Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 28, 2015 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
I cried, those 6 OVA really touched me, I feel so sad for Bernie who lost his life for nothing.. :'(

poor Al, too. :(
Feb 9, 2016 1:12 AM

Nov 2012
That was great!! Sucks that Bernie died but 99.999% of us knew he was going to die once he decided to go back to the colony. The insane thing is if Bernie simply left the colony would have been fine, I didn't expect the Zeon fleet to be found and dealt with totally off screen .

I think Bernie is a great character because he humanizes Zeon. Just think if Al never met Bernie he would have been spouting that same drivel and believe everyone from Zeon are simply evil murderers. I think if anything the whole incident make Al appreciate life a lot more and not take it for granted like all his school friends were and he was at the beginning.

Its really sad but interesting Al chose not to tell the girl that she killed Bernie. I mean I guess it would have risen a shitstorm possibly if it was found out Al was connected to the Zeon incidents , but what Al probably had in mind was not burndening Chris with that information she killed Al.

Yeah his friends at the end look like some idiots saying that stuff about real bullets and whatnot. I think the author put that moment there to show how much Al learned from the incidents and show how ignorant the civilians were of it, and I think in an even broader view that moment is there to show a lot of people really don't know horror of war until they experience it themselves.
Mar 30, 2016 2:02 AM

Dec 2015
Good episode, everything I was expecting happened (in a good way). A little downside was the opening song used on the last days diaporama: the music was too "happy" or "light" knowing what the preparations were for.
The explanation for Berny choosing to fight over the best possible choice (giving himself to the authorities) was... very bad, but at least the possibility wasn't ignored.
The last scene was the perfect occasion to show Alfred's growth, and it made his friends opinion sound even more horrible than when he shared the same)
5/5

Overall, 8/10. I really want to give this a 9 but the few illogical shortcuts (see above + noone never retrieves the Zaku nor the GMs) prevent me to do so.

After "The 8th MS team", I thought 0079 being emotional was only an accident, I am glad I was wrong. (I mean in the original timeline, other worlds felt mostly "emotionless")
Now, on to the two bonus chapters of The Origin (0082) and 0083. Then... Zeta !

@Jagged_85 I can't check if you know it, but I'll point Ima soku ni iru boku to you.

May , 2017
SakurasouBusters said:

Bernard grew on me so much throughout and its a damn shame his death meant nothing in the end!

@SakurasouBusters Glad you liked it this much. And sorry that Chris wasn't a main character. ^^ (at least, she got a great voice thanks to Hayashibara)

April 5, 2020
@St0rmblade Excellent choice as a 0079 follow-up. Glad you loved it. But you might have spoiled yourself by watching the most emotionally effective parts of the UC one after the other (although some will still have a few powerful moments).

Indeed, Gundam had the chance to get two of the best charadesigners. If you like Mikimoto's work, be sure to check his few promotional arts for 0079 and later parts. He also worked on Kotetsujô no Kabaneri (initial charadesign only, sadly), Orguss and, as you know, the original Macross (the beautiful film being the only case where his designs were constantly faithfully animated).

Anyway, if you're going on with Zeta now, be strong !

PS: you seem to have the same problem as me with post-scriptum XD

PPS: oh, have a good time with Daichi's Ima soku ni iru boku. (be warned that unlike "regular" and anime consuming peoples in the real world who usually love it, internet peoples highly dislike it, the hero being an "annoying" "happy" kid and all the characters being "utterly stupid")
Rei_IIIApr 5, 2020 12:12 AM
May 8, 2016 1:34 PM

Apr 2015
this ova was so much better than the triology of gundam.

The development of the characters was awesome

I never imagined that Al would suffer so much. But i guess he learned a leasson about what a war really is.

Bernie's death was already expected but i had a bit of hope that maybe he could have a happy ending. He was a nice guy that was used as a tool to kill the gundam
Jul 26, 2016 8:39 AM

May 2012
Pretty much an expected ending, I hoped for something more but still a very lovely ending for this series! I personally wasn't a too huge fan of the ignorance of the brat but it did give a general nice comparison between the Federation and The Zeon!

