Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Handa-kun
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 8, 2016 8:26 PM
Aug 2015
The OP was awesome. I'm still trying to get used to Handa's voice not being Ono's. I've read part of the manga so I didn't get too much into it. Still pretty funny though xD
Jul 8, 2016 8:32 PM

Sep 2014
I gonna missed Ono's voice, haha...

Well, in this episode, I like the 2nd half more than the 1st half. Basically, Handa's presence is what I enjoy the most.
Jul 8, 2016 8:40 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
That was a fun first episode for sure. I wasn't expecting it to be like Barakamon, so I have nothing to lose here. Really funny, and I loved how it broke the 4th wall.

5/5
Jul 8, 2016 8:50 PM

May 2015
Hachiman is back yo

Sensei is baaaack!

Jul 8, 2016 8:54 PM

May 2012
LOL That was extremely random. I didn't like the first half all too much, but it was a bit funny with all the 4th wall breaking.

So due to Handa's anti social-ness, he's creating all these misunderstandings for himself? I can see how the rest of the anime's gonna play out lol

Fun start though

Jul 8, 2016 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
Well I was expecting this anime but didn't expect it to be much better than what I thought. After the letdown with Saiki I'm really wishing this anime to be better and thanks god it didn't disappoint me. :)

Spent the half part of the anime breaking the 4th wall like Gintama. XD
And Nise-kun and Dash didn't make an appearance in Handa force. Are they gonna ditch this character and move on the story without them. Huhuhu... hope they will not do this. :(
Jul 8, 2016 9:02 PM

Jul 2013
What is this shit?? the first half was just sooo cringe-worthy. It's trying to be funny but it's not.

Why can't they just make an actual Barakamon sequel :(

Handa voiced by someone other than Daisuke Ono also totally killed his charm

SakurasouBusters said:
I haven't watched barakemon yet (plan on it soon) but this seems funny, can you watch this without watching barakemon?

Save your time and just watch Barakamon instead, that was the true masterpiece not this watered down prequel
MoeGodJul 8, 2016 9:07 PM
Jul 8, 2016 9:10 PM

Jul 2009
First 10 minutes was weird. But it was worth seeing Handa watch it at the very end. That look of horror. Still those 10 minutes could have been reduced to like 5...or 2 and not leave it on a cliffhanger.
Jul 8, 2016 9:11 PM
Dec 2013
Wasnt bad, but not anywhere as good as Barakamon

I feel like all these misunderstanding jokes will get old fast.
Jul 8, 2016 9:12 PM

Dec 2013
I'm so gonna like this lol
The OP ROCKS!
Jul 8, 2016 9:20 PM

Dec 2014
First half was boring, second half was decent. Wasn't expecting barakamon level of comedy or relaxing but was still disappointed. Will give it the next episode to decide if I want to keep watching.
Jul 8, 2016 9:25 PM
Jun 2012
Its Was An interesting episode to me but may i point out that this man;s character model is similar to Hikigaya Hachiman?
~Tonight's The Night For Sinners And Saints~
Jul 8, 2016 9:26 PM

Jun 2008
I'm a fan of Barakamon so naturally I like Handa-kun with just the first episode already lol. I liked the intro of the Handa force but felt it ran a little too long. It had some good laughs, especially when they showed the anime they created, but still the rest of it ran a little long.

The comedy is great, the animation is great (has that water color background look which I love).

4/5 for now.
Jul 8, 2016 9:35 PM

Apr 2013
This is officially a prequel to Barakamon, but it's so different that I'd rather think of it as a spinoff. Honestly it reminds me more of Sakamoto Desu Ga, and to my great surprise, the second half actually made me chuckle a few times. First half was not fun, but I do appreciate that their confusion over what Handa-kun could possibly be about mirrored my own thoughts.

As it is, I'll definitely just watch this for the humor - Handa silently misinterpreting everything and being oblivious to everyone while being the center of attention is hilarious. It doesn't feel like the Handa of Barakamon really, but what the heck.
Jul 8, 2016 9:51 PM
Aug 2011
Ouch. I didn't think that out of everything, Handa-kun would enter my potential drop list.
Even trying to separate it from Barakamon and treating it as standalone wasn't enough because the comedy didn't do anything for me.
Only part I got a chuckle from was where he splayed his long bishounen legs open to stop the oranges.

I want to see his interactions with the boys in the beginning but I feel like that will be underwhelming as well.
Obviously I could be very wrong about that (and I hope I am!) but it's ranking too low on my priorities to even care about that.
standJul 8, 2016 9:59 PM
Jul 8, 2016 10:09 PM

Jul 2011
Edit: ^My thoughts exactly...

Handa-kun, I apologize for having expectations.
But you didn't have to destroy them so brutally...

