Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 27, 2018 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, a tense episode with competitive energy again.

However, the look on Haiji's face had me concerned a bitl. Wonder exactly what was giong through his head at the time. Meanwhile, it looks like the others were running their best with the crowd behind them.

Even the Jou brothers are giving 100% of their effort into this. I'm impressed.
Nov 27, 2018 9:07 AM

Nov 2007
Too in shocked that he reads manga all night?!

That guy seeing Otaku guy in him when he was rehabilitation.

Excitement in doing one thing.

The twins still broke their promise and told everyone about it.

Preparing foods according to everyone's nutrition... for 4 years!

Not letting main guy run... to get him see others' way to run.

Seeing others made main guy see something, and he cheered along with others, too. lol @ otaku guy when cheer, so cute (also that senpai guy rolling while cheering).

When main guy trying to explain he understood what senpai guy trying to say but still think impossible, he fell unconscious.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 27, 2018 10:31 AM

Jun 2013
Really impressed with this episode. wow.

I really looked forward to seeing what they will do in this episode because of last episode's events regarding Kakeru and I must say that they exceeded my expectations miles away. The scene when he saw from the side everyone running together and cheered them when he understood where he was wrong was a phenomenal scene, I actually got emotionally invested in it. Moreover, the music placement and the direction were just incredible. It's because of scenes like these that I would say I loved this show.

Seems like Ouji is going to try his best, I hope we will see him shine one day.

Haiji... Looking like the direction the show will take will be about him.
Nov 27, 2018 12:04 PM

Jun 2009
I wanna hug Ouji. Poor guy.

And poor Haiji. I hope it's not some nasty sickness and he just burned himself out with taking care of everyone and everything.
Nov 27, 2018 12:35 PM
Feb 2018
My god, what a rush of an episode. I was wondering also what Haiji was trying to say. Running isn't everything, even if you're the best, what it mattters is being helpful towards others, especially because this sport is all about caring about your team. Also, what a cliffhanger, did not expect it to end like that! I'm hyped for the next episode!
Nov 27, 2018 12:40 PM

Nov 2016
Absolutely great episode.

I'm so glad that everyone will probably change their mind regarding Kakeru being jerk, he was just blinded and came to realize that he went a bit too far.

The moment when everyone was cheering from the sidelines was truly epic xD

But as Kakeru said, they probably won't be able to make it this way. The others are doing fine, I'm looking at here. He bought the treadmill, ok, he's still not really trying, tho. At least I won't acknowledge half assed efforts, either you put all your heart into or let it be. Otherwise one shouldn't be surprised about the lacking results. This is the only thing I'm not really 100% fond of, but that's complaining on a very high level since it ultimately barely affects my enjoyment of this show. It tries to convey a different message and still does so many things right for me.

And oh boy, the drama hasn't ended yet.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 27, 2018 12:49 PM

Mar 2014
The cheering scene was great.

That ending though
Nov 27, 2018 12:50 PM
May 2018
I'm really worried about Haiji :( will the team loose his coach/cook/mum ???
Nov 27, 2018 1:02 PM

Mar 2010
hanba-ci said:
I'm really worried about Haiji :( will the team loose his coach/cook/mum ???

Maybe he is overworked?

I hope he will be ok soon :(
Nov 27, 2018 1:24 PM

Jan 2014
It showed Prince walking at a 12 km/h pace on the treadmill which is almost 7.5 m/h, this roughly comes out to a bit under a 25 minute 5k pace. Now granted that's not fast, it's not as if that's abysmally slow either, more like your typical 5k runner that runs every now and then for fun or to stay healthy rather than someone who's competitive. As a runner, it's small things like this that annoy me. He was actually walking at more like a 3.5 m/h pace, not over double.

Still though, I shouldn't expect everything to be accurate and I still very much enjoy the show. Looking forward to the next episode!
SabraelNov 27, 2018 1:34 PM
Nov 27, 2018 1:50 PM
Mar 2015
Sabrael said:
It showed Prince walking at a 12 km/h pace on the treadmill which is almost 7.5 m/h, this roughly comes out to a bit under a 25 minute 5k pace. Now granted that's not fast, it's not as if that's abysmally slow either, more like your typical 5k runner that runs every now and then for fun or to stay healthy rather than someone who's competitive. As a runner, it's small things like this that annoy me. At Absolute Most, he was actually walking at like 4 m/h pace, not nearly double.

