Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2019 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shit, I wasn't expecting an actual sword battle. I mean, in a cooking show...

But then again, this anime can be a bit crazy sometimes so in a nutshell, this series' finale made a bit of impact.

Sequel got announced.
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/361444
Stark700Dec 27, 2019 10:11 AM
Dec 27, 2019 11:46 AM

Jul 2017
At first i was expecting a sequel to the 90's anime, not a reboot. And tbh, this reboot doesn't catch the charm of the old series. The cooking battles didn't feel so impactful this time around.. Well, i did love the old series, and i wanted to see where the story would go from where it ended. We'll get to see that now in a 2nd season. Hopefully its handled way better than this reboot.

9/10 for the original series, 5/10 for this one. (since it was a reboot, my score is a bit more harsh, then again, depending on how this new season is handled, because it's new material that hasn't been adapted yet, at least after this arc is over, my score might just take a big upgrade)
Dec 27, 2019 12:50 PM
Sep 2015
I read this since before I know how to yaoi ship, but now when I watch this I'm like wowowowow wait why Mao and Shao An have such a good chemistry together!

Also a big YES to sequel, I need to watch it until the end, or if better, a new ending that is different from manga.
Dec 27, 2019 3:04 PM
Nov 2019
WaterLord said:
At first i was expecting a sequel to the 90's anime, not a reboot. And tbh, this reboot doesn't catch the charm of the old series. The cooking battles didn't feel so impactful this time around.. Well, i did love the old series, and i wanted to see where the story would go from where it ended. We'll get to see that now in a 2nd season. Hopefully its handled way better than this reboot.

9/10 for the original series, 5/10 for this one. (since it was a reboot, my score is a bit more harsh, then again, depending on how this new season is handled, because it's new material that hasn't been adapted yet, at least after this arc is over, my score might just take a big upgrade)

phantomfandom said:
I read this since before I know how to yaoi ship, but now when I watch this I'm like wowowowow wait why Mao and Shao An have such a good chemistry together!

Also a big YES to sequel, I need to watch it until the end, or if better, a new ending that is different from manga.
phantomfandom said:

a lot of condense plot, subtle change, eh bloodlessness battles, and disappointing fei cameo inserts. at least finish remaking this arc. i really thought this is a direct sequel retcon the anime made filler + ending of the 90s version. however, they chose to remake an incomplete chuuka. soma is getting a wrap up season unsurpisingly. idk about this.
Well, it's Not as bad as the racist uneducated frock @doomranger mentions in the front page review. Shougeki soma =better character development + reactions and chuuka ichiban is just plainly ripping off it. I don't think people watch soma for disappointing snooze fest competitions other than ecchi reactions. The anime was subpar in the beginning, but took a deep dive after the messy Azami plot and never recovered. It's like kenichi manga with the long overdue battle with yomi.
GameHotelHDec 27, 2019 3:08 PM
Dec 27, 2019 3:37 PM
Nov 2019
https://myanimelist.net/anime/110/Chuuka_Ichiban @doomranger should check out the original version and reviews , but we might be labeled as boomer. History aside, japanese love chinese food and have a place dedicated to selling chinese food in japan. a lot of anime are inspired by japanese folk lore such as dbz and fushigi yugi etc, Chuuka Ichiban is the cooking version of the original japanese (non usa 4kids dub) yugioh anime. A young hero going up against all odds making friends with rivals, enemies, etc together to take down an evil organization/entity. Exaggerating theme featuring some high stakes life and death situations. In term of cooking animes goes soma was inspired by the likes of chuuka and yakitate japan, the Gintama ott parody/reaction of cooking anime. Honestly, soma nowadays is pretty animation, sexy appeal, and no depths or substance after season 2.
Dec 27, 2019 5:45 PM
Jun 2017
Xiang is a cheater thats why she just made a simple dish...

And that Mao vs Shao An fight is exciting. Well lets see if this will be a OVA one in the future as this episode is the last one for the said series.
Dec 27, 2019 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
I liked the first series but this version felt so dull

5/10
Dec 27, 2019 6:54 PM

Jul 2017
Whew, finally this this reboot is over, and my review's out anyways, so judging from an immense fan of the OG, this was extremely uninteresting to say the most. @GameHotelH @DoomRanger FYI.

The sequel is as promising as the translation chapters it manages to come out with as the anime has caught onto the manga (continuation) so far. @WaterLord let's just hope that it will be better, really driving me mad about it.
@phantomfandom did you ever watch the OG?

Anyways, the ending was fine, Xiang knew how to adjourn for her mistakes by cunningly cheating in the brazen of ways possible whilst Leon tried to his very best. But not without mistake that Leon's misfortune led to Xiang's fortune, and that she fulfilled what Leon could not have done. Certainly, the greatest skillmaker Ra Che has made his mark on both of them, with his final messages.

The finale between Mao and Shouan, as depicted in the 1st 18 episodes of the OG, the rivalry of why Mao and the Underworld Cooking Society exists. Certainty a bloodshed battle to settle their affairs past, and now.