All in all I'm looking forward to see what the next series in this franchise will have to offer!
Nov 14, 2016 7:22 AM

Jun 2015
Depressing ending ;_;
Nov 16, 2016 6:50 PM
Jul 2011
I just finished watching this series yesterday. I underestimated it at first, but ended up being amazed by it. The character development was excellent throughout the series. And the ending was tear-jerking and heart-wrenching. Not only is it the best Gundam show I've seen, but one of the best war-themed anime I've seen. This show is criminally underrated, and deserves a much higher score.
Jagged_85Nov 16, 2016 8:21 PM
Apr 30, 2017 5:48 AM
Dec 2014
^well I'll give it a 10/10

It's been 70 years for my country (NATO "peace" operations not counting) so we're due for one I guess. There will always be another war so cheer up Alfred!
May 18, 2017 10:59 AM

Aug 2016
I'll be honest i was very sceptical while watching this anime, seeing all those 9's and 10"s, after watching 5 episodes i still diden't get it, sure at that moment i tought it was good but couden't see what was special about this anime. Until episode 6 attacked and changed eveything. Seeing Bernie die made me realise how much i actually loved to see him with Al, i legit felt realy sad seeing him die.

The ending was also really powerful! Al's friends being exited for the next war, hoping it will be bigger and flashier, after Al just learned what war is.

Overall i'm amazed at what this anime has accomplished in only 6 episodes, it has even touched me on a emotional level.

9/10
Jun 19, 2017 12:30 PM

Jun 2013
Holy hell that was so depressing!
Albert grew on me so much throughout and its a damn shame his death meant nothing in the end!
Also, Though his character annoyed me at times, it seriously broke my heart seeing how much Al Changed from the sweet and happy go lucky kid to someone who almost looks empty.

My only main problem with this series is that though i loved her character, Chris, when compared to the other two MC'S, was severely lacking in Both Screen Time and Character Development.

Overall : 9/10
Jun 19, 2017 2:11 PM

Jun 2013
Rei366 said:
Good episode, everything I was expecting happened (in a good way). A little downside was the opening song used on the last days diaporama: the music was too "happy" or "light" knowing what the preparations were for.
The explanation for Berny choosing to fight over the best possible choice (giving himself to the authorities) was... very bad, but at least the possibility wasn't ignored.
The last scene was the perfect occasion to show Alfred's growth, and it made his friends opinion sound even more horrible than when he shared the same)
5/5

Overall, 8/10. I really want to give this a 9 but the few illogical shortcuts (see above + noone never retrieves the Zaku nor the GMs) prevent me to do so.

After "The 8th MS team", I thought 0079 being emotional was only an accident, I am glad I was wrong. (I mean in the original timeline, other worlds felt mostly "emotionless")
Now, the two bonus chapters of The Origin (0082) and 0083. Then... Zeta !

@Jagged_85 I can't check if you know it, but I'll point Ima soku ni iru boku to you.

SakurasouBusters said:

Bernard grew on me so much throughout and its a damn shame his death meant nothing in the end!

@SakurasouBusters Glad you liked it this much. And sorry that Chris wasn't a main character. ^^ (at least, she got a great voice)

It was fantastic! And again, i did like her character, just wish she had been more developed.
Oct 19, 2017 11:24 PM

Dec 2012
lol at the wall saying "Fuck you"
LMAO Al killed frogs for fun.
Barnard vs Chris.
Bernard got hurt.
Chris got hurt.
Bernard!!!!
Dat message.
January 0080.
Chris is leaving for Earth.
Dat kiss.
Al starts crying.
A happy new year.

And that was the end. Bernard dying made me sad.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 4, 2018 10:34 AM

Jun 2015
I'm not big into the Gundam franchise but I really loved everything coming from this one. Glad I finally gave it a chance.
Mar 18, 2018 2:41 PM

Oct 2015
Bernie died from a useless fight, how sad man. What's more sad is that Chris will never know she killed him, let alone he was an enemy spy. As for Al it would've nice if the story continued with him in a time skip, but I guess it ends there.

I'm really loving these mobile suits gundams, I think I will watch more of them. Although this one never focused on the Gundam machine, but more on the characters and less also on the war. Nonetheless I still enjoyed this one and hope to see the ones better than this.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 7, 2018 4:33 PM
Jul 2017
DonKangolJones said:
I've clearly underestimated this OVA. Watched half of it a long time ago on TV and never finished. I'm very glad I've corrected that mistake now.

Probably because the first half of the series was almost forgettable. It's about the same as I watched it sometime ago. But the last half was better than I remember it.

