Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 26, 2017 5:15 AM

Nov 2013
I thought he was gonna kiss her head, but he burned her hair! Dude doesn't pull any punches with a girl!
Jun 26, 2017 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
A good end of the season, many answers are given, perhaps too many, it was better if some situation was left out, just to stay in line with the previous season. The clash between Benten and Nidaime was short, but quite satisfactory for the pupils in my eyes. At first I was skeptical of this new season, but in the end PA Works did an excellent job on this series. I hope that one day arrivals also a third season.

For now my vote is 8/10.
Jun 26, 2017 8:47 AM

Aug 2015
Tokoya said:
Jack said:

It's not a manga but an actual novel, but so far the anime has adapted everything released but there is another book that will be released this year/2018 so if this show is a financially successful I'd expect a third season in three or four years.

What do you think of the idea that the woman who the Nidaime was in love with in his past is actually Benten's mother but Akadama stole her away and had Benten with her? Would explain the similar appearance, why Benten has tengu powers, and why Akadama wants Benten to stick around him.
That's a really nice theory

The thought of Benten being her reincarnation or descendant always occurred to me as I was watching it but man I never thought about it like THAT

Especially seeing as what they could do with it in a third season, I'm excited if there's another season announced in the future.
Jun 26, 2017 9:50 AM

Jul 2014
Though I must say that I am not sure about Akadama's message to Nidaime. Dude doesn't need to be stronger - he can summon flame tornados and weather-control them afterwards as he is. But maybe he needs a more supportive father. (I know it probably was about emotional strength, still it sounded empty. Nidaime seems to be pretty strong since he was able to survive for a long time alone in a foreign country, even if he is clearly troubled.)
Jun 26, 2017 10:25 AM

May 2016
loved the fight scene especially when benten loosen up her bite the moment nidaime tries to put his hand around her waist and trying to kiss her,
but that burn-her-down scene was too much for me tho

i wouldnt mind for another season focused around these two, matter fact please let me have it!!!
Jun 26, 2017 1:53 PM
Mar 2016
Finally Yasaburo decided to marry Kaisei someday. The most I waited moment since first season is their marriage, but I only got that.
Congratulations for Yaichiro & Gyokuran's marriage.
Jun 26, 2017 2:01 PM

Sep 2014
Uchouten s2 is over and I can't help but say that I'm stunned. It made me smile, it made me laugh, it made me feel sad, happy, comfortable or awe - sometimes switching from one to the other in a matter of seconds. Everything from the characters to the story-writing to the soundtrack to the animation was quirky and eccentric. It felt always fresh and would always bring something new to surprise me but I never felt they pulled anything out of their ass. Everything was well set-up and fitting. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this anime, it doesn't get much better than this. 9/10 and serious AotY contender. It will be hard for any show to beat that for me.

As for the final episode:

The fight between the Nidaime and Benten had some cool action and sakuga. I also loved how it ended, with both of them crying because they lost their most precious value in their lives: Nidaime lost all his collected belongings and Benten lost some of her self-esteem.

The last scene with Kaisei and Yasaburo and later the grandma was just adorable. Finally they made up their mind. What a great way to end the series. :)
Jun 26, 2017 2:22 PM

Jul 2015
THE SHIP HAS SAILED AND IS GOING STRONG. A great conclusion to a great anime that will stick with me for years. I couldn't forget about this anime if I tried, and I'm fine with that. This was great, a little hurt about what happened with Benten, but she kind of played the role of a villain, so I'd say she kind of got what was coming. Anyway, I think this was a masterpiece. 10/10.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 26, 2017 6:11 PM

Oct 2013
I don't like Benten at all. Probably coz she's kinda enjoying practically everything. I enjoyed the setback she got from Nidaime.

As for Nidaime, I hope to see more of him.

I can see Yajiro with Seiran though. LOL.

All in all, my favourite anime of all times. 9/10.

Jun 26, 2017 7:08 PM
Sep 2014
The plot really weird and messed up..

Nidaime fighting benten was pretty awkward..
Im curious how they would fight with each other as in previous episode they only crashed with each other and then theres an explosion with smoke, resulting in benten fell down losing without proper way to tell how did nidaime won (did he punch her? did he kick her? HOW??).
When we finally see their fight without smoke, it just finish with some catfight with fire involved, pretty underwhelming.

Also Nidaime suddenly sulking on the floor holding bottle like drunkard after the train hit his house.. WTF with this sudden change out of nowhere??
And then he proceed to burn his house himself and later crying seeing his house burned down (WTF??).

All of this doesnt make sense at all.
Really, fortunately the aesthetic side keeping me to watch this how to the end.
5/10 for the plot for me.
9/10 for the aesthetic
Kyoto looks pretty in this anime.
not_hypocriteJun 27, 2017 7:39 PM
Jun 26, 2017 8:38 PM

Jun 2012
Citruswarrior said:
I love the soundtrack of Grandma White Fluffy.

