Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2014 7:28 AM

Feb 2014
Fai said:
stealthdasher said:
ollythirteen said:
stealthdasher said:
The Sidonia No Kishi manga was released before Shingeki No Kyojin though.

Hey, I'll take Spear Weilding Mecha over gas-powered skipping ropes and meat cleavers as weapons (and the stupid characters that weidl them) any day, but that's just me...

Well said sir.

I couldn't agree more.

It saddens be that people are overlooking this beast of an anime due to the fact that the brilliant manga it's based off is not that popular and that they are not used to the style of animation.

You know what's depressing? Incesty generic shounen/romance bullshit Mahouka having a higher rating than this.

I dunno about you but I reckon Mahouka and Sidonia are two of the best anime of this season.

This show would be just as generic as Mahouka by your standards. Not the first time we've seen Mecha vs Aliens. That still doesn't stop Sidonia from being a great manga and anime does it?

I think this has a lower rating than Mahouka despite having the stronger first episode because people are just not use to the CGI and seem to be turned off by it.
AzlanApr 11, 2014 7:48 AM
Apr 11, 2014 7:29 AM

Dec 2013
the setting, plot, art, sound and cinematography all really impressed me, like, blew my expectations out of the water, but man is the actual animation stupidly stiff. its incredibly distracting. i'm still pretty excited to continue watching the show, but that one point sorta drags the whole thing down a bit.

i don't understand why cg anime producers haven't figured out how to make 3d models move fluidly without looking like animatronic dummies yet. i mean jimmy neutron had a better sense of movement than the majority of cg anime and it came out almost 15 years ago.
Apr 11, 2014 7:37 AM

Dec 2013
stealthdasher said:
Fai said:

You know what's depressing? Incesty generic shounen/romance bullshit Mahouka having a higher rating than this.

I dunno about you but I reckon Mahouka, Mushishi, Sidonia and are the best of this season. I think this has a lower score than Mahouka despite having the stronger first episode because people are just not use to CGI.

idk. i really don't think its a matter of people being "used to" CGI, so much as CGI just not being "there" yet. things look beautiful... until they move. when we get anime with well animated CGI i don't think many people will be bothered by it, but as it stands most of the animation its almost objectively bad. i don't know if its a budget thing, or if new technologies like mo-cap might eventually able to fix it but it's definitely not what it should/could be, which is sad because i'm someone whose legitimately excited for the day we get good CGI.
Apr 11, 2014 7:46 AM

Feb 2014
thedryness said:
idk. i really don't think its a matter of people being "used to" CGI, so much as CGI just not being "there" yet. things look beautiful... until they move. when we get anime with well animated CGI i don't think many people will be bothered by it, but as it stands most of the animation its almost objectively bad. i don't know if its a budget thing, or if new technologies like mo-cap might eventually able to fix it but it's definitely not what it should/could be, which is sad because i'm someone whose legitimately excited for the day we get good CGI.

I guess I was expecting a bit better animation considering the studio behind this show is the emmy and annie award winning Polygon Pictures. I'm guessing for Sidonia they had a smaller budget to work with compared to shows like Star Wars: The Clonewars, Tron Uprising and Transformers Prime. However I'm still enjoying the general aesthetic they went with and I think Sidonia has some of the best CG I've ever seen in anime.
Apr 11, 2014 7:51 AM

May 2013
Not used to the animation, but it is good so far.
Apr 11, 2014 7:52 AM
Oct 2010
stealthdasher said:
thedryness said:

I guess I was expecting a bit better animation considering the studio behind this show is the emmy and annie award winning Polygon Pictures. I'm guessing for Sidonia they had a smaller budget to work with compared to shows like Star Wars: The Clonewars, Tron Uprising and Transformers Prime. However I'm still enjoying the general aesthetic they went with and I think Sidonia has some of the best CG I've ever seen in anime.

