Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2018 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Having Masaki as a coach now really brings an interesting path for the club. He's holding these training sessions that tests the members including this mock tournament.

They definitely need to improve so it's a great opportunity to do so. The buildup for this club maintains a good pacing imo so far. There's still the usual character interactions and small talk to bring out some comedy too. Kaito often gets my attention the most.

Also felt like this episode used its music/OST well.
Stark700Nov 11, 2018 11:08 AM
Nov 11, 2018 7:37 AM

Nov 2007
23 years old, huh, and doing Japanese archery for 15 years.

As I thought, that guy who doesn't approve main guy knows him before main guy knew him.

That guy who is always in bad mood is jealous of main guy is in good term with the newly entered teacher. He's also strict but is kind to his friend who is popular to girls when he arm has scar.

Wow, practice match including that old teacher, who seems to be strong in the past.

Hard time to choose order, because they are against girls team which including the young and old teacher. The guy in bad mood doesn't like the sound of young teacher in enemy team.

Ticket to order people for getting motivation.

Instruction for entrance.

Teachers are really strong, and guys lost.

Training trip.

Giving his late grandfather's formal archery outfit to main guy?

Suspicious photographer is the young teacher's older brother. Wait, didn't he said he died? Or he meant he quit archery?

Mod Edit: Removed header.
ShockedNov 11, 2018 10:09 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 11, 2018 10:10 AM

Jan 2010
Merged tsubasalover's thread
Nov 11, 2018 11:28 AM
Sep 2015
That misunderstanding though, if this show isn't air on prestige NHK channel we might get to see more....
And Narumiya is humming Tsurune's OST LOL!!
Nov 11, 2018 11:28 AM

Dec 2014
That was a pretty good episode.

I think Onogi is going a little too far in terms of antagonizing everyone. As Nanao says, he basically wants to keep Masa-san for himself? I wonder what that's supposed to imply. XD

The mock tournament was fun to watch, I wish they'd have showed the arrows hitting their marks like they did in the initial episodes. That's always really cool to watch.

Still the group dynamic is pretty amusing.

Honestly, I'd like to see more of the girls. xD
Nov 11, 2018 11:31 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm 24 years old and a user of the bow for 15 years huh. A true veteran archer. Funny seeing Onogi and Minato clash over Masaki though. Deciding to enter a tournament was an interesting move on Masaki and Tommy sensei's part though. But its nice that the move forced Minato and the others to work together for once. The tournament itself was pretty interesting and it was fun seeing the casts thoughts as they shot. Overall an interesting episode that did well in expanding upon Nanao and Kaito while showing some of Kyudo's unique elements via the tourelement.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2018 11:54 AM

Oct 2018
So Kaachan's secretly just a fanboy, eh? Reminds me of a certain other Kaachan...

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Nov 11, 2018 12:21 PM
Nov 2015
Kacchan looks loving with Masa master and maybe a little jealous of Minato.
Anyway, we love this episode.
Nov 11, 2018 2:50 PM

Sep 2011
Kacchan definitely has a 'crush' on Masa-san, he was really jealous of his proximity with Minato, and he got really happy with that text telling him to get to the training camp early. I bet he thought he was special, but when he got there Minato was already there, sharing yet another intimate moment with Masa-san.

If Kacchan were a more agreeable guy I would feel sorry for him, but this was just satisfying. lol Ryouhei is still a ray of sunshine, Seiya is also kind of jealous of Minato, and that ritual in the end was perfect, Masa-san indeed has the best tsurune, and body. lol His brother is pretty handsome too, but I can agree that they don't really look like each other. This training camp started well, and it's looking pretty promising!
Nov 11, 2018 4:39 PM

Oct 2015
Masa sure brings fun to the team, the mock competition was great and I knew the guys will be servants in the end. Onogi is still an obnoxious jerk to Minato and an angel to Masa.

I hope the training camp will be good and will be a stepping stone in redeeming themselves.

