Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2009 8:07 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aftermath episode

Apparently, Lilan's blood lust was temporary so she turned back to normal after a while.

Erin and Iaru shared a lot of secrets, with Kirik eavesdropping. One can doubt whether Kirik will have a change of heart at some point....

Next episode: will Erin reveal the past history to Shin-Ou?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 18, 2009 12:45 PM

Feb 2009
I definitely think this has brought Iaru and Erin closer together.
Oct 18, 2009 12:49 PM

Jun 2007
Yay! lots of ErinxIaru timeeeee!

Oct 18, 2009 5:28 PM

Jun 2007
wakka9ca said:
Next episode: will Erin reveal the past history to Shin-Ou?

They said it in the preview that she would. I think the real question is what will Kirik do with the secret of Erin's mom being sentenced to death for braking a major rule? Will he tell Damiya or will he keep it a secret.

I suspect Kirik will have a change of heart at some point. He may even protect Erin. He kind of seems like one of those expendable characters that will die too.

I wonder who Erin will end up with, Ial or Tomura. They both seem like the same person so I'd probably be happy with either.
Oct 19, 2009 3:53 PM

Jul 2009
magentaanbu said:
<3 Iaru!

I can't believe he didn't realize that someone was listening in on their conversation. Maybe the venom was making his super sehzan skills slip a bit? I, too, wonder what Kirik will do with this information.

The next ep should be quite interesting with the Queen hearing Erin's story and whatnot. Can't wait!

I don't want the series to end though. /sigh
Oct 19, 2009 5:24 PM

Nov 2008
wakka9ca said:
Apparently, Lilan's blood lust was temporary so she turned back to normal after a while.

magentaanbu said:

Clairseana said:
I can't believe he didn't realize that someone was listening in on their conversation. Maybe the venom was making his super sehzan skills slip a bit?
Oct 22, 2009 1:03 AM

Aug 2007
It's rare for me to watch anime where there is zero action without reverting my eyes even / picking in my nose for a second. This episode somehow managed to completely absorb my attention. This anime makes miracles and almost every time I'm surprised (in a positive way). Even if the next 10 episodes would be crappy (which is impossible) it's gonna be one of my favourite anime for a long time.

I liked how Erin hesitated when she was informed that Queen was injured and instead of rushing to her aid her priority was a life of a little girl. She didn't care about a status and only when the guard said that he would save the girl she went to the Queen. The same goes for healing Daimiya, she didn't care that not long ago he was molesting her (BTW, I wonder what would Ial do if he had seen it). I laughed though when a servant said that Daimiya tried to save the Queen. All he did was making a disapproving gesture and cursing the Duke.
What's interesting, I was surprised by Kirik's actions again. I'm liking this fellow more and more. At first he seemed to be the last son of a beach with a tragic past (read: corny villain) but it turned out he's not so one-dimensional after all. That's another thing I love Erin for. There is no definite division to black and white. Here some charcters do bad things for good reasons (Soyon comes to my mind but also what Erin did) and good things for bad reasons (almost everything Daimiya does). But going back to Kirik, thanks to his intervention Erin escaped Daimiya's interrogation, he also reminded Erin about Lilan. I'm maybe seeing things but it looks to me that Erin became someone morethan just a colleague from work. I didn't understand what he said at the end, "It's not fit for her to see me" makes no sense to me (maybe someone that knows Japanese could clear things up, I would appreaciate it).

As for Ial x Erin, I will comment on this maybe later.
Oct 24, 2009 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
hmm it seems the saga has come full circle. it was only a matter of time they confronted the whole issue of using touda and oujo in war as well as the matter of how they are raised and controlled. once the truth comes out it seems things will go out of control.
Oct 24, 2009 10:48 PM

Feb 2009
Oh blaming the Seizans is BULL!!! What can they possibly do against an army of touda!
Anyway Erin being seen with Ial might be trouble later. With that guy spying on them this will be very bad.
Nov 1, 2009 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
Very good episode. I never considered Ial and Erin as a couple until this episode. It was a little heavy handed, but oh well, they were greatly connected with concern for one another. I still wish she would have felt the consequences more heavily though, since Erin is the type to place a lot of blame on herself for her failures.
Nov 1, 2009 7:13 PM

Apr 2009
What Erin was playing on her harp for the wounded is my favorite melody in the series. Does anybody know a name attached to that particular song?
Nov 1, 2009 7:38 PM

Nov 2008
vucubcaquix said:
What Erin was playing on her harp for the wounded is my favorite melody in the series. Does anybody know a name attached to that particular song?