This. Grandma Fluffy was one of the best parts of the second season.

I need more closure, I hope theres a 3rd season someday.
Jun 26, 2017 10:02 PM

Mar 2013
Tanmaya and Souun get sent to Hell.

Nidaime vs Benten again, but it was more of an emotional cat fight: hair-pulling, biting, lighting stuff on fire (and hair) xD lol
We got to see them at their weakest-- battered, frustrated, depressed. Completely different then their normal selves.
Reveals the reason why Nidaime despises Benten-- she looks like the girl he loved, who left him, when he was fighting with Akadama all those years ago.

Yaichirou and Gyokuran are married :3

Anyways, I liked this series overall. It was interesting and fun (^o^)
If a third season is coming in the future, will watch.
KilikcliaJun 26, 2017 10:09 PM
Jun 27, 2017 5:09 AM

Oct 2015
Hah, Kaisei x Yasaburou for real now? Nice. Overally a great sequel to a great anime, still liked the first season a bit more though
Jun 27, 2017 5:45 AM

Oct 2012
Go to hell you two!
Literally :P

Whoa Nidaime I thought tengu only control wind not flame
Nidaime is forgiven?

Benten's weakness is way too normal
I guess she's a girl afterall
What will happen to her now? I don't like Benten but still...
Also why did sensei didn't ask or at least talk about Benten at all?

Yasaburo and Kaisei is official now, thank you grandma xD
"Signature removed"
Jun 28, 2017 3:39 AM
Nov 2015
Kinda contrasting my experience with Season 1.
That one started low for me and totally exploded towards the end. This one made me so so so happy during the early part, cuz the effects of S1 still lingered. Then just tapered off in the last 2 eps.

Maybe the expectation of S1 is toooo large. Kinda like the case w Hibiki Euphonium 2.
Jun 28, 2017 3:46 AM

Jul 2010
An easy 10/10. I'm going to miss this show.
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Jun 28, 2017 1:50 PM

Sep 2015
Solid ending. Good sequel. Maybe a little rushed especially at the beginning of this episode. But tied up all its loose ends satisfactorily. Left some stuff open for future installments. Like Yajiro befriending the other family of tanukis. The Nidaime and Benten are both still kind of left in limbo. Even though they've both learned something and their conflict has come to an end. For now. I liked the aftermath of their fight. The Nidaime losing some of his cockiness. And Benten moping around all depressed. It provided a lot of closure with little effort. Especially after that nuts fight scene.

I guess the big thing is Tenmaia and Suou continue to lurk in the shadows. The part where they turned on each other and got dragged to hell was really cool. Gyokuran and Yaichirou finally get married. That was cute. And after accepting he's not enough for Benten. The story pairs Yasaburo and Kaisei together. In an idyllic adventure continues ending, Which directly mirrors the flashbacks to Yasaburo's parents courtship in the first episode. I didn't expect them to ever end up together in the first season. But this season made me root for it. There's something nice about Yasaburo being happy finally, just being a tanuki.

And the way it framed their last big scene together. First with the back to back, then walking slightly apart. Was really nice and effective. Playing off all the episodes where she avoided him. I liked this second series a lot. I thought it kept the momentum and quality of the original going. Can't wait to revisit this world in another five years. Fingers crossed.
Jun 29, 2017 3:06 AM

Feb 2012
Yasaburo and Kaisei ship has sailed! I am happy with the ending! Grandma made it happen! Benten was just too much drama for yasaburo (too much baggage). He needs someone who's compatible with him like Kaisei,who is also carefree.

Hope there'll be a season 3 in the future
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jun 29, 2017 8:57 PM

Jun 2013
Jack said:

What do you think of the idea that the woman who the Nidaime was in love with in his past is actually Benten's mother but Akadama stole her away and had Benten with her? Would explain the similar appearance, why Benten has tengu powers, and why Akadama wants Benten to stick around him.

Was the first possibility I thought of.

Jun 30, 2017 6:28 AM

Oct 2008
nice season 2 episode ender...
We've seen Nidaime at his weakest in front of Akadame as well as Benten-sama's pitiful state...
sweet moments again with Yasaburo & Kaisei is also very nice!
4/5.
6/10.

Jun 30, 2017 8:32 AM

Dec 2013
Loved this season to bits. Even though the beginning and middle portions of the show were a bit more hectic than the first season, everything still came across in the end, and the incidents of the last two episodes was just as good as that of the first season.

Seeing Benten at her lowest was pretty painful, but that means she'll come back stronger in the third season. Also don't really mind Yasaburo and Kaisei together, though whether that will last, we'll have to see.... I like how Frog-bro found his girl too.

