Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 8, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty lighthearted episode. Compared to some of the others, the one Kino came to this episode has a beautiful feel with its features.

The girl Kino met is also friendly and takes her around town. It's known that the town doesn't have a good reputation despite its beautiful setting.
Dec 8, 2017 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
Remember this one from the first anime. Still heartbreaking when she finds the second letter from the kid.

And Kino's backstory next week, yay another depressing episode.
Dec 8, 2017 9:24 AM

Jun 2015
This was a lighthearted episode. Everyone was very kind to Kino. She was quite surprised because she heard rumors it was a rude country. I wasn't expecting the country to be wiped out. They knew it was going to happen. What a shame. At least it gave Kino wonderful memories.
Dec 8, 2017 9:51 AM

May 2009
How can you even call "lighthearted" an episode where everyone gets buried in an eruption? Like lmao the scene is even more graphic than the one in the previous series.
Dec 8, 2017 10:31 AM

Sep 2013
No matter how many different adaptions this part got, it somehow always manages to hit me in the feels. :'/

And if I recall correctly, wasn't Kino's current VA Sakura's original VA? And did Aoi voice both of them this time?
*Screaming autistically through the screen*
Dec 8, 2017 10:46 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That fucked me up, i'm speechless. I never expected this to happen.

I was thinking that there must be some kind of twist to the people in this country but this is just heartbreaking.

They were indeed unfriendly people to all travelers and needed an event like this to change (which is honestly sad cause they didn't know any other way how to change IMO).

I knew that they tried very hard to come across as kind (and i think, it was real, not fake, they waited until their last moments for ONE SINGLE traveler to come) when Kino did the cooking and they complimented him.

Shit.
Dec 8, 2017 10:48 AM

Feb 2013
This was too sad.
Stupid adults, no country is more important that it's people, they should have left that place.
Dec 8, 2017 10:52 AM

Sep 2017
Very nice episode.

One of the many worries that don't let us sleep at night is the image that people will have of us once we're gone. The people of that country just wanted to live on as a beautiful memory knowing that the end was near. And now kino has a new gun as a memento of them.
Dec 8, 2017 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
That was rather strange story. From the start i had the feeling that something is not right and the question for staying 3 days might be a hint to it. Well it was, but in a complete unexpected conclusion. Kinda undestand their decision, but at the same time really not. That was a sad experience for Kino.
Dec 8, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly, for all the issues this version of the series has had, this episode was perfectly executed from start to finish, and by far the best one of this new season, not least because it is closest to the tone of the original series. Also, even though I knew it was coming, the twist was still pretty painful, and was once again helped by the execution.

Next week is Land of Adults, another redo from the original series: this one is very important, so it's going to be interesting to see if they get it right; I have much more confidence that they can do so having seen this episode, at least.
Dec 8, 2017 12:09 PM

Aug 2016
It was completely unexpected. I sat agape for a minute after seeing the destruction of the city.

I don't know what you call this - I was watching a documentary on YouTube about Pompeii before I viewed this episode.
Dec 8, 2017 12:23 PM

Nov 2017
So, who voiced Sakura? Kino in this series has the same voice actress that Sakura had in the original, but now I'm interested in who voiced Sakura in the new series.
Dec 8, 2017 12:25 PM

Sep 2009
They should have switch this episode and the next one for better effect but still it was a good adaptation.
Dec 8, 2017 12:29 PM
Jul 2016
Stark700 said:
Pretty lighthearted episode.

um, what?

Wait, so we get Kino's backstory next week? I thought they weren't going to adapt that. Why the fuck would you show Kino's backstory after this episode and not before it??? It makes no sense. You NEED to know Kino's backstory to properly understand this episode. ALL the feels, all the everything (to avoid being very spoilerish) comes from actually having knowledge of the next episode's content. Who decided to show these 2 episodes in this order??? I don't even...
Dec 8, 2017 12:51 PM
Dec 2013
impossablank said:
So, who voiced Sakura?

Accroding to the end credits her name is Kokoa Amano. I've never heard of her and she's apparently only 13.
Dec 8, 2017 12:58 PM

Nov 2016
Still remember this episode from the first series and I gotta say that this remastered version hit the feels like the original did.

