Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 6, 2018 9:20 AM
Jun 2017
This episode was simply beautiful, and did a great job balancing the humor and more touching parts of it. I'm going to be sad when this show is over.
Mar 6, 2018 9:31 AM

Jun 2015
Shirase's reaction to the penguin was funny. Working at Antarctica can be tough. Christmas outfits were amusing. The ending was simple, yet beautiful. Happy birthday Yuzu!
Mar 6, 2018 11:06 AM

Apr 2010
They finally made it to the camp and even of Christmas which was interesting.
The episode also proved that Yuzu still has a lot to learn about friendship or being with others which was funny.
Mar 6, 2018 11:13 AM

Nov 2017
It's interesting that this episode on friendship could be a whole series into itself.(like they sold it so well here that I can easily picture this show being just about exploring that)
We got little tidbits throughout the show about their growing bond but now we get to "define" it while giving Yuzuki character development? sold. bravo. bellissimo.

Could it have been done better? Ya, probably? dispersing this themes "plotline" through a couple more episode in a slightly larger way then they already did, might've made the impact that much more greater. (Although you could argue that would've muddied up what we were going for with the rest of the show)

Also thank god for a callback to Megu-chan! I'm hoping for a little (just a little) resolution there.

3 more episode boys, Lets enjoy the rest of the ride shall we?
Mar 6, 2018 11:13 AM

Nov 2007
D1tchd1gger said:
It's quite sad that Yuzuki thought that you had to draw up a contract to be friends.

More like I can already see her wanting to register the three girls in her family registry as well. She is quite the possessive type. <3
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 6, 2018 11:18 AM

Oct 2012
In my best toddler voice: "what's a friend?"
Mar 6, 2018 11:25 AM

Feb 2018
Wow, and I thought the Singapore episode would be unsurpassable. This may be at least equally good.

I liked that development of Yuzu's most vulnerable aspect, given that during the journey she seemed to be the most mature among the girls despite being the youngest. I saw the birthday stuff coming, yet it was fun and moving and felt very natural. The whole friendship plot ended up touching the other girls, too: Seems that even Hinata got a message from her clubmates!
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 6, 2018 11:59 AM

Feb 2014
Shirase went into rabbid-fan mode when she saw that cute little penguin approaching them. XD

So they've made it to Antarctica, but the hard work has only really got started. There's a lot of clearing up to do to get the base running at 100% after 3 years of not being used, so everyone gets stuck in with their roles. It makes the pick-me-ups even more important as it keeps the morale of the hard workers as strong as possible.

Yuzuki's development was pretty well done too. Because of her successful acting career all her life, she never really had a chance to understand what friendship really meant, hence why she made that contract paper, thinking that was the right thing to do. I do agree with them saying that summing up friendship with a word is a bit difficult.

Still, the other girls knew that they missed the chance to celebrate Yuzuki's birthday before, so they amends by making a special cake for her. The whole scene was really touching, I must say. =)

Only three episodes left now. I still think that feels train is going to arrive at full speed soon...
Mar 6, 2018 12:03 PM

Dec 2017
More penguin scenes please.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 6, 2018 12:27 PM

Feb 2016
Is it to early for GOAT and AOTY? This episode melt my heart. My poor Yuzu :'). Trying to explain friendship huh? that's quite a thing. Glad that she finally accepted it. How touching :3 I would like to trasverse into this anime just to hug her already!
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 6, 2018 12:41 PM
Jul 2016
Jaeger07 said:
Sooo what is this difference between "ありがとう" and a regular "ありがとう" ?

The "ね" (romanji "ne" pronounced "neh") generally translates to "right" in this context. You'll often hear this when Japanese girls are talking with their friends as confirmation. One will say something and end it with ね (implied as a question) where their friends nearby will say ね with each other at the same time and elongated.
Mar 6, 2018 1:33 PM

Dec 2016
God this show is just so fucking sweet and nice!!! i luv it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 6, 2018 1:56 PM

Jul 2017
Ravinous said:
Jaeger07 said:
Sooo what is this difference between "ありがとう" and a regular "ありがとう" ?

The "ね" (romanji "ne" pronounced "neh") generally translates to "right" in this context. You'll often hear this when Japanese girls are talking with their friends as confirmation. One will say something and end it with ね (implied as a question) where their friends nearby will say ね with each other at the same time and elongated.

Google translate has arigatō with ne on the end as "thanks" where as arigatō is "thank you". Thanks is less formal in English, so I'm guessing the same in Japanese, so the meaning of friendship is ね!

