Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 19, 2018 9:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The kids in this anime are funny especially as troublemakers lol

Not as intense as the previous two episodes in term of fighting but I still find it pretty entertaining in regards to the show's style. Junk is still such a badass. I love how intimidating he makes his actions look even when outside the ring.

Apr 19, 2018 11:39 AM

May 2016
What a great episode, everything was simply amazing the pacing is fast but it's the best thing for a 13 episodes boxing anime they definitely pulled a miracle here, the kids are great I started liking them from the first few minutes, but I wonder how is he gonna get a gear, or could he play without!
Apr 19, 2018 11:44 AM

Nov 2013
decent ep, i like that they honoured joe caring about the kids.

i'm a little sceptical how they're gonna go through the 5 matches for the big showdown in 13 episodes. could be rushed
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 19, 2018 11:45 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The kids are fucking great, i did not expect them including some slum kids in here. So good.

Also holy shit at that short fight, THE HYPE!
Apr 19, 2018 11:54 AM

Mar 2016
Man, this series is probably anime of the season for me.
Apr 19, 2018 11:55 AM

Jun 2015
The kids are pretty street smart, especially Sachio. He knows what he's talking about and is going to help out Joe. The short fight was amazing.
Apr 19, 2018 11:57 AM

Nov 2016
Starting at the very bottom.

Nice to see that JD Joe sparked off a fire in Yuri. Btw that's a nice trainings machine he got there.

People who have seen Ashita no Joe will most likely be able to guess why Sachio seems so concerned about Joe and so attached to his hat. But maybe I'm interpreting too much into this.

Animation in this episode was simple yet very good again and the action delivered too. So glad that this show continues to be the best anime this season so far.
FMmatronApr 19, 2018 12:02 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 19, 2018 11:57 AM

Mar 2013
got to admit that kid really knows his stuff especially when it comes to gear. Can't wait to see joe finally compete and of course he would be ranked at the bottom. I loved that yuri can't get Joe's words out of his head I hope we get to see the match between him and spider.
Apr 19, 2018 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
Wow, JD's words about megalo box actually affected Yuri, and even motivate him to train harder? That's nice to know.

Lol, those kids are pretty brave, aren't they? Now they don't have any Gear, but since the old man doesn't seem concerned then I guess he has a plan.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 19, 2018 12:15 PM

Jul 2017
Not as great as the other 2 episodes but still, this show has been so great so far.

Kids are fine but I hope I can get more interested in them.
Apr 19, 2018 12:15 PM

Dec 2017
i wonder what's up with displaying russians as negative or antagonist characters
Apr 19, 2018 12:19 PM

Jan 2016
I'm in love, this anime is fucking amazing!

An anime kids that aren't irritating, not something you come across every day. Sachio is awesome, so are the others but Sachio specifically, let's see what they'll do about the gear.

The only concern I have with this is that it's 13 episodes only, please don't be another angel beats

Apr 19, 2018 12:27 PM

Feb 2018
FMmatron said:

People who have seen Ashita no Joe will most likely be able to guess why Sachio seems so concerned about Joe and so attached to his hat. But maybe I'm interpreting too much into this.

Do you think Sachio is the son of the "real" joe ?
Thanks to @Baskervillain for the set ! :D
Apr 19, 2018 12:30 PM

Oct 2011
Great music, awesome art, fantastic plot progression, I want more :D

Apr 19, 2018 12:33 PM

Nov 2016
SPlitMG said:
FMmatron said:

Not son,but someone who was dear to him or maybe the hat was passed on from Joes era. Provided that it's actually the same universe.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 19, 2018 12:45 PM

May 2015
Not bad, an episode much more focused on the gears than before. Great scenes again with the short fight at the end of the episode. But the new feature of this episode is the addition of new characters with the kids, who, this time, will maybe have a greater importance than those of Ashita no Joe thanks to Sachio who joins the team. I like the winks to AnJ with the the old boxing ring under a bridge, once again the characters will try to reach the top with little material, nothing but the will ! ^^

In this episode, I have the impression that for the first time Junk Dog "Joe" is invested with a mission. We saw Sachio's cap with maybe his parents in photo ; I think Sachio is going to ask JD to avenge his parents, who were probably killed by a rich boxer or something like that. The theme "rich" against "poor" appears well here : JD will avenge the "poor" ( the kids and maybe their parents) and beat the "rich" (Yuuri, Shirato and perhaps others people), I get the impression that Junk Dog, Joe's heir, will defend and represent the poor people against the rich of the championship, and so JD will become like Joe a symbol for the poor people turned away from the "city". In addition, now JD will perhaps fight without a Gear : those who don't own against those who own ? It's probably me who wants to make connections with AnJ. But Megalo Box is a tribute to AnJ, so maybe we'll have a similar story.

