Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 8, 2009 9:21 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really enjoyed this movie, it had a simple and nice mood to it. People who enjoyed "Only Yesterday" and "Whisper of the Heart" will most likely enjoy this lesser known Ghibli.
KinetaSep 10, 2012 12:19 AM
Dec 3, 2009 7:26 PM

Jan 2008
"This is starting to sound like a bad soap opera."

Exactly. But if the writters knew it, why did they keep it up? Yea, I guess they gave us a realistic relationship. I can't say it was all that entertaining.
Mar 23, 2010 6:47 AM
Mar 2010
Do you know any animes similar to the three you mentioned (Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves and Whisper of the Heart)?
Apr 22, 2010 6:27 PM

Sep 2008
There was some kind of odd magic in this move, must be the Ghibli, that made it worth watching. The main character was quite nice, trying to put "bros before hoes" but I just found his demeanor to be quite good since he wasn't a pervert at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2010 6:12 AM

Jun 2009
Not a lot of action going on here in the forums. Which is sad considering anyone who has graduated high school can relate to this movie.

I used to hate my high school days. Several years later, and after meeting some of my old classmates, I realized how fun those times actually were.
May 4, 2010 9:20 AM
May 2010
I love this film. I think it's the best film released by Ghibli, personally, because of how much it appeals to me.
May 7, 2010 3:06 AM
Jan 2009
physics223 said:
I love this film. I think it's the best film released by Ghibli, personally, because of how much it appeals to me.

Amen to that bro
May 12, 2010 5:32 PM

Jul 2009
Good movie, but it could be better if this movie duration is 2 hours,they can make the romance part more detail. I kinda felt the pace is too fast.
May 13, 2010 10:30 PM

Jul 2009
Wonderful, really that was a good story, not some stupid things we found in shounen romance recently, and i must say, the male lead is very funny, i like that kind of character
May 14, 2010 4:44 AM
Jan 2009
Laevantein said:
Wonderful, really that was a good story, not some stupid things we found in shounen romance recently, and i must say, the male lead is very funny, i like that kind of character

You found him funny? :S
Thats strange.

I liked him because he was realistic
May 15, 2010 1:05 AM

Jul 2009
I'm not being negative when i say i found him funny, i like him, he is the kind of character i like, not a regular main character which i usually encountered in Shounen romance, i can't really described him very well but i like those kind of character

Here is my perception of funny in my perspective, funny in this main lead is what i describe as cute or "he is a fun guy" just like i describe him as a best friend maybe, not such as i laugh at him because i found him funny, maybe we have a different ways of describing the words, it happens all the time
LaevanteinMay 15, 2010 1:10 AM
May 15, 2010 4:49 AM
Jan 2009
I kind of understand what you're trying to say.
kind of..... :)
May 15, 2010 6:57 AM

Jul 2009
bLaCk_LeG said:
I kind of understand what you're trying to say.
kind of..... :)
Well what can i say, we have different language, english is not my native, so i apologize if i made you misunderstand what i'm trying to say
May 15, 2010 9:35 AM
Jan 2009
Well we all like Ocean Waves and that's all that matters :)
May 15, 2010 12:00 PM

Feb 2009
Wow, nice to see thie movie is getting popular. I always thought it was overlooked with the likes of Whisper of the Heart and Princess Mononoke out there.
May 16, 2010 3:52 AM
Jan 2009
Actually Ocean Waves is my favorite Ghibli :D
Slice of Life at its finest
May 20, 2010 5:25 AM
Nov 2008
It was quite alright piece o' life, though I didn't particularly feel for it, will most likely forget this in the long run. Slap scene was the best part.

Sep 27, 2010 3:32 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't really like Rikako.The scene where she gets bitch slapped was quite satisfying.

On a more serious note,the film was enjoyable for me.I think it would have worked much better as a series,though.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Oct 17, 2010 3:53 PM

Jan 2010
I loved, it gave me a good feeling while watching.

Urufuzu_rein said:
I didn't really like Rikako.The scene where she gets bitch slapped was quite satisfying.

Same here, but in the end she was so pretty that made me forget about everything else. :(
Feb 12, 2011 1:07 PM

Sep 2008
datsunvic said:
"This is starting to sound like a bad soap opera."