"Yoake No Tori" or "Dawn of the bird", ep 10
Nov 1, 2009 7:47 PM

Apr 2009
aoikishu said:
vucubcaquix said:

"Yoake No Tori" or "Dawn of the bird", ep 10

Oh man, thank you so much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdN9zIwZu0
Nov 1, 2009 10:43 PM

Jan 2008
magentaanbu said:
Yeah, that was quite nice.
Mar 12, 2010 4:10 PM

Jul 2008
Ok, I really dislike Damiya, now.

The scene with Iaru watching Erin play her harp as the pink flower petals were falling was absolutely beautiful~ ♥ Though I still can't believe he didn't sense someone eavesdropping. lol

I'm really glad that Erin didn't fall into deep depression or kill herself over her action. If she didn't interfere who knows how bad it could have gotten for the Sehzan. Fight on, Erin!
Apr 14, 2010 4:12 AM

Mar 2007
I would have liked this episode more if they didn't reuse the same four shots in the scene between Iaru and Erin over and over and over and over till I felt like barfing.
Sep 11, 2011 6:35 PM

Sep 2008
aero said:
magentaanbu said:
Yeah, that was quite nice.

I third that. Definitely very nice, heh heh.

Anyway, despite it being sort of a "clean up" episode after the insanity of the previous one, I really liked it. I'm glad that, well, although Erin is still suffering from unpleasant memories of the event, she isn't getting too down on herself. Probably in part because of Ial. I can see her laying blame on herself and the like in the future, though. As someone else said, it seems to be in her character to do that.
Sep 13, 2011 10:26 AM

Jun 2007
What's bothersome about Damiya's scheming is how blatantly obvious it has been made that he's the baddie intent on leading his nation toward civil war, for his own purposes. The political side has been near enough ignored, and Erin's animal slice-of-life has taken up FAR too much time, in comparison... yet, even before the river ambush fiasco and his meetings with his spy at Kazlam, I'd already managed to connect the dots. I'm unsure if this is down to the source material being too simple or the adaptation having been dumbed down for the younglings, but I'm not truly invested in the nation's internal strife as a consequence.

The queen and her daughter are pampered, clueless idiots. It's irritating just watching them. No wonder the country is such a mess when the rulers don't know anything about their own land. By the end, since Damiya's clearly a self-centered, manipulating dick, I hope Shunan takes command of the country; unifying it. The culture of protecting nobles and revering gold-eyed people needs to end or the problems will only continue, no matter how else the series is concluded.

As for episode 40: I liked Erin and Ial's one-on-one time. They needed to sit down and talk instead of occasionally bumping into each other, with no real breakthrough in their relationship. The series isn't one where romance has any room (lol worthy aerial mating sequences aside), and this adaptation ending halfway through the story means there won't be any human mating sessions, in all probability, but it was still nice to see them connect. I'd LOVE to see Ial open his heart up and for Erin to lust after something other than animals.

The final ten episodes should prove to be far more intense than the aimlessness what came before. Now the political unrest has peaked / actually gone beyond speculation, so - all the way up to the end - there shouldn't be any more room for "My father said women should only stay in the kitchen. WAAAA!!!!" filler, or "Let's play ball, birdy-wolf!" yawns.
Jun 8, 2012 1:23 PM

May 2010
noteDhero said:
I never considered Ial and Erin as a couple until this episode

I wouldn't either. I mean Ial is probably like 10 years old than her
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 10, 2012 10:38 PM

Apr 2011
magentaanbu said:
NOOO! My Erin is too young! She only 10 years old!

lol, man what a time skip..
Confucius said:
noteDhero said:
I never considered Ial and Erin as a couple until this episode

I wouldn't either. I mean Ial is probably like 10 years old than her
I had doubts, because of the age differences, but this episode was gold.
Mar 1, 2013 9:51 PM

Jul 2011
Iaru! You! <3

I've read another work of the authors (translated). Her writing is relatively simple, so I don't think the series is especially being dumbed down.

