Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 9, 2015 2:16 AM

Oct 2014
"Old" Nagato is back... ^^

read from right to left
Jun 9, 2015 6:04 AM

Sep 2014
GenesisAria said:
To some confusion on the "who are you?" (Anata, dare desuka? lit. You, who is/are?) part, if i am not mistaken, this terminology isn't necessarily used the same way we would. It's not only for asking who an unknown individual is, but also in spiritual context. Imagine "Who are you and what have you done with my Yuki?" a common phrase i hear around when someone is making a break of character.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OOCIsSeriousBusiness

When someone's entire aura isn't the same as you're used to, not even just the way they're acting that day (if you've ever been around split personality people, this is a very real thing), then seeking to discern who is using the body at that time is sensible.

Aside from that, it's cool to see some meta-story come together again. I figured we were looking at old yuki right from when she was sitting on the road. She doesn't seem to have any power or database though, just personality. Here i was expecting this to just be a totally carefree fun show front to back, pleasantly surprised i was.

We know know what the title means by "Disappearance" of Nagato Yuki-chan. Interesting way to twist the idea... her normal self disappearing instead of her completely disappearing. When i saw "Someday in the Rain" i immediately knew we were going somewhere, even if superficially (it also made me wonder if i'd missed the titles of previous episodes lol).

Will Kyon end up saving stabbed Kyon? Tune in next time and find out!

that is a pretty cool idea, but I dont want to see the movie getting spoiled by these shitty graphics. And I dont feel like the Asakuras are the same. Would be a nice OVA however. since this asakura could be pretty shocked by the way Yuki changes.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 9, 2015 6:47 AM
Mar 2013
GenesisAria said:
To some confusion on the "who are you?" (Anata, dare desuka? lit. You, who is/are?) part, if i am not mistaken, this terminology isn't necessarily used the same way we would. It's not only for asking who an unknown individual is, but also in spiritual context. Imagine "Who are you and what have you done with my Yuki?" a common phrase i hear around when someone is making a break of character.

Yep. What Asakura wanted to say to Nagato was something like, "You must be a fake. You can't be Nagato. Answer who really you are?"

(That's why, the just simple and silent scene at that moment looked very scarey, I guess.)
Jun 9, 2015 7:00 AM
Mar 2013
Comander-07 said:
And I don't feel like the Asakuras are the same. Would be a nice OVA however. since this asakura could be pretty shocked by the way Yuki changes.

Asakura in this show is just a good girl with some overprotective attitude to Nagato. I guess she hasn't back to original Asakura yet.
htsujiJun 9, 2015 7:05 AM
Jun 9, 2015 9:19 AM

Sep 2014
Amazing episode, easily the best episode of this series so far.
An enormous change in atmosphere and a great soundtrack to suit it.

It's so good to have Yuki back, she just feels far more natural.
Her expressions (or lack thereof), reading habits, tone of voice and manner of speaking.

Were all the episodes up until now simply to establish the "norm" for this world?
I don't know anything about the manga for this and was not expecting this kind of change at all, especially over halfway through the series.

This line was pretty amusing because of the irony:
Mirai, zura~!
Jun 9, 2015 9:32 AM

Sep 2014
htsuji said:
Comander-07 said:
And I don't feel like the Asakuras are the same. Would be a nice OVA however. since this asakura could be pretty shocked by the way Yuki changes.

Asakura in this show is just a good girl with some overprotective attitude to Nagato. I guess she hasn't back to original Asakura yet.

yeah I really like her. But she was mostly like this in all the other timelines too. Just that she hasnt focused on Nagato that much. I actually liked her in the original show too.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 9, 2015 10:31 AM

Jun 2015
They are doing a good work with this arc. In the manga it was so much fast that something was almost hard to happen. Like in the end of the arc...
Sei: "I Know you're thinking about a menage-a-trois. My lord...
Kazuko: "Would you like to join them, Sei?"
Sei: "I see... That might be interesting."
Jun 9, 2015 11:04 AM

Nov 2014
This is where people should start watching, even skipping the foregoing episodes is fine. The atmosphere is amazing, even better than my favourite some day in the rain. The one scene where Nagato just walked out of the door like nothing happened after Kyon touched her forehead, I was cheering.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Jun 9, 2015 11:19 AM

Dec 2009
Comander-07 said:
GenesisAria said:

that is a pretty cool idea, but I dont want to see the movie getting spoiled by these shitty graphics. And I dont feel like the Asakuras are the same. Would be a nice OVA however. since this asakura could be pretty shocked by the way Yuki changes.
But Yuki did get all flustered in the movie for a moment, similar to the moe Yuki in this series. So it is possible as a parallel reality thing.

htsuji said:
Comander-07 said:
Frankly, this Asakura scares me, she might suddenly go yandere... that's the feeling i get.

