Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 2018 10:37 AM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
I guess this can be perceived as a late on the hype (I'm not asking what seasonals you missed btw) and late as in, you're too old to appreciate the concept of certain series.

Either way. I'm watching AnoHana right now, just about finished, and people told me that this series was def gonna make me cry, and I'm not even hard pressed on my emotions. I remember this series being super praised when it came out. Now it may be because I'm an adult and my "teen drama" well is dry but I'm just not feeling it. I think I teared up once in episode one and now I keep thinking I'm a heartless monster for not emphasizing; sad thing is, I'm sure 16 year old me would've probably bawled her eyes out. So maybe I'm just too late. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone else feel that way? Too late because you're too fucking old to understand some corny ass plot or empathize with a bunch of teenagers crying over their dead friend?

CLARIFICATION: Since my post apparently confused people. I meant what shows did you miss and came back to, but would've probably had more worth if you would've watched it at an earlier date; because of ongoing conversations, spoilers/opinions tampering your own, or taste evolving. NOT what did you miss that season because you all skip fucking seasonals. OBVIOUSLY.
StripesMay 4, 2018 10:01 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 3, 2018 10:38 AM

Apr 2016
I know exactly what you mean, i was banned around that time and the whole shitstorm from pingu completely missed me, damn.
May 3, 2018 10:41 AM

Feb 2018
Pretty much every anime on my list that isn't from the last 2-4 seasons tbh i only got into anime Farley recently so I was late for almost all of them.
May 3, 2018 10:48 AM

Oct 2017
It's not your fault, since this show is just too ridiculous. The whole show's just about those teenagers crying over a retard... I rated it a 4, it's definitely one of the worst anime I've ever watched.
May 3, 2018 10:52 AM

Jul 2016
Aside from every popular thing on my PTW right now..... I guess One Punch Man. I'd been hearing about it for months but didn't get round to it for, like, half a year or so after it ended. I still like it though, and I'm glad I did in the end, otherwise I'd never have found Mob Psycho.
May 3, 2018 10:54 AM
Aug 2016
How would I be late to the party when I was never there in the first place? πŸ€”

Jokes aside, I still haven't seen shows like Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, Steins;Gate, Hunter x Hunter, Clannad, etc.

But I'm not planning to watch those anytime soon 🀷🏻‍♂️
May 3, 2018 10:54 AM

Oct 2010
I watch SAO now so yeah. And I also discovered the Beatles and I listen to them almost every day.
May 3, 2018 11:20 AM

Nov 2017
I reckon the high school me would have loved Code Geass. The show was pretty much exactly what I was into at the time: guerrilla warfare, violent terrorists opposing tyrannical government and the associated moral quandaries as well as some cheesy drama. Of course, my interest in all of that led me to learn more about those topics, so by the time I actually saw it I didn't find the show to have much more to add to any of it. I had also seen much more war stories and scifi-action by that time as well, so those aspects weren't nearly as impressive as they undoubtedly would have been had I seen the series when it first came out. Still mostly liked it, but you know...

Also the name of the topic is pretty misleading.
May 3, 2018 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
Any anime before the 21st century that I've watched I'd say I missed the hype for.
May 3, 2018 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
I was late on the hype of My Hero Academia when it came out in 2016. Though, of course, that's probably because I wanted said hype to die down, so...

Anyway, now that I'm watching MHA with the boyfriend - I'm definitely enjoying it and already have favorite characters from it. :)
May 3, 2018 11:52 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty much everything I've been watching lately and everything on my ptw list.

Sometimes I purposely wait to watch certain things until all the hype dies down, or at least most of it.
May 3, 2018 12:11 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
ZSTGL_IMA said:
It's not your fault, since this show is just too ridiculous. The whole show's just about those teenagers crying over a retard... I rated it a 4, it's definitely one of the worst anime I've ever watched.

I don't think you've seen enough bad anime, there is definitely worse.

