Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 22, 2017 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The animation style of this show feels like a comic book.

Right from the start, the city goes into chaos with a "terrorist attack". I think it's noticable that there's a bunch of American flags and themes present in this show. The fighting scenes looked strange imo, might have to get used to it after awhile.

Some of the characters in this series are pretty mysterious especially since their real identities aren't exactly known. Curious to find out more about them.
Jul 22, 2017 9:47 AM

Apr 2014
Ya this isnt for me. A shame that this is what the director has to work with. Why couldnt he make more traditional looking anime smh.

Also fuck stan lee, please ruin hollywood not anime.
Jul 22, 2017 10:26 AM
Dec 2016
moodie said:
Ya this isnt for me. A shame that this is what the director has to work with. Why couldnt he make more traditional looking anime smh.

How does this ruin the entirety of the entity of anime?
Jul 22, 2017 10:54 AM
May 2009
moodie said:

Nothing is forcing you to watch.
Jul 22, 2017 11:03 AM

Mar 2016
it's been a while since i saw something that bad

thats 25 minutes of my life I will never get back
Jul 22, 2017 11:05 AM

Sep 2015
Well I don't want to be mean or something, I know some of you like this kind of art style, but to me it looks like an art/animation student project (everything looks cheap)

anyway I have to see another episode to see what it will be about (maybe), though I will probably drop after ...
Jul 22, 2017 11:18 AM
Apr 2017
Where did you guys watch it? Is it subbed?
Jul 22, 2017 11:19 AM

Oct 2015
All style, no substance... yet. I am interested in the premise and what we know so far to continue watching. A world where anyone could be a hero/villain, but ya gotta hide and stuff. Yeah, I didn't grow up with comics.
Jul 22, 2017 11:19 AM

Oct 2015
Kokoyashi said:
Where did you guys watch it? Is it subbed?

Crunchyroll has it up for subscribed members.
Jul 22, 2017 11:25 AM
Apr 2017
._.
I don't have crunchyroll premium
Jul 22, 2017 11:29 AM
Jun 2013
The characters look a little more comic book than anime (small eyes and a nose). The battles are hardly flashy or cool. The pacing is atrocious as well as nothing can happen for a little too long, without any of the screams and explanations we love.The punches from I-GUY (lol) were weak and pathetic. I hope the POW sound effect and others like it are left out of further episodes too. The art hits like a brick. Is this for artistic value or budget? It took a few moments to get used to, as did the frame rate. The dialogue is annoyingly infrequent, but it does seem to carry an anime-like appeal most of the time.
The ED shows the silhouettes of the four girls at the beginning, so are they going to be the main cast of future episodes? Actually they will be irrelevant to everything, sry.
I am looking forward to the grand scheme Steel mentions.
EEEGGZELSIOR
Shades371Jul 22, 2017 11:55 AM
Anime exists
all is well
Jul 22, 2017 11:41 AM

Jul 2007
I am absolutely IN!

Hiroshi Nagahama so far created some of the most unique and awesome works with both Flowers of Evil and Mushishi, so I can't wait to see what he does with this.

While plot is a bit unclear so far, there is some nice self-awareness about superhero culture and there are some nice homages to 80's comic books.

As long as the story is coherent this will be a joyride

4/5
Jul 22, 2017 11:55 AM
Sep 2016
I feel that this is gonna be either great or is going to be the stepping stone for something great. My only problem currently is the fight scenes in the sense that there is no weight to the punches. The sound track is great and the art style is also great. This is gonna be an interesting show to follow.
Jul 22, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 2016
Oh boy. Where to start....
The reflection is...int resting to she least. I will not say a master piece. far from it. But It shows a lot of interesting potential. Sadly this first episode is very lacking.

The style is interesting an very much fun to see. It feels comic book like but also like an anime. Sadly the quality is not there. The movements are stilted a lot. There is a great use of just motionless moments and I am pretty sure this is not a 24FPS animation.

What is a true offence is the sound design. while I like the songs used and I find the pick of Sky show to play when I-guy fights a good pick. But more often the sound is way so quiet or there is no sound at all. I had several moments in the episode I thought the episode was paused.

As for story. It was really really starved on story. Most of anything came right at the end in a flood of exposition while the majority of the episode you are left wondering what is going on.

Overal. This episode was not good. It should have been way better than it is. I do hope the second episode fixes a lot of these issues and at least gets some damn better production quality. And yeah I will watch the second episode. It was good enough to get me to at least give that a try, but it's really leaning towards a drop by episode 3 if it doesn't shape up.