I find this all amusing, because in a way, the original series was secretly more about Yuki than Haruhi (Haruhi was just the centre of attention). For example, the entirety of endless eight was for empathizing with Yuki. And now we get another series that puts her in the spotlight anyways XD
GenesisAriaJun 9, 2015 11:26 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jun 9, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2011
Seriousness begins and Nagato has returned OMG

Preparing my tissues
Jun 9, 2015 10:05 PM

Jun 2013
Very depressing episode yet it was easily the best so far.
Jun 9, 2015 11:49 PM

Apr 2015
The ending song was suddenly 10 times sadder than usual. Quite an achievement. Am I the only one that hopes this ends with the announcement of another Kyoani season?
Low personal standards for how you spend your free time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPoucb2tAbI&index=1&list=PLBs9zRxK-93550LTq7tZqT1FOe1j7WVOP

You could do worse. Not much, but still...
Jun 10, 2015 12:35 AM

Apr 2015
Eggplanto said:
The ending song was suddenly 10 times sadder than usual. Quite an achievement. Am I the only one that hopes this ends with the announcement of another Kyoani season?

As much as I want that to happen, I find that unlikely for numerous reasons. Most of which have more to do with KyoAni and less to do with Haruhi
Jun 10, 2015 8:57 PM

Jun 2014
SmashTheOni said:
Great episode. Although I do remember the manga having this moving much faster, with Asakura saying "Who are you?" almost immediately after the incident.

I also like that Yuki's spare glasses match that of her glasses from the main series. Also, did anyone else notice the "Someday in the Rain" theme playing with a slightly different notation during the clubroom scene?

Man, this was a nostalgic episode.

Its better drawn out in my opinion since it adds to the mood.

Best episode since the first three.
Jun 10, 2015 10:52 PM

Oct 2014
time to edit my score chart for this anime..
Jun 11, 2015 11:01 PM

Jun 2008
wahhh dead-pan Yuki!! <33 I kinda hope she stays this way, moe-shy Yuki is just too weird (even though I'm starting to get used to her)

although, I'm guessing there's no supernatural shenanigans behind this, which means original Yuki is still best Yuki.

Asakura noticed, but I wonder if Kyon noticed too and was just too polite to say anything
Jun 12, 2015 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
She is back!! This Yuki is so much better than the last one.
Jun 12, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
Finally things are getting interesting
It was getting kinda boring recently, tbh

yay
o/
Jun 14, 2015 3:41 AM

Mar 2014
Nyeees

Nagato speaks French
yaiba064 said:
This is where people should start watching, even skipping the foregoing episodes is fine.
What? No. Starting to watch the series here would just be confusing. Nobody would understand why they made such a fuss over Nagato's glasses being different, why Asakura asked Nagato "Who are you?", why Kyon said "She's reading which is rare for her" etc. Skipping a few episodes would probably be fine, but skipping all of the previous episodes would just be stupid
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 18, 2015 6:10 AM

Nov 2011
It is only now the mainstream of history, which in hindsight is realized quite well. Narrative has managed to give the right impression and the soundtrack has contributed to the goal. The designs were not as bad quality, good also the sets, we see how the plot will run until the end; I'm curious.

esofdiamon said:

"Who are you?"

"I'm a demon"

LOL
Jun 23, 2015 12:23 PM

Oct 2013
The Yuki we all know and love is back! I'm not sure how the next episode is gonna go at all. I just wanna know how Ryouko remembers anything (if she does, that is).
"The world cannot be changed with pretty words alone." ~Lelouch Lamperouge
Jun 30, 2015 3:01 PM

Jan 2013
Tons of background music this episode. Interesting for the alternate universe Yuki Nagato to replace her. Maybe some supernatural stuff will happen.
Jul 1, 2015 6:32 AM

Jan 2011
Can't say I was expecting any of this.
Jul 4, 2015 2:54 PM
Apr 2014
That was a strange episode. And somehow really hard to watch oO

Why did she read french books. Like wtf. And why is Kyon not questioning it >.<
Jul 7, 2015 9:04 AM
Nov 2014
I felt sooo sad for Asakura in this episode.. Even though I already read the manga, it still feels so sad...
Jul 10, 2015 10:01 PM

Mar 2012
Still can't get used to knife girl appearing so much.

No haruhi...

