Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Grancrest Senki Episode 24 Discussion


#1
Aug 8, 2018 2:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12875
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
episode's been garbo from ep20 onwards (cept for Lassic vs Cyclops and Priscilla's final moment), Marrine's reasoning and redemption pretty much rendered the entire series pointless, could've prevented shit loads if she didn't just decide by herself they needed to go to war. Pretty sweet ending and epilogue but felt somewhat hollow. Couldn't really enjoy the last few episodes, unfortunately.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
 
#2
Aug 8, 2018 6:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 504
This series really suits my taste especially "western" fantasy vibe like GOT with a great mixup of fantasy, war, politic, and romance, i also been expecting it since i watch the screening.
as i can see, the actual greatness seems to end in ep 19, for ep 20 onwards it feels like somewhat rushed and leaving few things in obscurity, fortunately the last episode especially epilogue and ending brought another wonderful moment ( for me, since i really shipping TheoxSiluca pair so much since 1st episode).

since i personally loved this series so much, 10/10 for me. all hail TheoXSiluca XD
Modified by r16fourarm, Aug 8, 2018 6:25 AM
 
#3
Aug 8, 2018 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 367
The final episode of this show was honestly my favorite finale of any show this season, it wrapped up the story as nicely as it possibly could. There were a few unresolved plot threads that they managed to sweep under the rug for the sake of a picture perfect finish.

Everything that was resolve was done so with incredible panache, the storyboards and animation of the final battle against the vampires, the double wedding, the perfect world peace ending the main characters were fighting for was perfectly capped of with the double rainbow!!

Absolutely fantastic.

r16fourarm said:
This series really suits my taste especially "western" fantasy vibe like GOT with a great mixup of fantasy, war, politic, and romance, i also been expecting it since i watch the screening.
as i can see, the actual greatness seems to end in ep 19, for ep 20 onwards it feels like somewhat rushed and leaving few things in obscurity, fortunately the last episode especially epilogue and ending brought another wonderful moment ( for me, since i really shipping TheoxSiluca pair so much since 1st episode).

since i personally loved this series so much, 10/10 for me. all hail TheoXSiluca XD

A fellow man of taste I see ;)
 
#4
Aug 8, 2018 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3793
I'm going to copy and paste what I thought after the ending. I wrote this months ago.

First half is very bad, the second is a bit better. A lot of plot armor, stupid enemies and shitty writing. Marrine deserves all the hate. The ending feels like your generic 'happy ending'. I don't like this anime. 2/5 for the episode. 3/10 for the anime.
Life has no meaning.
 
#5
Aug 11, 2018 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
Nurguburu said:
I'm going to copy and paste what I thought after the ending. I wrote this months ago.

First half is very bad, the second is a bit better. A lot of plot armor, stupid enemies and shitty writing. Marrine deserves all the hate. The ending feels like your generic 'happy ending'. I don't like this anime. 2/5 for the episode. 3/10 for the anime.


Well, I absolutely loved that "generic happy ending", so don't think that most people will share your opinion. In fact, am I not even sure what is so generic about it. It's been ages since I have seen anything like it in the seasonal anime. I should not be surprised really, since most of them have teenagers as the whole cast. Wedding endings in particular are nowhere to be found.

All in all, this show was anything but generic. Actually mature and realistic characters when in 95% of the shows you get teenagers and/or harems....

Regarding the last episode itself, Theo's speech in particular was a very cool scene. You could really see how much he has grown as a person from the very beginning, but at the same time you can also say that he had the least amount of growth, since his ideals were already pretty complete from the very start.

He also never made any wrong steps, not even in the end, when he kept looking at his goal of returning to Sistina, so much that he had no qualms about abdicating after completing his other goal of eradicating the Chaos.
Modified by bestkatalyn, Aug 11, 2018 6:54 PM
 
#6
Aug 12, 2018 1:23 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2576
bestkatalyn said:
Nurguburu said:
I'm going to copy and paste what I thought after the ending. I wrote this months ago.

First half is very bad, the second is a bit better. A lot of plot armor, stupid enemies and shitty writing. Marrine deserves all the hate. The ending feels like your generic 'happy ending'. I don't like this anime. 2/5 for the episode. 3/10 for the anime.


