Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 29, 2019 9:12 PM
Jan 2015
_Aqua_Sama_ said:
As other ppl have already pointed out, the first arc was rushed.

I think the first arc was somewhat of an introduction.
And unlike other arcs we already had anime for the first arc so whatever.
Also I have to agree - this show is not really what you want to watch once in a week. Probably I will need to rewatch it now since some interconnections do get missed with slow watching pace.
Mar 29, 2019 9:25 PM

Feb 2013
Good show. Definitely some things that could have been better, but I still enjoyed it overall. 7/10
Mar 29, 2019 10:38 PM

Jun 2015
i actually really enjoyed the show, compared to everyone else it seems. i really wasn't enjoying the beginning, but the last arc and this one really made up for it and just clicked with me all of a sudden.
Mar 29, 2019 11:02 PM

Apr 2016
Overdrive would've been impactful if they adapted the first arc properly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2019 12:32 AM

May 2015
Confusion...indecision...distortion...things get jumbled when you aren't sure of yourself...

Boogiepop Phantom 2019...Not as atmospheric as I expected compared to Boogiepop 2000 when it came to the art and sound direction. Still pretty interesting though as it delves into the psychological problems of people. Art and animation are pretty average overall. The one issue I have with the series is its characters. It is not that the characters are bad, but they can be rather forgettable, and this works against the anime since you need to remember them through each arc to understand how certain characters feel when these past characters are mentioned. Then again, I remember having the same problem with 2000, but once I put the pieces together, it was actually a lot better than I expected. I do like that Boogiepop makes more appearances in this series than she did in 2000. The arcs are pretty good overall although some of them can feel lackluster with how they conclude. It's an interesting mystery series, but not really an overly impressive one for me. I wonder if it will continue. Until then...

Final Verdict: Thought Bubbles/10
TarotistMar 30, 2019 12:37 AM
Mar 30, 2019 1:16 AM

Jan 2018
Meh, I liked the original anime more even if this was more faithful. The animation was still incredibly patchy and it didn't come close to matching the originals atmosphere.

The OST was really good tho
What a beautiful Duwang
Mar 30, 2019 2:45 AM

Mar 2019
I feel binging the whole series would of been better, characters from the first arc popping up at the end here just confused me and I'm sure a lot of what was tied together at the end I missed. Enjoyed the third arc the most, what happened to Nagi in the end? I understand her in the third part was in the past and I can't remember what happened to her previously lol

Enjoyed a lot of the show and disliked a lot as well 7/10 in the end for me.
Mar 30, 2019 3:27 AM
Jan 2017
nah,, i dont really understand the main point of this anime,, its telling abut the people say about future human evolution in towa group or whatever,, and why boogiepop is born and where come from idon know,, but in this anime i can see that boogiepop just a reaper for world treath,, all the anime is too serious for me ,, its hard to focus and understand in every episode,,
the ending that boogiepop identity was known by her friend,,
nah
6/10
Mar 30, 2019 4:08 AM

Jan 2013
It's incredibly sad that people still don't know what animation is, and that they judge it by watching still frames.

If someone asks me why most of the anime today are isekai shit with bad CGI animations I'll definely link them this thread.
Mar 30, 2019 6:20 AM

Sep 2016
This was actually a really good final episode imo. Its too bad i didnt like the rest of the show and didnt care for any of the characters (except boogiepop themself who was somewhat interesting)

meh/10
Mar 30, 2019 7:25 AM

Aug 2013
Easily AOTS.
9/10. Didn't expect it at all.

Btw. I can understand why many people didn't like the story and direction, but I will never understand why some people are hating on animation quality.
I mean there is shitton of garbage cheap 3DCG in other series and almost no one is pointing it out, but some idiots (because I'm unable to find lighter word to describe them) are posting inbetween frames and calling animation bad. What the actual fuck.
rsc-plMar 30, 2019 7:34 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 30, 2019 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
Well, it was a pretentious pile of convoluted crap right through. At least the art and music were nice.
Mar 30, 2019 4:36 PM

Nov 2015
I'm surprised the score is so low, honestly. It requires a bit more brain power to watch, but it was well directed. It left me genuinely confused at the start of each arc, as a mystery should. Type of show I'd have to rewatch to fully appreciate. People who are claiming it's boring are missing the point of it.

