Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 6, 2018 2:14 PM
Jul 2016
After what happened with Record of Lodoss War, I can see why they would want to get this one moving quickly as they didn't get to finish their last project how they wanted. I like they cut past the bullshit and got right into it.

Has anyone looked at the "reviews" by the way? After ONE episode.. Jesus, they should block reviews until half way through the show. That AND rating in my opinion. When you have some idiot review and give a 2/10 and say they can tell it's shit and won't get any better is ridiculous. Same even if someone was giving 9 and 10s. At best or worst I could see saying between 5-7 and saying either you simply liked or disliked the first episode. I rated a 7 and will update as I go. But that shit bothers me.
Jan 6, 2018 3:18 PM

Jan 2014
Felt so cliche and generic.. Even the way he defeated the monster that was supposedly much stronger than he is. It is only episode 1 and it does look like it has potential, hopefully it improves.
Jan 6, 2018 3:54 PM

Jul 2015
This is... pretty weak actually. I can see why this is currently sitting under a 7. Not really feelin the chaos they keep talking about, it all feels kind of slow and boring, it also seems kind of lifeless, it's just weak compared to what I'm used to. Not really even interested. Guess I'll see where the next episode or two go, but I'm probably gonna drop this.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 6, 2018 8:24 PM

Mar 2009
I like Siluca *shrugs*

Not a fan of Theo though.
Jan 6, 2018 8:28 PM

Jul 2011
An actual high fantasy series. It's been a while!!

This was really enjoyable, it might end up a sleeper hit for me.
Jan 6, 2018 11:29 PM

Jan 2011
whole time i was just trying to figure how her coat works like i know it's just being held up by magic but like does she wear it ? is it just to look cool floating behind her.

i want this to be good but i dunno ,the castle scene felt like some sorta of tutorial out of a RPG lol

this suureee felt like a Friday show that's for sure
Jan 6, 2018 11:39 PM

Mar 2016
I like the Beginning it was epic, now it I can clearly picture what happened in the manga, so far it's loyal to the Plot (Manga Wise since I don't read the Novel)

DuoraDoll said:
This is... pretty weak actually. I can see why this is currently sitting under a 7. Not really feelin the chaos they keep talking about, it all feels kind of slow and boring, it also seems kind of lifeless, it's just weak compared to what I'm used to. Not really even interested. Guess I'll see where the next episode or two go, but I'm probably gonna drop this.

I agree, would've be been better if they didn't forget the non-readers since their only target are the fans who reads the story. But if you're not into slow stuff and complicated then better drop it since it's kinda boring for general audiences since the target of this anime are those who likes Politics and War Stuffs

Whoahoho said:

Siluca inda looks like a whore in her outfit

Well you have to noticed the smallest details like how she commented that she disliked her outfit

ToppyS2 said:
Felt so cliche and generic.. Even the way he defeated the monster that was supposedly much stronger than he is. It is only episode 1 and it does look like it has potential, hopefully it improves.

He was just lucky if you've noticed how he defeated the monster, and it's actually a technique to defeat wild monsters like Bear(source: Golden Kamuy), but rather than cliche, it's kinda chaotic for its massive info dump(not for the readers like me though)

youseikiJan 6, 2018 11:47 PM
Jan 7, 2018 12:51 AM
Mar 2012
Pacing's rather fast. Already two countries, some arranged marriage politics, demon core, chamberlain, viscount, mage, lord, knight... running up a political ladder?
Manipulative female mc is unusual, and if focus on politics/war tactics could go beyond the usual A1 fantasy..
Oh trees & vfx look nice...
Jan 7, 2018 12:57 AM
Sep 2011
AdrianRubinsky said:
The plot is all over the place. I can't quite follow what is happening.

What is this chaos, the demon lord, the assassination... why those two are allies out of nowhere and now have a domain?

I'm sorry but I haven't read the manga and it was all easy to follow.

