Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 12, 2018 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, the intensity in Ayano's eyes...

Almost feels like she's a different person compared to before. Personally, I think the match between her and Kaoruko had a good amount of integrity. This was definitely Kaoruko's most intense match on-screen so far.

Felt like a very emotional episode for Kaoruko too.
Aug 12, 2018 9:32 AM

Apr 2016
I wonder why they the mom didn't appear at all in here.

Also still haven't seen a certain character who should be here by now.
Major_GilbertAug 12, 2018 10:40 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Aug 12, 2018 9:36 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode.

Goddamn, Ayanon with that madness in her eyes. Holy shit! Her mental state is totally regressing to what was back in middle school.

I think they did a really good job of bringing out Kaoruko's character. In all honesty, I was actually rooting for Kaoruko. I wanted her to win at least one game.
It was a classic battle of Hard Work vs Genius Talent and I generally always tend to root for the characters who work and try their hardest to win cause those are the characters I can relate to and the ones I find the most endearing. Watching Kaoruko try her best to overcome the massive wall that is Ayanon was very compelling, I was really cheering for her during the final play and I was really hoping that final cut shot made it across the net. Real shame it didn't make it and I felt really sad for Kaoruko when she lost. :(

Ayanon was so savage after the match by offering that handkerchief to Kaoruko, like damn.

The scene with Kaoruko crying while stretching made me pretty emotional. You did your best Kaoruko, don't give up! You might not have won but the work you put in will never fail you. :(

I really liked Ayanon in the early episodes but lately she just feels so cold and distant that I'm not sure I can root for her like I did before. That final scene where she completely disrespects Kaoruko kinda made me dislike her a bit. Something needs to be done about the madness in her eyes.

Fantastic match presentation as always especially for the final play by Kaoruko. I hope they keep up the great work!

Wonder what happened to Ayanon's Mom though, she appeared in the previous episode but was nowhere to be seen here.
Lelouch0202Aug 12, 2018 9:43 AM
Aug 12, 2018 9:54 AM

Mar 2013
Wanna use it?

Well this is what you get for not respecting your opponent before the game. The thing is: Ayano is doing the same: "winning is the only thing that matters".
Aug 12, 2018 9:59 AM
Mar 2018
Can someone explain to me why the fuck anime about badminton is so depressing lol?
Aug 12, 2018 10:01 AM
Aug 2015
Given that Ayanon feels that Kaoruko's previous unsportsmanlike conduct untimately led to her mother abandoning her, I think it's perfectly human for her to want to get some back. Kaoruko gets taught a humiliating lesson, but if she's a real competitor then it will serve to make her stronger. If it makes her choke up on the asshat attitude a bit, it would do wonders for her charisma.

Ayanon's PTSD continues to exhibit. I prescribe some onsen action. Okay, that's really for me.
Aug 12, 2018 10:08 AM

Nov 2009
Frankly, Kaoruko had it coming with her bitchy attitude and mocking Ayano on a few occasions, she deserved to have it all backfire on her and lose and I don't feel sorry for her at all. Now I need to see that arrogant mother-stealing bitch Connie lose too, and I'm satisfied.

While Ayano's mindstate can't be called healthy when she's in badminton killing machine mode (and her mother is to blame for that), she's such a badass and it's still a pleasure to watch her.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Aug 12, 2018 10:28 AM

Jun 2014
This was quite the intense episode that resulted in Ayano getting revenge on Kaoruko. I don't really like this state that Ayano is currently in, but it was still satisfying to see her win. I'm surprised her mom didn't appear in this episode, even if it was just a brief shot of her seeing her victory.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 12, 2018 10:28 AM
Mar 2018
costmuffled said:
Given that Ayanon feels that Kaoruko's previous unsportsmanlike conduct untimately led to her mother abandoning her, I think it's perfectly human for her to want to get some back. Kaoruko gets taught a humiliating lesson, but if she's a real competitor then it will serve to make her stronger. If it makes her choke up on the asshat attitude a bit, it would do wonders for her charisma.

Ayanon's PTSD continues to exhibit. I prescribe some onsen action. Okay, that's really for me.