Didn't expect to drop this. :/
Comedy didn't work for me at all, overall boring and wasn't remotely amused...
So I suppose I'll just patiently wait for S2 of Barakamon.
Jul 8, 2016 10:13 PM

Sep 2013
Diomedea nailed it this time!
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Jul 8, 2016 10:28 PM

Dec 2012
I still miss Barakamon but damn, that was hilarious. I love the humor in this; even the first half was funny to me, personally.
Jul 8, 2016 10:47 PM
Jul 8, 2016 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
Really the first half was boring and the 4th wall breaking wasn't funny at all. Second half was decent with misunderstandings, but still barakamon level comedy is missing(and OnoD). Will give few ep b4 dropping it.
Jul 8, 2016 10:54 PM

Dec 2014
That was a fun start, Nothing like Barakamon but still good in it's own right. Art Style is kinda simplistic compared to Barakamon but I guess it works well with comedic effect it's going for.

Handa's misunderstandings and paranoia are on a different level xD

Handa's face when he saw the anime XD
Jul 8, 2016 11:12 PM
Oct 2010
lmao this dude has to be a jackass.
Jul 8, 2016 11:18 PM

Jan 2015
They even bother to call the Diomedea studio. How thoughtful of them as Handa Force? LOL
It even confuse me, who's the real "bad" girl here? Juri or Maiko?
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 8, 2016 11:24 PM

Jan 2014
Okay... It's not Barakamon but... It was okay??

Doesn't feel like a prequel at all, actually.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2016 11:27 PM
Aug 2015
The first half was really weird, i don't even laughing..
Thankfully the second half was fun with the misunderstanding of Handa and those girls lol

3/5
Jul 9, 2016 12:06 AM

Sep 2008
i feel like this is gonna be a hit or miss for everyone but it's nice to have something simple to watch. especially after reading the manga, you are just expecting your favorite parts to come up and laugh about it again.

the first 10 minutes were unexpected but i did laugh because i love those characters already. probably is really weird and off putting for others who are just viewing this for the first time though.
Jul 9, 2016 12:57 AM

Jul 2014
I really liked it, except the tacky background art. I think this will be a promising series.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jul 9, 2016 1:00 AM
Mar 2016
I guess, the ones who moaning about Barakamon actually never read it. Because it's nothing like the anime. Barakamon manga is funny and makes fun of Handa. In the anime they cut like 80% of jokes and put moralisation in every corner. So it's not because prequel is too different, but because studious have a different view on things.
And Handa-kun has a lot more popularuty in Japan than Barakamon. And sales better.
I liked this episode. But I still can't say that I like the 4th wall breaking thingy in the first half of it.
FruitpieJul 9, 2016 1:13 AM
Jul 9, 2016 1:09 AM

Dec 2009
Fruitpie said:
And Handa-kun has a lot more popularuty in Japan than Barakamon. And sales better.

Does it? Granted, I didn't look very hard but from what I found, Barakamon sells a bit better : http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2016/.102637
66 342,903 Barakamon 13
75 310,834 Handa-kun 5

Anyway, I was very disappointed by this first episode. First half was awfully forced and not funny and second half was... meh...
Barakamon left a much better impression on me (anime version since I didn't read the manga)
Jul 9, 2016 1:12 AM

Jun 2016
Handa is so easily misunderstood XD...no wonder he is so popular hahaha
This will be a great comedy series...but I miss his deep voice >< and hiro
Jul 9, 2016 1:17 AM
Mar 2016
ginko29 said:

Does it? Granted, I didn't look very hard but from what I found, Barakamon sells a bit better

Well, may be. But in previous years was a different situation. But Handa-kun already ended anyway.
Jul 9, 2016 1:23 AM

Jul 2014
Did we really need to waste the entire first half on that unfunny destruction of the fourth wall? And did we really need to waste so much time with generically ugly and unattractive girl who for some reason is also a bobble-head? Does this show actually have any jokes that aren't going to be based on Handa being completely and utterly socially inept and unable to figure out that everyone likes him? Cos if not, this could well get boring real fast. Being by Diomedea though, I'm not surprised that it's disappointing me so far. Looks like they still can't make a good anime if this first episode is any indication. Definitely the worst premiere I've watched so far.

I'm not convinced so far, but being a spin-off of Barakamon I'm willing to at least give it the benefit of the doubt for now.
Jul 9, 2016 1:23 AM

Jun 2016
OP was unexpected but the show itself looks to be fantastic.Absolutely hilarious first ep.
Jul 9, 2016 1:24 AM
Jan 2016
Is it just me or did the the first part reminded me of Osomatsu-san...
Jul 9, 2016 1:52 AM

Feb 2015
enjoyable episode overall but those dense lever sure is fucking big

that intro made me think that diomedaa wants anime fans to shit on them ? don't worry, i have a material to use. don't forget what you did last season diomedaa.