On a lighter side. Stan Lee narrating the next episode preview and saying his signature line was delight. It may not fix anything about the episode itself but hey it's cool to hear him do stuff like this.
Jul 22, 2017 12:15 PM

Apr 2014
TJHooker said:
moodie said:

japzone said:
moodie said:

No one is forcing me to watch it but I see this as an insult to anime in the sense that this director is one of the most talented guys in the industry. And for his talents to be reduced to something influenced by western idelogies that really has plagued hollywood is disheartening for me. I know to you guys its just simple as "just leave dont watch it" but when you have been watching anime for years upon years almost more than a decade, you cant just let everything go.

Umakoshi Yoshihiko designs are totally wasted. And because he is the character designer he now has to regulate the animation direction of this series, which takes time off from his other anime. Splitting his workload into two projects. Its obv that Stan Lee has more weight which is a shame that he will probably be focusing his attention here rather than other projects. Then you have the director Nagahama Hiroshi who is insanly ambitious. I would kill for another project by him and to find out he has to work on this just breaks my heart.

So there, thats my reasoning behind my disdain. Knowing Stan Lee this will end up devaluing all the great staff members talents for the sake of a crappy comicbook hero type anime.
Jul 22, 2017 12:16 PM
Jul 2017
Before I watched this episode, I didn't watch any promotional videos and knew nothing about the show other than the title, its genre, and Stan Lee's name on it. I have to say, I was taken aback from the animation. It obviously strays from the typical art style most animes have. I want to say that this takes me back to my DC comic book fangirl days but in all honesty, episode one hasn't given me that intense feeling of 'characters jumping out from the panel' type of action yet, if you know what I mean. If they plan on adopting the western comic book art style, I hope they could replicate those panels that portray dynamic action scenes that I love so much to this day.

Even though I'm a huge fan of anime, I believe that western comic book art like DC and Marvel is far more superior to manga art. I'm sorry.

So far, I'm not exactly hooked but we still have a few more episodes to decide if this experimental style could work.
Jul 22, 2017 12:33 PM

May 2017
I-GUY sounds like he is some sort of Apple product (If they made robots instead of phones)
Jul 22, 2017 12:44 PM
Oct 2009
Good lord, this show has the style of a comic book... and also the animation as well. :/ This is the slowest moving show I've seen in a while, every scene lingers a little too long, and many frames have absolutely no movement whatsoever (a big no-no in animation I've heard). The show is decent, but I can't handle these flaws, it drives me nuts.
Jul 22, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2016
Here's the thing. The style itself is fine - in fact, it's distinct in the world of anime (and animation as a whole) by essentially emulating a comic book in motion, with heavy line work and darker colours. It's actually quite interesting on paper, no pun intended.

BUT...

The animation just isn't up to par. It's way too floaty and slow for superhero action. There's no energy, dynamism, weight, impact, speed, flash, flair - nothing, which makes the action the most boring parts of the episode, especially when we don't even know the characters yet to at least gain some emotional investment. The direction also doesn't do anything for it, with some important micro-events that should be exciting (like throwing a woman back up to a window they just fell out of) being awkward on account of slowness and weird cuts or editing mistakes. If it doesn't improve significantly, the presentation is going to be a major drag for the show.

A good story and cast could of course make up for this. There are hints of a more political or real-world implications plot line, with things like discrimination and certain self-aware lines showing up. I could see a future where this becomes a sort of deconstruction or at least parody of the "normal people suddenly gain super powers" premise. But the show hasn't really revealed its hand enough, so I'm not about to get my hopes up. Maybe I'll revisit this if it becomes notable in that regard, but for now, it's a skip for me.
PlasmatizeJul 22, 2017 12:58 PM
Jul 22, 2017 12:57 PM

Dec 2016
That animation really feels slow, and that really hurts that show....

But god, hearing Stan Lee voice in the end made it all better <3

shit!! he got me! that fucking Poly
boomed me! he's so good! (x4)
Jul 22, 2017 12:59 PM
Apr 2017
THIS IS JUST A REVIEW OF THE FIRST EPISODE
==========================================================
Ok, first let's acknowledge the elephant in the room - the visuals.
First off let me say this - I like the art style. The first scene where the kids are dropping lanterns in the water looks really good for example and the simplicity makes room for some goddamn gorgeously animated scenes, but that's just the problem with the visuals, the animation. Don't get me wrong seeing that green laser guy swoop around the city was pretty hot but when it came to the action it was just straight up bad. Each attack had no weight at all behind it, the style is simplified so fricking much at some scenes which is only acceptable if the animation is kicked up a notch. With swooping cameras and intense quake effects the show could have been almost completely saved the episode in my opinion. I doubt it's gonna get much better in later episodes but only time can tell.