Well, I absolutely loved that "generic happy ending", so don't think that most people will share your opinion. In fact, am I not even sure what is so generic about it. It's been ages since I have seen anything like it in the seasonal anime. I should not be surprised really, since most of them have teenagers as the whole cast. Wedding endings in particular are nowhere to be found.

All in all, this show was anything but generic. Actually mature and realistic characters when in 95% of the shows you get teenagers and/or harems....

Regarding the last episode itself, Theo's speech in particular was a very cool scene. You could really see how much he has grown as a person from the very beginning, but at the same time you can also say that he had the least amount of growth, since his ideals were already pretty complete from the very start.

He also never made any wrong steps, not even in the end, when he kept looking at his goal of returning to Sistina, so much that he had no qualms about abdicating after completing his other goal of eradicating the Chaos.


Gotta agree with you.
This is an happy ending made right, overall the series had alot of pacing problems, lots of wasted potential.
8.4/10 = 8

But it also had alot of heart IMO, really want all the more to read the full work now to better experience it all.
Final episodes got really good thought, and this conclusion really made the series leave me with a very sweet and harming taste, rather than most of the sour shitty endings nowadays.
 
#7
Aug 18, 2018 9:10 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 678
Oh, I do not believe this show really is over, I'm going to miss it so much! One of the best of the winter / spring season. I am happy to have followed this love story between Theo and Siluca, their development was so good, the double wedding was very cool too, Siluca's dress and hair were beautiful and beautiful too. The evolution as lord and as commander was really good, of course I
will never forget the most respectful couple, Villar and Margaret, died with honor, fighting to the last breath, resting in peace, Alexis showed us that he
can be serious at times, and a real strategist and artist, Marrine finally married with his beloved man, after what she did. And, dont forget about Priscila,
she did everything to help Theo journey.

The plot was really nice, i am happy that i could meet this character of all entire anime.

The Art and animation fitted me perfectly, OPs and EDs will go definetly mark and remember all about this show.
 
#8
Oct 3, 2018 11:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1834
this happy ending actually satisfy me.

so technically the era went back from futuristic to the stone age of barbarian style, it's like Shingeki no Kyojin plot combined with GoT plot all along.

I was waiting for all crest to merge into one big grancrest, too bad the didn't animate it, they skipped it instead. damn

i feel bad for Sir Balgary, did he died or dissapear back to his world? I hope it's the latter.
 
#9
Nov 9, 2018 1:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 4105
Dat heart.
We Wolf's Rain now. STRAY!
Dat light.
Priscilla.
He seppuku'd.
3 years later.
They having a double wedding. lol
The BlazBlue.
Cait Sith disappeared.
Priscilla.
Dat ending.

Holy crap! I finally finished this. I'll miss my #1 and #2 waifu Margaret and Colleen. They were too fine to die. I'll miss you so much.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
 
Nov 11, 2018 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 266
felt a bit too much of 'arslan sengki'. a group of people can easily topple everything else. and of course the instant peace without resolve between the warring nations (before the academy showed up) leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
 
Nov 28, 2018 2:54 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1335
Just finished this mere moments ago. Went in with low expectations with Record of Grancrest War, after finishing Record of Lodoss War : Chronicle of Knight....and was pleasantly amused. The author's writing in this series is definitely a massive step up from the Lodoss series.

This was surprisingly a very decent ending to the series. The show overall felt quite rushed so the viewer might be fooled into thinking everything happens at a breakneck speed or "instantly" (which is not really the case now that I think about it). Maybe this could have used 26 episodes to flesh out a few more of the character developments but the show felt good enough in that department, considering the large cast.

To be honest, it felt like it was a part of a larger universe. I'm half wishing that I should waited for the bluray release (and or an English dub) for some extra polish in the animation during some of the epic fight scenes and dialogues.
Modified by KreatorX, Nov 28, 2018 2:57 PM
'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing. She can understand everything, even if you don't explain it to her'
 
Jan 14, 4:28 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 5
who is that chick at 21:16 of the clip?
 
Jan 23, 2:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 297
ToG25thBaam said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
episode's been garbo from ep20 onwards (cept for Lassic vs Cyclops and Priscilla's final moment), Marrine's reasoning and redemption pretty much rendered the entire series pointless, could've prevented shit loads if she didn't just decide by herself they needed to go to war. Pretty sweet ending and epilogue but felt somewhat hollow. Couldn't really enjoy the last few episodes, unfortunately.


