Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2017 6:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was just strange.

The crucifix and other stuff creeped me out at first. However, the background story had my interest more with the relationship building. I'm not even slightly surprised that a relationship in this show would fall apart eventually. Depressing reality, really.
Aug 4, 2017 8:59 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Even though there was a lot of depressing stuff in this episode, in managed to somehow turn into one of optimism

Its interesting how that one guy was the son of Azazel and how he had the power to grant 1000 wishes, and I kinda wanted to know whether or not he was able to start a family/have kids

Either way, it was a nice way to give backstory for Lauren (I'm impressed by his characteristics) as well as to link it with the religious themes presented in the show as well as to further develop the dynamic between him and the MC......I really enjoyed it all from start to finish
Aug 4, 2017 9:07 AM

Aug 2013
John's story was so depressing. But it ended in a positive note. That guy deserves happiness.

So Lauren is held against his will because of how valuable he is and he doesn't want to go along with higher authority.

Aug 4, 2017 9:22 AM
Nov 2016
I still don't understand what the format of the show is and how the universe in the show works....

Like, is their supernatural stuff happening in the show's world? I don't know.

I thought they'd start a new episode today but I guess I was wrong and I don't even know what to expect from this show, going forward.
Aug 4, 2017 9:29 AM

Jun 2015
This episode was quite heartwarming. John's story was so sad, but it ended in happiness. It was surprising his father was Azazel. He had the power to grant 1000 wishes, but it burdened him. Got to know about Lauren. He is being held by the Vatican because he is too important.
Aug 4, 2017 11:10 AM

Oct 2007
Holy nested doll narrative, Batman. So, there was this time I met this imprisoned genius, and I told him about how I met that guy who told me about the time he had dinner with his father who told him about how he made a bet with an angel...
Aug 4, 2017 11:49 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Episode was better than the whole first arc xD

Quite a heartwarming story, i'd like to believe that it indeed was a miracle.
Aug 4, 2017 1:19 PM

Jun 2014
An episode like this was definitely needed after the whirlwind that was last week's episode. It was much more enjoyable, the story was contained in one episode and was well-paced, and it was easier to follow since there wasn't 30 different things going on at once (seriously, how did the first arc go from investigating a virgin conception to Nazi conspiracy theories). John's story was sad at first, but everything worked out well and he got a happy ending. It was also good to learn more about Lauren and see his interactions with Josef.
thebrentinator24Aug 4, 2017 1:23 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 4, 2017 2:22 PM

Mar 2016
Weird episode...very strange...but oddly enough I was entertained by the story of John and his blessing or curse to make his wishes come true. I wonder what the next direction of the anime will be? Will they take up a new case or will something else happen? I look forward to seeing the next episode to find out!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Aug 4, 2017 2:27 PM

Jun 2011
I guess this is supposed to be Supernatural: Catholic Edition. I'd rather it go back to the craziness that was reincarnated Hitler and his Nazi cult though.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Aug 4, 2017 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
Wait, so this time it was actually, really supernatural.

So seems like 1000 wishes isn't all it's cracked up to be.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Aug 4, 2017 6:28 PM

Jan 2014
thesarcasticguy said:
I still don't understand what the format of the show is and how the universe in the show works....

Like, is their supernatural stuff happening in the show's world? I don't know.

I thought they'd start a new episode today but I guess I was wrong and I don't even know what to expect from this show, going forward.

Same, it kind of contradicts itself. It debunked all of the "supernatural" stuff in the first 4 episodes, yet its genre is literally supernatural. So.. I don't know either.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 4, 2017 6:39 PM

Sep 2010
He sees you when your sleeping. He knows when are awake. He knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake...cause if you don't you'll get axed. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 4, 2017 8:28 PM

Apr 2009
This episode was definitely far more enjoyable, than the first four that were just a roller coaster ride.

Hopefully next episode would be about... Roberto? I would guess so.