Humiliation was in manga

Aug 12, 2018 10:32 AM

Feb 2018
That match in this episode is insane. and Ayano is too savage with that handkierchief.
Aug 12, 2018 10:33 AM

Feb 2018
SNDT said:
Can someone explain to me why the fuck anime about badminton is so depressing lol?

I'm not sure but this series has tag Seinen and have more conflict and character development when shonen sports will focus on a match and training more.
Aug 12, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2015
This was intense. Fuck that Pink-haired girl. Gets what she deserved

AND WHEN AYANO LENT HER HANDKERCHIEF SO SAVAGE LMFAO
Aug 12, 2018 10:54 AM
May 2017
Honestly I didn't really like Hanesaki but now I dislike her completly. I was all in for Karuoko even though her lost was obvious.

And there is something I don't really understand, are Hanesaki and Aragaki in different tournament ? Because it looked like it's the semi-final so I guess if Aragaki plays Nozomi (I think it was her name) then Hanesaki plays Connie to play the final? Or I misunderstood something?
Aug 12, 2018 10:59 AM

Jun 2016
Ayano was a beast this episode. Twin tails got what she deserved.

Aug 12, 2018 11:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was some intense Episode!

Ayanon has completely lost it! Like, for real. Savage and unsportsmanlike, all a little too abruptly though in my opinion. Animation was on point this Epsiode, meanwhile and I’m glad to see that. Kaoruko was asking for a humiliation and she got just that. Overconfidence always betrays, after all, and it pains even more! Poor Kaoruko.

Looks like the next epsiode will focus more on the Captain of the team, so I’m looking forward to that!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 12, 2018 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
Yabai Ayano in yandere mode again. The handkierchief scene at the end was so savage
Can't wait for next episode

Aug 12, 2018 11:10 AM

Dec 2017
the only episode i can stand behind so far. some brutal game with those dead eyes was so enjoyable to watch instead of that constant whining and drama
Aug 12, 2018 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
KanashiiSekai said:
Honestly I didn't really like Hanesaki but now I dislike her completly. I was all in for Karuoko even though her lost was obvious.

Seriously?

This girl who is so bonkers that she intentionally infected Ayano in their childhood days with a cold? Who has been nothing but disrespectful and mean-spirited not only to Ayano, but to all of her teammates as well?
Aug 12, 2018 11:26 AM
Mar 2017
Wow this episode was intense as hell
first congratulation Ayano, you deserve the victory (we all know why)
Ayano went with everything she had against Kaoruko, the pink hair girl never stand a chance to win, she always thought she was a good sportswoman, but let's be honest, Ayano was completely focus on winning and humiliate the person who caused her misfortune (remember Ayano thinks her mother leaves because she lost against Kaoruko in middle school)

So in the end, Kaoruko deserve losing this match, i hate her attitude, feeling like the perfect sportswoman, and of course that moment when Ayano offer the handkerchief that Kaoruko gave her before the match hahaha, good job Ayano, your revenge is almost complete, next victim is Connie
Next episode is Nagisa VS Nozomi, the girl that wins against Riko

Personally this episode was satisfactory
Aug 12, 2018 11:32 AM

Apr 2012
SNDT said:

I also don't know why, but it makes the adaptation a damn unique. This is the first time I see a careless and cheerful manga turn into a full agnsty melodrama anime.

Aug 12, 2018 11:38 AM
Mar 2011
KanashiiSekai said:

And there is something I don't really understand, are Hanesaki and Aragaki in different tournament ? Because it looked like it's the semi-final so I guess if Aragaki plays Nozomi (I think it was her name) then Hanesaki plays Connie to play the final? Or I misunderstood something?

I'm pretty sure Connie is not at this tournament but at a different prefectural tournament or something.
My Karma ran over your Dogma
Aug 12, 2018 11:53 AM

Jan 2009
As someone who has been playing Badminton, too - this episode had some _fantastic_ and very realistic animation. It's those little details which might be gotten lost for people without play experience.

Like Ayano waiting after a center high clear to see if the shuttle goes out, looking behind her, realizing it will get in, and then playing a very late emergency underhand clear which ends up too short, so Kaoruko kills it with a smash (to 1:5).

Both of them have been playing some beastly cuts. And especially the medium rally at 20:17 in the first set was absolutely lovely. I'm amazed by the animators' skill (even though I'm convinced they're simply converting some live footage), and it sure makes me want to return to the court someday. Only the sound effect for Kaoruko's final cross was off (this one would have been very quiet).