Exactly. But if the writters knew it, why did they keep it up? Yea, I guess they gave us a realistic relationship. I can't say it was all that entertaining.

That line reminded me of when the guy from 5 Cm/s says "every second feels like an eternity". They pretty much describe their respective movies in just one line.

I thought it was decent and somewhat etertaining, but that's it. I also found some scenes to be a bit corny and some parts a bit too convenient. This would definitely appeal to younger people in their teens or people barely out of that age, but its not really for someone who's looking for something mature (its based on a shoujo novel after all).

I liked the music and the presentation, and its definitely a feel-good relaxing anime that you should watch at the end of a hard day. Not Ghiblis best, and definitely not the most underrated either since it enjoys a cult following among ghibli fans on MAL. But a decent movie nonetheless

6/10
eyerokJun 12, 2011 6:16 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 23, 2011 4:03 PM
Aug 2007
Enjoyed this movie a lot. The nostalgic feeling of being in High School really got me..
Jun 12, 2011 3:59 AM

Aug 2010
hated it! They should not get married...
Dec 21, 2011 2:43 AM

Mar 2007
^ Uhh... did those photos during the credits roll gave you a marriage vibe?

Back on track, this movie has a good realistic male lead, and the relationship between the girls, their friends and between the male lead and his male friends felt real. It is no wonder how people can relate to this movie more than fantasy-based Ghibli movies.

It is too bad, IMO, that anime of the modern world are keen on making perverted, foolish-looking male leads that supposedly add romantic elements to the story. Bummer.
Jul 7, 2012 11:07 AM

Jan 2010
Am I the only one who was glad when she got slapped? What's with the attitude? -.-
I like the main male character; he has a very realistic personality and is an over-all good guy :) The whole movie was worth it for him. But her... >_>*
Dec 11, 2012 11:39 PM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
This was definitely a strange one for me. After watching it I felt really unsatisfied. I didn't really like it, but I couldn't call it bad, because there was this nagging feeling that I hadn't "gotten" something really important. It's been almost half a year since I watched Ocean Waves, and every time I've thought about it since I've been liking it more and more. Now I feel like I understand what it's all about. The plot meanders and the some of the characters are unlikeable, and the end feels like a complete 180 from the whole rest of the film, but it's like that because that's what real life is like. Things happen without rhyme or reason, and you encounter people that you don't like in life. Currently I'm thinking about the last part, which is what bothered me the most, and what I'm starting to understand. I think I'll understand this idea of time changing people and our perception of the past once I'm a little older.
Jul 13, 2013 11:47 PM

Jan 2013
Lame ending.
Liked the dynamic they had though.
6/10
Oct 3, 2013 9:05 AM

Mar 2012
Not directed by Hayao Miyazaki, how disappointing.

it`s too boring to me, the only good part is the MC, weird conversation, bitch slap and the romance development.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 13, 2013 7:24 PM
Oct 2008
It was... okay, sadly the annoying ass female lead brings this down way too much

6/10
Apr 11, 2014 10:05 AM

Sep 2012
For my first Ghibli film, this was not a good impression.

Would it kill Japan to make a female romantic interest who is actually likable? It really says a lot about a character when you find yourself rooting for the girls bullying her.

Seriously, the entire movie, all she did was act like a spoiled, ungrateful, bratty, entitled bitch. And then the main guy just went along with it because... well I guess you can't say no to a cute girl, right? Fucking hell. The way they tried to paint her as all tragic and sympathetic fell fucking flat. Maybe it would have worked out if she wasn't characterized as such a bitch. That scene where he slapped her was probably what kept me from dropping the movie half way through. And that's not a good thing.

I liked the ending though. I really like how it showed them all grow up and mature. That's probably what saved the whole thing for me, the characters realizing "wow, we acted like a bunch of immature rotten little shits". But, them realizing at the end that they are more mature than they were before doesn't negate the fact that it was incredibly unpleasant to watch. I wish there was a scene at the end where the main girl said something along the lines of "sorry I was a huge cunt to everybody and that you all had to put up with my shit". That would have raised my score a little bit. But alas.

