Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you think has top tier world building?

New
Sep 3, 2019 1:33 PM

Mar 2019
Curious to what you guys think? I randomly have been thinking about Shinsekai Yori today, and I think that its world building is pretty good. What other anime do you all think can be placed in the top tier in regards to world building?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2019 1:35 PM
May 2019
It's Probably going to be one piece considering how long it has been running.
XstasySep 3, 2019 1:44 PM
Sep 3, 2019 1:41 PM
Aug 2018
made in abyss, I guess — although I'm not sure if I'm using the term "world building" correctly. Also most ghibli films: notably princess mononoke
Sep 3, 2019 1:43 PM

Jul 2016
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. No matter how crazy a new world building detail might be, they always manage to sell it. I mean, Champloo takes place in feudal japan, but they have an episode about two teens fighting a gang war with graffiti, and they sell it perfectly.
Sep 3, 2019 1:44 PM

Dec 2018
I'm currently watching Juuni Kokuki and the world building is pretty impressive for now
Sep 3, 2019 1:47 PM

Oct 2018
I'll be honest, in not really sure what people mean by world building

Of course it's probably what it means, but still
Sep 3, 2019 1:50 PM

Jul 2017
not tokyo ghoul at least that's for sure
Sep 3, 2019 1:56 PM

Aug 2017
Toaru franchise.

3 seasons + 3 spin-off and more seasons and spin-off to be animated.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 3, 2019 1:59 PM

Sep 2014
Juuni Kokuki, IMO. It's especially apparent when you compare it to other 'sent to another world' anime. It's an amazing show. Too bad that even with 50 episodes it felt it could do so much more. Fuck the industry of incomplete adaptations.
Sep 3, 2019 2:03 PM

Mar 2018
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

Sep 3, 2019 2:22 PM

Jun 2019
Any sci-fi or high fantasy that is set in either a completely fictional world with hitherto non-existent countries or planets or an alternate history/universe version of Earth where lore about family lines and dynasties, polities, technology, etc. has to be constructed and kept straight. Over a longer series, all the moreso.

Something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes would be a contender.

Also, although on a smaller scale due to series length, the worldbuilding and how it managed to foster an atmosphere that didn't resemble any other show is what initially attracted me to Haibane Renmei (on the fantasy side).
Sep 3, 2019 2:33 PM

Jan 2019
-Aincrad- said:
I'll be honest, in not really sure what people mean by world building

Of course it's probably what it means, but still

You are correct, in a sense, but it encompasses not just the physical characteristics of the world in which the characters live but the history of it, geography of it and how it's represented as more than just a place the characters live.

Made In Abyss I think is a great example, because the Abyss itself is as much a part of the story as the characters.
Sep 3, 2019 2:51 PM

Apr 2019
im only on episode 67 and the loguetown arc really made the world building in one piece amazing
Sep 3, 2019 2:54 PM

Aug 2016
Made in Abyss, Last Exile, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Shinsekai Yori come into mind.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 3, 2019 3:04 PM

Mar 2019
This probably isn't what people would normally think of as "worldbuilding" but actually, Higurashi. I loved the setting of Higurashi, it was absolutely perfect.

I also really liked how Kingdom brought Ancient China to life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2019 6:52 PM

Jun 2015
FAIRYTAIL altho its failed potential
Hunter X Hunter
to a much lesser degree MHA
Sep 3, 2019 7:00 PM
Jun 2015
Hunter X Hunter and Legend of Galactic Heroes
Sep 3, 2019 7:04 PM
Mar 2016
One Piece because of it's length and variety.
Each island is very different from the next and the world-building feels smooth
Sep 3, 2019 7:06 PM

Mar 2016
The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Hunter x Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist (both versions), and Psycho Pass.
Sep 3, 2019 7:12 PM

Aug 2016
The first who came to my mind is Rewrite.
Sep 3, 2019 7:19 PM

Jul 2017
Akira and AOT

longevity isnt everything but how everything in that world intersects and how important aspects of that world affect the characters are what makes good world building imo.
Sep 3, 2019 7:23 PM

Jan 2016
Made in Abyss to me. Especially for its short run time, there's a lot to learn about the way the abyss is and also the people that live near it. And having read the manga, that continues to be the case. And that desire to learn more about the abyss is what draws both us and the characters further down, even as we know the danger that lies ahead.

