Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 16, 2020 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aye, another episode dealing with a piece of item although this time is examining a ruby.

They're taking time to bring out the characterization for Richard but I think it can work for the show. I was kinda surprised by Mami's health condition though. I'm kinda underwhelmed by Seigi's role but maybe he's learning more and more from all of this.
Jan 16, 2020 10:15 AM
Sep 2016
More and more as this show goes on, I honestly think the show would've worked better as a live-action show than an anime. I feel it would've had more emotion towards it. The animation is drab and honestly, pretty unremarkable. The characters are flat surfaces, especially Richerd who has served no real purpose to the narrative besides appraising the jewels. His character is nothing and Segai is okay but the amount of times I have to hear that is name is Hero of Justice is something I don't want to hear.

With the mystery, I feel like it wasn't as emotionally driven as the one before and I just didn't care.
It really do be like that though.

Jan 16, 2020 10:55 AM
Sep 2015
My guess is so wrongggg I guess she is a 'male' and want to sell Ruby for gender reassignment surgery.
Jan 16, 2020 11:03 AM

Jul 2009
phantomfandom said:
My guess is so wrongggg I guess she is a 'male' and want to sell Ruby for gender reassignment surgery.

LMFAO I LEGIT THOUGHT THE SAME THING. First i thought she was just sick and needed money for some kind of treatment but then I thought she was transgendered and needed it for reassignment surgery. The only hint was her voice tho. But I guess her being lesbian relates in some way.
Jan 16, 2020 11:07 AM

Jun 2008
They completely cut her girlfriend from this case and we don’t get to see inside Seigi’s head as much. But it could have been worse, I guess. I’m definitely glad I read the novel version of this case first.
Jan 16, 2020 11:15 AM

May 2018
"I can't stand growing a vegetable garden in a desert anymore" what does Mami san mean anyway?????

Does it suggest that she is a he??? Cu'z if it is , then EEEEEWWWWW....

Or does it suggest that she can't give birth?????

Man , her statement was just waaay tooo enigmatic.
Jan 16, 2020 11:45 AM
May 2017
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
"I can't stand growing a vegetable garden in a desert anymore" what does Mami san mean anyway?????

I think she means the desert is Japanese culture
She was in a lesbian relationship which isnt really normal over there and isnt as widely accepted as in the west.
And with her conditioning of being normal and her society, this meant her relationship, the vegetable, wouldnt be able to grow
Jan 16, 2020 11:50 AM

Oct 2018
every season we get a unique anime with very different ideas and concept this anime is that.... no one going to notice this thats freaking sad..
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 16, 2020 11:52 AM
May 2017
I really liked how this episode dared to show the issues with systematic bigotty in Japanese society. And how even good people like Seigi have it unconsciously. The Gem in this episode was interesting. I guess I'll watch all the episodes of this anime and won't drop it.
Jan 16, 2020 11:57 AM

Mar 2016
I loved this! I loved this a lot!! It was so awesome how they gently started the episode by talking about not discriminating people, and then brought in a gay woman.

When the woman was talking with Seigi, I managed to connect the dots and understand the woman was gay, and started getting so emotional. I was only expecting offensive BL fanservice here, but this actually talked about an actual gay person, and I am so happy I watched this.
Jan 16, 2020 12:05 PM

Apr 2011
I like Richard's no discrimination policy.

I find Seigi to be annoying and dumb -_-. And all that "Hero of Justice" thing is soooo cringy.
"- Heeey my name means hero of justiceeee, my grandma gave me the naaame, Imma come to help yooou"

No Seigi, just no.
Jan 16, 2020 12:07 PM

Jan 2017
richard is such sjw, good thing he's pretty so i can forgive him lol
Jan 16, 2020 12:38 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The story was actually really sad, she wanted to live a ""normal"" life with a marry and kids but she couldn't forget the woman she loved...
I really liked the thing with the heated or unheated ruby
Jan 16, 2020 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
It’s nice to have an anime every once in a while that has not much of a plot.
Jan 16, 2020 1:45 PM
Aug 2018
I like this it’s relaxing. Definitely going to keep watching <3
Jan 16, 2020 1:54 PM