Finally: The anime is taking some major liberties with the manga original. I wonder how far they're going to push it. Do we know if Hanebado is 1 or 2 seasons?
Aug 12, 2018 11:54 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
this is so sexy its not even funny

i need more of this in my life...
Aug 12, 2018 11:58 AM

Jul 2007
Ayano went full Sasuke.

By the way, you guys see that coach thought Aragaki was crying because she was going to have to play that his girl. That dude is a first ballot Hall of Fame asshole adding upon the mad crap and disrespect he was talking about Izumi before her match. I hope Aragaki trounces her.
Aug 12, 2018 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
spartan112g said:
Ayano went full Sasuke.

By the way, you guys see that coach thought Aragaki was crying because she was going to have to play that his girl. That dude is a first ballot Hall of Fame asshole adding upon the mad crap and disrespect he was talking about Izumi before her match. I hope Aragaki trounces her.

Are you talking about Ishizawa's coach?
Aug 12, 2018 12:24 PM

Jul 2007
RobertBobert said:
spartan112g said:
Ayano went full Sasuke.

Yup, he went to see how Aragaki was doing and only saw her backside while she was stretching, so it looked like she was crying. He then went back to Ishizawa and said “Just as I thought. She’s already finished.”
Aug 12, 2018 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
spartan112g said:
RobertBobert said:

Yup, he went to see how Aragaki was doing and only saw her backside while she was stretching, so it looked like she was crying. He then went back to Ishizawa and said “Just as I thought. She’s already finished.”

Hmm. Well, I'm not sure that we understood this scene the same, but in the manga he really was not nice, as far as I remember. In any case, I wonder how the anime adapts the Aragaki match against Ishizawa, especially the chemistry between Nagisa and her coach / rival.

Aug 12, 2018 12:40 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Pretty good ep. The match was intense between Serigaya and Ayano and it seems Serigaya really underestimated her. Hopefully she'll learn never to boast about winning beforehand again.
Aug 12, 2018 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
Really awesome episode
I'm already feeling sad this anime has only 13 episodes
Aug 12, 2018 1:14 PM
Dec 2017
KanashiiSekai said:

So you chose the girl who sabotaged their match when they were younger? Hanesaki might not be a saint, but Karuoko had it coming to her with the taunting before the match too.
Aug 12, 2018 1:33 PM

Feb 2014
Ever since last week, I've been praying that this episode would have Ayano giving Kaoruko the defeat and humiliation that she deserves. Thankfully, my hopes came true and even then, it's still enjoyable to see just how savage Ayano can be.

The animation for their match was, once again, really impressive. Coming from someone who plays badminton a few times a week, the way that Ayano and Kaoruko placed themselves to either smash or return the shuttlecock over the net was immense. There was some really aggressive shots close to the net that requires perfect timing to get right. A fraction of a second too early or late and it'll cost you a point.

@Lelouch0202 Honestly, I understand why Ayano is becoming a bit less likeable. The way her eyes were during the whole match is certainly creepy and also really worrying her friend, Elena, with her whole possessive and cold attitude. However, since her opponent was Kaoruko, the same girl who's been trash-talking her since she lost to her in the past and has sabotaged her before as well, it was the chase of 'What goes around, comes back around'. In this case only, Kaoruko did deserve the savage beatdown that Ayano gave her. Now that her Ayano has won against her, I do hope that someone can help her change her personality back to normal.

Next week should be thrilling with Nagisa back in action for her next match, but her opponent's coach sounds like an arrogant bastard to me. Can someone put him in his place as soon as possible? =P
Aug 12, 2018 2:13 PM
May 2017
hah, I know it is leading up to no good, but it was satisfying AF

Aug 12, 2018 2:25 PM
Nov 2013
Man, is it just me, or is ayano kinda going full on yandere mode? I mean, it's not that she's so "in", i feel like she really did go yandere more...she looks completely insane , broke.

And the way story with her mother being...also a bit crazy, goes...