I don't really have an issue with the mecha being CG (at this point all of them are) my issue is with the characters being CG.. it looks so weird and awkward and you can tell the framerate is shit. I eventually got used to it, but god damn, the scene with him falling into the rice processor didn't help their cause. I'm not sure if they were trying to use that to show how good the CG looked, but it had the opposite effect.
Apr 11, 2014 7:58 AM

Dec 2013
stealthdasher said:
thedryness said:

oh yeah, i totally agree that the general aesthetic for this show is beautiful, like some of the best in recent memory. backgrounds are well designed and drawn. characters and objects are well modeled and rendered. even the the cinematography (framing/camera movements... etc.) is exceptionally good, but the way they way the characters move... not so much.
Apr 11, 2014 8:06 AM

Feb 2014
skudoops said:
I don't really have an issue with the mecha being CG (at this point all of them are) my issue is with the characters being CG.. it looks so weird and awkward and you can tell the framerate is shit. I eventually got used to it, but god damn, the scene with him falling into the rice processor didn't help their cause. I'm not sure if they were trying to use that to show how good the CG looked, but it had the opposite effect.

Yeah I understand what you mean regarding the characters. A while ago I watched a CG anime called Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio and the characters seemed to be a little stiff animation wise however after a few episodes I got used to it. So I guess I'm just used to it you know. I reckon Sidonia is animated a lot better than Arpeggio though but I think that in the end animating anime characters in CG is quite hard and also I doubt it's within the Studio's budget to use technology like Motion Capture.

Maybe if you stick Sidonia out for a few episodes you'll get used to the character animation.
AzlanApr 11, 2014 8:09 AM
Apr 11, 2014 8:13 AM

Dec 2010
Horrible CG there. I wonder if I'll get past 3 episodes.
Apr 11, 2014 8:14 AM

Jul 2007
stealthdasher said:
Fai said:
stealthdasher said:
ollythirteen said:
stealthdasher said:
The Sidonia No Kishi manga was released before Shingeki No Kyojin though.

Hey, I'll take Spear Weilding Mecha over gas-powered skipping ropes and meat cleavers as weapons (and the stupid characters that weidl them) any day, but that's just me...

Well said sir.

I couldn't agree more.

It saddens be that people are overlooking this beast of an anime due to the fact that the brilliant manga it's based off is not that popular and that they are not used to the style of animation.

I dunno about you but I reckon Mahouka and Sidonia are two of the best anime of this season.

This show would be just as generic as Mahouka by your standards. Not the first time we've seen Mecha vs Aliens. That still doesn't stop Sidonia from being a great manga and anime does it?

I think this has a lower rating than Mahouka despite having the stronger first episode because people are just not use to the CGI and seem to be turned off by it.

Sidonia has deep and breath-taking unique architecture, brilliant atmosphere, compelling storytelling, unique approach to characters, out of the line different type of approach towards animation and one of best OSTs in last few years.

Mahouka has....incesty harem highschool of magic with vomit-worthy character designs and even more run-of-the-mill "plot". Sorry, no. It is not winning any awards in terms of creativity or quality and its reminiscent of the WORST of WORST anime shows ever created in last decade( Witch Craft Works , Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Aquarion Evol and Clannad)
Apr 11, 2014 8:23 AM

Dec 2013
this one wasn't on my list for this season, but I read some good reviews about it and decided to watch, I liked the first episode, I found pretty cool that he had trained on a simulator of a previous model, it is very annoying when it occurs that cliché where the main character is born already knowing how to pilot the mecha at high capacity, I was not bothered by CG also. looking forward for the next episodes.
Apr 11, 2014 8:23 AM

Apr 2009
I agree with Fai, do not compare Sidonia with generic stuff like Mahouka.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 11, 2014 8:39 AM
Dec 2013
I liked everything but the animation, the art style is good, the world design is superb, but the animation is abysmal, some times the FPS dropped to single digits and the lips movement was just opening and closing the mouth haha.

