Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2017 6:51 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The wait was long for the second episode since the premiere but it was worth it. I found Chise and Riichi's character chemistry to be fairly well done.

We got to see Chise's past a bit more and what she is capable of. The music had its magic with the brilliant choreography. I think this had a more serious tone compared to the first episode. The creature that made its presence this episode gave a really malevolent feel. Can't wait for the third OVA!

Stark700Mar 9, 2017 7:32 PM
Mar 9, 2017 10:21 PM

Oct 2010
I'm shocked there are no replies yet. It's been out for four hours on Crunchyroll Premium, but only has 60 votes there so far, whereas within four hours a popular weekly show would have hundreds. So even considering the relatively low number of users who are CR subscribers, I guess many didn't actually literally mark their calendars (or whatever the digital equivalent is these days). Bump.

CR really could use a notification system, if they're going to target more periodical releases like this. Of course, in this popular case, the social network will get the word out soon enough.

What to say, though? Same as the first episode - love the foley / sound design and the music, and I appreciate how it elicits sympathy for Chise without feeling like a forced assault on the heartstrings. "You'll be lost if you didn't read the manga" is probably more true now than in the first part, but on the other hand, the announcement of the TV series justifies my procrastination of starting it.

As an occasional glass mosaic artist, I'm incredibly distracted every time I see mosaics that look like they were made with the Photoshop stained glass effect. It's a luxury when my worst "problem" is something trivial like that.
Mar 9, 2017 11:41 PM

Jun 2015
Waited for so long for the second OVA. Chise and Riichi's chemistry was nice. She spent a lot of time at the library than at home because of family problems. The music was great. The creature at the end was creepy.
Mar 10, 2017 2:12 AM

Dec 2014
Beautiful episode once again but with a really heartbreaking ending. T.T

Art, animation and the soundtrack are excellent just as the first episode was.

Was really heartwarming to see how Chise was able to find solace in the library, with all her issues from family to monsters, it was really nice to see that there was one place where she could wear a smile. That entire montage was really beautiful and put a smile on my face.
The scene with Mirua showing Chise the magically starlit library was absolutely amazing.

I guess not everything ends happily, there's more to the library than it would seem. Miura seems to be obeying those other creatures in the library and tries to stop Chise from coming for some reason. One things leads to another and now the library lies destroyed by some weird monster that was formed from black rats. I knew that rule about always closing the door would be the cause of something. :(
The ending scene with Miura entrusting his treasured book to Chise was really heartbreaking both in terms of Miura's death and the fact that Chise lost the one place where she found peace of mind. :( I'm glad she found a home in the future, her past is still really sad though.

Looks like the next episode is gonna be about Chise trying to return Miura's book to Mayumi.

Watching this reminds me that I still haven't read the latest 3 chapters of the manga, I should really get to that. Anyway, I'm super happy that this is getting a full TV series as well. :D
Mar 10, 2017 6:42 AM

Nov 2011
Ah! The nature and the starry sky, that wonderful performances! Narratively, is much more convincing than the first OVA, the soundtrack is really nice, as was the one in the first OVA. In terms of design, quality is good, but not constant, because in certain situations was spectacular, I mean the starry sky, but in others a little less spectacular. I venture a hypothesis, but throw it there unpretentious: in my opinion, the old woman seen in this episode, is the character of Mayumi.
After waiting so long for this OVA, now we have to wait again a lot of time, but I am happy because there is news of a TV series for this show.

BANZAI !!!

Mar 10, 2017 7:36 AM

May 2012
Beautiful episode. Honestly, I didn't think this OVA would turn out so great, but it sucks that we have to wait more than half a year again for the last episode.

Also, all the more excited for the TV anime. With how great Wit Studio's doing here, I have pretty high expectations for how great the anime's gonna be. Can't wait to see Chise and the rest animated

Mar 10, 2017 8:23 AM

Nov 2015
Beautiful episode. It was a long wait though. RIP Library guy.

Mar 10, 2017 9:11 AM

Jun 2013
So beautiful... I'm very curious to see why Miura had sudden shifts in character and tried to prevent Chise from returning. Who was Miura talking to when Chise fell asleep and he said he would send her back before sunrise? Much excite.