Cannot wait to see what the third season will bring.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 30, 2017 10:15 PM

Mar 2009
Man, I really love that Fluffy Grandma Tanuki.
"As long as you stay fluffy, it'll all work out." Wise words, to be honest.

Great end to a great show. Here's hoping for another season.
On a side note, I'd love to visit Kyoto one day. Looks like a wonderful and beautiful place.
Jul 1, 2017 3:51 PM

Feb 2008
All the endings this season have felt really good. Loved both the girls this season, Gyokuran and Kaisei involvement were key for the entertainment this whole second season. I also really liked how Nidaime and Benten were tied to the end, even if they both hated each other. Kind of want to know who was the real love interest of the Nidaime in London though.

The villains, Tenmaya and Soun were interesting and also important to see the best side of the four brothers. A great performance by Yaichirou this season. The grandmother was adorable. And I really hope Kaisei and Yasaburo live happily ever together making troubles to both humans and tanukis.

Great season. I would have liked to see more of Hell though, and also more of Soun. 8/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jul 2, 2017 11:51 AM
Oct 2014
Season Three please! I need closure for Benten-sama, I want to watch Yajirou have adventures with hole-girl, and to see Kaisei and Yasaburo grow as a duo. Akadama-sensei and the Nidaime seem to have forgiven each other ("Are you frustrated? Then become stronger.") but I'd like to see that conflict come to a more clear resolution, another scene where familial love and tengu pride mix. Perhaps he gives the Nidaime the fan? Idk. It's why we need the third season!
"The only thing I still write is a list of people I'll never forgive" - Hikigaya 8man
Jul 2, 2017 9:38 PM

Sep 2011
Excellent show all around, had a blast even though I do feel like the Soun conflict was a bit rushed in its conclusion, everything else about this episode I absolutely adored. I was going to give this an 8 but the epilogue kind of sold just how much fun I had with this wonderful show so fuck it I'm going with a 9/10. The final scene with Kaisei and Yasaburou was a fitting "end" for those characters cause it really represents the biggest change in Yasaburou, he's a character who is always living fighting responsibility and fate put on him in an attempt to live life freely. But in reality that free way of thinking was not only a danger to himself and also others, then to make it even more insulting his actions were not able to change fate to his ideal scenario. This ending shows him growing up more than any part of the show has, he has accepted that he's not the one for Benten nor that his defiance to responsibilities can actually fully shape his future at least without repercussions, potentially for innocents other than his own. Him accepting Kaisei as a wife represents him accepting fate and not living a life so carelessly.

Also I genuinely don't get how there are still Benten apologists, like take the shipping glasses off but she is kind of nothing but harm to Yasaburou and even then shes just kind of a spoiled brat, Nidaime really showcased just how immature she truly is when not in the position of power and can hopefully grow as a person from here on out now that shes no longer the top of the chain. The tragedy in her character is that she used to be a kinder sweeter person in the past but I think a lot of people have neglected just how much wrong she has done in this series. Like there's only so much showing sadness for her actions can do if she still goes through with doing them for selfish reasons. Benten represents the danger of living with nothing but free will on her mind like how Yasaburou was trying to live his, which is probably why he fell for her as much as he did. But her ignored responsibilities only led to her damaging all around her for her own selfish deeds. Her getting with Yasaburou, in the state she is now at least, would completely devalue Yasaburou's entire character development through the series of accepting responsibilities. Hell to add even worse insult to injury her getting a free pass for all the stuff she does would really just harm the series overall. Nidaime basically redeemed one of the shows biggest risks in damaging itself by giving Benten a route to improve as a person by at least showing the possibility of touching the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe in another story where Benten would develop more gradually as a person could a romance with her would of been a good thing to give to Yasaburou, but I cannot see how anyone can look at her actions throughout the series especially if we look at how it's progressed since S1, and deny that she has morally gotten worse since episode 1 of the first season. She isn't a heroine that should be seen in some extravagant light as her carefree attitude made her seem, she's a child hidden beneath an aura of extravagance that slowly dissipates the more Nidaime destroys the perfect life she forcefully tried to maintain. Thematically every way I try to look at a possible Benten/Yasaburou romance would only dramatically devalue the show's overall themes and plot. So much of the series messages and themes are all so consistent with Yasaburou not getting with her.
JizzyHitlerJul 2, 2017 10:01 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 3, 2017 2:21 AM

Apr 2016
So season 2 was epic, now all that's left is to wait for season 3.
Jul 3, 2017 11:13 AM
Jul 2017
Great development for yasaburo throught out this season he finally accepting responsibilities as tanuki

When all tanuki surrounding nidaime, i guess its not nidaime who hiding behind the tanuki, but its tanuki who searching protection to nidaime since they are overwhelmed with fear for benten (benten called nisaime coward for provoking him) and why nidaime sit down with beer, maybe its for calming himself for not losing his shit

Nidaime itself really nemesis for benten, he beat her in her own game, benten try seduce him twice,, she failed and challenge him to the battle twice, still failed.