Looking forward to the non-surprised sequel regardless, if they ever hope to capture the essence of the OG of 20 years ago.

KANLen09Dec 30, 2019 2:16 AM
Dec 27, 2019 7:26 PM
Sep 2015
KANLen09 said:

Yes, I watch it first in dub though my local channel which aired 7 years later than Japanese broadcast, and because I like the anime and can't wait next week for the next episode, just before anime end I went to read manga until the end.

I'm a little bit sad that the original anime end at earlier point that manga, but I also not sure about manga final arc, which escalated very quickly, it almost like the publication (Weekly Shonen Magazine) is trying to force the manga to stop to make room for new manga.

About this remake, I dare say that this mellow soft style animation is what the manga author want to draw in the first place, but because of the lack of his skill and technology and trend at that time, the manga and original anime style look closer to Fist of the North Star instead.
Dec 27, 2019 8:00 PM

Jul 2017
phantomfandom said:
KANLen09 said:

Yes, I watch it first in dub though my local channel which aired 7 years later than Japanese broadcast, and because I like the anime and can't wait next week for the next episode, just before anime end I went to read manga until the end.

I'm a little bit sad that the original anime end at earlier point that manga, but I also not sure about manga final arc, which escalated very quickly, it almost like the publication (Weekly Shonen Magazine) is trying to force the manga to stop to make room for new manga.

About this remake, I dare say that this mellow soft style animation is what the manga author want to draw in the first place, but because of the lack of his skill and technology and trend at that time, the manga and original anime style look closer to Fist of the North Star instead.

To be exact, the manga ended at Episode 18 of the OG where thereafter fillers are placed so that it doesn't overtake the manga (at that point of time). If you'd never read my review (which I've awhile ago), the serialization is mostly to blame here.

About the manga and original anime style, yes, sadly by 1990s standards technology wasn't so advanced they'd have to rip off like Hokuto no Ken style, but that's what I liked about the over-zaniness of the anime, it wasn't like anything ever seen back at that time, and even for a cooking show, it was flabbergasting for all the right reasons, and was endearing to me for just that.

The reboot was a soft mellow style that whether by hook or by crook the author wanted it to be that way, but then again it's like 20 years past so I'd bet that it wouldn't make a significant change.
Dec 27, 2019 9:57 PM

Jun 2013
I will be one of those people who will say: THE ORIGINAL WAS MUCH BETTER. I remember wathcing Chuuka Ichiban on cable TV and it was entitled Cooking Master Boy. I watched it over and over again because I love Anime and I love Chinese food. This adaptation was okay, extremely rushed but the animation was pretty good but at the same time, a little lackluster. The original style had a roughness that I liked. However, despite it, I'll still watch the second season. I want to see if they'll adapt things from the manga that the first Anime adaptations stopped animating.

This remake gets a 5/10 from me.
臭い-
Dec 28, 2019 7:07 PM

Sep 2011
This reeked of a cash grab. The number of still frames, the awful voice direction, the uninspired writing, the low animation quality. Nothing about this felt like they were trying to improve anything. Production I.G. and Nihon Ad Systems are better than this. What the hell happened?
Dec 29, 2019 4:51 AM

Sep 2011
I expected this to go further than the original anime, but somehow it ended up with less closure than it. But well, a second season was confirmed after all, so maybe it will work out somehow.
Dec 29, 2019 7:07 AM

Nov 2019
Lol poor guy but that was low-key hilarious, getting stabbed twice by two different people you trusted and by the knives you made yourself
Jan 2, 2020 8:06 AM
Sep 2019
There's gonna be a sequel series for those who haven't heard. I'm stoked. SOURCE
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Jan 8, 2020 5:51 AM
May 2019
Shan looks really a very clean woman putting those act. I'm sitll bothered by those very shining effect in the characters. The food looks good they're more appealing than the previous anime it had. But I think the original was far more superior than this. I think that Chuuka Ichiban doesn't suit in this kind of graphics.
Mar 27, 2020 10:51 AM

Apr 2011
I'm glad to see this series again. But compared to the first series its not as good. Its like watching the first again but with a small difference.
May 26, 2021 6:27 AM

Jul 2015
Lache got quite the cruel death here by getting stabbed with knives he created again. Him appearing and the second set vanishing makes less sense given that the knives have been recreated instead of already been made at the time of the first set like in the original series.

Enjoyable season but not as good as the original in my opinion considering its pretty rushed with a lot of details missing both in story and animation.

Oct 27, 2023 10:22 PM

Mar 2022
Murdering is definitely wrong, but I really dont blame her for her cooking tactic.. All's Fair in Love & War

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

10 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 27, 2023 9:23 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2019

17 by sailoricy »»
Nov 8, 2022 9:07 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

7 by Hikari247 »»
Nov 7, 2022 11:45 AM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

10 by doctorminsuks »»
Sep 21, 2022 11:31 AM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2019

13 by doctorminsuks »»
Sep 21, 2022 11:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.