Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2014 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really dig this OP song tbh. It might take me awhile to get used to the animation style though. Still, I thought the style was unique.

Nagate needs more love. Some of the others are treating him like shit so far ;o
Still, the way the show demonstrates its premise matches pretty well imo. OST pretty great. As far the action..hope that picks up a bit more soon too. The mecha action was okay I guess. I liked the ED song.
Apr 10, 2014 1:34 PM

Apr 2008
I think I liked it and it's less worse that I expected. I like the manga. The animation goes well with the style of Nihei. The opening and ending are good
Apr 10, 2014 2:36 PM

Jul 2007
I love the way CG feels because it fits with the "sanitized clean contrast" aesthetics Nihei went for with Sidonia. The design and the animation style reminds of 2001 Space Odyssey. Really fits that "hard scifi" vibe.

So far fairly accurate with manga from what I remember. Let's hope they stick with it and not get some funny ideas because there's a lot of crazy great stuff down the line.

Also damn great OP.

10/10 for now.
Apr 10, 2014 2:54 PM

Apr 2009
I'm ok with CG mecha, CG building and objects but CG humans is gonna take some getting used to.

Also, Blame anime never ;_;
Apr 10, 2014 6:48 PM

Nov 2007
The OST was magnificent. It's very trance/industrial/ambient which works well. The characters look better than I expected from the PVs. The CG suits Nihei's manga very well, I think.
Two complaints would be the obvious frame-cutting and missing scenes from the manga. It's a single cour, though, so I understand trying to cram the most they can in.
Apr 10, 2014 8:43 PM

Apr 2009
Danish said:
the obvious frame-cutting and missing scenes from the manga
Yeah, the characters' movements were really choppy and it's really a shame that they have to stick to a 23 min format/ unlikely to get a 40 min special as Nihei's works are the sort that really needs the time to gradually build up to get the full impact.
Apr 10, 2014 10:23 PM

Jun 2013
Kiniest said:
Uuuh... Isn't there a group translating this?

This.. seriously wtf? Nobody translating?

Also the score just shows people can't handle 3DCG. Wish people would get over it. This deserves more than a low 7.

Also LOL @ mecha not being a genre for this.
Apr 10, 2014 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
Nilvius said:

Also, Blame anime never ;_;

Don't give up on it just yet. I'm sure a kind benevolent production company (Madhouse) will adapt it one day.
#We_need_Blame
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 10, 2014 10:30 PM

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:
Kiniest said:
Uuuh... Isn't there a group translating this?

This.. seriously wtf? Nobody translating?

Also the score just shows people can't handle 3DCG. Wish people would get over it. This deserves more than a low 7.

Also LOL @ mecha not being a genre for this.

'Underwater' is translating it, they have already released episode 1.

Also, now I'm really interested in seeing how the OP looks, as I fucking love openings...
Apr 10, 2014 10:41 PM

Oct 2010
One of my most anticipated shows this season, and had a decent first episode. OP and ED songs were good.
Apr 10, 2014 10:51 PM

Sep 2007
Man. Nihei's works always has such crazy atmosphere to it. Good to see it translated well into the anime so far.

http://i.imgur.com/ulwRIe0.jpg

Also, dat ass.
Apr 10, 2014 10:52 PM

Sep 2011
Despite the awkward CG, this is quite good and I love the soundtrack it has. Hoping the action is good as well. 7/10 for a first impression.
Apr 10, 2014 10:54 PM
Sep 2008
knights of sidonia
KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA?
Apr 10, 2014 11:31 PM

Oct 2007
This will probably end up being the largely under appreciated great show of the season for me.
Apr 10, 2014 11:33 PM

Apr 2012
Wow surprisingly good first episode. Much better than Captain Earth imo. Love the setting and atmosphere of the show. Also.....what there is a third gender in this world o__O. Don't mind the CG but some of the animation seems kinda choppy.

fourberie said:
knights of sidonia
KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA?

hue i was thinking of Muse too.