What I think it lacks at the moment -
Animation Direction
A few oddly directed shots

The premise is good, it makes room for great characters and cultures, and conflicting morals.

There's been pretty much nothing to say for the characters at this point, we don't even know most of their names .-.

I'm gonna continue watching since it's story shows some promise. I like the mystery.
The first episode doesn't leave the best impression and makes you think it has a shitty budget.

(shoulda went with madhouse)
Jul 22, 2017 1:08 PM

May 2016
Jesus, the saltiness is real.
I'm not watching this because I found it boring, but it's really funny to see some people (not specifically on MAL) saying that this will ruin anime, like wtf xDDD
Jul 22, 2017 1:19 PM

Aug 2013
Top Kek salt is real. I'm interested to see where this goes considering it's an ambitious undertaking. The style almost reminds me of Concrete Revolutio.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 22, 2017 1:29 PM

Jun 2015
Decent start for this show. The art and animation is very much the style of a comic book. The OST is very good though. Got to learn how people got powers. The hero that saved New York has a weird name. I'm curious how this will go.
Jul 22, 2017 1:31 PM
Jun 2016
I'm enjoying it enough to give it a chance, I like comic book stuff so I'm happy.
Jul 22, 2017 1:51 PM

Oct 2016
The comic book references are extremely clear.
The comic onomatopoeia with the big screens on the buildings was pretty cool, also the one line where they said "We're above them.[The FBI] If you have any complaints take them up to DC. "
That could be referencing Washington DC, but I feel its more likely referring to DC comics, although that would make me question how power is distributed in this world.
That aside, it's animation style is pretty cool as it mimics nearly perfectly the style of western superhero cartoons.

Although, I must say that the whole lack of drawing people's faces who are far away is kind of annoying, the closeups don't really redeem themselves as the faces are fairly basic.
Also I-Guy is clearly inspired by Iron Man, as we can't have a superhero "parody" anime without him, although I-Guy really lacks his personality.
The series is still lacks some key aspect of western superhero cartoons/comics.
Like the emphasis on the need for a superhero identity to protect the people around.
Or the rival to fight against, or the sidekick to fight alongside.
We really don't know much about the superheroes, or pretty much anything.

I expect very little from the plot as it's going to mimic the superhero stories of the west. meaning the plot is going to be somewhat linear.
The one thing that this does have is randomly cool visual moments, like with the screens on the buildings and the fights.
This series could either be horrendous, or okay. Maybe even good.
This first episode was okay, but it's up to the following episodes as to whether it'll rise or sink.
Jul 22, 2017 1:55 PM
Mar 2013
I don't mind the comic style but the animation is so slow and look kinda static. It really hard to watch it without getting annoyed by it. Maybe I need some time to get used to it.

As example, the scene when the X hero and the girl with camera looking at each other. There is no movement at all which make it so awkward when watching it. Its like looking at an image or comic in this case.
Jul 22, 2017 2:04 PM

Nov 2009
...nah, if I want actual comic book stuff I will refer to cartoons, thank you very much.

Not exactly my cup of tea this one but I can see why some would like it.
Jul 22, 2017 2:07 PM

Apr 2014
I didn't expect to get used to the artstyle so fast. I wish the animation was a bit more fluid tho. It just feels a bit too choppy at times.
I have a feeling that the story is going to play out kinda like it does in the X-Men where there's a huge conflict between the humans and the mutants.

The first ep has got me interested into seeing how this anime develops.

Jul 22, 2017 2:09 PM

Jul 2007
RealExtinction said:
...nah, if I want actual comic book stuff I will refer to cartoons, thank you very much.

anime is cartoons tho.
Jul 22, 2017 2:14 PM

Apr 2016
Fai said:
RealExtinction said:

anime is cartoons tho.

This. All the way. The only difference between cartoons and anime is really the location it originates from.
and even that is up for debate. So dividing them is pointless.
Jul 22, 2017 2:37 PM

Oct 2015
Honestly the first episode was kinda "bad" ill watch 1 or 2 episodes more and decide if i drop t or not...
Jul 22, 2017 2:41 PM

Oct 2013
@moodie , brother, you nail it on every word.
____
I expected a lot more from this...the synopsis looked good...but, this is the result?
The artstyle is frankly disgusting.

everything looks bad in this thing: plain, total lack of detail, everything looks paint-ish

After having some awesome superhero anime in the past years...this looks like some cheap project that would show up on youtube...

