Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2019 5:59 AM

Jun 2019
I've seen very polarising opinions on Shaft productions over the years, regarding specially their peculiar artistic expression. Some think Shaft is one of the few studios out there actually creative about their art style, because of their incorporation of vivid colors, patterns and real world imagery. Others think this is all style over substance: it may look different, but they lack quality in animation and script. What are your thoughts about Shaft?

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2019 6:03 AM

Sep 2014
I like it. I like their style. It's cool and unique.

And as much as it is different, it's understandable some might not like it. It's when they start 'hurr durr this artstyle is pretentious' that I cringe hard. Choosing another visual style does not need justification, there is no theme or other non-visual requirements to go that route. Heard this shit being said about 3-gatsu and Monogatari before and I can't handle the idiocy.
Jun 28, 2019 6:15 AM

Oct 2013
Good studio
but always when i watch they're works I feel dizzy
Jun 28, 2019 6:15 AM

Aug 2017
I love it, my second favourite studio. Its style is pretty unique and they polish really well every series they do.
Jun 28, 2019 6:16 AM

May 2018
Love what they did and how they adapt Monogatari.
Jun 28, 2019 6:16 AM

Jun 2014
I haven't watched anything made by Shaft, as most of their works don't look interesting to me.

"Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger" is the only Shaft work that I would like to watch.

Jun 28, 2019 6:22 AM

Apr 2013
I like them, one of my top 3 studios. Their artstyle is always very unique and recognizable. The Monogatari series is of course their masterpiece with Nisekoi and Negima also being good adaptions.
Jun 28, 2019 6:23 AM

Feb 2016
I like them for their Nishioishin works, specially monogatari. Now if we talk about that abomination called Fate/Extra that's a complete different story. Sometimes certain style simply doesn't look good on another anime.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 28, 2019 6:40 AM

Apr 2017
I'm a huge fan of Shaft. I really enjoy their unique style of directing and art. I don't care if it's style over substance or not, I don't think it really matters as long as the end result is good. And in my experience so far I enjoyed every single show by Shaft that I have seen. That's something that no other studio achieved. I would go as far as to say that they are my favorite studio, in no small part exactly because of their unique approach.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jun 28, 2019 6:44 AM

Feb 2019
One of my favorite studios, I love their distinct and unique Art Style & Their visual storytelling is unrivaled.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 28, 2019 6:46 AM
Jun 2019
.....................................................#animesgreat
Jun 28, 2019 6:48 AM

Apr 2013
Only care about em for Madoka Magica and Hidamari Sketch. Otherwise it's good to see that they have good enough skills as an animation studio to adapt the Gatari franchise and get a lot of clout from it.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 28, 2019 6:50 AM

Feb 2015
I think they did a good job on 3-gatsu no Lion. Would've wanted to see their take on Honey and Clover if they managed to do a remake of the show, since their signature style can match its tone.
Jun 28, 2019 6:54 AM
Nov 2018
I absolutely love their works, Madoka Magica and 3-gatsu are masterpieces, Monogatari is also great. However, their style is specific and can easily go over the top (which is visible in their older works). Nevertheless, they are unique and one of the few studios that can handle really specific, abstract, weird source materials
Edit: but the also can be great in terms of narration, so it's not only the style
Jun 28, 2019 7:04 AM

Jun 2019
I like them, and I think they do a good job on their anime.
No anime is non-canon. Non-canon is canon, but on a different world line.
Jun 28, 2019 7:07 AM

Apr 2015
Generally could track record, and even their most garbage of works is a fun train-wreck to watch. They just ooze with style and are a master at adapting things.
Jun 28, 2019 7:12 AM

Dec 2016
Not really a fan of Monogatari series, but I gotta recognize that aesthetically speaking it's quite unique, in a good way. Very impressive. You can tell these guys are really passionate in what they do.
Jun 28, 2019 7:31 AM

May 2018
I like some of their stuff like - Natsu no Arashi!, Hidamari Sketch, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, Arakawa Under the Bridge, Bakemonogatari (only this season), Madoka★Magica (only the TV) and the Mahou Sensei Negima OVAs but not everything from them and nothing recent.
Jun 28, 2019 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
I've only seen 3-gatsu from them, and it blew me away. I have zero complaints about its animation or script.