Good episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 11, 2018 5:32 PM

Sep 2017
Lol Kacchan is so tsundere. There is a lot more to these team archery tournaments than I figured tho. I thought it would be just be like taking turns 1 at a time kinda thing. I can understand how you would actually need some teamwork to do such a thing.
Nov 11, 2018 6:47 PM

Jul 2016
Well, it seems Onogi's attitude towards Minato has calmed down a bit but this new fanboy side of him isn't of my liking either... I guess it can be helped, I just dislike the guy.

That aside, it was a good episode. The mock tournament was my favorite part. Especially the part when they explain the way every archer has to prepare himself based on the rules of Kyudou. It was really interesting to watch, being honest.
Nov 11, 2018 7:05 PM

Dec 2016

How am I going to do when he does that to his own hair?? Gorgeous! <3 My heart can't handle this beauty =w=

Even if this was a misunderstanding, my heart just skipped a beat just by looking at Masaki doing that *-*

Nice episode! Can't wait for the tournament to begin ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Nov 11, 2018 7:36 PM

Mar 2012
Episode 4 and still going good, also liked how mild the fan services are. Also, Kaito is so annoying.

Nov 12, 2018 4:29 AM

Mar 2016
Not bad. Though, is it absolutely necessary to strip an arm and show your pecks to perform the Yowatashi? What if a woman had to do that?

I checked the word 'geboku' in my dictionary. It means manservant. So, the boys' defeat was decided from the start, like it wasn't obvious enough already. Boys never win these sort of things in children's stories, do they?

Kacchan is like a cat. He really doesn't like sharing anything.
Nov 12, 2018 7:56 AM

Sep 2018
i love nanao so much.
Nov 12, 2018 7:59 AM

Nov 2016
Morioka is the ultimate troll.

Good episode and now we're entering one of the best aspects in sports anime, the training camp.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 12, 2018 10:10 AM

Dec 2016
I like how Seiya always answers back at Onogi when he says something mean to Minato, especially when they were cutting the grass. xD

Oh well, I only hope Seiya can talk to Minato about whatever is bothering him, although it's obviously something related to their handsome coach. <3
Nov 12, 2018 10:10 AM
Feb 2012
DaddyYharn said:
i love nanao so much.

you are the only one that does
KyoAni twinks are almost always annoying
Nov 12, 2018 11:54 AM

Dec 2008
Onogi redemption arc when
Nov 12, 2018 12:00 PM

Apr 2009
This was a pretty good episode, the best one so far. Masaki is a pretty good character that significantly changes the interactions between the members of the cast so you don't feel like you are re-watching a rehash of every generic sport anime ever. I'm also glad they managed to recapture some of Minato's behaviors toward Masaki in anime format, I thought they were going to tone them down given the previous episodes.

Introducing Ren earlier is also another good choice (And his design surprisingly matches the... impression I got from Minato's words in the novel).
Jin_uzukiNov 12, 2018 12:12 PM

Nov 12, 2018 4:13 PM
Aug 2018
ahneeme said:
DaddyYharn said:
i love nanao so much.

you are the only one that does
KyoAni twinks are almost always annoying

No, he isn't. I mean... I don't think any of the characters are fully fleshed out yet, but, as KyoAni usually does, in the third episode at least we had a glimpse of Nanao probably being a more complex character than he gives the impression. And that's about all that I expect for the first episodes, even more when Nanao isn't the main character.
But the only other KyoAni Twink I can think of (as I haven't watched Free!) is Satoshi from Hyouka, and that's one hell of a character.

But well... I actually don't expect Tsurune to be at the level of Hyouka, character wise. But the point stands... I think...
Nov 12, 2018 7:02 PM

Apr 2012
This show has so many akogare and adolescence that it looks more like the male version of Hibike than any clone Free. Lol, this title even has a Reina-ish MC and a Bakugo and Yuu's tsundere child. For a complete analogy, this anime lacks only romantic friendship and some kind of male version of Class S.

