Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2019 8:49 AM

May 2016
Kimurah said:
DirectorK said:

Excuse me?! My Dad died earlier this year and four years before that my oldest brother, who introduced me to anime back when I was a kid in the 90s, died suddenly, leaving behind a wife and a newborn child that he never got to know. My whole family has had a troubled past but we always managed to pull through with each others support.

And yet you sit there and have the audacity to insult me by saying me that I have no sense of emotion or empathy? Consider yourself lucky that we're not talking to each face to face because you wouldn't be standing right now had you said that to my face.

I merely gave you a civilized response to your comment and you responded by insulting me and acting you know everything about me. You better learn to be more respectful towards others before it gets you into trouble.

Then again, if you understand the basics of empathy you should understand that a cold response like Pauline & Mile is far from being right and it would enfuriate the one telling the story, the very same way you now feel now enraged. If this was a pissing contest I could also pull out that I lost my sister in a violent robery at gun point a few years back and that destroyed my family and she also left a husband and 4 kids; I would had ended up with a smug face like Mile & Pauline giving you the message "is that all?"

But since I understand how delicate this kind of situations are, I'll extend an apology and give you my most sincery condolences, because that's how real people act and that's how Mile & Pauline should have acted.

I'll accept your apology and you also have my condolences but I simply cannot agree with your statement about Miles and Pauline. If you think all people should always react like Mavis did then you really haven't gone out much or have met older people who have gone through and/or seen some serious shit.

Their reaction wasn't "smug", that's going too far. They were simply impassive, meaning that they've heard this story before and gone through something similar themselves. They're not newbies like Mavis. So it's no surprise to them that Reina has a tragic back story herself because they themselves have been there and have come out of it.

Let me ask you this. Have you heard of a story that made you have a strong emotional reaction? Then as time went on you kept hearing the same story over and over again to the point that you pretty much get sick and tired of hearing it? That's pretty much the case here. When you hear that story for the first time it does leave a tremendous impact, but the more and more you hear about it the less and less you react until it gets the point that you're not even surprised anymore.

Seriously, how many times have we had characters who had tragic backstories that involved losing a loved one? Not just in anime but also in real life? It's pretty common and it's one you often hear about in news and in cop shows.

For future sake be careful of what you say, especially when it's in person, because some people out there who don't take very kindly to your words.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Nov 5, 2019 8:53 AM

Sep 2014
So the response to Reinas tragic backstory is comedy. I hate this stuff. This is why you leave edge out of fluff anime. Why decide to go with this in the first place when you are so afraid of the reaction you have to immediately follow up with comedy?
(The Rohan impression was good though)

I do wonder what Mile told the girls though, basically half of the story is directly linked to her reincarnation.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 5, 2019 10:03 AM

Aug 2013
Hyouka reference was fantastic. Didn't expect it at all.
私、気になります!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 5, 2019 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
DirectorK said:
Kimurah said:

Then again, if you understand the basics of empathy you should understand that a cold response like Pauline & Mile is far from being right and it would enfuriate the one telling the story, the very same way you now feel now enraged. If this was a pissing contest I could also pull out that I lost my sister in a violent robery at gun point a few years back and that destroyed my family and she also left a husband and 4 kids; I would had ended up with a smug face like Mile & Pauline giving you the message "is that all?"

But since I understand how delicate this kind of situations are, I'll extend an apology and give you my most sincery condolences, because that's how real people act and that's how Mile & Pauline should have acted.

I'll accept your apology and you also have my condolences but I simply cannot agree with your statement about Miles and Pauline. If you think all people should always react like Mavis did then you really haven't gone out much or have met older people who have gone through and/or seen some serious shit.

Their reaction wasn't "smug", that's going too far. They were simply impassive, meaning that they've heard this story before and gone through something similar themselves. They're not newbies like Mavis. So it's no surprise to them that Reina has a tragic back story herself because they themselves have been there and have come out of it.

Let me ask you this. Have you heard of a story that made you have a strong emotional reaction? Then as time went on you kept hearing the same story over and over again to the point that you pretty much get sick and tired of hearing it? That's pretty much the case here. When you hear that story for the first time it does leave a tremendous impact, but the more and more you hear about it the less and less you react until it gets the point that you're not even surprised anymore.

