Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2019 10:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This looks good. Visuals are updated to modern standards and we got the main cast introduced from the first episode.

Mao has the mindset of a chef and it impresses me at someone his age with his talent. Right off the bat, we're already getting some cooking. I also find the setting of this series to be really interesting with a degree of realism.
Oct 11, 2019 11:51 AM

Jul 2017
is this a direct sequel or a stand alone thing?
Oct 11, 2019 12:22 PM

Jun 2011
Zerity said:

A sequel. Don't watch this without seeing the 90's anime or you will be totally lost.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Oct 11, 2019 12:32 PM
Jun 2016
Ahegyao said:
Zerity said:

A sequel. Don't watch this without seeing the 90's anime or you will be totally lost.

actually only need to see the fist 19 episodes, this was episode 20, with next one being 21, I had hoped if they do a semi reboot they least start from the legendary cooking arc.
Oct 11, 2019 12:33 PM
Jun 2016
Zerity said:

it takes place after the first 19 episodes of the original series.
Oct 11, 2019 12:34 PM
Jun 2016
feels a little odd to reboot it half way through the original series, this is episode 20 of the original series, with next one being 21. Liked it again :> But would have been better to start with the legendary arc.
Oct 11, 2019 12:49 PM

Jun 2011
wolfwing said:
Ahegyao said:

actually only need to see the fist 19 episodes, this was episode 20, with next one being 21, I had hoped if they do a semi reboot they least start from the legendary cooking arc.

Yeah you're right it is pretty much episode 20 with a few variations (Fei doesn't show up in the 90's version) Still, I wouldn't recommend this one for first timers.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Oct 11, 2019 1:01 PM
Jun 2016
Ahegyao said:
wolfwing said:

Yeah you're right it is pretty much episode 20 with a few variations (Fei doesn't show up in the 90's version) Still, I wouldn't recommend this one for first timers.

True, but least for now it makes it a bit easier for new comers to just have to watch the first 19, actually I made a mistake I thought Chuuka was 2 series, so I know the first legendary item fully appears around episode 33, but trying to figure out when the arc itself starts, and if this is a good place to start it.
Oct 11, 2019 1:41 PM
Sep 2015
I've watched the original anime and manga, and since this happened 20 years ago I can only remember very few things. And coincidentally or not, one of the thing I remember is 'black chicken'. So if this reboot serves as greatest hit then it already succeed in episode selection. But I'm concerned about the newcomer who just watch this without knowing anything before.

Shout out to the composer who create very beautiful Chinese-theme music.

And to the character design team, this show has a lot of hot men (many more than other manga released 20 years ago) and with the present technology it can finally bring their sexiness to life.
Oct 11, 2019 1:48 PM
Jun 2016
phantomfandom said:
I've watched the original anime and manga, and since this happened 20 years ago I can only remember very few things. And coincidentally or not, one of the thing I remember is 'black chicken'. So if this reboot serves as greatest hit then it already succeed in episode selection. But I'm concerned about the newcomer who just watch this without knowing anything before.

Shout out to the composer who create very beautiful Chinese-theme music.

And to the character design team, this show has a lot of hot men (many more than other manga released 20 years ago) and with the present technology it can finally bring their sexiness to life.

I went back and looked up the episodes for the original, this is episode 20, with episode 21 being the next, it introduces a character, who has a event happen to him that sets off the next arc, so I think this may actually be a good place to start it. It gives us the arc that wasn't finished, but allows new fans to watch it without being completly lost, and not having a full reboot for those that already seen previous.

episode 33 is around when were introduced to the plot of the arc fully I think.
Oct 11, 2019 1:52 PM
Feb 2010
Seems really weird that it starts from the middle of the first anime.
Oct 11, 2019 2:54 PM

Sep 2012
Ha they had us fooled, when they said it would be "Shin Chuuka Ichiban", they literally meant Shin aka new! So a reboot instead of adapting the Shin Chuuka Ichiban Manga...

Also the episode selection is quite strange. While Black Chicken is probably one of the best episodes of that arc, it's a bit strange of a choice. They could have made the first Arc into a 50 Min episode maybe, so they would be smoothly here if done right.