And then the next arc starts after that, once again going into a high speed roller coaster ride, where stuffs just fly out of the screen and get thrown into the viewer's face till it's over, like the first arc? LOL. xD
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Aug 4, 2017 9:10 PM

Sep 2015
This anime is nice overall, but I have a lot of mix feelings in its plot and themes.
Hitler would roll in his grave if the first 4 eps aquatically happened as he despised Himmler's cultist activities.
But they were fun to watch until the end where it was a bit over the top. And a few historical inaccuracies, as Gestapo Heinrich never met with his wife even if he did live. Israel operatives went in to his wife's house before in West Germany. Evidently she never went with him.-Though I think Mary brown is a 2nd wife according to the story.

This episode contradicts the previous ones. The debunked all supernatural but now they accepts it. Or well I guess rather than 'accepting it' it is far to back in the past to make theories for. And as a religious man, he didn't question it too much.
Thought we will see a new arc. But its fine. A break from that is nice. It was really depressing at first but it ended up being rather happy ending. Still rather unsatisfying as she is 'created' by him.
Aug 5, 2017 6:48 AM

Jul 2015
Well that was a surprise. Generally i didn't liked the past 4 episodes of this show, i know it had some mysteries and also that last weeks WTF episode but it was kind of boring and the story was all over the place. This weeks episode on the other had was actually good and interesting and i guess ill be looking forward to the future episodes of this show.
btw, i think later on the there will be an explanation for that guys story and i bet will see that it wasn't super natural after all.
Aug 5, 2017 10:28 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Wow trafficking bio weapons to other countries and stealing government secrets too this criminal sure isn't afraid of death is he. Genius and wack jobs are two sides of the same coin sadly. Hmm so the genius in question was lauren eh. Quite an unusual way to meet someone for the first time lol. Having a criminal as your helper though is interesting. That also explains why Lauren see's Higa as his only friend though. I like how this episode alternates between the past and present while fleshing out both Higa and Lauren as well. So this is how the two of them managed to forge a friendship then eh. So in a sense Lauren is a prisoner thats better alive but imprisoned than dead eh. Hmm listening to a confession at that young age eh. The way this blessing is explained makes it sound more like a curse though. To think that John's father was actually a devil. A murderer in a santa outfit that came out on Christmas day eh. What a nightmare for the children. So because of that his friends were the ones that died in his place then. I can see why John would confess this. I guess after seeing what her husband had become her distrust for good fortune was shattered. To think that this caused him to inadvertently kill his mother though.

So in a bid to undo his wish John resurrected his mother but in the process changing her entirely. After seeing such great changes wrought to his life its no surprise that he's a shell of a man. But its nice that near the end of his life that he was able to encounter the one that will later become his wife. To think that she was actually a creation of his though. Though surprising i agree with Higa that John did win against the devil because he really was in love with his wife. This really was an interesting episode and did well to establish how lauren and Higa actually met.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2017 1:44 PM

Oct 2013
First time I see an anime introduce so many religious themes without going full God bashing. Kudos to it.
_____
I really liked this episode, seems like a break after facil reincarnated Hitler.

We finally saw the background of ̶J̶u̶l̶i̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶s̶s̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ Lauren. The dinamic in this episode was good, Azazel was convinced that letting someone grant wishes would turn always in a Monkey Paw nightmare.

In the end John attained happyness, his wishes finally made him happy, thus, defeating Azazel in his own gamble.
Aug 5, 2017 6:38 PM

Nov 2016
This is actually my favorite episode up to this point. It was quite nice storywise, unfortunately a few things didn't make sense to me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 6, 2017 2:25 AM

Nov 2009
I'm in minority but I found this episode weaker than the first arc, and the Lauren bits were somewhat boring. Although, when Hiraga started gushing about how great Roberto is, it's apparent that Lauren is upset with that and became jealous of Roberto. Something might come out of it at the end.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 6, 2017 6:49 AM

Oct 2008
Aizen voice is being emo all over again!
3/5.

Aug 7, 2017 7:11 AM

Jun 2016
I wonder if Lauren will now debunk that story in the next episode (or the next three) and that leads Hiraga seeks out his help when it comes to other miracles. Kind of like a prequel on how Lauren joined up to be the third member of the Miracle Busters.