Jun 28, 2019 7:34 AM

Nov 2014
Great director, glad in theory because a studio is doing things in a more experimental way and is having success, but a little disappointed not all the stories in the animes are actually more common place in anime. For example, Monogatari is still an ecchi harem, despite having all the weird visuals.

Their best titles i've seen:

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2. Arakawa under the bridge
3. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
4. Hidamari Sketch
5. Sangatsu no Lion

But i don't mind to see more, so if someone can recomend some show by the studio i still need to watch, please tell me.
Jun 28, 2019 7:38 AM

Oct 2018
Their studio should of been called Shift instead based on the animation style.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 28, 2019 7:40 AM

Mar 2015
Best camera work (can you call it that? lol close enough) in anime, no contest.
Jun 28, 2019 7:47 AM

Feb 2019
God bless Shaft and the use of tilt heads. I'm also thankful for that masterpiece called 3-Gatsu no Lion.
Jun 28, 2019 7:49 AM

Dec 2015
They made Monogatari. How could I hate the studio that made Monogatari?
Jun 28, 2019 9:57 AM

May 2009
I can dig it.

For reference: https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/44/Shaft

individual series comments:

*monogatari franchise: Between its feeling a little strange or at least not my thing (probably aesthetically, though the fact that it's about yet some more Japanese schoolchildren is another thing I'm not very interested in), its reputation for strange fanservice, and its production of memes, I find myself largely uninterested in this. I know many people like it a lot, but so far it's on my "don't bother with this" list.

Madoka Magica - I've already wasted too much time on the internet complaining about why I think this show sucks, with complete awareness that a lot of people disagree with me on it. As for the distinctive artsiness that Shaft is apparently known for...I don't know how much it factors into this, but I did feel that the papercut-style presentation of the labyrinths actually detracted somewhat from the immersion, compared to the scenes in more "realistic" locations. The character art was meh to me, not particularly good nor bad.

Nisekoi: The art is...nice? Blond-hair girl for some reason made me think she's from Aikatsu for a little while. Also she shows up in Mario Maker? Other than that I have no opinion.

Arakawa Under the Bridge: I tried this and was not interested.

Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei: I tried this and think it's decently okay.

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl: This is on my PTW solely because the title sounds very interesting.

ef: a Tale of [whatever]: PTW

Rec: I'm vaguely interested since it's about show biz.

Hidamari Sketch: this seems like the "I'll probably like this less" version of Sketchbook, where Sketchbook is about iyashikei this seems like it'll focus more on comedy.

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World: PTW

Mahoromatic: vaguely possibly of interest since I have watched such series as Time of Eve and Beatless and really liked them. However, it's very "cartoony" (in the sense of looking lighthearted and comedic -- it literally says comedy/ecchi/romance) and that suggests I won't be interested. (Compare the gravitas with which Time of Eve and Beatless treat their subject matter.)

Cyborg 009: PTW

Sou: Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka?-hen
New My Tear CL Series
these are two product advertisements that use characters/scenes from the movie Uchiage Hanabi, also known as Fireworks. I might watch the movie at some point, because it seems decent (albeit not something I'm jumping on), but the two commercials aren't anything worth writing home for. (And the lady's animation in the yogurt commercial feels stilted anyway. But the song is nice I suppose.)

Other stuff I've heard of but haven't put on my radar: Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Negima, Kino no Tabi, Maria Holic, Fate/whatever, Arcade Gamer Fubuki

overall comments

It seems a lot of what Shaft has done is comedy, which really limits how much I'm interested in them. Anime comedy isn't usually a go-to genre for me. Nor is stuff set in modern-day Japan, which a lot of their stuff seems to be. They have a few random things on my PTW, but their arguably two most famous franchises are things I don't really care to see more of (*monogatari and MadoMagi).