Still though, I shouldn't expect everything to be accurate and I still very much enjoy the show. Looking forward to the next episode!

I get what you are saying, I'm training run every morning to a kind of test that the maximum point is made by reach 2800 metres in at least 12 minutes and I'm didn't reach that level yet. My brother run since a while and make something like 5 km in 28 minutes. Seeing a sedentary in anime reach that level in such a short time give me mixed of feelings, but I'm for sure inspired by this show
Nov 27, 2018 1:53 PM
Jan 2017
I need a friend like Haiji irl
Nov 27, 2018 2:27 PM

Aug 2017
It seems that Kakeru cares more about their teammates. The race was short but I like it. Haiji's spinning arm was hilarious. Also, Kakeru is such a tsundere lmao.

The last scene.....I think that he is just collapsing from exhaustion.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 27, 2018 2:49 PM

Feb 2017
This anime makes me miss running and rowing so much! Moments like seeing your friends cheering for you from the crowd is what makes doing sports special. I love how this anime manages to capture moments like these!

And God please, don't let Haiji have some serious illness. Maybe it's the reason why Haiji is so eager to run Hakone. Maybe he knows that he doesn't have much time to make his probably childhood dream a reality.
Nov 27, 2018 3:01 PM

Jul 2017
Not the rice !

This was a great episode. The OST worked wonders in emphasizing the emotions
Nov 27, 2018 3:04 PM
Apr 2016
Anyone know where I can find the manga or novel?
Nov 27, 2018 3:17 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I think, it really shows here that Haiji does this for everyone because he is just that emotional over running after getting his life-changing injury. He's essentially in the same position as those who are not named Kakeru and is reliving like he said.

The cheers were amazing and so uplifting to watch.

I think, deep down Prince still deals with the blow that Kakeru gave him, it didn't look like he was part of the team there, i think that will lead to a big moment or two.

Haiji collapsing is something i didn't see coming, it was just like that. I'm thinking that it is just exhaustion from all the work he did for the squad.
Nov 27, 2018 3:33 PM

Jan 2018
Waiting a week will be painful to see what happened to Haiji..
Nov 27, 2018 3:37 PM

Sep 2011
Yep, I can't like Kakeru, I tried. He is a self-centered jerk, and I don't like how everyone is so lenient with him. I'm not saying that they should be at each other's throat all the time, but letting him run his mouth with no regard for other teammates whatsoever when they are trying hard isn't ideal either.

He blamed it on the "heat" of the moment, but it was what he truly wanted to say so I don't see how this make it any better. Haiji got what he wanted though, Kakeru saw by himself that the others are giving their all when running, but he is such a contemptible fool that he can't even see that their effort is showing results, even when it's on paper with their new times, he just keeps saying that it's "impossible". I know that his former teammates, and especially his former coach are to blame for him not knowing how a team works, but can we say that he is even trying? Even during that last practice all that he was doing was to obsess over his times, let's see if he is going to change now, but I won't hold my breath.

I loved how the twins ended up telling everyone what happened, only to remember Haiji's request of not doing it after it was already done. lol But poor Haiji, whatever happened was so serious that he had to go through physiotherapy, and he isn't cured, he even collapsed! The preview didn't show a single shot with him on it either, and even though I know they are most certainly only playing with my feelings, I can't help but worry a bit.
Nov 27, 2018 3:50 PM

Apr 2018
This is getting better and better !
The more it goes, the more I like the characters. It feels like we're with them, supporting them with their "unreachable" goal.
Can't wait to see Kakeru's evolution.

Just one thing I noticed is about the animation quality. The faces were kinda weird sometimes in this episode, especially Kakeru and his eyes.
Nov 27, 2018 4:04 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

I'm glad Kakeru saw that he went too far, I like how instead of having someone beat the sense into him, all it took for him to realize the earnestness of his teammates was to just stop and watch them running.

Loved the cheering, Haiji's cheer cracked me up. XD
Gotta admit, that I was kinda cheering internally too. xD

It's interesting how Haiji is someone who's been both Kakeru and the rest of the team's shoes. On one hand, he was once a trained runner and on the other hand, he's had to take it up slowly from the very bottom after his injury.

I kinda saw Haiji's collapsing coming after that one shot where the camera blurred when Haiji looked at the stop watch. It's probably because of all the work he's been doing.