@R0rack Considering that he is a classic shoujo bishonen with an silly feminine personality and an unrealistic popularity witn girls as for a Western viewer, I understand why he annoys people. At the same time, at the moment he looks like the smartest of the ensemble of main guys, as he perfectly reads the motivation and emotions of other characters.

At the same time, in my opinion, Onogi is so flat shonen perfectionist rival that it starts becoming too boring and really annoying. Bakugo seemed to me too angry and overly offensive, but against the background of "our" tsundere, he looks like just emotional guy.

I am very familiar with such "I need any small excuse to get angry" guys in real life, one of my best friends is like that, so Onogi initially doesn't cause me any sympathy.
Nov 12, 2018 7:15 PM

Apr 2012
BackstageMage said:
So Kaachan's secretly just a fanboy, eh? Reminds me of a certain other Kaachan...

If you want analogies with BNHA, then Kaito can make me believe in homosexual reproduction and that BakuDeku had a child. With a bonus in the form a "crush" on the local AllMighty, who looking like ikemen from an expensive shoujo anime.

Damn, this anime has a lot more references to the Academy than I suspected :D.

Nov 13, 2018 2:09 PM
May 2007
FuMomo-kun said:
Not bad. Though, is it absolutely necessary to strip an arm and show your pecks to perform the Yowatashi? What if a woman had to do that?

I guess yes maybe because they wear kimonos for the ceremony and kimonos have long sleeves. Remember what happened to Nanao's arm? You don't want the bowstring to hit the kimono long sleeve. Men have to "hadanugi" remove the left sleeve. Women have to tie up the kimono sleeves.

Nov 13, 2018 8:35 PM

Mar 2016
Shadow-Chan said:
FuMomo-kun said:

I guess yes maybe because they wear kimonos for the ceremony and kimonos have long sleeves. Remember what happened to Nanao's arm? You don't want the bowstring to hit the kimono long sleeve. Men have to "hadanugi" remove the left sleeve. Women have to tie up the kimono sleeves.

That was so interesting!!! I am not a big fan of KyoAni, but the amount of detail they put in is so remarkable.

It kind of looked like stripping the left sleeve (or tying it) might also help to avoid the possibility of obstructing the target. Because of the pretty characters in the anime, I thought it was only fanservice.

Now, I am curious about left handed people. lol.
Nov 13, 2018 9:04 PM

Dec 2016
Morioka-sensei is now added to the infinite list of badass old men in anime lmaooo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 14, 2018 2:24 AM

Oct 2008
toned-down episode, but damn! old man Morioka-sensei is still a sharp and a marksman in archery! not until his back gets hurt again! lolz
3/5.

Nov 14, 2018 8:26 AM

Apr 2007
Seiya is becoming a creeper.

I love how detailed they are about archery, but it's hard to enjoy the show when the characters are being fleshed out at such a snail pace. They couldn't even explain Onogi admiring Masa-san due to the former's cute stubborn attitude.
Nov 14, 2018 9:14 AM
Aug 2018
#RobertBobert I guess you're right about Nanao. It's simply a kind of character that's usually not liked in the occidental community. But I think that my mainly complaints about Tsurune thus far is that the characters personalities seem to make the show's tone to clash.
As you said, Onogi seems too "Shounen antagonist" to feel like he belongs to the same show, and as Tsurune is (supposedly) about Minato's trauma, it doesn't fit the more dramatic approach that I thought this series would go for. I can say the same about Ryouhei, as he seems to be a character on a very Slice of Life/Power of friendship kind of show. I actually find Nanao as the most interesting secondary character of the series (and Seiya, of course, but I think he's gonna have a more important role in the series, so I wouldn't call him as secondary as Nanao)
All in all, I'm still enjoying the ride, even if the tonal whiplash hasn't let me totally connect with any of the characters or totally invest in the story. But hopefully the series will fix those problems along the way
Nov 14, 2018 2:56 PM
May 2007
PurpleGirl203 said:

How am I going to do when he does that to his own hair?? Gorgeous! <3 My heart can't handle this beauty =w=

I'm so dead. I want to touch and feel his hair so much but I can't.