I mean, we saw pure awesomeness with OPM, we saw social and moral issues with Concrete Revolutio, and we're having the great ride that is My Hero Academia.

let's see if the story gets good, because that's the only point this cartoon still has to defend itself.
Jul 22, 2017 2:58 PM

May 2010
I was looking forward to this, but I will say I'm definitely conflicted. I'll have to give it a few more episodes to see how it plays out, but the padding was definitely unnecessary. It definitely would have made it better if it were condensed a bit, to 15 minutes or so, but that's just for this one episode, so again I'll have to see how it plays out.

The characters and their powers are all interesting. Stan Lee does it again. The question will end up being if that's used properly with the animation and sound.
Jul 22, 2017 3:28 PM

Oct 2008
Well ... that was something.

Visuals weren't even that bad as everyone keeps saying.
The pacing and movements were a bit too slow.

But it certainly has something unique.

Giving it a few more EPs to decide wheater to drop it or not.

But nice Stan Lee cameo!
Jul 22, 2017 3:31 PM
Nov 2013
moodie said:
TJHooker said:

japzone said:

No one is forcing me to watch it but I see this as an insult to anime in the sense that this director is one of the most talented guys in the industry. And for his talents to be reduced to something influenced by western idelogies that really has plagued hollywood is disheartening for me. I know to you guys its just simple as "just leave dont watch it" but when you have been watching anime for years upon years almost more than a decade, you cant just let everything go.

Umakoshi Yoshihiko designs are totally wasted. And because he is the character designer he now has to regulate the animation direction of this series, which takes time off from his other anime. Splitting his workload into two projects. Its obv that Stan Lee has more weight which is a shame that he will probably be focusing his attention here rather than other projects. Then you have the director Nagahama Hiroshi who is insanly ambitious. I would kill for another project by him and to find out he has to work on this just breaks my heart.

So there, thats my reasoning behind my disdain. Knowing Stan Lee this will end up devaluing all the great staff members talents for the sake of a crappy comicbook hero type anime.

whatever helps you sleep at night :)
Jul 22, 2017 3:34 PM
Nirai Kanai

Dec 2012
After seeing this pop up on Crunchyroll, I decided to give it a chance not really knowing anything about it. While I appreciate the direction of the anime, overall I don't see myself returning to it.

I sort of understand the slower animations, it gave it a more 'real' feel to it compared to the styles of DBZ and other fast paced fighting anime. However, with the slowness also cam a lack of impact. At the beginning when I-guy punched one of the monsters twice in the face, it was extremely slow and just not exciting. I tried my best but I couldn't get beyond it. Also, what's up with the audio? Some parts were extremely quiet while some were well done. It just felt out of place.

Getting through episode one was a chore for me and I don't quite understand if there was a certain point of plot that I was supposed to attach to. Again, I'm not drawn in any way to return to it.

Also... I don't know which was work all of the American flags or a Michael Bay movie? lol

Anyway, develop your own opinion but I can't find this as something worth returning to.

The World Suffused with Sound.
Jul 22, 2017 3:50 PM

Apr 2016
pgmhecateii said:
That was some unique art there. Not a fan of American comics (or anything they make).

I started this series might as well see it to the end...
FiraDeviant said:

This. All the way. The only difference between cartoons and anime is really the location it originates from. And even that is up for debate. So dividing them is pointless.

You forgot to mention how the art, sound, music, quality, character design, story, plot, and everything else are better. It feels like anime has more impact on Japan than Western cartoons have on America...

I do not think you have seen more recent cartoons like Young Justice, Steven Universe, Gravity falls and even the new Teenage Mutent Ninja Turtles.

Yes animation is a bigger deal in japan. But its production value is no longer that big a difference anymore. The one major divergence is still location of origin and with shows like Space Dandy that is also slowly disappearing. The western world may not appreciate animation as much yet. But It is getting there. And what we have is pretty on par with your avarige anime.
Jul 22, 2017 4:03 PM

Sep 2015
As everyone's said the animation feels slow and there's really no force to the action. I really like the music and the ideas of the show are good. I'm just gonna give it an episode or two to get going before I make a judgement call. It's promising to say the least.