Chaos for some reason or another allows demons to enter causing natural disasters and other phenomena.

there was going to be an alliance between 2 opposing countries/kingdoms/groups of city-states? (idk whatever) but after the assassination it failed.

fast forward to however many years later and we have the current story line.
Siluca forced herself onto Theo. He literally says that. He was impressed by her so he allowed.

The animation is decent. The voices seemed to fit the characters.
considering this is a first episode nothing is standing out to criticize. We'll see how it goes.

on to the other shows that started today. :)
Silver_VixenJan 7, 2018 1:04 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MrsRoyMustang&sclick=1]
Jan 7, 2018 1:02 AM

Mar 2016
gophercg said:
Pacing's rather fast. Already two countries, some arranged marriage politics, demon core, chamberlain, viscount, mage, lord, knight... running up a political ladder?
Manipulative female mc is unusual, and if focus on politics/war tactics could go beyond the usual A1 fantasy..
Oh trees & vfx look nice...

The Audience target are the readers (which makes the story confusing to non-readers, though I'm only reading the Manga) They've crammed too much information without introducing the world and its world building
Manipulative, badass and reliable female character is quite rare these days
Well A1 might be able to pull it off considering the Director of it was the same director of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Jan 7, 2018 1:14 AM

Feb 2015
The current score is way too harsh. It's only the 1st episode ffs. I don't know why people rate shows after one episode anyway.
Jan 7, 2018 1:18 AM
Jun 2017
Nice one for its first episode... some fight scenes already shown here...
Jan 7, 2018 4:35 AM

May 2009
So many anime elitists, everything is generic for them. Maybe it's time to find new hobby?
changmakie said:
The manga art is very pretty and since it's seinen there's no dense male MC nonsense when it comes to his girls.

Seinen only means it's published in seinen magazine, it has nothing to do with plot or characters.
Whoahoho said:

Did you read what she said? She was going to be contracted with lord who orders his female mages to wear such outfits.
bastek66Jan 7, 2018 7:02 AM
Jan 7, 2018 5:28 AM
Apr 2016
youseiki said:
I like the Beginning it was epic, now it I can clearly picture what happened in the manga, so far it's loyal to the Plot (Manga Wise since I don't read the Novel)

DuoraDoll said:

I agree, would've be been better if they didn't forget the non-readers since their only target are the fans who reads the story. But if you're not into slow stuff and complicated then better drop it since it's kinda boring for general audiences since the target of this anime are those who likes Politics and War Stuffs

Whoahoho said:

Well you have to noticed the smallest details like how she commented that she disliked her outfit

ToppyS2 said:

He was just lucky if you've noticed how he defeated the monster, and it's actually a technique to defeat wild monsters like Bear(source: Golden Kamuy), but rather than cliche, it's kinda chaotic for its massive info dump(not for the readers like me though)

I have no idea how being a "non-reader" is a disadvantage against "readers". What, you are feeling elitist because you have read still pictures? Well, I am reading them moving, and I do not see a single thing that a connoisseur or at least an educated viewer can't fathom about this series. This is "too fast" for someone? Then he is simply extra-slow.
I want an animation viewers only section now. Ugh, this pseudo-elitism, gotta go clean it off myself...
Re:formed
Jan 7, 2018 6:00 AM

Jul 2014
Whoahoho said:

She disses the outfit and yet she use it to distract the soldiers and then proceed to wear it for the rest of the episode and probably the rest of the series... hah!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining lol. Siluca certainly has a personality and at the moment she's the reason to watch this show beside this being the work of the great Lodoss War creator. I hope the rest of the characters, the world building (seems interesting) and the action can catch up later on.
Jan 7, 2018 6:37 AM

Apr 2015
There are shows that appeal to me and those that don't, and for some reason I can't put my finger on, this just doesn't. Not sure why, it just...doesn't.
Jan 7, 2018 8:10 AM