Gonna keep with it though, shows potential.
Apr 11, 2014 8:42 AM

Sep 2013
MAHOUKA>>>>>SIDONIA
GET OVER IT, YOU BUTTHURT COMMONERS
Apr 11, 2014 8:45 AM

Dec 2007
Is it just me or whenever there's CG in anime, it lags like a mother fucker. These some of these scenes feel like I'm playing Battlefield 4 on a 2004 model Dell.
Apr 11, 2014 8:50 AM

Aug 2013
This could need time to get used to. Interesting..
Lol a third gender? How does that work?
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Apr 11, 2014 8:53 AM

Feb 2014
Fai said:
stealthdasher said:

Sidonia has deep and breath-taking unique architecture, brilliant atmosphere, compelling storytelling, unique approach to characters, out of the line different type of approach towards animation and one of best OSTs in last few years.

Mahouka has....incesty harem highschool of magic with vomit-worthy character designs and even more run-of-the-mill "plot". Sorry, no. It is not winning any awards in terms of creativity or quality and its reminiscent of the WORST of WORST anime shows ever created in last decade( Witch Craft Works , Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Aquarion Evol and Clannad)

I'm getting anime Elitist vibes from you.

Mahouka is not a harem anime. In fact their is little romance in it. I've read up to Volume 12 of the light novels and there has so far been no incest really. However I think your perspective regarding this depends on your personal ideals regarding incest and the impression you got from the first episode as an anime only viewer.

When I started reading Mahouka I guessed that there was more to it than meets the eye and with that sentiment personally for me I was rewarded with a very enjoyable experience. I find the futuristic world that the author created to be fascinating as it takes on the perspective if Magic was more like an advanced technology rather than a supernatural entity and I also take interest in the detail the author goes into to explain the functionality of the magic and how it is utilised in it's application. To me as I read the novels I found the plot to be written better than in most light novels I've read. As for the anime I don't mind the character designs I mean compared to some other designs I've seen they're quite good actually and I think the animation and pacing is well done.

I would ask you to give Mahouka a chance but I doubt you will and I would like to ask people considering dropping Sidonia and giving it low scores because of the CG to give it a chance as well.

Regarding Sidonia it is quite generic compared to Tsutomu's previos work like Blame. Perhaps to draw in a larger audience as Blame was more of cult series. Despite this I think it has some of the best artwork I've ever seen as well as a pretty interesting story and the anime has done quite a good job to portray this.
AzlanApr 11, 2014 9:18 AM
Apr 11, 2014 9:03 AM

Oct 2012
Really liked this. Definitely going to keep watching. It's set to be my favourite anime of the current season by far.

Will start on the manga soon too.

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
Apr 11, 2014 9:04 AM

Jan 2012
I quite liked the OP :)

But the characters here urgh... so so bad... how can they be so stiff? I feel like I'm watching a cartoon from a decade ago... reminded me of one btw...
And why are there so many light pink haired girls??

Decided to watch this one cause people said it was good but ... guess I'll watch a few more
Apr 11, 2014 9:16 AM

Jul 2007
Lyrisia said:

I just love how clueless some people can be....
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/whatiscloning/

stealthdasher said:

I'm getting anime Elitist vibes from you.

Yes, I have a taste and avoid kitsch, so sue me.

Mahouka is not a harem anime. In fact their is little romance in it. I've read up to Volume 12 of the light novels and there has so far been no incest really. However I think your perspective regarding this depends on your personal ideals regarding incest and the impression you got from the first episode as an anime only viewer.

It has a gary stu lead male character and a bunch of fanservicey useless female archetypes who fawn over him, via incredibly sexist narrative. That's a harem

I find the futuristic world that the author created to be fascinating as it takes on the perspective if Magic was more like a advanced technology than a supernatural entity and I also take interest in the detail the author goes into to explain the functionality of the magic and how it is utilised.

A world of highschool magic. So complex, much creative.
As for the anime I don't mind the character designs I mean compared to some other designs I've seen they're quite good actually and I think the animation and pacing is well done.

You mean expect for the fact that the two leads look DOUCHIEST and most generic as possible, out-doing even Kira fucking Yamato from gundam seed in terms of gary stu generic looks and everyone else looks like they stepped out of any other generic shonen show in existence?