Now I'm even more interested to see if this will just reboot some episodes, reboot the remaining anime or even continuing into Shin Chuuka Ichiban eventually?
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Oct 11, 2019 2:58 PM
Nov 2007
Dang they changed the VA (Wanted to hear luffy's voice as Mao again), but I'm really happy that cooking master boy came back. one of the OGs of cooking anime

So basically this is the "Silkie" episode of the original.
Oct 11, 2019 3:07 PM

Nov 2016
As of now I prefer the first series more and kinda weird to start at this point, but ok.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 11, 2019 3:49 PM

Sep 2011
A small recap at the start would have been welcome, but I like how they started from the middle of the story as if the previous episode just aired last week. xD They chose an interesting point to start from too, episode 20 from the first anime. It was almost as satisfying as the first time, to see Mao proving the value of the black chickens, the Silky Fowl, to that town of fools. I could swear Shirou would be the one to reveal that Mao was a Super Chef, but it was the wind this time. lol And next episode is going to introduce Shell already, can't wait!
Oct 11, 2019 4:33 PM

Feb 2011
I agree with others that it's a bit strange to start of at the black chicken episode and NOT the Super Chef arc. Regardless, it was super fun to see this literally hours after I completed watching the original show, which was a real treat.

Production-wise, I liked pretty much everything. Art looks nice, not as colorful as the original but still fine. Character designs are different but more faithful to the manga, only too bad about Mao and Chouyu's hair colors being just black now instead of nice blue and green, but oh well. New VA's are fine as well, I didn't really expect the old ones to reprise their roles anyway, even though that would've been fantastic. OP and ED are also really nice, Brian the Sun is always nice :3

Can't wait for next episode introducing Shell!

valoon said:
Ha they had us fooled, when they said it would be "Shin Chuuka Ichiban", they literally meant Shin aka new! So a reboot instead of adapting the Shin Chuuka Ichiban Manga...

Also the episode selection is quite strange. While Black Chicken is probably one of the best episodes of that arc, it's a bit strange of a choice. They could have made the first Arc into a 50 Min episode maybe, so they would be smoothly here if done right.

Now I'm even more interested to see if this will just reboot some episodes, reboot the remaining anime or even continuing into Shin Chuuka Ichiban eventually?
Funny thing is, I checked out the manga a bit just before watching this episode and it seems the original Chuuka Ichiban anime adapted the entire first manga AND quite a bit of Shin Chuuka Ichiban, but the anime ended before that manga was done when you look at the publishing years. According to the fansubs in the eyecatch of episode 49, episodes 49-52 are anime original too.

What I think is that this show will be around 24-26 episodes with the first half being a faster-paced remake from the eps 20-48 and the second half will adapt the bits of Shin Chuuka Ichiban which were never adapted back then. The translations I found online go up to volume 5 of Shin which contains:
Oct 11, 2019 4:54 PM
Jul 2019
wolfwing said:
Zerity said:

So I just need to watch the first 19 EPs of the 90's series then I can start watching this new season?
Oct 11, 2019 5:12 PM
Jun 2016
Redd017 said:
wolfwing said:

So I just need to watch the first 19 EPs of the 90's series then I can start watching this new season?

well can't say for 100% sure, they might back trek or skip ahead, but if they keep things as this episode and next is yeah the first 19 episodes.
Oct 11, 2019 6:01 PM
Jul 2019
Reason that it starts 1/2 way is due to the Manga, Shin Chuuka Ichiban.

Which starts at the same spot, after he get's his Super Chef title.
Oct 11, 2019 6:07 PM

Feb 2011
blazinblazin said:

I literally just caught on to this and wanted to post a message but you beat me to it lol.
The Black Chicken is literally Shin Chuuka Ichiban's first chapter.
Oct 11, 2019 6:28 PM
Jun 2016
blazinblazin said:

ahhhh makes sense, also this is the start of the legendary arc.
Oct 11, 2019 6:50 PM
Jul 2017
It was refreshing to see Cooking Master Boy... I was in grade school when I watch the first episode of this. I supposed this is some sort of reebot and a sequel from the original TV series, and I'm looking forward to see more of this.
Oct 11, 2019 8:26 PM

