Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 25, 2016 7:24 PM
Aug 2014
I love! But I need a second season!
Sep 26, 2016 2:27 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well this started out as one of my favorite anime of the season to being on the frustrating side ever since Mizugaki showed up. It was hard to watch this guy whenever he appeared on screen. But...

Smudy said:

Actually one dude rewatched the entire series and made very reliable points about a subtext. Makes real big sense and went over everyone's head probably (including mine)

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/54en6w/spoilers_the_subtext_you_might_have_missed_in/?sort=new

This was an interesting read. Thanks for linking it. It is indeed persuasive, the evidence the user gave in his/her analysis. Most convincing part was in the beginning, where the user talked about the author of Battery and the character designer for the anime, who is also wrote Hourou Musuko. And honestly the pitching and catching thing, I facepalmed myself, I am familiar with those terms from reading several BL, so the "why baseball" part made sense. And other parts made more sense after reading the analysis, such as why Mizugaki is so annoying and why he looks like Takumi, which I had felt since his introduction.

But...while the evidence makes for a convincing argument, and it does make the story make much more sense, the theme really went over the majority of the viewers' heads. And I don't know, it might be due to the way it's directed? Maybe it's less subtle when reading the words instead? I know that's why the user said it's an allegorical tale, but damn, the story has to actually make sense too by itself, yet it feels choppy. Animal Farm, the classic allegorical story that almost everyone knows about (or er, at least people who grew up in English speaking countries), makes sense as a story even without the reader knowing knowing what the story actually symbolizes. I mean the reader might think it's odd to have animals as characters, but the plot makes sense. Here, Battery the anime feels like we're only getting glimpses of what's going on, there's odd time skipping, or events and scenes just don't really connect. It might be intentional, or it could possibly be time constraints, but either way, I feel like there could still have been more padding in the episodes, instead of what feels like bouts of anger shown by the characters once or twice in each episodes. Once again though, I can't really put my finger on why I think the theme went over my and other people's heads.

I also took the series too literally, from my posts in the earlier episodes, but so did everyone else who commented (not many comments though in the discussion threads). I thought it'd be an interesting tale looking into the psychology of Takumi, but by the end I could tell that that's not what the series was aiming for. I mean it is, if the "figuring out your sexuality" analysis makes sense to you. It's just that it's not in the same I was looking forward to seeing it to be. Could be wrong expectations, but also could really just be that the subtext was just too damn hard to figure out for the most of us. Also, not every medium translates well into another. I do wonder how many people who read Battery came to the same conclusion as the reddit user did.

edit: oops, I meant Mizugaki, not Kadowaki...
tingySep 27, 2016 2:54 PM
Sep 26, 2016 12:23 PM

Aug 2015
For me it wasn't that bad but still it really have some big flaws. For example characters look 'overly grown' for their ages and that destroys the very feeling that audience need for the show 'sympathy'

And we shouldn't forget that this anime's purpose is not giving us 'shounenesque ' feeling.

I didn't have 'wasting my time ' feeling. At least it was for me a good experience.

I get it. It's not the greatest or best but still I really like the atmosphere that anime gave to me and artwork was, in my opinion, was well made.

7/10
Sep 26, 2016 8:25 PM

Apr 2009
Smudy said:
Tien said:
Man, I don't know what happened here. Seeing as Tomomi Mochizuki (director and writer of Battery) has done some fantastic work in the past, I had high expectations for this show at the start of the season. Perhaps his style of directing wasn't the best fit for Battery. Maybe production issues were the cause. Regardless, something went wrong and this adaptation turned out to be quite the disappointment.

The first half of the show was at least intriguing, if imperfect. I interpreted the drama surrounding Takumi as a sort of allegorical depiction of the collectivist and rigid society of Japan. Unfortunately the show seemed to lose its focus midway through the show. In the end, nothing was really resolved and existing relationships never explored further. Also, for the show to end in such an ambiguous manner was baffling.

Honestly, I feel like there's some sort of subtext to the latter half of the show that I'm missing. It's difficult to believe that the director, with his knack for character drama, dropped the ball so hard on the last couple of episodes. Does anyone know if the source material ends like this?

Actually one dude rewatched the entire series and made very reliable points about a subtext. Makes real big sense and went over everyone's head probably (including mine)

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/54en6w/spoilers_the_subtext_you_might_have_missed_in/?sort=new

Gou and Takumi are probably meant to be totally homos for each other given the author, but this is literally reading too much into it and reading a lot of things in a way that fits his analysis.

