Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 22, 2015 7:05 PM

Oct 2011
Dat ending
Jul 22, 2015 7:17 PM

Apr 2014
holy fuck, there were like 2 good episodes throughout the whole thing .-.
good lord
Jul 22, 2015 8:36 PM

May 2012
OH SNAP It's happening all over again, Endless Eight! Kyon-kun denwa~

To be honest that sure was a touch of nostalgia to the second season of Haruhi, good it didn't actually repeat itself :v However I must say that this last episode for a final was a bit easygoing, and rather weaker than I expected.

It was still nice as an ending but I expected something else I think? I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest.

All in all this anime sure was a fun watch, it brought back some really pleasant memories of the first two Haruhi seasons especially around the 10th episode when the atmosphere changed all the sudden! Still I must say that I quite liked it and it was fun to see all the characters again!
Jul 23, 2015 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
That fucking ending.
THAT FUCKING ENDING.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Oh god who are you people?
Jul 24, 2015 12:43 PM

Jan 2012
Well..... That was boring and anticlimactic.... I liked the usage of the old bgm from original Haruhi season at least. Overall I just feel like the comedy throughout the whole anime was very dull. There was 3 good episodes , and it's the episodes that didn't try to bring in the comedy that were actually good.... I just feel like the directing is to blame.

Yea the art style sucks , yea the characters have different personalities and act differently , both of those I can live with as it's an alternative universe. However the bad comedy is honestly the thing that made this series less and less enjoyable. The original Haruhi series had impact with it's comedy and was actually funny.... This however was extremely boring for me.

4/10 From me. I'll rather go read the source material and see how I find that as I genuinely like Nagato as a character.
Jul 24, 2015 5:57 PM

Feb 2013
Ah, that was great. And that endless eight reference at the end lol!!!!

8/10

Possibly even a 9/10. I just really liked it....I don't even care.
Jul 24, 2015 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
6/10 at best

HawkEye6591 said:

LOLOLOL
Jul 24, 2015 10:35 PM

Mar 2014
Good thing they didnt do that stupid endless eight public pool event, most wasted episodes in an anime in my life

well if they had to make the ending it should be the when Nagato other self disappeared and returned that would make the title of the anime have sense
Jul 26, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
Liked that endless eight references. Made me remember the madness and the feeling of going insane.

Overall the show was meh. Had its moments and not only in the Disappearance-arc, but that non-confession end showed again how toothless it was. Had fun seeing the characters again, most of them more or less the same personality-wise, but I never cared for Nagato that much (KyonxHaruhi for me) so I can only wait further on for a legit season 3 by KyoAni
Jul 26, 2015 4:06 PM

Sep 2013
Fuck this Kyon. I don't know this wishy-washy wimpy MC. Whoever wanted a Yuki-kyon pairing would also feel awkward seeing their whole forced interactions.

Despite kyon being only interested as friends with yuki, he suddenly began to love yuki when she confessed??? Wtf
Jul 29, 2015 11:14 PM
Oct 2009
I appreciate that someone brought back some of my favorite characters and was willing to try to be more than a mindless series. I deeply resent that this is all we've gotten in years.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Jul 30, 2015 8:35 PM

Jun 2013
TheSiberian said:
That ending was unsatisfying, but overall the anime was pretty intresting
Jul 31, 2015 7:41 AM
May 2014
The ending felt unfulfilling, like I was made to believe the relationship would blossom and go somewhere, but was sadly hit with the new, popular trope of "I couldn't hear you confessing your romantic feelings over the fireworks" cliché.
Jul 31, 2015 8:24 AM

Jul 2010
Well, this is fucking bullshit.
I knew what I wanted to happen will never happen.
Kiss in the final episode and start of a relationship? Yea, right. Fuck me. This fucking romance is bullshit. My ass is burning so hard.
I'm a Yuki fag and was about to rate it 9/10, but after this ending I dropped it down to 5/10.
There're good old characters and great Yuki, but THIS FUCKING ENDING
WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME
GOD
Hate that bullshit, really hate.
sbwRainJun 6, 2019 9:22 AM
Jul 31, 2015 1:17 PM

Apr 2015
I remember reading this scene in the manga, where it's not that much different, and the scene happened and I just moved on because it didn't feel deep or filled with closure. I would've ended it a few episodes back, and left possibilities for a season 2 (ignoring that Haruhi season 3 still hasn't happened yet).
Jul 31, 2015 11:58 PM
Dec 2011
Well, I can certainly agree with those that said it doesn't compare to the source work, but I won't say it was entirely without merit. It is sad that the entire time, I was hoping for any break into the original world, and rejected this one so thoroughly, but I look at this series as the "bad ending" route for the Disappearance.

