Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 25, 2016 9:30 AM

Feb 2014
I agree with everyone this shouldve been episode 11 instead of the last.
This case was fairly interestng at least we could see everyone back again.
I didnt Yuukis reason as why he wont let women in the agency total sexist as only men can cast aside their emotions.
Overall it was a nice series the episodes were interesting even though I dont remember any name of the spies as they all look alike.
Might watch a season 2 if there is gonna be one.
Jun 25, 2016 9:45 AM
Apr 2016
there is 8 spy, and i cant even remember who is who in the previous single story episode. only yuuki the one i remember and the army from the first 2 episode.
Jun 25, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2014
The crying on stage was fantastic, i loved how the audience bought into it like that. It was nice thinking they might have a chance to meet in the future.
---------My Profile------------
Jun 25, 2016 10:01 PM

Jan 2013
It was a good anime, i loved the spy stuff.
But the plot was a little empty, i thought that all episode would have a relation between them.
7.5/10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 25, 2016 11:48 PM

May 2015
Nice anime, this last episode was more touching than I expected. The only regret is how good this show could've been with some more plot :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2016 2:51 AM

Dec 2010
Good episode, but I can hardly believe this is ending. It surely feels like it could go on for much more and I hope that it will.

L-Ryoshi said:
OH ho ho.... so the German dude's lover was also a spy eh? No wonder she reallocated to Manchuria. And no wonder he ripped up his resignation letter to go tail her.
How did this happen? He still left the agency and Lt. Yuuki arranged him a place in the army there so that she can follow Yuriko(who wasn't a spy).
Jun 26, 2016 3:06 AM

Dec 2013
Meritas said:
Good episode, but I can hardly believe this is ending. It surely feels like it could go on for much more and I hope that it will.

L-Ryoshi said:
OH ho ho.... so the German dude's lover was also a spy eh? No wonder she reallocated to Manchuria. And no wonder he ripped up his resignation letter to go tail her.
How did this happen? He still left the agency and Lt. Yuuki arranged him a place in the army there so that she can follow Yuriko(who wasn't a spy).

Maybe you should rewatch the end there. I'm pretty sure what I mentioned was explicitly implied by what they all said at the end and what happened as well.
The lover went to Manchuria (she was spying for them), after the entire event was over.
His realization of what transpired caused him to rip up his resignation letter and got him assigned to a post in Manchuria (i.e. spying for D Agency in Manchuria, ergo tailing the girl as well).
Everything points towards the first lover being a spy that they hadn't caught on to.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 26, 2016 5:27 AM

Jul 2013
Finally! i finally recalled their names!!

Jun 26, 2016 8:09 AM

Apr 2015
Good episode, one of the better ones, but not really an ending.

As for the show at large, it was a good, consistently entertaining show, despite showing not much of every character it enabled the viewer to endear to the characters and the setting. Definitely one I would come back for, if they produce one more cour(unlikely). 7/10
Jun 26, 2016 10:27 AM
Jan 2009
vainfyqri said:
i like how everyone kept saying "happy miyoshi was alive"

was.

last episode is a year before the previous. hahahahahahahaha

Well that explains it! I thought one of the guys at the table had died in ep. 11. I never really took note of a time line though.
Jun 27, 2016 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
Guess the start and the finish were pretty much a parallel:

Jun 27, 2016 7:40 AM

Jan 2016
Domi said:
Can only agree with @Ironstorm
It should have been a longer show

True.. There were just so many things to unravel. In ep 11 Miyoshi dies. But in 12 we see a old story when Miyoshi lived. So We need to see more. This was truly a masterpiece. it would have been better as a 24 or 26 episode anime.( I can even dig for more)
Jun 27, 2016 10:33 PM

Sep 2011
Each episode was nice, and I liked how each episode covered a different agent, but I felt the culmination was severely lacking. Unfortunately it just felt like something to watch every week instead of something I looked forward to.
Jun 28, 2016 7:46 AM

Jul 2012
It was good. But 12 episodes? Not enough to cut it.

All the episodes were different cases (except for the first few) and it felt super disjointed. I thought the cases were good alone but as a whole, they didn't connect well. In the end, it still ends on an open ending. I'm hoping a sequel will happen.

Also, another big flaw is the character designs. It's realistic but honestly, it's hard to remember who's who.

I'm still confused if Maki died or not...?
Jun 28, 2016 8:09 AM

Mar 2008
Mayuka said:
Dead.

The show's out of chronological order: http://jokergame.jp/story/
Jun 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Jul 2012
Ckan said:
Mayuka said:
Dead.