Started off idyllic right into a tragedy,but nice that the citizens didn't have any regrets.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 8, 2017 1:08 PM

Aug 2013
Damn that was feels
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 8, 2017 1:32 PM

Aug 2015
Glad they're doing stories actually involving Kino again, but with this and the next episode both being readaptations I'm still overall unsatisfied with this new adaptation.
Dec 8, 2017 1:35 PM

Sep 2011
So, let's just get this out of the way: Some of what made this story work so well in the original was not present this time around, simply because it didn't have certain things before it. One of them is that this version didn't emphasize the "three days, two nights" rule enough prior to this for Kino wanting to stay longer to have the impact it needed. The other is literally the next episode, which kind of feels like a slap in the face for them to place that immediately after this.

All that said: Oh my god this was executed beautifully, and even missing those elements it still nailed the biggest emotional point perfectly. Despite the small gripes that really stand out if you've seen the previous adaptation, this was still one of the best episodes this version has given us, and both versions of this episode taken as stand-alone stories are among the best either series has to offer. For now I'll just have to be cautiously optimistic that they find some way to make Land of Adults next week make up for everything that not being included before this episode caused this version to miss, though I'm not sure how they would even make it work in reverse and I won't get my hopes too high.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 8, 2017 1:37 PM

Sep 2011
Oh, also: does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe, the old persuadersmith in this episode was the same apprentice that we saw traveling with Kino's teacher Shishou/Master in the clocktower episode of this series?

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 8, 2017 1:42 PM

Nov 2014
I don't understand the logic, they could have just rebuild the country but the adults let the children, animals and everyone die? *thinking face*
Well it was definitely a sad but great episode, cant wait for the next one.
Dec 8, 2017 2:06 PM
Jan 2016
Doesn't compare to the original episode. I think it's almost an accomplishment to have such prettier animation while losing everything else.
Dec 8, 2017 2:15 PM

Sep 2016
joa12222 said:
impossablank said:
So, who voiced Sakura?

Accroding to the end credits her name is Kokoa Amano. I've never heard of her and she's apparently only 13.
Oh her voice sounded familliar when i was watching the episode, then i realized she's is Misa in Urahara aswell.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Dec 8, 2017 2:15 PM

Dec 2015
despite being a devasting chapter, is one of the best stories I've found on anime, and one of my favourites, voice acting was excellent after Kino read the letter...

MistLiigh said:
Oh, also: does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe, the old persuadersmith in this episode was the same apprentice that we saw traveling with Kino's teacher Shishou/Master in the clocktower episode of this series?

you're not the only one, I'm pretty sure of that
Dec 8, 2017 2:19 PM

Jul 2010
that episode was so unreal. Go be immigrant or make war. What is that just waiting die?
Dec 8, 2017 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
Finally the episode I was waiting for since the beggining of the anime. This is the country that I remember the most after watching all the 'Kino' anime.
10/10.
Dec 8, 2017 3:15 PM
Aug 2014
It was like the anime went, "Surprise!" *socks you in the face*
Dec 8, 2017 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
Since I've seen the original series I knew the second they started talking about the place they were visiting what episode this was going to be, so I had a bit of a hard time enjoying it knowing what was going to happen at the end. (But it was still a nice episode putting all the death flags aside)

and oh boy, Land of Adults next week. I think this will be the 3rd version of it I've seen? (From the original anime. Also the manga, which starts off with Land of Adults for some reason) I'm so tired of Land of Adults, but I'll probably watch it anyway just to see how this series does it.

Dec 8, 2017 3:39 PM

Aug 2014
Sakura meets Sakura , Old meets New and the same fucking depression I get everytime I Watch this episodes that doesn't change :(
Great episode tho.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Dec 8, 2017 3:44 PM

Apr 2017
The world is beautiful yet so cruel. I remembered this entire episode from the original anime. It got me teary-eyed always. That country is very nice because of those hospitable and kind people. I was so thankful they re-adapted it again. So bittersweet as well as great at the same time.
Dec 8, 2017 3:50 PM

Oct 2010
Berserkerhealer said:
that episode was so unreal. Go be immigrant or make war. What is that just waiting die?

Kino in general is like that, the 2003 adaptation more blatantly so than 2017. It seems to be a massive continent with uninhabited fertile land for miles and miles, mere fractions of which are occupied by the little city-states Kino visits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state Yet people everywhere act like they have nowhere else to go. It's particularly noticeable in 2003's most horrific episode, which isn't being re-adapted this time.

It's all meant to be symbolic. Some say that aspect worked better with 2003's less realistic art style, and even then, people were asking similar questions. One could say it's a matter of taste in storytelling, but it's also a matter of the viewer's choice, whether to accept that intent or not.

