Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 2008 8:56 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Amazing... simply amazing. The battle that has raged on so far has been great. I think it now goes without saying that evenly matched the victor would have been Yang. Reinhard was only moments away from death before Muller showed up. He brought some much needed troops for Reinhard but it looks like they still can't stop Yang's advance.

Julian proved instrumental in keeping the Alliance from waring themselves out on Reinhard's 24 defensive lines. They also did an excellent job with the asteroid belt diversion. Their tactics and resoursefulness has been pure genius but time is wearing thin. If another fleet shows up things could get a lot more complicated.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Oct 25, 2008 8:15 AM

Aug 2008
Looks like things are not looking to great for Reinhard. Muller coming in was completely unexpected for both sides. Loved the cliffhanger ending for this episode as well. This battle just keeps on getting even more intense as it draws on.

My predictions are either Reinhard loses and dies or he wins by a thread with Yang escaping from a completely wiped out fleet. Either way one side will be completely destroyed and the other will be victorious.
Oct 30, 2008 9:03 AM

Jan 2008
Yang proves himself to be tactically superior, and yet the odds are still impossible.
Feb 13, 2009 5:05 AM

Jan 2008
Reinhard stares a battleship in the face, he is one lucky bastard.

Muller was very impressive today, transferring power responsibly, adapting to the battle. Was he always portrayed that capable?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 21, 2009 7:22 PM

Apr 2009
"Epic" That one word describes this battle better than a whole paragraph.

Muller moving from ship to ship at the end was pretty funny, and pretty badass at the same time.

Anyway, need to how this battle ends. On to the next episode.

Sep 8, 2009 12:31 AM

Jun 2009
Beatnik said:
Reinhard stares a battleship in the face, he is one lucky bastard.

Muller was very impressive today, transferring power responsibly, adapting to the battle. Was he always portrayed that capable?

Yeah, he was. In the fleet he was in before he was the only one Admiral that new what he was doing and Reinhard recognized that.

Anyway, yeah, Muller is pretty cool in his own right.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 17, 2009 7:28 PM

Jan 2009
Just wow... first off, poor Poplan.... he lost his best friend to a damned cruiser. >=(

Also, Attenborough needs a shave. =\

Comments aside, Yang continues to surprise by effectively surrounding Reinhard's forces and then proceeding to lay siege... and that Muller is sure quick to adapt, moving from ship to ship and coming in to his rescue at the last moment.

The battle as it is right now is nothing short of epic now that the Hyperion has finally met the Brunehilde face to face.
Oct 1, 2009 3:18 AM

Jan 2007
Reinhard looking at the battleship who was just about to shoot down his Brunhild was a brilliant scene.

Konev dies too :(
his death was in the usual style of LotGH,nothing over the top and i like that.
Oct 24, 2009 9:08 AM

Jul 2008
one word...epic

and didn't expect Muller to show up..he was really cool in this episode..
it's really hard now to guess who will win..but it seems that Yang is in advance now..and Reinhard was really lucky ne..for an insstance I thought he will die..
gotta go & watch the next ep..
Dec 2, 2009 5:40 AM

Dec 2008
Awesome episode!

Looks like we will finally have the Yang vs. Reinhard confrontation in the next episode.
Jan 12, 2010 2:41 PM

Apr 2009
RIP Konev :((((

damn i thought that that ship in front of Reinhard was Yang ) and he was destroyed xD
thank God that wasnt he)
awesome battle
May 1, 2010 7:32 PM

Aug 2008
Poplan lost his best friend...poor guy. That is seriously not cool. : (
May 26, 2010 8:12 AM

Jun 2009
Osaka117 said:
"Epic" That one word describes this battle better than a whole paragraph.

Muller moving from ship to ship at the end was pretty funny, and pretty badass at the same time.

Anyway, need to how this battle ends. On to the next episode.

