Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 6, 2008 10:36 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Batou's annoyed now that the Tachikomas are gone, and a person he looks up to broke the law :/
Dec 6, 2008 7:30 PM

Feb 2008
Wow, absolutely great episode. Probably one of the best episodes so far.
Dec 8, 2008 3:36 PM

May 2008
Just fresh from watching the Pacquiao Dela Hoya match, it seems to draw great parallels. The young and up and coming Pacquiao was able to easily clobber Dela Hoya whom he considered his idol like how Batou easily beatup his former hero and idol, Zaitsev.

Oh, and poor wife. Batou had to lie to her that he had his husband arrested. Great episode.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Jan 10, 2009 6:58 PM

Oct 2008
5/5, this was one hell of a kickass ep.
Apr 22, 2009 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
A badass episode,those weren't good days for Batou, and i knew something was wrong on the first fight against his idol. Anyway this one was full package of action.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 1, 2009 4:36 AM

Nov 2007
Wow, more insight into Batou, very interesting episode. Was it me or did the wife in his photo resemble the major a lot O_O?
Aug 5, 2009 9:20 PM

Jul 2008
so much for the tachikomas, they gone now. so batou goes undercover this time to get a boxer in the military; that pic of him and the major- rofl
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 19, 2009 9:08 AM
Apr 2008
Crimsonwill said:
Wow, more insight into Batou, very interesting episode. Was it me or did the wife in his photo resemble the major a lot O_O?

Yeah, I see the resemblance too. I'm enjoying the stand alone eps alot more. Reall good episode
Nov 16, 2009 9:45 PM

Apr 2009
Good episode. I really like anything that deals with Batou. Only problem is he seems to get really touchy about things, I think his reaction in the end there was a little too much.
Dec 13, 2009 1:43 PM
Dec 2009
kage-bunshin said:
so much for the tachikomas, they gone now. so batou goes undercover this time to get a boxer in the military; that pic of him and the major- rofl

Is that really the major? It's a little hard to tell.
Dec 16, 2009 11:44 AM

Oct 2009
poor Batou ;_;

Great episode though, easily one of, if not the best stand alone so far.
Apr 26, 2010 1:51 PM

Aug 2008
Was quite interesting.... to learn a lil' bit more about our heroes is not bad... I actually liked the episode because we learned that Batou actually has feelings... well we've seen that in a past episode, but this particular one confirmed that he actually admired someone.... he actually has more feelings than care and pride and respect... he can actually love and feel something even more difficult like love...

Poor Batou... he had to lie... he discovered that his big Boxing Hero is a no one and has wasted his life being a proxy for the Terrorists.... I'd be pissed... just as Batou was by the end of the episode... I guess Batou did good... He accomplished the mission so at least he has to be happy he has done so.... yet again... I guess he's the grumpy kind

Oh the photo was curious.... Was that Kusanagi? Nah that wasn't Kusanagi... or maybe it's she... I guess the animators are giving us something to suffer with hahahaha.... And the Tachikomas... are they really gone for good? I Doubts so... they're so good to be ignored and erased just like that.... Long Live the TACHIKOMAS!!!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2010 2:07 PM

Aug 2009
Batou is easily my favorite character on this show. Great episode!
Oct 18, 2010 10:32 PM

May 2010
What i want to know is who that kid!!! lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 17, 2010 10:38 AM

Mar 2009
Confucius said:
What i want to know is who that kid!!! lol

Probably Togusa's, considering the age and hair color. Unfortunately, it was probably a shop, since as cute as it was, I doubt either the Major or Togusa would consent to its taking just so Batou could pretend to have a family when undercover.

Agreeing with everyone else-kickass. Also unusual for this series in how focused it is, and the dosage and execution of drama.
Jan 21, 2011 3:20 AM

Sep 2008
yeah that picture and the wallet was part of his undercover disguise people :/ Batou does not have a family.

