Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Flying Witch
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 28, 2016 6:21 AM

Dec 2015
One of my favorite series this season. Beautiful opening, beautiful ending, cute stories, nice and understandable japanese language (I'm studying it and this series are easy to understand and listen), beautiful art, backgrounds and characters.

9/10 anime for me.
Jun 28, 2016 7:14 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful series. I watched Aria before finishing up the last 3 episodes of this and it was quite on par with it imo. 9/10
Anime of the season for me. Akane and Inukai were my favorite but loved everyone one of them.
Jun 28, 2016 7:55 AM

Nov 2013
One said:
I know what SoL is... I've watched quite a handful of SoL. But I'd put Flying Witch into the 'lame' category, mainly because they emphasised too much on the small stuff instead of a bigger picture.

But this is exactly what slice of life is. Flying Witch is slice of life in the purest sense of the term, a show that depicts the little delights in life with no conflict, narrative, and/or extraneous elements like romance or drama. It is one of the very few shows that can only be categorized only as SoL and nothing else, which is quite impressive in its own right.

The main strength of Flying Witch is its ability to equate the magical and the mundane. For example, that sense of wonder when the characters witness the ancient flying whale is definitely present — even more so when the characters explore the ancient ruins on its back — but the show doesn't place a particularly strong focus on the phenomenon. They hop on the whale, walk around a bit, meet someone, and then that's it. They leave, and tthe whale soars away, continuing its journey through the endless skies. And the very next scene is of the characters making and eating hotcakes, which seems completely insignificant in comparison, but the amazing thing is that this mundane hotcake scene is given as much, if not more, emphasis than the majestic whale scene. While they're eating, one of the characters enthusiastically talks about the history of hotcakes in Japan, which is far more detailed than and just as interesting as the history of the flying whale.

Basically, the main theme of Flying Witch is that the mundane is just as amazing as the magical. And it delivers this message effortlessly. I see that some people dislike the fact that Flying Witch didn't focus more on the magical side of its world, but I found the show far more fascinating because it didn't.
TienJun 28, 2016 7:59 AM
Jun 28, 2016 8:10 AM

Nov 2015
Nice episode, Akane is being herself and Inukai is back! And Chinatsu looked good in that red hoodie.

Good ending 8/10.

Jun 28, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2015
The expected kind of final episode.

Well made SOL undoubtedly, hardly a flaw within its boundaries. Art relaxing, sounds relaxing, characters relaxing, production relaxing, voice acting relaxing, good spray of comedy. Biggest problem was that the characters weren't completely endearing for me, hindered my enjoyment quite a bit. I think I would have appreciated this better if I had a little more peace of mind in real life. 6-7/10
Jun 28, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
Didn't expect this to be as good as it is.
It's my favourite show of the season. *Crosses fingers for season 2
Jun 28, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2015
Tien said:
One said:
I know what SoL is... I've watched quite a handful of SoL. But I'd put Flying Witch into the 'lame' category, mainly because they emphasised too much on the small stuff instead of a bigger picture.

But this is exactly what slice of life is. Flying Witch is slice of life in the purest sense of the term, a show that depicts the little delights in life with no conflict, narrative, and/or extraneous elements like romance or drama..... etc etc full post
Maybe another fact is that I was sort of comparing this to Tanaka-kun as this season's SoL face-off.

Anyways, I like some light-hearted comedy to go along with an SoL series. Flying Witch fails to do that, because it was too focused on the so called 'little things that make it pleasant'. Another thing is that, although I liked some of the characters, I didn't quite grow to like all of them. They didn't really deliever with all of the characters, for example Chinatsu's big brother. He had little role to play in the whole series, especially considering the fact that he was related to the main cast.

PS. More focus on magic would indeed have been a turn-off for me as well.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 28, 2016 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
Akane really likes to drink, she is like an old man...
The fish part was pretty. 7/10
Jun 28, 2016 3:08 PM

Feb 2011
10/10, no doubts, no regrets. Now this is truly a 'healing' anime if I ever saw one because it healed me alright. Second favorite anime of the season behind Hero Academia, I enjoyed it all the way through and I would LOVE to see more.

Now please Sentai, hurry up with that Blu-ray release :D
Jun 29, 2016 12:49 AM

Dec 2014
I had no idea Chito was a "she".

Nice and relaxing overall. Solid art and animation all throughout. And it helps that it doesn't seem to pander to otaku, which affects my enjoyment.