What about a paragraph full of "epics"? It was sad that Konev died, sigh. I rather liked him. Poplan and Konev made a great comedic duo and I will miss him.
loghneckbeardMay 26, 2010 8:16 AM
Jun 12, 2010 4:18 PM

Feb 2010
I really grieve about Konev's death :(
Still the episode was amazing. The tension at the end kills me. Have to continue watching.
AlcoholicideJun 12, 2010 4:42 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 20, 2010 3:58 PM

Apr 2009
Noooo, Konev D: I liked the two of them so much, and now it's just Poplan left...it's not the same D:

Amazing tactic from Reinhard, with the neverending defense lines. And nice move on Yang's part, using asteroids like that xD

Also, Muller is pretty impressive, I must admit. I like him xP
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 15, 2010 3:00 PM

Jan 2009
I'm really disappointed here. Even I could see through Yangs tactic with the asteroids. It was so obvious but Reinhard still fell for it lol
Aug 21, 2010 12:53 AM

Aug 2008
I guess Reinhard was right about having enough luck for two people in the last episode. That cruiser was close enough to sh*t on him! For a nice guy, Yang is one of the most deadly people I've ever seen in a show. Wow!

"Bring it on!"
Oct 5, 2010 1:23 PM

Jan 2010
..........HOLLY SH*T.........

on the other hand Konev died?whaat?:(...noooo that's not cool the cast's starting to die,and they start with the ones i like :(

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 28, 2010 4:04 PM

May 2010
Reinhard telling him to die was a bit cruel...although he had no choice since he had no reserves left.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 26, 2011 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
muller earned himself a nickname...cool.
Aug 16, 2011 8:13 PM
Jun 2011
Yang really knows how to wage war. Reinhard was getting his ass handed to him. I don't get why Reinhard just can't get a win from Yang.
Nov 25, 2011 1:41 PM

Mar 2011
Amazing battle. Looks like Yang's fleet was almost victorious.
Nov 25, 2011 2:36 PM

May 2010
Grisle said:
Yang really knows how to wage war. Reinhard was getting his ass handed to him. I don't get why Reinhard just can't get a win from Yang.

Because of Bittenfield
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 15, 2012 3:05 AM

Sep 2009
Konev....Nooooo....
;-;

WHO WILL BE THE COMEDY NOW?!
Feb 8, 2012 10:35 PM

Aug 2010
My dick is so hard after watching these last two episodes

Holy shit man
May 1, 2012 1:08 PM

Feb 2012
Reinhard is second-to-none as a strategist -- but Yang proved himself to be the superior tactician this episode. Hell, the last scene showed that even Muller's better than Reinhard at adapting to changes in battle.
Jun 7, 2012 12:33 AM

Jun 2009
Confucius said:
Grisle said:

Because of Bittenfield

Bittenfield had literally nothing to do with this battle though...at least not yet. He wasn't even in the episode at all.

Great episode. The scene with Reinhard staring down the battleship was an "oh shit!" moment if I've seen one.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 19, 2013 9:12 AM

Nov 2009
Why the fuck is Reinhard still there?!?!?! Should he have fallen back when Muller stepped in? I mean then he could have just waited for allies, now he is fucked.
Sep 30, 2013 6:39 PM

Jul 2011
Yang, that strategy with the asteroids. Holy crap!!

So Yang has won? Since Reinhard no longer has any defense.

Wow though. Simply wow. And kudos to Muller!
Jan 6, 2014 7:40 PM
Feb 2011
Whoa, did those two men mean to drag off Reinhard and force him to retreat? After that speech he made to Emil about running away, I was expecting him to turn back, but nope, he's as stubborn as ever. He made a fatal mistake, obviously, when Yang finally got to him. (That scene with him staring down a battleship was glorious! Terrifying, yet glorious.) I've been thinking about what made him think it was unnecessary to retreat. Sure, he doesn't want his soldiers' deaths to be in vain, but I deeply wanted him to run and live another day for another battle. I don't think he'd be out of character if he did, but on further thought, his pride, wornout patience and deep resentment for Yang definitely contributed to his unwise decision. Thank God Muller got there on time.