Also No game No Life. Yes, I'm serious, especially reading the Light Novels. The further you go in the series, the more you realize what this world of games that was formed from an endless war really is and how all the different races have adapted and thrived in that world. Maybe "top tier" is overselling it a bit, but it's still pretty holistic and engaging, and at the very least unique.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Sep 3, 2019 7:27 PM

Feb 2019
So Ra No Wo To world-building is Top notch, There's a constant sense of mystery about the story's world.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Sep 3, 2019 7:35 PM

Apr 2017
Juuni Kokuki
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Higurashi no Naku koro ni
Mushishi
Seirei no Moribito
Shinsekai Yori
Shiki
Shingeki no Kyojin
Youjo Senki

Sep 3, 2019 8:06 PM

Dec 2016
Fullmetal A. B., Hunter x Hunter, and Shinsekai Yori, though I wasn't convinced with the latter.

Also the Saint Seiya series is great, but in the manga. The anime versions don't fully adapt and build its huge and fascinating mythological universe.
Sep 4, 2019 1:40 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
No1 is talking about ''Overlord'' though. Check Light Novels.
Sep 4, 2019 1:54 PM
May 2017
Nasuverse (Fate Kara no kyoukai Tsukihime ) and Toaru
Sep 4, 2019 2:07 PM
Jul 2019
i think neon genesis evangelion the most constructed and complex work i have ever seen
Sep 4, 2019 2:34 PM

Dec 2018
Yugao_ said:
I'm currently watching Juuni Kokuki and the world building is pretty impressive for now

I absolutely love that show, too bad that it isn't any longer than 45 episodes. Well, theres a novel tho.

And to answer OP; I'd say One Piece, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and i'm pretty into Gundam atm so i'd say that aswell.
Sep 4, 2019 2:48 PM
Fantasy lover

Aug 2017
Kekkai Sensen has one of the best worlds ive seen. Re:Zero and Overlord are also extremly good
Sep 4, 2019 3:37 PM

Dec 2018
Snusgossen said:
Yugao_ said:

I absolutely love that show, too bad that it isn't any longer than 45 episodes. Well, theres a novel tho.

Ye that's a great show, I feel that my screen is a Shoku and every episode I am totally transported lol
I saw that the novel is not finished yet, is it worth to read it after the anime ? You can pm me to not pollute this thread
Sep 4, 2019 4:16 PM
Sep 4, 2019 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
I liked the sci-fi settings in Kiddy Grade a lot, same for Read or Die, mixing real world with scifi.

As for fantasy, I liked the world of Princess Yushi because it is based on Princess Maker games.
Agree on Haibane Renmei too.

Regarding modern settings, the world of Ojamajo Doremi is very detailed. You get to know 30+ characters for 4 real years. Every episode corresponds to 1-2 real weeks and you see the characters starting in 6th grade in elementary school and finishing middle school by the end of the anime. In over 200 episodes. You feel as if you are part of the school, the characters and their families and the class. Have not seen any other anime going to such detail. No wonder many children in Japan grew with the characters in reality too.

Sep 4, 2019 5:01 PM

Apr 2018
Definitely re:zero for me

andersonguildbz said:
i think neon genesis evangelion the most constructed and complex work i have ever seen

Isn't nge set on earth? It barely has a world building.
Sep 4, 2019 5:03 PM

Feb 2010
There's a bunch of different ways in which worldbuilding can impress me. Mainly either by the world that is presented being very original and creative and unique or by how the world is introduced. With tons of subcategories like whether the world is presented in its entirety, as being socially and politically connected (Naruto or OP for example) or bit by bit, feeling like a never-ending exploration of a world where you never get to the point where you feel you 'know' the world in its entirety, but it keeps coming up with exciting new stuff (HxH for example). There's tons of shows that do a great job at introducing cool worlds, tying them together (or not), but worlds that feel truly unique and inspired, rather than being intriguing because of how they piece together ideas that have already been around for a long time, are very rare so I want to give a shoutout to some shows in that category.