As someone that has read all of the light novels, I don't know why everyone here seems to think Kyon x Yuki is such a leap, but then, I doubt many have read all the novels. That said, Kyon x THIS Yuki is a leap for me, for certain, and where I support Kyon and Yuki for the main series, here I'm all for Haruhi. Never thought I'd root for her, underdog or otherwise, but she really broke my heart with some of these scenes. Also made me think about what would happen if she were rejected in the main series. ><

Sadly, by the end, though I HATED endless eight, I would have welcomed it, as it would be a break back to the supernatural. I Stand with Kyon in his thinking that the world is much more interesting in the original universe, in so many ways. Endless Eight, while experienced by no one here, would have at least been a nod that those godly powers are still around.

Ah well. In the end... I will mark off this anime as a bad ending to my favorite movie, and leave it at that. While I do hope for S3, rather than a second season of this anime, I don't think they have enough source material for it, though the parts yet uncovered are some of my favorites. We need another light novel already. Enough of this Hiatus madness.
Aug 6, 2015 8:00 AM

Jan 2012
I thought shit is coming when I saw Kyon and his sister sitting on the sofa watching TV, and then the Kyon denwa confirmed it, but then it was all just a troll.
Aug 8, 2015 10:28 AM
Jan 2015
the only good part of this anime is when Nagato change herself from 10-13, its the best episode ever. other than that, awkward female lead never popular in manga world. Its become annoying with all the fluttering.
Aug 23, 2015 6:17 AM

Mar 2010
Well screw all of you, I liked it more than melancholy >:I
Aug 23, 2015 10:29 PM
Apr 2015
MysticJhn said:
boukendesho said:
This is how it happened in the manga. And manga hasn't ended, i.e. this is not the ending of the story.

I don't watch anime just to read manga.
I want to see a complete anime.

You shouldn't watch any adaptation-based anime then.
Sep 3, 2015 5:20 AM

Jan 2011
This had a weak start, but after Haruhi showed up it got a lot better. The series just seemed to find the right groove after she showed up.
Sep 11, 2015 10:09 AM

Feb 2014
LOL I like how the "original" Nagato kind of got NTR'ed by her other self. Welp, finally finished this travesty. You know you have failed as a show when the MC from the original series you're based on has to come and make things actually interesting, and when the best episodes are the ones in which your protagonist isn't even herself and has a completely different personality. That episode in which the other Nagato disappeared was the only time when I actually cared about this show's Nagato.
Sep 12, 2015 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
This kind of sucked as a finale but whatever.

I liked the first half of the series quite a bit, especially because I just love the character dynamics of the group and as a result enjoy their silly SoL shenanigans. After the Disappearance arc set in, the quality dropped and it never really picked back up. Oh well. I still enjoyed the series overall.

After sixteen weeks of watching this every week, I'll kind of miss it, tbh.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 13, 2015 6:11 PM

Feb 2014
There's a lot of mixed reviews about this final episode. I for one enjoyed it. It felt like the two series (the original and this one) coming together. The episodic feel and two tracks from the original series were present in this episode. Of course we can't forget about the endless 8 haha. "Hey Kyon, your phone is ringing" oh boy did that bring back some serious nostalgia lol. Overall, I enjoyed this spin-off and I hope it can continue or at least bring some life back into the Haruhi Suzumiya series ^^
Sep 16, 2015 7:47 PM
Sep 2015
Just finally caught up on this yesterday.

I have to say, I was overall really dissapointed with this series. The main character, Yuki, actually is just a moe blob that doesn't really do anything but be embarrassed and blush. She's actually less interesting than Mikuru that way. The majority of the action that happens in the series is actually Kyon interacting with people OTHER than Yuki. In fact, Yuki herself is only really interesting when she "loses her personality" and becomes more like her alien counterpart.

If there is any upside to this anime, I would say that it really made me appreciate the Kyon and Haruhi dynamic. When they are interacting, they are easily the best part of the show and the funniest and most interesting. I think this is part of Kyon's "style" of humor or wit, it really only comes out properly if Haruhi is there to act as his personal foil. Watching Kyon be nice to Yuki isn't nearly as entertaining as watching him be annoyed at Haruhi.

Finally, as someone who was never a Haruhi/Kyon shipper, I have to say that the final episode managed to give me some new insight into this relationship because of the way they portrayed Haruhi's behavior when she thought Kyon was pulling Yuki away to confess. The blank eyes/fake cheerfulness combined with the middle school flashback definitely gives you the impression that Kyon (John Smith) is far more important to her than her behavior would otherwise indicate. I think for that limited screentime they actually managed to capture the "Melancholy" of Suzuyima Haruhi quite nicely...
Sep 26, 2015 9:03 AM

Jul 2014
This was horrible way to end the anime. Also, there really isn't any point to create this spin-off. I rather have a Haruhi Season 3 than this. I guess this is only for fanboys to be obsessed over Nagato X Kyon. Hopefully this is tied into Haruhi Season 3 because this was kinda of a waste, but a nice change of pace
I like cake.
Sep 28, 2015 10:53 PM

Jul 2013
Reading through this thread makes me wish you could downvote replies.