Apr 10, 2014 11:38 PM

Oct 2012
Struggled with deciding to watch this when the PV's were first shown but decided to give in and watch it and was glad I did.
Apr 10, 2014 11:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Read the first few chapters awhile ago and couldn't get into it, but I like this in anime version :) The third gender was definitely weird for me too when I read it, but I liked Izana from the time he/she was introduced. Lol stupid English, how do I even call her/him. It? ._.

Sucks for Nagate, his first time in a sortie and then they encounter a Gauna :(
Apr 10, 2014 11:58 PM

Apr 2009
skyzblue said:
Don't give up on it just yet. I'm sure a kind benevolent production company (Madhouse) will adapt it one day.
#We_need_Blame
I'm ok with just Noise getting animated. That's only 1 volume so an OVA or 2 should suffice and it being an OVA means that it'll likely have better production values.
Apr 11, 2014 12:09 AM

Jul 2012
Wow the MAL rating is at a 7.00 but why are most of the comments in this thread so positive? Beats me.

Anyway, great first episode. I really like how it kept the mysterious and serious feel throughout, unlike the other sci-fi/action shows this spring. The CG is kind of odd and will take time to get used to but otherwise, I'm loving the colours, scenery and Mecha designs.

Also, I like the dystopian feel. It's almost like Shinsekai yori especially with the hint of bisexuality with the main characters.
MayukaApr 11, 2014 8:51 AM
Apr 11, 2014 12:09 AM

Nov 2007
Probably the best first episode of all the anime I am following this season. How strange is that I wasn't at all interested in either Haikyuu!! or Sidonia no Kishi yet after watching the first episodes, both turned out to be standout shows of the season.

Since the Japanese title can be abbreviated to SnK, here are some slight similarities with certain other anime that happened to have won a number of awards last year:

1) Monsters re-appearing/attacking after a hundred year hiatus
2) Only a certain way to kill the monsters
3) Monsters disintegrate after being killed
4) Special weapons are developed for meeting that purpose alone
5) Best OP of the season

Anyways, I already got used to the character design. I think the environment helped, and since the anime seems promising I decided not to let the animation style bother me. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 11, 2014 12:12 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Opening song is really good!
Unique animation style. Not bad at all.

Ouch! That gotta hurt.. Nagate is off to a bad start.

He finally gets vouched by Kobayashi. Seems like they know Nagate is pretty good. :)

'Type 17' mecha Tsugumori is taken away for a short mission and Nagate is in it's operation.
That Kunato guy will die out of jealousy. XD

Mecha designs and motions were animated nicely!

First 'Gauna' is a tentacle type.. Yamano is down.
Now, it's up to our good hero; Negate!

Ending song was epic! The OSTs were pretty decent as well.

Apr 11, 2014 12:14 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
A bit jumpy animation but interesting settings and concepts.

Not a first time third gender is mentioned in SF literature (see Octavia Butler). Nice that they used a notion that is not well explored in anime SF.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 11, 2014 12:19 AM
Oct 2010
That was pretty awesome. That third gender must make for some interesting sexy time.
Apr 11, 2014 12:21 AM

Jul 2012
The framerate for the CGI really didn't help the viewing experiences and was actually quite distracting a lot of the time.

The story and concept are interesting though.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 11, 2014 12:28 AM

Nov 2012
Good episode. But is it just me or a lot of these characters look alike?
Apr 11, 2014 12:30 AM

Feb 2014
The CG is excellent, this anime is going to be one heck of a ride.
AzlanApr 11, 2014 1:21 AM
Apr 11, 2014 12:31 AM
Sep 2011
Quite impressed so far. The setting is incredibly fascinating and is enhanced by lush visuals and well-used CGI especially for the action scenes and mechanical animation. Even the characters almost look natural in their movements which is definitely an improvement to the usual CGI offerings we get in anime.
Apr 11, 2014 12:32 AM

May 2013
Nice episode and nice OP. The art style is somehow unique but I find the animation great because of maybe, a 3d style? (In mah eyes)
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Feb 2014
shanimebib said:
Probably the best first episode of all the anime I am following this season. How strange is that I wasn't at all interested in either Haikyuu!! or Sidonia no Kishi yet after watching the first episodes, both turned out to be standout shows of the season.