With nidaime presence , finally i get some little exposure to benten character, she is spoiled brat who being bitchie if cant get what she want

For nidaime word 'i will not become tengu' maybe (just maybe) have some connection for this info from wikipedia about tengu : The tengu of this period were often conceived of as the ghosts of the arrogant, and as a result the creatures have become strongly associated with vanity and pride. Today the Japanese expression tengu ni naru ("becoming a tengu") is still used to describe a conceited person.

Overall great season, its perfect set up for third book (season 3 if we lucky)

Sad this series not get many attention...
Jul 4, 2017 1:41 AM
Aug 2015
HelpMeFindAnime said:
What the hell is this ending? Why force the Kaisei x Yasaburo ending..... He was far better off with Benten, and i really liked their relationship. Kaisei is just a tsundere, and not in a good way. Idk why but i never really warmed up to her, nor did she have as much screen-time and backstory as Benten so i really dont understand why.

Also i can see that they will have a Benten x Nidaime ending, which is once again complete and utter trash.

Yasaburo x Benten would be so much more dynamic, with the way they behave..... but oh well, guess we´re having the same shit happen to this as we had to Seikaisuru Kado.... What a way to spoil and entire 2 seasons worth of build-up. The ending really brought it down for me, since as i said it basically made a U-turn on the whole series...... meh 7/10

I totally agree. It was so forced. The marriage, the letter to kureichirou, grandma, ect... plz a fucking classic loli tsundere. Come on. A classic loli vs a badass original complex character like Benten.
Okay maybe between yasaburou and benten it's not love. Maybe. But plz, a classic loli. In that case don't do a ship. During two season, in term of "love", Yasaburou don't give a shit of Kaisei...
The rest is fantastic, i give easily a 8/10 or 9/10. But the ending is just disappointing.
LaNarineJul 4, 2017 1:51 AM
Jul 4, 2017 8:56 PM

Sep 2011
LaNarine said:
HelpMeFindAnime said:
What the hell is this ending? Why force the Kaisei x Yasaburo ending..... He was far better off with Benten, and i really liked their relationship. Kaisei is just a tsundere, and not in a good way. Idk why but i never really warmed up to her, nor did she have as much screen-time and backstory as Benten so i really dont understand why.

Also i can see that they will have a Benten x Nidaime ending, which is once again complete and utter trash.

Yasaburo x Benten would be so much more dynamic, with the way they behave..... but oh well, guess we´re having the same shit happen to this as we had to Seikaisuru Kado.... What a way to spoil and entire 2 seasons worth of build-up. The ending really brought it down for me, since as i said it basically made a U-turn on the whole series...... meh 7/10

I totally agree. It was so forced. The marriage, the letter to kureichirou, grandma, ect... plz a fucking classic loli tsundere. Come on. A classic loli vs a badass original complex character like Benten.
Okay maybe between yasaburou and benten it's not love. Maybe. But plz, a classic loli. In that case don't do a ship. During two season, in term of "love", Yasaburou don't give a shit of Kaisei...
The rest is fantastic, i give easily a 8/10 or 9/10. But the ending is just disappointing.
complaining about Kaisei being a tsundere is kind of a null point when Yasaburou is the same archetype of a tsundere too. Also you greatly missed alot of the stellar character interaction and subtext if you think Yasaburou just randomly started liking kaisei. Theres a reason every time they argue it would always come back to him being upset that she wouldnt show herself to him.

Benten to him is an example of who he wants to be, a free spirit who does whatever they want regardless of the responsibilities others put on them and especially what fate decides. But the whole point of Yasaburou's development this season is the realization that this isnt the right way to live and how much harm it can bring onto others in addition to realizing he isnt what benten wanted nor truly needed no matter how much he'd try. Kaisei represented what he previously hated which was fate deciding his course in life in way of their arranged marriage. But what Kaisei truly represents in the end is growing up and accepting responsibility. Its symbolic of how benten whom Yasaburou chased after most the show is the direct cause of many of the cast's suffering and conflicts including his own where as Kaisei was the girl who went out of her way to try and protect them even at her own risk. Yasaburou got to see front and center how his stubborness to fight responsibility hurt others with the big moment being finding out about why kaisei was hiding this whole time.

