3It was OK
5.2%
2Disliked it
0.5%
1Hated it
1.9%
Average 4.7
212 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 31, 2018 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool, they actually got a video game tournament going this episode.

Really loved the intensity of the gameplay from Street Fighter. Haruo really wanted to prove himself to others. A very intense episode too as he expresses himself as a friend and rival to Oono.
Sep 1, 2018 11:11 PM
Aug 2015
You have any link for this episode? It's not yet released in any of the websites I know.
Sep 2, 2018 1:39 AM

Apr 2015
Yaguchi's definitely too much of an baka, close to the point of irritability.

But that's the whole concept of the show so guess I should just roll with it.
Sep 2, 2018 12:15 PM
Jan 2016
OMG i really love to see them playing together. They talk with game, they know each other with game. One of my favourite episode so far! Can't wait for eps. 9!
Sep 2, 2018 12:23 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I actually felt more sorry for Haruo rather than Ono.

His pride was in complete shambles once he knew of the broken buttons issue and it worsened his judgement of why she did it. He's a dumbass but a lovable, spirited one who pours his all into his only hobby.

They actually fought it out just like in a game, that's their own unique way of settling things it seems like. Really feels like they are communicating throughout the game world.

Great moment when Haruo noticed her ring, that's when everything calmed down and Ono's face softened :)
Sep 2, 2018 12:39 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

I liked how there was an actual game tournament to help get Haruo and Ono on good terms together again.

That dude who broke the cabinet was definitely Weevil Underwood. xD

Loved the scene where Haruo goes after Ono demanding an explanation of why she did what she did eventually leading to him saying that he was waiting for her all these years. The scene where he notices the ring was great too.

Miyao is a good friend. :)
Sep 2, 2018 1:49 PM

Mar 2018
Oh that scene where he notices Oono has been keeping that ring for years got me :')

Unlucky_Otaku said:
I can't find it anywhere!!!! Please help.!!!

Nyaa subbed by Anon
Sep 2, 2018 2:08 PM

Feb 2018
Lanz said:

I don't think he's as bad as typical mc's. In this case, its pretty established that he only loves video games, but even then he was able to admit while crying how much he wanted Oono to come back even if just to talk to her about games, and when he notices her ring, he understands that she wanted to meet him again too. He's getting closer to seeing what she really thinks about him and thats pretty good for a game obsessed middle schooler.
Sep 2, 2018 3:34 PM

Nov 2009
I'd spam the "Loved it!/Submit" button till it breaks if I could on this poll.
Sep 2, 2018 4:37 PM
May 2017
Cannot vote 6 out of 5!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Sep 2, 2018 6:42 PM

Feb 2017
I was going crazy this last days waiting to see this episode, and the wait was worth it, I've watched it three times, its my fav episode so far.
Sep 2, 2018 7:36 PM

May 2016
I knew by reading the manga that this ep had a lot of potential, but they exceeded my expectations. Amazing, all of it, especially the fight scene!
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Sep 2, 2018 8:54 PM

Mar 2009
Where was Daigo in that tournament?!

Felt bad for Yaguchi's friend. He's a good dude. And a hell of a lot more intuitive than Yaguchi is...

Gotta love how Guile always pops up to give Yaguchi some advice. Really great episode. I love this show.
Sep 2, 2018 8:58 PM

May 2010
We will be seeing "Stand Characters" more often because lack of dialogue from Ono xD
Sep 2, 2018 9:30 PM

Sep 2017
Damn, Oono really beat his ass after that tournament. When Haru was on top of Oono on she was punching him completely straight faced was pretty goofy. I'm glad they mostly worked everything out tho. Tbh it's pretty fitting that they would resolve the conflict with an irl fight.
Sep 2, 2018 10:51 PM

May 2015
"Turn right at the Indian." Excuse me what?

"It was something totally foreign to me as someone who never studied." Lol

Lol this Ryu commentator!

EHEHEHEHEHE He screwed up the Akuma code!

THE PUNCH BUTTONS WERE BROKEN? NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE WANTS TO WIN LIKE THAT! Well Ono kept it close even with kicks only, but if all of the buttons were working, she probably would have wiped the floor with him. There has to be an honest match between these two before the series ends!

Wow....Excellent drama here. Even though Haruo is the only one talking, the feeling is there. And hurt the girl! Blame her for not saying anything! Haruo crying, and then seeing that Ono is still carrying the ring that he gave her before...all of that was very well done. Best episode of the series so far.
TarotistSep 2, 2018 10:55 PM
Sep 3, 2018 12:32 AM

Apr 2015
ember_shot said:
Lanz said:

I don't think he's as bad as typical mc's. In this case, its pretty established that he only loves video games, but even then he was able to admit while crying how much he wanted Oono to come back even if just to talk to her about games, and when he notices her ring, he understands that she wanted to meet him again too. He's getting closer to seeing what she really thinks about him and thats pretty good for a game obsessed middle schooler.

