Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 3, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Akari is cute. The most interesting part I thought about the episode is that story about the elephant and how it relates to family.

The picnic looked like fun. This episode felt kinda natural, not really feeling much for the characters still but it's cute. Glad to see friends helping Akira~
Feb 3, 2016 10:20 AM
Oct 2009
The deduction part of this episode was really shallow and half-assed, ruining what could have potentially been a moving conclusion to Akari's grandfather's circumstances, and turning this into a weekly dose of lame, bland storytelling by Haruta.

Akari is delectably adorable by the way.
Feb 3, 2016 10:30 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Another problem solved by Haruta. Meh episode overall as nothing felt as if it had any tension. I guess Akari doesn't hate her grandfather anymore.

2/5
Feb 3, 2016 10:39 AM

Jan 2015
Aww, a girl that seems like have feeling towards Haruta.
I just realized it, but unlike the other episode Maren is perfectly blend in the gang. So Akari was "hit the bullseye" when she mention about the "Double Date".
MasceraFeb 3, 2016 11:02 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 3, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2012
Trombone girl was quite the cutie. Wasn't expecting a Vietnam story of all things from that...sad. :(
Feb 3, 2016 11:01 AM

Apr 2010
Didn't expect Orange Agent to be mentioned in anime, i have seen pictures of people affected by it they survived but the results weren't nice.
The Vietnam war was very brutal but what also effected soldiers a great deal was the reaction they got on return, many Americans where against the war and many people who protested against it had a feeling the government wasn't listening to them.
At some point they started protests against the soldiers most of whom where conscripts that where send against there will.
So many soldiers that returned had a very bad welcome at the airport which caused many psychological problems and to make things worse veterans of the Vietnam war received bad treatment for years.

The episode was pretty symbolic.
Feb 3, 2016 11:11 AM

Aug 2013
And again almighty Haruta knows everything.
And the most frustrating are scenes where he acts like everything what he knows is normal and Chika is just too stupid to understand /know something (name of painter, novelist, whatever).
I hate him more and more. Even his VA is doing everything to raise hate towards him :D like that homo vampire from Owari no Seraph (Mika?).
rsc-plFeb 3, 2016 11:17 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 3, 2016 11:21 AM

Feb 2015
tbh, it actually a good and interesting episode imo.
that elephant story was good too :)
another character in the next episode :D

Edit: LOL. everybody dislike haruta XD. well, same for me too though...he always the one who solved the mystery....
Feb 3, 2016 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
Akari is so cute.

The elephant story was okay!
Feb 3, 2016 12:01 PM

Mar 2015
Adorable episode, i think i'm the only person that like Haruta?, he isn't that bad.

And a New Character!, cute so far.
Feb 3, 2016 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
The story was good but Sensei and Haruta knew too much it was annoying.
Feb 3, 2016 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
"War is ruthless, cruel and stupid."
Feb 3, 2016 12:52 PM

Jul 2015
This was interesting I guess. Not Haruta figuring it out as always, but the old guy's story was fucked up.
Feb 3, 2016 1:12 PM

May 2015
Ah, the Vietnam War. Brings back memories of history classes.... That was a pretty painful and sad story, and I think that elephant story blend in pretty decently with Orange Agent. Not bad. Poor grandfather ):

Akari was pretty adorable though.

Feb 3, 2016 1:24 PM

Mar 2013
Saw Vietnam coming as soon as paintings with elephant has been shown.
Well, it's the best episode storywise, but animation is becoming worse and worse. Still enjoyed it, I guess.
Feb 3, 2016 1:40 PM

Sep 2014
I didn't expect that twist where it turns out he went to the war, other than that this episode was okay overall.
Feb 3, 2016 2:01 PM
Oct 2012
Blah, dislike shows that try to get cheap sympathy points by bringing in a past war without there being a good reason. Really dislike it when the show uses another country's wars or problems to troll for those points.

Want to spend some time so context can be explained? Fine. Do an arc on it, but cheap nods to passing fashions (war is bad, racism is bad) are bad and more to the point boring writing.