Call it getting a wake up call to appreciate something you took for granted. Yasaburou and kaisei both mutually cared about the other they just try to find reasons not to, but again thats because Yasaburou is a archytype of a tsundere, the same one kaisei is. To repeat a previous point, theres a big reason almost if not every interaction Yasaburou has with kaisei comes directly back to fustration that she hasnt shown himself to her and why "coincidentally" they get together after she does reveal herself to him.
JizzyHitlerJul 4, 2017 9:01 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2017 12:45 AM
Aug 2015
JizzyHitler said:
LaNarine said:

complaining about Kaisei being a tsundere is kind of a null point when Yasaburou is the same archetype of a tsundere too. Also you greatly missed alot of the stellar character interaction and subtext if you think Yasaburou just randomly started liking kaisei. Theres a reason every time they argue it would always come back to him being upset that she wouldnt show herself to him.

Benten to him is an example of who he wants to be, a free spirit who does whatever they want regardless of the responsibilities others put on them and especially what fate decides. But the whole point of Yasaburou's development this season is the realization that this isnt the right way to live and how much harm it can bring onto others in addition to realizing he isnt what benten wanted nor truly needed no matter how much he'd try. Kaisei represented what he previously hated which was fate deciding his course in life in way of their arranged marriage. But what Kaisei truly represents in the end is growing up and accepting responsibility. Its symbolic of how benten whom Yasaburou chased after most the show is the direct cause of many of the cast's suffering and conflicts including his own where as Kaisei was the girl who went out of her way to try and protect them even at her own risk. Yasaburou got to see front and center how his stubborness to fight responsibility hurt others with the big moment being finding out about why kaisei was hiding this whole time.

Call it getting a wake up call to appreciate something you took for granted. Yasaburou and kaisei both mutually cared about the other they just try to find reasons not to, but again thats because Yasaburou is a archytype of a tsundere, the same one kaisei is. To repeat a previous point, theres a big reason almost if not every interaction Yasaburou has with kaisei comes directly back to fustration that she hasnt shown himself to her and why "coincidentally" they get together after she does reveal herself to him.
i
Thank for your analyse, i understand better. But not change my opinion on her.
Jul 5, 2017 3:22 AM
Jul 2017
LaNarine said:
HelpMeFindAnime said:

I can understand in tsundere part, they always win that piss me off too (but since the development and storytelling in this series was great i can accept it) but in 'loli' part i think dont too deceived by their human appearance, its just their transformation, in the end of the day they all was tanuki, the show itself point it that they are 'furball'
If kaisei want she can transform into hot adult lady or she even can transform become benten but well like i said before they are tanuki in the end of the day, so judging kaisei because of 'loli' is just like make 'human and tanuki' was the same in the series....

erouchanJul 5, 2017 3:45 AM
Jul 6, 2017 4:59 AM
May 2013
I'd want it to be that Benten is actually Nidaime's granddaughter, since his past love from 100 years ago was already pregnant before she left in the past.

I'd like Yasaburo to remain single his whole life becoming a legendary tanuki

Season 3 2019 please
Jul 13, 2017 10:02 PM

Jan 2014
Decent end to the season, but I won't lie, the Tenmaya/fake Kureichiro plotline felt like it was wrapped up far too quickly and anticlimactically. Which is a problem, since it ended up being the "main" plotline. Not to mention that after all the build-up we had to it, in retrospect, Yasaburo and Kaisei being trapped by the Friday Fellows should have been a much bigger deal than it was. The Nidaime and Benten stuff was handled pretty well, though. And that last scene with Yasaburo and Kaisei was adorable.

Overall, this season was good, but not as good as the first. Definitely not as well-structured, and looking back it shows (what was the point of that magic shogi board? could have been cut entirely). I also am not crazy about Soun having faked his death, considering that his death scene was possibly the best scene in the entire show, and now it's nearly meaningless.

I still love this show, but I have to admit they could have done much better.
Jul 14, 2017 3:30 AM

Jul 2013
As much as I love Benten and Yasaburo's relationship, I'm not surprised that he's going for Kaisei instead. It makes sense and it probably wouldn't be entertaining if they actually ended up together. Still hurts to see the ship sink like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loved this season though and look forward to season 3 whenever it comes out
Jul 15, 2017 4:04 PM

Oct 2012
The perfect ending for average series, at least they managed to deliver in the end. At least he ended with Kaisei as it was hinted before as they are really made for each other, I'm kinda glad.

Sadly, I cannot really recommend this season as most of the previous episodes were quite random with overuse of cliffhanger hell. Tenmaya was the worst case villain and even when the real one being Soun was nice twist, I honestly can't shake the feeling the first season was a lot better.
Better at world-building, characterization and even whole story did flow a lot, lot better. This time, it felt like they just run out ideas and were running in circles.

Until last two episodes or so, Nidaime was joke of the character and Benten was reduced to bitter and pathetic version of her old greatness. She was no longer the femme fatale she should have been and that's quite bad in my book.