Mar 2019
wolfwing said:
Zerity said:

Wait I'm confused, the original Anime is listed with 52 Episodes, but you only have to watch 19 to catch up? That's confusing. I'm really interested in this series due to its art style and character design and really wanna watch it, but I don't want to be lost.
Oct 11, 2019 8:32 PM
Jun 2016
RegalTheReaL said:
wolfwing said:

Wait I'm confused, the original Anime is listed with 52 Episodes, but you only have to watch 19 to catch up? That's confusing. I'm really interested in this series due to its art style and character design and really wanna watch it, but I don't want to be lost.

this is apparently based upon the shin chuuka ichiban series that starts with episode 19 in the original series, but they didn't finish the arc.
Oct 11, 2019 8:34 PM

Jul 2017
Weird place to start this, but I can't complain. I had a blast as the nostalgia hit me strong, and it was paced very well too. Lovely to see the awesome Mao back again!

And I'll say it again (first time here), Chuuka Ichiban > Shokugeki no Soma anyday, anytime. So glad to have this series back!
Oct 11, 2019 10:56 PM

Jul 2017
"Chūka Ichiban! is written and illustrated by Etsushi Ogawa. It was serialized in Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine from October 11, 1995 to May 19, 1999. From 1995 to 1996 it was serialized as Chūka Ichiban!, however, during serialization, the character '真' was added, so from 1997 to 1999, it was serialized as Shin Chūka Ichiban! (真・中華一番!, True ver. - The best in Chinese (food)!)."

So the original Chuuka Ichiban did adapt the parts of Shin Chuuka Ichiban, but didn't finish since the anime ended in 1998 and the manga ended in 1999.

Would've been better if they just adapted from the beginning but whatever
Oct 11, 2019 11:30 PM
Jun 2017
Wow!!! I have watched this one during my elementary days thats why i am surprised i have seen this title. I taught its a reboot but well its a sequel. Well i love this series when i was a kid way back then so i have appreciated this one.

Hmm.. and guess what This days airs 2 cooking show genre- shokugeki and this one... its going to be a cookfest day
Oct 12, 2019 4:04 AM

Dec 2011
I have missed this anime and nice to see that it is not a direct sequel where the old anime ends as i heard it was an anime original. Can't wait to see Shell next episode..
kaitonicOct 12, 2019 4:12 AM
Oct 12, 2019 4:08 AM
Mar 2018
I enjoy cooking anime so I am sure that I am going to enjoy this. On that note, those judges have really taken the chicken thing a step further by actually looking like chicken...HEHE.
Oct 12, 2019 5:57 AM

Jun 2013
I liked it but didn't love it since it's continuing from episode 19 or 20. I still remember this episode being one of my favorites and next episode too since I'm a huge dimsum fan. I think their appearance is softer, if I recall correctly Fei wasn't in the 90s version, him being there was pretty funny.

This remake is going to be my feel good series of the season because it brings back so many memories.
臭い-
Oct 12, 2019 7:26 AM

May 2012
I might watch the original if I have time

What motivates me to watch it is this woman
https://myanimelist.net/character/111243/Shan
Oct 12, 2019 9:43 AM

Aug 2014
I really don't like the glossy look, but otherwise a pretty good start. Love that the judges looked and sounded like chicken. The original was one of the first and favorite things I read in Jump, especially liked the focus on Chinese cuisine and the tournament. Unfortunate that it's somewhat of a sequel, that's bound to turn some away even though it shouldn't be a problem starting from here. Also sucks as it's no doubt overshadowed by Shokugeki, but perhaps it may get a boost by being that other cooking show airing in the same season.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 12, 2019 11:28 AM

Dec 2014
welll I actually enjoed the first episode.... hmm
Oct 12, 2019 12:42 PM
Jul 2019
There's a restaurant double collab.

Shokugeki no Soma x Shin Chuuka Ichiban

https://cookpad-studio.com/collabo1
Oct 12, 2019 9:14 PM

Oct 2008
After watching Shokugeki S4, this show felt like mediocre chinese cook show! lolz
4/5.

