New
Jun 26, 2017 5:52 PM
Aug 2015
"It's better than nothing."
"That happened in the manga also."
"The art in the manga is too detailed for it to NOT be animated in shitty CGI."
"You're just nitpicking!"
"Stop being so unappreciative!"
"X character is supposed to be as annoying/unbearable/unintelligent/unlikable as they are."

Not sure if this would count as a simple listing thread, but you might want to discuss these overly appreciative people.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 26, 2017 7:17 PM

Apr 2015
Seems like we got another buthurt berserk 'Fan' over here folks.

And yes, you should stop being so unappreciative. There are hundreds upon hundreds of manga that never get a single adaption, let alone 3 different adaptions. You fail to realize what the purpose of an adaption is, and that's typically to continue advertising for the source material.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 26, 2017 7:19 PM

Jun 2015
Tfw people pretend these bad anime had a good source.

Jun 26, 2017 7:23 PM

Apr 2016
The worst excuse of them all: "The manga was better"
Jun 26, 2017 8:38 PM

Oct 2015
huehuehue berserk fans, i mean i feel you tbh cause sure it doesn't have to be a good adaptation but man, those clanks are wryyyyyyyy
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jun 26, 2017 8:47 PM

Sep 2015
If you do not like it, than do not watch it!
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jun 26, 2017 9:01 PM

Sep 2009
FullmetalAlias said:

Not even an excuse. As if the source material is supposed to make the anime better.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 26, 2017 9:42 PM

Aug 2015
"You haven't read the manga yet" is also a pretty common one lol
Jun 26, 2017 9:52 PM

Jan 2016
"Just turn your brain off and enjoy the show."

I wish people stop saying this. Criticism is a part of appreciation right?
Jun 27, 2017 12:42 AM

Jun 2015
If you are insulted by cartoons you may be part of the problem yourself.
:)
Jun 27, 2017 1:32 AM

Sep 2015
"It's not a plothole, it's explained in the **source material**."
Jun 27, 2017 1:33 AM

Jul 2013
Heldengeist said:

Granted sometimes people do complain about plot holes in something when either it was intentional or well is explained xD Granted I understand where you are coming from.
Jun 27, 2017 1:43 AM
Jul 2014
You said "shitty adaptation." Why'd someone bring up new Berserk? That doesn't fit. So what are you all's favorite anime?
Jun 27, 2017 3:05 AM

Feb 2013
On_the_Lam said:
"X character is supposed to be as annoying/unbearable/unintelligent/unlikable as they are."
is this about Shirou being retarded? xD
Jun 27, 2017 3:50 AM

Feb 2016
i don't know what are you talking about

Jun 27, 2017 3:53 AM

Jul 2015
"It's better than nothing."

this kill me inside
i prefer nothing over a shitty adaptation
Jun 27, 2017 3:58 AM

Dec 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
FullmetalAlias said:

Not even an excuse. As if the source material is supposed to make the anime better.

People usually say that when people start attacking the series as a whole (or even the source material) based on having tried and disliked the anime. Not when people are clearly saying that the anime is bad. And even when they are it's usually meant as a "yeah the anime was badly done but you might want to try out the source material instead to see what it's supposed to be like".
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 27, 2017 4:05 AM

Feb 2016
romagia said:
On_the_Lam said:

its about Shinji being a pussy, but it applies to pretty much every eva character... 'muh relatability'

OT: dont like it? dont watch it. or at least dont spread your negative aura onto others

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jun 27, 2017 4:12 AM

Sep 2016
like berserk, toriko, tokyo ghoul and countless unfinished LN trash?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jun 27, 2017 4:26 AM

Oct 2015
TheUnknownPC said:
"But the source material is way better"
A pathetic way to excuse trash, if the anime was garbage, chances are, the source will be just as bad.

granted i can only think of 2 exceptions, but it takes alot of butchering to get to that lvl where that can become an excuse
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jun 27, 2017 4:30 AM
Jul 2018
"The Visual Novel had 100X more pointless exposition and sex scenes that totally explain everything"

Not like I have any particular fandom in mind.

Fucking fate fags

Tsukihiko said:

This is beautiful.

Scarlett_ryuken said:
TheUnknownPC said:
A pathetic way to excuse trash, if the anime was garbage, chances are, the source will be just as bad.

granted i can only think of 2 exceptions, but it takes alot of butchering to get to that lvl where that can become an excuse
Is this the time for the "Deen will find a way" joke?
Jun 27, 2017 4:32 AM

Oct 2015
Darek said:
"The Visual Novel had 100X more pointless exposition and sex scenes that totally explain everything"

Fucking fate fags

Tsukihiko said:

This is beautiful.