I totally agree with this assessment; Lassic, for all his reluctance to take front and center, really showed his mettle in his final fight scene. Loved it.

Priscilla's sacrifice was a tear jerker and I wasn't ready. But the results that followed were beautifully done.

IMO - Marinne could have disappeared with the rest of the chaos. I've disliked her since the Villar Constance/Magaret episode.

The wolf tribe has suffered too many atrocities.

Pretty decent ending; I enjoyed seeing Siluca and Theo together at the end; Not sure what Aishela's deal was; she should have hooked up with Irvin.
 
Jan 31, 6:15 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 186
Bit of a jumbled mess near the end, but I enjoyed the mostly successful attempt by the series to have a multi-sided "epic war" feel, which most anime fail at miserably.

Ticking off the purity-taku trash was a big plus. More series should include characters like Marrine.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
 
Apr 4, 11:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 27
Just finished, it the series plot kinda feels stupid since everything was resolved / packed in the last couple episodes but the conclusion / epilogue kind of made it enjoyable to watch.
 
Apr 13, 6:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 65
They were leaning on the Romeo and Juliet thing pretty hard for Alexis and Marrine, it shouldn't have been an 'happily ever after' ending for them, especially because of Marrine's dumb reasons for war and all her war crime-ing.

For me a perfect ending to their story would have been Alexis sneaking into Marrine's camp to see her and start to win her back, only for Milza to kill him before he does.
Fortunately Alexis had already given his crest to Theo, Marrine would realize how retarded everything she was doing is and kills herself rather than live without Alexis.
Milza takes her crest and control of the Alliance.
The Milza vs Theo battle would be more meaningful and Theo would make Lassic (the first and most loyal lord to acknowledge him) the 2nd Emperor.

All that being said; I really appreciated the closure that the ending gave -we don't get that too often.
Priscilla's death is the most poignant event for me and of course Marrine bartering away her V-card for an alliance with an antihero/asshole/psycho is not something one forgets.
 
May 22, 9:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 743
Haha Marrine is not worthy to wear white on her wedding day lol. Great show, that Crest looked Majestic and amazing. Glad Theo and Siluca can live out the rest of their lives together with some of their friends back in Sistina.
 
Jul 26, 6:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 13532
Well that got...really weird. The pace of these last 2 episodes reminded me of the fast forward speed of the first few. The battles felt a bit anticlimactic and typical for final bosses - a far cry from the nerve wracking duel between Theo & Milza. The whole "humanity will become too powerful and destroy itself" idea probably could have worked better if it wasn't thrust in so suddenly at the end. Though on a side note, it reminds me of a bizarre dream I had a couple of weeks ago where vampires were trying to annihilate humanity before we could set off another nuke. Gotta wonder if premonition is a real thing sometimes.

Anyway, one could have likened aspects of this to Game of Thrones. While there were fantasy elements established early on, the focus was more on the battles & politics of the feuding lords. In the midst of this war, each lord & lady had their own ambitions and there was no telling what would happen next. It was also refreshing to see that very seldom would things work out for the better in dire situations (i.e. Villar's death). Though not quite to the same degree, it reminds me of certain weddings in GoT.

Something else to point out is that the characters would often say things that masked their intentions, both from other characters as well as the audience. It was a bit difficult to follow when listening in another language and reading subtitles, but effectively what characters said wasn't always what they literally meant. For example, when Marrine says that she'll leave her first time entirely in Milza's hands because of his experience. Another way to interpret that is that she doesn't intend on being an active participant in the act since that would suggest a willingness to have sex beyond it serving as a pact for their alliance. In this show in particular, it became vital to understand character's underlying motives & goals in order to better read into their words & actions.

On that note, Grancrest Senki could certainly get unsettling & grueling from episode 9 onward. The awkward pacing at the beginning made it difficult to get into, but from that moment on it began to display its true colors & shades. That's why these last two episodes took me by surprise considering the lack of real casualties and relatively safe happily ever after. Though I certainly don't mind the deviation towards a happy ending. Now if they really wanted to blow our minds, they should have shown an advanced civilization finally destroying itself in the epilogue.

Meh, I'll settle for the final kiss under the rainbow.

7.5/10
Modified by Bayek, Jul 26, 6:12 PM
 
Top