Solid ending, and I get why people like the series. Al was just a kid, but played a significant part.
May 1, 2018 3:06 AM

Jun 2016
I'm.. I'm almost struggling for a reason to *not* give this a 10/10 (The background score could have been better.. maybe?). The ending was beautiful. Al crying almost had me break down. :'(

Such a gem of a series, I'm glad I got to it.
Aug 25, 2018 3:05 AM

Dec 2009
Arachnophobic said:
I'm.. I'm almost struggling for a reason to *not* give this a 10/10 (The background score could have been better.. maybe?). The ending was beautiful. Al crying almost had me break down. :'(

Such a gem of a series, I'm glad I got to it.
I only have one hangup with the series, though I still gave it a 9 - Bernie had no business being on that main mission.

You see, since Bernie got shot down and was later extracted from that colony, Zeon (assuming minimum levels of leadership competency) would not assign him to an undercover mission in that same area - because, you know, even if he didn't tell anyone he met Alfred, they can't be 100% certain that he wasnt already compromised. He would've been a huge liability to that undercover operation. But hey we needed a show, and it's one of the best gundam series I've seen to date, so it's all whatevs
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Aug 27, 2018 9:49 PM

Mar 2016
An emotional dud. While I can appreciate the unique story and the direction, it feels like it could have been told a number of different ways and each of those would have more feeling than what we actually get. The problem really lies in Al's character. I think he's supposed to be tragically naive, but all I see is willful, almost coldblooded ignorance and stupidity. If you want to take it one step further, Al is a literal sociopath. Bernie is an unfortunate character, but it was hard for me to feel for him. Chris isn't really a character as much as she is a force that Al and Bernie don't even realize they're up against. Perhaps the most powerful part is that Chris has no idea that she's shattered Al's life and ended Bernie's, just as nobody else knows that Al is partly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocents. Maybe if Al wasn't so hands on with the mission to the sabotage the Gundam, I wouldn't have such a problem with the story.

The OVA does what a lot of Gundam seems to do, show the horror and tragedy of meaningless battles that cannot be avoided because of the stubbornness of human will and circumstance. But in my opinion this only succeeds in theory, and when playing out on screen didn't grab me the way I think it was supposed to.

syncrogazerAug 29, 2018 9:06 AM
Jan 16, 2019 5:04 AM

Nov 2011
Best Gundam ever, every seconds of it are just great ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 15, 2019 5:13 PM

Jul 2016
Blasted through this last Sunday after finishing Gundam Unicorn. I originally gave this a 9, but had not seen this show in several years.. and holy fuck.. it's getting a 10!

Amazing animation, great dub, and great pacing of a story that shows the true horrors of war. It was nice to watch a Gundam show and not have to recycle my memory of past story lines to make a show more enjoyable. This stand alone Gundam show is just the best!
Jun 13, 2019 8:22 PM

Dec 2010
I could get why people like this but its a bit overrated not the best or masterpiece but interesting just not my cup of tea.
Sep 8, 2019 5:11 PM

Apr 2014
just got done watching and wow this was really bitter sweet especially the ending

this series of gundam was the saddest one ive seen so far

but was still good

was my first time watching as im now finally being able to watch all the gundam series i havent seen yet

but my god was this bitter sweet, really sad, yet a good overall watch
"one step at a time"
Sep 24, 2019 9:50 PM

Jun 2014
Pretty good Gundam side story. I thought this ova would be about love story of Chris and Bernie. (Im glad they didn't go with that story)
But this was actually about Al and Bernie's bond. Great character development to both of them.
Not the best Gundam but recommendable to someone who wants to start the Gundam franchise. The story wasn't so complicated to follow although kinda predictable.

blessofcurseSep 24, 2019 10:02 PM
Jan 29, 2020 12:55 PM

Nov 2016
Bernie's death perfectly exemplified the futility of people dying in war. Shit hit hard af and I feel incredibly sorry for Al.

Easily my favorite Gundam so far, the others had too many aspects I didn't really care for and this one managed to tell such a powerful story within only 6 episodes. Production was also great for this one.

8.5/10 but I will go with a 9

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2020 5:46 PM

Aug 2017
War in the pocket turned out to be an incredible OVA. From touching and melancholic OPs and EDs, to memorable characters, to a great anti-war message. I want to hope that most Gundam franchise is as good, but I understand that it probably isn't (haven't watched anything except this OVA and the original movie trilogy yet). It's just practically impossible for a franchise this large to be consistently good. Or rather, it's precisely because of the fact that it grew so much that the average quality dropped...probably, it's my guess overall. I still hope for gems like 0080.

