Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 16, 2017 9:48 PM

Jan 2013
Thank goodness that guy wasn't going to be a main character.
Decent first episode.
Jul 17, 2017 12:46 PM
Jul 2017
Gunslinger Girl will always be one of my favorites but this takes the "little girls disguised as spies/weapons" to a new level
Episode 1 was really strong---a good thing considering the amount of episodes the whole thing will be
Jul 18, 2017 2:13 PM

Sep 2013
Good ep. The world building is quite cool with some fancy tech. The middle part was starting to down the usual pity and save him route, but contrary, it pulled a realist 'fuck you' double-crosser, while still saving Amy.

Loli spies, will bait all you lolicons and @#$%^&* you!!!!
Jul 18, 2017 2:31 PM

Feb 2008
The world of Princess Principal is definitely an intriguing one. The amalgamation of steampunk and noir is a fine mix. The setting of a divided superpower makes matters even more volatile. In that regard, London is indeed a fine arena for spies to face off.

The production quality is up to bar, the animation is superb and the art department fares well. Yuki Kajiura's involvement is also good sign. It seems I will definitely stick around for more, particularly after such a heart-wrenching mission.

A solid premiere.
Jul 19, 2017 7:58 AM

Mar 2016
Cute girls killing people? No thanks.
Jul 19, 2017 9:39 PM

Jul 2015
1900's banging fashion
Jul 20, 2017 1:22 AM

Apr 2015
Japanese guys really love England don't they

Unquestionably strong, but really can't stand supposedly European characters being Japanese. What a shame
Jul 20, 2017 7:48 AM

Nov 2009
I expected something more realistic, something along the lines of Joker Game, I guess? But it's still pretty good, even if this fictional London is an obvious reference to post-WWII Berlin and we have Japanese ninjas and superpowers that let people fly and make huge objects like cars fly.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 20, 2017 9:44 PM
Nov 2012
pgmhecateii said:
I think this will be better than Clockwork Planet.

It is already.

Clockwork Planet's plot doesn't mesh. Neither do the gears; that anime is full of gears that don't do anything.
Jul 21, 2017 4:01 PM

Dec 2013
I was not prepared for this being so good!
Jul 21, 2017 10:13 PM
Jan 2011
Kimble was not at all inspired by that dude whose face melted in Raiders of the Lost Ark

Seriously though, this show is awesome. Might be AOTS for me
Jul 22, 2017 6:32 PM

Mar 2015
Early 20th Century Steampunk in a divided, world dominating British Empire that looks like it has James Bond aspects (Or perhaps more accurately The Avengers- the old espionage TV show, not the Marvel Comics superheroes). The music, animation and writing all seem very good.
The sword that takes life gives life
Jul 23, 2017 7:43 AM
Mar 2012
Joker game feel & period steampunk fashion with Actas quality loli ninjas. Just hope they dont pull another Actas branded delay+recap. Spy action done well for now, Ange very smooth in the hospital infiltration, tho it seemed like some Eromanga scene.
Kajiura ost very fitting.
End was kinda depressing for guy but at least insurance helps his sis.
So antigravity Cavorite & poisoning an important theme, and lies everywhere.
Jul 25, 2017 3:52 PM

Nov 2012
Xenocrisi said:
It was pretty good.

The ending was definitely something else
"Are you going to kill me"
"no, no, no, no"

Epic

Epic? Whao, for me that was stupid, like "please be patient, I have autism", but well, that´s how this works.

My Candies:

Jul 27, 2017 10:06 AM

Jul 2009
Great OP!
They lie so well that I believe in everything they say LOL
Jul 27, 2017 1:34 PM
Jul 2017
Lolis,good OP,steampunk,good plot with a twist,spies...what do you ask? ITS F@#KING GOOD
Aug 7, 2017 9:54 PM

Jun 2013
I hated this on the first watch because it seemed way too rushed and trying very hard to be dark. I couldn't really follow or care about what was happening, and the twist reminded me of the style of mystery solving that BBC's Sherlock has.