put that aside, Handa.....
my god he is so dense. i don't even know what kind of dense is thatl lol but regardless of that, this episode is enjoyable and i enjoyed it a lot xD the song in the ending sounds good too moreover the singer is my fav xD (the one who sing Kyousougiga ed song if i'm not wrong)

looking foward for the next episode.
Jul 9, 2016 2:49 AM

Jul 2010
what was that.........
Jul 9, 2016 3:24 AM

Aug 2015
One of the most unique episodes I've ever seen. The comedy is good, but nothing that made me really laugh. Handa thinks everyone hates him while they're just too shy to approach him, lol.
Okay, that ending scene where Handa watched the anime was.... hilarious. :D
Chicken is love, chicken is life ~ ♥
Jul 9, 2016 3:25 AM
Jan 2015
The first half is just unfunny. Ugh. A Barakamon spinoff does not need breaking the fourth wall jokes to survive! That was the most painful 9 minutes for me this season. UGH.

Well, the second half is a bit better but... I do not see the connection between this Handa and the one who is in Barakamon.

PS: I am currently blogging these shows in my blog. Thanks for paying a visit!
Jul 9, 2016 3:34 AM

Mar 2013
My god was this a disappointing mess. I can't believe so many people like this. I was struggling to get through it and found myself checking the time only 5 minutes in because it was that excruciatingly bad. Even the main bulk of the show failed to be funny. Literally the only connection this has with Barakamon is calligraphy too so why didn't they just take this bad comedy and pump it into something original to avoid the comparison to something so much better?
Jul 9, 2016 3:45 AM

May 2015
destroying the fourth war in 1st half.Good job
winter 2016 - It was Kazuma
Spring 2016 - It was Tanaka-kun
and now summer 2016 - It is Handa-kun

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jul 9, 2016 4:10 AM

Oct 2013
I wasn't expecting much being events pre-Barakamon, but ffs this is kinda a disgrace to Barakamon

Why not just let Barakamon end with Barakamon
Jul 9, 2016 4:28 AM
Jan 2016
I think this is going to be the best comedy in this summer
Jul 9, 2016 4:40 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I didn't laugh that much, but it was a good effort for this first episode nevertheless.
Jul 9, 2016 4:41 AM

May 2012
WHAAAAAT. How could Handa-kun be not Ono Daisuke :))

Well yeah, I accept the fact that Handa-kun is a high school boy in this setting so they probably wanted a "younger" voice so they chose Shimazaki Nobunaga :)) But yeah, I expected OnoD to be Handa-kun :(
Jul 9, 2016 4:51 AM

Dec 2014
That was a confusing episode for me.... overall I dont get the concept of this anime series
Jul 9, 2016 5:03 AM

Jul 2013
meh

I didn't like the first half of the episode at all. They tried too hard to do something like Gintama. And while the 2nd show is very funny with breaking the 4th wall, Handa-kun's attempt was just boring and too long.

The second half is just as great as the manga. Everyone who is unhappy with the anime should give the manga a chance, it's much better.
Jul 9, 2016 5:20 AM

May 2015
I'm not sure if the first ten minutes and the ending of anime original content were necessary. They could've just adapted the whole of chapter 1 in this episode, lol. Oh well. Other than that, I liked the comedy during the second half. I still have to get used to the new voices, though.

Jul 9, 2016 5:46 AM
Mar 2016
How much of an airhead Handa kun can be lmao
The first episode was damn hilarious. looking forward to the upcoming episodes
Jul 9, 2016 6:01 AM

Jan 2013
That was terribly bland. I was ready to drop it halfway through.

Hell damn I'm not going to waste my time with Handa misunderstanding his surroundings for 12 episodes.
Jul 9, 2016 6:06 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
So much comparison to Barakamon. Why not evaluate this one ep for its own worth, not by comparing it to the 12-episode Barakamon? It's impossible to be fair to this series when you keep thinking about how it's not Barakamon or how you would've preferred an S2.

I thought it was good but not outstanding, actually didn't realize at first that it was a prequel. The first section immediately made me think of Osomatsu-san's ep 1, but I especially enjoyed how they took jabs at diomédia and TBS. In the beginning it was "that anime studio has good taste", which quickly changed to "what a terrible company!" I enjoyed it, both the first and main sections. In fact, I wouldn't mind if every episode opened with a (much shorter, like 30 seconds) section like this, maybe as a cold open, then go to OP, and on to main portion of the ep. a lot of anime do similar things after the ED, so why not before the OP?

I really like the character design, especially Reo, Handa, and Junichi (Iincho). Sure, I miss Daisuke Ono's voice, but I don't think he would work so well for this particular Handa Sei. Wish we had met Kawafuji in this episode.

samui26 said:
That was the most painful 9 minutes for me this season. UGH.
Apparently you haven't seen the first episode of Thunderbolt Fantasy.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2016

94 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 15, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2016

63 by Wonderlust_Arte »»
Feb 13, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

105 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 22, 2023 10:13 PM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2016

46 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 22, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2016

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.