5/10 If not for the two really great ending episodes this would actually be a lot lower.
Jul 18, 2017 12:46 AM
May 2013
another season gone and more loose ends about Benten's story. still, the last couple episodes really ramped things up and it was a great finale. i hope if there's ever a 3rd season that they fix some of the pacing issues that plagued this season.
Aug 4, 2017 10:11 PM

Aug 2012
-i see benten has actually embraced the fact that she's a frigid bitch this time
-nice going yasaburo
-oh hey is the painted world gonna make another appearance
-X
-nani the fuck is this
-yo these sounds though
-benten definitely fuckin deserved that, but that little scuffle was pretty underwhelming
-man this finale's turning out pretty lukewarm so far
-oh kinkaku and ginkaku coming in to save this episode from mediocrity
-real kureichiro seems pretty decent
-and as always, the exchanges between yasaburo and kaisei are always enjoyable
-not entirely sure about what caused akadama's change of heart
-grandma is so fluffy
-"stay fluffy"
-that's a lie yasaburo, you've only caused like one modicum of trouble this entire season

So basically the second season turned out to be a giant disappointment. The entire overarching conflict just ended up being resolved by Benten opening the painting of hell, and the ensuing battle was very visually lukewarm. In fact the entire first half of the episode just was a huge letdown. The episode on its own got a lot better when Kinkaku and Ginkaku showed up as their usual selves and when Kaisei got indoctrinated as part of the Tsuchinoko Expedition Squad or whatever the fuck it was called. I'm convinced that those three are the only characters that turned out to be interesting in the second season, and that definitely wasn't the case in the first season. Yasaburo definitely became less fun to watch as the second season went on for some reason, and pretty much everyone I liked in the first season had pretty negligible screentime in the second one. Nidaime kinda felt interesting when he was first introduced because of how he just fuckin threw Benten off his couch, but I don't really know what happened because toward the end he just felt like a stand-in. Speaking of Benten, I think she got way more screentime in this season than last season, but because she's so goddamn boring it just made the second half of the second season an entire slogfest. She didn't even get beat the fuck out at the last episode to the extent that she did in like episode 5, which really shouldn't be the case. The characters exclusive to this season pretty much had the same issue as Nidaime; they were pretty interesting when they first introduced, but slowly progressed to being more like stand-ins in the second half of the show.

In reference to the actual events of the second season, I just feel that there was a lot of missed potential with the painting of hell. The painted world inside it only showed up for one episode, and the presence of the onis could have been played up so much more than what ended up happening in the last episode. The whole Nidaime redemption subplot was also substandard in the way it was "resolved", which is a shame because it was a pretty large point of contention in episode 9. Even Soun's whole master plot to become the Niseemon got totally trivialized by the red hand of fate dragging his ass back to the spirit world. Now that I think about it, that was such a blue-balled moment because he literally just found out Kaisei was shot by Tenmaya. It's really a shame, because Kinkaku and Ginkaku (well, maybe just Kinkaku) were at peak performance in episode 11. It's a shame those two were criminally underrepresented in terms of screentime while Benten was in pretty much every episode after her introduction.

I can really only think of one plot thread in this season that actually stood out to me in a positive manner, and of course that's Kaisei's and Yasaburo's marriage. In an ocean of mediocrity, all the scenes between the two were always a breath of fresh air. It also happened to be resolved in a manner befitting of the first season of the Eccentric Family, with the grandmother telling them to stay fluffy and fuck shit up. Other than the story elements in the past two paragraphs, all the events ranged from unmemorable to pretty standard.

In short, this show was a clear step down from the first season and it made realize that I might have given the first season too high of a score.

EDIT: i should mention that the OP and ED for the show were actually better than the first season's, and those might be the only thing for which this is true
ThreePercentAug 4, 2017 10:19 PM
Sep 10, 2017 4:32 PM

Jun 2013
I personally think that this season is overrated. I mean I enjoyed it but not as much as I enjoyed the previous season. And unlike the first season which had some story this just felt random. But I did enjoy the Shimogamo brothers and their bond even though their names confuse me sometimes. It's nice to see Yaichirou found his love. I also liked Kaisei and Yasaburou's interaction this season. But it's strange that people claim he likes Benten because I think he is just infatuated with her. Besides she sees him more as a plaything like a toy that she cares about and wants to eat so I doubt it will hardly progress to anything romantic.

Furthermore, I found Nidaime's backstory to be somewhat boring and not in relevance to the current events apart from his connection with Benten who resembles his lover. I also don't understand their vague and complicated relationship or it's importance to the plot. It might be explained later on in the novel but for now his presence just feels unnecessary. BTW are Tengus like superman or something because their power are so godly that it just feels absurd.
Nov 14, 2017 5:16 PM

Jan 2014
I'm slightly angry because I thought we'd finally get backstory on Benten, but not much was revealed between her feud with Mr. British. So Benten does have feelings for Yasaburo - interesting.