Kudos. I can see why this is so heavily praised in the light novel community.
Mar 30, 2019 4:53 PM

Sep 2012
It was interesting. I'm sure it'll get even better as the story goes on, but it's unlikely we'll get another season.

Characters are really poorly handled, though. I don't remember a story that handled their exposition this badly. It might be a faulty adaptation.
Mar 30, 2019 7:01 PM

Feb 2016
papsoshea said:
Mfw I realized I wasted my time with this show

The end. 4/10

The ending was not worth the grind! I feel ya bro.

Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 30, 2019 8:17 PM

Dec 2018
i still dont know why i was watching after all, guess i will never know.
Mar 30, 2019 11:33 PM

Jan 2015
Most of the previous episodes of this series that brought its former arcs to a close were relatively satisfying, to me... This finale however, was anything but. It fell entirely flat for me, as I was almost completely uninvested in it. Plus, it felt rather abrupt, and seemed to be focusing on too many characters at once. Apart from this finale episode though, I mostly enjoyed the series.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Mar 31, 2019 2:30 AM

Dec 2017
Swizze said:
I feel binging the whole series would of been better, characters from the first arc popping up at the end here just confused me and I'm sure a lot of what was tied together at the end I missed. Enjoyed the third arc the most, what happened to Nagi in the end? I understand her in the third part was in the past and I can't remember what happened to her previously lol

Enjoyed a lot of the show and disliked a lot as well 7/10 in the end for me.
It would. There's a reason why the third arc about Nagi (episode 10-13) became the most favorable. Now I wonder, if only all the arcs were released collectively like that, I'm sure it would be better appreciated.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 31, 2019 4:28 AM
Mar 2019
Honestly, this anime isn't for everyone, those that are giving it a low score probally aren't into this type of genre. For me, from episode 2 and so on I was really invested into this anime. It was interesting and Boogiepop is a really mysterious and wise character. The characters for me were recognizable, as in the names were but sometimes had difficulties with the faces as some have same hairstyles. But other than that, it was good. For those complaining about the lack of action, Boogiepop wasn't supposed to be a action anime in the first place. It's rather psychological & supernatural. The point lies in what Boogiepop says almost as if he is talking to us, the audience. The OSTs are amazing, I always appreciate a anime that has fitting OSTs for it. The OP and ED are aswell really catchy! Ive been listening to it eversince the anime had aired. I started reading the first LN and I can say they have skipped a lot of it which is the only downside to it. Its a shame because we get some information about Boogiepop & Miyashita, that is left out in the anime. I wish more animes like these were made, it seems as if there's barely psychological animes nowadays because of the dominant isekai genre :/ Oh well.. Hope there is a second season! Such a shame the rest of the LNs weren't translated. Would've loved to read them all.
Mar 31, 2019 8:56 AM
Jan 2019
I liked the anime. I think the charm was in the mystery and suspense that I had, and if you combine that with the paranormal, much better.
Actually, I'm not satisfied with the end. He has left many loose ends. I hope this is not the end of the story and that the mystery is not always in that. I still want to know more, above all, about the origin of the entity "Boogiepop" and the "Towa Organization".
If I should mention that it was what I loved most about this final episode, I would say it was his OST. Very good for the end.
Well, it's a remake, so I'm looking forward to a new season.
Mar 31, 2019 1:23 PM

Apr 2016
I guess I watched it mainly because of the character design and their animation. Some of the dialogs weren't my cup of tea, the characters first world's problems either, the overall tone either, the sometimes forced voice-acting either. We had few "archs" but no conclusion. I don't know how much content their's in the novel but I feel like we got only the half of the content picked up randomly.

I wish I would get this kind of art in stories better suited to my (shit ;) ) taste.

Episode 10 : best episode. So good, it could have been a stand alone. I wish the rest of the series would have had the same "down to earth" vibe.
Apr 1, 2019 3:55 AM
Jul 2009
Shotttooo00_0000 said:
So teratsuki knew that at least one person entering the moon temple would become the king of distortion that's how he collaborated.

All in all the philosophical human aspects this covered are a real eye opener, such a great story.

Kensuke Ushio : What type of beat should I use for the OST?
Me : Yes.

Also, did the show cover the entire light novel or are there more content, will we get season 2?

There is easily enough content for a season 2, but that in no ways has anything to do with whether or not we get one.