Since the Japanese title can be abbreviated to SnK, here are some slight similarities with certain other anime that happened to have won a number of awards last year:

5) Best OP of the season

Anyways, I already got used to the character design. I think the environment helped, and since the anime seems promising I decided not to let the animation style bother me. :)

The Sidonia No Kishi manga was released before Shingeki No Kyojin though.
AzlanApr 11, 2014 12:37 AM
Apr 11, 2014 12:39 AM

Apr 2012
mayukachan said:
Wow the MAL rating is at a 7.00 but why are most of the comments in this thread so positive? Beats me.

I'm guessing people are completely dismissing it just because it is CG. This is way better than No Game No Life. lol

Apr 11, 2014 12:46 AM

Mar 2013
Don't know but my first impression on this show was actually pretty good. The animation style is beautiful.
Apr 11, 2014 1:03 AM

Jun 2013
Zeally said:
mayukachan said:

I'm guessing people are completely dismissing it just because it is CG. This is way better than No Game No Life. lol

almost every anime this season is better than no game no life
no loli, no little shitty sister,no hype, but only a good show
Apr 11, 2014 1:06 AM

Jan 2013
GenuineAnime said:

I haven't read the manga but it seems cloning and human engineering is the norm. At least that was my conclusion from the characters appearances, mention of a 3rd gender, and if I understood it correctly their bodies can use photosynthesis.
Apr 11, 2014 1:13 AM

May 2010
mayukachan said:

Anyway, great first episode. I really like how it kept the mysterious and serious feel throughout, unlike the other sci-to/action shows this spring. The CG is kind of odd and will take time to get used to but otherwise, I'm loving the colours, scenery and Mecha designs.

Also, I like the dystopian feel. It's almost like Shinsekai yori especially with the hint of bisexuality with the main characters.

i usually vote when an anime is finished ..unless it has a huge amount of episodes.

i really loved the way it looks. there is a massive amount of cgi but it all fits together and look damn good. this firsz episode was awesome. i want more. sountrack is great too.

@ChoiDalDal

agree. dropped that trash instantly.
Apr 11, 2014 1:18 AM

Aug 2010
Good stuff, glad I got used to watching CG from Ars Nova so this is no problem :D

Plot is ur usual vs aliens but I'm liking it.

Nagate should be a good character. All dat suffering had me lol and cringe XD
Falling from that height, breaking two fingers, hitting his head to the wall while on a mobile vehicle, getting falcon punched and the end when he got sent flying and seems like he got pretty dislocated O_o...dat gotta hurt.

The third gender had me O_O XD but I'm gonna treat here a girl for now.

We'll next episode should be good. The PC looked nice.

I'm wondering about the woman who seems to be in the lead? I think she'll turn out to be immortal indeed.
Apr 11, 2014 1:19 AM

Nov 2013
No Game No Life is my favorite anime this season thus far. It's just so "lively" (oh the irony). This is quite good too. The CG animation quite fits the futuristic mecha theme.

Apr 11, 2014 1:29 AM

Jan 2013
Wow, to me that felt like a 5 minute episode, it really sucked me in. The CG looked a bit unusual at first, but I quickly got used to it and I feel it really fits this show.

The OP is brilliant, love the song and the visuals, and the OST itself is marvellously different to other shows. Not got much of an opinion on the ED though.

I also like the aliens, they seem quite...monstrous :P. And that talking bear woman gave me a bit of a shock! I wasn't expecting that at all...

Really looking forward to the next episode! I thought this show would be one of the ones I least enjoyed out of my pick for this season, but it seems like it could be my favourite!
Apr 11, 2014 1:30 AM
Apr 2013
That ad break title card shows what could have been if they went with traditional 2-d and what could have been could have been awesome. Still I got used to the CG since seeing the trailers and it fits better with small eyed characters than the googley-eyed characters of "Arpeggio of Blue Steel".

Atmospheric as fuck, with a story that seems to be going places. Will probably do what Shingeki no Kyojin couldn't i.e. give us a humanity survival story with actual humans being humans in it (I see two characters already who will struggle with inner demons, white haired dude and stuck up girl who didn't want to go to the hospital to see the "Mole Man").

