Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 7, 2012 8:37 PM
Mar 2011
Damn, he didn't have to kill Meisai. I'm sure with his skills he could have found a way to incapacitate her without murdering her.

I liked Meisai a lot, and found the transition to the semi-comedic scenes afterwards kind of jarring. They just killed a woman who has been trying to heal the scarred psyches of a thousand people, and then as they're leaving they're flirting and tumbling down the stairs.

Certainly there's "no room for mercy" on the battlefield, but a little more humanity afterwards wouldn't hurt.

Entertaining watch so far though.
Oct 26, 2012 2:27 PM
Jan 2010
Homunyan said:
Damn, he didn't have to kill Meisai. I'm sure with his skills he could have found a way to incapacitate her without murdering her.

I liked Meisai a lot, and found the transition to the semi-comedic scenes afterwards kind of jarring. They just killed a woman who has been trying to heal the scarred psyches of a thousand people, and then as they're leaving they're flirting and tumbling down the stairs.

Certainly there's "no room for mercy" on the battlefield, but a little more humanity afterwards wouldn't hurt.

Entertaining watch so far though.

I have to admit that felt a bit wrong to me as well.
Nov 9, 2012 10:36 AM

May 2012
Wonderful episode great opponent and just a great fight with a great story in this episode! Up to the next great episode and opponent!
Nov 12, 2012 12:26 PM

Jan 2012
Eeeh well so far I don't really thinks this anime is that good... I'd give it a 6/10...

I think the art is quite pretty but the plot just so-so...
Is that such a good idea to gather all the swords? For peace? I feel like it could lead to the opposite...
Togame is quite a weak strategian imo... She claims to be one but isn't even good in that aspect ^^'

And really Shichika didn't really have to kill Meisai, did he? I think her reason for wanting to keep the sword is much more honorable than Togame's...

Ah well will keep watching it though... still enjoyable I guess...
Dec 5, 2012 6:59 AM

Aug 2012
Great episode....but I don't understand why Shichika need to kill the current owners of Shikizaki Kiki's swords??
Jan 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Oct 2011
Nice episode, it's only strange that they take time to introduce the Maniwani ninjas just to let them die with one slice without doing anything significant xD
I like the relationship of Togame and Shichika :P
Jan 23, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2011
Ya, that bet is bullshit. 2 swords for one based on a duel? Pfft. I lol'd @ that scene at the inn at night though. It looked like they were....

Seems like Yasuri also admits that he fell for Togame. It was inevitable tbh. The duel was good and so was this episode. Cheriooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 19, 2013 12:48 PM
Apr 2012
I was kind of dissapointed in her ultimate technique Sentou Meiguri and in how it was so easily defeated in such a lame way. But aside from that it was good episode and Tsuruga Meisa was an interesting character. 5/5
Mar 22, 2013 12:34 PM

Jan 2012
Why show some blood if we can put some dark screens instead and leave the rest for imagination of the audience. IT DID NOT WORK because The duels of this episode were really really lame lame aspecially considering Meisai's potential. Oh and another ninja killed within one shot- this is soo uncool :<
I wonder how much did Togame and Meisai knew abot eachother- I mean their past is very similar.
Shichika's also and I think this is what he calls 'love'.

Btw my impression on him stering at his covered with blood hand: truely dreadful o.o and so not a human. Ah right he is a katana :/ (I'm pretty shure I shared this thought with Togame considering her face at that moment)
Apr 3, 2013 3:29 PM

Sep 2011
Not the best episode so far. The previous episodes were better in most aspects, though this one was also better in a way.

Shichika really shouldn't have killed her :/
I also hope that Shichika will develop some emotions about killing soon. It just felt so weird how he didn't feel anything when he killed her :/
The contradictions that Meisai spouted was also kind of confusing. And I'm sad we didn't actually get to see the so-called thousand sword technique.
The "fights" (both the last one and the one with the ninja) were too short. I hope not every ninja will die so easily.

Other then these though, it wasn't bad. I liked the kind of sad story of the maidens and I also liked the comedy in the episode. Especially Togame's and Shichika's moments :)
Also, I didn't expect that he was actually the one who killed his own father, though I think the father was probably happy with it, knowing that his son surpassed him. Well, that's how I imagine it happened, anyway.
RazielZeroApr 4, 2013 2:08 PM
Apr 30, 2013 2:32 PM
Aug 2011
Such an elaborate setup/trap in the forest and he just runs out ._.
May 26, 2013 7:35 PM

Jan 2013
Liked this episode the most so far.
There should really be more action though. The fights end in a couple of moves.
Jun 7, 2013 2:49 AM
Aug 2011
What is with the cookie ninjas? 10 seconds appearance and a quick death.