Seriously, how many times have we had characters who had tragic backstories that involved losing a loved one? Not just in anime but also in real life? It's pretty common and it's one you often hear about in news and in cop shows.

For future sake be careful of what you say, especially when it's in person, because some people out there who don't take very kindly to your words.

you two just explained very clearly why Mile and Pauline reacted that way while Mavis reacted the other way. interesting tidbit that came literally out of nowhere.

that said, Mile's character with her past is inconsistent to her OP powers. she's gonna get killed? she'll be abducted? she's goddamn OP, why is she acting scared and a damsel in distress? I get that she's kindhearted and would rather avoid devilish people than confront them, but she's acting as if her OPness doesn't exist. and before anyone says "but she's hiding her powers!", there's a big difference between pretending her powers doesn't exist and her powers literally not existing.

Comander-07 said:
So the response to Reinas tragic backstory is comedy. I hate this stuff. This is why you leave edge out of fluff anime. Why decide to go with this in the first place when you are so afraid of the reaction you have to immediately follow up with comedy?
(The Rohan impression was good though)

I do wonder what Mile told the girls though, basically half of the story is directly linked to her reincarnation.

the 3 posts above you explains why Mile and Pauline reacted that way while Mavis reacted the other way.
kidlat020Nov 5, 2019 11:06 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Nov 5, 2019 11:37 AM

Dec 2016
DirectorK said:

The expression of smugness I was refering to was the Jojo impersonation, like HereticHunter mentions, it's not the time norplace to pull out such a move.

Pauline & Mile's reaction even though it's impassive or aphatetic, it's something not to take it so casually, so uncaring no matter how common it's been in your life.

Here's another personal anecdote. My country is going straight to hell because our current goverment is just a joke, national security is pretty much unexistant. A few years ago, a former employeer also lost one of his sisters, she was kidnapped and even though his family managed to get the money they were asking, the people that held her hostage just dumped her dead body somewhere down the road a couple of days later. This was like 1½ year ago, I stopped working for this guy 3 years ago, but I managed to cross paths with him around a year ago, and even though we had some back and forth discussions while working and I left his company in a very sudden way that made our relationship go sour, we managed to talk for quite a bit in better terms this time I was able to give him my condolences. If he had brought up the conversation about his sister and I would have responded in such aphatetic way as Mile & Pauline did, the first thing he would have responded with would have been a stinkeye and a"what's wrong with you?!" question.

What you're talking about people being desensitized because they have seen or lived some serious stuff isn't normal on civilians, I can talk about this on first hand with simple events that have happened in my own city and it's not even the worst region in my country. Two months ago there were spotted on 2 different bridges several corpses hanging as a message from one mafia to another in my region. The indepency parade was cancelled because someone shot and killed a guy on the street in plain daylight a couple of hours before the parade route before even started and this was just a couple of blocks away from my home.

Real people aren't this uncaring when it comes to talk about the deceased or hardships that changed someone's life.
Nov 5, 2019 5:06 PM

May 2018
Oh hell, the Jojo reference got a laugh out of me.
Episode jumped back and forth between sad parts and funny parts but overall it was good seeing their backstories.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Nov 5, 2019 6:46 PM

Jan 2013
kidlat020 said:
that said, Mile's character with her past is inconsistent to her OP powers. she's gonna get killed? she'll be abducted? she's goddamn OP, why is she acting scared and a damsel in distress? I get that she's kindhearted and would rather avoid devilish people than confront them, but she's acting as if her OPness doesn't exist. and before anyone says "but she's hiding her powers!", there's a big difference between pretending her powers doesn't exist and her powers literally not existing.

Mile's backstory makes sense following the timeline. She stars understanding and practicing her magic 3 months after her mother and grandfather are murdered. In this stage of her life she appears to be Cinderella. Trapped indoors doing chores, being mistreated but having an opportunity to wonder out and practice magic in secret. I don't suspect she gets much if any exposure to other magic users during this time in order to gauge and understand how powerful her abilities actually are. At least until she had already been sent out to the academy where she starts realizing she's not normal compared to her classmates. Before this Mile's could have made the logical guess that she's weak because she's young, barely started studying magic & wished to be "average" so there would be people stronger than her who could do her harm and kill her if her father wished for it.