Jaeger07 said:
Also this episode could've been done better if not for that awkward Kimari cry in the middle. What brought on to that? Being relatable with her and Megu-chan's situation?

Yes! In a way. In the bit where Mari talks about Megumi she says she always knows how Megumi is feeling (let's ignore the fact that she didn't for about 4 episodes :-p). Now right at the start of the episode when they're on the helicopter and Yuzuki is scared, Mari says something like "I bet you could die right now" (ie Yuzukis catchphrase) signifying that she knows what Yuzuki is feeling and thus they are already friends. Thus she is upset with Yuzuki producing a friendship contract because in her mind they're already friends ("you don't know, do you?), this is possibly mixed with sympathy at the fact that Yuzuki has had no true friends before so doesn't know how it works ("you can't know, can you?")

Also as Shirase points out over lunch, how would you feel if someone you liked couldn't trust you enough to be friends without having signed a piece of paper beforehand?

It took a rewatch after your question to spot all of it (I noticed the Yuzuki quote from Mari, but just thought it was friendly banter). Man that episode was much deeper than I thought after my first watch!
Mar 6, 2018 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
That final scene with Yuzuki’s birthday almost made me cry tears of joy. Yet another great episode. My Tuesdays won’t be the same when it’s over.
Mar 6, 2018 2:28 PM

Oct 2014
They're setting up for an ending, huh?

but wait... next (1/2) episode is a recap?
Mar 6, 2018 2:50 PM

Apr 2015
That ship and helicopter are just so nice too look at imo.

Mari's sleeptalking was priceless, she's so goofy!
They saw a penguin on Antartica. The way Shirase got so excited to see that penguin kinda reminded me of Jibril from NGNL.

Good development on Yuzuki this episode, being a young actress, with always a busy shedules, she didn't know the true meaning of friendship. I am glad that when Yuzu got surprised by the other three with the birthday cake, she has acknowledged them as friends. Very emotional moment.

Couldn't describe it better myself, never a dull moment with these girls!
Mar 6, 2018 3:33 PM

Feb 2007

Nothing more needs to be said, really.
Mar 6, 2018 4:26 PM

Oct 2015
Now Yuzu knows the meaning of friendship thanx to Kimari, but you can't blame her since being a child star and all. Good Christmas ep, loved Shirase and Hinata Christmas getup, I hope they become best friends forever.

But wasn't this trip part, about Shirase finding her mother? Because it seems like it's way forgotten by the girls.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 6, 2018 4:28 PM

Feb 2018
CeddyyBearr said:
They saw a penguin on Antartica. The way Shirase got so excited to see that penguin kinda reminded me of Jibril from NGNL.

Same thing I thought XD Shirase reminds me a lot of Jibril when it comes to penguins. She got excited just by seeing them at the museum in episode 3, she cried when seeing the documentary on the plane in episode 6... So seeing them in flesh must have been one of the happiest moments in her life XD
(Would probably be for me as well XD)
I just hope she doesn't see them bullying the baby seals or she will be heartbroken.
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Mar 6, 2018 4:33 PM

Sep 2013
Another fantastic episode. I might have been expecting a bit more once they finally arrived in Antarctica, but in a way, this seems much more suitable.
Mar 6, 2018 5:54 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
Yuzuki is so precious. Must protect.
Mar 6, 2018 7:00 PM

Mar 2014
Episode starts: I won't cry in this one.
Episode ends:
Mar 6, 2018 7:23 PM

Oct 2013
The base facilities are fascinating. It is cool to watch the crews about their various tasks. Yuzu is feeling insecure about her friendship with the other three, but they do love her, though she doubts at first.
Mar 6, 2018 9:56 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Lovely episode. Based on what Yuzuki said about friends, ibelieve friends have s deep connection
And also feel comfortable around each oher
Seeing the girls celebrate her birthday was sweet of them.:$

Mar 6, 2018 10:42 PM

Jul 2014

Hinata got a message from her old Track Team...Hinata episode next week?
Mar 6, 2018 10:51 PM

May 2015
"Defrosting. Touch it and you die." Lol good one!

Love how Shirase starts talking to Yuzuki, but then she stops and makes Hinata explain the rest. XD

This is the first time that Yuzu has ever celebrated her birthday with friends? Wow...that's sad...and she sneezes on the cake...