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Mar 10, 2017 9:12 AM

Dec 2013
Chise was right, the time she spent in the library was beautifully magical. Was sort of surprised how they started with the flashback, since I distinctly remember her on Elias' lap telling her story.

That little piece of paradise within her bleak, desolate life finally gave me an inkling as to how she managed to survive that long to meet Elias. Considering all the hardships that she had to go through, it would have been understandable that anyone else in her position would have given up on life already.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion of this little back story. It feels like the library was sort of kept timeless, whilst everything around it was probably moving at a normal pace.
I wouldn't be surprised if the girl that Miura is waiting for is actually a hundred years gone, and Chise will only be able to meet with her granddaughter or something. It always seemed like Miura was stuck at the library somehow, being kept alive by whatever was controlling the place.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 10, 2017 9:24 AM

Aug 2013
Is it still a prequel episode? I didn't read manga yet, 6 volumes are waiting on my bookshelf and I don't want to see any spoilers.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 10, 2017 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
Very aesthetically pleasing, this episode was ;)
The ending left me really sad and my little sister actually cried. I couldn't help feeling sorry for Chise bc she was going through hell, the poor baby ;;
NOW THE WAIT BEGINS AGAIN!
Mar 10, 2017 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
rsc-pl said:
Is it still a prequel episode? I didn't read manga yet, 6 volumes are waiting on my bookshelf and I don't want to see any spoilers.

Yep it is, read the manga without worry :)
Mar 10, 2017 10:42 AM

Mar 2011
This ova was so beautiful, but poor Chise
Miura-san will be ok, right?... RIGHT??? ; ;
Mar 10, 2017 1:11 PM

Jul 2010
Beautiful animation, yet again. That scene in the library was breathtaking.
Since I haven't read the manga, I don't understand the plot very well, but somehow that makes the OVA even more special. Little hints of plot, a flashback to a dark-haired girl whose story I'll never know, it constructs this subtle story that reveals itself gently, without throwing anything in your face. It's incredibly refreshing.

Despite that, I still can't stand the relationship between Chise and Elias. Granted, I don't know much about it, but the 'romance' creeps me out. She's like, fourteen? And he's this huge monster dude? And she blushes at him and sits on his lap? I'd love if it were a father-daughter relationship. It seems to fit so much more -- but alas, anime.
Mar 10, 2017 1:21 PM

Jul 2012
Rather chill follow-up episode, but still very good. Nice to see that Chise had some pleasant memories, i think manga showed only dark moments. Well it was chill, but that ending was OMG! And was kinda obvious from the beginning that the librarian had some dark secret.
Didn't Chise have the book or mentioning it in manga, i'm pretty sure there was something like this.

Ridley-Laforet said:
rsc-pl said:

Yep it is, read the manga without worry :)

Is it "oficially" confirmed canon, or just an assumption, i think myself it is, but then interesting if the OVA was planned from the start and now finally the adaptation was announced.
Mar 10, 2017 2:31 PM

Dec 2009
Another fantastic episode, i cannot wait for the 3rd ova, not to mention the tv series!

I wonder what's in that other book...

I'm not quite sure what the deal was with that house, was there like a kami in there? Or was it just the hairball thingies with the rules? Riichi was talking to someone and saying he'd not let her back because of whatever intimidation factor or regulation he had to abide by... He was freaking out about something.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Mar 10, 2017 2:44 PM

Sep 2016
That stars scene was really beautiful. I also wonder who miura was talking to & why he acted strange at some points >.>, can't wait for next episode <3
Mar 10, 2017 3:09 PM
Oct 2016
Great piece of art. Music is fantastic. Story is really well made and I i think it's kinda sad that there are only 3 eps. I would love to see 2hours movie. Fantastic anime!
Mar 10, 2017 4:15 PM

May 2015
Such a long wait for this one and now another long wait for the final OVA, ugh. Good thing we're getting a TV series soon after that though!