I liked the music though. And the visuals weren't bad. I also liked the main character when he wasn't being a complete door mat.

3/10 I wouldn't recommend this to anybody, unless they're really into watching spoiled brats getting their shit put up with for no reason other than the fact that they're a woman.
Red_KeysNov 24, 2014 8:56 PM
Apr 12, 2015 12:44 PM

Apr 2014
It was fine, I guess. 8/10

That 1h and 12min wasn't enough for me.
May 24, 2015 7:01 PM

May 2014
Omo, that part where he slept on the bath tub when Rikako fell asleep on the bed. Just wow, you rarely find guys like that. What a gentleman. He didn't take advantage of the situation.

Plus this xD

Hahaha, this made me laugh so hard. He's like, he didn't know what to do when Rikako cried out to him!
violityMay 24, 2015 7:09 PM
Jul 18, 2015 3:44 PM

Jun 2012
Damn just finished watching it and just realized the Blu ray remaster was just released in Japan today... should've just waited lmao.

That said... Muto was such a bitch lol. Taku slapping her was probably best part of the movie. I think its weird they just became in love with each other at the end of the film. Still it was solid. I might check out that remastered version.
Aug 3, 2015 3:22 AM
Dec 2011
i loved it another ghibli masterpiece it was so entertaining to watch. the story flowed very smoothly .the characters decisions that they made was so real and understandable also they were just normal people. you will surely relate to at least one character because the actions they take is very close to your heart. its a beautiful love story between taku and rikako . very touching and heart warming i loved it very much :3
Aug 9, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
Good and nostalgic story. Was really enjoying its slice of life moments and I really think they managed to capture usual school lives pretty well. Kinda similiar to Mimi wo Sumaseba but I liked that one a bit better.

It was good as good old Ghibli movies and the atmosphere was just about perfect but I found their (non-)relationship during the movie kinda lacking if they were to end together as ending suggested.
I get they both liked each other and simply didn't tell but there really was nothing that would eventually lead to this ending. They had great chemistry and dialogues with each other were really natural, I know, but they were just mostly arguing with each other and Muto was using him most of the time. Though sometimes one little detail and being in the right time at the right place is enough to get two people together, I know this myself pretty well.

It was very refreshing to watch movie like this because these days there are simply no such animes. Not a masterpiece but the movie you can recommend.

7/10
Sep 9, 2015 3:55 PM

Jul 2009
This was probably my least favourite Studio Ghibli film (along with Only Yesterday). I suppose I just don't get into the whole slice of life genre that much.
Dec 15, 2015 8:53 PM

Dec 2014
well it took me quite a time to figure out what exactly went wrong when morisaki was slapped and then punched...
but now i am more satisfied to have understand the situation...a good light-hearted(may be) movie..

Jul 16, 2016 10:08 AM

Oct 2013
That train make me though that it's going to end like 5cm/s lol. Whatever, I give it 8/10 cuz how realistic and nostalgic it is.
Jul 23, 2016 3:23 PM
Sep 2010
I like the general feel of the movie, of looking back on middle/high school life and remembering things like spring break and summer vacation. Though the girl put up such an incredibly bitchy attitude throughout the whole movie, I really couldn't stand her. Really pulled down my impression of the movie. As multiple people have said above, her getting slapped was the most satisfying scene.
Sep 6, 2016 7:51 AM

Feb 2013
He was awful.
First he slaps her and next he doesn't help her when she's bullied, dunno what is she seeing in him.
Jan 26, 2017 5:48 PM

Apr 2012
It's fairly watchable but also quite frustrating. The characters don't have many redeeming features, and while you can sympathise to an extent, I don't really find myself rooting for them at all.
Mar 25, 2017 6:11 PM

May 2016
This outstanding film might be the best high school drama I've ever seen. It saddens me to see how underrated it is by most of this site's users.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Apr 2, 2017 10:27 PM
Dec 2011
Personally, I cheered for Rikako Muto due to one scene. But a couple of things made me thought she was a real bitch prior
Jul 30, 2017 4:32 AM

Jun 2017
I think the only entertaining part of this movie was when Taku slapped Rikako in return! haha!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 16, 2017 8:15 PM

Aug 2013
I liked this quite a bit, I don't think it's on the level of Whisper of the Heart, or Only yesterday but it was a nice watch none the less.
Aug 28, 2017 10:07 AM

Aug 2013
Firstly, this movie was probably a huge inspiration for Shinkai Makoto. It contains everything which Makoto is using. THE TRAINS!