Savior of this season thus declareth Ollythirteen who is NOT a fan of mecha anime (and who is hotly anticipating another mecha anime, M3).

PS:

Triplets (well, clones since there were so many of them) were hot.

Main heroine is hot.

Third Gender girl is hot.

Huggy fox-mask-wearing captain is hot.

CGI boobie jiggle attempt is hot.

Hot hot hot hot hot...

Apr 11, 2014 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
ChoiDalDal said:
Zeally said:
mayukachan said:

yea i have no idea how the show is rated 8.35 already >_>.......

Apr 11, 2014 1:36 AM

Feb 2011
Well, I'll give it this, it looks waaaay better than that horrifying Ars Nova anime, but unfortunately I just can't get used to CG and it just feels too out of place for my taste.

I can see why people don't mind the CG in this too much, but personally, I'll pass.
Apr 11, 2014 1:37 AM

May 2012
Haven't seen a main character get so brutalized in the opening minutes for a long time. He got utterly smacked!
CGI is jarring as hell but still watchable and the mechs are neat.
OP & ED are amazing.
Apr 11, 2014 1:40 AM
Apr 2013
Zeally said:
ChoiDalDal said:
Zeally said:
mayukachan said:

yea i have no idea how the show is rated 8.35 already >_>.......

Was a good first ep, though a lot of complaints about the colour palette and art style too.

I guess the mystery of the score would be down to hype since it has a source material a lot of people have read (LN)

I'm sure pretty much majority of that score comes from people who feel the source material was adapted nicely.

Apr 11, 2014 1:42 AM
Apr 2013
stealthdasher said:
shanimebib said:

5) Best OP of the season

The Sidonia No Kishi manga was released before Shingeki No Kyojin though.

Hey, I'll take Spear Weilding Mecha over gas-powered skipping ropes and meat cleavers as weapons (and the stupid characters that weidl them) any day, but that's just me...

Apr 11, 2014 2:03 AM

Jul 2007
Kaioshin_Sama said:
This will probably end up being the largely under appreciated great show of the season for me.

I am actually naively hoping for this to blow up in popularity for no reason like Attack On Titan did. Except that Sidonia actually deserves it.

GenuineAnime said:

Considering we have a full set of identical looking characters, nope. Its a plot point.

mayukachan said:

2d purists hating on CGI and voting it 1/10

fourberie said:
knights of sidonia
KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA?

Cydonia is actually a secondary name for Greek Goddess Athena, which in greek mythology is depicted with a mask.

Also its the region on Mars with the famous "moon face" in it.
Apr 11, 2014 2:24 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
this is gonna be one of the better ones this season, seems very interesting
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Apr 11, 2014 2:27 AM

Dec 2011
Since I adapt really fast the CG doesn't bother and the story seems rather interesting and I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 11, 2014 2:55 AM
Nov 2010
I already guessed that the similar looking characters were more then likely clones.
I'm fine with cgi but I'd think it would cost a pretty penny to do a whole anime series over an ova or movie this way.

I usually don't go for mechas but this is pretty nice.
Apr 11, 2014 3:34 AM

Apr 2013
absolutly hate cg characters. a few scenes here and there ok but entire series ugh.. kinda fits the series though

love the opening and ending aswell as the ost throughtout the episode

overall kinda creepy feeling

def gonna continue watching it
Apr 11, 2014 3:46 AM

Jun 2013
I would like it more if the animation (particularly on the characters) didn't look like it was set on a low frame rate. Some characters look too similar as well. Other then that I haven't got too many gripes yet, considering how I think CG anime will make easier for shows to break into the western mainstream in the future I'll be a bit generous at the start.
JivingLotusApr 11, 2014 3:52 AM
Apr 11, 2014 3:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great first episode. Story, characters, setting, ,music. It has it all. The CG takes a bit of getting used to ( the faces more than anything) but this has to be the sleeper of the season. Of course a segment of the MAL crowd has already marked this down because it doesn't conform to the current anime orthodoxy, but I bet this show has a mainstream appeal that others lack.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.