Aww...what a sweet way to show friendship. "Thanks."
Mar 6, 2018 11:06 PM

May 2017
Lol that friendship contract, Yuzu's so adorable

They handle the friendship melodrama well enough to make me teary a little but I thought it wasn't showed or failed to show how Yuzu finally accepted it like yeah she was touched by the cake and how they celebrated her birthday, her first birthday with friends but at the explanation of the friendship, it wasn't completely over yet, this drama gonna go back when they're back in Japan and has to go separate ways but yeah there's Line for that, still I don't think Yuzu finally truly understand it nor it waa implied well at the end of the episode, so yeah this ain't over

For me personally, like Shirase explained in Yuzu's apartment that they're just colleagues with similar goals and they just happens to know each other and they're not friends back in japan. Fast forward, now they realised they're already close to each others. That's friendship, it just happens

PS they won't be eating that cake now
LairucremMar 6, 2018 11:11 PM
Mar 7, 2018 12:31 AM

Oct 2008
Nice episode!
Everyone celebrated xmas and lots of food even if they're on Antarctica!
but this has a bit of emo drama about friendship which is a bit lame.
Penguins are cute!
4/5.

Mar 7, 2018 10:00 AM

Dec 2014

*filling the character count*
Mar 7, 2018 10:19 AM
Apr 2008
While this was a touching episode for certain, and I cried a little (it's difficult not to. every. single. episode.), I feel nonetheless that this was the weakest episode of the show so far. It's like the series was constantly going up and up with its themes, drama and direction, but this episode was completely out of this sequence. For me, it didn't add to Yuzu's character more than we already know about her.
And the ominous email from the last episode proved to be a trolling, essentially.

This is likely unpopular opinion, the episode seems to get overwhelmingly positive reactions, so I wonder, why did I perceive it the way I did...

With three episodes left, I'm sure they don't have the time to conclude Shirase's arc dramatically enough, in the sense of directing, so unfortunately it will be either a really weak ending (which would be devastating considering how strong the series was overall) or "to be continued" ending with the hope for the second season (I'm all for it).
DracusMar 7, 2018 10:28 AM
Mar 7, 2018 11:00 AM
Mar 2015
I thought that the girls did a good job explaining friendship to Yuzu
Mar 7, 2018 11:10 AM
Aug 2013
Dracus said:
While this was a touching episode for certain, and I cried a little (it's difficult not to. every. single. episode.), I feel nonetheless that this was the weakest episode of the show so far. It's like the series was constantly going up and up with its themes, drama and direction, but this episode was completely out of this sequence. For me, it didn't add to Yuzu's character more than we already know about her.
And the ominous email from the last episode proved to be a trolling, essentially.

This is likely unpopular opinion, the episode seems to get overwhelmingly positive reactions, so I wonder, why did I perceive it the way I did...

With three episodes left, I'm sure they don't have the time to conclude Shirase's arc dramatically enough, in the sense of directing, so unfortunately it will be either a really weak ending (which would be devastating considering how strong the series was overall) or "to be continued" ending with the hope for the second season (I'm all for it).

not very unpopular since i too didn't enjoy the episode as much as the others,but i don't think i have a reason why i didn't like it much, i mean i think it was to have episode about yuzuki, and the episode focused more on (what's the meaning of friendship) than on her,also the email isn't really a troll since all of the episode was built on it, the reason yuzuki was upset is because with the drama she won't have time to hang out with hwr friends
Mar 7, 2018 12:16 PM
Feb 2016
Yuzuki is the most adorable thing ever. Definitely the best or the second best episode in the series so far.
Mar 7, 2018 1:28 PM

Dec 2017
Shirase being Shirase but with this hat

Mar 7, 2018 3:43 PM
Oct 2017
Might be the 'weakest' episode so far (due to less comedy) . But still, Simply Lovely/10

Ps : how an earth i got missreading between "Shiraishi" and "Shirase".
This episode trolled us. They did it :"v
ValeYellow10thMar 7, 2018 3:51 PM
Mar 7, 2018 6:07 PM

Jul 2015
WERE FINALLY HERE. T H E Y D I D I T B O I S !

This episode hit the feels again, as the girls have really never sat down and discussed their feelings towards each other. I liked it.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Mar 7, 2018 7:39 PM

May 2015
Damn, I cried again.

Mar 7, 2018 11:38 PM
Jan 2017
Another amazing episode, many happy feels.
It was nice they brought back Megumi as an example of a type of friendship.
Mar 8, 2018 3:34 AM
Sep 2017
Yuzuki is sooo.. KAWAII in this episode. if only anime Grills are real...

Mar 8, 2018 3:58 AM

Nov 2011
Shirase's love for Penguins is hilarious. "It's coming right for us!" "PENGUIN!!!" Lol so good.