Not to mention he's basing his analysis on what look for all intent and purpose a bad adaptation. Battery already has a manga (The Takako Shimura one will be like 3 chapters long while the old one is currently resuming) and Takumi seems like a pretty different character on it, much less stuck-up.

Sep 27, 2016 5:08 AM

Jan 2011
I wanted to like it, but it just sorta ended up lacking any real direction.
Sep 27, 2016 6:08 AM

Apr 2009
MrMik1995 said:
Jin_uzuki said:

Gou and Takumi are probably meant to be totally homos for each other given the author, but this is literally reading too much into it and reading a lot of things in a way that fits his analysis.

Not to mention he's basing his analysis on what look for all intent and purpose a bad adaptation. Battery already has a manga (The Takako Shimura one will be like 3 chapters long while the old one is currently resuming) and Takumi seems like a pretty different character on it, much less stuck-up.

Umm OP even explained the "YOU'RE READING TOO MUCH IN TO THIS" part,honestly I thought the same but it convinced me.

Yeah, OK, but he still reading too much into it to fit his view of the story.

Then again, Indoctrination Theory and Rosatrice taught me that if you write a lot of shit, and you make it sound smart, a lot of people will fall for it. You could probably write an essay about how Boku no Pico is modern critic on gender dynamics, and some people will probably fall for it. But it still won't make it about that.

Just like Battery is really just a butchered adaptation of a coming of ages story with homoerotic subtext.

Sep 27, 2016 9:00 PM

Oct 2011
what!!!!
OMG it ended right there...
Please Season 2
Sep 28, 2016 6:09 AM
Jun 2008
I liked the series and the ending. Something different for a change.

If you watch sport animes only for the action then this obviously isn't for you.
Sep 28, 2016 8:05 AM

Dec 2012
Battery was good as an sport anime and a SoL. I liked all the characters interactions and how the baseball felt realistic without sounds or other effects than the ball and the baseball bat.
The ending was disappointing, at least I expected to see the end of the match. I hope to see a second season
Sep 28, 2016 1:20 PM

Mar 2009
Just put Noitamina out of its misery already. Gone are the days of shows like Honey & Clover and Nodame.

Worst baseball anime I've ever seen? I'd even take Ace of Diamond's constant baseball matches and cliffhangers over this. So many plot points forgotten in Battery. No resolutions. Unlikable characters with terrible personalities. Was there anything good about this show?
Sep 28, 2016 8:08 PM

Oct 2008
Lame ending, just overflowing with drama!
3/5.
6/10.

Sep 29, 2016 10:29 AM

Jul 2014
just What The Hell is that ending.....? O.o

To conclude: 1-4 episode was okay, 5-11 episode was a let down
i give it 5/10, even if there was a 2nd season, i don't plan on watching it, this show can't deliver the mix of drama and sport.
Sep 29, 2016 2:12 PM

Jun 2009
Wtf was that ending? The anime literally stopped at the best place. Instead of that weird dream at the beginning and maybe instead of OP and/or ED they could have shown more of the game itself.
Seriously, that was one disappointing anime. Not enough baseball and Seiha. 6/10
Sep 29, 2016 11:16 PM
Feb 2015
only thing i found disappointing about this anime was the ending, but i guess it kind of made sense in it's own way. just like another NGE ending where it sits well with some people but not with most. i thought it was alright though
6/10
Sep 30, 2016 8:03 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Finally won Kadowaki, right?

Disappointment, it´s the word for this anime series. I wait more, but the lousy drawing with a simple plot and the boring personal conflicts of the protagonists, for my it was very typical only....4/10.
Sep 30, 2016 8:29 AM

Dec 2012
That beginning was so strange, but I wonder if it's in reference to how Harada is starting to choose Gou over baseball. Considering it never came up again, it felt kind of pointless to throw that bone to us.

Okay, seriously? After all of that build up? Maybe the result isn't the important part. Maybe it was just about showing us the growth of these characters that led to that moment. As soon as Kadowaki said "That's what I'm talking about", it seemed to imply that Harada reached his expectations. So whether or not the ball was hit, it's probably safe to say neither one is disappointed with the result. That didn't sound like a clean hit at the end though, it even sounds more like a bat hitting the ground than a ball. Who even knows anymore?

What bothers me though is the lack of closure. With the way it ended, it makes it seem like the latter portion of the show focuses more on Kadowaki and Harada's rematch as opposed to the dynamics between the title relationship of Gou and Harada. While there is a moment that sort of finalizes the reason for their battery last episode, stopping here is just way too abrupt. I still love that ED though, so I'm not all mad.

