Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 29, 2014 10:14 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty intense episode imo.

Nagate's resolve was pleasing to see and the battles escalated like usual. Ah Honoka ;.;
It was interesting to see Hiyama's past a bit though when she first encountered the Gauna. The ending was kinda interesting.
May 29, 2014 10:26 AM

Apr 2009
My god, what an episode

RIP Honoka
Jesus fuck Benisuzume is creepy
lol Kunato get a grip
Lala/Hiroki OTP
May 29, 2014 11:42 AM

Apr 2014
Yep gotta wait for like a day for the goddamn subs
May 29, 2014 12:10 PM

Nov 2013
Z4k said:

But it's worth every damn second in the end.
May 29, 2014 2:58 PM
Apr 2014
Honoka Hou R.I.P
Kunato's break down
Hiyama flash back happened sooner than I expected
Hiroki is a badass
Hoshijiro fans rejoice?
Also the sound effects in this series is so amazing...
deityignisMay 29, 2014 8:26 PM
May 29, 2014 4:17 PM

Apr 2014
Botato said:
Z4k said:

But it's worth every damn second in the end.

Hell yeah it is D:
May 29, 2014 5:47 PM

May 2008
Must... wait for subs. But.. it's so tempting to be spoiled. Goddammit, Underwater! You're such a virtuous group, but why such a wait?
May 29, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2013
NanoZero said:
Must... wait for subs. But.. it's so tempting to be spoiled. Goddammit, Underwater! You're such a virtuous group, but why such a wait?

Everything is a popularity contest, even down to the small things like fansubs. Sidonia is on the lower end of the popularity spectrum, thus we have to wait quite awhile for subs each week (ep 7 was a pleasant exception), while shows like NGNL and magic bullshit have subs near instantaneously.
May 30, 2014 1:46 AM
May 2014
Finally, we get to see Benisuzume after waiting a long time. I definitely think that she's one of the highlights of the series and basically enjoy any chapter that has had her in it so finally seeing her in the anime is awesome.

It's nice that they're trying to do something more with Kunato's character this time around where he just kinda dropped off for a while in the manga. He definitely didn't react as badly as he did here, let me put it to you like that.

You know, I just realized that Tanikaze literally being immortal raises some very tragic implications. He's gonna stop aging after a point and is nearly impossible to kill. Meanwhile, all of his friends and loved ones are all gonna either be killed by the Gauna or merely die of old age while he has to suffer through centuries of it.

If you think about it, that kinda implication means that there are really only two individuals who can understand what he's gonna have to eventually suffer: Lala and Kobayashi. Maybe that's, outside of the obvious ones, one of the reasons why they feel so protective over him?

I don't know how to put the spoiler tag on (First time doing this) so I'll just say that below is a spoiler:

Mod Note; You put a spoiler tag on by surrounding the text with {spoiler}text{/spoiler} except you use [ and ] instead of { and }, I've done it for you this time...
rodacMay 30, 2014 9:38 PM
May 30, 2014 8:56 AM

Jan 2014
Manga Spoilers

Bikdu866May 30, 2014 9:21 AM
May 30, 2014 9:10 AM

Aug 2012
Bikdu866 said:
Manga Spoilers

May 30, 2014 9:13 AM

Jul 2010
I hope Kunato remains eternally haunted by Hoshijiro.
That battle was kinda creepy when the Gauna was using Hoshijiro's voice. They seemed pretty strong especially the one that escaped.
The council and Hiyama's past. Nagate being a clone of Hiroki wasn't too suprising with that same face. Nice to see how Hiyama feels about Hiroki and tried to help him.
The ending with the "specimen" talking... is quite interesting. That imitation power of the Gauna... is this the beginning of communications!?!
Good episode! The background story for the "immortals" was nice!
May 30, 2014 9:19 AM

Jan 2014
Onuma said:
Bikdu866 said:
Manga Spoilers

Then I hope it does well on Netflix and in Japan so it gets a second season! :)
May 30, 2014 9:54 AM

Aug 2007
Glad they finally explained what really transpired all those years ago. Nice to see hints all around but its always good to see how it all came together. :P Well I wondered whats going to happen to the placenta they recovered. It looks like it has some intelligence.