Also I dislike head tilts. They're like, yes, they're style, but I tried doing it myself and it feels very unnatural, so while it's probably not something I'd actually really notice heavily in context, as a concept I don't really like it.
GlennMagusHarveyJun 28, 2019 10:30 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 28, 2019 9:59 AM

Feb 2019
I personally really like Shaft's whole shtick, it makes me one happy artsy dude. 3-gatsu and Madoka are two masterpieces. 3-gatsu in particular makes great use of Shaft's unique visual storytelling. I'm watching Monogatari now, but so far I don't think it's as well done as the other two I mentioned, but even then it's really pretty. On the other hand, I dropped Fireworks because of its atrocious use of CGI.
Jun 28, 2019 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
SHAFT is pretty good. I thought Sangatsu S1 was good, Sangatsu S2 was great, Madoka was good, and Natsu no Arashi was good.

I disliked Bakemonogatari though I think I would not have liked it even if it were produced by another studio. Still, SHAFT's style in Bakemonogatari didn't sit well with me, along with the other problems I had with the series.
Jun 28, 2019 10:31 AM

Jun 2019
I like shaft they made madoka magica and monogatari series and I enjoy them.
Jun 28, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2016
Aside from Madoka and Ef a tale of memories... a really self indulgent studio.
Jun 28, 2019 10:57 AM

Sep 2008
one of the two remaining studios that give a shit about how their art looks. so yeah I value them.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 28, 2019 11:10 AM

Apr 2017
My favourite studio

really low change of someone seeing this

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jun 28, 2019 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
They have that style that people associate with Shaft because of Akiyuki Shinbo.
Have you seen the anime they made before Shinbo started working there?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 28, 2019 11:25 AM

Nov 2014
@GlennMagusHarvey Dear God, please, i warn you, do not watch This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. It blows so hard it could take down the Empire State Building. It sucks so hard it could turn the Atlantic Ocean into a desert and all the water appear in the Pacific Ocean.
Jun 28, 2019 11:27 AM
Oct 2017
Cabron said:
They have that style that people associate with Shaft because of Akiyuki Shinbo.

shinbo hasnt directed an anime in a decade
Jun 28, 2019 11:27 AM

Jul 2016
I don't like their works all that much usually, but they are different.

Jun 28, 2019 11:31 AM

Jan 2013
bitchassdarius said:
Cabron said:

There's 3-gatsu no lion from 2016. It's second season just wrapped up last year.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 28, 2019 11:34 AM
Oct 2017
Cabron said:
bitchassdarius said:

There's 3-gatsu no lion from 2016. It's second season just wrapped up last year.

he didn't direct that, that was naoyuki asano

edit: sorry, the director was actually kenjiro okada
bitchassdariusJun 28, 2019 11:37 AM
Jun 28, 2019 11:40 AM

Jun 2019
They are a fine studio unlike A1 pictures.
Jun 28, 2019 12:05 PM

May 2009
BlancaXLobo said:
@GlennMagusHarvey Dear God, please, i warn you, do not watch This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. It blows so hard it could take down the Empire State Building. It sucks so hard it could turn the Atlantic Ocean into a desert and all the water appear in the Pacific Ocean.
This being anime, and me being a Floridian, you're just encouraging me. :P

(Actually, I forget why I added it to my PTW in the first place. I probably either heard the theme song somewhere or had some story element mentioned to me and thought it sounded nice.)
Jun 28, 2019 12:09 PM

Nov 2007
They cannot make 6/10 to 8/10 anime. Their shows are either 9+/10 or 5-/10.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 28, 2019 12:12 PM

Nov 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
BlancaXLobo said:

(Actually, I forget why I added it to my PTW in the first place. I probably either heard the theme song somewhere or had some story element mentioned to me and thought it sounded nice.)