Looking forward to next week.
Nov 27, 2018 4:08 PM
Feb 2018
Thorf said:
Waiting a week will be painful to see what happened to Haiji..
There's always the manga, you know.
Nov 27, 2018 4:09 PM
Feb 2018
Fayrin said:
Yep, I can't like Kakeru, I tried. He is a self-centered jerk, and I don't like how everyone is so lenient with him. I'm not saying that they should be at each other's throat all the time, but letting him run his mouth with no regard for other teammates whatsoever when they are trying hard isn't ideal either.

He blamed it on the "heat" of the moment, but it was what he truly wanted to say so I don't see how this make it any better. Haiji got what he wanted though, Kakeru saw by himself that the others are giving their all when running, but he is such a contemptible fool that he can't even see that their effort is showing results, even when it's on paper with their new times, he just keeps saying that it's "impossible". I know that his former teammates, and especially his former coach are to blame for him not knowing how a team works, but can we say that he is even trying? Even during that last practice all that he was doing was to obsess over his times, let's see if he is going to change now, but I won't hold my breath.

I loved how the twins ended up telling everyone what happened, only to remember Haiji's request of not doing it after it was already done. lol But poor Haiji, whatever happened was so serious that he had to go through physiotherapy, and he isn't cured, he even collapsed! The preview didn't show a single shot with him on it either, and even though I know they are most certainly only playing with my feelings, I can't help but worry a bit.
Yeah, he's probably the less likeable of all them.
Nov 27, 2018 4:17 PM

Oct 2018
At least Kakeru isn't as much of a bitch anymore, real funny seeing him cheer on the team. Haiji though was amazing this episode, that is boy of the year material right there, especially his cheering.

Ending though, what the hell-

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Nov 27, 2018 4:19 PM

Aug 2014
haiji better not be DEAD.
Nov 27, 2018 4:20 PM

Aug 2015
I wasn't really looking forward to this episode but it touched my feelings in so many ways!

I'm so happy this anime is in the right track and hopefully it continues improving!! I do think that with all the Sports animes that exists that is a bit hard to do something a little bit different and excitiing but they are NAILING IT!

Waiting to see Kakeru's grown and hope that Haiji will recover, i want to see him running at full speed :D (grrr ONE MORE WEEEK)

Nov 27, 2018 5:12 PM

Oct 2015
Haiji's cheering was really passionate, while Prince's was Prince's.

I enjoyed this episode and I get what Haiji was trying to show Kakeru and I hope in time he will realize that. As for the collapse, I knew something was up when he checked that wrist watch. I really hope it isn't serious.

Great episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 27, 2018 5:29 PM

Nov 2018
I see a lot of foreshadowing for Haiji's death in the ED now.

(I never read the novel, so this is all my speculation.)

• Haiji looks like he's running towards heaven in the very last running segment of the ED.
• The low camera angle from behind, the clouds, and the sky's crescendo of brightness all set him up to appear running towards "the light".
• In the last shot of the ED with Nira, are those flowers morning glories? Morning glories symbolize mortality, don't they? They bloom and die in a single day, which is rather symbolic of someone dying young.
• Contrast that with the beginning shot of the ED. Next to a sleeping Nira, it's raining, and those same flowers are closed. The morning glories haven't bloomed yet. Haiji hasn't died yet, and for the rest of the montage, we see Haiji running through various seasons and locations.
• It's a shadow, not Haiji's physical body, that appears in front of Nira.

Ep. 9 just really triggered my feels and made me look at the ED in a whole different light. 😭
Nov 27, 2018 6:57 PM

Jan 2016
A great episode.

And that ending though.
Nov 27, 2018 6:59 PM

Jun 2014
Good episode.
But that ending was just a little over-dramatic.
Nov 27, 2018 7:10 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Haiji probably fainted from being tired, right? It'd make sense, given that he's the one taking care of everyone, but no one is taking care of him.

I didn't like the earlier episodes with Haiji being so pushy, but I think we really get to understand him in this episode, especially with the flashback to his struggles with physical therapy. This episode felt quite inspirational, as those who didn't run in the race, particularly Kakeru, realized how important it was to support the team members who were running. Sometimes a change of view really does bring in new perspectives and understanding. I loved the part where after Kakeru came into realization of why he was forced to stand back and watch, and then shocked at Nico-senpai, Gotou, and lol Haiji's cheering. I did cross country one year in middle school, and I definitely felt powered up near the end when all the spectators, people who I didn't know, were cheering the runners on.
Nov 27, 2018 7:16 PM

Jul 2016
I really liked this episode. It was a great one and although I didn't like Kakeru's attitude and what he said to Prince in the last ep. was too much, I really liked the way this problem was solved.