Also, I still don't know exactly why Yasaburo's transformation goes undone because of his now fiancee. Something with mushrooms, but that's all I got.

The uncle was pretending to be the son, and the son randomly appears in the last two episodes of the show which made it feel off somehow. I wish this show was one long running rather than broken up into seasons. It would have worked into its favor that way. Also, how did the uncle even fake his death? He was never buried or something? How does a corpse just go missing and no one notices?

Overall, I enjoyed it though.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 24, 2017 7:26 AM

May 2012
While a decent ending, I did still found this season quite lacking to be honest!
Dec 8, 2017 12:24 AM

Mar 2015
Yay for the Yasaburo x Kaisei thing at last!

Great season, really hope there'll be another one down the line!

9/10!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 23, 2017 12:14 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Felt like this anime blew up...in a sorta good way? I mean, it was relatively calm (and at times kind of boring and felt like it was going nowhere) for most of the episodes, then they do several plot twists (that tie back to the first season) at the very end. The Soun conflict and the Nidaime's conflicts started and ended somewhat abruptly, making me unable to collect my thoughts.

So did Yasaburo and the Akadama plan to have the Nidaime apologize? There was a scene that felt like they conspired something together.

I would give it a 7, but the last episode alone is enough for me to give it an 8.

I also enjoyed seeing Benten look vulnerable. She annoyed me most of the time.
Feb 2, 2018 10:20 PM
Jan 2013
just want to give an up to my fav <3
Mar 18, 2018 12:35 PM
Sep 2017
Benten and Yasaburo's dynamic is without a doubt more entertaining than Kaisei's w/ Yasaburo... but Benten is a piece of shit who ate his dad. Hopefully she interferes with Kaisei and Yasaburo's relationship a bit to make it interesting.

I felt like this season was weaker in the dialogue department, using a lot of stilted exposition to catch viewers up to speed early on. The characters are as great as ever though.

Hopefully Morimi-san will write another book for P.A. Works to adapt.
Aug 13, 2018 7:44 PM

Jan 2015
As good as the previous season! I hope we get a third one.
Sep 30, 2018 3:51 PM

Oct 2016
Personally, I felt that was a very satisfying ending.

I didn't see the twist coming at all, the fight btw Benten and Nidaime was probably underwhelming for most, but this series doesn't have to be good at depicting fights because that's not the shows focus, I found it to be just right (could've been more intense but like I didn't expect something spectacular). For what it was, everything played out neatly and all questions were answered.

I felt bad for Benten though.... as much as I would've wanted it to work btw her and Yasaburou she's someone who has no issue in eating tanuki.. which sucks because I really like the pair :/ if she really loved him, then I don't see why you would eat tanuki especially him. Also, both of them don't come across as the type of character you can like sit still with.. since they seemingly do things on the fly and as they please, whatever is interesting to them... I really do dislike that it just wouldn't work and that Yasaburou isn't who Benten needs as he states. I do get where it's coming from, as much as it sucks.

Kaisei and Yasaburou is just as right of a relationship in my eyes for various reasons having watched. Which might not seem that way given how much I wrote about Benten, but it's really about dead even with me, and I'm okay with everything wrapping up as it did, I just wish Benten had a happier ending since her and Yasaburou were pretty great together and there was care from Benten towards him after everything.

Hope Benten wouldn't end up with someone with less chemistry than her and Yasaburou have/had. I'd rather her be an almost OP lone wolf. (I say almost b/c she did lose a fight). But enough Benten ranting.

Very satisfying ending, I was very pleased to have watched this series. :)
Feb 4, 2019 2:15 AM

Dec 2017
HatsumiShinogu said:
Honestly, I didn't expect all this salt in the forums and that a lot of people would be dissatisfied with Yasaburo/Kaisei. Sure, Benten got more screen time than Kaisei but that still doesn't mean that she's the one Yasaburo should end up with. People need to remember that romance isn't a main focus on this series,

even if romance is the main foucs of the anime, Benten wouldn't still fit yasaburou.
Sep 16, 2019 4:05 AM

Nov 2009
Man, what a huge and pleasant surprise it was to see a solid and intense fighting sequence in a show that seems almost entirely character-driven!

But the most awesome thing about that fight was that fleeting moment when they came together almost like lovers, with him pulling her closer by the waist and her letting go of his arm that she was biting, slackening in his hold and raising her head to meet his, as if in anticipation of a kiss, and then... instead of planting a kiss, he blew fire on her hair and let go, letting her fall. WOW.

If I still had some miniscule doubts that she's completely smitten with him, there's none now. She's a prideful girl in love who has no idea how to make her crush pay attention to her other than provoke, antagonize and then provoke some more, and when that doesn't work and, worse, gets strongly rebuffed, it leaves her at a complete loss and hurting from both her aching heart and her wounded pride which is what we see at the end where her seemingly only friend, a tanuki, a creature lower than her on the totem pole and who she habitually threatens to eat, is the only one there for her to give her some comfort.