Moving forwards to her Academy year when she accidentally mentions her family ties to her soon to be friends she has a "Haha, associating with my family would be really awkward" tone rather than vibes of fearing for her life. She starts understanding where she stands in terms of power but associating with her family is not worth needing to be in alert of death every day since for all she knows shes not invincible, just highly strong. If her father can't get rid of her by sending her off or killing her then marrying her off would be the next option which she obviously wouldn't like. Once she has friends and the comfortable lifestyle she wanted it gives even more reason not to associate herself with her family in order for it remain this peaceful.

Flash forwards to more present events I believe she's secretive about her past and upbringing to hide all the abnormally in her life and not freak out or alert others of how weird (personally in a good way) she is. The goddess event, past in-family murders and being an op classmate. Not really fearing for her life (as we see when confronted with Golems and other hazardous situations) but rather wanting not to add any abnormalities into her lifestyle like having to explain to a friend "Oh don't worry, that was just an assassin my farther hired to kill me. Happens every week."
Nov 5, 2019 7:31 PM

Jan 2013
Kimurah said:
Then again, if you understand the basics of empathy you should understand that a cold response like Pauline & Mile is far from being right and it would enfuriate the one telling the story

I was attached and saddened by Reina's story and would have personally (as if I were the one telling the story) have liked a "better" response from Mile's and Pauline.

However placing aside the likelihood their lack of reaction was meant for laughs (by the viewer) & my personal wishes for them to have given an emotional reaction, I feel that within context their response could work.

These four have been together for more than half a year, learning from and entrusting their lives to each other during their quests after graduating. It may be a short time and their lack of response would still be considered harsh but it could be valid from the perspective of them being close enough not to need to BS a reaction for the other if it didn't truly come to them at the time. They were processing what Reina shared, the reason she chose to risk the live of all four along with thinking about Reina's possible ideal of murdering "bad" guys and their involvement in it. There was more to think about than just "Awww, you've been through a rough time". They also went on to share personal information that no other person may have heard about themselves so it wasn't a hard-stop "this doesn't concern me" situation, Reina sharing affected them and allowed the rest to share their own struggles and troubles as well for everyone to become closer.

While in normal situations this isn't normal behavior, within this forced fictional situation it work out to develop into something more.
Nov 5, 2019 8:27 PM

Oct 2010
The others backstories were hilarious XD

Reinas own was so sad :( Her poor father and past comrades, she must’ve been enduring it for so long. I would’ve naturally went to the path of killing all the bandits in that area.
Nov 5, 2019 10:54 PM

Jun 2008
I mean I guess it was largely accurate this time but way too truncated to leave much impact. There was probably an entire volume's worth of material in this one episode.

Also, it's supposed to be Adele's stepdad who had her mom killed. Her original father had already been killed off, so she ends up living with stepparents and a stepsister.

I wonder if I would like this more had I gone in blind.
Nov 6, 2019 12:06 AM
Oct 2016
Mica-Chan10 said:
I was attached and saddened by Reina's story and would have personally (as if I were the one telling the story) have liked a "better" response from Mile's and Pauline.

However placing aside the likelihood their lack of reaction was meant for laughs (by the viewer) & my personal wishes for them to have given an emotional reaction, I feel that within context their response could work.

These four have been together for more than half a year, learning from and entrusting their lives to each other during their quests after graduating. It may be a short time and their lack of response would still be considered harsh but it could be valid from the perspective of them being close enough not to need to BS a reaction for the other if it didn't truly come to them at the time. They were processing what Reina shared, the reason she chose to risk the live of all four along with thinking about Reina's possible ideal of murdering "bad" guys and their involvement in it. There was more to think about than just "Awww, you've been through a rough time". They also went on to share personal information that no other person may have heard about themselves so it wasn't a hard-stop "this doesn't concern me" situation, Reina sharing affected them and allowed the rest to share their own struggles and troubles as well for everyone to become closer.

While in normal situations this isn't normal behavior, within this forced fictional situation it work out to develop into something more.

Personally I think it's a mix of "#relatable but really?" and "de ja vu". They weren't (shown to be) dismissive of Reina's past, but it does feel like for all intents and purposes for Pauline and Adele/Mile, her response to her situation was shallow. It also helps in this case that these four have been friends and swore to each other; they've been opening up to each other into this very situation, something they weren't even willing to disclose 6 months ago.