Debated giving it an 8, but I feel the lasting impact the show had on me isn't as strong as my initial Non Non Biyori watch, so 7/10 it is.
I need sleep.
Jun 29, 2016 6:37 AM

Feb 2007
Lelouch0202 said:
Akane getting drunk was pretty funny as usual, Wonder what she dragged Inukai into this time XD

I was quite worried when Akane showed up there... Inukai seemed to be doing well at the end, though, so can't have been anything too horrible. :D
Jun 29, 2016 11:00 PM

Apr 2014
Damn it, Every show I liked this Spring Season (2016) had already ended, just like the others.
Well, If there will ever be a sequel TV Series, I'm absolutely gonna watch it.
Since I really enjoyed watching this anime, I'll give it an 8 out of 10 score overall.
Lastly, just fucking why my Ayane Sakure was just a cat! She should be the main heroine!! If she wasn't here I won't watch this!!!
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 30, 2016 3:55 AM

Jul 2010
AoTS, nuff said. 10/10
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Jun 30, 2016 1:13 PM

Dec 2011
First time I've seen a cat make a o.o expression

Great series overall.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 30, 2016 2:34 PM

Feb 2015
Great way to end the series i guess. they were still keep up with the fantasy elements and the relaxing atmosphere in this episode even tho this is the final episode. i really like it.

Chinatsu with that robe looks cool imo xD and cute too xD and Chino sure talked a lot in this episode xD

and that Earthfish in the end, man, that part was realyl entertaining and interesting to watch. it really looked like a fish came from the bottom of the earth. made me felt like earth, ground is actually a sea xD

9/10 from me. really enjoyable and i really want another season. it's a really good show to relax yourself in the middle of a night :D hope for another season :D and it's really unexpected that J.C Staff managed to made this relaxing show xD
Jun 30, 2016 6:34 PM

Jun 2013
With the show having Shounen as one of its tags, I expected some action, but the show was boring with no action. The only redeemable qualities are the look and sceneries, and the witchy stuff. If the show would have not been given the misleading false genre as Shounen, but real genre as Shoujo, I probably would have not watched it.

I expected the show to be similar to an anime I like, Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi, which has witches, alchemists, slice of life, adventures, actions, humor, pretty art and sceneries, cute villages, etc.

So I'm really disappointed by Flying Wich and I hope Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi gets a second season.
Nothingness39Jun 30, 2016 6:40 PM
Jul 1, 2016 9:08 AM

Jan 2008
I feel a little guilty because the series was very well-made and Makoto is love, but I just wasn't in the mood for healing this season and didn't appreciate it the way it should be appreciated. 6/10 from me, blame my lack of daily stress.
Jul 1, 2016 10:07 AM

Nov 2014
I think I might've liked it even more than Non Non Biyori. 12 episodes without any action and very subtle humor and yet I haven't felt bored even for one second. I don't understand how this kind of anime works, but I love it.

I hope there will be more seasons in the future. It was my favorite SoL setting and cast so far, so it won't be easy to replace them with some moeblobs ^^'
Jul 1, 2016 1:52 PM

Aug 2012
It was sooo nice!! Really hope there will be a second season I!!! *o*
Jul 1, 2016 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
Those earth fish popped out like daisies.

I didn't love Flying Witch as much as I could because I wasn't attached to the characters but it was a nice and chill show.

Some of the humour was a miss but was great when it nailed the comedy. I really enjoyed the casual integration of magic into everyday life.
Jul 2, 2016 3:47 PM

Feb 2013
I really liked this one. Had a nice relaxing feel to it that I wasn't expecting.

8/10
Jul 2, 2016 4:53 PM

Oct 2012
Great closing episode, if whole show was like this it would be on wholly different level.

Sadly, until its half, this show was really slow and not entertaining. And Kei was literally the worst character. But the second of this anime was a lot better and I grew to like it, wouldn't mind second season of it. Still, can't disregard those bad thing in earlier part.

6/10
Jul 3, 2016 5:56 AM

May 2009
What a fun journey. Interesting world and concept. Good animation.
Slice of life kinda bores me, but still... I don't regret watching it.
Jul 3, 2016 2:53 PM

Feb 2008
It was a relaxing journey and the final episode wrapped the series up nicely. I am, however, slightly sad to disembark from the ride, as it was probably one of the finest slice of life type series I have seen. Another season would be highly welcome.
Jul 3, 2016 4:23 PM

May 2012
Quite a heartwarming ending if you ask me :3 Really lovely slice of life in general and the suiting atmosphere sure got me each episode!