I wonder....it's a bit crazy theory, i know but....i'm starting to wonder if the whole thing with her mother, isn't really all about taking that blonde haired girl instead of ayano, to actually break ayano mentally and intentionally get her to this "bat shit insane" level, because she "knew" ayano would play her best in such "mode" ..... She does look crazy enough to do it..
ZockyAug 12, 2018 2:48 PM
Aug 12, 2018 2:50 PM
May 2017
SRASinister said:
KanashiiSekai said:

I'm pretty sure Connie is not at this tournament but at a different prefectural tournament or something.

Oh I didn't think about it. Thank you

Mentar said:

This girl who is so bonkers that she intentionally infected Ayano in their childhood days with a cold? Who has been nothing but disrespectful and mean-spirited not only to Ayano, but to all of her teammates as well?

You have a point, I didn't mean it like that, as a character she did and still does awful thing. But, I wanted her to win not because I dislike Hanesaki but because Karuoko showed that she's a hard worker and I really liked the way they protrayed that in this episode. It's like "Hard work vs Talent" and obviously I'll chose Hard Work everytime.

In the end, I don't like Hanesaki, Karuoko's not better, but I liked how she played with passion showing her hard work.

TheseusR said:

So you chose the girl who sabotaged their match when they were younger? Hanesaki might not be a saint, but Karuoko had it coming to her with the taunting before the match too.

Yes, she did something awful and unforgivable when they were younger but, I don't know, I wasn't really thinking about this during their match so you have a point. Thinking about that I shouldn't be on her side too much.

Concerning the taunting, it's something that happen in sport so I didn't have bad feeling about it, considering the fact that she admits after that Hanesaki is a really good players. But she really was overconfident.

What I really liked about Karuoko this episode is her passion and the work she put in to beat Hanesaki and that is why I kinda wanted Karuoko to win.
KanashiiSekaiAug 12, 2018 2:56 PM
Aug 12, 2018 3:10 PM
Dec 2017

Yes, she did something awful and unforgivable when they were younger but, I don't know, I wasn't really thinking about this during their match so you have a point. Thinking about that I shouldn't be on her side too much.

Concerning the taunting, it's something that happen in sport so I didn't have bad feeling about it, considering the fact that she admits after that Hanesaki is a really good players. But she really was overconfident.

What I really liked about Karuoko this episode is her passion and the work she put in to beat Hanesaki and that is why I kinda wanted Karuoko to win.

I see what you mean, there are no perfect moral characters, which is nice because that is real life too.
Aug 12, 2018 3:19 PM

Dec 2014
Meta_Yoshi said:

@Lelouch0202 Honestly, I understand why Ayano is becoming a bit less likeable. The way her eyes were during the whole match is certainly creepy and also really worrying her friend, Elena, with her whole possessive and cold attitude. However, since her opponent was Kaoruko, the same girl who's been trash-talking her since she lost to her in the past and has sabotaged her before as well, it was the chase of 'What goes around, comes back around'. In this case only, Kaoruko did deserve the savage beatdown that Ayano gave her. Now that her Ayano has won against her, I do hope that someone can help her change her personality back to normal.

From what I understand, it looks like Kaoruko beat Ayanon only once because of that cold sabotage while she's lost every other time against her. Considering that's how we got introduced to her character I get why most people hate her and I'm not gonna defend what she did cause that was really low of her. That said, Ayanon has been acting really cold ever since the training camp and the match against Connie. Most people seem to be fine with the way Ayanon was acting in the match since the one on the receiving end was Kaoruko but I personally disliked the way she acted and her attitude doesn't seem to be improving as evident from the last scene. I'm under the impression that playing badminton competitively again is regressing her mental state and awakening all her past trauma. I hope someone can snap her out of it soon.
Aug 12, 2018 3:22 PM

May 2018

Oooooh too bad for Karuoko, boo hoo hooo, she got owned by Hanesaki, Hanesaki should have thrown that hanky to Karuoko after wiping her sweat, Even when baeten she's still a bitch. I wonder who is that guy checking out Nagisa??????
Aug 12, 2018 3:33 PM

Aug 2013
I find it annoying how most people blame on talent when Ayano is much better than them when they don't even know Ayano's background. She had been practicing badminton ever since she was like 5(?) with the national champion. Meanwhile, characters like the forehead girl started when she was 5th grade. Don't start blaming on talents unless you have put in the same amount of effort.