I think Yuuri can really become an interesting character, probably the final boss of the anime, he is the only one who seems really interested in Junk Dog, I can't wait to see how this character will evolve. Maybe it's Yuuri who is responsible for the "probable" murder of Sachio's parents and it's going to turn him into a bad guy in contrary to a "Rikishi" but maybe I want to go too far once again.
Eterna71Apr 19, 2018 2:39 PM
Apr 19, 2018 12:52 PM

Feb 2018
FMmatron said:
SPlitMG said:

Not son,but someone who was dear to him or maybe the hat was passed on from Joes era. Provided that it's actually the same universe.

Did you manage to identify the people in the picture insie the hat ? Because I don't think we've seen them before
Thanks to @Baskervillain for the set ! :D
Apr 19, 2018 12:56 PM

Mar 2018
That was awesome. Especially that fight at the end.
Apr 19, 2018 1:13 PM

Nov 2016
SPlitMG said:
FMmatron said:

Did you manage to identify the people in the picture insie the hat ? Because I don't think we've seen them before

The guy on the picture was most likely his dad,but I meant that the hat could have been passed to Sachios dad too and from him to Sachio. And yes,these people are unknown so far.

Apr 19, 2018 1:15 PM

Jan 2013
Another great episode. Sachio is supposed to be the parallel version of Sachi in AnJ.

Awesome OST as usual.

I thought that orange gear was supposed to be the real deal but it fucking malfunctioned. What they gonna do?

The fight was epic!
Apr 19, 2018 1:27 PM

Nov 2016
The difference between social classes in this city tho. Those kids are really clever when stealing.Joe saving the kid was a cool characteristic of him.

Joe still have problems with his boxing, and his good that is trying to improve. This episode was more of a buildup episode with less intense moments but was still enjoyable. Wasn't expecting that gear to fall into pieces, I thought that WAS the gear to go. The kid is a key for the sucess.
Apr 19, 2018 1:29 PM

Jan 2009
that kid will be a good coach someday or even a very good gear engineer

now time for them to find a new gear
Apr 19, 2018 1:54 PM

Oct 2017
Pretty good episode, Sachio really wants to go to Megalonia lol

I'm concerned about the pacing though, seems like we still have a lot to go through and there's only 10 episodes left, I really don't want this show to get rushed
im trying my best to stop being a weeb ok dont judge me
Apr 19, 2018 1:55 PM

Jan 2015
I honestly felt this episode was too rushed. I didn't like the kid characters and they felt very shoehorned in. If this episode had been able to span 2 episodes instead it might have gone over a bit better but that's not really possible in a 13 episode series...
Apr 19, 2018 2:26 PM

Feb 2014
uninstallthegame said:
i wonder what's up with displaying russians as negative or antagonist characters

Yeah man, i also can't stand american journalism.

Thread:

Great episode as always, will Joe start fighting without a gear?
Apr 19, 2018 2:28 PM

Jul 2015
Another good episode. This anime is going to be one of the best of 2018
Apr 19, 2018 2:31 PM

Jul 2013
Ah, I don't think the kids were necessary for the story tbh, and looks like they're sticking around now too.
Apr 19, 2018 2:39 PM

Apr 2015
Holy shit the osts are fuckin great,and that short fight tho.

"You are the leaves bathing in the sun, I am the roots that grow in the dark."
Apr 19, 2018 2:45 PM

Apr 2015
thewiru said:
uninstallthegame said:

Yeah man, i also can't stand american journalism.

Thread:

Great episode as always, will Joe start fighting without a gear?

I think it's necessary to have a gear in order to participate to the tournament.

"You are the leaves bathing in the sun, I am the roots that grow in the dark."
Apr 19, 2018 2:49 PM

Sep 2015
So they gonna pretend they have a gear? That's dangerous, but amazing!
Apr 19, 2018 2:52 PM

Aug 2013
Joe might fight and win without a gear. If so, then it would be more realistic for him to get enough attention and become a top fighter in 5 matches.
Apr 19, 2018 3:23 PM

Feb 2013
He managed to defeat " Nishi " without a gear.
Apr 19, 2018 3:27 PM
Jul 2014
Higashi= Nishi? Not the same character, but who knows in the rest of episodes.
Apr 19, 2018 3:46 PM
Oct 2016
That Higashi character probably is this series version of Nishi (because Nishi means "west" and Higashi means "east"), I had no idea they were even gonna have their own Nishi in this series so that was surprising, I can't imagine he'll do much else after their fight but it would be funny if he had the same complete change in personality just like Nishi originally did.

