Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 4, 2017 12:32 PM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally subbed. Faithful adaptation of first chapter.
May 4, 2017 7:57 PM

Mar 2012
I dunno how I feel about Asta's va, it's a 50/50 for me. In the end the OVA was enjoyable for me. I can't wait for the actual TV series to release.
May 5, 2017 12:48 PM
Mar 2016
Tbh, I'm glad this isn't the actual anime but only an OVA. The character design was much worse than in the manga, other than that it was ok, I guess.
I expect more than that from the actual anime. I'm glad Xebec is only doing the OVA. What I'm especially hoping for is that the character design in the anime will be more faithful to the manga than this.
May 5, 2017 1:01 PM

May 2009
TheEnhancedExe said:
Tbh, I'm glad this isn't the actual anime but only an OVA. The character design was much worse than in the manga, other than that it was ok, I guess.
I expect more than that from the actual anime. I'm glad Xebec is only doing the OVA. What I'm especially hoping for is that the character design in the anime will be more faithful to the manga than this.

Don't worry, Pierrot's work will be even shittier
May 6, 2017 5:57 AM
Mar 2016
bastek66 said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

Don't worry, Pierrot's work will be even shittier

Tbh, I think they've yet to fuck up a Shounen Jump adaptation. I haven't watched Yu Yu Hakusho or Beelzebub, so I can't really comment on both of them, but based on ratings, it doesn't really look like they are much worse than the manga.

Yes, Naruto and Bleach did have fillers, but the canon adaptation is what really matters. The Naruto canon adaptation was really well done other than the stuff between Obito Jinchuuriki and the Madara stuff before Kaguya appeared. But the only reason the animation was so bad there, was because all of their best animation teams were working on two movies simultaneously.

I don't think Pierrot will fuck this up. I mean, you're probably right that they fucked up some series. I heard that Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom both had bad adaptations. I can't comment on both of them because I only watched the first two episodes of Tokyo Ghoul and read the first 20 chapters of Kingdom.

I don't see them doing the same mistake with a WSJ series with high potential though. Especially because the series will most likely run for a long time. Plus, as Boruto anime is directed by the former Bleach director, I wouldn't be surprised if the former Naruto Shippuuden director will be the director for Black Clover. Currently, he isn't working on anything as far as I'm aware. And he stopped working as a Naruto Shippuuden director after episode 479 which aired about two months before they announced the Black Clover anime at Jump Festa.
May 6, 2017 10:57 PM

Dec 2015
Well that was a pretty cliché, boring episode. Also the seiyuu for the MC was over acting most of the time.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 7, 2017 7:25 AM

Jan 2017
The episode was okay but may have had too many cliches, it made most of what happened in the episode predictable. I see some inspiration was taken from Naruto. This seems like it would make for a decent Shounen series but since it will be Studio Pierrot doing the adaptation... lol
BlackCiceroMay 7, 2017 7:35 AM
May 7, 2017 1:30 PM

Jan 2016
Some cons and pros but i can say that i'm looking forward to the actual tv series.

The best thing was probably that they keep Asta's impressed face expression and Yuno's i dont care expression (those are hilarious in the manga)

The worst thing was probably Asta's VA, i always imagined his voice being more like Hinata from Haikyuu. To be precise exactly like Hinatas
May 7, 2017 7:53 PM

Oct 2016
I did a review of the episode/special if you guys want to check it up.

Spoiler i didn't liked it.
May 8, 2017 8:38 AM

Dec 2014
Naruto and Sasuke 2?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2017 1:35 PM

Jul 2016
I am not familiar with the manga, but I see there was an OVA released with a volume and an upcoming tv series.

Has anyone seen the OVA who can comment on it? Should I watch that OVA, or wait for the tv series?

Is it something I could watch, given no knowledge of the source?

Or is it more like a pilot for the tv show e.g. these OVA Pilots which used the same footage: Drifters: Special Edition, Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Yotarou Hourou-hen.

Or it is more like a special meant for the manga fans which isn't canon and fits inbetween chapters? e.g. Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito.

May 8, 2017 6:27 PM

Jun 2014
Seems like your typical shounen series, nothing too special.

Someone else already mentioned this but I really expected Asta to sound like Hinata from Haikyuu. When I look at Asta I immediately think of silver-haired Hinata, so I'm kind of hoping they cast different VAs for the TV series (and hopefully Hinata's VA is selected to voice Asta).
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 11, 2017 9:14 AM

Nov 2016
Shounen tropes in a nutshell. That's basically not a bad thing as long as something stands out, unfortunately this wasn't the case, at least I didn't notice anything remarkable.