I felt bad for John. His mother....I get being afraid and stuff, but why burden your son to that level and negate anything he did. Eventually he'll just feel pressured and rebel, or in this case wish for your death.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Aug 7, 2017 8:01 AM

Jan 2013
This episode was different from the others.
That guy almost ruined his whole life lol He had 1000 wishes, he could have had a dream life.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 7, 2017 10:38 AM
Mar 2012
Azazel's son, what a bittersweet life, glad he reached happiness thru belief.
hahaha that killer Santa tho.
It's rare a show supports belief in religion, and in a non preachy way.
lol Hiiraga gay going strong for Roberto. Good mix of calm & funny this ep.
Aug 7, 2017 6:40 PM

Apr 2015
John is such a good man. He had to fight against his own will to not harm anyone. I also think that he defeated Azazel.

It was nice to see an interaction between Hiraga and Lauren.

And the pace of this episode was the best one so far. It was not rushed or too slow
Aug 7, 2017 6:48 PM

Jul 2017
Holy shit. This episode really surprised me, it was actually legitimately good. All the previous episode were bad to meh and boring. Yet this episode had a clear story line, was paced well, and just flowed together. Pleasant surprise.
Aug 8, 2017 4:15 AM

Jun 2015
Was Mr. Brickett a mahou shoujo?
This was a cute episode and not as over the top as the last one.
Aug 8, 2017 12:17 PM
Jan 2016
It was a calming episode it was okay I guess
This episode got me scared when Santa Claus appeared in front of him they should put the horror genre as I found a lot of scary scenes in this anime
John life was tragic but in the end he found happiness even though that he wished for that
Lauren's got a bit of characterization which that is good
I would of prefer if this episode was the beginning of a new arc but this episode seems a break after the previous arc which was heavy
3/5
Aug 9, 2017 10:16 PM

Mar 2013
I got quite invested in Mr. Brickett's story. It was pretty sad at first but ended up on a good note. He did his best despite being the devil's son, so he deserved happiness.
Aug 11, 2017 12:32 PM
Mar 2016
A game of Angels and Demon??????/Looks more like an over done Go board.

Also the Vatican having a SuperMaxJail for High Value Inmate??????Shees, In reality the Vatican turns every criminal offender to the Italian Police.

and the Plot .....looks more like an idea taken from the Movie Bedazzed.
Aug 14, 2017 10:30 PM

Dec 2015
The tale was great, until it went a bit too far again (with the woman who can't be explained). Everyone knows the fantasy story's main rule: to not give the reader anything forcing the story to not be realistic.
It started very well with the father playing around his wife and son very strong Faith (to the point of believing the supernatural aspect of the religion word for word in our time), just to leave them under pressure and abandoning them/dying. The mother suddenly falls "dead", then her "resurrection" is followed by her relying on a wheelchair? Everything is told from a strong believer's point-of-views and has to be taken for granted. You can't do more non-supernatural

4/5 Not on par with any short story (book) or US TV anthology show I have seen treating the same "wishes danger", but okay.

Did everyone here just blindly took the demon and wish talk for granted? o_o

Ahegyao said:
I guess this is supposed to be Supernatural: Catholic Edition. I'd rather it go back to the craziness that was reincarnated Hitler and his Nazi cult though.

It wasn't a (supernatural) reincarnation in the first case: the Nazi were accidentally lucky to fecundate a woman with predispositions to schizophrenia. Thus leading to the son of Hitler being mentally disturbed.
Rei_IIIAug 14, 2017 10:35 PM
Aug 19, 2017 10:42 AM
Oct 2007
I was so close to dropping the show since I was quite disappointed with the first arc but I enjoyed this episode surprisingly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2017 11:12 PM

Jun 2016
Ugh. What a very beautiful episode. I loved it so much.

If I were in Mr. Brickett's position, I'd definitely use those thousand wishes. Damn. I have a lot of needs and wants in life which I think only can be granted through wishes. Haha.

Fucking Santa Claus.

And nice to know about Lauren's brief backstory.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 27, 2017 3:27 PM

Nov 2007
I call bullshit.....bet they are going to debunk this crap in next episodes.