That teacher will definitely side with Erin. Look at his hesitation.
Feb 19, 2014 1:10 AM

Apr 2012
romance is in the air :D!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just hope irau stays alive! D: Really like how Irau is opening up to Erin and how she is reciprocating

Mar 24, 2014 2:46 PM

May 2012
Damn I really hope Ial won't be executed and well to be honest they'd make a nice couple and I'd actually like to see some romance development between those two!
Jun 23, 2014 9:57 PM

Aug 2013
OTP! Yay :D

I hope Ial doesn't get punished though. It's not like he can do anything against an army of Touda.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 11, 2014 8:37 AM

Aug 2014
Blaming everything on Ial and Sezan is stupid. Ial should just say "I'm sorry I'm not god"

Don't forget, Kiriku is also a warrior and he's probably as good as Ial. That's why he can eavesdrop without being detected ^^
Oct 17, 2014 6:10 AM

Nov 2009
It's funny that the nobles are blaming Ial . . . I mean why didn't they know that a huge mass of Touda were in there territory? That seems questionable as well. Poor duke gets blamed without second thought. I was hoping there would be no more sad bits after Jone died but I'm guessing that after showing off that she could fly Lilan, Erin is in for more sadness.
Feb 11, 2015 7:52 AM
Aug 2014
Kiriku was rather one note when he was introduced and even though he hasn't featured much the show has fleshed him out rather well. You can see he's conflicted about which side to take.
Jul 6, 2015 12:06 AM

Jul 2008
I think Erin's consequences are coming next episode. She's about to get dragged fully into this mess.
Oct 13, 2015 2:24 PM

Jun 2015
Man that Kiriku sure spent hours listening to them without being noticed
Mar 30, 2016 2:36 AM
May 2010
To those going on about how he must have felt like a ninja, they were talking in the same room, as everyone else that was injured. So as much as he likes to think he was a Ninja, I'm sure everyone else also in that room also heard their conversation...
Nov 18, 2016 7:06 PM

Jul 2009
Interesting conversation between Ia-lu and Erin. Not as fun as the previous episode but still pretty good.
Dec 17, 2016 12:21 AM

Feb 2016
I'm beginning to like this show, I know it has a lot of flaws like others have pointed out and I myself have observed. It's a show with so much promise and I'm not the picky type.

The core of it is quite interesting, can you honestly name something remotely similar to this show in anime? If so, please tell me!

There is a heck of a lot of bias involved, if there was a mal discussion on TLAB for example, people would be gushing with positivity because they don't want to have their views challenged. But to be frank, TLAB is equally guilty of using predictable tropes, plot conveniences, childish humour and lethargic filler episodes.

And I thought naruto was the standalone offender of flashbacks, that is until I watched Kemono no Souja Erin.
Cloud_IllusionsDec 17, 2016 12:26 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 23, 2018 5:08 PM

Sep 2011
Another great episode, it was even better! There were so many Ial x Erin moments too!

All this time I've been looking forward to see Erin being dragged into the conspiracy, because I thought, and still believe, that she would be able to somehow bring a positive change, but now that it happened, and it was so brutal, I'm kind of sad. Erin is a peaceful person, and she would never hurt another if she could help, Lilan is also mild by her side, but now they are stained by war. There was so much destruction and death in that aftermath, I'm sure that seeing Lilan's fur stained with blood was also really painful. But Erin and the others of Kazalm did their best to help the wounded, and she was really worried about Ial too! The last she saw of him, he was about to be bitten by a Touda, so for a moment she even feared for his life, but thankfully she found him soon. But he refused to be treated before his men even though he was poisoned, he's really a great leader, he was only thinking about their well-being. But it made Erin wonder about his way of life, so bound by fighting, raised for it, and seemingly unable to be free. Then since there was no antidote there, she was to meet him again back in the estate, but he told her to go by horse, being sharp he realized the fascination of Damiya, and the danger it entails, although I don't think it will help much at this point, I don't see the harm in being careful.

As soon as Erin got to the estate she learned that Ial was being blamed for what happend. It's infuriating, there's nothing worse than people that are safe behind their desks, blaming people for something out of their control even though they did their best, they just wanted to blame someone as if it was going to help. How hard was it for Ial to hear those fools, that can't and won't do anything, complaining when his men died or are terribly wounded for doing their job in the best way they possible could? He didn't even try to say anything because he knew it would be for naught. He only remembered Hagal's words: "As long as those who do not try to see reality for what it is control this country, we'll eventually become deficient at protecting the Queen."