Aug 2008
moodie said:
Antanaru said:
Truth to be told, I wasn't paying attention to the opening info dump. Why did the apparently powerful mage made a servitude pact with some rookie nobody she just met?
Uhh you really need this spoonfed to you? It is pretty fucking obvious with a lil thinking power.
Maybe for you. When you're not a moron you start to question flawed reasoning and dumb decisions of other people. Even when they are fictional characters in a rushed episode with poor setting.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 7, 2018 9:06 AM

Apr 2009
Possibly the blandest of the lot I have seen so far in this season. Nothing promising in first episode, characters are flat and lack lustre, animation leaves much to be desired and starting story is all over the place. Feels like a cookie cutter medieval type of anime that didn’t give me any reason to even finish the first episode till the end, I stopped five minutes short of end. Definitely not for me, but I can see why people could like it.
Jan 7, 2018 9:13 AM

Jul 2017
Lol at people writing full reviews after the very first episode. Pretty stupid of them if you ask me. At least wait until a few episodes have come before making a review.
Jan 7, 2018 9:38 AM

Mar 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:

I have no idea how being a "non-reader" is a disadvantage against "readers". What, you are feeling elitist because you have read still pictures?

I'm not talking about elitism, just no, I'm talking about the "appealing" side of it to many viewers, personally I still find the anime rushed, but it was clearly targeting the readers who just want an anime adaptation. Just look how bad the rating is (6.88, a very low score) and the score of this episode alone (it's 3/5) it was clearly not appealing to many people at all.
Jan 7, 2018 12:49 PM
Dec 2015
I feel like this show is decent and will hopefully get better as it continues. Feel like some elements for this first episode were just thrown in randomly as an introduction. Like I feel that Theo and Siluca create their contract a bit too quickly - like how is he able to trust her so much already? Also many characters mentioned that will eventually or hopefully be presented as a grand scale of the story. I also find the characters a bit generic in their direction and design. Great Animation though!

6/10 for this first episode
Jan 7, 2018 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
pretty generic but it was okay
Jan 7, 2018 3:45 PM

May 2013
It has a lot more potential than I initially thought of it. The art and music is really nice.
The beginning did have me a little worried. I don't get why Siluca stopped her and I feel like they could have shown any ounce of fear from the crowd when heads were being chopped, but I do like the magic and I feel like their goal of the episode was more to teach you what you need to know about the world rather than provoking emotions, so I'm definitely going to give it another few episodes.
Jan 7, 2018 4:22 PM
Jan 2013
Swagernator said:
Oh yeah, right, this is one of "those" shows.
dont whatch it then
Jan 7, 2018 4:24 PM
Jan 2013
Lucky96u said:
Generic plot, generic characters, bad pacing, generic systematic introduction, not daring.
This could make for a somewhat enjoyable game, but as an anime? I'm not playing so why would I care about generic fantasy setting n°422? I can't even begin to get invested in a character that litterally tells his past, motives and goals the very moment he appears, which btw was such a bland way to introduce his character that I can't remember well what his character is doing, something something demons something sistina and I just finished watching it, I seriously couldn't care less... I'm not saying this is bad, but it shows no potential whatsoever as a decent anime series. Only good point is that main character, Theo I think it was, actually made his crest and equipment by himself.

Also animations are having hiccups or something, I saw an elephant walking very weirdly at the completely pointless introductive part, as well as fights looking like they're in slowmo as if that makes it easier to understand what's going on, which only makes the fact that the animators appearently have no idea how swordsmanship works even more noticeable.

As FukGoBack already said, Siluca is appearently set to only exist with main character, as everything she is, does, likes, dislikes, and her individuality as a whole were given completely up the moment she said "I want to see what he can do", and even after Theo pulled off a barely decent fight she decided "yep, that's it, I don't need my own character".