Sent with Mal Updater
May 30, 2014 9:58 AM

Jan 2012
Haha damn Kunato seems to feel a bit guilty about Hoshijiro lol She died because of him after all --"
May 30, 2014 10:10 AM
Jan 2012
This episode was a total masterpiece.

Some of you might remember me as the random that made the review "dat CGI though" for trolling purposes.

Kindly notice I radically changed my point of view as of now. (Though it was a strong 8-9 as early as ep 4).
May 30, 2014 10:13 AM

Jan 2008
It was fun seeing Kunato shitting himself.

Interesting back-story to where Tanikase really came from. Now I'm wondering...if he was taken out of the test tube early, does that mean he forfeited being immortal as originally planned?
May 30, 2014 10:47 AM

Nov 2013
I don't mind swords, but bows were totally out of place, where did all the firearms disappear?;
sadfacelvMay 30, 2014 11:45 AM
May 30, 2014 11:09 AM

May 2013
Nice seeing a flashback of what happened 100 years ago. I find it funny how Hiro was trying to flirt with Lala lol.
May 30, 2014 11:10 AM

Apr 2014
Tbh I felt sorry for Kunato. It was nice to see what happened in the past and Hiro was badass even when he was old lol.
May 30, 2014 11:13 AM

Apr 2009
sadfacelv said:
I don't mind swords, but bow where totally out of place, where did all the firearms disappear?;

Using fire arms on a space ship is always a silly idea, especially when said space ship is the last refuge of humanity.
May 30, 2014 11:21 AM

Sep 2013
I'm glad Kunato has a guilty conscience.
I loved this episode <3 So much back story.

Hiro and Lala flirting = i'm dead. How did she not crush him when she leaned into him? He must be a pretty strong old dude XD
May 30, 2014 11:24 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
How can a single 24 minutes contain so much goodness?!!

Battle against the Gauna was another blinder and we get Hoshijiro back although not quite in the way one would expect. That Gauna has absorbed her and now who know's how she will act.

The flashback was short but very effective and gave us almost all of the pieces of the puzzle to know what happened in Sidonia's past (the root of Tanikaze's healing ability, his 'grandad's motivation to hide him etc). I'm really looking forward to seeing more of that Ochiai character and find out why he did what he did.

Finally I just wanted to add that Yuhata Midorikawa will become an instant favorite in the mecha community. Any girl that has gone through "superglue on fingers while putting my figure together" is a true sister.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 30, 2014 11:25 AM

Nov 2013
Loved the fight scenes in this episode.
Bit of back in the past time with Lala, so cute to see a bear in a space suit.
Good bits of Hiroki's past and Tanikaze's.
Interesting Ending.... Can't wait for the next episode
May 30, 2014 11:30 AM

Apr 2014
Lala best girl(bear)
May 30, 2014 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
At the beginning of the season, Captain Earth was my premier mecha show and Sidonia was in the trash. Now, this is the best mecha show of spring.
May 30, 2014 11:48 AM

Nov 2013
Amarrez said:
sadfacelv said:
I don't mind swords, but bow where totally out of place, where did all the firearms disappear?;

Using fire arms on a space ship is always a silly idea, especially when said space ship is the last refuge of humanity.

oO the spaceship can handle all this mega acceleration thing from ep04, but can't handle bullets? Then at least harpoons or smth, bows are just too much;
May 30, 2014 11:51 AM
Jan 2013
So, if I'm not mistaken Nagate is a clone of Hiroki.
May 30, 2014 11:59 AM

Aug 2010
Now that was amazing!!

The first half with the battle against the Guana was nice. That 490 was OP as hell!! And what a creepy cute smile that was hehe.

Loved seeing Kunato pissing his pants XD Bastard deserves it.

Also really expected Nagate to go Emo over the Shizuka like pilot but he really didn't. Really loving this guy a lot.