Sep 2017
I liked this a lot more than the first episode. Very slow and relaxed, and I was kinda interested in the gemstone lore they gave us. Also it's pretty FeelsBadMan for Mami growing up in such an environment while being a lesbian. It's no wonder she thought she wanted a "normal" life instead with how she was raised.
Jan 16, 2020 1:59 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I admire the show's laid back atmosphere. The poor woman wanted conform with the rest of Japanese society, but she realized that will not bring her happiness.
Jan 16, 2020 2:09 PM

Apr 2015
This series is turning out to be less of a mystery, but thankfully that wasn't the only reason I started watching. The unexpected counseling session seems to be a recurring theme, which again, wasn't expecting but not bad. I cringed at the first scene with the various languages and people coming into Richard's shop, but it all made sense at the end because they were setting up for the message. The message really resonated with me, so honestly not bad for a second episode.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Jan 16, 2020 2:43 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Cdynamo said:
More and more as this show goes on, I honestly think the show would've worked better as a live-action show than an anime.
Didn't think about it until you said it, but I agree with you. May still happen, too.

I see so many complaints on Twitter from people who live in Japan saying the first thing anyone ever says to them is "you speak Japanese well". So I found it amusing when this was the first thing Mami said, and wondered if it was intentional. After the whole underlying theme of the episode, perhaps it was.

Also particularly liked the "gemstone otaku" switch of Seigi's crush there :'D

I too felt like Richard didn't really do much this episode aside from lecture Seigi, but I also kind of feel like he didn't get a chance to. Seigi kept butting in and talking over other people's stories, and Richard even had his mouth open to say something on occasion. Tbh I was waiting for him to tell Seigi to shut up and not speak every thought that comes into his brain :'D

Started this anime for Richard's pretty design + gemstones (what more could a girl want) but now I'm more curious about where this'll lead to.
Jan 16, 2020 3:54 PM

Nov 2019
Having a seiyu speak a foreign language without a dialect coach just feels like a cruel joke..

Jan 16, 2020 3:58 PM

Jul 2017
Another day, and another gemstone case file for jewel appraiser Richard and assistant Seigi.

However, beneath the appraised client, a swelling of sadness, and a lesson taught and learnt towards Seigi from Richard about the relations of different gems and the various clientele requests.

But the story about the multiple clientele and their unrequited relations from the beginning really foreshadows it all very well, as is with Richard's ability to converse in different languages.

Turns out, the gemstone was an item of "forced ideals" of love and freedom, imperfect as why she wants it to be "heat-treated" because red symbolises love, and the heat treatment being the fire in marriage, and thereafter, love.

Sweet episode that honestly, this show is a hidden gem (no pun intended) of the season.
Jan 16, 2020 4:14 PM

Sep 2011
Good episode! Mami-san was in love with another woman, but she was raised to seek after the "normal" life, and tried to, becoming miserable in the process. I don't know exactly what she went through to feel like this, but it can't have been easy. Good thing that even the bet she made with herself worked out for the best. Each gemstone is indeed unique, and living in a diverse world is indeed easier to live in, richer, and more beautiful like Richard said. Oh, and I love that Seigi managed to prepare the tea just right by the end of the episode. xD
Jan 16, 2020 4:44 PM

Feb 2019
Richard gets offended way too easily. It was only the thawb that Seigi asked about. It wasn't anything discriminatory or offensive, even if Seigi had directly asked the Prince wearing the thawb. There's a line between offensiveness an freedom of opinion. Some people use it to cover up offensive acts as freedom of opinion. Richard overreacts and covers up freedom of opinion as offensiveness.

Characters are really stereotypical so far. I won't make a concrete judgement of them for myself yet, it's only been the second episode.

Nice episode tho. Sure, it didn't seem keep up with its "mystery" part really well, but the plot was nice.
Jan 16, 2020 6:39 PM

Mar 2016
Im not crying, your crying.

Very happy to see she didnt go through with the marriage and is going back to living her life honestly again. This episode made me very happy :3
Jan 16, 2020 10:42 PM
Apr 2016
I'm really liking the series so far, but I wish it showed more of the interaction between Seigi and Richard, instead of a "jewel of the week" case. Their friendship/interactions seem to progress with little shown on screen. It might be more obvious in the novels.
Jan 16, 2020 11:02 PM

Jun 2008
zimmercj said:
It might be more obvious in the novels.