Haiji's decision of having Kakeru and co. in the competition as observers was nice. The scene where Kakeru got more perspective of his teammates' efforts was great and the OST was on point as well. And not to mention that the scene where they all were cheering was very emotive.

Haiji collapsing was a bit unexpected for me, being honest. I hope it was just because he had overworked during the last weeks. I liked him a lot during this episode so I hope he doesn't die.
Nov 27, 2018 7:25 PM

Jul 2017
That cliffhanger was intense. Great episode and probably my favorite of this series so far.
Nov 27, 2018 7:34 PM

Sep 2017
Oh man I thought Haiji's leg injury was a purely physical thing, but after that blurry vision and then passing out like that I'm not too sure. This opens a few more doors to possible tragic things. Well he was funny af flailing his arm around when cheering anyway.

Seems Kakeru will be back to his normal self after getting to see that his teammates aren't running half assed. He did have that issue with pushing himself too far, but I think he's realized his mistake. Guess we will see, but I'm guessing next episode will have a large focus on Haiji.
Nov 27, 2018 9:19 PM

Apr 2017
SouthRzVa said:
I really liked this episode. It was a great one and although I didn't like Kakeru's attitude and what he said to Prince in the last ep. was too much, I really liked the way this problem was solved.

Haiji's decision of having Kakeru and co. in the competition as observers was nice. The scene where Kakeru got more perspective of his teammates' efforts was great and the OST was on point as well. And not to mention that the scene where they all were cheering was very emotive.

Haiji collapsing was a bit unexpected for me, being honest. I hope it was just because he had overworked during the last weeks. I liked him a lot during this episode so I hope he doesn't die.

Kakeru's stubborn-rude attitude really fits for the episode, just so he could see that everyone's running wasn't half-assed. also Prince and Kakeru at the end get to relate a bit, was what made it even better!

If you weren't paying attention to when Haiji was checking his watch, he got a little drowsy, probably worked too hard for the team. He won't die since he is a main character and if he just died the show would get extremely boring without his quick and smart decision making also the team would just disband if Haiji died.
Nov 27, 2018 11:18 PM

Oct 2011
That bento!! That final lap cheering!! Yesssss! <3 Haiji is the kind of support I need in my life.
Hopefully he makes a swift recovery because the team needs their Haiji. Unless the leader being out of commission is the situation that brings the team together closer than ever, especially Kakeru. Kakeru's team spirit already looks to be improving!
Nov 28, 2018 12:03 AM

May 2016
Still gonna say this show is super underated :(

Haiji has overworked this past month hopefully it's not a sickness.
The cheering scene had me like crazy pumped.
Nov 28, 2018 1:17 AM

Feb 2018

This scene has really deep meaning. Haiji understands how struggle prince be to running because he felt it when he had injury on his knee.

But this scene is easily highlight of this episode. How much energy they spend to cheer their teammate.

I hope Haiji is just exhausted, nothing more
Nov 28, 2018 1:47 AM
Mar 2016
The only thing stopping this episode from being really good was the jarring contrast in the quality of the animation/drawing. It is to be expected, but sad nonetheless given one of the things that drew me in was Production's IG talents.
Nov 28, 2018 2:35 AM

Feb 2017
Smudy said:
Haiji collapsing is something i didn't see coming, it was just like that. I'm thinking that it is just exhaustion from all the work he did for the squad.

tingy said:
Haiji probably fainted from being tired, right? It'd make sense, given that he's the one taking care of everyone, but no one is taking care of him.

Unfortunately, I doubt it's from overworking. Usually when characters overwork, anime tries its best to show us how they are working hard. We know that Haiji has been working hard all this time but anime didn't put as much emphasis on it as other anime do when characters overwork. Also when characters show symptoms of overworking like blurry vision they usually look tired for a moment and then try to act like everything is all right and they are in fact not tired. But in Haiji's case he was surprised/scared by his blurry vision and he didn't seem tired at that moment. One more thing I noticed is that many (all?) characters had eyebags in this episode to indicate how much they've been training all this time except Haiji. His eyes were normal.

And the way he collapsed looked like he got a stroke. All this leads me to believe it's something more serious, like brain tumor or something.
Nov 28, 2018 3:15 AM

Mar 2016
When Haiji said he likes running with Ouji, and that flashback came, I got kind of emotional.

Ouji and Kakeru's cheers were so funny. Ouji looked like he wasn't even trying.