On to the episode now...Pretty much everyting was done right, even tiny details. There's even a shot of Bernie and Al where there's a poster saying "Army saves the colony" in the background... That's a gruesome lie :-[
Bernie's death is tragic, his last message is tragic, Al's farewell with Chris is tragic. She killed a guy she liked without even knowing it. Same for Bernie. And even Al didn't know that Chris was a pilot until it was too late. I cried a lot in the latter half of the episode, it was so heartbreaking, even if I was expecting for someone to die. Also the fact that the Zeon fleet got partially destroyed and then surrendered hits harded because it's not shown, imo. It's almost like a fatal external factor that dramatically changes everyone's fate. And boy was the ending cruel. "Don't worry, there will be a next war soon!". These kids never learn, do they? Overall, 9/10, can't rate higher due to a few minor complaints I have explained in previous threads.

P.S. Sad that Fumihiko Takayama didn't direct any more Gundam shows. Though I like that Haruhiko Mikimoto was the character designer, he also worked on Gunbuster and Macross (which I really want to see). Instantly recognizable, memorable style.

P.P.S. I'm still unsure how I feel about the music during the final fight. Specifically when it changed to a somewhat upbeat track (or was it just a part of the track that was upbeat?). I also have a similar feeling about Gundam being such a huge franchise with millions of gunplas selling. Here we have a strong anti-war OVA, presented as part of the franchise that flourishes by selling toys of war machines.

P.P.P.S. Kouji Tsujitani, Bernie's seiyuu, died on October 17, 2018 :'[

------------------------------------

@Rei_III I'm not sure if I'll be going with Zeta now, I feel like watching the prequels first is better to have a more firm understanding of characters and their motivations. At least that's my reasoning to start watching 0083 as a next major entry in the franchise (though I'll be going with another spin-off, 08th MS team, first). Maybe that's bad reasoning though, after all 0083 was produced later than Zeta and might unintentionally spoil things, I don't know.

UPD: Forgot to mention, but I like how Gundam used an actual scientific proposal for space colonies - O'Neill Cylinders. Nice detail.
St0rmbladeApr 5, 2020 4:27 AM
Sep 26, 2020 11:28 AM

Nov 2019
wow that was amazing. *tear*

this was a really nice story and i'm glad i watched. RIP Bernie,sayonara Chris & Al
oh i feel so emotional right now....good job gundam i am now very much invested into your world....

oh and that ed hit hard listening to it for that last time, great ost also Bernie and Al's relationship was really cool and amazing
huh, this was bitter sweet
*tears*
hikky_misakiSep 26, 2020 11:31 AM
Sep 28, 2020 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Ain't no shit make me cry like this shit do :'(

Bernie was one of the most believable characters, like he was more than an ideological perspective like some of the characters in the series. It was the good choice to make him die and not Chris though, for sure.

Sadly, this one didn't have the best tactics like 08th MS or anything, but this was a great show, just not something I'd use as an introduction to Gundam or mecha stuff though.

Wondering if Stardust and Zeta are gonna be good too.
Dec 24, 2020 8:07 PM
May 2020
Is the music supposed to contrast with all the incredibly bleak lines (ie the sunniest synth tune ever when the last line of the movie is kids talking about war like its a sport) or is the soundtrack just incredibly generic 80's music? If it's the former this is one of the greatest things ever put to cell, if the latter it's still successfully pessimistic in the rest of the OVA (as a war story should be). 8/10
Dec 27, 2020 12:25 AM

Aug 2017
Such a tragic ending. Can't believe Bernie dies needlessly and Chris will never know the truth. And we never learn Al how the kid turns out after personally witnesses Bernie's death. The ending is much better than the rest of the OVA if u ask me. Except for some plot conveniences, it was a very good OVA. 8/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 2, 2021 1:54 AM

Jun 2016
Just done rewatching War in the Pocket for the 5th time. It has become an annual tradition of mine.
Huge thanks to @BobSamurai for introducing me to this beautiful anime. Happy new year. Bob :)

Mar 4, 2021 4:13 PM
Aug 2018
entertaining and engaging story. the animation is ... almost 31 years ago, it's a bit hard to see for someone who is used to today's anime but I still liked it a lot.
Aug 30, 2021 10:28 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I know it doesn't need a sequel, but it would be nice to see a grown-up Al. I never expected a child character to be this good, but here we are. Sucks that Bernie died and Christina will have to live without knowing she killed him (she's better than 90% of female characters in gundam btw), but at least there's another colony that get nuked to kingdom come.
Nov 9, 2021 10:55 AM
Apr 2012
Amazing story and character writing, great soundtrack and beautiful animation. There's about nothing that I would change about it and the ending lines were absolutely perfect.