As for Sidonia it is quite generic compared to Tsutomu's previos work like Blame. Perhaps to draw in a larger audience as Blame was more of cult series. Despite this I think it has some of the best artwork I've ever seen as well as a pretty interesting story and the anime has done quite a good job to portray this.

Different =/= Generic.

His previous works drew inspiration from Phillip K. Dick and Blade Runner. Cold, distant architectural dystopias.

Sidonia drawns more inspiration from transhumanist fiction writers like A.C.Clarke and I.Asimov. Sanitized clean looking strange architecture, exploration of human nature and sexuality, etc.
Apr 11, 2014 9:22 AM

Dec 2010
Not quite as impressive as, say, the first episode of Gargantia, but as far as recent mecha shows go this certainly looks like it'll be one of the better ones. Frame skipping, awkward mouth movements and moderate amounts of cliche aside, that was great viewing.
Apr 11, 2014 9:30 AM
Sep 2013
Ahah that was technically pretty bad. Sound effects were all wrong, blatant reusage of CGI models, overall akward direction with scenes played out for too long and weird transitions. When there is too much movement the frames count down goes down a lot.

Thought the environment aesthetic was great and I don't mind the CG characters much other than bad voice coordination and some weird movements.
Wasn't a fan of the humor either.
Di-DorvalApr 11, 2014 12:09 PM
Apr 11, 2014 9:30 AM
Jan 2014
I thought the animation wasn't very smooth.
I did enjoy the music and the main character of the show. the ending really left me wanting more, I will admit and I feel i'll like this show a lot as it progresses.
Apr 11, 2014 9:38 AM

Dec 2007
I got used to the CG pretty quickly, the OP song was awesome, The 3D chicks were hot, the MC made me laugh, the setting is very intriguing.. looks like another favorite of the season for me, easily.
Apr 11, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2007
Good episode. It will take a while to get used to the animation even after seeing Kingdom Season 1 but at least it has my attention.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 11, 2014 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
The animation is... weird, to say the least.
I've barely read the manga, but the story is totally unlike Nihei's style. I don't know where it'll go, but I think I can't expect another Blame! out of this.
Oh, and the opening is pretty awesome.
Apr 11, 2014 9:59 AM

Feb 2012
oh man i was screaming in pain when he dislocated his fingers!! Felt mad sorry when he hit his head hard lol
Apr 11, 2014 10:15 AM

Oct 2013
I'll tell you all a secret, mah niggas.

Hajime Isayama is a Tsutomu Nihei's admirer.

Mind = Blown
Apr 11, 2014 10:48 AM

Oct 2011
Ouch for Tamikaze. All those injuries OMG : 0

Dat cliffhanger NOOO!!
Apr 11, 2014 11:05 AM

Jun 2013
Damn, that was kind of weird. Nevertheless, I definitely enjoyed the first episode a lot. Will surely continue watching. Also, the protagonist reminds me somewhat of Ichise from Texhnolyze.
Apr 11, 2014 11:08 AM

Jun 2013
ichii_1 said:
MAHOUKA>>>>>SIDONIA
GET OVER IT, YOU BUTTHURT COMMONERS

And then there's this one desperate person.
Apr 11, 2014 11:31 AM

Jan 2012
Fai said:
Lyrisia said:

I just love how clueless some people can be....
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/whatiscloning/

Well I wasn't supposed to know they were cloning people in their world, was I? Though I must admit it was the only logical solution...

And you know, I was wondering 'why' not 'how'... so your answer is a bit irrelevant
LyrisiaApr 12, 2014 6:16 AM
Apr 11, 2014 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
Really good episode the CG doesn't bother me at all .

Apr 11, 2014 11:58 AM

Jun 2013
Sadly it is quite rare for a show rated a low 7 on MAL to turn into an 8 or higher. With 500 votes already cast, we are likely looking at more or less the final score. I've never seen an anime with a low-ish score at the start of the season end up significantly higher by the end, at least from what I can recall.

