Forum Settings
Forums

List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more

New
Nov 10, 2021 10:44 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

A long-awaited feature has arrived at last!

You can now choose which title you would like to see on your anime and manga lists, from:
  • Main Title (romanized Japanese)
  • Official English Title (not translated)
  • Official French Title (not translated)
  • Official German Title (not translated)
  • Official Spanish Title (not translated)

Please note: The official title in the selected language will be displayed if it has been licensed; else, the main title on the database will appear.

Click here to change your settings!

What about the App?
We've rolled out this change to web first, but will be extending it to the app soon! Please watch for it.

Looking for another language?
We recognize that our userbase is very international and that there are users who would also like to see titles in their native languages which are not listed here. In the future, we hope to expand the alternative official titles to many more languages. We started with only three to begin with as there is a lot of data which needs to be added. These languages were chosen because we have seen many requests to add titles in these languages to synonyms for searching purposes in the past.

(Anime) Missing French/German/Spanish Titles
Many entries have had their French, German and Spanish titles pre-filled before launch for your convenience. If you find any entries in your list missing an official title in one of those languages, please read the instructions before posting in this thread.

(Manga) Missing French/German/Spanish Titles
Beyond the top manga titles, we are still missing many official manga titles in French, German, and Spanish. If you would like to help us fill in these titles, then please read the instructions before posting in the following threads: French, German, Spanish.
KinetaNov 10, 2021 10:54 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 10, 2021 11:01 PM

Feb 2010
NICE! What a fantastic and useful new feature!! This has been requested for forever and it's here! :D

Nov 10, 2021 11:15 PM

Nov 2020
Nice update, now I can search anime title more easier.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Nov 11, 2021 12:07 AM

May 2020
At last! I always got hella confused when I saw something on my list with the japanese title and needed the pic to remember what it was, so thank goodness I can use the international title now (well, for the most part - it would be nice to have that for non-licensed titles as well, since there are unofficial titles or whetever have you, but oh well...). And it's also great how the alphabetical sorting now goes according to the translated titles as well.
However, it would be even better if the search function on the list worked with the translated titles as well e.g. searching for 'shield hero' on my list doesn't yield anything, while I do have 'Tate no Yuusha' (plus whatever follows in japanese) in my list (in dropped). This would help not only for me to remember if I added something in my list (I have a very big PTW) but also for other people to be able to quickly see if I've already watched something (so they wouldn't recommend it to me again if I've already seen it for example - as happened in the 2020 Secret Santa, precisely with The Rising of the Shield Hero which is why I used that as an example).
Nov 11, 2021 12:33 AM

Sep 2019
Wonderful!
» My Profile «
» Anime List «
» Manga List «
Nov 11, 2021 12:37 AM

Apr 2017
That's cool to see, I've seen people want this feature for quite some time. Probably not something I'll use myself but still glad to have the option and happy for everyone who'll use it. However, I already seem to have run into problems. I'm still not entirely sure what happened, but it seems to be related to be related to the software loading 300 titles at a time. Because for the first 300 titles on my list everything seems to work fine. Anime that have a title in a different language that would place them further down will be removed from that list (Boku no Hero Academia --> My Hero Academia; in my case no longer in the first 300, will be removed from the first 300), but they then don't appear at the position they should be (again, My Hero Academia; just vanishes from my list). So now some anime won't show up at all while others are on there multiple times (like Yama no Susume, which appears in the first 300 as Encouragement of Climb and somewhere at the bottom as Yama no Susume). Sounds like something that should be fixed in the near future.
Nov 11, 2021 1:52 AM

Mar 2016
Hello, based department?
Nov 11, 2021 2:08 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Kineta said:

(Anime) Missing French/German/Spanish Titles
Many entries have had their French, German and Spanish titles pre-filled before launch for your convenience. If you find any entries in your list missing an official title in one of those languages, please read the instructions before posting in this thread.

Does it means that the request for this other language alternatives titles will always and only be handled on that thread? Considering that in there it says we can continue submitting the English on the edit entry feature. Also asking since via that option, it still says "Japanese and English synonyms only". Or in the future will this be available there too?
What about if we want to try adding a new series to the database? (and it has these official titles available)
Or not even that but the official is only on one of these new languages allowed (ie not English)
Will this change how the Korean/Chinese titles are handled?

Also maybe not entirely related, but does this update means that in the future we can expect for more content allowed in other languages? (Reviews, Recs, site-wide stuff)

Oh, also silly idea but it would be interesting to see which language people prefer (optional per user), like with a little flag or something on their profile xD
(Mostly to help with challenges or events, such as the upcoming Secret Santa!)