Even if this was a misunderstanding, my heart just skipped a beat just by looking at Masaki doing that *-*

I died twice here and I got a little jealous of Minato. I want a Masa hug.

PS. I'm here weekly especially for your gifs. Keep them coming ♥
Nov 16, 2018 11:38 AM

Feb 2015
Shadow-Chan said:
PurpleGirl203 said:

I'm so dead. I want to touch and feel his hair so much but I can't.

I died twice here and I got a little jealous of Minato. I want a Masa hug.

I feel you sooo much.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Nov 19, 2018 4:59 PM
Jun 2016
PurpleGirl203 said:

Nice episode! Can't wait for the tournament to begin ^^

Thank you for the gif and same. Masa-san sure is a nice bit of eye candy. 😍
Nov 19, 2018 7:14 PM

Nov 2018
In Episode 1, Minato mentions making ginger pork for dinner.

In this episode, Masa-san says his favorite food is ginger pork.

This detail just delighted me. 🙂
Nov 23, 2018 12:00 PM

Apr 2014
Not a single likable character in this show.

Katsu-kunJan 19, 2019 6:37 AM
Nov 30, 2018 12:35 AM

Aug 2017
Kacchan have some nice characterization.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 30, 2018 11:02 PM

Jul 2017
Those formations were pretty to look at. It's truly art.

Kacchan and his tsundere attitude, Idk what to feel about that, being pissed for petty reasons.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Feb 8, 2019 6:06 PM

Jun 2014
With the sexy Masa-san there, I'm sure that they'll improve.

Mar 2, 2019 11:37 PM

Oct 2016
That Onogi guy pisses me off. He's so obsessed with Masa-san.
Dec 27, 2019 4:45 AM

Mar 2018
Kacchan goes on my nerves and his jealous crush too but there is a need for a character like him in a show to spice things up. Otherwise, I can safely say that I just love the show. It feels very real and I am surprised that it flew so much under the radar, then again Violet Evergarden was such a huge presence that the show overshadowed everything else.
Nov 27, 2021 9:49 AM

Jun 2015
seriously Japan! what do you have against handsome guys with long hair? Why do you either kill them off or make them cut their hair?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 14, 2022 2:24 AM

Feb 2020
Nice episode. The mock tournament was entertaining to watch.

Cute kitty. =^_^=
Aug 27, 2022 5:23 AM
Apr 2022
Oct 2, 2022 6:42 PM

Aug 2019
I need more of Shirtless Masa

And Jesus the tension is real
Oct 14, 2022 10:23 PM
Mar 2020
i love the dynamic between all the members! and i loveeee masan! and his wholesome relationship with narumiya and even kaito haha <3
Jan 2, 2023 7:44 AM
May 2011
So often, the scary looking guy will actually be nice and friendly, and despite Kaito bandaging up Nanao, he's still mostly an angry asshole. I think it worked in the beginning when Minato was being a mopey bitch, but rather than easing up after noticing Minato's effort, he's doubled down since he's jealous that Masaki isn't paying him the same attention he gives Minato. As mentioned, Minato isn't a mopey bitch anymore, but now he's just bland. This makes Ryohei less annoying, since he doesn't have to be on Minato's case about his mopeyness, but he's not much better. Nanao is still annoying, and Seiya is still the worst. And that is your kyudo team. If you're wondering about the girls, don't. This episode proved they are nothing more than set dressing, since the show couldn't be bothered to have them introduce themselves to the new coach.
This show is the worst parts of Free with none of the fun stuff. Dropped.
Jan 4, 2023 5:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
A training camp sounds cool, just too bad they became slaves to the club xD

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2018

48 by Ratris_Decision »»
Yesterday, 3:35 AM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2019

37 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 7, 5:28 AM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2018

50 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 7, 12:01 AM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2018

40 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 6, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2018

45 by George8 »»
May 20, 2023 1:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.