2nd half was really nice. Loved the flashback. Lot's of revelations there.

I wonder what caused Ochia to do what he did.

What a way to remain immortal though :O Transplanting brains to clones.

And finding out that Nagate is a genetically immortal clone of Hiro was O_O wow!
So Hiro didn't want to be immortal anymore and thus did what he did.

What a BA he was!! Even as an Old man he owned all those soldiers. BOSS!

Yure totally looks like Izana. I guess she's her grandma or something as she's a Shinatose too?

Also that red Shizuka "Benisuzume"? at the end was pretty cute :3 I wonder how much of Shizuka's personality she'll have?
May 30, 2014 12:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Though it wasn't much, I was slightly annoyed by Benisuzume's giggles. But I guess it just shows that it's not human. I think they also skipped lots of the flashback, straight to after Ochiai abandoned the Kabizashi's, which is a shame. At least we got to see how badass Hiro was.

Still, it was good episode. It was nice (well not nice, per se) seeing Kunato going through some psychological suffering due to the results of what he did to Nagate. He's human after all, and must realize somewhere in the back of his head that what he did was wrong.
May 30, 2014 12:32 PM

Oct 2011
Tanikaze is bad@ss just like his grandfather.
May 30, 2014 12:42 PM

May 2008
ex_necross said:
Everything is a popularity contest, even down to the small things like fansubs. Sidonia is on the lower end of the popularity spectrum, thus we have to wait quite awhile for subs each week (ep 7 was a pleasant exception), while shows like NGNL and magic bullshit have subs near instantaneously.

Preach. It's been awhile since waiting a day for subs was normal. Sidonia no Kishi deserves more support, period. (As long as it doesn't get as popular as Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill, I'm down for it.)

So, we meet, Benisuzume. They got the creepy feeling down on that battle while still making it action packed. It's just as I imagined it would be animated.

The second half was really helpful, but now we're wondering why Ochiai did what he did. Hopefully that will be answered soon.

Great episode, though. Worth the wait for sure!
May 30, 2014 12:55 PM

Mar 2014
Benisuzume: TA-NI-KA-ZE kun! well, that gives me the chills.
May 30, 2014 12:58 PM
Feb 2013
tingy said:
Though it wasn't much, I was slightly annoyed by Benisuzume's giggles. But I guess it just shows that it's not human. I think they also skipped lots of the flashback, straight to after Ochiai abandoned the Kabizashi's, which is a shame. At least we got to see how badass Hiro was.

Still, it was good episode. It was nice (well not nice, per se) seeing Kunato going through some psychological suffering due to the results of what he did to Nagate. He's human after all, and must realize somewhere in the back of his head that what he did was wrong.

Nothing to be done about that, Tingy. Can't be helped, since it's only 12 episodes and the manga is still continuing. Depending on where they plan to end it, a lot more might be skipped.

I didn't like the giggles neither, and I didn't interpret it that way when I read the manga neither. Also, Kunato didn't react like that in the manga neither. But, while his reaction was a bit over the top, I guess one could still presume he did feel guilty and was bothered by his conscience. On itself, that isn't a bad take on things (the manga kind of didn't left him out for a while). In a sense, it would explain his 'change of heart' in regard to being a pilot too. Maybe even better than in the manga. I just wished they had toned it down a bit; now, it seems like he got a total breakdown from just hearing her voice, which seems a bit exaggerated.
May 30, 2014 1:02 PM
Feb 2012
sadfacelv said:
Amarrez said:
sadfacelv said:

oO the spaceship can handle all this mega acceleration thing from ep04, but can't handle bullets? Then at least harpoons or smth, bows are just too much;

No guns makes it harder for insurrection.

With the anime not diverging from the manga still except for small bits cut it does seem we're going to have another 12 episodes in the Fall or Spring.
May 30, 2014 1:37 PM

Apr 2014
Humza_96 said:
After the first 6 episodes were shit and lifeless the last 2 episodes especially this one have been pretty interesting. And for the first time I'm actually intrigued to find out what happens next.