And it's a looooooooot more complicated on Nidaime's end, to boot. As far as I get it, he's physically attracted to her alright (which, in fact, caused the aforementioned lapse during the fight where he almost embraced her like a lover before booting her off hard), but the past traumas and her overlapping with the image, also not exactly painless, of his past love cause a strong rejection reaction and deep denial, not to mention all those other troubles that haunt him like the conflict with his father, the issue of succession, the deep philosophical questions about humans and tengu and their differences and points of contact between their worlds...

He's trying though, in his own way, at least trying to rip through the chains of the past binding him which is the reason why he chose to come back and get involved with Kyoto again, I think. And also the act of burning down his own house, half in the heat of the moment, probably the most painful of everything he's gone through so far in this season, so painful that it caused a mental breakdown in front of his father - at least that's how I interpret it, but truth be told, I'm not entirely sure why he broke down like he did at the end... unlike Benten, he didn't lose - couldn't lose. She kinda gave him a run for him money after her powerup from drinking that water stone for a time, but he clearly had more power from where it came, it was just being impaired by his raging emotions.

Well, one thing's for sure: if she wants him - and she wants him so bad - she's gonna have to abandon that worthless pride and work her ass off like never before on top of rebuilding her personality and world view from scratch to sort out and push through her own issues AND his hangups. It's so much work that one almost might wonder if it's really worth it...

As to the others... Well, I didn't care much for grandma's diabetis-inducing saccarine scene of showing up like some sort of white fluffy cupid to get Yasaburou and Kaisei together. Way too corny and eye-rolling, to be honest, especially for this show and its high standards. I don't know but to me it was kinda obvious that once Yasaburou saw with his own eyes and felt firsthand the sheer difference between his and Benten's leagues (or rather, worlds) and what kind of partner is in Benten's league (Nidaime, obviously, whose refinement, sophistication and sheer power set him apart not only by comparison with tanuki but also from the rest of tengu who seem kinda petty most of the time), he would have no choice but to finally give up the faint still smoldering hope and settle for the next best partner that was actually within his reach and from his own world of tanuki which is, obviously, Kaisei. Unlike Kaisei's many raving fans, I never really found her interesting or outstanding - just an average character I don't love or hate, so can't say I feel much in the way of that part of plot.

Overall though, I gotta say this season is better than the previous which was just a little above average (7/10) to me, precisely because there's such a strongly-written new character as Nidaime and a much needed turbulent conflict outside of the tanuki little scheming society happening not in the past but in the present and involving the show's most ambiguous, intriguing and at the same time most static character such as Benten and trying to break it and force changes onto it.

p.s. Ordered the two existing novels after watching this
CGSep 16, 2019 4:39 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 14, 2020 12:08 AM
Aug 2011
I still don't freaking understand why Benten was so generally "overpowered" though.
In season one she was more what I would consider believable and a lot of her screentime/power was more witty and more dialogue based than ~magical~, but here she has the ability to dive into essentially hell and back, and when she cries she freezes things because...?

Watching this entire series back-to-back also illuminated how subtle yet moving the first season was. I liked it when characters took their time to just exist and how surprisingly well fleshed out they were by even doing the slightest actions.
For example there was an episode where Yasaborou, Benten, and Yodogawa went to a park and Yasaborou was taking photos. That entire sequence had such a lovely nuance to it that I rarely found moments like that in this season.

On the more positive side I really liked the whole Yaichiro and Gyokuran development.
Some of the other loose ends as well such as Yasaborou speaking to his father. Previously we saw so much of him learning about his father's last days from other people but he finally had the chance for himself here and that was really nice.

The Nidaime and Benten fight took me by surprise as well. There was a lot of unresolved tension in that, that you could do an entire season focusing solely on the tengu side of things.

also a plus is that I finally got this out of my backlog after sitting there for over 1000 days
standApr 14, 2020 12:11 AM
Jun 25, 2020 8:31 AM

Apr 2020
So Yasaburou actually did like Benten but realized he wasn't good enough for her so he picks Kaisei? But Benten still liked him right? To me she just craves for attention.

I'm not surprised Nidaime's falling out with his father was over woman. It explained why he hated Benten so much.

Liked the addition of Gyokuran and the development of Kaisei this season. Yaichiro and Gyokuran's moments together were too cute.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

49 by Karva1 »»
May 12, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2017

66 by Karva1 »»
May 12, 6:19 AM

» Why this show is still overrated?

Misanthropian - Apr 25, 2017

45 by blinddig »»
Mar 10, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2017

51 by hanakocheeks »»
Feb 5, 2023 7:44 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2017

46 by hanakocheeks »»
Feb 5, 2023 7:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.