Which is a shame, because this show deserves much more than a low 7. Needs more loli, apparently.
Apr 11, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2007
ex_necross said:
Sadly it is quite rare for a show rated a low 7 on MAL to turn into an 8 or higher. With 500 votes already cast, we are likely looking at more or less the final score. I've never seen an anime with a low-ish score at the start of the season end up significantly higher by the end, at least from what I can recall.

Which is a shame, because this show deserves much more than a low 7. Needs more loli, apparently.

Incest, lolis, highschool and annoying childhood friends are the requisite of an over 8 anime at MAL.

All the while masterpieces like Casshern Sins end up getting a 7.
Apr 11, 2014 12:08 PM

Jun 2013
Fai said:
ex_necross said:

Incest, lolis, highschool and annoying childhood friends are the requisite of an over 8 anime at MAL.

All the while masterpieces like Casshern Sins end up getting a 7.

Besides, the last time a mecha show "blew up" in popularity (outside of Japan) was how long ago? Fucking code geass from 2006? In terms of mainsteam popularity that bullshit like AoT gets. Mecha is kind of cursed to be at medium popularity at best, unless it contains lots of fanservice and lots of high school.
Apr 11, 2014 12:27 PM

Apr 2014
It was pretty decent, will take me another episode or so to get used to the animation, but I was glad to see that it wasn't at all bad.

Hope there is some more action later on.
Apr 11, 2014 12:46 PM
Oct 2013
Put aside the stupid ugly CG, This episode is good..

Fai said:

If this man at least trying to respect others taste of anime, I think I as well as many viewers will enjoy this anime a whole lot more..
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Apr 11, 2014 12:56 PM

Oct 2013
I do not like the CG characters especially... so weird. Otherwise it seems promising.
I am a human.
Apr 11, 2014 12:58 PM

Feb 2011
I really like the first episode and the atmosphere the series creates.
Apr 11, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
I think I'll stick with this. Its gonna take a while to get used to the animation though.

7/10
Apr 11, 2014 1:25 PM

Jun 2009
aside from the animation i like where its going. the plot and everything.
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Apr 11, 2014 1:30 PM

Feb 2012
I feel like the episode was a little rushed for some reason. I actually liked the animation it was unique. Hopefully some epic mech fight next episode.
Apr 11, 2014 1:59 PM
Mar 2012
This has been a very interesting watch. I'm so glad Nihei has got a work of his animated. I of course would like to see his true cyberpunk, but i'm looking forward to this.

Music seems great, and it's impressive that they want to go cg all the way

Problems though are the glitchy 3d frame rate and the first episode didn't exactly show much happen. felt like it ended quickly

I'm definitely getting aboard on this anime. This will be fun! So glad i read the manga first.
Apr 11, 2014 2:03 PM

Dec 2007
Great first episode. My favourite this season bu far. But I'll wait until it's finished for the rest.
Apr 11, 2014 2:13 PM
Feb 2013
Whoa, the girl is a Hermaphrodite?
Apr 11, 2014 2:34 PM

Jan 2008
Just looking at the MC made my body hurt... I honestly don't remember, when was the last time I've seen a character, that inflicted so many injuries to himself in such a short time.

More than that: I liked it. I like both - empty spaces and details of megastructures, BGM is awesome and I even the CG doesn't bother me too much (maybe because I finished Appleseed XIII not so long ago).
-
Apr 11, 2014 3:26 PM

Sep 2010
I surprisingly liked it, despite the CG. The idea of a third gender is pretty cool, too.
Apr 11, 2014 3:37 PM

May 2011
Liked it so far. Actually it's really good. I'm used to CG since I enjoyed Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio. The OP is pretty badass as well as the alien projects. Definitely watching it.
Apr 11, 2014 3:41 PM
Aug 2012
Definitely my most anticipated show this season, and again definitely the one I am going to look the most forward to continue watching out of all of these. I gave the others a chance, but this is the only one that hooked me within the first 10 minutes.

Damn that introduction sequence though... Dude seriously managed to brutally abuse himself repeatedly, hurt just watching it.

And this is probably the only show this season that left me saying "What? NO! Come on..." at the cliffhanger ending, I want to see more.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

228 by OlaEdu »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.