At least there's emotionless Yuki.
Jul 22, 2015 3:35 PM

May 2012
Oh boy the atmosphere sure changed drastically, this feels completely the same as the original one! Wow I'm pretty flabbergasted by it! Really looking forward to see what the next 6 episodes will offer.
Jul 24, 2015 4:45 PM

Sep 2013
Even I felt awkward listening to yuki's conversations.
Aug 1, 2015 10:33 AM

Oct 2013
What a slow episode... not in a bad way, but the atmosphere was straight up suffocating; frankly, this episode was jarring compared to all the previous episodes.

I don't even know how to feel about the return of original Nagato. It is nostalgic, but it was also almost difficult to watch. I can't even predict where it'll go from here.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 12, 2015 4:37 PM

Aug 2009
daijoubu, mondainai.

slow ep, feels like nothing happened but a lot has happened

asakura best girl, asakura x nagato all the way

no shit sherlock, took you one whole ep to realize nagato is different lol (jk, she probably knew from the start)

i don't mind keeping this nagato, but we need some support like haruhi to really make the series shine again (I do have to say that the bgm and the mood buildup is quite nice though)
Oct 31, 2015 5:26 PM
Feb 2015
Ok so she now got the personnality from her self in the original world

I liked her personnality in the original show because it was in context but seeing her go from " cute, shy and in-love " to " stoic " is weird
Jan 1, 2016 3:15 AM

Dec 2009
Well this one was really gloomy. Old Nagato is back and that last question ... It gets interesting
Feb 3, 2016 12:37 AM
May 2013
Plot twist : Nagato is actually an artificial human with no emotions created by aliens , what caused her the change wasn't the hit to the head but the glasses . The glasses are aliens who use her as a human interface , the old glasses are actually the real Nagato Yuki while the backup is just an program meant to keep the body alive while doing simple task like eating, talking, etc.
Feb 24, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2013
Zarnaav said:
Plot twist : Nagato is actually an artificial human with no emotions created by aliens , what caused her the change wasn't the hit to the head but the glasses . The glasses are aliens who use her as a human interface , the old glasses are actually the real Nagato Yuki while the backup is just an program meant to keep the body alive while doing simple task like eating, talking, etc.

Wouldnt make sense since she took off the glasses loads of time and she already switched personalities before she put on the "backup" glasses.

Yay back to the Yuki we know !
The setting sure changed really fast though.

Was kinda getting bored with the SOL vibe so I'm glad it took this turn.
Mar 16, 2016 2:10 AM

Jun 2008
Hearing the old Nagato voice had me grinning ear to ear.
Baka-Tsuki discord server
Sep 16, 2016 10:59 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Who are you??? interesting ends episode!!!
Dec 2, 2016 4:42 AM

Apr 2009
Haruhi is the only one that is keeping this show alive.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2020 12:06 AM

Jun 2009
Ah shit, I was really enjoying the somewhat silly rom-com. I didn't want this to get serious.
Jun 16, 2020 9:49 AM

Feb 2019
The Yuki we know from the main series is here...

This is quite mysterious.

And Asakura realises this is a completely different person.
Nov 19, 2020 6:20 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Lol! Yuki personality at the main series has been posessed into this Yuki. Those awkward slow as hell pace. Its really someday in the rain episode afterall! XD

What an interesting way to trigger the real plot of the dissapearance. I am quite surprised, to be honestly, never expected the drama to be involved as a plot driver. Its kinda weird, but understandable with how Asakura and Kyon reaction to Yuki's transformation, especially Asakura that had a gut to speak up. Well .... was i liking this Yuki? I am loving her whatever she was. But, i am kinda feel bad with her situations at these world. I hope she could awakened and came back to her previous personality. Because this universe didn't match up her personality to the nuances that happened before, at all. So, lets see whats they were doing to Yuki's situations, that looks like she might get an intensed care ....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 2, 2021 6:46 PM

Jun 2014
That "accident" has affected Yuki, and she seems more like the Yuki from the original series.

Will she ever change back?

Apr 7, 2021 9:06 PM

Jan 2021
I like both Yuki’s especially the original one, but I don’t think she’ll remain there because they can’t just get rid of the cute/shy Yuki. Even with the return of original Yuki, this episode had a depressing as hell atmosphere. Great episode.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Mar 17, 2023 11:06 AM

Nov 2010
Nagato's personality changed because the glasses she uses often got damaged?
The ED also changed. Most people around her became silhouettes. Interesting.
Sep 19, 2023 1:49 AM

Dec 2020
Did the original come to this universe and take over her body? Seems the same and I can't see it being a student personality shift.

Also the face she made when the fireworks was mentioned. Like ugh not that disaster again lmao
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

181 by Pitt83 »»
Mar 4, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

90 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 15, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

357 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Jan 31, 8:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.