To be fair to Battery, though, I have been enjoying it up to this point. Despite the bad reception here on MAL, I've liked watching the way in which these characters interacted with and grew because of each other. Particularly liked that moment when Kadowaki says he's been watching Shunji all of this time. I think it was his way of saying that he noticed far more than Shunji gave him credit for.

This show is very awkward in the sense that it never felt like there was a main theme or lesson to be learned. It never really spells out the characters' intentions nor does it ever flag their decisions as right or wrong. Battery just takes a glimpse into the lives of a bunch of middle school kids and lets the audience figure out the rest from there. I wouldn't say it's necessarily realistic, but it felt like I was just watching a bunch of kids stumbling through life as opposed to a story with a specific intent or purpose. Takumi was apathetic, Gou was selfish, but there were plenty of layers to offset those traits and not make them stand alone features of their personalities.

7/10
Oct 1, 2016 6:04 AM

Jul 2012
What's with this end?! I have so many questions! This better gets a season 2 or I'll be disappointed as hell. This anime was kinda weird but I also kinda liked it. ... but this end is no end. It's just another cliffhanger
Oct 2, 2016 8:43 AM

Jan 2013
Strange ending, but okay. Takumi and Gou's relationship did improve by the end
Oct 5, 2016 10:17 AM

Sep 2013
I probably read into the show a bit ~too~ much so I quite enjoyed myself tbh. Glad that Shuugo and Shun have an understanding but still don't know what they understand and that Takumi and Gou are "aibos" eheheh

Gonna miss the story and the kids being extra with their accent~~ Really wanted to see the actual game though
naminamichuOct 5, 2016 10:42 AM
Oct 5, 2016 7:33 PM

Jul 2011
The only interesting character here is the little otouto

Oct 6, 2016 7:13 AM
May 2015
so i waited from like eps 7 until this shit (anime) over, hoping that it gets better by the climax. cuz you know sports anime tend to need a couples episode to become a decent anime. i waited and.....

it doesn't

why i watched this beyond explanation

4/10
Oct 7, 2016 5:49 AM

Apr 2014
I feel quite a little traumatized after watching this show..
Although the visuals were fine, especially in the OP and ED. Watercolors never fail.
Katsu-kunOct 7, 2016 6:37 AM
Oct 8, 2016 5:45 PM
May 2011
So that was actually the end of the show? I thought they'd have an episode where Takumi reconciles with the fact that he's actually bad at baseball. The only thing I got from this is how dismal the author's outlook on life must be. This is a load of crap.
Oct 11, 2016 11:55 AM
Sep 2014
That sucked.
Animation and art is good.
Really liked the OP and ED for this anime.
This anime sucked.
3/10 score for the whole series
Oct 15, 2016 9:40 PM
Oct 2013
This anime was so over dramatic. Half the time it seemed the characters had no reason or basis for their outbursts, mostly due to lack of development/ character building. The only redeeming things about this anime is the art style, the animation and Seiha.... Who is so adorable I can't stand it!!!! Seiha should have been the main character... A frail boy who seeks to surpass his brother and his battery
Oct 17, 2016 9:55 AM

Jun 2011
That was disappointing even when I expected nothing. After all the character development, I don't feel like anything has changed, which should be the main point of the series given how it ended, and the only noticeable thing is that the battery duo got closer to each other, as shown at the end when he threw the pitch with his all. The series barely address the main dude's poor attitude and how it came to be, and didn't address the family issue that they have. Don't give me the "rebellious stage" thing, he's not rebellious, he's straight out rude. The tsundere persona, or the "I can't say what I really want" or the crying scene in that episode when they were looking for the little bro felt so fake to give the main dude some kind of good personality.

I have a tons of things I dislike about the series that I could go on forever ranting about it, but it's really not worth it. This series turns out to be worse than I predicted, and I would take a cliche series over this anytime of the day.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 17, 2016 9:35 PM

Nov 2013
This last episode left me asking, as Peggy Lee did, "Is that all there is?"
So they had their game, but really, I guess that's about it for 11 episodes.
Even so, it was a refreshingly relaxing series. Sometimes adrenaline pumping action all the time is exhausting to keep up with. Mostly, I liked the setting of this show. Beautiful town in Japan. Near Okayama, where a good friend of mine is from.
Oct 23, 2016 7:50 AM
Sep 2009
This was extremely disappointing. I don't think I ever felt this disappointed about sport series... drama was over done, no real plot or more like no real progression. For a sport anime, barely any sport. Even this episode spent most of its time on random talk instead of a game.