On a second watch, I'm still not exactly impressed by the writing, but things made more sense, and I kind of liked Ange and her cohorts. Even the twist was something that wasn't technically impossible to guess from the smaller hints (although I doubt anyone was able to recognize the acceptance letter on a first watch, with the barely legible stamp, so that's kind of a stretch).

I finally understood the Cavorite and the insurance angle, too.

The episode looked great, of course. The gritty steampunk aesthetic reminds me of Dishonored, and the concept of the spy girls takes me back to Gunslinger Girl, which stars smol cyborg operatives (although that show is much darker than this). Kajiura brings the heat with some fine jazz, which is not something I've heard from her before, so that's cool.

The concept of teenage girls as military spies is pretty contrived, so I understand why so many people are turned off by that aspect. Gunslinger Girl justified its own concept as a secret program where the government takes little girls who are extremely damaged physically or emotionally, turns them into cyborgs, brainwashes them and uses them as assassins. If we're lucky, maybe PriPri will attempt to justify its concept somehow as well.

TYxTxYT said:
Okouchi/10

Looking forward to how he fuck shit up this time.

Ah, the head writer of Code Geass, Kabaneri (and the anime adaptation of Planetes). That explains a lot of things, including why I didn't like this episode on the first watch. Apparently, school clubs and super edgy protagonists are a trademark of his. Well, just because I didn't like everything he's penned so far doesn't mean I won't be able to enjoy this.

My main problem with him is that he always uses way too many characters at the same time, and doesn't really know what to do with them. And both Code Geass and Kabaneri initially tricked me into expecting amazing things down the line, but those amazing things never came, only disappointing nonsense. He's also more concerned with being "cool" rather than being internally consistent and making sense in general, and his works seem to take themselves dead seriously, without a hint of self awareness. I guess that style might appeal to some people, but it's not my cup of tea.

So I remain skeptical for now, but the visuals and the music are just too good to miss. I want to see more of this world, and I guess I like Ange, too - for now.

AnimeFanboy1234 said:
Because without the lolis, the anime might as well be a live action. I'm sick of anime like 91 Days that go for a, "realistic mature look" or sports anime, when they could all be live action, and nothing would change.

Thinking about character design like that, and anime in general, is restrictive, in my opinion. Even shows with characters who look more "realistic" (like in Rakugo Shinjuu) are still animated with the 12 principles of animation (like solid drawing, exaggeration etc.) in mind. Backgrounds still have to be painted. Characters and props still have to be composited over the backgrounds. Effects still have to be applied. It's definitely not the same as live-action, nor can the difference between it and live-action be ignored. You may have a specific taste, but there isn't just one correct way to make anime.
LeeTailorAug 8, 2017 4:57 PM
Aug 19, 2017 2:49 AM

Jun 2016
That was an okay 1st episode. I liked it, though.

I liked the OP.

Such a waste male character, though. He's a cutie. Haha.

I loved the action in this show. STRONG LADIES! HAHAHA! FUCK YEAH!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 1, 2017 5:21 AM

Dec 2015
Wow, color me surprised! The episode was much more than I ever expected!! I thought I'd be more dissatisfied with lolis playing spies, but this was so good but I couldn't give one fuck about their age xD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 2, 2017 10:26 PM

Jan 2016
Ninja loli badass confirmed.
Sep 11, 2017 8:35 PM

Feb 2017
Im fine with this but the what the heck they had in their minds to do such awful engrish ED that doesn't fit the anime at all...(Location is the only thing) with all the violence etc. just like in Spice & Wolf
may appeal to some kind of people but jeez
koleySep 11, 2017 10:14 PM
Sep 17, 2017 1:10 AM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
Was nobody else concerned that Eric just carries birds around in tubes?

Oct 4, 2017 2:11 AM

May 2015
Antanaru said:
Edgy moeblobs in a steampunk London... Too bad it's moeblobs, it's impossible to take it seriously with a bunch of lolis. Could be what that last spy title was supposed to be if it wasn't boring as hell. Not then, not now, maybe next spy series will be fine.