Also
SheyCroixNov 11, 2021 2:11 AM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Nov 11, 2021 2:51 AM
Apr 2016
Another great step forward.
I am pleasantly surprised to see the support of French!
Nov 11, 2021 4:06 AM

Jul 2019
Since when has MAL updated this aggressively ever? Anyway, cool, I will test out the features, thanks.

Could I ask as well, is this a global thing? As in, if I were to change my settings to English, absolutely anyone viewing my list would see English?
Nov 11, 2021 4:14 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
NextUniverse said:
Since when has MAL updated this aggressively ever? Anyway, cool, I will test out the features, thanks.

Could I ask as well, is this a global thing? As in, if I were to change my settings to English, absolutely anyone viewing my list would see English?
I made my list English. Check it and find out.
Nov 11, 2021 4:18 AM

Jul 2019
anime-prime said:
NextUniverse said:

I made my list English. Check it and find out.
Yeah, I had a look and it is in English lol. Thanks.
Nov 11, 2021 5:38 AM

Jul 2021
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, awesome :D
Nov 11, 2021 6:16 AM

Feb 2017
So far it's only for the lists I see. Will the option be extended to the whole site like it is on Anilist where when you change the language the titles of anime change as well not just in your list but on the whole site? Right now, for example, "Attack on Titan" is still "Shingeki no Kyojin" when you search it or go to the anime's page.
Nov 11, 2021 6:22 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Greato!!! Now if we can get that same feature for the Seasonal anime chart that will be really helpful. Like a filter that can change between Japanese titles and English titles.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

I also noticed that this new feature does not for less popular titles. For example, I still see Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai! despite having an English title called The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! I'm not sure if that's the official English title or not.
AddaeAkonoNov 11, 2021 6:27 AM
Nov 11, 2021 6:24 AM

Feb 2012
Great news, keep up the updates coming.
Nov 11, 2021 6:26 AM

Jun 2015
There's a bug at least with the Modern Lists.

When you open your Completed tab (or anyone with more than 300 titles) it first loads the 300 first titles with your preferred language, but once you scroll down to the bottom the remaining titles are always shown in Default Language.

Which in turn makes them show repeatedly in some cases (if the translated title happens to be on the top 300 and the non-translated one wouldn't):

A title like Kemono no Souja Erin in Japanese would appear in my top 300 because of the letter K, and in Spanish is simply Erin, which is also top 300 due to being letter E. In this case it doesn't generate a duplicate.

Despite the duplicates, the total completed is the same I currently have, meaning they're taking the spot for something else that is simply not showing in my list.
Nov 11, 2021 7:16 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
AddaeAkono said:
Greato!!! Now if we can get that same feature for the Seasonal anime chart that will be really helpful. Like a filter that can change between Japanese titles and English titles.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

I also noticed that this new feature does not for less popular titles. For example, I still see Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai! despite having an English title called The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! I'm not sure if that's the official English title or not.
Some titles still need to get their English titles updated, but also this only works for titles that are licensed for physical release. Not titles just licensed for digital release, which is the case for many Crunchyroll titles.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. Apparently it should also include streaming only licenses. So it's just the first issue, not the second.
anime-primeNov 11, 2021 10:28 AM
Nov 11, 2021 7:27 AM

Sep 2020
I think I'm seeing repeated entries in my Plan to Watch list, so that may need fixing.

But other than that, this is a fantastic update, it's really convenient.
Nov 11, 2021 8:49 AM
Jan 2021
thanks for the update. will titles on the main page and seasonal page be available in near future too?
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Nov 11, 2021 9:32 AM

Jul 2019
@anime-prime
Erm, I had a look into it again, seems like whatever the viewer has for their set language, is what is outputted onto users every list they look at.

I tried it with your list again.

My Setting: Main Title
https://i.imgur.com/bKk9hSw.png

My Setting: English
https://i.imgur.com/9SDWmKW.png

Doesn't really bother me too much, I just thought I'd say that because my initial conclusion wasn't right.
Nov 11, 2021 9:34 AM
Mar 2014
Finally. Have been waiting for this since forever
Nov 11, 2021 9:38 AM

Feb 2021
Thanks!

I would like to see titles in Russian too as I am from Russia!
Nov 11, 2021 10:06 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
This seems like a good change and I heard many people who would have liked a change like this. I will probably keep the Japanese romanized titles. I think it would be an easy change to also enable original Japanese Kanji/Kana title, but I would probably not use those.