Anyways, one of the best episode so far.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 26, 2011 4:26 PM

Nov 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
poor Batou ;_;

I agree, a great episode, and I feel so bad for Batou. After what happened with the Tachikomas, he had to go and arrest someone he looked up to.
Jun 5, 2011 3:54 PM

Dec 2009
Yeah one of my favorite stand alone eps as well!
Such junk...
Aug 29, 2011 2:48 AM

Jul 2009
pretty sucks now that Tachikoma's are being sent to the facility for some reprogramming, his idol boxer was just a fraud who only wants money. heck the second i saw him scolding his wife for not using any expensive drink just shows his all about money.

feel sorry for her since batou had to lie to her. i wonder what would she feel when she found that her husband is just a criminal.

though the fight was intense. batou deliberately lose to let his opponent guard down,

i never knew batou had a wife and son. and yes she looks like major to me XD

all in all awesome episode :)
Nov 17, 2011 2:43 PM

Feb 2009
You could tell Batou was mad from the beginning... and then this case, the guy is gonna break if he doesn't open up to someone, I know how that can erode your mind =/

Character-driven episodes are the best.

PS: The fighting in this episode was absolutely amazing.
Dec 8, 2011 6:41 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode, probably one of the better stand alone episodes so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 12, 2012 5:47 PM

Jan 2012
I was wondering what he meant by "It was the same back then, I'm the one with the blind spot in my heart." Batou said that he was probably rusty and couldn't tell that Batou lost on purpose, but how would that have been the same when he lost the gold medal? Unless, it is implying that he lost the gold medal on purpose and he was paid off for it.

I have no idea, some of your guy's ideas could help clear this up for me.
Jul 23, 2012 6:37 AM

Feb 2012
Another good episode that didn't rely too much on technology. I can't help but notice that the less we see Motoko, the more I enjoy the show. I don't really find her annoying or anything, although I don't understand why she's supposed to be so awesome. Basically she's like a male character drawn like a female. Maybe it's the fact that they're making her a mystery by not giving us insight on how she really feels about anything, and that makes the focus of the stories she's a part of very different, more reliant on things I don't really care about like action and the novelty factor of the technology they're using.
Sep 10, 2012 2:11 AM

Jul 2012
xXC64Xx said:
JuicyBuddha said:
poor Batou ;_;

I agree, a great episode, and I feel so bad for Batou. After what happened with the Tachikomas, he had to go and arrest someone he looked up to.

Yeah and when Batou confronted him after he shot down the thugs he got really frustrated with his idol that he only cared about money when he had all that he needed. A loving wife and family.. I think that too was a reason he got so angry in the end. But as you say.. he was already in a bad mood after all he'd gone through. sobbing episode but truly a masterpiece!
I like to put my fingers on my midi-keyboard sometimes

https://soundcloud.com/huiyue
Oct 6, 2012 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
What a great episode! I knew Batou lost on purpose!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 18, 2012 9:54 PM

Apr 2011
Kusanagi + Batou, yes there are hints.
Oct 24, 2012 1:32 AM

May 2012
Another awesome episode.. was laughing soo hard when it was the Major's pic as the wife.. Haha...
Dec 22, 2012 11:19 AM

May 2012
Did they really removed the Tachikomas ;( I hope that they'll reappear though! The episode it self was rather slow but was decent enough, up to the next one!
Dec 22, 2012 7:11 PM

Jan 2012
Batou was really in a bad mood in this episode lol. Also I miss Tachikomas already.

Jan 1, 2013 1:41 PM

Nov 2011

Well, those were two good rounds of boxing and fighting this episode. Dat blindspots. Batou is the MAN!
Feb 28, 2013 1:16 AM

Jun 2008
ImLoopee said:
Crimsonwill said:

Yeah, I see the resemblance too. I'm enjoying the stand alone eps alot more. Reall good episode

That's because she is the Major. Batou doesn't have a wife or a kid. That was all part of his cover and the Major took that photo with him playing his wife.
May 27, 2013 3:55 PM

Feb 2012
People, the picture in his wallet and all of his identification is forgery for the purpose of an undercover assignment. He doesn't have a family to return to, a wife or a kid.

Which is why he is so pissed off at the end. He had to arrest a man who obviously blown his boxing career by faking a loss and getting paid for it. And this is a man that had a loving wife and a family to return to, something Batou doesn't - but he let it all go to waste over money and greed.

Think about the song the Tachikomas used at the beginning, it was about family taking second place to profit.