A proper waste of time...
Oct 24, 2016 8:25 AM

Oct 2008
I was genuinely curios to see why the score was so low for this after watching the first 2 episodes,was expecting a more realistic series without all the flashiness you would come to expect from other sports series nowadays, and maybe a examination of a prodigy type of athlete with all its ups and downsides.What soon followed was a very tedious and completely dry experience,you honestly would be getting more enjoyment out of paint dry.
Remember what the grandpa character was constantly saying about having fun while playing baseball? Well this series was begging to be the definition of anti fun,like it went out of its way to be as tedious and unenjoyable as possible.

And lets get one thing clear: this wasnt bad because it had drama in it,it was bad because it was mainly a bad drama in a sports related setting.

Also for a series that only has 11 episodes this felt shockingly long, if they cut out all the bitching,moping,meandering,useless conversations and Pricess-san altogether this would have been 1 movie length at best.
If anything it makes me want to re-watch Touch ,so thanks a lot Battery...
Oct 29, 2016 7:20 PM

Sep 2015
Totally forgot about this and just legit finished it because I saw it on my currently watching still. It was an okay anime kinda boring tho.
Nov 1, 2016 6:35 AM
Dec 2012
This had a better ending than the actual movie. It's clear that Kadowaki got the hit.

I feel like this anime adapted more of the movie than the novel.
The only thing I'm unsure about was the Shuugo and Shunji exchanges. That may be something in the novel that I'm missing.

I'd say it's probably a good recap for fans of the movie/novel but having the same ending as the movie made in 2007 probably wouldn't make people too happy that wanted to see other things explored.
Nov 6, 2016 2:11 PM

Jul 2012
Amazing, I've never rated a sports anime a bad score especially with the following things: Good art, good music, good seiyuus. But this Anime was actually. Bad.

Why the heck would middle schoolers be so angsty?

Why the drama so lengthy?

Why is everything resolved in the last 4 minutes?

Why is Shunji so emo? (Btw, he was the most interesting character overall and he saved the show from being terrible)

Why is bullying tolerated?

Why is it an open ending?

What did we have to gain?

5/10
Nov 8, 2016 4:55 AM

Oct 2008
Mayuka said:
Amazing, I've never rated a sports anime a bad score especially with the following things: Good art, good music, good seiyuus. But this Anime was actually. Bad.

Why is Shunji so emo? (Btw, he was the most interesting character overall and he saved the show from being terrible)

5/10

... because gay undertones. Which in the eyes of many instantly redeems this waste of space series.
Nov 8, 2016 6:34 AM

Mar 2015
Ha? We spent the last three episodes building up to this game, and when its very reason comes to the fore, it finishes?! What cuckery is this?!

4/10 disappointed to have wasted my time. Its only saving grace would be its OP and EDs.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 8, 2016 9:30 AM

Jul 2012
amateur said:
Mayuka said:

5/10

... because gay undertones. Which in the eyes of many instantly redeems this waste of space series.
I like gays and all but this Anime wasn't good for it. lol
Nov 8, 2016 9:57 AM

Oct 2008
Mayuka said:
I like gays and all but this Anime wasn't good for it. lol

Its a half baked theory how the entire series was all about the main character
"coming out the closest" and the entire cast being all against it.And it set in baseball setting because "hurr durr throwing and catching balls"

Mind you that this is coming from r/anime the same place where they unironically consider Mayoiga a masterpiece and Glasslip a complex tale about coming of age.
Nov 16, 2016 11:50 PM

Jul 2011
Literally why did I even watch this. For the OP/ED songs?

Okay then.
Nov 28, 2016 8:22 PM

Aug 2013
The best thing in those 11 episodes was Takumi taking a beat. (If you take out the OP/ED )

Such a annoying main character, no growth at all. Maybe there's some in the manga, but I don't see myself reading it so soon.
Dec 8, 2016 1:04 PM

Dec 2008
Well, this just left me with a ton of unanswered questions.
Dec 22, 2016 3:21 AM

May 2016
TF !! I don't understand the ending. Meh!! don't make me wait for a Season 2.For a second there I thought that it was a pokemon he was holding lol in the start xD.

Dec 25, 2016 3:48 AM

Dec 2015
A nice final episode who rang like an epilogue, with several comments about Takumi's progress. The better part was the parallel between the heroes couple's resolution and the opponent couple falling apart.

4/5

Fair depiction of social and friendship's hardships in middle-school.
The calm direction and its thoughtful use of Senju's music add to the weight.
11x20min might be a bad format choice.

Score: 6/10

======

Part of the reactions here makes me wonder if the writers missed the previous ten episodes. Maybe the show wasn't clear enough in general but there was one point it was so limpid about that it should have come across to anybody: it wasn't telling a sportive story.
The same people kept wondering about that in so many episodes before...