Scarlett_ryuken said:

Is this the time for the "Deen will find a way" joke?

oh yea thx to you reminding me, that's 4
tsukihime, rewrite, f/sn, and berserk

tsukihime and f/sn cause whoever is the genius that wanted to combine all the vn routes into 1, rewrite cause it cant decide whether to adapt vn route or go anime original and berserk cause well...
Jun 27, 2017 4:36 AM
Aug 2011
InsaneLeader13 said:

And yes, you should stop being so unappreciative. There are hundreds upon hundreds of manga that never get a single adaption, let alone 3 different adaptions. You fail to realize what the purpose of an adaption is, and that's typically to continue advertising for the source material.

Uh no.

He has a right to be mad when someone makes a shitty adaptation. Why should be appreciate the godawful adaptation? They could have animated it well and not CG, but instead made a shitty cash grab.

Yes it is advertising but you can do better than this, my hero academia, attack on titan are advertising but clearly those have a lot better care behind them than berserk does.
Red_Ryu12345Jun 27, 2017 6:47 AM
Jun 27, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2013
Tsukihiko said:

So, Berserk best comedy of the year confirmed?
Jun 27, 2017 4:57 AM

Mar 2012
Well yeah think that cramming 50+ hour of story into 12 x 24 minutes is a good idea.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 27, 2017 5:12 AM
Aug 2015
InsaneLeader13 said:

Seems like the first one to contribute to the thread is one of those appreciative types, folks. I'd rather get no adaptation at all than something that makes me want to gouge my eyes out. What the hell is even the point of an adaptation that looks garbage, sounds garbage and doesn't even follow its source material correctly?

MortalMelancholy said:
FullmetalAlias said:

To be honest, an adaptation can always improve its source material, but that rarely ever occurs.

Darek said:

Sexposition.
archaaiJun 27, 2017 5:19 AM
Jun 27, 2017 5:13 AM

Oct 2014
Red_Ryu12345 said:
InsaneLeader13 said:

Uh no.

He has a right to be mad when someone makes a shitty adaptation. Why should be appreciate the godawful adaptation? They could have animated it well and not CG, but instead made a shitty cash.

Yes it is advertising but you can do better than this, my hero academia, attack on titan are advertising but clearly those have a lot better care behind them than berserk does.

And then the fact that Berserk, one of the most celebrated and loved Mangas ever made that already got a well made 1997 Anime and a Movie trilogy, doesn't need an advertising.
So just making an half assed Ad doesn't do it justice.

Just look at FMA, HxH and JoJo.
All 3 of them are also some of the Most loved manga series that also already had an older adaptation, but these series got A better and more loved (where the Studios ectually cared for the series) Anime adaptations later DESPITE their mangas already being successes.

So seeing Berserk being treated like this is just BAD.
Jun 27, 2017 5:24 AM

Jun 2011
SpaghettiSpike said:
romagia said:

its about Shinji being a pussy, but it applies to pretty much every eva character... 'muh relatability'

OT: dont like it? dont watch it. or at least dont spread your negative aura onto others

Evangelion is an original anime. So I don't know how you can talk about Neon Genesis Evangelion like that when it is not an adaptation. The manga is an adaptation of the anime. The manga which is very good.

And since characters like Shinji are so rare maybe you should just piss off? Every character who tries to copy him seems to get it wrong.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 27, 2017 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
On_the_Lam said:

Why is that an excuse for anything? It doesn't mean you must appreciate a character, because he was supposed to be that way, but at least it's well-written, if you actually hate those characters, who are made to hate. I mean, it depends on your taste too, but... that's not an excuse?

"That happened in the manga also."

Eh ... and what is the problem with that? XD

FullmetalAlias said:

That's not an excuse. That's a simple opinion.
Jun 27, 2017 5:42 AM

Nov 2009
Scarlett_ryuken said:
TheUnknownPC said:

In my experience, most adaptations are not as good as the original.
But Mahou Sensei Negima is particularly unfortunate, as the people in charge of adaptations didn't get the memo about what is good about Negima.

Heldengeist said:

Plot hole = contradiction that cannot be explained. Since the source material explains it, it can be explained, and hence not a plot hole.
Jun 27, 2017 6:08 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
Heldengeist said:

Plot hole = contradiction that cannot be explained. Since the source material explains it, it can be explained, and hence not a plot hole.

It is, since you MUST know the source material or research after watching. The adaptation doesn't provide an answer or means to find it out yourself without outside source. An adaptation must be interpretable independently. If it is not, it's a flawed adaptation.
Jun 27, 2017 6:10 AM
Aug 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
SpaghettiSpike said:

Evangelion is an original anime. So I don't know how you can talk about Neon Genesis Evangelion like that when it is not an adaptation. The manga is an adaptation of the anime. The manga which is very good.