Some books watching Kino brought to mind (whether justifiably or not):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Rasselas,_Prince_of_Abissinia
The Alchemist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim%27s_Progress

Dec 8, 2017 3:53 PM
Jun 2016
I was waiting for the shoe to drop, like I saw the indian rope trick of a towns backstory for what it aws, but I was expecting some kind of sinister thing, especially when I saw the pyroclastic flow I was thinking, they had put Kino on the ledge to be killed, not that....I like that there was a shoe to drop, but it wasn't the one you were expecting.
Dec 8, 2017 4:02 PM

May 2017
Unforgivable for the people of that country to not flee and start again. They had 30 days, this is just unbelievable they would condemn their children to death!

Dammit to hell!
Dec 8, 2017 4:52 PM

Nov 2016
MistLiigh said:
So, let's just get this out of the way: Some of what made this story work so well in the original was not present this time around, simply because it didn't have certain things before it. One of them is that this version didn't emphasize the "three days, two nights" rule enough prior to this for Kino wanting to stay longer to have the impact it needed. The other is literally the next episode, which kind of feels like a slap in the face for them to place that immediately after this.

I always find the most striking element in this story was Kino's attachment rather than her rules. Let me borrow people rants about Kino's personality in 2017 (as much as amused by these rants): "Kino is cold and distant at best downright sociopathic at worst. She's keep destroying the countries or working for oppresive ruler!"
Now we have this story where she's genuinely cares about them so much she's willing to stay longer. Back in the Ship and Moving country she only stayed longer than 3 days out of necessity to reach the next destination (to the next continent and crossing the walled country).

I do agree they should've put Land of Adult before this. For maximum feels.

MistLiigh said:

He is. You can see his face reflected on woodsman (and master's face on Canon) in the OP. He was also seen holding the woodsman during the clocktower siege.
Dec 8, 2017 5:28 PM

Nov 2012
I thought it was weird I felt something was missing in this episode as soon as I saw Sakura, but reading other comments made me realize it made sense I felt like a context or element to the feelings was missing. Great episode nonetheless.
Jaywalker.
Dec 8, 2017 5:30 PM

Nov 2007
DKN2038 said:
MistLiigh said:

you're not the only one, I'm pretty sure of that
Yup, that's Aibou.
Trivia: He is left handed and Woodsman is designed for left hand use. He adjusted the grip and holster to allow Kino to draw it with her left hand from the back. Canon, her other persuader, was owned by Master. Both persuaders can be seen being used by their respective owners back in episode 7. This episode also chronologically comes before all other episodes that feature Woodsman, like episode 3 (A Troublesome Land).
Dec 8, 2017 6:39 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Initially I kept wondering if there was some kind of twist to the people given that they were so kind to Kino. However, the more I watched it just didn't seem that way.
When I saw the guards urging Kino to leave early, I was wondering if that twist would finally show itself but damn what I expected was definitely not what I got.

I did not in the least expect the country to be destroyed like that, the letter was really sad to read. I really liked how in the face of impending doom the people decided to be as kinda as possible. I agree with the things written on the letter that the country's actions may seem foolish but I can respect that they wanted to go out together and be remembered for their kindness than their rude impression they had earlier.

The final letter from Sakura was really heartbreaking, I guess she did know what was happening. :(
Dec 8, 2017 6:47 PM

Sep 2011
Shinraro said:
MistLiigh said:

I always find the most striking element in this story was Kino's attachment rather than her rules. Let me borrow people rants about Kino's personality in 2017 (as much as amused by these rants): "Kino is cold and distant at best downright sociopathic at worst. She's keep destroying the countries or working for oppresive ruler!"
Now we have this story where she's genuinely cares about them so much she's willing to stay longer. Back in the Ship and Moving country she only stayed longer than 3 days out of necessity to reach the next destination (to the next continent and crossing the walled country).

I do agree they should've put Land of Adult before this. For maximum feels.

I understand what you're saying, and yes it does work to some degree on just that. I'm just saying that particular moment, where Kino wants to stay longer, is more impactful in the 2003 adaptation because it had heavily established this rule of 3 days and 2 nights throughout the whole series leading up to that point without any real deviation, so it was a big deal when Kino says "hey, I think I'd like to stay a little longer." This adaptation really didn't establish that rule, so it doesn't have the same weight behind it this time. You still get the gist through the way Hermes reacts, and how Kino is acting, it's just not as emotional. To be fair though, even missing 2 emotional points, the episode still packed plenty of feels.