I was wondering where Hilda was all throughout the battle. And I just can't get enough of Oberstein keeping his cool and maintaing an eerily calm demeanor.
Feb 18, 2014 12:01 PM

Mar 2013
wow the imperial stragetic is utterly idiotic, i thought this guy is a genius, well doesnt look like it. Normally the alliance makes the most illogical strategic plans, that makes the lose of the empire even more ridicoulus. Got beaten by a bunch of mentaly retarded. I guess they just want to make it still exciting to watch it even though the empire has a way higher mass of fleeds.How illogical
Feb 19, 2014 4:26 AM

Sep 2013
Lockensocke said:
wow the imperial stragetic is utterly idiotic, i thought this guy is a genius, well doesnt look like it. Normally the alliance makes the most illogical strategic plans, that makes the lose of the empire even more ridicoulus. Got beaten by a bunch of mentaly retarded. I guess they just want to make it still exciting to watch it even though the empire has a way higher mass of fleeds.How illogical

Actually, it is totally possible in war to triumph even with a relatively small army. Just look at Alexander the Great, for an example. He started very small, but through tactical geniousness, conquered a huge empire stretching from Greece to Egypt and Pakistan. Of course a huge army is a great advantage, but it does surprisingly have its bad sides too.

You probably are correct that they tried to spice up things a bit by making imperial fleet act worse than they should have. But if you look at tales of heroes through history such as the fight of Thermopylai with 300 spartans, it is totally possible although highly unlikely. You could say the fact that Yang won was mostly luck. Like in Thermopylai. And if you follow Yang's lines at all, he even himself keeps saying he's just been lucky.

The author of the novels has a deep understanding of history, and it shows.

While watching this, keep in mind the main theme of the show is, how heroes are born. Yang and Reinhard are the heroes of this story.
cupcFeb 19, 2014 4:33 AM
Feb 21, 2014 12:39 PM

Mar 2013
cupc said:

Actually, it is totally possible in war to triumph even with a relatively small army. Just look at Alexander the Great, for an example. He started very small, but through tactical geniousness, conquered a huge empire stretching from Greece to Egypt and Pakistan. Of course a huge army is a great advantage, but it does surprisingly have its bad sides too.

You probably are correct that they tried to spice up things a bit by making imperial fleet act worse than they should have. But if you look at tales of heroes through history such as the fight of Thermopylai with 300 spartans, it is totally possible although highly unlikely. You could say the fact that Yang won was mostly luck. Like in Thermopylai. And if you follow Yang's lines at all, he even himself keeps saying he's just been lucky.

The author of the novels has a deep understanding of history, and it shows.

While watching this, keep in mind the main theme of the show is, how heroes are born. Yang and Reinhard are the heroes of this story.

First off all: I more compared the war with a more recent real war: the second world war, but it actually doesnt matter at which period you are: it is important to have a signicitant adventage in war. Like in the earlier battles the horses, or in second wolrd war something like artillery, tanks, maschine guns. THATS why small forces can accomplish wins over small ones. Also the capabilities of your fleed members is very important in war. Like in 300 where trained spartans fought vs a bunch of persean( and the positioning is important as well) or in second world war where well trained german forces attacked not so well trained russian. The russian later on wins the battle ALSO because of significant adventages in Stalingrad: with surrouning your enemies to cut off their supplies.
Legend of the galactic heroes doesnt have those kind of adventages. Nowhere it says that the one soldiers are better trained than the other neither has anyone of them better ships nor ships of different types ( like artillery or meele tank-ships) which would have made the battle interesting. So its just a random shooting of a bunch of ships in every direction and you sometimes see some animtion of what happens in the fight, which can randomly change from one second to the other.
The writers of this story know NOTHING about real war. Their tactics are idiotic and false, thats a fact.
LockensockeFeb 21, 2014 5:12 PM
Apr 20, 2014 9:46 AM

Mar 2013
Rip Konev, the last role of VA Suzuoki, Hirotaka, in Logh (died already as Rupert Kessling), most famously known as Tenshinhan from DB/DBZ, and Bright from Mobile Suit Gundam/Zeta.

Battle was incredible, so tense and the suspense and uncertainty are at the maximum.

Flawless
Aug 7, 2014 4:18 AM

Nov 2013
Konev :'( I'm really going to miss the banter between the fighter pilots :(
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 29, 2014 12:19 AM

Dec 2013
I have to say I'm utterly disappointed. I didn't think Reinhard would lose to Yang. I was expecting Reinhard to be a force to be reckoned with, however the performance of his middle-class officers was rather poor (e.g. Turneisten).