In fact, they cut an entire book out that comes before the King of Distortion Arc. However, this was a good thing on the whole, as King of Distortion is a much better way to end the season given that it brings closure to the first arc. Also the cut Arc, Pandora, focuses more on introducing new characters, so it would actually be an ideal way to start season 2 if we get one.

What anime only viewers loose by not having seen Pandora first is Habara actually gets introduced as a minor character in Pandora, so he's not a new character in King of Distortion. Also you'd know who Eugene is. I actually think this is a better introduction to Eugene than meeting him first in Pandora. On the other hand, they cut a lot of character development for Habara, mostly due to time constraints, but I think also in part because we didn't have as much context for him, having not met him before.

If you want to know some of the important scenes they cut for him in King of Distortion,
XerainApr 1, 2019 4:02 AM
Apr 1, 2019 12:15 PM

Nov 2018
7.5 I guess. This last arc was kinda underwhelming but I did like the previous two. And the 1st was one was okay as well.

Xerain said:
If you want to know some of the important scenes they cut for him in King of Distortion,

That's such a waste.
OrangeCloudsApr 1, 2019 12:20 PM
Apr 2, 2019 6:32 AM
Feb 2016
I’m glad i watched this show. Not a masterpiece but not that bad and quite enjoyable. Aoi Yuuki really did a great job on her voice acting. I’m starting to love her so much!
Apr 3, 2019 8:38 AM

May 2009
Unlike others I really liked the storytelling for the first 3 episodes. Imaginator arc was horrible, King of Distortion was okay. Overall 6/10
Apr 3, 2019 11:39 AM

Jan 2018
I have a question. Can some one tell me why the OP and trailer had showed scenes which didn't came true? Perhaps it's beacause they are from the novel only, and weren't adapted here?

I have to admit, i wasn't expecting first episodes being so complex and i was that close to dropping it. The fact that the first arc is an non linear story that "spooked" so many away. For me the best arc is the Fear Ghoul (ep10-13).
Apr 4, 2019 1:58 AM

Mar 2009
Certainly a divisive anime. Nature of the beast. To be perfectly honest, I only liked two of the arcs: the first and the third. Imaginator and King of Distortion unfortunately had my attention span waning. Maybe worth a binge watch one day to see if my opinion changes on those arcs. And to be even more honest, I had trouble following along with the cast of characters. There were so many, and some of them just didn't stand out enough, character design-wise.

What's fascinating about Boogiepop Phantom, though, is how it was basically a window to the past - once upon a time, there were quite a few sci-fi series like this one. If it's true what people said about Boogiepop Phantom being responsible for the light novel boom, what's bizarre about that is it somehow led to modern day light novels about the MC wanting to have sex with his little sister, or isekai #5000. How did that happen, really? It's like a game of telephone where down the years the original nature was distorted and changed. In short, Boogiepop Phantom is absolutely nothing like modern light novels. Pretty fascinating.

All that aside, I loved Boogiepop herself, in part because of Aoi Yuuki's performance. Such a talented seiyuu.

Wouldn't mind more of Boogiepop Phantom. As I said, it being a window to the past sure is an interesting aspect of the series.
Apr 5, 2019 5:03 AM

Dec 2015
I really liked the mystery that surrounded this show, and the fact that it was psychological to point that I thought it was symbolically dealing with some mental disorders. Though I thought the last arc was okay, didn't like it that much. Favorite arc was the fear ghoul arc.
Apr 6, 2019 10:05 AM

Jul 2008
And Boogiepop wins the day.

Overall 6/10.
Apr 9, 2019 7:20 AM
Mar 2017
When I watched the first episode I was literally confused and was planning to dropped it but then the next episodes cleared up everything and I was more interested on watching it. I like the mystery happening to there world and every arc for me was amazing.

The story was kind a similar to monogatari series so I guess the author is the same?

Another season would be nice.

8/10
Apr 10, 2019 12:19 AM
Apr 2012
JaoIn1080p said:
When I watched the first episode I was literally confused and was planning to dropped it but then the next episodes cleared up everything and I was more interested on watching it. I like the mystery happening to there world and every arc for me was amazing.

The story was kind a similar to monogatari series so I guess the author is the same?