Still waiting to find out why Lala is a bear though.

The show doesn't really deserve more popularity because the beginning was shit. That's probably why it got rated so low on this site as well as why it's not rated elsewhere.

Excuse me? Not a single episode of this was shit or lifeless. And yes it deserves more popularity because its one of the best airing shows this season. Heck its even better than AoT.
May 30, 2014 1:58 PM

Jul 2007
Nice to see that they at leas TRIED to fix some of damage done to Kunato's character depth by alterations they made before, giving us at least a bit of insight into HOW he feels(even though his motivations have been cut). Still bet Otaku Weebo Waifu Defense Force will still continue the hate-train.

Some re-arranged flashbacks but otherwise quite faithful adaptation of the material.

I do hate that quite a bit of Ochiai stuff was skipped but they can always include another flashback latter on with
. I am thinking we will get something like that during the whole

Seeing all three of Benisuzume was a definite highlight.

And the actual multiple factions of Sidonia are being established right now, the Captain is FINALLY shown in less than goodie-two-shoes light too. Definitely right steps in parts that they seriously messed up before this.

Bikdu866 said:
Manga Spoilers

No Chance at all.

At best we:
May 30, 2014 2:12 PM
Apr 2014
Good episode. My only complaint was that it felt like things were moving way to fast even though they skipped some stuff from the manga. Curse of having only 12 eps.
May 30, 2014 2:17 PM

Jun 2008
85.19% votes for 5/5 for now. Well, it's not surprising in the slightest.

I really like the flashback, but am a bit confused by the timeline. If Hiroki returned 14 years before the current events, then Nagate is 14? Or was he medically aged? And how come he doesn't know about the third gender - his grandpa/gene donor/dad surely heard something about it in a brief time he was with the council then.
Hiyama is a great character, and now I see why she treats Nagate like her child.
Poor Honokas, no more soccer team for them.
The Gauna's giggles were a bit annoying.
Oh, and am I the only one who doesn't want Kunato to die?...
May 30, 2014 2:23 PM
Apr 2014
Fai said:
Nice to see that they at leas TRIED to fix some of damage done to Kunato's character depth by alterations they made before, giving us at least a bit of insight into HOW he feels(even though his motivations have been cut). Still bet Otaku Weebo Waifu Defense Force will still continue the hate-train.

What exactly did they cut?
May 30, 2014 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
It's a shame this series is only 12 episodes T_T.
The reanimated mecha fight was awesome. Excellent back story/ explaining how Nagate came about.
I wonder what they are going to do with Hoshijiro. She's acting like an infant now D:

May 30, 2014 2:47 PM

Jul 2007
deityignis said:
Fai said:

What exactly did they cut?

Anime removes that nuance of his character, sadly.
May 30, 2014 2:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
AnimageNeby said:
tingy said:

Nothing to be done about that, Tingy. Can't be helped, since it's only 12 episodes and the manga is still continuing. Depending on where they plan to end it, a lot more might be skipped.

I didn't like the giggles neither, and I didn't interpret it that way when I read the manga neither. Also, Kunato didn't react like that in the manga neither. But, while his reaction was a bit over the top, I guess one could still presume he did feel guilty and was bothered by his conscience. On itself, that isn't a bad take on things (the manga kind of didn't left him out for a while). In a sense, it would explain his 'change of heart' in regard to being a pilot too. Maybe even better than in the manga. I just wished they had toned it down a bit; now, it seems like he got a total breakdown from just hearing her voice, which seems a bit exaggerated.

Yeah I know, it happens with many adaptations, there will always be parts that are cut due to time constraints :( I think they've done a pretty great job so far with shortening scenes and such though, but I still thought the flashback was kind of important. I can see why they decided to not animate the whole thing though.