Also ignoring one's own country's problems to focus on another's is a coward's way of doing things.

Again, excepting a show where there is a strong reason to do so.
Feb 3, 2016 2:01 PM

Dec 2012
Narushima look very nice in that hairstyle
Feb 3, 2016 2:53 PM

Dec 2012
Chika makes a good lesbian by the way she approaches,like,almost every girl so far. I think her crush on the sensei is just an ass-pull so Haruta can have a rival or whatever. Meh. The show is still boring with or without their love interests.

rsc-pl said:
I hate him more and more. Even his VA is doing everything to raise hate towards him :D like that homo vampire from Owari no Seraph (Mika?).

They do sound alike,even if it's not the same VA.
What does he even do to raise hate anyway? That's just his normal voice
Feb 3, 2016 3:02 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Well, this episode got a point from me because I learned something (which I immediately did some quick research to confirm and get details) - I hadn't known that Non-citizens were subject to the draft.
Feb 3, 2016 3:06 PM

Apr 2015
Decent episode, not as interesting as the last episode but still enjoyable.

One thing that really puzzles me is why people don't like Haruta. I mean, I guess it is pretty weird that he could always solve the mysterious almost immediately, but there are a lot of other genius characters similar to him and I don't see them getting nearly as much hate.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Feb 3, 2016 3:39 PM

Apr 2015
Okay episode; didn't really do much interest with the characters. The Vietnam War being brought up was pretty conflicting.
Feb 3, 2016 5:19 PM

Apr 2011
Maren x Nageshima
Haruta x Chika.

I ship them. The new gurl nailed it.

Its nice to know Chika knows how to cook. That 1966 vietnam war is deep.
MagitoFeb 3, 2016 9:15 PM
Feb 3, 2016 5:56 PM

Jan 2011
man starting to hate Haru even more ,guy doesn't know when to let off was only because of the grandmother he didn't say anything

still i only caught on to the meaning of all this only because of young black jack had this still fresh in my mind last season
Feb 3, 2016 6:10 PM
Apr 2015
didn't expect war to be involved there.

anyway, new character's cute.
Feb 3, 2016 7:04 PM
Oct 2012
Aversa said:
At some point they started protests against the soldiers most of whom where conscripts that where send against there will.

67% were volunteers, so no most were not conscripts. In comparison, during WWII, the "good" war, 67% were conscripts. There is a lot of bad information out there about Vietnam (another examples is the myth that a greater % of blacks were killed - not true, it was about the same as the % of the general population). Another myth is that some greater % of Vietnam veterans had psychological problems, the % were inline with WWII.

Cratex said:
Well, this episode got a point from me because I learned something (which I immediately did some quick research to confirm and get details) - I hadn't known that Non-citizens were subject to the draft.

The draft affected a sub-category of non-citizens called "Permanent Residents". Also known as "Green Card Holders" they have the right to live in the US indefinitely and apply for US Citizenship after five years, so they fall into a "twinner" category. They still have to sign up for selective service.

Kyruga said:

That sort of sums up my distaste for the emotional trolling this episode used. War is not always stupid. I know this is directed at children, but if they want to pretend to be "deep" then they shouldn't resort to platitudes. Was it stupid for the UK to declare war on Nazi Germany when they invaded Poland? Or for the US to fight Imperial Japan? History is complex and if we want to prevent war then we need to acknowledge this instead of relying on cliched pronouncements.
Takuan_SohoFeb 3, 2016 7:08 PM
Feb 3, 2016 7:04 PM

Jan 2011
I felt like the jungle and PTSD was a dead give away that it was Nam. I thought the bit with Agent Orange and the likes was clever though.
Feb 3, 2016 7:07 PM

Jul 2009
Knew the reveal would be anticlimactic. Like wtf why the teacher getting so serious and making it seem like some dire crime was committed therefore his precious students shouldn't look into it? Pls.