All in all a pretty good anime I must say!
Jul 4, 2016 7:40 AM

Mar 2015
This deserves a second season for sure. Lovable characters, gorgeous designs and music, and as they say, maximum comfy!

9/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 5, 2016 9:56 AM

Sep 2015
For me at least this show was surprisingly delightful. It wasn't perfect but it was a pleasant mellow way to spend a half hour every week. This finale was no different delivering on big moments for all of the main and some of the supporting cast. All with a remarkably solid premise for a finale, Makoto wanders the the town trying to find a fabric store to repair her robe. I really enjoyed Nao's big scene but she was also one of my favorite characters.

The big emotional center of the finale was Makoto deciding to make a robe for Chinatsu as well. It was a smart way to show how the bond has developed between the two characters over the series. And Chinatsu did look pretty cool and Red Riding Hoodesque. It's amazing how far they've come from Chinatsu being a little afraid Makoto, to happily drifting off in her lap wearing a robe she made for her. Like many I wouldn't say no to a second season but this one was pretty great on its own.

I said last week I wish the show had more consistently done supernatural world building. Well we get that here, as at the very end Makoto and Akane encounter a phenomena called ground fish. They show up during festivals, like sake and rice and if you're nice they'll light up like a fireworks show for you. I couldn't help but notice once again are magical creature is just a sea animal in a place sea animals shouldn't be. But once again it was pretty well realized with some sharp cg, and it was quite an aesthetically pleasing way to end the series. Just wish we'd seen more stuff like.

I'd give this one an 8/10. The lack of plot kept it from being perfect to me, but I enjoyed it immensely from start to finish.
Jul 5, 2016 11:17 AM

Jun 2015
This anime was so enjoyable, I'll miss every single one of its characters.
I hope to see them again one day.
Jul 5, 2016 4:56 PM

Oct 2008
ground fish are such strange creatures but they also have beautiful color changing fishes that can swim on ground act like fishes when feeding and can even get drunk! Them floating was so cool!
This is such a heart-warming show!
4/5.
7/10.

Jul 5, 2016 5:03 PM

Aug 2015
Am I the only one that thinks that this anime is so relaxing, I really liked this more than was expecting, just the OST and dialog makes this so good. I don't know why I feel this way. It's...weird.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2016 9:46 PM

Jul 2014
DraTreu4 said:
Am I the only one that thinks that this anime is so relaxing, I really liked this more than was expecting, just the OST and dialog makes this so good. I don't know why I feel this way. It's...weird.

Well, that's why it is called Iyashikei.
Jul 5, 2016 9:47 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Loved this anime. It made me feel so relaxed and happy; paired with Tanaka, I was pretty darn chill.
I felt like this anime knew what it was doing. It didn't rely on a bunch of tired ideas all day every day and instead went at its own pace. It didn't try to go at the pace of your average anime fan, and that's what I like in an anime. But to be clear, it didn't really go at the pace of the creators either; it went at the pace of the characters. Beautiful. It takes a lot to let your characters actually drive the car they're driving in instead of chauffeuring them the whole time. It's okay to give them a map store which they can choose to go into or not, but letting them navigate themselves is great for slice-of-life.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 8, 2016 10:44 AM
Jul 2008
Very well done anime, I didn't have expectation at all. Turned out to be my most favorite anime of the seasion. All characters are likeable.The characters expression are cute. Background musics are great, OP and ED are not bad too.

Apparently many of the main characters are voiced by newbie seiyuus. I'm quite surprised by that, they've done great job!

-------------

One said:
Rayla said:

Its supposed to be slice of life, and its considered a "healing" anime, these type of anime don't actually follow much a story, but really depends on the characters to carry out their actions. This anime just wasn't meant for you, which is why you didn't enjoy it, you really have to be in the right mood to appreciate it.
I know what SoL is... I've watched quite a handful of SoL. But I'd put Flying Witch into the 'lame' category, mainly because they emphasised too much on the small stuff instead of a bigger picture. One example being that they didn't show them going to the festival and having fun. That would have been better. Instead what they wasted time on was make Chinatsu show off every little thing to her mom/dad, which felt really slow and lame. Not to mention that this anime was lacking a little comedy. The only episodes I found to be well done from a comedic point of view were episodes 2 and 7 I think. They had one scene which would make you laugh, rather than either sitting poker face or smiling throughout the whole series.

For me, an SoL which has light humor, lovable characters and maybe some romance attached to it would make for a great watch. I'd give Flying Witch a 6/10 for light humor & 7/10 for likeability of characters, thus an overall of 6.