What is with the techniques? The woman says it is invincible and the guy kills her with one punchy move to her heart. What, is that it?
Jun 18, 2013 10:10 AM

Oct 2009
Adramelech said:
What is with the cookie ninjas? 10 seconds appearance and a quick death.

What is with the techniques? The woman says it is invincible and the guy kills her with one punchy move to her heart. What, is that it?

welcome to generic anime
Jun 25, 2013 8:22 PM

Nov 2012
dont know why but everytime seeing ninja maniwa I started to get annoyed -_-
they are look so idiot-_-

hmm.. kinda sad in the end..
is shicika dont want to do this? hmm.. :/
Aug 6, 2013 1:19 AM
Jul 2013
I have to admit that the 3rd sword is really, really retarded. It's literally 1000 ordinary swords. There isn't even someone who has 1000 hands to wield them all, and it wouldn't be different anyways if they wielded 1000 random swords instead of this "special" sword. Then when the woman talked about her Thousand Sword Style or whatever and how it's invincible, I couldn't stop laughing my ass off at how retarded she was.

I can't believe Togame, Ms. "Strategist", actually accepted to risk 2 UNIQUE POWERFUL SWORDS WITH THEIR OWN SPECIAL ABILITIES for 1000 normal swords that those 2 earlier swords can easily cut and break. I'm going to assume this 3rd sword is just a satire of special treasures that turn out to be really crappy.
night97Aug 6, 2013 1:26 AM
Aug 25, 2013 2:52 PM
Feb 2013
Shichika is insanely strong...
Let's see, if in the whole serie someone could really have a fair fight against him...
I lol'ed about that idiot trap xD
Anyway, another awesome episode...

5/5
Aug 26, 2013 6:40 AM
May 2012
Shichika didn't have to kill Meisai and the scene at the inn was funny they looked like they were having ... still a good episode.
Nov 16, 2013 2:30 PM

Apr 2012
kage-bunshin said:
so she had to look for the original among 999 copies, but the original was buried underground, lol. another one of this ninja guys showed up... lasted a little longer then the last one didn't he?

He was pretty badass, even though he got his ass kicked.
Dec 29, 2013 1:29 AM

Aug 2012
It's getting better. Maybe her death would be a starting point for Shichika to understand more about normal human emotions...

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Dec 31, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
The story was sad. Seeing her being unable to abandon her saber because all her life and her resolution revolved around that saber.

Shichika was so heartless. But I guess it's just part of his nature and is naivety.

Togame was cute in this episode. She just had a lot of respect for the priest.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 15, 2014 2:54 AM

Mar 2010
This episode was extremely disappointing. So Shichika is a sociopath and Togame doesn't care if 1000 girls suffer or die because she wants swords. Probably the worst main characters I've seen. It greatly lowered my opinion of this anime. The only true villains this episode were the main characters and they don't even have an excuse.
Mar 11, 2014 7:09 PM

Apr 2013
I was disappointed with the last episode, but it changed this episode. The best episode so far. We actually got to learn about the wielder of Shikizaki blades, and why she fights. I didn't want Shichika nor Togame to kill the Wielder, and I sympathized with Meisai throughout the whole episode.

HikaruIzumi said:
This episode was extremely disappointing. So Shichika is a sociopath and Togame doesn't care if 1000 girls suffer or die because she wants swords. Probably the worst main characters I've seen. It greatly lowered my opinion of this anime. The only true villains this episode were the main characters and they don't even have an excuse.

I wouldn't say the episode was disappointing, but I can see Shichika as a sociopath. He even killed Meisai (Who tried extremely hard to protect those 1000 girls), only to smile and say hi right after when Togame showed up.
Though, that doesn't mean it was a disappointing episode because of that. Shichika and Togame have a different goal than the rest of the characters, and we have to watch through that. A hero can be a villain in another persons perspective.
Jun 2, 2014 8:34 AM

Apr 2013
Lmao the ninja took like 5 min to introduce himself and then he was killed in 1 second.

This time we got some back story on the sword wielder.
Jul 24, 2014 4:06 PM

Dec 2013
Dem brEWtal, but she killed many people too so whatever.
Blonde guy was the best.
Aug 14, 2014 5:36 PM

Oct 2012
This was a very good episode. Pretty psychological. Sad that she died but the main was all business.

Oct 8, 2014 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Wow. This was the best episode yet. We got a great deal of backstory and more understanding of our antagonist this time around, and it made for a very powerful scene when she died. Her dead body on the ground and the blood on Shichika's hand... I don't recall ever feeling sad for an antagonist like that.

This brings up the issue of Shichika's morality: Should he become more sensitive, or should he remain a "sword" that only does as commanded? I do think he should develop more sensitivity (even if killing her wasn't "wrong"), yet at the same time he can't be affording to hesitate when his life is on the line.

Whew. That's good writing. The serious tone was done even more superbly than the silly tone.