Keeping it a secret from the granddaughter too was stupid. Like she should go on believing such a lie and thinking her granddad is scum who betrayed his family?
Feb 3, 2016 7:20 PM

Jan 2016
I loved the references to Chicago. Such a great...and at times awful city.
Like the story, its nice and sweet
I don't really feel any connection to the characters
3.5/5
“Don't think about what you need to do. Just follow your desires.” - Aoi Ryuuhei (Baby Steps)
Feb 3, 2016 8:00 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This series deals with a lot of deep personal issues and I must say that they handle them very well

Vietnam was a fucked up war in just about every way so I can understand why the grandfather is in the state he is >.<

It was pretty interesting to see how chill everyone was about being looked at as romantic couples....Nageshima looked cute af in this episode too
TokoyaFeb 3, 2016 8:04 PM
Feb 3, 2016 8:49 PM

Jun 2013
Really great episode.... the low score for this really baffles me.
Feb 3, 2016 9:11 PM

Apr 2011
SakurasouBusters said:
Really great episode.... the low score for this really baffles me.

Don't mind it. The score system in MAL is crap.
Feb 3, 2016 10:45 PM

Jan 2016
Throughly enjoyed this particular episode. The way they illustrated the plot was great and the idea with the agent colors and war was unexpected but clever. Everyone hates Haruta but I find him pretty cute.
There is only one passion; the passion for happiness.

- Denis Diderot
Feb 3, 2016 11:00 PM

Jul 2011
Cheap... the series tries to be deep, but I don't think the PTSD symptoms were very accurate (either the animator's or writer's lack of knowledge), and it was really random.

The global-esque extent of the plot surprises me. Most Japanese avoid discussion of politics, wars, etc. so Haruta and sensei's knowledge is surprising without research. Saying that, the breadth of knowledge is ridiculous. Haruta's on-the-spot recall of information is unreal. How many people know pointillism and Seurat off the top of their head (plus many other subjects)? I don't even know how they drew the conclusion of the Vietnamese War, wtf?

At this point I might prefer a more daily-like/human drama approach rather than these mysteries, because I enjoy the tidbits of character interaction more.
Feb 3, 2016 11:48 PM

Oct 2008
Uh, okay episode I guess. I would rather see more of them playing instruments and having picnics than solving mysteries...

I don't have any dislike for Haruta even though he's always solving things out of nowhere. I like all of the main cast. However I don't like the new girl because she hit her elderly, dying grandfather. It may be just a pillow but it's just not right.

Didn't get any feels for this episode and it was lame that Kusakabe stopped them so seriously. They are high school students, come on... Rather, isn't it good for them to learn about such things?

I actually didn't know much about the Vietnam War so it was kind of interesting. I looked up stuff about it after.
Feb 4, 2016 12:04 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Mirorin said:

The global-esque extent of the plot surprises me. Most Japanese avoid discussion of politics, wars, etc. so Haruta and sensei's knowledge is surprising without research. Saying that, the breadth of knowledge is ridiculous. Haruta's on-the-spot recall of information is unreal. How many people know pointillism and Seurat off the top of their head (plus many other subjects)? I don't even know how they drew the conclusion of the Vietnamese War, wtf?

I agree with Haruta's vast knowledge, but he did mention research, so I'm 100% sure that him concluding the grandfather went to Vietnam War was just due to quick internet search. The hints were these:
-1966-1976
-San Francisco, Chicago
-Student riots (suggested by Maren, although he meant the Civil Rights Movement)
-elephant sleeping in the wild (the wild part mentioned by Chika)
-colors of the sky

It does still seem sort of a stretch to connect these dots, but I don't think it's far-fetched that Haruta was able to arrive at the correct conclusion. The most important hint was that the elephant in the paintings was not in a zoo. There are no wild elephants in the US, therefore the grandfather must've been somewhere else. Another quick search about riots in the US in that time frame would suggest Civil Rights Movement or opposition against Vietnam War (note SF). Grandfather came back in 1976, a year after the end of the Vietnam War. This must've came up in Haruta's research but he didn't think about it until Chika mentioned the background in the paintings looking like the jungle. The colors of the sky probably just solidified the conclusion that indeed the grandfather was drafted into the war. I'm more surprised that no one is complaining how Kusakabe was able to arrive at the conclusion so quickly without research and other hints, like the riots. Haruta said he researched into the puzzle, so I have no doubts he didn't actually know much about the exact dates or things involved in the Vietnam War, but again, he had a hint from Maren and Chika, and also realized that somehow just by looking at the paintings, Kusakabe was able to understand what happened to the grandfather. Yes Haruta still has an almost unbelievable amount of knowledge, but none of that really helped him in this case (the painting knowledge), he only used the hints and his research to answer the puzzle.