8/10

Not the same author but the monogatari author got inspired by the boogiepop novels.
Apr 12, 2019 4:00 AM
Mar 2017
Little_Nai said:
JaoIn1080p said:

8/10

Not the same author but the monogatari author got inspired by the boogiepop novels.

thanks for that info m8
Apr 13, 2019 6:13 AM

Mar 2008
I had a feeling early on the King of Distortion has good intentions although maybe not the best way of approaching them. I don't in any way agree with the mindset that you can only help others if you help yourself first. While that may be quite true if someone's problems interferes with their ability to help others properly due to their distorted view of what help is or if it unreasonably harms themselves but that doesn't mean it's true for every other case. Everyone is going to have some problems appear throughout their life so if this were taken to heart by all then everyone would go through all their life only thinking of themselves.

I liked the show and would enjoy another season since it's pretty relaxed of a watch. Still feel down it didn't have anything like the awesome creepy vibe the 2000 series. Something similar could have made this better. I feel I need to rewatch to better understand events since there was a lot to take in all the time.
Apr 13, 2019 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
I think I wasted my time with this series and would have enjoyed better rewatching the older Boogiepop Phantom, preferably in a HD remaster.
Older series had much more tension and felt like a well constructed psychological thriller. Add also the dark atmosphere and colors and the perfect blend of various mixtures of music and sfx. Much better character drama too. OP and ED are still considered some of the best.
I hardly could count scenes where events unfolded during day.

Newer series does a better job introducing the world of the novels to a wider audience since Boogiepop Phantom covered only 1-2 novels. Arc 1 and 3 were good but arc 1 here felt rushed and it was handled in Phantom too with more details. So only Arc 3 makes the series worth watching, giving more details on Boogiepop and Kirima Nagi's background.

While series had a lot of dialog and it makes it a difficult watch requiring focus, it was easier to watch than the jigsaw narrative of Phantom.

Also in Phantom I could feel the tension, fear and agony whenever Boogiepop appeared. Here his presence hardly made an impact and all this talking turned out annoying after a certain point.

I think series is poorly directed to be as good as Phantom for a thriller. Despite having more blood and gore, the actual direction made the result less tense.

But I think it deserves to watch at least once. Personally I'd never rewatch it and would pursue to rewatch Phantom or read the novels and manga instead.

Apr 14, 2019 6:45 AM
Apr 2016
Damn, a really dramatic ending. Well, this anime is really memorable, & had a great art & animation. Good.
Apr 14, 2019 7:16 AM

Dec 2018
Escaethorne said:
Well, it was a pretentious pile of convoluted crap right through. At least the art and music were nice.

Yeah, people saying it's super deep are misguided. Maybe compared to isekai or harem crap that's everywhere. Being convoluted, having a large cast of characters with few discernable differences, and having a rushed introduction to those characters with long spaces between then and the next time we see them, plus vague pseudo-philosophical mumbo jumbo does not equal deep. Lots of potential, but it felt kinda pretentious and poorly done.
Apr 25, 2019 4:58 PM

Mar 2010
Dat OST tho *ok hand*
Apr 29, 2019 8:49 PM

Feb 2014
wtf did I just watch. So random and empty.
I find it funny seeing some people basically saying the anime is good or whatever because "im the man with a gold brain so that's why I was able to watch and like this anime and you not"

lol Ok. You're the man for enjoying this kind of show ╮(╯_╰)╭

Anyway, this last arc was very boring. I don't feel like giving it a 6 anymore but a 5 =/
Ghoul's arc was the best arc, by the way.
TechOtakuApr 29, 2019 9:12 PM
May 4, 2019 11:35 AM

Nov 2017
It was really sad how this show never got going. A sloppy, crappy adaptation. I wasted my time unfortunately. Some good things but overall the director and production team really flunked.

The most amazing thing is the thought that they would have spent untold time making this when they could've had a sure winner and money maker in OPM2. Incredible, such a waste of time and resources.

Events were unclear, you couldn't tell any characters apart even Boogiepop. I don't know what the point of this show was. The 4-ep special about the King of Distortion or whatever fell flat.

Such a big fail, Madhouse. The subs were unintelligible for plot and the dubs likely didn't help much either. This must've been a really depressing project to work on.
May 6, 2019 5:31 AM

Sep 2016
The best try not to sleep challenge, also Boogiepoop's way of talking is a good try not to cringe challenge, I failed hard to both. Probably the most pointless show I have ever watched. This show is perfect for edgy 13 yr olds.