It is. They cut some really interesting stuff. 20 minutes isn’t enough for each case.
Jan 17, 2020 1:22 AM

Jul 2017
They kept showing clips of children, so my first thought was that Mami's "trying to grow a vegetable garden in a desert" phrase was a metaphor for her being infertile, and wanting to have kids (maybe she needed to sell the brooch for fertilization treatments? I'm admittedly really bad at mysteries.) but I really love where they went with it instead. Genuinely lovely and heartwarming.
Jan 17, 2020 4:07 AM
Aug 2018
I was wondering why Tanimoto's voice sounded so familar. It turns out she is in almost every anime.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Jan 17, 2020 4:33 AM

Nov 2019
That fiance was so sweet he almost gave me a toothache..
Jan 17, 2020 4:40 AM

Oct 2017
I thought that she couldn't have kids and was happily surprised when it was revealed that she is a lesbian.
Other than that though the episode wasn't that great, mostly due to the fact that Seigi kept talking without end and Richard just let him do and say whatever he wanted without stopping him once. The only instances where he talked was to tell him to not discriminate and say generalized things. I'm like really? Saying "people like her" is a bad thing but acting like a know-it-all to the poor fiancé isn't? Set your priorities straight Richard.
I hope the next episode has more balance between the two because honestly I feel that Richard can become better as a character than Seigi in the long run
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2020 8:32 AM

Oct 2017
Wow Mami turned out to be a lesbian and she just coudn't forget her gf. Pretty sad story but I didn't really like this that much. I hope the rest of the series doesn't go like this and we get more interesting cases.
Jan 17, 2020 10:27 AM

Dec 2008
I't not appropriate to resolve private problems inside someone else store ;p.
Jan 17, 2020 1:08 PM
Nov 2018
I was looking forward for this anime but all this sjw propaganda being thrown at me in a single episode is just too much.

It also felt forced, I'm talking about the no descrimination talk Richard gave to seigi like wth he didn't say anything
Jan 17, 2020 1:58 PM

Nov 2010
This episode was kind of a let down. I still think this show has potential, but so far it feels a bit flat.
I wish they would go into more detail about .... anything? Be it the appraisal itself, so far we know nothing about it, the gems, the people, but somehow it always feels only surface level.

This episode was clearly aimed at society, but even there it barely scratched the surface. Especially annoying is the dialogue with so much silence and nothingness exchanged. The whole thing could have been over in 5 minutes if people just moved their mouth and made substantive words come out, but instead we got a lot of' bla bla bla, silence, bla bla bla, silence' just to give the episode more tension than was necessary or reasonable.

The thing that gives me hope is a meeting of Richard and Shouko that could bring in some well needed information between two characters that actually have knowledge about the subject and could have some interesting chemistry between the subdued Richard and the more energetic Shouko.
Even the main character feels more like a blank white knight slate more than anything, and that after the first episode that should have been impactful on him.

I was hoping for another Fune wo Amu, but so far this show is not delivering.
Jan 17, 2020 4:12 PM
Aug 2018
The funny thing about this episode was that when Mami stormed out of the store I was like "Damn... straight people are weird... oh wait... what if she's not straight?". As a fellow lesbian I could understand her feelings when they kept showing families and her speech about needing to have a "normal" life. Be born, grow up, marry and have children.These are things that are expected of everyone but once you realize it's not going to happen to you you realize how the world really is and how different you are.

I really liked this episode and I'm happy I started watching this show.
Jan 17, 2020 11:07 PM

Dec 2016
this_shit_again said:
Having a seiyu speak a foreign language without a dialect coach just feels like a cruel joke..