Loved seeing this series also has Joe living under a bridge and a gang of kids rather than just Sachio as the promotional material would have you believe. Also damn that "Red Candy" was clearly some future drugs, was not expecting to see something like that, I wonder what other mature topics they'll explore (I notice Yuri and Yukiko seem to be quite close so I wonder if they'll go there in this series).

Overall very happy to see just how different this is to Ashita no Joe, a true reimagining, and the animation had some really nice fluid moments which made me happy since I was worried it would get worse as it went on. I shudder to imagine what will happen to Nanbu if Joe doesn't make it in the 3 months that Fujimaki gave them..., in fact making it 13 episodes makes a lot of sense now because it adds to that sense of urgency that these guys aren't just getting to the top but they're having to do it before this incredibly threatening mob boss loses his patience with them.
Apr 19, 2018 4:28 PM
Nov 2016
shiro_kai said:

Nah I think theyre gonna add that malfunctioned gear to Joes old broken gear and he'll just box with that
Apr 19, 2018 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
That last action scene was badass af, this anime is doing a great job at building hype.
Apr 19, 2018 5:01 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Pretty nice episode. Now JD gots some more people to keep him company on his way to Megalonia.
Apr 19, 2018 5:38 PM

Jan 2018
And here we are. He's not a wild dog anymore. The story of Joe has begun.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 19, 2018 6:03 PM

Sep 2015
Emanharlem55 said:
shiro_kai said:

Nah I think theyre gonna add that malfunctioned gear to Joes old broken gear and he'll just box with that

I think both are to fucking broken and even the 2 together are just garbage, but is still possible.
Apr 19, 2018 6:23 PM
Nov 2016
shiro_kai said:
Emanharlem55 said:

I think both are to fucking broken and even the 2 together are just garbage, but is still possible.

True I think it could go either way but it would be pretty cool if they made his own custorm gear, junks better than nothing
Apr 19, 2018 6:54 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
Nice episode!
The show so far has been great & I surely hope it stays like this, though I am worried about the fast pacing.
Rip to that gear, but I wonder if that means we’ll get to see him fight without a gear or maybe they will fix the broken gear somehow.

Also the short fight was amazing and gosh, I just love the OST!!

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Apr 19, 2018 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
That new gear didn't last very long!

A few punches and it fell apart~ I wonder what he will do now for a gear, or if he will just go in without one?
Apr 19, 2018 7:35 PM

May 2013
Not as good as the first two episodes, but still was good. The kids I hope they sever more a purpose than what they did in Ashita no joe, because in ANj they were nothing but joe cheering squad. I am quite curious about Sachinko involvement in this, It would be nice like Jbm71, if the person of that killed his parents was Yuri, but somehow I don't see that happening. What I expecting is that during some point in the series we get a character who very similar that of Wolf and he was the one that did it. The fight was a too short, but seeing how this is only a 13 episodes series we be lucky if fights last longer than 1 episode.
Also liek that Joe keeping things small with not only with the level of his career, but where he trains, it remains alot of how Joe started out.
Apr 19, 2018 8:06 PM

Aug 2014
Fucking urchins and their iphones and RC gadgets man. Smokes got upgraded to "candy", and Sachi sure got a makeover. Liking how characters retain roles (and appearance), but are different enough otherwise to set them apart from their predecessors. This needed more than 13, definitely sped up here.
QuattroVaginasApr 19, 2018 8:10 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 19, 2018 8:19 PM

Oct 2015
if the anime continues to give us episode like the last 3 it would be 10/10 from me .
also at the last scene i was shivering from excitement
Apr 19, 2018 8:39 PM

Jul 2017
Another solid episode, this would be the dark horse of the season.

Joe "Junk Dog" finding his composure into Megladonia with the first rounds of training and with the kids (especially Sachio) following him on the journey to Yuri.

Always be reminded that the OST is pure excellence.
Apr 19, 2018 9:13 PM

Mar 2012
This was a really good episode, especially in the second half. I'm loving this early arc a lot.
Apr 19, 2018 9:31 PM

Mar 2016
¿Alguien más le agarró la onda a la frase "Dios aprieta pero no ahorca" en el crucifijo?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 19, 2018 10:57 PM

Apr 2018
A bit rushed, but still pretty darn good
Apr 19, 2018 11:24 PM
Apr 2018
the episode is really good, cannot wait to see more action in this anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.