Yyp, he's indeed better than the stereotypical harem MC as he has a reasonable background behind his dumbness

Still slightly outside a believable middle schooler maybe
Sep 3, 2018 2:29 AM

Mar 2014
So ever since Hidaka was introduced I felt kinda bad for her. She obviously likes him but of course all Haruo really cares about are games and his rivalry with Oono. While I myself ship Haruo and Oono I just can't help but feel bad for Hidaka (usually I tend to dislike third wheel characters but not Hidaka) however after this ep I'm pretty sure Hidaka might end up with Miyao which I'm totally cool with. Miyao is not dense like Haruo and is a really good friend so he and Hidaka would be good together.

Really loving this show so far, that second half with Oono and Haruo fighting it out was great.
Sep 3, 2018 3:59 AM

Jul 2017
Nice to see this SF tournament and everything in it was great. The aftermath was even better.
Sep 3, 2018 4:13 AM
Aug 2018
episode 8 is remarkable.. a turning point to the romantic story..
i hope high score girl will set an impression that romance anime is not limited to eroscene and hot character design..
Sep 3, 2018 7:49 AM
Mar 2015
Glad they cleared the air between them He now realizes how she feels He thought he had prove himself to her by winning the tournament and was upset that she let him win when her buttons were broken
Sep 3, 2018 8:50 AM

Dec 2016
Best episode ever! I felt bad for Ono losing a big fight with Haruo just because some bastard broke a button and were in big disadvantage :( I hope they will get a fair match at the end of this series.

That ring :O ... Her feelings is finaly showing in this episode! Ono is very adorable and mysterious at the same time X3
PurpleGirl203Sep 3, 2018 8:54 AM

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 3, 2018 9:29 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode. The fight scene after the tournament was very powerful. I feel bad for Hidaka.

Hidaka's "did something good happen" after seeing Haruo all beat up reminds me of Oshino Meme from the monogatari series.
Sep 3, 2018 9:52 AM

Aug 2014
I love how the characters are growing.
You really can feel the frustration, confusion and feelings of guilt on both characters during the last scene. When Onno finally listen to the Haruo feelings understanding that she was not replaced and Haruo finds the rings understanding that she has not forgotten him...

Also, the street fighter tournament was amazing, I love all the little details that you can see there... and was an intense final match.
kofmasterSep 3, 2018 9:55 AM
Sep 3, 2018 11:11 AM

Jan 2015
Wow, things really came to a head in Haruo’s and Ono’s relationship... And I was eating up every minute of it. I really love this series, and I equally dig the both of them. Of course, part of me feels bad for Koharu. But, what can ya do?
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Sep 3, 2018 8:36 PM

Sep 2010
The guy crying over the bath set was hilarious!
Sep 3, 2018 10:19 PM

Dec 2012
Dude her buttons... that was a small yet very powerful twist.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 4, 2018 8:05 PM

Nov 2011
Damn this was a pretty intense episode. WHENS ONO GONNA TALK DAMMIT! lol
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 5, 2018 3:37 AM
Dec 2017
Great episode,,,this episode very romantic 😍😍
Sep 5, 2018 5:03 AM

Feb 2018
Wow i exposed in this episode batle Ono VS Haruo most epic game battle,and relationsip Ono and Haruo is best couple ever.
Sep 5, 2018 5:04 AM

Feb 2018
UkarHikigaya said:
Great episode,,,this episode very romantic 😍😍
yahh this episode most epic romance
Sep 5, 2018 5:06 AM

Feb 2018
UImoetard said:
Great episode. The fight scene after the tournament was very powerful. I feel bad for Hidaka.

Hidaka's "did something good happen" after seeing Haruo all beat up reminds me of Oshino Meme from the monogatari series.
yahh most eipic battle but from episode 5 i smelt triangel love
Sep 5, 2018 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
You know, after a string of mostly "meh" episodes for me, I actually thought this episode was pretty good. Maybe it was the fact that Ono and Haruo actually interacted again, maybe it was because of the tournament, it just had something that the last few episodes lacked.

The love triangle isn't really doing it for me. The show was pretty good before Hidaka was introduced and I really liked this episode, where she didn't really appear. I'd say the problem with this love triangle is that, as cute as Hidaka and Haruo are, they aren't as strong as Ono and Haruo, and everyone sees it. It's obvious that Ono is the end game.