Those poor soldiers too, they were wounded, and delirious. But it was beautiful, and wonderful the way Erin was able to soothe their hearts with her harp, an harp she got from Ial. She didn't just treat their bodies, but also their soul, she is too pure for this world, Ial was mesmerized by her playing figure. When he finally got to her I was so happy, I've been waiting for this scene since the preview from the last episode, I knew they would find comfort in each other. But Erin was upset that he didn't seem to care about being treated, and questioned him, if he didn't care about his arm, or if he would willingly cast away what's precious to him, and stuff. Oh, and Ial didn't blame or judge her, he was just grateful because it was thanks to her that him and his men were still alive. And though he said that people thought she was using "magic" to control the beast, he also said that he wouldn't mind even if it was something like this because it was Erin, and he knows her nature. And this kind of acceptance really touched her, I love the expressions in this anime, they were so close to each other here too. But when Ial said that his life might not last too long, I got worried with the unfair punishment they will try to cast upon him. As he shared his worries, I'm sure he was only comfortable enough to do his with her, about the state of the country, that is like a trunk infested by termites, he mentioned the Wajyaku and the Holon and it reminded Erin that those Touda weren't from the Grand Duke, which she told him, and in turn became the reason she ended up confiding her whole life history to him. Where she came from, the gruesome way her mother was executed, and everything else. The only problem is that Kiriku was listening to it too, but who knows? It might end up being good because he seems to be starting to feel something for her, and it will become a weakness. lol

But Ial and Erin are now closer than ever, and I love it! I'm just as worried as Ial about Erin being dragged into war though.
May 29, 2019 7:10 AM

Oct 2012
I feel sorry for Sezans
They tried their best when they failed, they're mocked, insulted like they've done absolutely nothing to save the Queen
I can understand why some betrayed them
In fact I can't understand why not a lot betrayed these people
Sezans deserved better :(

Aww those two are bonding together, I like it
Also I forgot after 8 years Ial looks the same xD
"Signature removed"
Jul 21, 2019 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
Ial couldn't use his heightened senses from being a Sezan to notice Kiriku eavesdropping?

It's clear Damiya planned the Touda attack to kill the queen and sow discord and/or seize power for himself. Everyone would think the Grand Duke did it considering the growing tensions after all. Good thing Erin is there.

I wonder if Kiriku will have a change of heart and not do Damiya's bidding. I wonder what Damiya has promised Kiriku in exchange for his cooperation. It probably has something to do with Kiriku's murdered sister.

Anyway, I hope that dickhead Damiya gets what's coming to him.

I'm disappointed that the focus between Shunan and Ngan has gone away. It would have been much better if they had a larger role in the plot.

I think the Queen will die to ensue discord and violence among the factions and that will lead to a climax in the next 10 episodes.

Nov 9, 2019 4:53 AM

Oct 2015
Damiya and Kiriku didn't foresee Erin's past on their plans, that is why they may be hindered.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Feb 2014
I hope Ial's not the only one who is told that the touda that attacked the ships weren't from the grand duke's quarter...that would be a really messy mixup >.<

Damiya is REALLY tryna get people to think Erin uses some voodoo magic shit or something pretending that all his pain magically went away right after she came over...ugh we do not stan racism!!!!! >:(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2021 2:47 PM

Feb 2020
Looks like things are getting very interesting ! But I feel bad for Erin, I wanted her to reconsider her view on Oojuus, but not this way... And I wonder how her relationship with Lilan will evolve now. I can't imagine them being separated, but at the same time it is hard to believe Erin will once again go back to blind naivety, not after what happened and how it impacted her.
Mar 14, 2022 2:50 PM

Jan 2010
The sentiments a country's citizens hold are based on their rules, huh? I have no idea how Ryoza managed to sustain itself with conflicting desires of peace and warmongering in its government. Then again, I suppose stranger things have happened in the world.
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Jan 2021
“As long as those who do not try to see reality for what it is control this country, we’ll eventually become deficient at protecting the queen.” Wise words that somewhat reflect on our present day reality. Honestly, this episode was chock full of good quotes: “The good nature of both magic and physical strength depends on those who wield it”
Was nice to finally get everything out in the open between Ial and Erin. The slow pace that they’ve been growing their relationship, culminating in this sort of catharsis has been well wrought. What their conversation made me extra aware of is that Erin is special in this instance because she is neither Wajyaku nor Holon, but has lived in both societies. Understanding and learning from both. She is primed to unite or to teach people to unite.
I’m also happy that each of them have a sort of confidant in the other as we head ever closer to our final arc; an arc that I’m expecting will bring them even closer together. I loved the harp scene. In a certain way with Ial stumbling upon it, it felt like a reflection of the past when Erin first heard that song. Plus, it’s that harp which casts aside the overarching shadow of the episode for the warm colors of sunset. Was beautiful.
Finally, I think that Ial referring to Lilan as “your beast-lord” is the first time that has happened in relation to Erin. Usually it’s as an it or as a possession of the queen. I’d bet many people feel that way now, and doesn’t bode well...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 38 Discussion

Beave - Oct 4, 2009

36 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.