MistLiigh said:
Shinraro said:
He is. You can see his face reflected on woodsman (and master's face on Canon) in the OP. He was also seen holding the woodsman during the clocktower siege.
boku said:
Yup, that's Aibou.
Trivia: He is left handed and Woodsman is designed for left hand use. He adjusted the grip and holster to allow Kino to draw it with her left hand from the back. Canon, her other persuader, was owned by Master. Both persuaders can be seen being used by their respective owners back in episode 7. This episode also chronologically comes before all other episodes that feature Woodsman, like episode 3 (A Troublesome Land).

Haha, so my storytelling intuition was right on the money! Thank you eagle-eyes and/or source readers for confirming and making me feel good about myself lol. I kind of figured in both versions that it was placed outside of chronological order, since (even though I didn't really pay close attention to the gun names) there was no indication of any third handgun-style persuader that I can recall, the way they made a point of showing you how it was holstered at the back of the belt, the scene early in the 2003 adaptation of Kino practicing with both persuaders drawing attention to that same placement... yada yada. It's a lot of fantastic subtlety built into the storyboarding and layout.

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 8, 2017 7:37 PM

Sep 2016
Well that was depressing... I wonder why Kino lied about not knowing "Master" or am I thinking of the wrong "Master" here?
Dec 8, 2017 7:43 PM

Oct 2012
The whole episode I just kept thinking... wait for it.... wait for it...
Dec 8, 2017 7:48 PM
Jun 2017
What episode was this from Kino No Tabi?
Despite the country as the rumors say: bad for travelers, Kino spent good times there.
What shocked me the most was Sakura's mother's letter inside their food ...
Dec 8, 2017 8:00 PM

Dec 2011
Raipaz said:
Well that was depressing... I wonder why Kino lied about not knowing "Master" or am I thinking of the wrong "Master" here?

Master instructed Kino to deny any involvement with her, because Master's deeds became so notorious in a lot of countries (because uh, what she's been doing isn't exactly praiseworthy) and there could be plenty of people still out to get her. It's a way to protect both Kino and herself.
Dec 8, 2017 8:04 PM

Feb 2016
SaneSavantElla said:
Raipaz said:

Master instructed Kino to deny any involvement with her, because Master's deeds became so notorious in a lot of countries (because uh, what she's been doing isn't exactly praiseworthy) and there could be plenty of people still out to get her. It's a way to protect both Kino and herself.

It was also his way of knowing whether Kino was truly a fellow apprentice of Master. If she wasn't and said something else and 'lied', he would know something happened to Master. e.g. died, had gun stolen etc.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 8, 2017 8:14 PM

Jan 2014
Well I knew there would be a twist. That's to be expected.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 8, 2017 8:15 PM

Aug 2008
When the little girl said her name was Sakura and she gets bullied for having that name, I immediately remembered this episode from season 1. It was still hard to watch, though.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Dec 8, 2017 8:40 PM
May 2011
Man this one was hard to watch. Had me holding back tears almost the whole episode once I realized which story this was.
That little animation error after Kino saw what happened kinda took me out of it.
Dec 8, 2017 8:50 PM

Aug 2014
Shit how did the same story hit me twice.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 8, 2017 8:58 PM
Apr 2016
Mouloxas said:
Stark700 said:
Pretty lighthearted episode.

um, what?

Wait, so we get Kino's backstory next week? I thought they weren't going to adapt that. Why the fuck would you show Kino's backstory after this episode and not before it??? It makes no sense. You NEED to know Kino's backstory to properly understand this episode. ALL the feels, all the everything (to avoid being very spoilerish) comes from actually having knowledge of the next episode's content. Who decided to show these 2 episodes in this order??? I don't even...

I agree. Showing Kino's backstory before this episode would totally make more sense. If we knew Kino's backstory before, we would be able to see how alike Kino and Sakura are, but how different their fates turned out to be . It makes you question lots of things.( not gonna say anything 'bout it cuz i don't wanna be a spoiler)
Dec 8, 2017 9:32 PM

Aug 2016
Why doesn't Hermes show a grain of emotion? Do motorrads lack emotions?
Dec 8, 2017 10:10 PM

Aug 2013
These people made me angry. This eruption didn't even make it to the next ridge over. Are they saying that they couldn't have just evacuated and rebuilt the city on the somewhat safer hill next door? They had a month's advance notice too. I could pack up everything I own minus my house itself and move my whole life to safety if I had that much time, plus build temporary shelter, and then head back to help others move. "We don't know how to live any other way" she says... Well good, because all you have to do is rebuild your house, and then you can go right back to living the way you do.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM

» Which one is better? 2003 or 2017?

SgtBateMan - Sep 13, 2021

9 by Videogamecoper »»
Dec 14, 2023 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.