It's not actively terrible. The plot of losing your friend during childhood and it being about loss was a great focus. But it focused way to much on the love pentagon going on and it's like "who the fuck cares"

YayaChibi said:
I'm too late on the hype of Astro Boy lmao lol

Should've been born in the 50's in order to enjoy the series to the fullest lmao lol

Nothing to say other then, great response.
May 3, 2018 12:18 PM
Aug 2013
I think this happens quite a bit bc I dont usually follow shows much as they come out, although ive been doing it more lately.

also I guess I kinda enjoy being late to the party
Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first.
May 3, 2018 12:21 PM
Jun 2017
Boku no Hero Academia is probably the most recent. I didn't even hear about it until the first season finished airing.
May 3, 2018 12:23 PM

Apr 2015
If I had gotten into Naruto in elementary school I would've been obsessed.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 3, 2018 12:24 PM

Jan 2017
I wish I watched big 3 when I was a kid/teen I would probably love it
May 3, 2018 1:07 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
AisBarbs said:
I wish I watched big 3 when I was a kid/teen I would probably love it

Probably but you'd eventually develop taste.
May 3, 2018 1:12 PM

Feb 2015
The hype surrounding BnHA were surely a miss on my part and Darling in the FranXX but I did not regret it simply because I felt like watching Darling in the FranXX is quite a grind I didn't like those things. BnHA in some case were probably a miss simply because I did not see the appeal of the anime adaptation.

I primarily didn't care about Overlord hype there are though that certain arc I want to be adapted but, well, that's just my wish.
May 3, 2018 1:13 PM

May 2009
I watched Haruhi years after it was big. I liked it. That's probably the biggest example in my head.

Since I don't follow seasonals, I'm actually arguably frequently late to the party, assuming there's a party (i.e. the show is prominent enough).

Another form of being "late" might apply to some other shows though. For example I wonder if I might have enjoyed Guilty Crown more had I watched it while I was younger.
GlennMagusHarveyMay 3, 2018 1:18 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 3, 2018 1:16 PM

Jul 2013
I started to watch anime as a hobby in 2014, and, by that time, I ignored all the shipping wars regarding Oreimo. It wasn't until two years later until I watched the series and I realized how big the butthurt over the ending was. I missed lots of salt, and that makes me depressed :'(
At least I was able to see the ship wars of Re: Zero...
May 3, 2018 1:17 PM

Jan 2013
Naruto, I'd probably love it as a teenager but now it'd be just a waste of time.
May 3, 2018 1:27 PM

Dec 2017
sometimes when i watch a good show that had a good amount of hype around it, i check mal title episode discussions and just get disappointed from how low the discussion rate is. i'd want to get back in fall 2013 just to get on the kill la kill hype train

i remember once crunchy roll did a marathon on twitch and streamed a bunch of recent anime for a week. that shit was majestic, to watch a show with a shitstorm of weebs in the chat, god such good times
May 3, 2018 1:32 PM

Feb 2012
Just ended up watching fma brotherhood just a few months ago. Great anime, glad I completed it before I end up by The Gate
May 3, 2018 1:39 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
everything that came before 2009 (when i started watching online)

my first anime hype train or "everyone else is watching this with me" anime was probably HoTD, cause before that i watched very few anime as they were airing
May 3, 2018 1:48 PM

Aug 2015
I probably would have enjoyed Haruhi and the Monogatari series a lot more if I watched them a few years ago.

As for late to the hype, it took me over a year to watch Shelter. Not a series but it's only 6 minutes long, so that's something.

Also, pretty much every acclaimed anime from recent seasons.
Might as well add Gurren Lagann and YLIA to the list as well.

SignifieMay 3, 2018 1:51 PM
May 3, 2018 1:50 PM

Jul 2017
If we're talking about 'late to the hype' then pretty much every single show on the top 50 most popular and Highest Rated sauf Sangatsu 2nd season (and S;G 0 now)
May 3, 2018 1:55 PM

Nov 2011
That's funny timing. Just a couple days ago in a club I was talking about how Anohana's relevance has dropped during the past couple of years and hardly anyone talks about it anymore.

I'm late to the party on a lot of stuff, though. After all these years I still haven't seen the Haruhi movie.

I'm also behind on a lot of well liked stuff from the past 2-4 years.
May 3, 2018 1:58 PM

Apr 2010
Sometimes it's age, sometimes they can't touch you for some reason.

May 3, 2018 2:11 PM

Dec 2013
Hell, I still haven't seen NGE lol.

And no, you aren't a heartless monster for not being impacted by Anohana. I kept it on hold as a 'rainy day' anime for a long time because expected #masterpiece. Not so much. Good ideas on paper but disappointing execution. Lugubrious, forced melodrama, emotional manipulation, etc, pick your term imo. There are WAY better sol/coming of age romances out there.
May 3, 2018 2:19 PM

Apr 2013
All of them. I've never watched an airing series for more than an episode.
I never buy a ticket and always jump off the train.
May 3, 2018 2:24 PM

Apr 2015
oh, at first i thought ur talking about good anime that u miss at the season it was aired.. but u actually talk about overrated anime hype. well in that case My Hero Academia is definitely take the cake, as i have already moved on from cliche shounen, as now i feel they are too childish and so repetitive...