And since characters like Shinji are so rare maybe you should just piss off? Every character who tries to copy him seems to get it wrong.

I've never hated Shinji. I even liked him at times. Evangelion features a great cast. Even the most lackluster characters (sadly, Shinji being one of them) are way more interesting than most of the shitty protagonists in most anime today.

Jun 27, 2017 6:10 AM

Feb 2016
@Jonouchi-Katsuya
>since characters like Shinji are so rare maybe you should just piss off
great argumentation, evafags getting triggered over anything just like always. Also I was just joking with my gypsy pokemon buddy

The statement can be applied to any sort of work, like any of the last three quotes OP used.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jun 27, 2017 6:17 AM

Jun 2011
On_the_Lam said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

I've never hated Shinji. I even liked him at times. Evangelion features a great cast. Even the most lackluster characters (sadly, Shinji being one of them) are way more interesting than most of the shitty protagonists in most anime today.

Jun 27, 2017 6:19 AM

Jun 2011
SpaghettiSpike said:
@Jonouchi-Katsuya
>since characters like Shinji are so rare maybe you should just piss off
great argumentation, evafags getting triggered over anything just like always. Also I was just joking with my gypsy pokemon buddy

The statement can be applied to any sort of work, like any of the last three quotes OP used.

Eva fags aren't near as triggered as those who cling to properties which contain inferior Shinji Clones.

Also I wasn't triggered. Why does saying swears playfully sound mad?

*swears in real life, wants to swear online just as much*
Jun 27, 2017 6:39 AM
Aug 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
On_the_Lam said:

Jun 27, 2017 6:46 AM

Nov 2009
Heldengeist said:
flannan said:

It is, since you MUST know the source material or research after watching. The adaptation doesn't provide an answer or means to find it out yourself without outside source. An adaptation must be interpretable independently. If it is not, it's a flawed adaptation.

In my experience, for most claimed "plot holes", it is fairly easy to construct an explanation without referring to any supplemental material. Why is Kirito so strong? Well, he trained a lot, duh. Why he does not die when he is killed? Cyber-telepathy, duh. How does he know...? He researched it beforehand, duh.

It's when people start asking for weird details that we have to refer them to the original work, because that's what the original works are for.

On_the_Lam said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

flannanJun 27, 2017 6:50 AM
Jun 27, 2017 7:44 AM
Aug 2011

Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
SpaghettiSpike said:

If you are making your characters hateful, terrible and unlikable. You need to replace that with something. Why they are who they are can work, but if you can't relate to that, which is the case for me, why should I care or want to watch a show like that? I can watch hateful unlikable characters but what even makes eva's even relatable?

I don't see reliability in letting people die for my emo problems. Yup letting people die so I can feel better, how relatable. Then we can repeat trying to fix this ad nauseam for the rest of the series until "congradulations!" Or the director trying to literally give the middle finger to his fans who hated the first ending. Mix it in with a scene where a character decides to relive himself on a comatose girl and I lose all caring of wanting to see him make it out alive or be happy.

Or not helping my son out despite it fucking over my own plans in the long run and have shown to be incredibly ambitious in my goals and how far I will go for them. Nah it's better to screw myself over and be distance, just cause we need to add more drama.

Or an unlikable tsundere who really is one of the most hateful characters ever to show up in anime. Talks tough all the time but pretty much loses every single robot fight in the series yet still talks like she actually has any shred of way how she has shown herself to be what she says but oh well. Gotta take it out verbally and psychically on everyone because "QQ I am stressed out." Or ya know when people want to help comfort you, gotta act like a fucking prick to them because that is so relatable right?

I don't care how much it makes sense, they do have some validity to them. They are all obnoxious and hateful people to the point I literally stop caring about their issues. How convenient all of the worst people left after the apocalypse are all in one organization. Except Misato, and maybe Rei.

I am saying all of this in a long rant to show you why hateful and unlikable character can ruin something for someone. If you didn't replace it likable characters, or I guess ones people could relate to. I can see why that would be a problem for people who watch a show or adaptation.

If Eva was something like Scum's Wish where yeah they are horrible but it isn't set in a situation like the apocalypse where people would rather let millions die just so they can be happy. I probably would like that anime more. Everything put together just kills it dead to for to where I gave it and the movie a 1/10.