If for example, two friends revealed to each other than both their parents got killed in some undisclosed similar incident, but one of them (Friend A) swore a oath of revenge while the other (Friend B) took it upon himself to improve his situation and make the most out of a bad hand, Friend B wouldn't be able to react sympathetic to Friend A's situation, simply because there's no room for sympathy. It's a "Yeah, we've all been there, but your way of doing things moving forward is kinda wrong." kind of thing

For Friend B, what's more important isn't just Friend A's backstory, it's the moving forward part.

(It's also important that for Mile, her original world had a loving family and sister, while in the new world she's almost doomed into a forced political marriage after life at school. She didn't have any inkling of hesitation leaving her school life and friends.)
ronelm2000Nov 6, 2019 12:12 AM
Nov 6, 2019 12:35 AM

Apr 2009
To me Mile and Pauline's reaction is a reminder to audience that this show is lighthearted not all about revenge like Goblin Slayer. You now know why Reina loses her cool with bandits but she is not just that.

I am really enjoying this show even though I spoiled the plot by reading the manga.
Nov 6, 2019 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
Had to double back and make sure I was watching the right show for a second there, didn't see all the dark backstory coming, lol at Mavis.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 6, 2019 12:15 PM

Oct 2018
Thread Cleaned
Baiting and derailing posts removed.
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
Nov 6, 2019 2:06 PM

Sep 2008
I think this is what they call a butchered adaptation and this episode is the prime example of that. I don't understand the reason why they decided to compress and mix the events of the light novel but this storytelling don't make too much sense (it's like Arifureta in that regard).

It's not really a story-heavy LN, well... it's kind of an relaxing adventure type of story. but they managed to fail to convey that feeling too.
Nov 6, 2019 2:30 PM

Apr 2018
Poor Mavis :( She's still the best even without a special backstory <3

Nov 6, 2019 4:13 PM

Jul 2017
What a backstory episode, I mean literally it says in the title.

For Reina, getting her dad killed by mundane bandits just feels about wrong, for someone as tragic as her. But it's more than just nightmare for days. Tragically, it didn't affect Mile and Pauline, but Mavis instead.

For Pauline, it's the same as Reina, but rather than a family killed, it's a family abandoned. I swear that her tantalising smile still reeks...

For Mavis, it was definitely a stark comparison to the others, simply just by running away from home. IS THAT ALL???

And last but not least, reincarnation IS NOT A TOPIC for them, but Mile knows it all too well. That water spirit...am I seeing Silver Surfer (from Fantastic 4)? Surely it can't be just a reference...
But one thing's for sure...her OP powers STILL don't fare well for her to an extent.

Everyone has their own share of burdens from their past, that's certaín. With that, the establishment of the Crimson Vow is further solidified.
Nov 6, 2019 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
ronelm2000 said:
If for example, two friends revealed to each other than both their parents got killed in some undisclosed similar incident, but one of them (Friend A) swore a oath of revenge while the other (Friend B) took it upon himself to improve his situation and make the most out of a bad hand, Friend B wouldn't be able to react sympathetic to Friend A's situation, simply because there's no room for sympathy. It's a "Yeah, we've all been there, but your way of doing things moving forward is kinda wrong." kind of thing

For Friend B, what's more important isn't just Friend A's backstory, it's the moving forward part.

Your example explains it well and I fully agree, the important part is the affects Reina's past had on her & guiding her away from that slippery slope or at least being direct about not going along with her plans to kill other humans.
Nov 6, 2019 9:50 PM

Jul 2016
Nefregar said:
Am I the only one who saw a Hyouka reference there?

Such a low quality reference, by the way xD Considering how mesmerizing the original scene was... I did appreciate it tho.
Nov 6, 2019 10:04 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, so many dead parents in one single episode...

And by the way, this might be the first and last time I will ever see a "Hyouka" reference so I will be sure to cherish this moment.

Decent to "good" episode overall. It was mostly alright although the transition between Reina and Pauline's dark backstories to Mavis and Mile's ones felt a bit odd. Not to mention also that Pauline and Mile's reaction to Reina's story was very off putting.
It honestly looked like a bad execution of dark humor but that moment would be my only complain. The rest of the episode was as entertaining as always.