Made in Abyss is one of my favorites in that regard, there isn't a thing in the show that feels like it's borrowed from other fantasy settings and it's really difficult to find shows like that. But Shinsekai Yori or Kaiba are also pretty great in a more sci-fi kind of way. Heck, even something like Dennou Coil deserves a mention here.

Kemono no Souja Erin and Juuni Kokuki are also up there. Sure, they use some classic fantasy stuff but it doesn't fill its world with orcs or goblins or dwarfs or elves or other establishes races, but come up with their own kind of fantasy that seems to spring directly from the imagination of their creators, rather than relying on established material from the genre. I can't really disagree with Aria either.

What also impresses me tho are episodic shows that just never seem to run out of inspiration, that always come up with cool, interesting, new inhabitants to their worlds, even if that world at its basics isn't very different from ours. Natsume Yuujinchou and especially Mushishi come to mind here. In that sense the worldbuilding is less about the setting and more about how you populate it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 4, 2019 5:12 PM
Nov 2016
Why can’t you guys just say it’s One piece because obviously it’s the correct answer
Sep 4, 2019 5:24 PM

Mar 2015
I'd have to go with One Piece. I think that's one of it's strongest aspects.

It's like you can see/imagine the entire world without even going there. The way oda has built upon everything makes it seem like he's had it all planned out from the beginning. Its introduced everything perfectly and at the right times.
I wish I had the words to go in depth about this. I'm sure you'll understand though if you watch it all.
woah there
Sep 4, 2019 5:47 PM

Sep 2017
From what I've seen :
- Shingeki no Kyojin : they explain a lot of various elements. There's also maps, geography in general, lifestyle but it's mainly focused on the army and the main cities
- Made in Abyss : the best one. In just 13 episodes, the anime succeeds to create a whole fascinating universe, very well done and structured. And it still beholds a lot of mysteries !
- One Piece : of course, it's the most obvious one.
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
- Shinsekai Yori
- Naruto (but has serious flaws)
- Gintama (slightly less well done however)
- Psycho Pass
- Ghibli movies in general
- Durarara
- Code Geass

And in a less obvious way :
- 3-gatsu no Lion
- Barakamon

I also think it's even more admirable for short animes to have great world building. Because, if done more or less right, any long running anime have a great world building (except for Bleach, which totally ignored what world building is despite its 366 episodes)

The thing is, to give at least the impression of a nice world building, I'd say an anime must show the same places frequently
I ain't talking about a school, because that's way too easy, but shops, forests, roads, neighbouroods, characters houses : recurring places that give you the feeling you're, step by step, accustoming to this world and know well some places.
When, in a episode, some place is mentionned or visited, you can tell "oh, I know this place, x thing happened here before, that's the place where x and x go often", things like that
Sep 4, 2019 5:48 PM

Oct 2008
Haibane Renmei
Hakumei to Mikochi
Made in abyss
Girls last tour
Hunter x Hunter
Sep 4, 2019 6:03 PM

Apr 2016
The first I think are Made in Abyss, HxH and Berserk.
Sep 5, 2019 2:14 AM

Sep 2018
The only great ones that create a big world are:
- Berserk (medieval fantasy with historiclly authentic stuff, good interesting view on religion, different countrys with different cultures and the "fairy" part of fantasy is mixed very well in it)
- LOTGH (by far best political world building, every nation has a different goverment system thats explained in a good way, different cultures)
- Ghost in the shell (great cyberpunk world,interesting and well explored in how maschines can affect our future)
- Made in Abyss (mysterious and fascinating, need to read the manga to get more opinions out)

Almost every other bigger world ive seen anime create is pretty shit.

Some more simple worlds that are still gud: (there are more on this one than in the one above)

Neon genesis Shinji is crying (good involvment of countries that are not Japan,clear political views that are actually explored)
3-gatsu no lion (well its slice of live but we got a great view on Shogi and it showed more than only the Shogi part)
Kiseijuu (parasites invading some shit,plotics from both sides is good, the reaction of the human side is nicu)

Yea Anime is not the best genre in fiction at building worlds :/

-Mullerio-Sep 5, 2019 2:46 AM
Sep 5, 2019 2:55 AM

Mar 2015
avdx101 said:
Ghost in the shell franchise, Psycho-pass for a futuristic world; Mushi-shi, Seirei no moribito for a fantasy setting.
Edit: Even Naruto has an interesting world, but their consistency with the tech is out the window.