I'm in awe that Gundam can be like that. It was powerful. 10/10
Nov 14, 2021 2:26 PM

Jul 2020
Damn what a ending. Pretty good OVA I'd take this over MSG the Origin. And man the ost and art is beautiful
Jan 23, 2022 5:46 PM

Jan 2017
Even with colour in the ED, I don't know who the people shown are supposed to be.
Some of the shots look like Bernie's past or childhood, then there's the last shot of the schoolkids holding up the New Year sign, but I can't figure out the other people.
Feb 12, 2022 7:21 PM

Aug 2016
pretty overrated like most of Gundam, but I give it credit for trying something different and at least its not a snorefest like zeta or wing.
:v
Apr 15, 2022 7:46 PM

Oct 2010
It's raining TT.TT
「Self Aware Cringy Weeb」
Jun 7, 2022 5:05 AM
Oct 2020
One of the most emotional endings i've ever seen. Masterpiece!
Feb 8, 2023 4:34 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
Wow. Just wow. As much as Gundam's creators have stressed that its message is anti-war, I've never seen it realized as powerfully as in War in the Pocket.

Rest in peace, to all the Bernie Wisemans of our world.
Beep boop
Feb 22, 2023 10:50 AM

Aug 2011
Perhaps the most harrowing aspect of this ending is the irony in Bernie and Chris' reasoning to fight. They would rather fight than to escape and risk the possibility of ending up alone if their beloved ones died. And so they fight, and so Bernie died, and Chris is still sent off to the next frontline. And Al, representing not an individual but the collective that Bernie and Chris fight to protect, is the one who ends up all alone. Deprived of their warmth and love. Hurt and scarred for life.
StrawFeb 22, 2023 10:57 AM
Jun 13, 2023 1:22 AM
Jun 2019
Kept it together until Al started crying ;(
Jun 21, 2023 9:17 AM

Mar 2022
That was very depressing. Poor Alfred
Aug 12, 2023 5:38 AM

Jul 2017
i'm crying so much, wonderful ending.
10/10
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Aug 25, 2023 11:29 PM
Feb 2023
I don't want to eat hamburgers anymore 
Sep 9, 2023 4:14 PM
Aug 2018
One of the most emotionally captivating episodes of anime ever. The drama of the show comes to an explosive conclusion. Al knows the seriousness of the war by the end of everything. It's just a great anime all in all.
Oct 19, 2023 4:06 AM

May 2021
The childish perspective of the show didn't help to take it seriously, it just felt bland , Hadashi no Gen is far better conveying anti-war themes with a young protagonist,several plot holes had to be ignored for the sake of continuity, anyways 3/10.
-Xenophon-Oct 19, 2023 4:10 AM
Oct 23, 2023 12:39 PM
Oct 2023
This was great. I really loved the character focus and the POV of a child during wartime, as weirdly biased as that child steadfastly remained.

I can definitely see why this one is so high regarded.

Onward to 0083.
Nov 26, 2023 11:15 PM
Jun 2021
Ngl i expected a nuke to kill them all the ending. Anyways damm im sad that bernie died like he was such a good charcter and his brotherly bond with al was so Wholesome ill miss his charcter. Anyways i feel so bad that bernei did that for nothing since the nuke got that confiscated already. i also thought christina would die in that battle but that dint happen. The chrismas vibes were nice and i really likeal as a protag he was such a breath of fresh air compared to our previpos ones and i feel so bad he lost bernei but at least his parents are both still alive and both made up well onto the next installment of gundam
Nov 26, 2023 11:30 PM
Jun 2021
Bro i just found out the VOICE ACTOR OF KAZEHAYA VOICED AL LIKE HUH JESUS THAT WAS SO UNEXPECTED THAT AL WAS VOICED BY AN ACTUAL CHILD
Dec 20, 2023 4:21 AM

Oct 2020
Rewatching this every christmas to get sad.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket Episode 2 Discussion

Veethorn - Dec 9, 2009

37 by saberriderninja »»
Jan 22, 2:15 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - Dec 9, 2009

25 by Lol1268 »»
Nov 26, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket Episode 4 Discussion

Veethorn - Dec 9, 2009

26 by Lol1268 »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:23 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Dec 9, 2009

36 by Lol1268 »»
Nov 18, 2023 8:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket Episode 3 Discussion

Alas86 - Aug 4, 2010

34 by HadToDoIt »»
Oct 23, 2023 10:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.