P.S.: Oh shit! Mile wanted a pet which looked like a mix between Kero and Pikachu xD
Nov 6, 2019 10:42 PM

Jan 2011
If that was the first volume stuff they skipped over then I'm glad they did.
Nov 6, 2019 11:33 PM
Oct 2016
ReaperCreeper said:
If that was the first volume stuff they skipped over then I'm glad they did.

Considering the content it would basically be a retreading of Episode 2, tbh, with a SECOND "Kid saved from being [Truck-kun]'d" scene ending it. That would be awkward af.

I'm glad the positioning of the First Arc is as is, even if it's "rushed" in some places. idk about you, but I may have just been so used to "rushed content" (the reality is that so many LN adaptations suffer from rushed content that LN adaptations that follow the source material correctly without skipping are an outlier) that it doesn't feel as rushed as it actually is. For example, Index S3 imho had rushed shit worse than this one.
Nov 7, 2019 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
Mica-Chan10 said:
ronelm2000 said:

Your example explains it well and I fully agree, the important part is the affects Reina's past had on her & guiding her away from that slippery slope or at least being direct about not going along with her plans to kill other humans.

why are so many people hung up with Mile/Pauline's reactions anyway?

they've been together long enough that they don't need to walk on eggshells with each other. if that was their reaction then that was their reaction. but why was that their reaction anyway? they told their backstories and really I can kiiiiiinda see where they're coming from. it's a stretch but I think that's enough for me. Mile/Pauline can just make up a closure as something as "I've been through worse, I get that you want revenge, but killing them is too merciful, you should torture them slowly and painfully" that works right?

edit:

"I've been betrayed by adults all of my time. It's always the adults. they are manipulative and self-serving. I get that you want revenge since I hate adults as much as you do if not more. but at the same time not expecting anything out of them, assume the worst of them, and only have surface-level interaction with adults, have resulted in a somewhat better life for me". much better.
kidlat020Nov 7, 2019 2:40 AM

Nov 7, 2019 7:35 AM

Jul 2017
Their reaction to Reina's sob story was priceless lol
Nov 7, 2019 9:05 AM

Jun 2019
Only mile's backstory that makes me laugh. LOL ahahaha
Nov 7, 2019 5:26 PM
Oct 2016
kidlat020 said:
"I've been betrayed by adults all of my time. It's always the adults. they are manipulative and self-serving. I get that you want revenge since I hate adults as much as you do if not more. but at the same time not expecting anything out of them, assume the worst of them, and only have surface-level interaction with adults, have resulted in a somewhat better life for me". much better.

Wrong series. That's Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls.

Reina's story can be summed up into a tragic revenge plot; she'd fit well with Goblin Slayer imo.
Nov 7, 2019 5:57 PM

Jan 2013
kidlat020 said:
why are so many people hung up with Mile/Pauline's reactions anyway?

Personally I was surprised by their reaction initially but moved on and enjoyed the rest of the episode right after. Reading two other people discussing it made me want to join in tho since I had something to say about it. I feel it's fine to talk about minor points if people have something to say about them, no harm generally.
Nov 8, 2019 8:14 AM

Aug 2016
DirectorK said:
Kimurah said:

Idk man.Millie's and Pauline's reaction felt way freaking insensitive to me.These people are suppose to be Reina's best friends.That level nonchalantness while Reina poured her heart out was just cruel, even if they had tragic past themselves.
The way they handled those tragic backstories was just disgusting and it completely ruined the moment.

I'm going say this was a case of really bad writing and mishandling.
Nov 9, 2019 4:55 AM

Oct 2007
HereticHunter said:
Oh, how utterly tragic, edgy backstories with weird tonal shifts just ruins it. I thought we had enough with Kanata no Astra, You can't just tell a tragic story and expect people to laugh by making their characters be insensitive about it, this is just offensive.

I usually appreciate when a JoJo reference happens, but this one was highly offensive as it was terribly executed without proper context, "Daga Kotowaru" isn't used like this. The writer behind this work clearly had no idea what it meant and just used it to look cool, either that, or Project No.9 ruined it.

