if I don't like it. xD Naruto's a good example.

Sep 30, 2019 9:01 AM

Sep 2019
BlakexEkalb said:

This is why I start hating shows. It’s fine if the show is popular and good, but if it starts to be shoved down everyone’s throats it becomes a nuisance and it starts to just be downright annoying. Ex: every series discussion thread in the past week.

And no, it’s not AOTY. I don’t even have to finish it to know that. It’s still good though.
These things are usual for fans to say for their favorites. It's not like that they are putting a red link on ur screen to kimetsu no yaiba etc. Sometimes they are annoying due to overhype but it will be present for a liked anime. You don't want kimetsu no yaiba fans say that our favorite anime is aoty?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 30, 2019 9:28 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah I don't like it either really, but I also wouldn't disagree with someone calling me a hipster so eh

Sep 30, 2019 9:32 AM
May 2018
No really, but I do hate when their fans starts to get annoying.
Sep 30, 2019 9:33 AM
Feb 2019
Honestly, if Kimetsu no Yaiba became mainstream more for the fact that it's a good show and not just because of one 5 minutes scene, I would like the popularity, but the fact everyone only talks about episode 19 dissappoints me.
Sep 30, 2019 9:37 AM

Jun 2014
I just which that MAL would create a rule forbidding people from creating threads simply called "HYPE."

Sep 30, 2019 9:41 AM

Jan 2016
I'm happy when something I like becomes popular,

then more people know about it and enjoy it and I can get excited about it with other people.
Sep 30, 2019 9:48 AM

Aug 2018
Shicchi said:
Superns18 said:

That's very stupid imo.

EDIT:

Kanata no Astra

Right on the money with this!
*Gives golden medal*
Sep 30, 2019 9:54 AM

Jan 2017
On a grand scheme of things, you finding any show "niche" means nothing. If a series becomes mainstream it only does favour to its fans. Only thing I hate is shitty AMV spams on every discussion hubs. And I dare say, every AMV out there for every anime sucks donkey balls.
Sep 30, 2019 10:09 AM

Jul 2013
What I hate are anime hipster who think a show getting the recognition it deserves is a bad thing. You ask stupid questions and you're a stupid person
Sep 30, 2019 11:13 AM
Feb 2017
Peeti said:
BlakexEkalb said:

These things are usual for fans to say for their favorites. It's not like that they are putting a red link on ur screen to kimetsu no yaiba etc. Sometimes they are annoying due to overhype but it will be present for a liked anime. You don't want kimetsu no yaiba fans say that our favorite anime is aoty?

Like I said, I don’t care if they think it’s AOTY or love it, but if they are constantly 24/7 making threads and talking about the show it starts to be annoying. You don’t see me only posting and talking about MOB II even though I think it’s anime of the year. Not even the MOB II hype when it was airing was as extreme as KnY with every other thread being a topic about the show.
Sep 30, 2019 12:02 PM

Mar 2019
Nah not really as with KNY it blew up and so did the manga so the anime did its duty, I understand where you're coming from when this happens
Sep 30, 2019 12:05 PM

Sep 2018
Absolutely not. If I really love a show, then my greatest hope is that it becomes highly watched and "mainstream" so that other people can experience the show as well.

However, I will admit it's annoying when people with ridiculous opinions (like extreme shounen junkies) comment on a more niche show like 3-gatsu no lion and say that "there isn't enough action."
Blanks.
Sep 30, 2019 1:36 PM

Oct 2017
I'm with you OP. People were always bound to flood this thread with bs about hipsterism. Ironically, I think it's those people being the hipsters. Being frustrated when your niche little cozy group is suddenly flooded with newcomers is perfectly reasonable, natural human reaction. But people like to think they're special and above that so they talk themselves up so as to look a certain way.

Smaller, more niche fandoms are more cozy and tend to be much nicer too. The more people invade a space, the more toxic and divided the people in that space become. This is apparent in how life is like in a city compared to the countryside.

edelgord said:
i identify myself as a common person

One of the most depressing things I've ever read. I love the how the "I" isn't capitalized. That's some grade A symbolism.

Like damn dude, you don't have to think you're special in a way that's better than anyone else, but don't you want to be a unique individual? Actaully wanting, consciously, to be part of the herd is just staggeringly sad.
YossaRedMageSep 30, 2019 1:41 PM
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 30, 2019 2:25 PM

Dec 2012
No, that's a rather petty and immature child-mentality if you ask me. I like when things I care about succeed, but I don't really care about whether its popular. I'd like it either way.
KruszerSep 30, 2019 3:09 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 30, 2019 2:31 PM

Sep 2018
No, because this generally means that the anime is probably going to be good. Gets me excited. I only watch seasonal anime when the entire series is finished.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many MAL users defend loli hentai?

EverRealm - 1 minute ago

0 by EverRealm »»
1 minute ago

» If MAL didn't exist

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

21 by Admin_ice »»
3 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

58 by Lucifrost »»
7 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 57 minutes ago

5 by Rhae »»
13 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

109 by APolygons2 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.