======

I thought that the anime told the novels series story, but...
@namedrisk Did the live TV show went further than the events depicted in this episode? What happens then?
@sosmetal What makes you think the anime suffered from the movie adaptation's influence? What were the changes compared to the LN series?
I'm asking because I would like to revisit Battery later in another form and hesitate between both (since the books aren't available).

edit @namedrisk : thanks.
Rei_IIIAug 21, 2017 9:43 AM
Dec 25, 2016 8:09 AM

Dec 2008
Rei366 said:

@namedrisk Did the live TV show went further than the events depicted in this episode? What happens then?

I've watched the movie version which was before the tv drama series, but it was pretty good and worth watching compare to the anime version, unhappily I don't remember it much in details as its been years since I watched it.
Feb 15, 2017 6:45 PM

Oct 2009
uhmmm?? lol ? :x

the endingggg... why can't you give us a proper ending D':
can I assume it is a home run since there is the "pang" sound with sky image? lel~
Sep 7, 2017 11:13 AM

Nov 2009
My God that cockblock ending was not what I expected at all man what the hell.
Feb 6, 2018 4:35 AM

Aug 2012
I can't believe I ended up giving this show just a 6/10 and even then feeling like that might be alittle too much. Last night I marathoned the first 7 episodes and was enjoying the drama despite just how melodramatic it was and the frankly absurd idea that these kids are supposed to be 12/13. Still I gobbled it up but eventually had to go to bed.

Next day I'm itching to finish the series and I marathon the last 4 episodes but wow was it underwhelming, makes me wonder just what I was finding so appealing the night before? I think the show definitely starts to fall into circles by the last 4 episodes and the whole addition of the two kids from the other school really didn't work for me. As if we needed some more brooding melodrama from kids acting like old men. It was incredibly unrealistic.

I wasn't bothered by the lack of the actual Baseball action because the show was clearly not about that. Still to not see the fruits of all that melodrama come to light in an actual match seems slightly bizarre.

Definitely not a show I would overly recommend to people despite my initial enjoyment, by the end I felt flat and tired. Like someone needed to slap all these kids about while screaming 'It's Baseball!! FFS! Lighten up and enjoy it!!!' Christ.... Worst of all doesn't answer the questions it poses. Does Takumi learn to enjoy Baseball? Maybe? It's not definitive. As for everybody else I just don't care.

I think Big Windup has alot of similar Drama to this show but is far less melodramatic, way more realistic characters for their age and is just way more fun and comedic. Best of all they do all that while also actually playing Baseball.

Overall Battery is a show that is an interesting take on the baseball anime but it never amounts to anything
BlaizeVFeb 6, 2018 4:43 AM
Feb 13, 2018 5:33 PM

Sep 2013
A baseball series with barely any baseball being played

What a disappointing series and ending
Dec 12, 2019 11:48 AM

Oct 2015
Wow! Just fucken wow! Is that the way to end a series. I mean who won between Harada and Kadowaki? At the end it sounded like Kadowaki hit the ball, so he won? Ayaya.

This episode sucked, even the build up was so lackluster. It didn't feel like a proper ending for the show, so vague and anticlimactic. The atmosphere was such a sleep fest, I swear I was on dreamland for a sec there.

Overall this was the worst base... nah sports anime, drama anime, slice of life I've ever laid my eyes. The characters were all bland and really not the memorable type. The despicable nature of the characters made it worse on top of the lame dialogues we were made to suffer through. When it came to baseball, I swear I could hear a fly pissing from afar. The ending was so shit it made ammonia smell like roses! I regret ever wanting to watch it, ever in my life!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 8, 2020 12:07 PM

Jun 2013
One of the worst sports anime I've seen... Most characters were annoying af....

And the worst ending I've seend in a while as well. Glad to read I'm not the only one who thinks the ending sucked. Holy pear...
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Sep 1, 2020 12:12 PM
May 2020
Tha...that's it?
Nov 25, 2020 6:59 AM
Feb 2019
what a waste for those beautiful visuals and cast, too much unnecessary angst drama and cast of va, the sport is topping only also at end when the sounds came out i got it already like ahggg these 11 episodes really wasted i mean i didn't always expect an happy ending but still thw 2nd season if there'll be any will be not interesting this a clif
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Battery Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2016

39 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 6:11 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2016

53 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 5:36 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2016

81 by baahsu »»
Dec 26, 2022 5:31 PM

Poll: » Battery Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2016

121 by Cainael »»
Nov 1, 2021 3:31 PM

» How does the novel end? [spoilers]

Segaco - Jan 4, 2021

1 by jjashael »»
Feb 28, 2021 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.