1/10 for the effort

MegamiRem said:
The backstories were sad but the way the presented it is kinda meh. I mean they just turned it into comedy and I dun see any reason to do that. The stories would have left much bigger impact if they were presented well. Also Mile's story was a lot more hectic than I thought it would be.

glad I'm not the only one who thought the comedy attempt after Reina told her story is inapprppriate. The death of family and friends should not be made fun of. The writers have a sick brand of comedy.
Nov 10, 2019 12:11 PM

Mar 2018
Mavis has it pretty rough :p
{\_/}
(•~•)

{\_/}
( •-•)

{\_/}
( – _ -)
Nov 11, 2019 9:26 AM

Nov 2009
And the backstories, interesting.

Tho... I think Mile's backstory is suppose to be the "summary" of the "skipped chapters" that ppls mentioned back in episode 1 and the other thread.

Which just makes me think again... we really did miss out on a lot of funny parts of the story...

Her school life looked really fun to me, wanted to see her daily life with other 3 girls and learning school stuff...

___ ___ ___

As for the "reactions" to Reina's backstory...

Mile's already experience death, those that already went through death doesn't really find death all that shocking. Tho part of her reaction is cause she has Earth knowledge of "tropes" which Reina is part of one.

As for Pauline... we already know she's pretty much a "mastermind" type of girl, and to be a "mastermind" you can't have too much emotion, especially if you want to use others and even your friends for self-benefits. (this holds true for iRL, most rich people on this planet do this)

Mavis reaction is actually fairly "tropy" TBH, she one of those girls that gets emotional at anything sad. Mostly because she has a pretty normal life style and is still pretty innocent to a lot of stuff.

A normal person reaction is basically like what Miles said, a "we're sorry for your loss" type of reaction. But doesn't get too emotional and start crying waterfalls. Such as at funerals, you don't see everyone start to cry uncontrollably and start to hug each other... usually only the family members, everyone else just stands there with a sad face, that's it. That's the normal reaction to death.
amlgNov 11, 2019 9:41 AM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Nov 14, 2019 1:38 AM

Apr 2015
amlg said:

___ ___ ___

As for the "reactions" to Reina's backstory...

Mile's already experience death, those that already went through death doesn't really find death all that shocking. Tho part of her reaction is cause she has Earth knowledge of "tropes" which Reina is part of one.

As for Pauline... we already know she's pretty much a "mastermind" type of girl, and to be a "mastermind" you can't have too much emotion, especially if you want to use others and even your friends for self-benefits. (this holds true for iRL, most rich people on this planet do this)

Mavis reaction is actually fairly "tropy" TBH, she one of those girls that gets emotional at anything sad. Mostly because she has a pretty normal life style and is still pretty innocent to a lot of stuff.

A normal person reaction is basically like what Miles said, a "we're sorry for your loss" type of reaction. But doesn't get too emotional and start crying waterfalls. Such as at funerals, you don't see everyone start to cry uncontrollably and start to hug each other... usually only the family members, everyone else just stands there with a sad face, that's it. That's the normal reaction to death.

thanks for this. now it makes perfect sense. back when I was a kid attending at some relative's funeral I really want to burst out laughing at why is everyone serious and sad and all that. yes I'm one of those kids. it just doesn't feel right to me as it doesn't concern me (and it shouldn't).

Dec 31, 2019 10:38 PM

Aug 2018
This episode was super Awesome!
This was both funny & sad at the same time
Excellent Episode
Feb 24, 2020 5:35 PM
Aug 2017
DirectorK said:
Kimurah said:
I don't use the term "terrible" that often, but in this particular episode, it's completely justified.

The tone shift mixed with the bad self aware jokes takes the cake in this one. Reina's backstory is meant to be played as a tragedy, but it's so ridiculous that her life turns around in the same way twice (bandits) that it's hard to tell if it's meant to be something to emphatize or just laugh. It's like a cheap unfunny version of Simpson's Ship of Lost Souls. Other comedies have done this in a much better way by creating a buffer between tragic events and laugh out loud comedic situations, like Jungle Guu that gave one of the side characters a troublesome past that directly affects the main character, it's so well done because the tragic flashback isn't played for laughs, and there's a buffer zone before the laughs start coming again. Also it doesn't take just a portion of an episode (it actually takes a whole arc to tell the story and create a new story out of it)

Miles & Pauline's reaction to Reina's story also feels so out of place, she's opening her heart to what are supposed to be her best friends and them being insensitive and just playing it for a joke just make me shake my head.