komasan said:
Uh, okay episode I guess. I would rather see more of them playing instruments and having picnics than solving mysteries...

I don't have any dislike for Haruta even though he's always solving things out of nowhere. I like all of the main cast. However I don't like the new girl because she hit her elderly, dying grandfather. It may be just a pillow but it's just not right.

Yeah same, I'd like to see more band stuff, or at least half-half instead of most of the focus on the mysteries. I still like the overall slice of life tone the anime has though, and the mysteries don't feel so dramatic.

And I completely agree with the pillow hitting part. I was pretty shocked to see that, he's not in the best shape to get hit, if she didn't notice...
Feb 4, 2016 12:25 AM

Jul 2011
^ Yeah, but I meant the problem is that they don't show him doing the research or forming his conclusion, it's just given to the viewer at the end with "hints" thrown across the episode. The viewer doesn't share the characters' discovery or knowledge. The Vietnamese War could be concludable I suppose, but Orange Agent vs. colors of sky have so little connection it's almost like guesswork.

Also, lol.
MirorinFeb 4, 2016 11:27 AM
Feb 4, 2016 12:25 AM

Sep 2014
I was kinda shocked it went the dark path this ep and touched Vietnam war, PTSD, and the racial riots of LA and SF. It was kind of nice. HOWEVER, the pacing was way off. It covered too much and seemed to run out of time in the end and just left it like that. We didn't get to see what happens next after investing so much time into the story.

It was a bad way to introduce a future member of the group. They need to address it in another ep or it would be a waste. Also, her mention of the four being couples makes me think something going to happen. I mean, she did say in EP 1 that she got him back. Me tinks he may turn from the cannoli to the pie..If you know what I mean.
Feb 4, 2016 2:17 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Mirorin said:
^ Yeah, but I meant the problem is that they don't show him doing the research or forming his conclusion, it's just given to the viewer at the end with "hints" thrown across the episode. The viewer doesn't share the characters' discovery or knowledge. The Vietnamese War could be concludable I suppose, but Orange Agent vs. colors of sky seems like guesswork, almost.

Also, lol.

Omg that picture, why you ruin the painting for me!?!?

Ah I see, sorry I misunderstood. Well I think showing Haruta doing research on the computer would be boring but I understand your complaint about the viewer not sharing the character's knowledge. I typically don't like that either in anything that is tagged with "mystery," but at least there are some hints thrown around that I can still see how those hints helped Haruta (and not the viewer).
Feb 4, 2016 5:17 AM

Jan 2014
I wonder if Akari's Grandpa saw The Beatles at Candlestick Park?
FluxasionFeb 4, 2016 5:21 AM
Feb 4, 2016 5:20 AM

Jul 2013
Everything was nice and cute but this anime needs more music...
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Feb 4, 2016 7:41 AM
Apr 2015
The characters are currently cardboard boxes with some backstory. The mysteries still just feel really forced. They tell nice stories but how they come about finding them is really jarring, and how they conclude isn't particularly satisfying. The only reason Haruta and Chika aren't the only characters helping solve the mysteries is because they want to build a sense of them gaining members for the whole music thing.

Oh yeah, and this isn't really a music anime at this point. They're just part of a club.
Feb 4, 2016 8:21 AM
Jan 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Aversa said:

67% were volunteers, so no most were not conscripts. In comparison, during WWII, the "good" war, 67% were conscripts. There is a lot of bad information out there about Vietnam (another examples is the myth that a greater % of blacks were killed - not true, it was about the same as the % of the general population). Another myth is that some greater % of Vietnam veterans had psychological problems, the % were inline with WWII.