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
May 3, 2018 2:29 PM

Jun 2011
Everything I watch. Only will say, I regret being a brat about Naruto when I was a teen.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 3, 2018 2:41 PM

Feb 2010
I never cried for fiction until I was in my 20s so I can't really relate to the whole 'it'd have given me feels as a teen'. I used to think that crying for a tv series or movie was absurd and couldn't imagine it happening to me when I was that age, but in recent years that catharsis is one of my favorite parts of watching stuff. I don't even care being emotionally manipulated as long as it works.

And anohana worked for me. made me cry a couple of times. I generally found the drama to be among the better ones of its type, at least in terms of feels, even if some of it was a bit OTT in terms of the writing.

When I think of being late to the party I think of the fact that most people stop caring about most shows once they finish airing and I usually only watch all the high profile and high expectation shows after they finish airing at which point most people have already moved on to the next season and talk more about the season that will come after the next one than they talk about the previous season.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 3, 2018 2:44 PM

Jan 2017
Clannad I only saw it last year and Toaru Majutsu and Kagaku.
May 3, 2018 2:47 PM

May 2017
I basically got late to almost everything on my list, being some of the most popular ones Death Note, Re:Zero, Naruto, Bleach, HxH and Toradora! Sadly when you're late to the hype it's difficult to avoid spoilers and people trying to influence their opinions on you, so being late has somehow affected my enjoyment.

“Never forget what you are, for
surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness.
Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."
May 3, 2018 3:40 PM

Feb 2018
I believe that the reason AnoHana didn't connect with your feelings is because it is a poor show, not because you are too old for it.

On topic: I believe I watched TTGL 10 years too late, really didn't get any of the "awesomeness" that everybody is talking about, I just felt that it is a ridiculous (and pretty boring) show.
May 3, 2018 4:06 PM

Aug 2015
It's simple: you either empathize characters or not. I liked AnoHana and I found it touching. Buut people still call me heartless because I think that Hachiko is just a stupid dog.
May 3, 2018 5:35 PM

Oct 2015
Only watched Death Note last year September and I still think it's up to standards

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 3, 2018 5:57 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Pretty much everything I get into. I've never been a big seasonal watcher and even when I peaked at like, 4 - 5 per season maybe, I never really actively partook in the seasonal discussions or anything of that nature. I almost exclusively watch things well after they've aired these days - even last season, when I tried to get a bit more into seasonals, I just dropped one and started finishing the others I picked up only recently.

Takes a while, almost always miss out on the hype surrounding specific shows and whatnot.

May 3, 2018 6:17 PM

Jan 2018
Litterally every show i watched i was late on the hype train. Mostly cuz i like to wait until series are finished before starting them.
May 3, 2018 6:22 PM

Feb 2016
A whole lot of shows since i barely watch seasonals anymore
May 3, 2018 9:12 PM

Aug 2016
Probably Angel Beats, Elfen Lied and Sword Art Online. Don't feel any positives towards these franchises
May 3, 2018 9:21 PM

Jan 2017
I used to love Inazuma Eleven a lot when i was a kid.
Nowadays it doesnt appeal me that much.
May 3, 2018 9:23 PM

Nov 2011
Yeah that's how I feel about a few shoujo series I skipped as a kid- like skip beat or fushigi yuugi. I know I would have loved them back then, but now I just don't have the same interests and they bore me. Kind of makes me sad.

May 3, 2018 9:24 PM

Jun 2017
I watched Erased about 6 months after it aired, think I was pretty late to the hype train on that.
Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you.
May 3, 2018 9:25 PM
Apr 2018
All ecchi harem/ecchi series
Before 2006
May 3, 2018 9:25 PM

Mar 2014
I was late on the Attack on Titan hype. I first watched it nearly a year after it came out.
May 3, 2018 9:27 PM

Jan 2018
Most of the animes which i gave 7 or higher than 7.
May 3, 2018 9:29 PM

May 2016
I'm always late to the party. It just comes with the territory for me.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 3, 2018 9:36 PM

Jan 2018
I wait for it to finished airing, I also watch shows that are popular, considered as mainstream, cheap tactics, hayao miyazaki wannabe etc.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

10 by Theo1899 »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

10 by Zarutaku »»
16 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

51 by luckyrune »»
25 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

22 by Spunkert »»
33 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

27 by Prupel1 »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.