Even as a comedy, stating that magic is produced by nanomachines, takes away some of the mysticism of using magic

Hope next episode it gets back on the horse on actual good comedy

I think you're being a little too critical on this.

Reina's story is indeed sad but considering the world that they live in and that both Miles and Pauline had gone through some tough shit as well, I say their reactions were pretty natural. Reina's story is likely a very common one considering that they also lost loved ones to robbers as well and that they, Pauline especially, had to take matters into their own hands. Now true, none of the other girls have ever killed anyone like Reina did, but it's not like they don't know where's she coming from. Pauline took it upon herself to restore her family's reputation after her mother went off the deep end, while Miles had to run away from her previous life after she accidentally a peaceful revolution of sorts in home country.

And like they said, what more needs to be said about Reina and her story? Revenge isn't going to bring her family back and they wouldn't have wanted her to become a merciless killer like a paid assassin or bounty hunter who makes a career hunting down and eliminating bandits and other criminals. It would just make everything they did for her pointless. In addition, killing someone isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if you're a civilian and not a soldier or assassins who are trained to do it. Once you kill someone it stays with you forever, and like drugs and alcohol it can become an addiction. It's like that line from the original The Magnificent Seven movie: "Once you begin, you've got to be prepare for killing and more killing. And then still more killing until the reason for it is gone."

So the point I'm trying to make is, while Reina's story is indeed sad, it no longer matters now. It's all in the past. Reina's companions right now are not her family from back then. Things are now different, and it won't happen again like last time.

Don't be stupid. Just how shallow is your thinking if you think that killing would become a habit because you start doing it? Also, are you so utterly unaware of the reality of the world they're in to understand that killing is not only a good option, it's actually a necessary evil. If you're a freaking retarded maniac, you would go ahead and keep on killing for no reason, like if you went insane from grief or whatever. But the point is that killing is the only way to make sure these horrible people don't do something a thousand times worse to other people. They'll continue raping, pillaging and killing, every single death after you let them go is on you. It's your fault.

Do you think things can be solved by showing off your power and talking bullshit? Sorry mate, this isn't a shounen manga. You have to kill, but you have to kill the RIGHT PEOPLE. It's doing yourself and doing the world a favor. No matter how many you have to kill, it's no issue, just make oceans of blood flow if necessary. Letting people like that go without killing them isn't kindness, it's simply pure stupidity. Makes me wish they go on to take revenge and kill one of her precious friends. Maybe she'll wake up from her little peaceful dream then.

This anime is incredibly stupid and the whole forced drama made it way worse. Not only did they dumb the anime down extremely much compared to the novel, they even had the gall to include the drama all of a sudden for no good reason. This completely conflicts with the clearly gag-type comedy it went with earlier. Lacking the world building of the novel, these tihngs feels forced at best. It's saddening that some people would find this to be good.

Also, the I wish they would stop the exceedingly stupid jokes that wasn't present in the novel. It's just juvenile to add in various cliché gags that everyone are sick and tired of by now. The whole "loli triggered because she's insecure of her breast size" is so overdone and old I wish the people who dared to pull that crap are fired immediately.

Seriously... Either keep it as a stupid gag comedy with nothing serious going on or go for the 50/50 of the novel, you can't have both, they clash too hard, the entire thing just becomes stupid.

Well, here's me hoping that they're done with the bullshit after forcing the edgy out of place backstory in. Just go for some mindless comedy now.
Feb 24, 2020 6:59 PM

May 2016
Seregosa said:
Don't be stupid. Just how shallow is your thinking if you think that killing would become a habit because you start doing it? Also, are you so utterly unaware of the reality of the world they're in to understand that killing is not only a good option, it's actually a necessary evil. If you're a freaking retarded maniac, you would go ahead and keep on killing for no reason, like if you went insane from grief or whatever. But the point is that killing is the only way to make sure these horrible people don't do something a thousand times worse to other people. They'll continue raping, pillaging and killing, every single death after you let them go is on you. It's your fault.

Do you think things can be solved by showing off your power and talking bullshit? Sorry mate, this isn't a shounen manga. You have to kill, but you have to kill the RIGHT PEOPLE. It's doing yourself and doing the world a favor. No matter how many you have to kill, it's no issue, just make oceans of blood flow if necessary. Letting people like that go without killing them isn't kindness, it's simply pure stupidity. Makes me wish they go on to take revenge and kill one of her precious friends. Maybe she'll wake up from her little peaceful dream then.