this. surprised no one else has mentioned how shit it sounded.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 18, 2020 7:43 AM
Feb 2019
I liked the meaning behind the episode. Shining a spotlight on how lieing to yourself to fit in with the crowd is never going to make you truly happy. However I just had a problem with the way the new characters Homura and Sasu acted in this episode. Both sides I couldn't relate to at all simply for how they acted and went about doing things. Sasu is the obvious one that you can understand because she is causing herself sadness for lieing to herself but the fact that she was going to make the judgement call on whether a jewel was heated or not seemed idiotic to me. Also Homura was too nice in my oppinion saying things like "I dont care if your having an affair". Um buddy, this is something you definitely should care about or your lieing to yourself as much she is and not taking early signs only to divorce down the line due to the same issue. I couldve been able to relate a bit more had he been the one to decide to call off the marriage because he was able to see that this was something she honestly did not want to go through with and was in turn causing her sadness. We also never got a resolve between the couple because Seigi was the one communicating the issue to Homura. Instead of Sasu saying it herself whenever they where sitting down and suppose to be communicating the problem there. Instead she left it at "I can't marry you" and stormed out which lead to the bench scene. She didn't feel like she could tell the guy she was with the reason but she apparently could tell it to a total stranger when it was none of his business to begin with. Then the icing on the cake for me was Homura stating "My feelings toward her was hurting her"... What?! Bro where you listening at all? No she was obviously hurt for again, lieing about her own feelings. So ya I did not like this episode as much as the first by far. Lets just hope the writing and character interactions get better from here.
Jan 18, 2020 10:19 AM
Jul 2019
IMAO, ok so if that Mami girl really wanna break up that guy then why go to all that drama and just return that broach to the guy rather than having it apprise to Richard??????Also, this episode was jut waay tooo enigmatic given that she only gave a phrase " "I can't stand growing a vegetable garden in a desert anymore". Now I don't know any of you, but TBH, she never mention anything that she's a lesbian nor does she said that she's transgender and she never said that she's dying.
Jan 18, 2020 8:11 PM

Dec 2018
can't believe i remembered that corundum fact off the top of my head before the anime said anything, heh. Steven Universe why

loved how she realized she was gay, and how there was a "gay couple" in the montage of couples she looked at. (they could've not been dating, but they were clearly showing couples)

she looked so great with short hair, too!
Jan 18, 2020 9:32 PM

Aug 2015
I wish Richard, in all his worldliness, would explain to Seigi about things like "why is that man dressed like that" or "wow life must be hard for people like her" instead of just repeating "that's offensive. remember our rules". Giving him an actual short explanation and then saying something like "remember to be mindful of and sensitive towards different cultures and lifestyles" would be more educational not just for Seigi but also for the audience.

Seigi is a naive boy. He hasn't said anything out of malice. He's so eager to learn that he picked up a mineralogy book despite being regulated only to odd jobs at the office. Perhaps if Richard was as generous with his knowledge of other cultures and lifestyles as he is with his knowledge of gems, Seigi would become motivated to learn about foreign cultures and LGBT history too?

I'm assuming that this show is trying to convey "you need to be mindful and sensitive" to the audience as well, but this isn't a great example to set. Shutting down questions asked out of ignorance does not make the one who asked less ignorant. At this rate Seigi won't become less naive and ignorant. He won't voice his thoughts but internally he will keep thinking the same ignorant things. This show is doing "woke" in a very tired way.
Jan 19, 2020 3:49 AM
Nov 2019
This is getting pretty sjw. Seigi hasn't said anything bigoted yet but Richard keeps calling him up on being discriminatory. Saying people like...whatever her name was, 'must have it hard' was absolutely fine. Hes commenting on the difficulties of LG people. That's not bigoted.

Neither was his comment on the Arabian guys outfit. Saying, 'hey that guys dress looks like it might be hot' isnt a prejudice.

It's like this anime makes observations on what may be minority groups and straight up labels it discriminatory. It's dumb.

And so is Richard. Just drink the damn tea ffs.
Jan 19, 2020 4:00 AM

Apr 2012
Man, I love the gay plot twist. What I don't like tho is that Richard calls Seigi out for literally everything he says. I mean honestly, Seigi didn't even say anything offensive...
Jan 19, 2020 5:27 AM

Nov 2019
Who knew an employer discussing the company's anti-discrimination policy with his employee could evoke such strong emotions from its viewers..

Looks like the show (unintentionally) found its spice..
Jan 19, 2020 9:02 AM

May 2018
DeitysDynasty said:
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

She was in a lesbian relationship which isnt really normal over there and isnt as widely accepted as in the west.
And with her conditioning of being normal and her society, this meant her relationship, the vegetable, wouldn't be able to grow

Sorry man I kinda disagree with you about that, cu'z there were no mentioned of her being lesbian, if she is then why bother have that broach apprise to Richard unless she needs to sell and use the money to finance something? Also the moment she stormed out when confronted by her soon to be ex boy friend we see her looking at couples as if she envy's them, if she's lesbian then wouldn't she be looking at girls or lesbian couples..... so IMO we're given an uncertain ending as to her predicament.
Jan 19, 2020 9:16 AM
May 2017
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
DeitysDynasty said:

And with her conditioning of being normal and her society, this meant her relationship, the vegetable, wouldn't be able to grow

Sorry man I kinda disagree with you about that, cu'z there were no mentioned of her being lesbian, if she is then why bother have that broach apprise to Richard unless she needs to sell and use the money to finance something? Also the moment she stormed out when confronted by her soon to be ex boy friend we see her looking at couples as if she envy's them, if she's lesbian then wouldn't she be looking at girls or lesbian couples..... so IMO we're given an uncertain ending as to her predicament.
Did you not watch the episode? It was very clear that she was in a lesbian relationship.
And she wasnt going to finance anything, she clearly said if the ruby was heated she will marry her fiance and if it wasnt shed call it off
like an intricate coin flip
Jan 19, 2020 9:18 AM
May 2017
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
DeitysDynasty said:

Did you not watch the episode? It was very clear that she was in a lesbian relationship.
And she wasnt going to finance anything, she clearly said if the ruby was heated she will marry her fiance and if it wasnt shed call it off
like an intricate coin flip]
RisuSaya said:
Man, I love the gay plot twist. What I don't like tho is that Richard calls Seigi out for literally everything he says. I mean honestly, Seigi didn't even say anything offensive...
Other people know shes gay too
Jan 19, 2020 9:19 AM

May 2018
DeitysDynasty said:
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

Ok then why does she looks at heterosexual couples with envy?????
Jan 19, 2020 9:29 AM
May 2017
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
IMAO, ok so if that Mami girl really wanna break up that guy then why go to all that drama and just return that broach to the guy rather than having it apprise to Richard??????Also, this episode was jut waay tooo enigmatic given that she only gave a phrase " "I can't stand growing a vegetable garden in a desert anymore". Now I don't know any of you, but TBH, she never mention anything that she's a lesbian nor does she said that she's transgender and she never said that she's dying.

Ok lets start this again,
while talking to seigi, Mami mentions a previous lover Akashi, the name she used to work with richard. Akashi was called a she so we know her ex-lover was a girl.
However she was forced to leave that relationship behind due to her conditioning (implied).
the desert, japanese society isnt as modern as the west so gay relationships arent seen as normal, and she was conditioned at a young age to be normal, and a gay relationship isnt normal for them
Hence, a vegetable (her lesbian relationship) growing in a desert (japanese society), its a place where the vegetable wouldnt grow.

Mami was never going to sell the broach, she used it as an intricate coin flip, if it landed heads (the ruby was heated) then she'd marry her fiance, if it was tails (it wasnt heated) then she'd call it off.
Jan 19, 2020 9:36 AM
May 2017
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
DeitysDynasty said:
Ok then why does she looks at heterosexual couples with envy?????
BECAUSE THEY CAN BE TOGETHER!
Society accepts them as a couple but couldn't accept hers, no wonder she's envious because she wants to be happy like them too

heres another example of people getting it
Fayrin said:
Good episode! Mami-san was in love with another woman, but she was raised to seek after the "normal" life, and tried to, becoming miserable in the process. I don't know exactly what she went through to feel like this, but it can't have been easy. Good thing that even the bet she made with herself worked out for the best. Each gemstone is indeed unique, and living in a diverse world is indeed easier to live in, richer, and more beautiful like Richard said. Oh, and I love that Seigi managed to prepare the tea just right by the end of the episode. xD
DeitysDynastyJan 19, 2020 9:40 AM
Jan 19, 2020 10:05 PM
Nov 2017
decent episode!

Seigi is a little cringe at times and i hope he gets better developed bc hes a very eager guy!

Richard couldve definitely handled those questions better and it wouldve been a better thing for the audience as well as seigi. i did enjoy how he mentioned not discriminating against anyone was good but couldve been built upon.

Mami's story is a tale as old as time and it hits close to home. i really felt for her. i loved how at the end we see her with short hair, it kinda is symbolic of her moving on, letting go. It would have been a bit more interesting to see a bit more depth to her story but the subtly was also a nice touch.

animation is meh, im not a huge fan of the pointed noses both seigi and richard have.

overall a solid 7
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

26 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

34 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2020

47 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2020

48 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 12:58 AM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2020

94 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.