Anyway, this was yet another wonderful OVA. The scene with the stars was stunning. I'm really curious to see the next OVA after that ending.
ReverberateMar 10, 2017 4:18 PM

Mar 10, 2017 5:04 PM

Oct 2012
Amazing, this ep was amazing. I got so emotional and invested during the ep and am now torn to know how long I have to wait for the conclusion to her memories. Can't wait for the anime though, I've only read the first few chapters of the manga myself so I don't know what to expect other than greatness
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Mar 10, 2017 5:12 PM
Jul 2014
Ok, I don't usually like to watch OVAs, but this episode was fantastic, it makes me hyped for the actual anime adaptation coming in October.
Mar 10, 2017 9:26 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Wow this anime is a bit creepy yet beautiful and heartwarming, puts a smile on my face

This anime really reminds me of Spirited Away due to how mysterious everything is, not to mention that the giant rat monster also looks like that Spirited Away monster

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 11, 2017 12:10 AM

Jul 2014
This was a brilliant episode, but I cannot help but wonder just what it was that Miura was so freaked out by. Definitely something to do with Mayumi, but it seems we'll have to wait another six months to find out what exactly that is.
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM
Feb 2016
I loved the new episode! But now we all have to wait until september for episode 3... T.T
But i am happy that we are getting a tv series in october!~
What about you guys?
Mar 11, 2017 3:22 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Poor man. So it's about his wife then and a delivery to her. Still i'm not sure what the ruckus was all about, he clearly was in distress several times and not just cause of the possibility of having the door open for the spirits. I guess, we'll find out.

The star scene was a huge stunner. Music and visuals were amazing.
Mar 12, 2017 12:06 PM
Sep 2015
some things surely was dissapointing, like uneffective screen time usage at beginning, when she come once and once again, remaining completely silent. or dunno why she need to write essay, or even when she decided to do that
Mar 12, 2017 12:30 PM

Jul 2009
It's sad to see Chise's past, the girl had a hard time.
Miura is dead, maybe now we will see how Chise meet Elias.
Mar 12, 2017 1:28 PM

Aug 2016
YOU WANT ME TO FEEL DEPRESSED? BECAUSE THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE ME FEEL DEPRESSED! And now half year waiting for maybe good end?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2017 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
Chise, why didn't you remember to close the door? :(

I really like the layout of the library. I feel like I could explore for hours on end in there.
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Mar 13, 2017 3:03 PM

Feb 2008
Beautiful is an apt way of describing the episode. Beautiful yet melancholic. Chise's hardships were heart-wrenching, particularly considering the conclusion of the episode. the scenery, however, was sublime.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the episode's overall warm atmosphere.
Mar 13, 2017 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
Well I quite enjoyed that too. The ending specifically was handled really well. Looking forward to episode three and then the show.
Mar 14, 2017 5:30 AM

Sep 2014
A very beatififul episode HYPE for the next one.
Mar 14, 2017 8:04 AM
Feb 2016
The whole animation is so beautifullll~~ I guess the best thing about having a long gap between one episode to another is the assurance of the quality. The mystery behind Miura though... I wonder if the 3rd episode is going to be a sad one...
Mar 15, 2017 4:49 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was so adorable and sad at the same moment. I loved so much the atmosphere between this two characters and for that reason i was so disapointed when their friendship ended so abruptly because of that monster.

Looking forward for the last episode!
Mar 16, 2017 10:50 AM

Sep 2015
Pretty good episode. Maybe not worth the long wait. Especially with all the montages and still frames. Still it was for the most part very well animated. And now they've announced a full length series after this OVA. So I feel a lot more invested in this. I have not read the manga, so I did not see a lot of this coming. I assumed the goofy magician in her flashbacks, like was the horned magician in the futures past form or something. Now I'm thinking his consciousness got transferred in the talking dog. Or maybe he really is just dead, that's pretty dark. That scene bothered me. It was tense and well animated. It's just why did she leave the door open. She'd never done it before. As far as she knew this was just a normal day. Anyways looking forward to the last OVA and the upcoming series for now. Seems like we're moving past the abusive childhood part of the story. Which is good because I've found it kind of cliche.
Mar 19, 2017 7:48 AM

Aug 2016
Juliet_Forever said:

Looking forward for the last episode!

Look forward another 6 months. :D But it made me start reading manga, even though this ova prequel is not in manga what I heard.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2017 1:18 AM

Dec 2016
[quote=Martin_Taylor message=50033954]
Juliet_Forever said:

Look forward another 6 months. :D But it made me start reading manga, even though this ova prequel is not in manga what I heard.