The preview looks intense. Perhaps we'll get a bit more action fanservice next episode.
Nov 16, 2014 9:16 PM
Jun 2013
Another improved episode!
Dec 14, 2014 2:09 AM

Aug 2013
So much emotions squirming about... can't take it all in. T^T
All the characters seem to meet tragic ends in this anime.. not many like this I've watched.
I like the humor and little romantic occurrences between them both.. it's very cute and funny. XD
They manage to do well in balancing the story and pacing. Now only if the battle would draw out longer.
Those maniwani guys getting torn apart is going to become a frequent incident.. I lol'ed hard at that.
But damn look at the preview.. the next fight seem like it finally won't end with a quick blow haha !
Hakuhei looks pretty mysterious.. wonder what's his story.
Dec 26, 2014 12:36 PM

Aug 2014
Great episode once again, it didn't have the unnecessary dialogue that the other episodes had.
Granted the fight was pretty subpar since i was expecting much more, the backstory made up for it

I really liked Meisai, very sad that she had to die :/
KashKetchumDec 26, 2014 12:54 PM
Jan 2, 2015 1:19 AM

Jun 2014
holy shit my head hurts from all the talking. Its too much. I was able to get through the Monogatari series pretty well, but this is just mind numbing.
I still really LOVE the characters and their motivations.
I like the opening too.
That wasn't there before right?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 4, 2015 4:20 PM
Jan 2012
Haven't felt the need to comment on the episodes up to this one, which was so good, SO good. At first I thought this show would be like the Monogatari series, which is basically all style and zero substance (and tons of awful and embarassing fanservice), but I am glad it isn't like that. There is some fanservice here and there, but it is very tame. The two leads are very likable characters and they are a pretty cute couple :) Plus, the dialogues and storylines are very interesting. I am glad I am giving this show a second chance, if not because of the awful experience I ha d with the Monogatari series, I would have watched it a long time ago.
Apr 8, 2015 1:51 PM

Nov 2012
So could you call Shichika an a time-hero?

Also, I thought the ninja guy held a Deviant Sword, but I guess not
May 18, 2015 7:34 PM

Jun 2014
Lol these 2 protags show up at a nice lady's temple, take her sword and murder her.

why are we rooting for them again?
Jun 4, 2015 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
Poor Maniwani, just getting destroyed so easily.
Shame Meisai had to die, just hope they will get a replacement that is as good (In her final 7 years) as her.

Togame and Shichika being stuck to each other in their inn :D

We get to know Shichika killed his own father.
PrOxAntoJun 4, 2015 9:10 AM
Jun 5, 2015 5:03 AM

Dec 2013
He ends up carrying her anyway...

Surprised to learn that Shichika killed his father 0.0

Wow that ninja got fodderised surprisingly easily.

That fight was pretty stupid. Shichika just runs out of the trap as if it's no big deal -_-

Kind of sad to see Meisai go. I acutally really liked her. I really hope that those kids will be ok.

lol at the ending XD
G_Spark233Jun 5, 2015 5:07 AM
Jun 7, 2015 7:29 PM

Sep 2014
My man used kyoka suigetsu :D
Aug 3, 2015 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
He killed his own father?
Nov 30, 2015 9:04 PM

Feb 2010
Great to know that the main male protagonist is a psychopath lol

Dec 15, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2014
A little weaker than the first two.

Still good, though!

4/5
Feb 20, 2016 4:04 PM

Mar 2015
Sentoryu : Unlimited Blade Works! lol

Best episode so far, nice (albeit short) fight and more importantly the antagonist had a lot of development as a character.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Mar 9, 2016 12:54 AM

Jan 2010

And so ends Katanagatari's episode of month of March.

As it seems, each episode has gotten more and more weighty, detailing each sword, their owner, and the relationship the two have. Living up to the anime's name "Sword Story," I'm greatly enjoying how each tale plays out. They're akin to fables and short stories, where each story has some moral regarding each sword and what they mean to every owner, which is then balanced on a scale with what they mean to Togame, Shichika, and the country as a whole. By taking away each sword, they're also taking away each owner's pride and reason for being, essentially killing them metaphorically. I suppose that's how Meisai came to terms with her inevitable death, as she knew her swords would be taken away by force eventually.

Actually, as she explained it, the swords served to empower the girls of the shrine and help them forget their past traumas, but if they were to become too attached to their blades, then the swords would then become poisonous. Not only were the swords eventually going to be taken away by the Shogunate, they need to be taken away regardless for the sake of the girls. That, of course, makes the finale of this episode even more depressing to think about. I suppose it was fortunate that Shichika fought here, as I can't imagine any other character in any other series who could have taken Meisai's blades without seeming cruel, unsympathetic, or hypocritical in terms of protecting the country at the cost of the shrine maidens' well being.