Good series. Not as good as the original series, but still good. Love what they did with the last episode. It seems like not many people caught the Kyon likes the true Nagato of the original universe and not the shy Nagato in this series. All of the awkwardness was being caused his feelings for the true Nagato, not this one. Hence why the series doesn't conclude with them in a relationship. He doesn't want to be with her.

And that Endless Eight ending. Dayum. Scary. Makes you consider this could all be just one of those thousands of summers. Yeah, I know officially it's not. But unofficially, that's what the writers are saying.

9/10 overall. This series doesn't deserve the flak it gets.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Oct 5, 2015 8:34 AM

Nov 2011
As a finale, not from what we expected, but I was sure, LOL!
Narration almost telegraphed, no twist put to upset what was expected of it. Personally, I was expecting much more from this anime, the Satelight worked sufficiently, compared to KyoAni, oh well!

6/10
Oct 10, 2015 11:36 PM

Jul 2015
saw the endless 8 set up. almost dropped the series
Oct 19, 2015 8:05 AM
Jul 2014
I cannot comprehend my own profound disappointment in this series, even though I never had high expectations for it in the first place. Sure, in a way it's important in understanding Yuki's perspective in matter in the Disappearance of Haruhi, but each main character (Kyon, Yuki, Asakura, and to some extent Haruhi) was a shadow of their former selves and the slice of life was sub par, maybe because I'm comparing it to the original Haruhi series.

The only positives I can take out from this show are the side characters essentially being the same (Miss Asahina and Kyon's sister), if not better, all the in-your-face Easter eggs from the original series, and the Disappearance arc which really changed the tone of the show and actually gave me something worth the watch.

6/10 at best and a bitter aftertaste from me. Kyon x Haruhi for the rest of my life. Please give us a season 3 with all our favourite supernatural-ness and original characters.
Oct 27, 2015 5:36 AM

Aug 2009
good place to take a pause i guess...

s2 want

quote of the ep: "Summer oden" lol

haruhi with her festival hair is nice

feels for her though when they showed her after kyon took nagato away

epic ending... thought it was endless 8 all over again x)
Nov 1, 2015 4:22 PM
Feb 2015
So if I understood well, Kyon confessed to Nagato but she didn't hear it because of fireworks so it's like nothing happened.

Also, fuck the return of " Kyon-kun, denwa !! "
Nov 18, 2015 4:24 PM

Oct 2010
Dodara said:
Well screw all of you, I liked it more than melancholy >:I

Likewise. This is by far my favorite part of the whole franchise.

During the original series, I wanted KyonxHaruhi. I didn't even particularly like Nagato until the movie.

9/10 Will recommend to other CGDCT fans who liked, but didn't love, the original series and schizoid Nagato. Seems we must be a truly niche demographic.
Nov 19, 2015 12:06 PM

Dec 2014
ok average show but ok I guess
Nov 21, 2015 10:06 PM

Sep 2008
I love this episode. I enjoy seeing a godlike character like haruhi gets beaten (even though I ship kyon/haruhi).

I was concerned at earlier episodes that this might not be kyon/yuki, but the conclusion made me happy.

9/10, because kyon/yuki and the scenes with haruhi's sour face.
Live the life that you love, Love the life that you live...
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. - The Buddha
Jan 13, 2016 10:04 PM
Jul 2015
The ending was OK. Not amazing or bad just OK.
Feb 10, 2016 5:01 AM
May 2013
ninja88880 said:
Can't be a good show if main girl is this boring.
So true .

Take out nostalgia and this is 5/10.
Feb 25, 2016 6:52 AM

Jan 2013
Kyon-kun DENWA~ - Ah the ∞ 8 memories :D

Good to see Kyon finally was able to tell Yuki, took him long enough.
Haruhi clearly wasnt pleased but accepted the fact aswell.