And one more thing, what the heck is wrong with that Lord that was kicked out? Are we supposed to assume he's a lord just because he's got a mantle? Because he totally looked like any other peasant. Oh, right, generic is the keyword here.

Dont watch it then , stop whinning
Jan 7, 2018 4:25 PM
Jan 2013
GangsterCat said:
Generic: The Animation
just like Grandblue
dropped, friday is awful this season

you like Cross Ange , your opinion does not count
Jan 7, 2018 4:27 PM

Apr 2017
Been waiting for this show for quite some time. The world and the characters seemed cool and interesting.

But damn this was kind of disappointing. It was really rushed, and the animation was really wierd. Theo's first fighting scene was really awkward to watch.

But still, I have high hopes for this show.
"Goodbye, everyone. I'll remember you all in therapy." Matou Sakura, Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel
Jan 7, 2018 5:47 PM

May 2011
Axelucard said:
pretty generic but it was okay

Yeah, I'll give it a whorl. Seems like a clone story though.
Jan 7, 2018 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
Decent enough episode that I'll keep watching for now. Wasn't the most amazing first episode, but it wasn't Black Clover levels of bad either.
Jan 7, 2018 7:41 PM

Jul 2009
AdrianRubinsky said:

What is this chaos, the demon lord, the assassination... why those two are allies out of nowhere and now have a domain?

This is true but I'm sure it will all be explained later. I, for one think it was a pretty good episode. Didn't seem nearly as generic as I expected. I mean nothing "new" or special happened to make this noteworthy but I don't know, I'm getting a good vibe so far.

That princess sucks tho. I'm still trying to figure out why they broke off the wedding/union thing after their parents died...I don't think that's what they would've wanted.
Jan 7, 2018 7:48 PM

Nov 2015
I was really looking forward to this, but it doesn't look like it's going to be anything other than mediocre. Siluca is a nice female lead, Theo seems a bit dull but I'll wait. It reminds me of a JRPG, with how the crests works.

A lot has happened in the first episode, so hopefully this isn't the pacing for the entire show. I'd like to see some better battle scenes, and is this going to be a romance? Art is... pretty but could be better, and sound seems okay.

I'll watch more of it for now, hopefully it picks up.
Jan 7, 2018 8:11 PM
Jan 2018
Another series with bad male protagonist. Dropped.

Mentar said:
Amazing how some people manage to completely figure out a character after 1 episode :)

Of course it's all BS. Siluca is a fairly multilayered character, as the story will show.

Not sure about Siluca but for Theo, one episode is enough to figure out he is boring and generic protagonist.
SoroArugaJan 7, 2018 8:16 PM
Jan 8, 2018 12:24 AM

Jan 2009
GreenEmu said:
Lol at people writing full reviews after the very first episode. Pretty stupid of them if you ask me. At least wait until a few episodes have come before making a review.

Yup.

I mean, it's fine to realize "nope, this show isn't for me" and stop watching after a short time - I do the same all the time. But going and writing a "full review" dissing the show after 1 episode is Trump-level stupid. Especially when most of the conjectures in it are factually wrong.

Then again, it's better to let the oblivious know-it-all-after-5-minutes run off to greener pastures, and to discuss the show once you're down to the fans.
Jan 8, 2018 10:32 AM
Jan 2018
It's like Black Clover though it was have a minus point on the graphic, on the top of it..I'm still vote 5 for this
Jan 8, 2018 1:41 PM
Dec 2016
Just what, no explanation what so ever of what everything in this shithole is, The animation was really bad, some soldiers i can assume, with a morale as low as a fly's.

Some still-frames where kinda good, but removing that, at max a 5 or 6 score for me.