So Vatican got atheist guy with inmeasurably high IQ locked up and Japanese gay boy thinks he will gift him the Bible and he will suddenly "fix" himself. It will just make him hate the place and religion more,good job^^ There is a good reason why the most intelligent people aren't religious....(unless you are special case of brainwashed kid like Hiiraga guy)

This episode was weaker than the roller-coaster arc from before.
Oct 24, 2017 2:25 PM

May 2012
Quite the interesting episode, really different tone than the previous episodes as well! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Dec 3, 2017 1:33 AM

Jun 2011
lol, people gonna hate for the smallest thing.. the series did not debunk supernaturalism, just because it wasn't involved in the first case doesn't mean it won't come up now. There have been sufficient hints that supernatural does exist in their world. Besides, supernatural occurences may also exist in our very own world, you just don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, neither could I say it truly exists. It's all part of the wonder of the universe.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 24, 2018 6:38 PM

Oct 2016
I'm wondering why so many people were concerned about the existence of supernatural occurrences being debunked vs. them actually existing. The series is called Vatican Miracle Examiners, the title itself suggests that sometimes it's a miracle, sometimes it's not, and it's their job to find that out.

An interesting episode. It had the structure and atmosphere of a real literary short story, I liked it.
Mar 22, 2020 12:43 AM

Dec 2013
I.... actually like this episode compared to the first ones. I felt bad for John but I'm relieved he's happy now. 1,000 wish is indeed too much but I'm just wondering what will happen if he just used up the 1,000 wishes in nonsense stuff?

Anyway, nice to see some background about Lauren and Hiragi's positive feedbacks about Nicolas lol

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 19, 2020 1:17 PM

Mar 2010
Another weird episode. Glad john had a happy end.
Aug 18, 2020 2:15 PM

Jan 2010
"His IQ was too high to measure."

I...I don't think that's how IQs work.

Also, in terms of the wishes, couldn't he wish for a potato chip one thousand times or something? If he's screwed regardless due to being cursed by the Devil, couldn't he waste all the wishes on something mundane or harmless? Or maybe wish things on the Devil himself, like wishing he had a silly high pitched voice or giving him a mohawk? I feel like if this curse were real, he was doomed from the start, there were ways to frustrate the Devil in return, if just to be defiant.
ShockedAug 18, 2020 2:27 PM
Oct 22, 2022 10:09 PM

Oct 2019
Damn, rather short story compared to the 4 ep story we had. but it was still fine. That freakin demons and angels game is just large. Also, fuck that santa clause.
I feel like this episode is asking the viewer to decide. The priest says it was an unsolved miracle case and its a story for Lauren to decide. i also think its something for us to decide. I feel given the nature of the show, i feel most of these things can be waved off as somewhat normal circumstances or lucky moments if you wanna go that route, that gets associated as a wish. Obviously, I cannot explain the father wish stuff nor about the wife not remembering her family. But i feel like, despite being very coincidental, John had the desire to be rid of the mother and she just so happened to have gotten lets say a heart attack and managed to live. I think that near death may have changed her to live life more while she got a second chance albeit still troublesome moments.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Dec 10, 2023 5:24 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well this was definitely the best paced episode so far, it was all one story contained in one episode and it also worked in the initial meeting of Hiraga of Lauren, the game they were playing just looks like checkers on 6 or so different boards tho lol. I did really liked the story in this one tho, kinda fitting for the time of the year I’m watching this show and it even got me kinda feelsy there at the end when Hiraga told John that he thought he defeated the demon, I think he did too if all of this is actually true, it’s possible that there’s some science in there somewhere but there’s not really a way to examine this miracle since it happened a long time ago, but perhaps there will be more on it later, who knows.
Feb 6, 7:23 PM

Jun 2008
The story had a fable-like quality, which I liked. So far it seems to me the episodic format may work better for this series than the previous 4-ep arc.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vatican Kiseki Chousakan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

70 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 20, 8:22 PM

» Light Novel - for those who want to follow the story

Willowspell - Sep 26, 2017

10 by little_raven »»
Feb 9, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Vatican Kiseki Chousakan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

73 by little_raven »»
Feb 6, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Vatican Kiseki Chousakan Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2017

23 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 26, 2023 5:16 AM

Poll: » Vatican Kiseki Chousakan Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2017

33 by TheColonel76 »»
Dec 21, 2023 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.