And if she isn't it's bullshit.
Sep 5, 2018 9:25 AM

Mar 2010
I'm glad to see Haruo and Ono together again. Hopefully, Hidaka will realize that they have more in common
Sep 5, 2018 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
if this slated for a half season or full season? The manga is on going so I guess there will likely be no pay off for the finale, they are just going to keep tip toeing around a relationship and then its going to end in homeostatis. Its also probable Ono won't say a goddamn word at all.

I want the payoff!!!!
Sep 5, 2018 11:56 AM

Apr 2017
The "turn right at the Indian" scene had me laughing for some reason. I'm glad they finally made up at the end, it was a really strong and emotional scene. I'm glad Haruo could finally say his thoughts to her, and Ono finally tell hers at least by the fact that she kept the ring if not by words. I kinda hope Ono finally talks at some point though. One has to admit it must be hard for Haruo to decipher her, since she never talks. Poor Haruo though, celebrating his win when Ono had such handicap. That must feel bad. I was getting a bit annoyed by how they were on a bad terms with Ono, so I'm looking forward for them to get along again. Poor Hidaka though, since it's clear she can't win against Ono once they made up. Still, I think Hidaka just isn't right girl for Haruo, and that only Ono can be the one. Maybe Hidaka can get together with Haruo's friend though. They will both be heartbroken after loosing in their romance, which could lead to them interacting. And I think they would go together better than with Haruo.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 6, 2018 12:23 AM

Oct 2008
The tournament was intense and of course both Haruo and Ono reached finals but it was an unsatisfying win for Haruo because the buttons of the arcade machine of Ono messed-up!
Ono Violent as ever!
But Haruo, you're now attacking girl? have some respect! oh man!
good thing both of them calmed down and made-up to each other.
5/5.

Sep 6, 2018 12:14 PM
Jan 2016
That episode remembered how i feel when i go into a game tournment, episode espressed it to well!

Haruo won cause of a button broken, poor both of them! Its hard to win when you know that you dont deserve it!

Intense scene at the end! To much violent!

But i enjoyed a lot this episode!
Sep 7, 2018 7:16 AM
Mar 2016
It is the best episode so far to me and I feel like it's so underrated :(
Sep 7, 2018 2:13 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Best episode so far. The drama was intense there at the end.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 13, 2018 9:47 PM

May 2013
Loved this episode , the tournament part was really cool and Oono beating Haruo afterward was really something
The guile and honda incrustation with characters of the animes was pleasing to see along with somes others arcade games too

Tuti_Nov 5, 2018 5:45 AM

Sep 14, 2018 10:27 AM

Dec 2014
well the protagonist got plummed by Ono.. damn the girl is strong…how they made up is complete mystery to me…
Sep 27, 2018 6:54 PM

Aug 2017
Haruo's friend likes Oono. I don't like her so much in this episode, she was a bit violent.

Street Fighter tournament was great! Hidaka gets friendzoned lol
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 28, 2018 11:48 PM

Jan 2011
Not quite as impactful as the manga, but still pretty good.
Oct 11, 2018 11:24 AM

May 2012
Lovely tournament, still bothers me that Ono doesn't say anything as a MC. Oh well that ending was quite nice though!
Oct 17, 2018 10:11 PM
Aug 2017
LETS GET IIIIIIIT. Fucking love this ep
Oct 20, 2018 11:26 AM

Mar 2014
jeez miyao and gorou (darling in the franxx) are real ones lol I hope miyao gets another girl cause id feel bad now
Nov 2, 2018 9:56 AM

Oct 2009
THAT's AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP RIGHT THERE!! Yaguchi go ur own way!
Dec 30, 2018 11:36 PM

Mar 2014
I had a feeling all she wanted to hear was that he missed her, and I'm glad he finally said it

Jan 2, 2019 6:42 AM
Nov 2010
Very good rl fight between Ono and mc. Very cute with the necklace and all. Although a bit too much unnecessary violence towards mc lel, but glad everything appears to be resolved. Feels very bad for hidaka. Shes trying so hard D:

Glad Netflix got this series. Seems very underrated. (I probably would have left it forever on my ptw list otherwise)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» is she autsitic

z0idberger - May 6

14 by z0idberger »»
May 19, 6:53 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 1 Discussion

Kuroko33 - Sep 4, 2018

35 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 29, 10:17 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 3 Discussion

nehnehneji - Aug 10, 2018

46 by Strikrr »»
Jan 5, 12:56 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2018

148 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 11:08 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2018

67 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 9:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.