Cratex said:

The draft affected a sub-category of non-citizens called "Permanent Residents". Also known as "Green Card Holders" they have the right to live in the US indefinitely and apply for US Citizenship after five years, so they fall into a "twinner" category. They still have to sign up for selective service.

Kyruga said:

That sort of sums up my distaste for the emotional trolling this episode used. War is not always stupid. I know this is directed at children, but if they want to pretend to be "deep" then they shouldn't resort to platitudes. Was it stupid for the UK to declare war on Nazi Germany when they invaded Poland? Or for the US to fight Imperial Japan? History is complex and if we want to prevent war then we need to acknowledge this instead of relying on cliched pronouncements.

while i agree that war is a complex issue, i think you have missed the entire point of that line. no one is says that it was stupid of the US to fight Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan, but that the act of mass amounts of people fighting an organised, industrialised conflict over "reasons" is a horribly stupid one. there is a difference between saying that the concept of war is bad and the choice for a nation to fight in a certain situation is bad, they are two seperate questions with two differenct criteria of answer.

are wars generally ruthless and cruel, hell yeah. is it generally stupid, pretty much since the only real valid reason to fight and waste so much resources, lives and so forth is if you are being attacked or opressed, and then its still stupid because the people who are doing the attack in the first place have absolutely no real reason to attack you, that means that even if your participation in the war is justified, the fact that the war happened at all is stupid (for the perfect example of a near senseless war, Vietnam). you can gain so much more wealth and so much more power without war and if the trends of humanity is anything to say, it will continues to be a stupider decision over time for any people to start conflicts, it is an inefficient, sub-optimal choice that should only ever be used as the last, last, last resort

the line is cliched, but its a cliched line that (at least to me) is one of the truest lines that people should continue to learn.

also thanks for explaining that part about foreign nationals. that sounds like a weird system since you are still recruiting citizens that you have no legal rights of recruit over since they are subjects of other sovereign realms. you can recruit them all you want when they become your citizens but it really shouldnt allowed until that is done. i wonder if this can happen again in the modern age if the US decides to open up for mass recruits and drafts again
Feb 4, 2016 8:42 AM

Feb 2014
This episode was pretty intriguing. It was interesting to learn how Akari's grandfather got caught up with the uprising in 1966 and then later went to Vietnam in the war until 1976. I do lack a lot of knowledge about the Vietnam war as a whole, so I should look it up in detail later.

Akari's thoughts about Haruta and co being on a double date at the zoo was funny though. =D

Although the mystery and the drama is interesting, the lack of music is worrying me. It feels like this show wants to focus on the music, but also wants to be very similar to Sakurako's Investigation, and I do prefer Sakurako over Haruta by a long shot.

Still, at least I'm liking the art style more and more. Charlotte looked and was animated better, but this show's still very good in that section. =D
Feb 4, 2016 9:13 AM

Mar 2014
I do like that they're bringing up political issues and taboo subjects... I don't think I've ever seen an anime where they talked about things such as Chinese Americans, Vietnam war, PTSD etc

However

I still wish it could have been just a little, little bit less boring
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 4, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2016
Weakest episode so far, but I wouldn't say it was bad.
Feb 4, 2016 11:14 AM

Dec 2011
Akari really hit the bulls' eye with the double date ships. >.<

I didn't expect they would end it kind of abruptly without showing us the scene where Akari takes off the chains from her Grandpa... but they did solve the mystery.

Looks like we will see her and other first years next episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2016 12:17 PM

Jul 2009
I think it will keep going like this and nothing big will happen in this anime...
I liked Akari, looking forward to see her adventures as a member.
Feb 4, 2016 2:53 PM

Aug 2014
Since the first episode the next four have been so good and very interesting! I'm enjoying very much this anime! ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Feb 4, 2016 4:03 PM

Aug 2014
akari's grandfather perving on chika's legs was annoying ugh. other than that I didn't really think that the explanation would go this way.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2016

429 by Nakano_Nin0 »»
Sep 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.