"Nothing really happens, but in a really good way."
— Sayaka Ohara, voice of Alicia in ARIA

Flying witch is in subcategory of SOL, which many people mentioned as 'iyashikei'.
So I think maybe you're not an iyashikei person.
But if you want to try another with more action and comedy maybe you can try Natsume Yuujinchou.
Jul 8, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2015
LeonLanford said:
Flying witch is in subcategory of SOL, which many people mentioned as 'iyashikei'.
So I think maybe you're not an iyashikei person.
But if you want to try another with more action and comedy maybe you can try Natsume Yuujinchou.
Probably yes. I'm more into SoL's like Working!, Silver Spoon, Tanaka-kun etc..

And surely, I'll give it a try, thanks~
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 8, 2016 11:16 PM

May 2014
Those fish look cute and delicious.
Good Slice of Life anime. 7.8/10
Jul 10, 2016 12:47 PM

Jun 2010
Another boring episode. Too bad this show didn't have a story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2016 5:01 AM

Oct 2012
I enjoyed this series way too much
Thank you for such beautiful series J.C Staff :)
I hope the bluray sales successful, so I can hope for another season when the material is enough
"Signature removed"
Jul 12, 2016 9:02 AM
Jan 2015
Nice Ending, I hope it will be got 2nd season and added a bit romance :) i enjoy with all episode

8/10 for Ep and Anime
Jul 17, 2016 4:20 PM

Jun 2011
Nice series except for the fact that it was so slow, and I mean, really slow. I am usually one who prefer a series to be slow rather than fast, but there's a limit to how slow a series could get. The last quarter somewhat lost its 'magic' for me.

Another criticism I have for the series is that the series is somewhat awkward at times, I don't know how to put it in words, but sometimes one scene doesn't transition into the next scene very well. The animation is also quite lacking and stoic.

Mich666 said:
And Kei was literally the worst character.
What?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 19, 2016 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
Not enuf said Greed.
Jul 23, 2016 7:08 AM

Dec 2010
Nice finale. I expected it to focus more on the festival but this take on it was good too.
Jul 23, 2016 8:18 PM

Apr 2013
This was a very cute series. A great show to watch in between breaks during work.

Jul 23, 2016 10:43 PM

Dec 2009
It's over already? QQ
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 24, 2016 7:37 AM

May 2011
Great and very enjoyable Anime from start to finish. The country setting, relaxing atmosphere and art are right up my alley. The witches and magic gave it that mysteries and unknown feeling that made it even more interesting. Characters were very pleasant as well. Didn't have any problems with any of them. I really hope we get more adaptations of this in the near future. TV series, OVA, specials. I welcome everything.
Jul 24, 2016 7:32 PM

Jun 2013
The show has a nice feel to it and a tranquil setting but I just can't get into it. I don't know what kind of relaxation or healing the writer was aiming for because the only type of relaxation I felt was when I dozed off watching this.

In addition, the characters don't really make the show any more interesting as most of the things they do are pretty meaningless and superfluous for e.g. farming, cooking etc. I also think they should change Kei's gender to a girl considering how bland, boring and irrelevant his character truly is. And it might make him interesting.

The last episode was about making robes and that's pretty much it LOL

But honestly SOL + Female protagonist is a deadly combination that I seriously need to avoid.
Jul 28, 2016 2:13 PM

Sep 2011
It felt a bit like a more adult version of NNB with some bits of magic added to. I liked it a lot!
Aug 26, 2016 8:44 PM

Nov 2008
All the characters were great, but Chinatsu made the show for me. I only started watching it because I saw a screen shot of her. Glad I picked it up.

Looking forward to a sequel and perhaps I will pickup the manga.
Aug 28, 2016 8:24 AM

Oct 2013
Every episode was so chill, beautiful art just like anyother J.C staff creations. wouldn't mind for a 2nd season 7/10
Aug 31, 2016 8:53 AM

Jun 2016
Chinatsu-chan looked like Little Red Riding Hood in that new robe. With fearsome doughnut-conjuring powers too. :D

Probably the chillest show ever made (sorry, Tanaka-kun). It's distilled peace. I adore it to bits, and I've rarely felt this sad at any show ending. An easy 8.5/10.

*starts hunting for the OST so that he can play it endlessly*
Sep 27, 2016 2:40 PM
May 2014
this anime was so relaxing and cute. I gotta have a season 2, thanks to that last episode im going to start reading the manga lol
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

86 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 17, 9:18 PM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

87 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 17, 8:30 PM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2016

87 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 17, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2016

147 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 16, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2016

118 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 16, 11:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.