The only good things I got from this try hard is the op and ed.
May 9, 2019 2:03 PM

Apr 2009
Its aight. I liked the first arc. Didn't too much care for the Imaginator arc outside of Masaki/Aya and some moments. Liked Boogiepop at Dawn arc the most and the last arc was ok but almost felt like it was dragging to me. 7/10. Not bad, would like to see more. Nagi is the best.
Jun 25, 2019 5:14 AM

Apr 2015
A confused mess in dialogue terms but the plot under it is simpler than it looks. This show is basically a suite of rudimentarily interesting short stories dressed up with occasionally interesting ramblings about psychology and mind. Though it does hold a certain amount of depth as the author did put thought and care into those parts of dialogue, these kinds of pieces often devolve into a furious masturbation of the author's intellectual interests and unfortunately this did sometimes become one. Presentation wasn't optimal as well, shortcomings in direction, animation and sound keeping the show from maximising its fun parts. Still somewhat entertaining at parts though probably not to the extent that the author would have liked, 5/10
Jul 9, 2019 6:46 PM

Feb 2014
One of the most complex series Iv'e ever seen. I left this show halfway back after waiting for every episode was a pain. Glad that I binged it at the end. This show screams of distorted human reality.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 23, 2019 7:35 AM
Mar 2012
A mixed bag... took me long to watch between episodes. Binge might've helped but lost interest in some parts. Bland confusing designs, bad animation, but a few fight did up the quality, like Boogie vs zooragi was awesome. There's a number of core mc's, but not enough characterization to care much for them besides Boogie & Fire Witch (& her bro/fake Boogie, as he did try his best).
Loved the Scarecrow/Kirima arc, Manticore was fun if confusing for a starter, Imaginator/rose sensei was mostly ok, & Distortion was way too long tho the themes weren't bad.
Slightly roundabout dialogues, but Kei final accepted to resolve her feelings & give up her crush. Tho the idea about splitting a personality from internal distortion isn't well presented with Kei; it was better shown with Boogie/Touka and with the brown hair girl who's distortion was born out of her kindness. At times the thematic vagueness gets more lost after translation perhaps.
Sep 6, 2019 12:43 PM

Jan 2015
This arc was a bit boring. I enjoyed more the last 2.
6/10 overall
Sep 21, 2019 5:13 PM

Jan 2018
Well, that was a boring show, at least it wasn't as hard to understand as the first season
May 12, 2020 12:03 AM

Mar 2015
Tried too hard to be deep and psychological and failed in my opinion. There was too much talking and some scenes and cuts felt repetitive and overdone.
I Liked the first arc, the second arc dragged and felt meh, the third one was good, the last one was the worst and the least interesting, I watched the last 2 episodes at 2x speed.

Some people liked It and I respect that. But I didn't enjoy it.
5/10

Also:
1carus said:

Boogiepoop's way of talking is a good try not to cringe challenge,

Lol I'm glad someone mentioned this. Whenever boogiepop appeared with that annoying smug face I was like: oh man here we go again!
May 22, 2020 9:41 AM

Jan 2018
shame the first act was rushed, but otherwise it's a decent adaptation i guess. it got good with imaginator, but all the other arcs were pretty fun. phantom is light years better tho, i think it almost got to that level of goodness in the boogiepop at dawn arc. i need to read the rest of the light novels, only read up to the 3rd one.

8/10, animation sucks hard tho.
Jun 24, 2020 11:46 AM

May 2020
Conclusion doesn't very well at least they are not using godzilla reference on a last arc. It feels like you watching a whole genres in one. There are some gag part if you realized. In the end BoogiePop is a balancer of the world, not a Shinigami. Enjoyable show and last episode. I can feel this romantic drama in such a mystery content. I feel hurt by that last scene because it was really like me. I love her and she didn't even recognize me, it breaks my heart. 7/10 enjoyable show except godzilla part and still jumpy plot also rushing story.
Dec 26, 2021 5:52 PM

Jun 2010
The novel was more explicit about Niitoki's thoughts and how she resolved her "distortion". Although it involved that psychopath Saotome it really just amounted to having a boy like her* that she didn't like back; being on the other side of her rejection by Takeda gave her perspective.

*Saotome told her she had a beautiful look in her eyes and he was being sincere. He wasn't sane but in that moment he did actually love her.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2019

66 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 9, 11:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.