Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 3, 2016 9:59 AM
Apr 2014
SeijiroUshio said:
HonoredVagabond said:
Anybody know the VA for pops?

Probably Yoshitsugu Matsuoka

Yes, it's Matsuoka. :P
I recognized him immediately, but I had to check for confirmation because I had previously thought Dr. Hidaka (voiced by Jun Fukushima) was voiced by Matsuoka. xD
juandmarcoDec 3, 2016 10:03 AM
Dec 3, 2016 2:45 PM

Aug 2009
What the hell am I watching!!?!! This show has been the most fantastic thing I have seen in a very long time! Then the TTGL/Giant Robo/Gundam/NGE fight broke out, and the insert music started rocking. Man that was so awesome. And I'm still dying to figure out what is really go on. Thought provoking as hell. Fan-f'ing-tastic.

Dec 4, 2016 12:16 AM

Aug 2012
-The pure illusion of this episode looks pretty swanky
-Were those wires Papika was gnawing on connected to Hidaka's computer or something because that's what the scene transition made it seem like
-Team Yayaka taking out the beak squad was noticeably gorier than anything previously in the show that I can recall
-The li'l white-haired dude's voice and speaking style reind me of the Hidaka guy
-After seeing Pops's base of operations, there is no way he isn't some alternate version of Hidaka
-That... that giant thing's jump animation was something else.
-Is this episode just a giant tribute to Gundam
-I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't win after all of that buildup
-For some reason Yayaka's control console being a trucker steering wheel was kinda funny
-Maybe it's just a giant tribute to mecha anime/tokusatsu
-The robot's Triple Flapping transformation was also pretty funny
-The planet looks like a brain
-392's spontaneous overheating at the end seemed really out of place
-Cocona removing the bandage over the embedded amorphous reminded me of Papika's ankle bracelet. Where did that come from, anyway
-A cliffhanger that leaves off at the same place as the last episode

I'm not really into mecha anime so this episode didn't impress me too much as a parody. I'm pretty sure a bunch of mecha references went over my head as well, but the obvious ones were pretty obvious. It would also seem that after the 6-episode mark, the show's moved into parody/tribute territory. Episode 7 seemed like a parody of school SOL anime, and this episode was overtly a parody of mecha anime. Now that I think of it, episode 5 was also kind of a parody of horror anime, but episode 6 didn't really seem like a parody of anything.

I didn't really enjoy the animation of this episode too much, although the city had a pretty cool aesthetic to it. Something about the animation just felt not as smooth as it had been in the earlier episodes of the show. I suppose that was just the trade-off for having all of those transformation and action sequences going on. Overall this was a pretty subpar episode for me, personally, since really no plot development went on.
Dec 4, 2016 6:05 AM

Feb 2015
Man, it was so intense when Yayaka was about to say that she wanted to help them.
overall, this episode is the most wtf episode from flip flapper imo. really! those mechs just blew up my mind. regardless of that, i still like this episode. and i like that guy's attitude too btw xD

looking foward to the next episode.
Dec 5, 2016 9:10 AM

Dec 2009
What a weird episode... Suddenly Power Rangers, then Transformers, then Diebuster.

That tsundere.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 6, 2016 8:03 PM

Oct 2014
WarmOwl said:

That would be Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, I believe.
Dec 7, 2016 10:43 AM

Aug 2015
Ok, so what was going to a pool episode transformed into a fight with three pidgeon monsters, and finally escalated into a full blown mecha fight....

I don't have words to say... idk what will even happen next
Dec 7, 2016 9:25 PM

Oct 2008
That was a flashy combining robot mech war fighting episode and even Yayaka helped the two and even said "Flip Flapping"!
Papika said "Mimi" to Cocona? so is the fragments affecting her memories!?
4/5.

Dec 10, 2016 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
The old school anime mixed with cute girls and a beautiful animation. Matsuoka made a great job :)
Very good episode, Cocona is ready to defend what she likes. I wonder why the fragment reacted with Cocona
Dec 12, 2016 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
That mecha was one intense.. box?

I had Gurren Lagann vibes with this episode. I honestly don't know why as the mechs don't have the same appearance and the episode was set in a futuristic city. I haven't seen any Gundam series yet but I guess it's more reminiscent of that.
Dec 12, 2016 8:02 PM

Feb 2013
I love this show.