What a childish complaint.

Oct 11, 2017 3:08 AM

Dec 2011
The map at the start faded out just as it was about to reach where I live. Disappointed.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 12, 2017 7:10 PM

Feb 2014
What just happened..?
Oct 14, 2017 7:38 AM

Nov 2011
Convinned by good ratings and trailer, I decided to start these souls, despite the summer season being over. So, as a start is not bad, the narration is full of action and the choreography is well done. Perhaps the characters are not suitable for the kind of story, but the narrative, in spite of that, has become quite bad in certain situations. The quality of drawings and backgrounds is very good. The character of Ange stands out over all the others or almost.
Dec 1, 2017 2:24 PM

Jun 2011
Aside from how easily they revealed themselves as spies, this seems pretty promising thus far. Not a fan of the obvious feels grab attempt though.. "hear me out i have this really tragic backstory.. teehee im just joking"

They also played the "im not truthful" card a little bit too much.. zero subtlety.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 17, 2017 6:38 PM

Sep 2008
Steampunk spy action in setting that reminds Berlin in cold war? Well, this was intresting episode. If this ends up keeping quality in this level this is some epic stuff. Only problem are moes and the high school bs.
Jan 5, 2018 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
Started watching for the OP, stayed for the spies/steampunk theme. And character development, ofc o3o
Jan 18, 2018 3:19 AM

Mar 2015
Wow this Ange is heartless!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 1, 2018 7:16 AM

May 2012
This sure was quite the lovely start! Really love the very eerie atmosphere as well with the steampunk touch to it! The overall characters seem quite nice and also has some interesting development from this first episode! Looking forwards what this anime will have to offer!
Apr 3, 2018 11:59 AM

Mar 2010
Dammit, I thought this was going to be fucking stupid, but it's actually really interesting and fun so far.
Sep 15, 2018 5:14 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
This is an interesting series from a first glance. At first it seemed like loli's in steampunk. Then it got dark.......and then the last scene sort of sealed it. The "no" repeated while shooting the fellow was such a nice touch. In for the ride and time to get some popcorn. 7/10 to start and we will see where it ends up.
Nov 18, 2018 8:18 PM

May 2018
"Are you going to kill me?"

Ange: No. No. No. No.

Damn, that was really good!
Feb 13, 2019 2:35 PM

Feb 2012
Alt hist version of Britain with a special macguffin material/substance. Code Geass vibes already...

Ending reminds of Spice & Wolf.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 4, 2019 3:20 AM

May 2010
It had to be explained to me that the sister got his life insurance.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 21, 2019 4:54 PM

Sep 2014
finally started this anime, dont know why I didnt watch it when it was airing, well now I can binge it.

Very good first episode, 3hz has some really nice animation. Its so fluent and their characters look very cute.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 3, 2019 2:07 PM

Jun 2014
This seemed relatively interesting, although I was rather bothered by the way the episode ended.

Jul 22, 2019 5:58 PM

Aug 2017
For a moment, I thought that the guy was to be saved. Their world is a bit confusing anyway. Pls don't be another Release the Spyce. That show was shit.

Spies are all liars.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 3, 2020 11:44 PM
Feb 2019
Ange is the G.O.A.T

Fucking cool. Fucking badass. Fucking moe. And fucking shit up like its just another day at the office. E P I C.
Mar 26, 2020 4:26 PM
Nov 2011
It seems pretty interesting. I am very mixed on the English dub because the accents don't sound genuine and they all sound the same, I'd imagine the characters would have different accents for their different upbringings and history. I will re-watch this episode in Japanese and see how my thoughts evolve.

Maybe they'll grow on me. We'll see.
5ilver42Mar 26, 2020 4:31 PM
Dec 25, 2020 11:49 AM

Jul 2017
Rewatching Princess Principal 3 and a half years later, one of the first seasonal anime I saw and one of the first I enjoyed too. Had good memories with it and its time I refresh myself with this show, while experimenting with the dub since I heard some interesting opinions about it from a friend of mine.