Wasn't enjoyable at all for me :(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 11, 2017 9:54 AM

Oct 2011
Omg so good. Can't wait for the TV series. Betting Funimation going to get this anime
May 11, 2017 10:47 AM

Sep 2012
mutsuto said:
I am not familiar with the manga, but I see there was an OVA released with a volume and an upcoming tv series.

Has anyone seen the OVA who can comment on it? Should I watch that OVA, or wait for the tv series?

Is it something I could watch, given no knowledge of the source?

Or is it more like a pilot for the tv show e.g. these OVA Pilots which used the same footage: Drifters: Special Edition, Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Yotarou Hourou-hen.

Or it is more like a special meant for the manga fans which isn't canon and fits inbetween chapters? e.g. Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito.

It's just a pilot like Saiki Kusuou. It adapts the first chapter of the manga.

I also didn't like a few character designs, but let's see how the "next" big thing turns out
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
May 11, 2017 11:09 AM

Sep 2013
It was okay, the yellow haired kid a sht.
Asta seems dope, a mix of naruto and natsu XD
May 11, 2017 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
I hope they change the VA for asta in studio perriots version.

Overall Ok

FireFistYamaan said:

The worst thing was probably Asta's VA, i always imagined his voice being more like Hinata from Haikyuu. To be precise exactly like Hinatas

I wanted a gruffer voice like boruto or hitsugaya or killua.
removed-userMay 11, 2017 9:06 PM
May 11, 2017 9:11 PM

Dec 2014
Maybe I'm missing the appeal, but this was shit. MC was punchable and everyone else wasn't much better. Seems like really standard but really bad shounen fare.

I'd LIKE the actual series to be better (Pierrot is doing it. Will they drag it on for 50-ish episodes like Sousei no Onmyouji? Who knows and who cares), but seeing how these type of things seem to fare for me (Drifters OVA, Big Order OVA) I severely doubt it will be.
May 11, 2017 10:16 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty faithful adaptation of the first episode.

I'm also fairly neutral towards Asta's VA choice but I got used to it pretty quickly. I do agree with some other people here that casting Hinata's VA would've been a really nice fit.

It's true that Black Clover is a fairly classic Shounen but it's still pretty enjoyable, so I'd suggest that everyone here wait for Pierrot's version before deciding on whether they wanna continue or not.
I hope Pierrot's version turns out good though. :3
May 12, 2017 4:29 AM

Nov 2011
It was decent I guess, can't say it was great since I'm not a fan of Asta's character especially given his perosnality. However, it did establish the basic principles of the premise and executed it right. The animation quality is okay on most parts.

Hope the TV adaptation will be in better quality though.
May 12, 2017 1:12 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
THis was a interesting ova, when we can enjoy with a new world, "mahou", Demons and two young kids that wants to get the "Magic King"!!!!
Action, mistery and laughs for this introduce ova!!

7/10 i hope watch in a future a series about this ova!!!
May 12, 2017 5:48 PM

May 2015
Eh, nothing special, it was ok. It had its moments.

5/10.

May 21, 2017 9:41 AM
Jan 2009
Clefairiess said:
Naruto and Sasuke 2?

That's what I'm thinking. Seems too close to Naruto to me, but that's just going by this episode. I know nothing about this so I'll at least give it a try when the series comes out.
May 26, 2017 3:21 AM

Jul 2012
I guess it was not that bad, but it could've been much better and i hope the tv adaptation will be, and pretty much what you expect from Xebec. In short not the greatest artstyle comparing to manga and the VA for Asta and Yuno felt so not fitting.
May 26, 2017 8:48 PM
Jun 2016
Somewhat cliche but still entertaining. The setting is interseting and has a nice vibe to it. The framerate though has quite the lag.
May 29, 2017 12:48 PM
Aug 2015
It's quite nice for me. The characters design are worse than the manga, but the visuals is great.. I don't like Asta's sound in the beginning, but i got used to it after watching the whole episode. Yuno's sound isn't bad either.. but i do agree with everyone about VAs change in the TV version..

The framerate tho.. i thought it only occurred on my computer lol.. hope Pierott will make the better adaptation.