I don't ask every character be likable and many other people here don't. They just ask if they are, don't make them that hateful and place them in a setting where it makes little sense.
Jun 27, 2017 7:48 AM

Jun 2017
I hate the mindset that anime are just "advertisement" for the source materials. Anime is a standalone type of media and it has its own values. Anime need to be judged separately from its source material.
Jun 27, 2017 7:49 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
"They didn't have good animators" or the classic : "They had a low budget"
Jun 27, 2017 7:53 AM

May 2016
What, so characters can't be designed to be annoying or dumb? Way to suppress possibilities. (Not talking about Subaru though, I didn't watched Re:Zero)

Either way, if it's in the source is in the source. The adaptation is just doing its job at that point.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 27, 2017 8:04 AM
Oct 2010
On_the_Lam said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

You realize what you are saying has nothing to do with bad adaptations right? If the character is supposed to be annoying/unlikeable w/e in the manga and is in the adaptation then it's a faithful adaptation. I mean even in the OP, how does saying something happened in the manga make it a bad adaptation? That makes no sense at all.
Jun 27, 2017 8:08 AM

Oct 2016
I agree with the excuse about turning your brain off.
Jun 27, 2017 8:11 AM
Oct 2010
flannan said:

Jun 27, 2017 8:15 AM

Apr 2015
I feel like "The manga is also garbage" is a pretty good excuse for an anime being garbage. If they don't have much to work with in the first place...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 27, 2017 8:18 AM

Feb 2016
The source material is my favorite work so the adaptation is totally good!!!! HATERS GONNA HATE
Jun 27, 2017 8:21 AM

Feb 2015
Why even bother? When most of the original source are just basically rip off other LNs?

Jun 27, 2017 9:26 AM
Aug 2015
GD1551 said:
On_the_Lam said:

You realize what you are saying has nothing to do with bad adaptations right? If the character is supposed to be annoying/unlikeable w/e in the manga and is in the adaptation then it's a faithful adaptation. I mean even in the OP, how does saying something happened in the manga make it a bad adaptation? That makes no sense at all.

There are times when a single shitty protagonist can ruin an entire franchise.

_Ako_ said:
Why even bother? When most of the original source are just basically rip off other LNs?

Talk to me once you're legal.
Jun 27, 2017 9:28 AM
Aug 2015
Red_Ryu12345 said:

Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

If you are making your characters hateful, terrible and unlikable. You need to replace that with something. Why they are who they are can work, but if you can't relate to that, which is the case for me, why should I care or want to watch a show like that? I can watch hateful unlikable characters but what even makes eva's even relatable?

I don't see reliability in letting people die for my emo problems. Yup letting people die so I can feel better, how relatable. Then we can repeat trying to fix this ad nauseam for the rest of the series until "congradulations!" Or the director trying to literally give the middle finger to his fans who hated the first ending. Mix it in with a scene where a character decides to relive himself on a comatose girl and I lose all caring of wanting to see him make it out alive or be happy.

Or not helping my son out despite it fucking over my own plans in the long run and have shown to be incredibly ambitious in my goals and how far I will go for them. Nah it's better to screw myself over and be distance, just cause we need to add more drama.

Or an unlikable tsundere who really is one of the most hateful characters ever to show up in anime. Talks tough all the time but pretty much loses every single robot fight in the series yet still talks like she actually has any shred of way how she has shown herself to be what she says but oh well. Gotta take it out verbally and psychically on everyone because "QQ I am stressed out." Or ya know when people want to help comfort you, gotta act like a fucking prick to them because that is so relatable right?

I don't care how much it makes sense, they do have some validity to them. They are all obnoxious and hateful people to the point I literally stop caring about their issues. How convenient all of the worst people left after the apocalypse are all in one organization. Except Misato, and maybe Rei.

I am saying all of this in a long rant to show you why hateful and unlikable character can ruin something for someone. If you didn't replace it likable characters, or I guess ones people could relate to. I can see why that would be a problem for people who watch a show or adaptation.

If Eva was something like Scum's Wish where yeah they are horrible but it isn't set in a situation like the apocalypse where people would rather let millions die just so they can be happy. I probably would like that anime more. Everything put together just kills it dead to for to where I gave it and the movie a 1/10.

I don't ask every character be likable and many other people here don't. They just ask if they are, don't make them that hateful and place them in a setting where it makes little sense.

What the flying fuck did I just read?
Jun 27, 2017 9:33 AM
Oct 2010
On_the_Lam said:
GD1551 said:

There are times when a single shitty protagonist can ruin an entire franchise.

I agree, but that has nothing to do with the adaptation itself.

Speaking of the protagonist that you mentioned, making him powerful, less annoying etc etc would actually be a bad adaptation and also go against the intent of the source material. That would be a bad adaptation, even though you may like that direction more.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

50 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

33 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

10 by TheMechaManiac »»
11 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.