The first episode was all guns blazing with action and deception. I loved the showcase of the 20th century British steampunk setting, looked incredibly fascinating and exciting to watch how the setting was presented and there was some nice detail put into the little details like the clothing, the vehicles, etc. The dub takes it a whole other level by having the dub voice actors/actresses speak with hokey British accents to fit with the setting, which is definitely unusual compared to the tons of other anime dubs I've seen, especially with a British setting too involved. The outcome of that move is a mixed bag initially, as while it fits the setting a lot more and feels refreshing and dialogue is much better than how it was subbed, some of the voices sound much older than how old the characters are or how they look, creating a bit of an odd clash there. Definitely will take some time getting used to this, but I rate the risk a lot and it seems more fun to experiment this way with the show rather than go with the Japanese option, which doesn't feel right with the atmosphere of the show for me.

The OP as a whole was awesome, so much personality and excitement in that one with an absolute banger of a song that fits the steampunk nature of the show too. For an anime opening, you couldn't ask for much better that would fit a show like this, hell of a job overall. ED is nice too, and the music in general by Yuki Kajiura was really nice to listen to, and refreshing for her field since she gets to experiment more with the jazz style while having highlights of her traditional trademarks that she uses in her OSTs. Defintiely sounds intense and just fun to listen to without feeling similar to her previous OSTs, although I definitely prefer some of her other works like the Kara no Kyoukai one for how magical the atmosphere is created by that one to complement the tones of the show beautifully.

Finally, the characters seem nice so far, especially Ange being the highlight of the show easily but Dorothy is great too from initial impressions. Can't wait to see the cast kick some ass more in the upcoming episodes where we get to know them better since this episode just introduced them mainly.
May 29, 2021 1:12 AM

Dec 2020
gonna be honest i didnt pay attention at all to that first part before the op. but op played and got me excited for the show, loved it. great first episode, im interested in the story, world, plot, whatever im interested in everything here. the way we dont know if they lie or not is pretty nice too, revealed so little and so much in this first ep, im hooked
Jun 6, 2021 9:55 PM
Oct 2019
idk about this. it's kind of dry and stuffy, or trying too hard? (the proper british english and all...watching the dub)

5/10 first episode
Jul 2, 2021 2:01 AM

Feb 2020
It was s nice first episode.

The 20th century setting with steampunk vibes is pretty cool.

SerafosJan 11, 1:11 AM
Aug 23, 2021 11:33 AM

Jul 2017
@animejas I side with you for everything, somehow the re-watch makes the experience a lot better to digest.

I wished my seasonal discussion game was early alongside my reviews, because this show, re-watching 4 years later now, is still great with the non-linear story plot of a 20th Century steampunk Britain, the Princess Principal spy team of Ange, Beatrice, Chise, Dorothy and Princess Charlotte still being as versatile as I remember wholeheartedly, and specially with the outstanding music.

Even with Yuki Kajiura on the OST (of which this is the first seasonal show that I've watched that has her name under it), the banger of Void_Chords' OP and the sweet ED, only brings back so much awesome memories of one of the most underrated anime of 2017.

Let the recap feels begin for this one.
Aug 26, 2021 5:06 AM

Jun 2016
This opening ep feels like it should have been somewhere midway through the season. Done on purpose, I assume. Unsure if it's a good way to introduce characters. At least the premise of the show is easily identifiable.

In terms of action, this ep was pretty good. The setting is by far the shows best quality, atm. I just dig the look and feel of it. The girls seem likeable, too.
A-Simple-SquireAug 26, 2021 5:18 AM

Nov 19, 2021 8:38 PM

May 2020
Damn, quite a first episode. I haven't watched an opener to a show like this in quite a while.
Dec 23, 2021 4:20 PM

Aug 2021
I may not remember well anymore but I think this is the second spy anime I've watched?
Apr 23, 2022 1:51 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
What is this absolute work of art and why haven't I heard about it until now

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

102 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 17, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

132 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:11 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Thatonebadbro - Sep 24, 2017

183 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

117 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 11:43 AM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2017

141 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.