Go Muller!! Muller is one of favourites now. Loyal and a good commander.
Nov 9, 2014 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
Grisle said:

Because plot. The Empire should've won the war by now but that means the show would've ended earlier. By giving Yang, also Julian now, clairvoyance with the addition of plot armor for their fleet the writers are able to keep the series going for a longer period of time.

I can't really complain though since this anime is pretty entertaining lol.
Mar 3, 2015 7:01 PM

Aug 2014
That episode was awesome. I just don't like that Reindhart was being beat like that though. Didn't he have way more people than Wenli anyways? He didn't really get to employ any strategy. I guess Muller is actually pretty good, because I remember that he might have been one of the guys who lost a battle.
May 25, 2015 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
That was random. One scene there's a random death flag for Konev, next scene he's dead. Should I feel sad or laugh? I don't know. Nevertheless, fantastic episode, looking forward to the next episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 29, 2015 9:53 PM
Nov 2014
Muller is paying back the respect that Reinhard gave to him back in the earlier episodes when he lost the battle in the fortress arc IIRC. Anyway, Reinhard is in the shit right now and I can't see any way out, maybe Reuental's fleet is gonna come or something.
Jun 12, 2015 4:07 PM

May 2012
Very interesting development and with that cliffhanger! Really looking forward to see what will happen next!
Jul 3, 2015 7:01 AM

Dec 2013
Felt bad for poor Poplan.

Wow Yang actually almost beat Reinhard. Shouldn't be that surprised. Yang has always been a superior strategist imo
Oct 8, 2015 8:04 AM

Feb 2014
Muller is a hero coming to aid at last second
Apr 9, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2014
It was kind of funny when Reinhard was face to face with a battleship. Müller was really good. The MVP of this episode.
Also, RIP Konev. Him and Poplin made a great duo, who brought some comedic relief with each episode they appeared in.
Jun 15, 2016 3:14 PM

Aug 2014
R.I.P Konev.
I kinda wish Poplan was the one to go instead of you

I swear Muller as the tenacity of a cockroach, this guy just won't die xD
Jul 4, 2016 3:48 AM

Jun 2016
This intensity, it's not good for my heart.
Oct 23, 2016 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode but Yang's inability to see Lohengram's simple plan seemed out of character. It's not like he was being clouded by something core to people like emotions. Even his steward figured out Lohengramms plan.

I think the writing took a dip in Yang's character just to make his steward look smart.

He did do the obvious counterplan to Lohengramm's tactic which is to use deception by faking a retreat and playing with Lohengramm's pride (something Yang decided to do before this episode), resulting in spreading out of his forces. So at least Yang wasn't out of character during the whole episode.
CyberNTOct 23, 2016 9:18 PM
Oct 29, 2016 6:18 PM

Aug 2014
First bad episode imo, Yang strategy seems more like an asspull.
Why any character who faces Yang is rewritten to become a complete idiot? That's Bad or Plot armor?
Also those fighters are laughing and fighting a deadly battle? gimme a break!!

@Lockensocke
I have read many criticism from you towards the show and i can agree with some, some points you made are fair enough and on point, especially on Yang the way you said he is not natural and too cold without emotions, that makes him nonhuman unlike Reinhard who is a far better character imo.

But most LOTGH fans are very delusional and get very angry if you disagree with them, they are the definition of a mindless sheep.

While i think i would rate it a 9 or a 10 and possibly top 5 favorite i acknowledge just as i acknowledge with code geass that this show is also flawed in some points.
Nov 26, 2016 3:20 PM

Jul 2008
Why would they break through and join someone that is surrounded?
Apr 11, 2017 9:21 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yang brokes the Reinhard strategy, but in the last time appeasr Muller to saves the blonde boy!!! :/
In the battle, there are elements unpredictable, and Muller was one of this elements....a pity!! :/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 42 Discussion

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

42 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 13, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

135 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 10, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 88 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

54 by acuriousmind »»
Sep 7, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

60 by WilliamMinerva20 »»
Sep 6, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

92 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 4, 4:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.