4/5 for this OVA.
renzosparkMay 29, 2017 12:52 PM
Jun 10, 2017 5:34 AM

Nov 2016
It's somewhat predictable and has ALOT of similarities to Naruto but it looks good. So I'm looking forward to the TV series.
(I haven't read the manga)
Aug 5, 2017 9:15 AM

Dec 2012
Classic MC of Shounen. I didn't read the manga so maybe there will be some surprise, but it was very predictable so far.
They must fix the framerate, but except that, I think it will be an enjoyable anime with nice magic fights.
Aug 26, 2017 6:36 AM

Aug 2014
Pretty much reminded me why I hate everything about this series...well at least it was adapted faithfully.
4/10
Sep 15, 2017 2:16 PM

Feb 2013
Really interesting one.
Asta got his grimoire right at the perfect moment.
Sep 15, 2017 2:28 PM

Dec 2008
Ok shonen, kind of a Fairy Tail/Naruto mash-up. I can't wait yo see the actual anime series this fall.
Sep 17, 2017 2:53 PM
Jul 2014
thebrentinator24 said:

Someone else already mentioned this but I really expected Asta to sound like Hinata from Haikyuu. When I look at Asta I immediately think of silver-haired Hinata, so I'm kind of hoping they cast different VAs for the TV series (and hopefully Hinata's VA is selected to voice Asta).
Nothing too special, BUT DAMN IT'S ENTERTAINING!
Sep 17, 2017 2:57 PM
Jul 2014
thebrentinator24 said:

Lol, Hinata's voice actor is doing Luck's voice.
Sep 26, 2017 2:04 PM

Jul 2016
i thought i was watching the first episode of the upcoming tv adaption, believing that it had 7 episodes and now i'm sad that it was only a special episode bundled with the 11th volume. :[
i really enjoyed it, i didn't have the time to finish it in the morning but it was so good that i watched it even while brushing my teeth and i hate coming back to watch it in the afternoon as the feeling isn't quite the same. i find it weird that he's named asta and the other is named yuno. i expected for asta to get a four leaf clovered grimoire, but instead he got a op 'devil' grimoire. i know he's the main character and all but... a little typical when he beat up that magic guy, i mean he was pretty powerful if he was at that rank yet asta just slapped his ass with that humongous sword.

asta seriously reminds me of naruto, the way he was ridiculed by townspeople, had no living parents, no "talent" seen yet and how he never gave up. on the other side, his sasuke rival. this is intended to be a bad comparison in any way. there's something off about the animation art, i can't tell what. it just looks strange, i'd find myself wondering what exactly was it with yuno.
Oct 1, 2017 7:26 AM

Jun 2012
So cliche, the animation was terrible, and Asta was just shouting all the damn time. The comedy wasn't that funny either.

However, I did find myself getting interested in the last 5 minutes. This protag is so Naruto. I only hope the actual TV series is better than this. That intro was really, really corny and will probably turn a lot of people off.
Oct 2, 2017 4:55 AM
Jan 2015
Fuck me, this is bad.
This is a absolute cardboard cut out shonen, nothing new, absolutely nothing.

And of course he has 5 clovers when 4 are the absolute maximum everyone else can get.
If they also botch the character development that show will be aweful.
Oct 2, 2017 1:58 PM
Nov 2016
It stayed pretty faithful to the manga and tried to incorporate a lot of the gags which is really weird for a shounen series like Black Clover. Black clover has a quite a lot of comedy in the manga while other shounen series don't.

The CGI in the opening scene felt a little weird and the Voice actor for the male MC was over the top and not in a good way.

It was a chaotic adaption of the first few chapters but guess it has to be chaotic as it's only an Ova.

I have some hope for the anime but knowing Pierrot, I am not expecting an awesome anime.
Oct 3, 2017 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
I heard that the manga was freaking great.
I don't see any of that.
This anime is clearly really corny, and hammy, and...it just felt like every shounen action anime cliche, but exaggerated as though to say, "Hey, this is a shounen action anime"
Oct 3, 2017 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
adrian_and_sela said:
So cliche, the animation was terrible, and Asta was just shouting all the damn time. The comedy wasn't that funny either.

However, I did find myself getting interested in the last 5 minutes. This protag is so Naruto. I only hope the actual TV series is better than this. That intro was really, really corny and will probably turn a lot of people off.

What do you mean the animation was terrible? All anime have terrible animation.
Oct 4, 2017 7:30 PM
Sep 2017
Personally i thought the first ep was dope, i was looking for a new maim series shounen and i got it. the mc though i will admit is a bit on the loud side.
Oct 5, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2015
A completely by-the-numbers shounen, but that's okay. It's been a long time since I started naruto and bleach so i don't mind it having many of the same plot points. In fact it's kinda fun guessing stuff just using shounen knowledge; now I've just gotta wait and see if my predictions for the rest of the series come true.