Dropped
Jan 8, 2018 2:48 PM

Sep 2012
I was looking forward to this. What happened? Why is everything so rushed? 6/10 so far.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Jan 8, 2018 5:27 PM

Sep 2015
I wonder if the producers even watched their own anime. This was horribly crap. Seriously WTF!?!?!?!
The first scene already turns out to be the biggest clusterF and it was just the first FIVE minutes... I don't expect them to introduce everything off the bat but at least give us a damn clue as to what is going on.
So a political marriage to end some war. Yay. A monster appears. WTH like why? What is it?
Why was there even war in the first place. I expect this to be answered at least later so its fine but at least tell us WTF that was and give us the required context to understand the situation. Also the hype on those two old guys presumably the best mages? Died seriously? That's a high bar for our main characters to overcome. Pretty unrealistic.

No one's surprised either... Why does a monster appearing cancels the marriage and resumes war? Can't they wait for another day? Why does a demon appearing have to stop peace negotiations? This NEEDS to be answered on the first episode. If the premise is that the war continues, then it needs to be explained why the negotiations failed. Or just not have the negotiations at all!

Then the fight, seriously. -_-
Most stupid fight I ever seen, the redshirts just ran in on knight-kun one on one. You surrounded him... So attack him at the same time! Incompetence. Also why did he LET THEM surround him!? It's giving me cancer -_-
Also they made a contract after less than an hour of conversation? How can she trust he's not lying about his intention!? Also that monster looks weak AF, a few trained spearmen can kill that thing. Also its that easy just to take a settlement? Really? Mages better be that powerful to just scare off a count without even summoning his army. So much for stability, if local lords can't even secure their own land, why even pay fealty to them? If they are going to use a feudal system, they need to have it work.

Also WTF is the "alliance" how many countries are in that? What are the countries in that? What is the actual name other than "alliance"? Also federation? Federation does not work with the feudal system they showed. Considering the count they just took over is part of the 'Federation' it begs to question why a Federation have lords owning entire settlements in the first place.
Such lazy naming, didn't even bother making up a random name for the country. Just called it Federation and Alliance, seriously? Lazy naming and randomly picked some buzzwords as names. Put some effort to world building please?

I might still watch it... I like looking at alternate worlds but this is just $hat. This is below generic, a poorly executed generic show. At least a generic show makes sense. This doesn't, its all over the place.

Now for the good part I guess. Or anything that didn't outright suck.
Seluca is probably the most interesting character, everyone else is bland. Seluca still feels pretty typical though. The art is alright, not the best but not bad. Music is average, nothing noteworthy and surely didn't build the atmosphere. It also didn't standout since I didn't even notice there was soundtrack.
zcv45Jan 8, 2018 5:38 PM
Jan 9, 2018 9:54 AM

Jun 2015
Really generic start, but lets not be harsh, it might become better later
Jan 9, 2018 10:16 AM
Jul 2016
Great show. Always loved fantasy. It's gives vibe of animes like one piece. Gathering a group. Going on adventures. Seeking your dream. It's Cool. Looking forward to it
Jan 9, 2018 3:03 PM

Jul 2010
I liked it. It looks like it's trash, but I liked it. I'm looking forward to more episodes. Looks like this is going to be something that is just brain dead action, just what I need this season.
Jan 9, 2018 7:35 PM

Oct 2013
GreenEmu said:
Well at least it's just a regular old fantasy and not another shitty isekai where some japanese loser who gets transported to a fantasy world and immediately gains a harem of 10/10 girls, so I'll give it points for that.

^LOL this so much. With so much isekai running around lately, I'd rather have the standard fantasy anime(even though there's plenty of those as well). Everyone who watches these tend to know what to expect anyway, and whether it's enjoyable or just plan trash usually depends on the chemistry between the leads, and their personalities.

Konosuba's the exception though ^_^
Jan 9, 2018 11:40 PM
Mar 2017
Well.. I saw the first manga chapter and what i understood is: Siluca is going to form a contract with a pervert but she don't want this and form a contract with the MC right?
So why you guys hated the Main Character for this?
YlkaidJan 9, 2018 11:45 PM
Jan 10, 2018 2:23 AM

Jan 2016
OGAnime said:
Is there romance? Feels like it will happen but it doesn’t have the romance tag.