Gotta admit, I find Major in his fake picture a pretty funny scenario.
RoNin-87May 27, 2013 4:01 PM
May 29, 2013 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
Batou had amazing boxing skills. But now he feels very frustrated of the way people throw away their life because of their greed. Cant wait to see what happens in the next episode.
Always-HungryMay 29, 2013 3:01 PM
Jun 12, 2013 10:54 AM

Apr 2012
ImLoopee said:
Crimsonwill said:

Huh, i thought it was just a ploy, as in, he EXPECTED him to snoop around
Jun 15, 2013 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Unlike Motoko, Batou's character is a type sangiugno more, but should not be so because the idea is that machines can not feel emotions, but the episode seems to say just the opposite, again. In a sense, when I first saw GITS and do not yet know cyberpunk, seemed all Martians, especially seeing so far from being human, if we take as an example the eldest, his gaze and expressionless eyes wide in a at first they put me anguish and fear, but in hindsight, it is not so and even the android again in this episode is shown as a being devoid of emotion, just that you notice his facial expression when he enters in the study of Aramaki and Batou is! One can then imagine the discomfort of Batou against his idol, put yourself in his shoes! Then what about the melee! Superb!
Aug 18, 2013 5:29 AM

Dec 2009
RoNin-87 said:
People, the picture in his wallet and all of his identification is forgery for the purpose of an undercover assignment. He doesn't have a family to return to, a wife or a kid.

Which is why he is so pissed off at the end. He had to arrest a man who obviously blown his boxing career by faking a loss and getting paid for it. And this is a man that had a loving wife and a family to return to, something Batou doesn't - but he let it all go to waste over money and greed.

Think about the song the Tachikomas used at the beginning, it was about family taking second place to profit.

You summed it up pretty well.

An enjoyable stand alone episode. I wonder what the Tachikoma's will be like now.
Sep 1, 2013 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
RoNin-87 said:

Wow, never thought about that. Didn't think that would have lost for money.

Great eps and that picture with Major was pretty funny ^^.
Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.- Tifa lockhart
Which is it? A memory or us? -Tifa lockhart
Oct 2, 2013 5:13 PM

Aug 2010
Really liked this episode. My favorite so far. I'm hoping for more of these type of episodes.
Oct 5, 2013 2:18 PM

Oct 2013
Loving Batou's character much more now. Great episode.
Dec 18, 2013 9:01 PM

Aug 2013
Batou is so awesome. His boxing skill were pretty cool.

Poor him, having the duty to arrest someone that you admired... Such a shame that a guy like him would fall for spying.

The photo in the wallet made me laugh. I just pictured Batou and the Major having an awkward family photo with a kid they don't know xD

The boxer made a clever trap to Batou in his office, he almost falled for it.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 16, 2014 6:37 AM

Jan 2013
Batou is really an awesome character. :(
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 11, 2014 2:08 AM

Nov 2011
Batou while carrying out their work, feel a dissatisfaction dovutata perhaps the inability to understand the why of the choices made by third parties that have an impact on people and things, to him in a way linked by a thread of respect and affection.
So I wanted to play his dissatisfaction.
Not bad narration and dialogue.
Drawings and discrete animations.
Sep 27, 2014 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
All of these episodes that focus on Batou are really quite amazing.
Batou is a great character :)
Nov 23, 2014 10:31 PM

Jan 2013
Gosh, I feel so bad for Batou
Nov 25, 2014 9:54 PM

Sep 2014
Aww man did he really just waste an entire bottle of Medovukha? I was hoping he'd give it to Motoko or something LMAO
Feb 3, 2015 5:51 PM

Nov 2013
Batou :( I love how openly emotional he gets about things.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 12, 2015 4:29 PM

Nov 2011
That was some nice character development for Batou. It's easy to overlook how attached he gets to people, but I like it. His frustration with the Tachikomas' situation and having his "hero" turn out to be a sham is very noticeable.

These standalone episodes seem to be getting better.
Apr 2, 2015 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
Okay, I've got to write this. Batuo's married. What? He has a child. What?! His wife closely resembles (heck... is) the major. WHAT?! That came out of nowhere... or maybe it came up somewhere but I was too thick to see it haha.

I love these Batou-centric episodes.
Apr 16, 2015 8:02 PM
Nov 2014
Batou's episodes is always a good one. Great development with him.
Apr 23, 2015 12:07 PM

Feb 2013
Given how good these Batou centric episodes have been I'm surprised by how lame GITS 2 was. Anyway guess the moral here is to never meet your heroes. Especially the terrorist ones.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

158 by Magicmist »»
Sep 23, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

89 by Magicmist »»
Sep 22, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

114 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

51 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

78 by Magicmist »»
Sep 19, 12:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.