Yuno has really weird facial expressions though. His resting face is so strange compared to all the other characters.

EDIT: Turns out I watched the OVA rather than the actual episode. Not much difference between the two; the anime had a better first scene, but I liked how the demon had looked in the OVA. Now I get what everyone means about the screaming though. If that doesn't ease up I might just wait for the english dub and hope that the english voice director has better sense than the japanese one.
Sahaal_17Oct 6, 2017 3:53 AM
Oct 29, 2017 2:51 PM

Oct 2015

But this OVA bags a lot of promises to the TV series and I hope they deliver a stellar show.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 31, 2017 7:00 AM
Sep 2017
i prefer the ova over the tv anime it's just so much better in a lot of different ways
Nov 27, 2017 8:56 PM

Dec 2012
Two dudes going at it.
Someone appears.
Who is that generic looking character?
WTF is that thing?
A kid wants to become the Magic Emperor when he gets older? Sounds familiar.
Oh snap! He's proposing to a girl with the promise he'll become the ME. Boss!
WTF! She's everyone's sister? She a hoe.
She got a cute face, nice booty, and nice oppai. I can see why Asta fell in love.
He can't use magic? Sounds familiar.
LMAO at Asta calling the church shitty.
Of course Asta didn't get his grimoire.
Yuno is attacked.
Dat flashback.
A grimoire appeared before Asta.
A sword?
5 leaf clover. A demon?
Hold up? Is that...angela? Did not expect them to perform in a shounen series.

And that was the end. It was...okay. I felt as though it took a bunch of stuff from other popular shounen series and combined it into this. A lot of deja vu. Anyway, ironic that I unintentionally watched this on 11/27, 1 year after it originally released.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 7, 2017 6:52 AM

Mar 2016
Wow, this was terrible.

I thought it was going to be better than the TV anime airing now, but no, this is genuinely garbage. Black Clover can't succeed because it is founded on mediocrity through and through. That's actually pretty sad. This means the manga is just as terrible.

Who wrote this story? Why did they do this?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2021 8:50 PM
May 2020
Watching this almost 5 years later and I’m on episode 150 thank God the anime didn’t turn out like this it would’ve been cancer. Studio pierrot is really about the curb stomp this anime for baruto I never thought I’d say that black clover ‘s good and it’s not actually a naruto clone.
Apr 24, 2021 10:41 AM

Nov 2015
disgusting beyond words... -.-'
who are ya tryna fool around here with forced twists of "oh yeah, kid's not gonna ma.. of wait, he did at last second and not his op friend"
cliche mc with plot armor was annoying and the fighting at the beginning was forgettable 1/10.
i watched too much naruto to know what it is going to happen heh.
ideal for those who never experienced da shounen xD or miss an old show..

đź’˘

May 25, 2021 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
This is just the first ep of Black Clover with some noticeable severely jarring changes, it has all the aspects that the original ep has, except... It's worse in one way and another... I understand that this was aired before the main series but wow the art style and animation is just off, I daresay revolting. At least it captures the essence of Black Clover for its first few arcs.
May 28, 2021 10:23 AM

Jun 2020
Nothing special to say the least but this presents a little bit more details than the TV one but I guess this seems really lacking well it is before the main series starts to be fair as a teaser.
Nov 17, 2021 7:04 AM

Jul 2015
Basically covers the first few eps of the tv series. While the animation and artstyle feel higher quality (perhaps just me), I prefer the other version. Also Asta's voice here is even more rough in my opinion so I'm glad they changed that in the series.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Low framerate and stuttering? Just me?

Surpuppa - May 7, 2017

3 by Kirito_online »»
Dec 12, 2018 12:56 AM

» have you prepere your popcorn yet?

Kuma - Aug 27, 2016

16 by Lucky_SLS »»
Dec 28, 2016 4:18 AM

» Black Clover to Have 'Super Important Announcement' This Weekend

DatRandomDude - Dec 13, 2016

1 by thebrentinator24 »»
Dec 14, 2016 3:12 PM

» First PV

TheEnhancedExe - Dec 1, 2016

10 by tsubasalover »»
Dec 4, 2016 10:57 PM

» studio?

IshigamiSenku17 - Sep 8, 2016

20 by ShiriFakku »»
Nov 12, 2016 6:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.