Also... Am I the only one wondering what happened to the "Airing" tag of Ousama Ranking when the language was changed in the banner on top? Is it because the show is not airing in English dub but only in Japanese (with English subs) for the time being?

Maybe unrelated and not the right place to ask this, but
BratiNov 11, 2021 11:03 AM
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Nov 11, 2021 10:13 AM

May 2009
Excellent!

I've been enjoying a similar feature on other sites for a while now and I'm glad it's a thing on MAL too.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 11, 2021 10:17 AM
(=^・ェ・^=)

Nov 2013
anime-prime said:
AddaeAkono said:
Some titles still need to get their English titles updated, but also this only works for titles that are licensed for physical release. Not titles just licensed for digital release, which is the case for many Crunchyroll titles.

The thread for submitting anime titles says that simulcast titles are also allowed, but that the physical release title will take precedence. At least that's how I interpreted this:

Kineta said:
Instructions

1. Note that we only accept official titles, listed by priority where both exist:
 i. Distribution (physical release) title;
 ii. Simulcast title.

2. You must include a source link such as Amazon, a legal streaming website, a physical licensor, etc.
Posts without sources will be ignored and/or deleted.

In any case, this is an exciting update! I'm too used to seeing the Romanized titles so I probably won't switch my list settings to English, but I'm sure many people will find this useful.

Nov 11, 2021 10:41 AM

Feb 2021
firefractal said:
anime-prime said:

The thread for submitting anime titles says that simulcast titles are also allowed, but that the physical release title will take precedence. At least that's how I interpreted this:

Kineta said:
Instructions

1. Note that we only accept official titles, listed by priority where both exist:
 i. Distribution (physical release) title;
 ii. Simulcast title.

2. You must include a source link such as Amazon, a legal streaming website, a physical licensor, etc.
Posts without sources will be ignored and/or deleted.

In any case, this is an exciting update! I'm too used to seeing the Romanized titles so I probably won't switch my list settings to English, but I'm sure many people will find this useful.

I am also too used to Romanized titles, will keep it as it was before then I think, titles names I mean.
Nov 11, 2021 10:56 AM

Jan 2009
nice another update

but how about character names? can they use english names too?

EDIT:

just tested it, its only strictly applied on lists, i hope favorites and other parts of the site applies it too like on the favorites section of the user profile
Nov 11, 2021 11:09 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
deg said:
nice another update

EDIT:

just tested it, its only strictly applied on lists, i hope favorites and other parts of the site applies it too like on the favorites section of the user profile
Yeah, same. I asked about that, so I might get an answer to that soon. However, I think it might be more complicated to get that to happen.
Nov 11, 2021 11:11 AM

Feb 2020
Nicenicenicr
Nov 11, 2021 11:42 AM

Jan 2009
anime-prime said:
deg said:
nice another update

EDIT:

Yeah, same. I asked about that, so I might get an answer to that soon. However, I think it might be more complicated to get that to happen.

if you got an answer with the developers, can you share it in this thread too, thanks
Nov 11, 2021 1:04 PM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Great feature, thank you so much for this addition to the site!

Now do I change to English titles...? I think it's 50/50 for me as I call some shows by their English names and some by their Japanese names. Decisions, please help!

Anyways, keep it up <3

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Nov 11, 2021 2:24 PM

Jul 2008
Otsukaresama !
I will keep my Anime's title in "Main" Romaji, since most of the time we use the japanese way, but for mangas it will be super useful to find them in french when our editor tend to keep (ridiculously) translate them.
Thank you for this feature, I love seeing MAL updating !
Nov 11, 2021 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
Tsarko said:
So far it's only for the lists I see. Will the option be extended to the whole site like it is on Anilist where when you change the language the titles of anime change as well not just in your list but on the whole site? Right now, for example, "Attack on Titan" is still "Shingeki no Kyojin" when you search it or go to the anime's page.

ye i just happen to read your comment i agree, AniList did it better since the title language option is site wide option and not just on the lists

for now MAL half-ass a lot of this new features that AniList has like the seasonal chart page has no somewhat real-time timer for airing dates unlike on AniList and now this new feature is the same

this is from AniList as an example https://anichart.net/Fall-2021
Nov 11, 2021 2:53 PM

Jul 2019
Brati said:
I don't think it is possible, it is a literal database inconsistency idk when will get fixed. It is very noticeable in top anime.

deg said:
Don't characters only have one name or am I missing smth?
Nov 11, 2021 3:09 PM