Secondly, MAL rating is a joke, as always.
Great movie.
I must do a research in less popular Ghibli productions. I didn't like thier most popular movies, but this one was simply beautiful.
Not mentioning about wonderful artwork.
9/10!!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 27, 2017 4:06 PM
May 2012
it's a nice movie, but too short.
i like the mc, and he's got good style, too. felt bad for glasses-kun, though.
after all these years, SOL anime is still amazing and comforting to me.
Dec 30, 2017 6:40 PM
Feb 2016
japanda said:
Am I the only one who was glad when she got slapped? What's with the attitude? -.-
I like the main male character; he has a very realistic personality and is an over-all good guy :) The whole movie was worth it for him. But her... >_>*

I totally agree. I could relate to the male lead, Morisaki Taku, and I totally hated the girl, Rikako, and how manipulative she was. I was satisfied when she got slapped back. I can't believe that later, she slapped him again, right after he was trying to compliment her for standing up against all those girls. I felt like she deserved all the crap all those girls were giving her anyway, because of how selfish and nasty she had been. Remember when she reacted nastily to Matsuno Yutaka, who had a crush on her and finally admitted it? I can't believe how mean she was in her response. It also surprised me that after Taku got slapped near the end of the movie, he also was punched by Yutaka. What a jerk, Yutaka was.
May 20, 2018 10:02 AM
Mar 2018
Just watched this film for like the third time and had a debate for like an hour since my friend absolutely hated it.

In the end we realized that's just the kind of movie it is and at the very least the aesthetic is very nice and has aged very well, especially the way it's directed and the drawn.

The overall feel is super nostalgic despite me never had grown up in the showa days in Japan.

Like half the people here, my friend hated mutou and didn't understand why the main character would like her and also that he was an idiot to stick with her.

But I think that's the whole point. He doesnt even realize he liked her until the very end of the film.

There were subtle hints like the photos of mutou or him feeling bad for her, but nearly the whole movie he ponders why he even deals with her and how she's so spoiled or whatever.

In my own words, I feel like the message here was that when you like someone, you'll sacrifice yourself for someone else, you'll do stupid things and even hate the other person. But why do put up with it? Because you like them, and it's never always that obvious. You waver back and forth and by the time you realize it, you already like that person.

I think thats what explains his back and forth with help her out and fighting with her, and his friend pointing out he liked her before he even realized it.

Although I'm not going to say this is the perfect film since maybe the story could have been told better, but to me the message behind everything and the subtly of it really makes me fall in love with it.

Sorry for the long post, but just my 2 cents on a truly unique film.
Nov 4, 2018 10:27 AM

Apr 2009
Nothing really special about this movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2019 2:38 PM

Sep 2011
I like this one a lot, it's a very down-to-earth teen drama. Their worries, and struggles feel real, and even relatable. The love triangle feels especially well done. But even though it isn't bad at all, it still feels a bit bland to me. The animation is very beautiful though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Change the Entry Picture request

RandomGuyScott - Aug 23, 2022

4 by Y_O_U_V_A »»
Aug 22, 2023 3:16 AM

» Missing song on the soundtrack

BaronVonBarron - Aug 17, 2021

1 by anhtt »»
Dec 21, 2021 1:40 AM

» Novel's

Akagi-kun - Jul 8, 2015

3 by Emerardo »»
Jun 30, 2021 8:48 PM

» Why Umi ga Kikoeru (The Ocean Waves) is tagged as a 'Special' type instead of a 'Movie'?

TahZin - Mar 22, 2017

3 by TahZin »»
Oct 18, 2017 8:13 PM

» Optimum Releasing - UK R2 release

wrrlykam - Jun 10, 2009

4 by lakshika »»
Aug 1, 2015 6:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.