The futuristic world in psycho pass is silly and uncreative.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 5, 2019 8:23 AM

Aug 2018
Made in abyss comes to mind, with its super investable world and how in such a short amount of time they make you care about it
Sep 5, 2019 8:27 AM
Dec 2018
I think Its Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood.
World building is Impressive in FMAB
Sep 5, 2019 10:27 AM

Sep 2012
One piece, Hunter x Hunter, the Fate series, and the slime anime are all anime I think of when I think top-tier world building.

The first 3 because of the time spent, and last one because that's basically all it did was give world building. Either way, they all intensely focused on world building.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 5, 2019 10:41 AM

Jul 2013
The Nasuverse in general. There's so much attention to detail in the worldbuilding. The many timelines themselves play around the world and how one thing affects the other. It's extremely detailed and rich in lore.

Made in Abyss, currently watching this one and I just have to give it a shout out even though I haven't finished it yet because it just feels so original and you immediately get invested in the world even though the series is pretty short.

Shinsekai Yori. One of my favorites when it comes to worldbuilding. It starts off really slow building the premise and rules of the world before going political towards the end. It's one of the best in its kind.

Log Horizon. Trapped in a game or RPGs aren't very original concepts but LH does it right. Too well actually that I was honestly surprised when I first watched this show because it just flowed so smoothly to me as a MMORPG player myself. The world is very detailed and they expound on the game's mechanics really well with a touch of economics and politics. It's a very word-heavy show and not exactly recommended for people looking for action but if you're interested in watching a world unfold itself, then LH is a good choice.
Sep 5, 2019 10:50 AM
Apr 2019
Attack on Titan,
A world ruled by titan power isn’t an easy to set up but Isayama made all most every aspects that make sense.

Also FMAB,

And from the posts above here I'm more interested in Made in Abyss now (it has been in my watchlist for 1 month)
Sep 5, 2019 10:59 AM

Nov 2011
vhagar8 said:

andersonguildbz said:

Stuff like angels, what they are, where are they come from, what is AT field, LCL, Central Dogma, Lance of Longinus, Nerv, Seele and others are the evidences that NGE has a complex world building. Area is not that important in world building.
Shinsekai yori only explored one town but it's world history is equal or better than NGE (Cantus, Fiends, Karma Demon, Attack Inhibition, Death Feedback, etc); Made in Abyss is only about one (gigantic) cave.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 5, 2019 11:34 AM

Apr 2018
Jim_Heart said:
vhagar8 said:

Stuff like angels, what they are, where are they come from, what is AT field, LCL, Central Dogma, Lance of Longinus, Nerv, Seele and others are the evidences that NGE has a complex world building. Area is not that important in world building.
Shinsekai yori only explored one town but it's world history is equal or better than NGE (Cantus, Fiends, Karma Demon, Attack Inhibition, Death Feedback, etc); Made in Abyss is only about one (gigantic) cave.
Adding a couple of features to our existing world doesn't seem that complex to me, especially if u compare that to stories that build their new world from scratch. I do acknowledge nge has some degree of world building, but it doesn't seem that much to me.
Sep 5, 2019 11:37 AM
Sep 2019
Aesthetically: One Piece - he comes up with some pretty crazy and strange visuals that only he can come up with, each island is vastly different then the last
-Other Fine Examples: Soul Eater, Ergo Proxy

Dramatically: Naruto - a vast amount of characters, each character encompassing a different piece of history & fueled by their own tragedy resulting from some form of world building oppression or injustice
-Other Fine Examples: Fullmetal Alchemist, Overlord

Conceptually: Psycho Pass - the entire world is built off a very fascinating idea
-Other Fine Examples: Gantz, Deadman Wonderland

All of the Above: Ghost in the Shell - spectacle, high concepts, dramatic world building. the world building is amazing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

3 by Timeline_man »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

19 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 29 minutes ago

7 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

36 by bucciest »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.