Jan 2009
NextUniverse said:
deg said:

one example that i thought of when i made that reply Joey Wheelers original japanese name is https://myanimelist.net/character/1377/Katsuya_Jounouchi
Nov 11, 2021 3:10 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
NextUniverse said:

one example that i thought of when i made that reply Joey Wheelers original japanese name is https://myanimelist.net/character/1377/Katsuya_Jounouchi
I was literally thinking of 4kids anime myself, YuGiOh is the biggest one. But that is such a small minority no?
Nov 11, 2021 3:11 PM

Jan 2009
NextUniverse said:
deg said:

I was literally thinking of 4kids anime myself, YuGiOh is the biggest one. But that is such a small minority no?

dont know if its the minority or not but anime is popular on USA a lot
Nov 11, 2021 4:03 PM
Mar 2021
Would be nice if this was also introduced for searches and general show pages. Sometimes I’ll search for an anime in English and the search results give me 20 different Japanese names so I have to click each one until I find it.
Nov 11, 2021 5:41 PM

May 2019
Amazing
Nov 11, 2021 5:56 PM

Aug 2017
Yay! This was one of the things I liked about Anilist.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Nov 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Aug 2020
oh damn thats actually a cool change.
Nov 11, 2021 8:00 PM

Dec 2019
I can not believe this!
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Nov 11, 2021 8:13 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
NeaRetrogamer said:
However, it would be even better if the search function on the list worked with the translated titles as well
Sorry, the current behaviour is not intended. The tech team is looking into it.

RobbiRobb said:
I'm still not entirely sure what happened, but it seems to be related to be related to the software loading 300 titles at a time.
Unowen said:
There's a bug at least with the Modern Lists.
This is a bug and will be fixed soon, sorry!

SheyCroix said:
Does it means that the request for this other language alternatives titles will always and only be handled on that thread?
It's a short-term measure. Our goal is ultimately for all requests to be handled by edit submissions.
Will this change how the Korean/Chinese titles are handled?
No, that's separate development.
Also maybe not entirely related, but does this update means that in the future we can expect for more content allowed in other languages? (Reviews, Recs, site-wide stuff)
User-created content in other languages also requires moderation in those languages. That's like ultra hard mode, and we're in easy mode now :'D Let's climb the ladder together~
We're just making some minor HTML changes to try and draw users attention to stickies and rules/guidelines threads.

Brati said:
Also... Am I the only one wondering what happened to the "Airing" tag of Ousama Ranking when the language was changed in the banner on top?
Just an image edit error.
This is a legacy title. We've refrained from changing legacy titles without a list title toggle. This is something we can consider going forward, but we have our hands full currently with genres/themes and populating the new title fields.

Abajur said:
could add an option to have the Japanese titles in Japanese, i.e. kanji
Since the Japanese field is used as an "Original Title" field right now, some series have Korean and Chinese in this field currently. We need separate development for a country of origin modification before we can do this.
Nov 11, 2021 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
Can you please add decimal score
Nov 12, 2021 12:23 AM

Aug 2013
Finally I can get rid of translated titles.
Do the same with name order. I want to see original name order EVERYWHERE.

Edit. I can't turn it off, just change the language of translated title or even worse, show the translated one as main title. GG, great feature.
Why didn't you add kanji title as an option as you promised few months ago?
NextUniverse said:

Many filthy disgusting dubs changed the characters names.
rsc-plNov 12, 2021 12:36 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 12, 2021 1:01 AM

Sep 2018
Cool new feature ^^

I've spotted one error that I don't think anyone has brought up yet. For some reason, when I log out, my list displays English titles even when I have selected Main. It only displays Main when I'm logged in. That does not seem to be the issue for French titles (have not checked German so not sure about that one). Is that the case for anyone else?
Nov 12, 2021 4:14 AM

Aug 2008
Can you add translated english title beside licenced title? Licenced titles don't make any sense most of the time, so they are as useful as someone gesturing you a title...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 12, 2021 4:20 AM

Apr 2017
Kineta said:
[...]
RobbiRobb said:
I'm still not entirely sure what happened, but it seems to be related to be related to the software loading 300 titles at a time.
[...]
This is a bug and will be fixed soon, sorry!
[...]
Ah, good to know, thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to the fix!
Nov 12, 2021 5:39 AM

Oct 2018
Good feature but I'll stick to the original romanized titles. Japanese titles are superior for me.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 )

Kineta - May 23

91 by kavitasinha »»
5 minutes ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

244 by mughal1999 »»
Today, 6:22 AM

» Planned 3hr Maintenance, Wednesday May 29 @ 1am-4am PT

Kineta - May 26

0 by Kineta »»
May 26, 3:57 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.