Nice episode. Shirase in that Santa outfit though. <3
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 8, 2018 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
I am satisfied with the episode. I do not find it superfluous to talk about a topic that has had its repercussions on the protagonists, making them grow and closing the question in a perfect way, leaving nothing pending. Each character reacts in his own way and they are still little girls, I do not see any mistake if one of them can cry. Overall, the episode was a lot of fun and enjoyable to follow.
Mar 8, 2018 2:26 PM

Oct 2010
I'm a little bit on the negative side this week, like some have said. With this show I always have high standards, so to say that I didn't enjoy this episode as much isn't that much of a criticism, but in this case I think it has been my second least favorite of the season (my least favorite is episode 1). And yeah, still at the very least a low 4/5 and etc.

My problem with the episode is not specifically the conflict, but the timing. It feels off. I mean, they just arrived to the Antarctica, they are discovering the environment... and yet, somehow thanks to Yuzuki's plot, there is not enough of a tangible sense of discovery in it. I understand that Yuzu has these issues, but it's the focus of the narrative what went a little wrong because the whole arrival of the girls to this new place felt bland, and they didn't capture what was so special about it. After all, the series is built around the idea of adventure and discovery, and yes, friendship and ties are extremely relevant but so are the former and this time they weren't successfully transmitted.

I have some other minor issues, though. While Yuzuki's conflict was fine and it brought a tearjerking conclusion (as usual with this show xD), I feel that it didn't fully capture the group dynamics other personal conflicts have. Like, it was way too focused on the specific relationship between Yuzuki and Kimari, and both Hinata and Shirase felt like companions, like they were just there. On the other hand the visuals were kinda... off. Like I saw some creative camera angles here and there but I didn't perceive a strong communicative effect in them and they felt sort of irrelevant. Due to how well the show usually performs in this, I was surprised by how ineffective the framing was at conveying something by itself. Probably a side effect of not feeling the overall emotions of the episode too much due to other circumstances though.
jal90Mar 8, 2018 3:21 PM
Mar 8, 2018 4:15 PM

Feb 2018
jal90 said:
My problem with the episode is not specifically the conflict, but the timing. It feels off. I mean, they just arrived to the Antarctica, they are discovering the environment... and yet, somehow thanks to Yuzuki's plot, there is not enough of a tangible sense of discovery in it. I understand that Yuzu has these issues, but it's the focus of the narrative what went a little wrong because the whole arrival of the girls to this new place felt bland, and they didn't capture what was so special about it. After all, the series is built around the idea of adventure and discovery, and yes, friendship and ties are extremely relevant but so are the former and this time they weren't successfully transmitted.

Even though I loved the episode, I had a similar feeling. Somehow, the end of the previous episode felt much more powerful than now that they've actually arrived at their destination. Even so, I think there is a beautiful significance in Yuzu celebrating her first birthday with friends here, in the place that united them on this common dream.
Mar 8, 2018 4:28 PM

Oct 2010
AbeldeMedici said:
jal90 said:

Even though I loved the episode, I had a similar feeling. Somehow, the end of the previous episode felt much more powerful than now that they've actually arrived at their destination. Even so, I think there is a beautiful significance in Yuzu celebrating her first birthday with friends here, in the place that united them on this common dream.

Absolutely agreed (with the significance of Yuzu's birthday as well, of course, the show got me teary-eyed AGAIN). Last episode, and its conclusion, were really something. And I think it made a better job than this one at tying the emotional conflict with the adventurous mood, they actually felt part of the same narrative continuum and it was wonderful. This, along with some further focus on the environment, is what I think I missed here.
Mar 9, 2018 12:33 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode. I love how its all about Yuzu and her concern on if she's really friends with the rest of the girls. Such warm and happy feels.

Am looking forward to the next episode.
Mar 9, 2018 3:51 AM

Oct 2007
Another good episode... must have been really a sad life for Yuzuki-chan... so this is the first time friends celebrated her birthday. Nice to see that she really is happy when seeing the cake they made for her. No need for the "friendship contract" because they are already friends. ^^

Mar 9, 2018 10:39 AM

May 2015
Some people really like to nitpick...

Mar 9, 2018 3:37 PM

Apr 2016
Kittens-kun said:
Damn, I cried again.

Me as well T_T

<char limit>
Mar 9, 2018 8:44 PM
Apr 2017
So many precious moments in this episode alone, let it be comedies, touching, happiness

Love this show
Mar 10, 2018 7:12 PM

Sep 2013
When Mari was describing her best friend it hit right home, I tought she was talking about my best friend, not responding right away, but always knowing he reads them. I jus find myself loving this anime more and more.
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
FAL SPRING 2019 Rank 650 FAL FALL 2019 Rank 136
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.