The show's out of chronological order: http://jokergame.jp/story/
oh okay thanks for the info!
Jun 29, 2016 6:17 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah I expected so much more from this show. The first two episodes were definitely the strongest imo
Jun 29, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2015
A good episode, one where I wasn't under the impression valuable informations were retained only to fall on me through a monologue. Yuki's speech about women "having the killing easy" was something fitting to the time period, I suppose.

4/5

Fine historical reconstitution(almost no anachronism).
Beautiful images and fitting music (I will miss the one we heard every week right before the opening).
The spies at work each episode are as nameless, and easy to confuse for some spectators, and forgettable as their work requires them to be. (A "problem" for some people who seek enticing and recurring characters to "get in" a show.)
The episodic format allowed for various settings and story types. Sadly, many of them told in 20min only, leading to the use of unseen events told by the character instead of actual scenes in the anime.
Don't come for suspense and thrills, this isn't what the show is after.

Score : 6/10
Enjoyment: 4/5

For those who already watched the (badly reknown) movie and are waiting for the bonus OAVs, someone has recently decided to translate the first novel (Joker Game) of the trilogy on Tumblr.

Also, for those who have read the novels, do you know how much of the first tomes content was adapted?

~~~~~~

@Meritas @thebrentinator24 @MahadoKusanagi @tenaugust @Sirev_Giio @vainfyqri @ibraheem234 Well, how could the anime makers have done it better? They were told to animate short stories anthologies. Should have they thought of an anime original "scenario" tying every independant story of the Joker Game and Double Joker novels ?
If you are interested, the third volume "Paradise Lost" is supposed to be the only traditional novel.
Rei_IIINov 14, 2020 11:23 AM
Jun 29, 2016 5:22 PM

Mar 2014
Uhhh... are they planning on doing a second season or something?
I know each episode was kind of a self-contained story, even though they all revolved around D-Agency... but still... ending it with a self-contained story like this is kind of strange.

Well, maybe the Blu-Ray episodes will wrap things up more nicely.
::End of Transmission::

Jun 29, 2016 6:17 PM

Jun 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
Meritas said:

Maybe you should rewatch the end there. I'm pretty sure what I mentioned was explicitly implied by what they all said at the end and what happened as well.
The lover went to Manchuria (she was spying for them), after the entire event was over.
His realization of what transpired caused him to rip up his resignation letter and got him assigned to a post in Manchuria (i.e. spying for D Agency in Manchuria, ergo tailing the girl as well).
Everything points towards the first lover being a spy that they hadn't caught on to.

If that is so, then Nogami Yuriko would be a reference to Kawashima Yoshiko, a Manchu princess who spied for the Japanese during the war, and that Yuuki is not totally honest about his opinion on women (he was the one who arranged Odagiri to be transferred to the Kwantung Army).
Jun 29, 2016 10:32 PM

Apr 2014
Wait, Is that it? That finale wasn't like the ending at all!
Well, at least this show enjoyable overall. Though it's episodic.
Anyway, I'll rate this show a 7 (or 8?) out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jul 1, 2016 12:48 AM

Oct 2015
expected more from the ending, but anyway i will give it 7/10 for lieutenant colonel yuukis sake.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 1, 2016 12:01 PM

Apr 2015
"Who bows while wearing a business suit" XD Yuuki BAWS

So I guess he couldn't detach himself of his emotions at last. Still a very naicu animu.

7/10
Jul 1, 2016 9:32 PM

Mar 2015
Would like a 2nd season to this one, perhaps to see how Sakuma fares in Manchuria. Spy drama has always appealed to me, so this gets a good 8/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 2, 2016 4:10 AM

Dec 2010
L-Ryoshi said:
How did you get she was working for them? I still miss this part.

As for the resignation letter, when was it ripped? At the very end Lt. Yuuki throws Odagiri's "dismissal" to him. Do you mean that was not a dismissal from the D Agency?

Rei366 said:

~~~~~~

Well, how could the anime makers have done it better? They were told to animate short stories anthologies. Should have they think of an anime original "scenario" tying every independant stories of the Joker Game and Double Joker novels ?
If you are interested, the third volume "Paradise Lost" is supposed to be the only traditional novel.
I myself never said a thing against the episodic nature of the anime, in fact I very much liked it. My only problem is that there are 12 stories only, which seems too short to me in terms of storytelling of this kind. Also, thanks for the Tumblr link. I also hope there's more material to be adapted.
Jul 2, 2016 3:56 PM

Feb 2013
I did like this show. I will watch more if there is anymore, but I just felt something off about it.....I don't know, just didn't sit quite right for me. Especially after how much I enjoyed the first two episodes.