Yes, I know that but i think that the last OVA will worth the wait :) And I liked very much the manga so I hope that you like it too!
Mar 20, 2017 5:42 PM

Mar 2015
This OVA is beautiful
Mar 23, 2017 3:46 AM

Oct 2008
The OST was great and the episode in it has a bit of horror. Visuals are also top of the line especially the background visuals...as expected from Wit Studio.
4/5.

Mar 30, 2017 6:31 PM

Dec 2008
At first, I was sure Miura was some kind of schizophrenic with his bizarre behaviors:
1. Voraciously reading a book while his eyes were glowing red.
2. Looking at the other book as if it spoke to him, then clutching it while having a panic attack.
3. Doing #2 again, this time in front of Chise before literally dragging her to the front door.
4. Talking to people or a person that's not there.

After watching the entire OVA, Miura is definitely does not need to be medicated. There is indeed something strange about that library. I just hate that it's going to be six months before we can find out what it is.

Still. Chise, why didn't you close the goddamn door?!
Mar 31, 2017 3:57 PM

May 2010
Chise... if only you closed the door... But can't blame her, she had a lot going on her. Still makes me a bit bitter.
Apr 12, 2017 1:10 PM

Oct 2012
So.. is he shinigami in the present day, kinda? Dead but not yet? I wonder what curse those rats meant, obviously it was something that was haunting him, and he only took refuge in the library. Did they took away from him what he treasured the most - the books? And why Hatori and the books she was holding were left untouched?

Guess we'll learn in the third part... but the wait, the wait till August is way too long. At least they would launch full-fledged series in the fall, and this is probably only meant as prologue.
Apr 29, 2017 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
Voted "it was ok".

The animation was beautiful and the library is a very atmospheric, but the story is sooo predictable. As soon as Chise was told to make sure to close the door, I knew this was all going to end with her leaving it open >.>
May 4, 2017 5:44 AM

Jan 2014
poor library guy, getting killed because someone didn't close the door.
I thought he use some kind of barrier magic so those creepy things can't enter the building.
Jun 11, 2017 5:08 PM

Jul 2010
How she can enter inside bacause she has 2 papers?
Jul 10, 2017 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
Worth every second! Beautiful OST, amazing background art and animation, though the story a little bit bitter. But it's good to know more about Chise's past. Can't wait for the last episode!
"Isn't Victini the cutest Pokemon of all time?"
Aug 5, 2017 6:32 PM

Mar 2016
A beautiful enchanting aura surrounded this anime...but at the same time there was a dark ominous feeling throughout the episode. Again this anime does such a great job telling a story with very little dialogue or exposition. They let the stunning ambiance captivate you and take you on a journey. What a sad and dark ending to another great episode. I can't wait for the last OVA and the 24 episode season to follow!
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
Aug 9, 2017 2:27 AM

Jun 2016
Ugh. That was a beautiful episode, but so heartbreaking. Ugh. Why the good guys always have to go soon? As much as I want to blame Chise, I can't because she's just a DUMB kid. Hahaha jk.

Damnit, Chise, follow the goddamn rules! *Brendon Urie enters* Close the goddamn door! Hahaha. But I still like Chise, and the only thing to blame here was the freaking trying-to-so-hard-to-be-No-Face monster. Snoshaofjasjonfsdgh!

I sincerely loved the Studio Ghibli and Natsume Yuujinchou feels this show's giving me. <3

So, the 3rd episode will be released on September 9, 2017? Ugh. Hurry up, September!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Aug 18, 2017 1:37 PM

Dec 2008
I'm so upset about Chise not closing the damn door but at the same time I can't blame her either because she's just a kid.
Unfortunately "I'm sorry" won't fix destroyed library and a hole in the body.

I bet Mayumi is the old lady that asked if she was hurt, they concentrated on her for some reason.
Sep 9, 2017 10:14 AM

Aug 2013
A tragic ending. Now Chise has to find this Mayumi person.

I have to say, its another well made episode.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

180 by tsuunaami »»
Mar 13, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Leo - Sep 9, 2017

106 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:01 PM

» Am I the only one who finds this creepy?

ChrisHanson - Jan 18, 2017

26 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Is it just me or is this way better than the main series?

dc22 - Jan 10, 2018

9 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 13, 2023 2:50 PM

» What order do I watch this

Bunniedoll - Jun 23, 2021

9 by little_raven »»
Aug 12, 2022 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.