I am worried about Haiji, Kareru and the old man's healths.

The sweat flying everywhere was gross. Imagine being splashed with someone else's sweat!
Nov 28, 2018 3:38 AM
Aug 2016
Fayrin said:

Kakeru just was under the impression the guys in the team didn't take running seriously and were running with half-assed hearts. This is something he can't tolerate coz he is a genuinely competitive athlete and he realized he was wrong in this ep. He acknowledges their efforts now but isn't optimistic coz he is a pragmatic person and knows even if they get their official times they won't get good enough to qualify for the ekiden. Since he wants to qualify for Ekiden and fulfill his ambition but the team's low level holding him back I don't think u can blame him for his pessimistic views.
Nov 28, 2018 3:48 AM
Oct 2018
I want Ouji’s room XD And the bento was hilarious!
Nov 28, 2018 5:12 AM

Oct 2013
haiji D: i think it's just exhaustion... somebody take care of this boy
Nov 28, 2018 5:56 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Tsarko said:
Smudy said:

tingy said:

Unfortunately, I doubt it's from overworking. Usually when characters overwork, anime tries its best to show us how they are working hard. We know that Haiji has been working hard all this time but anime didn't put as much emphasis on it as other anime do when characters overwork. Also when characters show symptoms of overworking like blurry vision they usually look tired for a moment and then try to act like everything is all right and they are in fact not tired. But in Haiji's case he was surprised/scared by his blurry vision and he didn't seem tired at that moment. One more thing I noticed is that many (all?) characters had eyebags in this episode to indicate how much they've been training all this time except Haiji. His eyes were normal.

And the way he collapsed looked like he got a stroke. All this leads me to believe it's something more serious, like brain tumor or something.

If you meant prior to his blurry vision, then you're right that he didn't have dark circles under his eyes. But he definitely did at the track meet.

Some people can really overwork themselves without feeling it, so I don't think it's impossible that he would be surprised at the sudden blurry vision. Not saying that there's no possibility that what you are suggesting is true, I'd just rather not think in that direction, haha. I really liked the author's other work, Fune wo Amu, so I'd like to think that she wouldn't use such a trope here.
Nov 28, 2018 6:14 AM

Feb 2017
tingy said:
Tsarko said:

If you meant prior to his blurry vision, then you're right that he didn't have dark circles under his eyes. But he definitely did at the track meet.

Some people can really overwork themselves without feeling it, so I don't think it's impossible that he would be surprised at the sudden blurry vision. Not saying that there's no possibility that what you are suggesting is true, I'd just rather not think in that direction, haha. I really liked the author's other work, Fune wo Amu, so I'd like to think that she wouldn't use such a trope here.

Oh, I didn't notice them, thanks for pointing out. I checked again now and it seems they were pretty inconsistent with Haiji's eyebags throughout the whole episode. In one shots he'd have them and then in the next eyebags would be gone.
I'd love if it is from overworking, but clues from this episode and the tone of the preview don't give me much hope. I don't want Haiji to die :(
Nov 28, 2018 6:46 AM
Mar 2016
I actually think that him having some sort of medical condition would improve the narrative and support the reasoning why he is so obsessed with running the Ekiden.
Nov 28, 2018 6:54 AM
Jul 2017
With the serious injury to his body and the dizziness/fainting, I've started to wonder if maybe Haiji was hit by a car possibly while out running. A head injury might explain it? I don't know, my brain just started to spiral, I really hope best boy is okay.
Nov 28, 2018 8:02 AM

Jul 2016
Nembu said:
SouthRzVa said:

Kakeru's stubborn-rude attitude really fits for the episode, just so he could see that everyone's running wasn't half-assed. also Prince and Kakeru at the end get to relate a bit, was what made it even better!

If you weren't paying attention to when Haiji was checking his watch, he got a little drowsy, probably worked too hard for the team. He won't die since he is a main character and if he just died the show would get extremely boring without his quick and smart decision making also the team would just disband if Haiji died.

I payed attention when Haiji showed that sign of exhaustion.

I was mostly joking tho. My bad, I should have added a "lol" or and "xD" in my last comment. I know this is an spokon with a bit of drama but not "that" dramatic.

Other than that, I agree with your first statement about Kakeru.
Nov 28, 2018 8:36 AM

Sep 2018
i personally think it’s exhaustion or a stroke.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2019

210 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2019

84 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2019

66 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2019

93 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2019

68 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.