Also, it looks like Ayano is the antagonist of this arc. Hope Aragaki put some sense into her at finals.
Aug 12, 2018 3:34 PM

Oct 2012
Her eyes... really act like plot dictates, right? Speaking of character depth, Ayano has none.

Anyway, did they just completely ditch that cliffhanger from the last episode with her mother?
Aug 12, 2018 3:44 PM

Jul 2017
I really loved the action in this episode. It was very intense and the strategies Kaoruko tried to use was actually pretty smart but Hanesaki was just too strong for her in the end.

Hanebado! may be too heavy handed with its drama but damn that badminton action more than makes up for it :)
Aug 12, 2018 3:44 PM

Aug 2015
RobertBobert said:
SNDT said:

I also don't know why, but it makes the adaptation a damn unique. This is the first time I see a careless and cheerful manga turn into a full agnsty melodrama anime.

If I read correctly in the manga the "cheerful" part is only at the beggining than it turns like in the anime. So instead of having a huge tone shift they decided to go with a more serious route , since the beggining, to match the later parts of the manga (not a manga reader though)
CT_BINOAug 12, 2018 3:49 PM
Aug 12, 2018 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
CT_BINO said:
RobertBobert said:

If I read correctly in the manga the "cheerful" part is only at the beggining than it turns like in the anime. So instead of having a huge tone shift they decided to go with a more serious route , since the beggining, to match the later parts of the manga (not a manga reader though)

Yes, probably you are right. It seems to me that the author did not immediately understand what mood he would like for his story and / or they didn't want superfluous competition with the more entertaining Harukana in the same season.
Aug 12, 2018 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
Kaoruko had it coming,but lmao, I can't take Ayano crazy mode seriously.

The match dynamic was good,but I don't dig the drama.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 12, 2018 4:12 PM
May 2015
[quote=SNDT message=55430286]

Hold up.....in the anime it was 21-17 and 21-16, so they gave Kaoruko bonus points to not seem as much of a beatdown XD.

I love yandere Ayanon, as I do all my demented ladies lol.

BTW the hell her mom go, she was there last episode
Aug 12, 2018 4:23 PM

Apr 2018
This is definitely the best episode thus far. The Battle of Hard Work Vs. Talent between Kaoruko and Ayano was very reminiscent of Gaara Vs. Rock Lee during the Chunin Exams in Naruto. We got to see a much more intense side of Ayano along with a massive shift in attitude. I was secretly starting to root for Kaoruko as we got more backstory. But I’m starting to wonder how Arigaki will fair...
Minori Chihara <3
Aug 12, 2018 4:30 PM

Nov 2017

Best part of the episode

plz @ me
Aug 12, 2018 5:26 PM

Nov 2011
Yandere Ayanon is the best.
Hate Keeps me warm
Aug 12, 2018 5:34 PM

May 2017
This episode actually got me extremely hyped up, I highly enjoyed it. Kind of interested in why Ayano's mom didn't appear whatsoever in this episode though. Ayano's expression is seriously insane, if you see your opponent looking like that before a match, just know you're screwed.
Aug 12, 2018 5:35 PM

May 2017
HaruhiismX said:
This is definitely the best episode thus far. The Battle of Hard Work Vs. Talent between Kaoruko and Ayano was very reminiscent of Gaara Vs. Rock Lee during the Chunin Exams in Naruto. We got to see a much more intense side of Ayano along with a massive shift in attitude. I was secretly starting to root for Kaoruko as we got more backstory. But I’m starting to wonder how Arigaki will fair...

I highly agree. It looks like murderous intent.
Aug 12, 2018 5:56 PM

Apr 2008
lol we're well past the point this anime has any chance of being good whatsoever, but I still somewhat enjoy the ride

I actually felt sorry for Kaoruko for being owned this hard. She actually felt like another fucking human being for once instead of an overblown anime stereotype. Then I remembered the things she did before that: being a huge bitch to Ayano, dismissing her teammates - not in a way Connie did (nothing can top that shit), but it was still uncalled for. So yeah, she deserved it, 100 percent.
But any sympathy I've felt towards Ayano - which was minimal at best - is gone. She needs to snap out of it. At least I hope Nagisa wipes the floor with her.

Also fuck that creepy coach.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2018

209 by Destroyer31 »»
May 9, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

126 by Ronninn »»
Dec 10, 2022 10:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.