Oct 12, 2019 10:08 PM

Nov 2012
wolfwing said:
Ahegyao said:

Thanks! I wanted to know that, too.
Oct 12, 2019 10:23 PM
Jun 2016
dragynfaerie said:
wolfwing said:

sounds like this is based on the manga sequel, that got partly adapted in the original series before it ended :> So this is where the manga starts.
Oct 12, 2019 10:56 PM
Apr 2015
Can I watch this without watch the previous one? I completely forget about that. Because I watch this when I was little.
Oct 12, 2019 10:59 PM

Nov 2012
[quote=wolfwing message=58507722]
dragynfaerie said:
wolfwing said:

sounds like this is based on the manga sequel, that got partly adapted in the original series before it ended :> So this is where the manga starts.

Makes sense then. It looks like they plan to tell the story via flashback. I'm just going to marathon the first 19 so I don't feel like I missed something. I may watch them simultaneously like I did Hunter x Hunter.
Oct 13, 2019 2:29 AM
Jan 2017
Can anyone help me understand? I thought this was 2nd season but I think the black chicken episode is a repeat?

An enligthenment is appreciated.
Oct 14, 2019 4:02 AM

Jul 2017
@Zensenjabz the original manga never wrapped things up eventfully, so this sequel manga was created to continue things where the original left off. In the 97-98 series, this arc happened at Episode 19, missing the first 18 episodes known as the Super Chef arc. With this, Mao is essentially known as the super Chef before all this occurred. Hope this clarifies for anyone and everyone.

With this, it definitely felt weird to start off at Episode 19 of the original series, but due to the manga source labelled as "New", they literally meant it with Mao at this point already being acknowledged as the Cooking Master Boy at this moment.

But really, a reboot/sequel of the original is still nice, though it has the same feeling of said series with updated visuals and recurring characters that are reminiscent of 20+ years ago, the very first AND TRUE "Shokugeki no Soma" that we've come to know and love all these years.
Oct 14, 2019 3:12 PM
Oct 2019
Be honest im disappointed.. i though will be sequell but not... every aspect i see in episode 1 not better than old one
Oct 14, 2019 7:36 PM
Jan 2019
It is a pity that Shokugeki no Soma has already shown us this formula and at a much higher level, in addition the fourth season is transmitted this season and on the same day, this new anime will have it very difficult, but hey, those who decide to see it enjoy.
Oct 15, 2019 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
I didn't realise it was gonna be a sequel, guess I have to watch the original now.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 15, 2019 3:56 PM

Feb 2012
Does anyone know if the ending is using footage from real life locations?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 16, 2019 8:45 AM

Jun 2013
Holy moly it's been forever since I watched the first series.
Oct 22, 2019 12:09 AM

Oct 2010
WolfDBreidi said:
It is a pity that Shokugeki no Soma has already shown us this formula and at a much higher level, in addition the fourth season is transmitted this season and on the same day, this new anime will have it very difficult, but hey, those who decide to see it enjoy.

Shokugeki no Soma's author said that Chuuka Ichiban was one of the inspirations for his manga in the first place so it makes sense that it basically polished the idea further.

It was mentioned in this interview here btw:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-09-13/interview-the-creators-of-food-wars/.151017
Sakubo777Oct 22, 2019 12:15 AM
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Oct 24, 2019 12:21 PM

Mar 2019
Didn't know this was a sequel, but with this animes is hard to get lost, i feel like i could keep watching from here.

It definitely has that 90's anime feel with modern and nice looking designs.
Oct 26, 2019 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
How far in the manga do I need to go to catch up to ep 1. Rather do that than watch 19 eps of the orig since I'mw atching so many shows right now
Nov 3, 2019 2:41 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Whoops. I should definitely watch the original first. I had lowkey planned to, but hey.
Though, I guess I mostly understood what was happening. It's only near the end when they started talking more about stuff that happened before where I was like, "Oh shoot back up".
I'll be back eventually.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

18 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 27, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

10 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 27, 2023 9:23 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2019

17 by sailoricy »»
Nov 8, 2022 9:07 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

7 by Hikari247 »»
Nov 7, 2022 11:45 AM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

10 by doctorminsuks »»
Sep 21, 2022 11:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.