Glad I wasn't the only who didn't like the giggles. And despite liking Kunato's part in the anime, I have to agree that it was a bit overdone. Kind of like what they did with Momose's exaggerated screams.
May 30, 2014 3:13 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Gardes' squad vs. Gauna frames was quite an intense battle.
That creepily cute laugh was a nice addition to G490's toughness. Gauna version of Shizuka was pretty OP.
Liked how Nagate stayed calm throughout the fight despite going against a Gauna clone of Shizuka. Awesome!
Kunato sweating like hell was great to see. XD

Hiyama's flashback was nice. She truly cared for Hiroki.
I wonder why Ochiai threw away the Kabizashi which caused them to lose the main archives. O.o
Yure was brilliant in finding a way to access Ochiai's memories safely. I assume she's either Izana's mother or grandmother.
Hiroki was a badass old man, taking on those soldiers by himself.
I take it that Nagate is his 'immortal clone'.
He was probably tired of his militant life and thus, wanted rid himself and Nagate out of Sidonia's central for a while.

Nagate calling Hiyama by her first name was nice but Izana gets the punishment afterwards. Hahaha!

"Benisuzume"'s sample, red Shizuka was cute, saying Nagate's name at the end.
Damnit, I wanted to name her CC Shizuka. Oh well.

Awesome episode. Both battle and flashback parts were nicely done.
Still waiting for Kunate's death in a horrible manner.

May 30, 2014 3:14 PM
Aug 2009
I guess it's odd but I just adore Captain Kobayashi. She is so strong, wise, powerful and beautiful woman. And this flashback showed her from very different perspective - emotional and damaged. This kind of characters are so rare in anime.
May 30, 2014 3:22 PM

Mar 2010
Shaniyaz said:
"Benisuzume"'s sample, red Shizuka was cute, saying Nagate's name at the end.
Damnit, I wanted to name her CC Shizuka. Oh well.

Yes....too bad....especially given what happens to her later on. Almost made me want to rage quit the manga....

I find Benisuzume cute with those red eyes....guess it's a side effect of playing Saya no Uta....
May 30, 2014 3:28 PM
May 2014
Z4k said:
Humza_96 said:
After the first 6 episodes were shit and lifeless the last 2 episodes especially this one have been pretty interesting. And for the first time I'm actually intrigued to find out what happens next.

The show doesn't really deserve more popularity because the beginning was shit. That's probably why it got rated so low on this site as well as why it's not rated elsewhere.

Excuse me? Not a single episode of this was shit or lifeless. And yes it deserves more popularity because its one of the best airing shows this season. Heck its even better than AoT.

Wow there. Let's calm down a bit, I llike this show a lot and think that every episode was good but to say that it's better than AoT? That's a bit of a stretch. If it's better than AoT then why isn't it kore popular? I do agree that it deserves more popularity and that it's one of the better shows of this season though.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
May 30, 2014 3:32 PM

Mar 2010
Reite said:
Oh, and am I the only one who doesn't want Kunato to die?...

Frankly, he's one of the best of Sidonia. Without him, we wouldn't have Chimera's later on, and all the associated weapons.
May 30, 2014 3:43 PM

Nov 2013
Oh damn. 17 deaths total.
RIP Honoka :(
Great episode as always, very good battle to kick things off right. I'm quite happy with Kunato this episode. I was worried he would be represented as a generic emotionless villain that doesn't care for his comrades, Hoshijiro haunting him was good. Something tells me there will be more in the future.

Fuck the captain, Bear woman is awesome don't mess with her! Nice flash backs there, about time we get to learn more about the history of Sidonia. And is that Shinatose the great great grandmother of the current genderless one? Cool o.o

That Hoshijiro-looking placenta sample is creepy as hell.

One thing I didn't really get was the part saying Nagate is immortal genetically, can someone clear that up?

Next episode looks.. good? Idk, couldn't judge from the preview.

Overall 5/5
May 30, 2014 3:44 PM

Apr 2014
kikohunter said:
Z4k said:
Humza_96 said:

Wow there. Let's calm down a bit, I llike this show a lot and think that every episode was good but to say that it's better than AoT? That's a bit of a stretch. If it's better than AoT then why isn't it kore popular? I do agree that it deserves more popularity and that it's one of the better shows of this season though.

Probably because of the CGI and genre
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2014

266 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 10:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.