That is the stupidest thing I ever read.

So let me get this straight. You think the world would be better off if we just killed every single criminal who committed a violent crime without trial? What you're asking for is anarchy, and it's the same excuse that dictators use to gain power and control. There's a reason why law and order exist and it's to prevent people from taking matters into their own hands and becoming vigilantes driven by revenge. I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. When you cross that line, you're practically no different from those very criminals who put you there in the first place. You become the very thing you set out to destroy.

Let me make this very clear: Nothing good ever comes out of revenge. Nothing! You seem to be unaware of the fact that most criminals were once normal people themselves that ended up becoming criminals because bad things happened to them or the community they grew up was shit and they joined a gang partly because they thought it was cool but mainly out of desperation. Want an example? Look at Detroit. But whatever the circumstances they're still human and need to treated as such, even if they are notorious serial killers and/or rapists.

You should never resort to killing unless it is for self-defense. Stop the criminals, yes, but let the authorities deal with them after they've been captured. If you have to let them go, give them them a warning and make sure that they understand it so they'll think twice before resorting to their old ways again. Don't just kill them just because you hate them for what they did to you. That's only going to destroy you in the end.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Mar 1, 2020 3:43 PM
Apr 2018
pretty shit ep
especially the "ohh" reaction to the sad past of Reina made me hate the show.
Apr 14, 2020 1:37 AM

Jul 2015
I like how their pasts stories went from dark to comedic each time ....except Mavis...

Sep 23, 2020 5:14 AM

May 2015
Turns out I didnt need to skip the full episode lol. I love seeing how Pauline became evil with that evil expression. Like mother like daugther. I really like Mile's backstory too. That goddess thing XD.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 20, 2020 2:50 AM

Feb 2014
This was one of those moments where the "muh subversion" (which has become a cliche in and of itself) went full retard. It's one thing to subvert cliches, but making your characters act like a bunch of emotionless sociopaths just for a gag, was monumentally stupid. Even people who have gone through a lot of shit would be empathetic enough to not blatantly trivialize someone else's comparatively "minor" tragedy.
May 10, 2021 12:01 AM

Sep 2012
DirectorK said:
Kimurah said:

good explanation

+1

ronelm2000 said:
Mica-Chan10 said:

Personally I think it's a mix of "#relatable but really?" and "de ja vu". They weren't (shown to be) dismissive of Reina's past, but it does feel like for all intents and purposes for Pauline and Adele/Mile, her response to her situation was shallow. It also helps in this case that these four have been friends and swore to each other; they've been opening up to each other into this very situation, something they weren't even willing to disclose 6 months ago.

(It's also important that for Mile, her original world had a loving family and sister, while in the new world she's almost doomed into a forced political marriage after life at school. She didn't have any inkling of hesitation leaving her school life and friends.)

+1

@Kimurah @Raytheon_Thunder
what ronelm2000 says is also point on

this things are not as simple as u2 think

and second ya ppl take a comedy anime way 2seriously, +1 are for cause they just made good points

Sugram22May 20, 2022 12:55 PM
Jun 2, 2021 5:41 AM

Feb 2020
Reina's backstory was very tragic. Poor girl. It's still nice how the Crimson Lightning took such a good care of her.

Pauline's backstory was a bit sad as well.

Mavin's backstory was the most neutral, even though she lost her mother when she was young. She run away from home because she wanted to become a knight.

Mile's backstory was both sad and funny.

SerafosDec 10, 2023 12:38 PM
Jul 9, 2021 9:13 AM
Oct 2017
Never leave a bandit alive. Can't believe the pushback, ridiculous.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

125 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Mar 4, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2019

89 by Old_Fart_61 »»
Jan 11, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2019

89 by Old_Fart_61 »»
Jan 11, 7:18 PM

» Where do I pick up the light novel after the anime?

neil - Dec 23, 2019

8 by abyss_will »»
Dec 12, 2023 11:22 AM

» will this ever get a second season?

go1d1eaf - May 22, 2021

17 by NiQ1 »»
Oct 4, 2023 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.