Credit goes to the guys at Minimalistic-Animoo Deviantart Group for the vectors.
Jul 22, 2017 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
well it was boring since the story telling pacing is so slow just like the other popular shows of this director lol

im gonna dropped this one
degJul 22, 2017 4:54 PM
Jul 22, 2017 4:19 PM

Jun 2013
At least, it's an unusual anime. Just for that, it's deserve a chance.

The BGM's and soundtracks are wonderful (not just the main theme).
Jul 22, 2017 4:31 PM

Mar 2016
I didn't read the summary before watching this first episode...and well...it caught me off guard at first! The art style will take some getting used to and the style of the story too. A superhero anime and collaborative effort between Stan Lee and Studio Deen! I'm down! Let's see how this progresses...
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Jul 22, 2017 4:31 PM

Oct 2014
i don't really know what i feel about this. i like alot of the animation, its very interesting. and also that OST is great so far. but alot of what happens in this is EXTREMELY confusing. like why are the billboards in that battle with I-Guy showing nothing but American flags? and then showing outer space with comic effects? and then people in the crowd shouting a song's name? What?!

the powers seem like they made them on the spot, like one of the villian has long spikes as a power, but also has....melting powers? and can turn objects into real moving things? nothing was explained!

but i would say the worse part of this is the slow pacing! like it's molasses how slow certain scenes go. like we will have a minute or so of dead air with characters looking at each other, is this suppose to create suspense? because its more boring your audience. this series could have been better if it was as short as Ninja Slayer for example, because not that much happens in here.

this is not how you do a first episode, but i'll give it a benefit of a doubt, as its just beginning. maybe it might bounce back in the next couple of episodes, or have a cult-following like what happened to Kemono Friends. who knows?!
NintensityCrowdsJul 22, 2017 4:48 PM
Jul 22, 2017 4:40 PM

May 2015
Eh, I think it will take a while for me to get used to this, and especially the art style.

Boring first episode in my opinion.... Definitely the weakest start this season for me. But since it's the first episode, hopefully it'll get better.

Jul 22, 2017 5:24 PM
Dec 2015
More cartoonist than even the modern cartoon. Not my style. Dropping this. Tagged watch pong than this
Jul 22, 2017 5:26 PM
Dec 2015
Fai said:
RealExtinction said:

anime is cartoons tho.
cartoons are more fluid in animation.
Jul 22, 2017 5:38 PM
Mar 2015
Vacu0us said:
it's been a while since I saw something that bad

that 25 minutes of my life I will never get back

This ^

moodie said:
Ya this isn't for me. A shame that this is what the director has to work with. Why couldn't he make more traditional looking anime smh.

Also, fuck stan lee, please ruin hollywood, not anime.

And this ^

I haven't seen that much of still scene since the last episode of neo genesis evangelion ...

That anime was "too much" america for me, really...

And as I am a masochist, probably I will see more and pain even more with this.

If you don't see superhero movies (like me), the superhero movies invades your hobby

Jul 22, 2017 5:48 PM

Feb 2008
Looks like a salt mine in here.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 22, 2017 6:01 PM

Sep 2011
Unique =/= Make it good. The shows art style did not help itself one bit. While in some places it looked okay, during the fight scenes you couldn't tell what the fuck was happening—that's atrocious. You'd think otherwise with simplicity. Also, the pacing of the story for the first episode was just bad and slow. Shows I dropped earlier—your generic shitty ones of this season—were more appealing than what I got here. Not good tbh. I was hoping for this to be a little gem, but it's far from it.

Dropped.

Mod Note: Calling people Autistic will get you banned. If you don't like their opinion, don't quote/comment them if you're going to be a little snob to them.
Jul 22, 2017 7:57 PM

Jun 2017
Looks like someone forgot to add the "Trash" tag, am I right?

Overall it was just bad. The pacing was too slow, and the animation was too weird. Not even going to bother adding it to my list.
Snot-nosed_BratJul 22, 2017 10:36 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

10 by theferrell »»
Jan 12, 2023 11:49 AM

» Any news of second season?

Keidohanna - Sep 20, 2019

2 by Daniel_Naumov »»
Dec 14, 2019 4:31 AM

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

53 by BikeGoneRampant »»
Jul 18, 2019 9:33 AM

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

33 by mar1217 »»
Sep 3, 2018 9:40 PM

» Hiroshi Nagahama is trying to get a season 2.

DatRandomDude - Dec 1, 2017

9 by Sephyros »»
Aug 22, 2018 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.