Shichika is truly a sword, and both his words and actions reflect that, but he's not inhuman either. Meisai's attempts at appealing to his emotions completely failed, but he showded a high level of respect here. Neither side held anything back, both in terms of their beliefs and their actions. In addition, I don't think any other character could have gone through with that kill. Even Togame almost questioned the action before retracting it, which was damn hard to watch.

So far, it feels like I'm reading the travel log. I'm reminded of Around the World in 80 Days, The Canterbury Tales, Kino's Journey and Galaxy Express 999, and I'm enjoying Katanagatari just as much. I must admit though, had Meisai not raised so many great questions when speaking to Shichika, the whole scenario would have been really messed up. Shichika himself would have seemed uncaring and one dimensional, and I actually was taken aback by his responses initially, but due to both Meisai and the show's writing, there's an awareness shown to alternative solutions and interpretations, as well as the demonstration of Shichika's and Togame's convictions. I'm not sure how this episode could have worked out without cheesing it out through mercy and friendship. When the ninja showed up, I expected Meisai to have died while fighting him, resulting in her sword being passed on to Togame or something. With the episode's preceding events leading up to that last duel, I can say that Katangatari has my respect for going through with its narrative.

And with that, thus begins the wait until next month's tale of swords.
Mar 18, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2015
Good episode, i feel like togame don't like how he kill without hesitation.
Apr 23, 2016 4:16 PM
Feb 2014
Laevantein said:
rarri said:

FUCK,,, YEAH!
Fvuk i miss that one..

No image is showing up!!! I WANNA KNOW WHAT EVERYONE WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT MORE THAN 6 YEARS AGOOO!!!!!

Edit: just to elaborate, Mr/Mrs HawthornerKitty inserted an image under a spoiler tag. Unfortunately, that image doesnt seem to exist anymore so I can't view it. Somebody please help me T.T
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
May 17, 2016 3:35 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Glad to know that part of the reason a few others enjoyed this episode the most so far is because there was less Togame...

That's not the main reason though, I really liked how the antagonist was handled. Like the second episode's antagonist, she wasn't evil, but she has had more depth. I enjoyed hearing about her motivations and her past. The sentouryuu style is also very cool, although more so on the battlefield than when it's just 1 vs. 1. Perhaps it was meant to feel that way, but it was most definitely anticlimatic when all Shichika had to do was to run out of the forest, lol. The fact that she had to take the time to set up for the duel showed that she was at an disadvantage, that Shichika is the worst type of opponent for her sword style. It was sad to see her have to die in the end, when it wasn't really necessary. But I don't blame Shichika either for his really simple views and attitude. As for protagonist and antagonist, it doesn't mean that protagonists are those we have to root for, or that they are automatically more right, and that's really clear here.

I also liked the amount of dialogue in this episode, it didn't even feel overwhelming or boring at all, most of it was interesting and not overdone.
Jun 7, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 2014
In just one episode, Meisei was better than every other introduced character.
Jul 4, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2016
Out of all the characters in this show, Shichika is the most terrifying. It's scary how effortlessly he can take someone's life. The ninjas are easily overwhelmed though.

Also, every character's design and voice actor has been pretty on point so far. Loving this show.
Sep 4, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2015
Loving this series so far. Enjoying the character building of the sword-wielder of the week and the ninja that just immediately dies after talking smack
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 29, 2016 6:59 AM

Jun 2016
Disappointed with this series so far.

I liked that there was less fluff in this episode. Meisai was a well-built tragic character (on top of being badass and female), and I was rooting for her throughout - well, I knew she couldn't win since she's not the OP MC, but I was hoping she would at least survive. Denied, and through a very weak battle at that - although by that time I was anticipating her death as karma for her having killed the original Meisai in cold blood. At this point it seems like the real antagonists in the story are Shichike and Togame, who can frolic after having killed someone they clearly respected. I'm confused whether the show really wants me to notice that both of them are damaged goods, because it constantly tries to hide this behind comedy. I suppose this will become clearer as the show progresses. Maybe there will be some sort of comeuppance for the killings. Personally, I hope there is, and we get to see some sort of path to redemption for the MCs.

All that said, preview for next ep looked solid!
ArachnophobicSep 29, 2016 7:17 AM
Nov 6, 2016 1:03 AM

Mar 2012
Although the show's premise seemed interesting it hasn't really been as entertaining as I'd hoped. I can't seem to get attached to the characters and what little action it has towards the end is just bad.

The sword wasn't even special, just had a bunch of copies lol. I can't even believe how she expected that plan in the forest to work in the first place. Not only was it done in broad daylight but she didn't even try to conceal the swords and she decided to blab on instead of engaging him before he realized he could easily just step out of the forest. Then she dies a one hit which wasn't even shown...again. Kinda like how the ninja got killed.

Speaking of the ninja, she just ran past him and he died lol. Guess the attack was too fast for us to see it again.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Today, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.