6/10
Jul 2, 2016 4:35 PM

Apr 2014
chekrdnickrs said:
Would like a 2nd season to this one, perhaps to see how Sakuma fares in Manchuria. Spy drama has always appealed to me, so this gets a good 8/10!

I agree, if no season two, at least there's some specials scheduled to air.
---------My Profile------------
Jul 5, 2016 9:50 AM

Aug 2013
I really loved this series. It being episodic or not being super thrilling and exciting all the time is not something I'd count against it, it's just how the story was written and if someone's expectations were different that's on them. But I really enjoy calm shows (stuff like Mushishi and Kino's Journey is 10/10 to me) so I thought it was great. I hope we see more of this, it was really interesting.

My only complaint, and maybe this is more on me and being bad with names, but it seemed like the characters didn't get much introduction and aside from Sakuma I really couldn't tell Yuuki's men apart very well and I couldn't tell you all their names or who each episode focused on.

8/10 series.
Jul 10, 2016 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
Good final episode. Prefer this rather than a b******* new just thought of ending.

Don't really like episodic presentation because it feels way to unconnected. Too short.
Jul 10, 2016 7:27 PM

May 2014
It was a good episode. Its sad to see many people judging this anime not by what it is but by what they thought that it should be. This series was almost like a book of tales, each chapter is unique and refreshing although they all share a large amount of similarities.

It was worth watching.
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Jul 12, 2016 12:54 PM
Jul 2016
is it possible

Maki is Miyoshi Brother or something?

1. i don't think Maki can fake death sice the story is so real/ too much op?
2. i can't accept Miyoshi Death ... omfg i'm telling my self nooo

If Miyoshi is dead for real i wish this is the last ep. the last sentence made me wanna go back to the1st ep. and watch the whole anime over again = feel like this is the end/if wanna watch more go watch all over again cuz we not making 2nd season + we not bring MIYOSHI back tooo TT^TT fy writer
Jul 21, 2016 5:09 AM

Jun 2011
This.. this is amazing! I would not have thought that if I just looked at the score, but this goes to show that you really can't rely on the score to determine whether you'll like a series or not. I wish it was longer, it could have been, it has so much more to tell, so hopefully it gets a sequel or something.

I've enjoyed this anime the most out of all the other anime I've watched this month.

P.S. Would be great if they make each character more distinctively recognizable, but that would also go against their spy identity.. hmm..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 24, 2016 5:28 AM
Mar 2012
Rare to have a well directed spy drama, that is episodic, non chronological, and event driven instead of character driven. It's a weird combination of story traits that won't cater to a wide audience.
It established itself as episodic early on, so I was fine with the format, thought it's pointless to complain so much on making a single plot when the source is already short stories.
Individually, some episodes were the most intense well plotted 20 minutes I've seen in years, few others had weird logic or too confusing. Every ep often presents many characters, events etc besides the similar looking spies, and needed full alertness to really connect all the dots. Especially enjoyed Jitsui episodes, Tazaki train detective, all of Yuuki's lifetime coverups. It's sorta a slice of life of spy work.
A similar density of nonchronological historical references & mystery, with longer arced main plot would be Concrete Revolutio, but I'd say that raised the attention span & thinking requirement even more. So if JG had long arcs i'm not sure it'll go so well.
Overall art was very good & va's were great in drawing viewers into the narrative.
Jul 24, 2016 6:27 PM
Mar 2009
Great series, liked this episode, and this would be one I would add to my library to re-watch because of the little details and such.

Well written and presented, very enjoyable!
Jul 25, 2016 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
8/10 this show is really good. Hope there will be second season.
Jul 29, 2016 11:16 AM

Oct 2008
This makes Senkou no Night Raid look good,and that one wasn't even all that great to begin with.But at least there the cast was much smaller and had more screen-time, the supernatural elements were ok and it still had a overarching plot.

Still a decent watch I guess,but nothing worth remembering.
Jul 30, 2016 12:19 PM

Jul 2014
So after 12 episodes, I still don't really know who is who except Yuuki and Miyoshi (though only because he died in the previous episode)... I can pick out some of them (like the shortie spy) because of how they look but all in all I can't tell them apart and I don't even know most of their names. Bah! But even so, I found this anime to still be entertaining in a unique and this-isn't-my-kinda-anime-but-I-still-enjoyed-it kind way. :P
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jul 30, 2016 9:39 PM

Jun 2009
show some potential but kinda let me down a bit. (6/10)
Jul 31, 2016 2:24 PM
Sep 2009
So this episodes are out of chronological order?