Also wished that the female MC had bigger chest. Doesn’t have to be huge but god damn, she more flat than my floor despite being pretty...

There is romance, sooner than you expect.

EDIT: after reading through the discussion, I'm pretty fucking surprised at how many people don't understand the story. Do you people really love to be spoonfed? Jeez, how old are you. Just think for a bit. Do people only watch the animation without reading the subs?
forexjammerJan 10, 2018 2:30 AM
Jan 10, 2018 2:36 AM
Sadist

Jun 2016
GrapeEyedOne said:
Ranxomare said:
After watching the first episode, i am a little disappointed, not for the story/plot, that is near to the manga, it was for the animation style/quality, poor that i expect!!!
Shine and Dark, and a miraculous power to be great....??
The animation and direction was great, much better than most A-1 Fantasy anime. There wasn't any crazy sakuga moments but it definitely looked good.

The directors up and coming at the moment. Basically a genius, so its safe to expect very prudent direction.. Problem is literally everything else.. In particular writing.
Jan 10, 2018 11:29 AM

Dec 2015
Stark700 said:

They adapted Siluca's character in the way I had expected to

Where did you find the books?! (or rather "Did you read it in something else than japanese?")
Jan 10, 2018 4:33 PM

Jun 2012
AdrianRubinsky said:

Yeah I'm going with this too. Nothing made sense and they simply treated like it did... The MC looked more like a secondary character I even thought at some point that the MC was the white hair dude lol to that. And everything happened to the convenience of the MC without him doing nothing at all besides killing a beast by shear luck. Oh and the girl is supposed to be a badass mage? Till now she just seems like a arrogant mage that has been pretty much useless since a demon started killing the two lords.
SnaitaJan 10, 2018 5:02 PM
Jan 11, 2018 12:36 PM
Sep 2017
Should I say there wasn't much detail in this first episode
Felt a little bit rushed with the whole war, crest, contract and all, bit surprising as seeing Siluca forming a contract with theo....I'm like wahhh??? What exactly does she see in him and all.....
No background info yet on theo and several characters
Well this episode didn't really tell much
Character design is alright not bad.... Well hoping there will be a bit of romance btw them
Jan 11, 2018 4:00 PM
Jan 2017
Reminded me a lot of Camelot/Arthurian Legend.

In Camelot, they throw a bunch of shit on you in just the first episode but it helps if you already knew Arthurian Legend a tiny bit. I think it ends the first episode with Arthur getting his castle as well.

Merlin (Siluca) is a powerful mage whom seeks to create a utopia in Arthur's (Theo) vision. It is a bit overdone but Japan being obsessed with English folklore gives some context to why many might find this "bland". Or, I'm reaching lol.

Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode but it wasn't super confusing. That said, it failed to define the culture, society or the reasoning behind the conflict at least a tiny bit. Hopefully, they do a better job at giving the viewer a reason to care for what's happening.

I don't think this should ranked low until a few more episodes though.
Jan 12, 2018 5:08 AM

Sep 2014
Slutica is a bit interesting I guess, but the protagonist and rest of the feel really generic even for a generic show such as this one.
Jan 12, 2018 9:23 AM

Sep 2011
This went all over the place. Each character felt like they had multiple personalities and conflicting ambitions.

From this episode alone it doesn't feel like the series is going to offer us anything new other than a female lead who isn't a damsel in distress.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2018

489 by DesolatePsyche »»
Mar 26, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

146 by Leniam »»
Feb 27, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

61 by nick_el_son »»
Feb 24, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 22 Discussion

Icedout15 - Oct 25, 2018

5 by phantom346 »»
Feb 3, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 24 Discussion

ToG25thBaam - Aug 8, 2018

37 by Princesanatankum »»
Jan 29, 5:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.