Lmao at the ending, clearly making fun of the Endless Eight arc :D

Haruhi, Tsuruya and Asakura definitely were the best features for this show imo.
I just couldnt get used to the shy (almost cringe at some times) Yuki we got to know, I liked her way more in her original state (being an alien)
Oh and don't forget about Koizumi at the inn, taking his baths ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm not sure whether to give it a 6/10 or 7/10.
I guess since it could fit in with the main story and the aforementioned characters being amazing it'll be: 7/10
Mar 21, 2016 1:05 PM

Jun 2008
isvak said:
Well I am happy that we could see material from the Suzumiya Haruhi series, even though it's a spin off. It disappointed me a little bit but it was a nice ride. 6/10.
About this episode, although it was a beautiful moment, Haruhi's reaction when Kyon took Yuki away shattered my heart in one thousand million pieces.
References to the original series and Endless Eight are great. "Kyon-kun denwa!" is back!
I enjoyed this last episode because it had flashes of the original second season. Even the "Disappearance of Hurahi Suzimiya" was there with "John Smith" helping her with the alien message.
What I got out of this was Hurahi seemed to have like Kyon but was saddened the he remembered nothing about that night together and was focusing on Yuki. It was a bitter-sweet ending to me.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Sep 23, 2016 4:15 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Love declaration beside the fireworks, and the life continues.... Don´t like much this alterntive world of Suzumiya....5/10.
Nov 27, 2016 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
As fan of the original series, I liked this anime well enough. I'm pretty biased towards anything Haruhi, and I loved all the references to the original in this. Koizumi still best character and this version of Yuki was fun to watch. Disappearance arc was pretty damn good. Ending could have been better, but I really wasn't expecting too much from the series to begin with.

Overall 7.5/10 rounding up to 8 for MAL scoring.
Dec 2, 2016 9:55 AM

Apr 2009
That Kyon's confession is just so meh.

6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2017 10:35 AM

Jan 2015
For some reasons I feel I should watch this episode 8 times...
Apr 12, 2017 7:43 PM

Aug 2010
I'm sorry but this was so luster lack compared to the first series it was meh and boring at times, Yuki as a MC wasn't a good choice or at least wasn't well played out for me
Oct 8, 2017 4:22 AM
Sep 2013
8/10 for the series as a whole. I'm honestly kind of surprised that this shows average rating is as low as it is. From what I've been reading, it seems a lot of people were upset that they changed the characters so much from their Melancholy originals. Personally, I was fine with, and actually liked most of the changes made.

As for the ending reference to Endless 8, I smiled; I'm one of the rare fans of that arc.
Nov 7, 2017 1:18 PM
Jul 2015
4/10 for this, although I'm a fan of Haruhi franchise:

-the whole story are your pretty decent romcom SoL anime these days. 10-13 was the best episode, the rest was boring.

-yuki chara design is so poor (she's one of my fav chara, then why tf satelight ruin it)

-boring kyon (i like the old kyon bcs he known for always complaining every haruhi action)

-mikuru and itsuki lack of screentime+presence (i feel like their presence just like a supporting character)

-no "kyon kun denwa"
Nov 17, 2017 12:51 AM

Mar 2016
If nothing else good comes from this experience, at least it inspired me to create this:

Because after all, had it not been for PLOT, Kyon would have, by fate, been hand in hand with Haruhi and not Yuki "Moe"gato.

2/10, the second worst anime I have ever seen in my life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2017 6:27 PM
Jan 2012
Wow. Kyon says your feelings, but Yuki didn`t listed,because fireworks/hanabi, I`m frustrated. The final don`t have much big surprises. I like the animation,but the final don`t have much answers. Liked see all characthers happy in festival and expressions of Yuki. Asahina has a strange taste, by blenders,I never think,and don`t have reasons to destroy cell phones,because so very expensive.
Haruhi make a good script for vacations. The scene plays bowling and Baseball so very funny,Asahina make me a little laugh`s sometimes. Scene kyon and Nagato in rain so very kawaii,very cool. In soon watch OVA in next 2 or 5 days. Good anime,but the surprises stays more in the middle not in the final.
Yukata so very beautiful cloth`s,fantastic.
Jan 4, 2018 8:34 PM
Jan 2018
Please make season 2...I have waiting 2 years
Jan 16, 2018 11:28 AM

Jan 2016
I kinda felt like this ending was a massive troll. Ended up going with that 'Cant hear love confession over the fireworks' cliche, and the characters more or less the same as they were at the start of the series, save for Nagato herself, and even then only slightly.
Oh, and the Endless Eight scene too. For a second there I honestly thought that there was a possibility that the episode would loop, but nope, lol. (That was funny though...)

Quite an unsatisfying ending, as most people agree. 7/10. It had its moments that differed it from other Slice of Life series, but alas, didn't capitalise on them. In the end, it was still filled with various tropes that could easily be avoided and character motives further expanded upon, and the ending makes it seem like nothing really needed to happen.

Kyon-kun, denwa...
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

358 by _untitled »»
May 5, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2015

85 by Sachoza »»
Apr 27, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

90 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 15, 7:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.