I really liked the series but it would have benefited from a slightly more linear story that would help to memorize all of the spies.
Aug 3, 2016 5:36 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice flow, it end where it started! All in all this was an interesting anime, not a too thrilling but still quite nice! So all in all it was a nice anime.
Aug 4, 2016 6:23 AM
Dec 2009
I agree with everyone this didn't feel like a finale at all although I enjoyed the story and the mystery was revealed. It would have been nice to go back to Yuuki's backstory of see what happened to all the spies "in the end" or something as a little finale.
Aug 6, 2016 7:18 PM

Aug 2011
Watched this series in one day!! I tried to drag it out, but I just couldn't stop. What can I say, I love depth in an anime. From Yuuki, the head of the D-Agency, to the liaison, Sakuma, to the spies themselves, each character was outstanding.

Just found out there is a live-action movie out... already there!!!!
Aug 8, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2009
Eh, it was kind of okay I guess. Nothing memorable really. 6/10

(Surely I can't be the only one who wasn't able to tell even one of these characters apart)
Aug 11, 2016 3:34 AM

Apr 2009
I'm surprised people didn't like the episodic structure as well as the fact that all the characters looked the same. Don't you think it was all done on purpose?

I've just finished reading the available 4 books of Joker Game novels and I can tell you that, for example, the episode "Coffin, in which Miyoshi dies doesn't even tell the name of the spy that dies (it only says his fake name KAtsuhiko Maki) so you never know who actually died.
Isn't it to highlight the fact that just like episode 11 said - that spies live a fake life in a foreign country all alone and if they die no one will ever know who they are.

The purpose of this show is to show the world of the spies not personal character development. And it doe nothing to sugar up those times.

The anime website also has a chief rsearcher's column with historical comments for each episode. So a lot of things are based off people that acted like spies, and the researcher also narrates various examples of how different spies chose different paths to take in life later on.
If you're looking for middle-school amusement here, then of course the show's not for sure.

And also dates for each episode were different, so you have to look up the timeline on the website to figure it out (unless you kept track of it). Because supposedly the last episide (date-wise) is the episode that happened in Shanghai.

I personally love historical shows, especially those iabout WWI and WWII becauase they make me research and read more stuff about those times as well as learn more.

Adult anime is the best.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Aug 31, 2016 5:34 AM

Feb 2013
She killed him because she was jealous, lame.
Oct 9, 2016 10:47 AM

Dec 2009
yeah as many here said it didnt feel like final episode.

i enjoyed this show overall (a lot, actually) and tbh i didnt mind this episodic structure. i just feel like there is so much more potential behind it, and i wish they made use of it.
9/10 for me
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
Feb 18, 2017 11:06 PM

Mar 2012
i have mixed feelings about this. it was great, i enjoyed almost every single episode on its own, but as a series it ended up feeling a bit lukewarm.
i don't think this was a bad ending, if you think about it, although the focus was on odagiri, we finally got to see all of them working together on a case. it was a nice way of rounding up things if you pay attention to the parallels made with the first two episodes.
but i feel that maybe this will be a bit forgetful for not telling a big story, which i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but idk, i really don't know how to feel about it.

the only thing that made me cringe was the reason yuuki doesn't hire females. but meh, it's japan, so i guess the opposite would actually be the surprise.
Mar 31, 2017 9:27 AM

Mar 2015
thebrentinator24 said:
I think this anime could have been much better if it wasn't episodic. And if it had to be episodic, it would have been really cool if all the seemingly unconnected episodes somehow meshed together to form a big connected storyline.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Loved the spying themes and vibes. Beautiful backgrounds too and quite the thrilling ride. I applaude this show for its originality but at the same time I couldn't help but to get sometimes confused by the in media res type of narration. The fact that the 8 MCs look VERY similar didn't help either.

Still, that show was a nice breath of fresh air that kept me intrigued until the end. 7/10 for me.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
May 25, 2017 12:17 AM

Dec 2012
Wait! Miyoshi is alive?
So nice to see everyone working together.
I knew it was the friend.
He knew her.
Dat jealousy.
Yuuki speaking the truth about women. lol
Cool Yuuki looking out for Tobisaki.
lol at Yuuki. The irony.

Joker Game was good stuff. Unfortunate that Miyoshi is really dead. Wish Sakuma had joined up with them.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 10, 2017 5:49 AM
Nov 2017
VanishingKira said:
This was a pretty good show,at being a sleeping aid that is 5/10.

Pretty disappointed in this series,expected thrilling and exciting got boring and sleep inducing instead.
Really? I thought only this episode was a bit bland and boring!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2016

178 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.