Oh, so you too has blackouts and when you woke up you "mysteriously" added 500 animes to your PTW? Been there man, more times than i like to admit. Also, what is a Florodian? I don't get the reference.

And i perfectly understand the "Everyone tell me this anime is so awful that i need to atch it just to see how bad it really is". That''s how i ended up watching Mars of Destruction. And Eiken. And Abunai Sisters. And Master of Martial Hearts. And Ice: The Last Generation. And Hanoka. And Angel Sanctuary. And Honey x Hony Drops.
Jun 28, 2019 12:21 PM

May 2009
BlancaXLobo said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Oh, so you too has blackouts and when you woke up you "mysteriously" added 500 animes to your PTW? Been there man, more times than i like to admit. Also, what is a Florodian? I don't get the reference.

And i perfectly understand the "Everyone tell me this anime is so awful that i need to atch it just to see how bad it really is". That''s how i ended up watching Mars of Destruction. And Eiken. And Abunai Sisters. And Master of Martial Hearts. And Ice: The Last Generation. And Hanoka. And Angel Sanctuary. And Honey x Hony Drops.
Hahaha, well, I sometimes do add things that I run into in "odd" ways -- for example, sometimes anime theme song quizzes cause me to add shows to my PTW because I like the snippets of their theme songs that I hear, and sometimes I watch some random AMVs and like what I'm seeing and I figure out what I'm looking at and add that to my PTW.

Floridian = person from Florida, a state in the United States. "Florida is weird" and "Florida Man does [weird thing]" have been memes for a while.

Also Mars of Destruction is literally only like 20 minutes long so it's actually rather easy to watch.
Jun 28, 2019 2:45 PM

Oct 2008
I loved "ef:A Tale of Melodies", "3-gatsu no Lion", Negima!?, Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

And I liked the "Monogatari series"

So studio Shaft is 7/10 in my books.
Jun 28, 2019 3:34 PM

Jun 2016
Everybody adores Shaft, but I honestly just can't get into their shows

I like that they have their own unique style that lets you immediately recognize that a show is done by them, but they just adapt things that I don't have a huge interest in
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jun 28, 2019 3:42 PM

Jun 2017
It's the best studio if people understand that Shinbou hasn't done their new shows
Jun 28, 2019 3:46 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I still consider Madoka to be my favourite anime but other than that I honestly barely like anything from Shaft. According to Malgraph, they're my 143rd studio out of 180 by weighted score, so that's... pretty bad

I think it's mostly that they tend to have so much random "artistical elements" that don't really do anything productive. They're just there to look pretty. It's so much style over substance to me. I wish they'd focus more on the basics and the important stuff rather than to just try to be flashy and hipster all the time because I'm not flamboyant enough to be won over quite that easily

At least they're not as over-the-top as Ikuhara anime tends to be. Now that's the epitome of random bullshit under the pretense of being "symbolic". Give me a break already
Jun 28, 2019 3:50 PM

Jan 2009
fans of them have to realize is that this is the guy that made that so called "Shaft Style" https://myanimelist.net/people/5089/Akiyuki_Shinbou and i remember reading that he is not even a regular employee of Shaft
Jun 29, 2019 12:45 PM

Aug 2018
I like their art and I love most of their works (in particular Madoka & Sangatsu no Lion).
Jun 29, 2019 1:05 PM
Jan 2017
I love their style, especially in 3-gatsu no Lion and the Monogatari Series. Probably my favorite studio.
Jun 29, 2019 1:20 PM

May 2015
It's one of my favourite studios, if not the favourite. Very creative and gorgeous visuals, that style can easily make any show more interesting to watch. But if the source material is really good too, that's when all the magic happens, the best example of it would be 3-gatsu no lion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

56 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

58 by bucciest »»
3 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

15 by bucciest »»
17 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

47 by Pinoffin »»
18 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Today

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.