Bu-chan's mind this time?
Dec 13, 2016 11:09 AM

Jul 2009
Mecha time! So Papika forgot about Cocona?
Dec 15, 2016 9:04 PM

Jan 2008
Those were some good close up camera angles.
Dec 23, 2016 5:30 AM

May 2015
pacoya didn't do the powerrangers swag pose + explosion D:
Dec 24, 2016 12:07 AM

Mar 2016
SeijiroUshio said:
By the way the title of the insert song is "Over the Rainbow"
Who's the singer btw?
No seriously.
Dec 24, 2016 12:08 AM

Mar 2016
WarmOwl said:
Pretty sure it's Matsuoka Yoshitsugu (aka Kirito)
No seriously.
Dec 24, 2016 12:14 AM

Aug 2015
bananyaishope said:
SeijiroUshio said:
By the way the title of the insert song is "Over the Rainbow"
Who's the singer btw?

Minami Takahashi - Cocona
M.A.O - Papika
Dec 27, 2016 2:17 AM

Jan 2013
Impressive art and animation. Mostly fun episode
Jan 4, 2017 6:55 PM

May 2012
Pretty damn impressive and intense episode I must say! I totally loved that retro looking world, really had a gorgeous view!

Really lovely episode in general, especially loved the battle and ending! Let's see what's next!
Jan 7, 2017 7:58 PM

Jan 2016
I freaking loved the city and colors in this ep.

Looks like Yayaka's gonna be in trouble soon.
Jan 18, 2017 4:54 AM

Mar 2015
Awesome that we got swimsuit fanservice in this one.

Yayaka seems torn as to her allegiance and what her heart says.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 11, 2017 11:18 PM
Jul 2016
Too funny! What exactly was Bu-chan doing swimming under water at the beginning?! So pervvy LOL
Mar 15, 2017 3:22 PM

Feb 2015
Fast developments in the first half, but the second half felt right. Really enjoyable, liked that cool little guy. I think I'll direct my hatred towards those boring little twins instead of Yayaka, as I could never truly hate such a tsundere. I hope it just keeps it up, but explains what this is all about in the end! The episode ended with a cliffhanger this time. Need to know about Papika and this "Mimi".
Apr 15, 2017 10:52 AM

Apr 2015
First half was definitely a bit rushy

You can sense the screenwriters and designers having fun
Apr 17, 2017 9:26 PM
Feb 2017
so is pure illusion supposed to be a world of subconsciousness? I get the feeling it's going like this because pops was clearly the doc.
May 22, 2018 12:43 AM

Nov 2017
Interesting episode, change of pace form the previous two. Interesting, adding a Mecha-like scene to defend a pretty well designed city, and having Yayaka fight along side the girls, great episode overall
OikuraMay 22, 2018 12:47 AM
Aug 28, 2018 12:51 AM

Feb 2018
amazing episode ...

i loved how pops was like

"do you want to save them? "
"....dont get the wrong idea"

then he asks her again
"do you want to save them?"

the tsun side of yayaka slowly becoming a bit more dere

when they were going to merge mechas & started fighting lol i was like IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING

amazing camera angles when they were squished in the mechas

haven't even finished this but its easily one of my favorite animes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2018 10:33 PM

Nov 2013
Truly the Gurren Lagann of magical girl anime. The mecha transformations were awesome.

Loved the synthwave aesthetic of the Pure Illusion. Probably my favorite Pure Illusion they've visited yet.

That plot twist during the post-credits scene; I have so many questions.

Aside from the annoying swimsuit fanservice, this episode was awesome. 9.5/10

Jan 30, 2019 1:48 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
That camera seemed to be everywhere this episode. u///u

Oh no, whose Mimi.
Jul 17, 2019 9:10 PM

Oct 2017
It’s nice to see this show pay homage to different anime and cool to see what I would assume to be Dr. Hidaka’s subconscious through Pure Illusion. I’m worried about the safety for Yayaka and thought we would get more information about Mimi but it looks like it’ll have to come from a future episode.
Mar 31, 2020 4:44 PM

May 2013
ENTER: Yellow Ranger!

Yayaka should just join Papika and Cocona already. The twins aren't going to let it slide any longer. She's changed too much and merely hiding it with her tsundere self :(

Love Pops tho <333333 such a lil qtpi -^.^-
I love how in the end, he didn't care that his whole city got busted LMFAO. Like, whutt? X)

End Credit Scene:
Cocona: who the hell is dis bih Mimi???? ARE YOU CHEATING ON ME?!?! XD jkjks
May 5, 2020 12:50 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
It was a mistaken when i realise how wonderful this show, when i suddenly hear unspoken mystery Papi-papu said about Mimi telltale, happened in last scene. Wth is goin on right about now? At least i see some change personality toward Yayaka to flip flap weird stuff. There is no better girl then tsundere, right? Thats only a good point against all shit happen in those half of this session show of FlipFlappers.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 14, 2020 11:29 PM

Feb 2018

And imo just as good. This can also apply to Gurren Lagaan. I think Gainax, Khara and Trigger did some in-between animation of this series but it really is similar to one of their works which is awesome to see (the themes and characters seem like something Trigger would do, although the art style of the eyes is certainly different). I'm really liking the show so far and I'm looking forward to more! 8/10
Aug 22, 2020 3:58 PM

Feb 2020
M... M... MECHA ?! I swear this show is crazy, but it's a good craziness, I'm liking it more and more. I actually laughed so hard this episode, especially when the music came during the mecha scene.
Yayaka actually wanting to help the girls and just being a huge tsundere was very predictable and cliche but I liked it nonetheless, especially since it might lead to something interesting with her acolytes.
I'm quite sad the mad scientist will most likely be a one-shot character, he was great, I would've loved to see more of him and find out what exactly made him want to create this city, especially since he apparently is all alone.
Also, I find it interesting that Yayaka pointed out Papika's ankle bracelet, to which the latter answered she actually has no idea how to take it off. I always noticed this bracelet but I thought it was just a part of Papika's design to show how eccentric it is. Now I'm really intrigued, the show is giving more and more hints at her past. I even noticed she actually doesn't have her bracelet in the opening's last scene, which seems to imply that her friendship with Cocona managed to make it go away... Maybe she actually needed Cocona even more than Cocona needed her.

Edit : I just watched the post-credit scene and... PAPIKA ?! WHY EXACTLY DID YOU CALL COCONA "MIMI" ?! There's really something messed up going on and I'm worried...
FafetteAug 22, 2020 4:04 PM
Aug 31, 2020 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
This episode's OST is an absolute banger

Also that Flashman reference LMAO
Mar 21, 2021 5:04 AM

Feb 2020
The obligatory swimsuit episode. Nice fanservice.

Gurren Lagann, Transformers, Tron, etc. So much wacky stuff again. That city looked so cool.

That music was also nice during the battle scene.

SerafosDec 17, 2023 6:04 AM
Oct 4, 2021 12:39 AM

Feb 2019
Epic Mecha battles!!!

FLIP FLAPPINGGGGGG!!!!!

Cocona is MImi confirmed??
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Dec 9, 2021 7:53 PM
Aug 2021
Bro any these people made this is clearly high.
Holy this doesn't make any sense but this is so good.
Aug 5, 2022 12:12 PM
Aug 2020
Looks like the plot is really going to pick up now, right? ...right?!
Nov 8, 2022 6:20 AM

Oct 2022
Magical Girls in school swimsuits fighting with mecha in an alternative reality.

Sounds like a standard episode of Flip Flappers to me.

Dec 4, 2022 5:45 PM
Jun 2020
MECHAA!!!! I loved the mechas and was just waiting for them to combine! haha! THEY DID IT!
Mar 8, 2023 4:44 PM
Jan 2017
Not going to lie, the fanservice is really taking me out of this show. I'm not new to it but I do not want to see so many shot of the two. (Who are middle fucking schoolers)! that made titillate. Feels less like artistic expression of young adolescence. And more like a poorly [font="\"Google Sans\", arial, sans-serif"]disguised[/font] kink. Its only been getting harder to avoid.
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Jul 2008
Yapico Boy is such a vibe!
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

0 by Pish_Posh »»
Dec 3, 2023 7:37 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM

Poll: » How much sexual content is in this show?

PokeFan2112 - Dec 27, 2022

16 by Armosaurus »»
Apr 22, 2023 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.